Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to transfer a large some of money to somebody in England for a car purchase. Currency fair the way to go to save a few quid?

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
      Not cancelling St Patrick’s day celebrations is madness. Do it before people start travelling.
      Can you really cancel it bar parade and official events. Won't the masses travel to get messy in the pubs and slobber all over each other anyhow?
      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
        Can you really cancel it bar parade and official events. Won't the masses travel to get messy in the pubs and slobber all over each other anyhow?
        Cancelling parades and official events across the country an excellent start. Doing it early even better.
        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
          Cancelling parades and official events across the country an excellent start. Doing it early even better.
          Really

I'm genuinely confused as to the logic or the rights and wrongs underlying any of this.

Cancel parades across the country and you have to shut down schools, colleges, why not pubs and restaurants, all sports, church gatherings weddings funerals communion's and confirmations etc. ad nauseam

I guess what your saying is that what happened in China and we should follow suit.
          I don't think that can happen here.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Bruce Aylward, World Health Organization Joint Mission to China:

"I think the key learning from China is speed — it’s all about the speed. The faster you can find the cases, isolate the cases, and track their close contacts, the more successful you’re going to be. [...]
              Sure it'll be grand, party on. Aren't the hospitals half empty.

Comment

It’s mutating into the BORE-ONA virus at this stage, amirite?

Comment

NO...

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    Really

I'm genuinely confused as to the logic or the rights and wrongs underlying any of this.

Cancel parades across the country and you have to shut down schools, colleges, why not pubs and restaurants, all sports, church gatherings weddings funerals communion's and confirmations etc. ad nauseam

I guess what your saying is that what happened in China and we should follow suit.
                    I don't think that can happen here.
                    My memory is a bit hazy for foot and mouth, but wasn't the parade/Cheltenham/most major events cancelled?

Comment

Yeah they were cancelled, as that posed a threat to our economy, this only killz people.

Comment

Some day for Kildare sport.

All Kildare Senior Cup.
                        My old bucks, Naas CBS, 3 in a row Leinster Schools GAA Finals.
                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Science will id and nail this virus . So many labs so many scientists. But 1st another mass

Comment

The response of the UK vs Ireland may offer an interesting use case of how EU directives which Ireland have employed differ in their effectiveness from those of the UK.

The UK are currently not initiating the centralised closure of schools which is also the official position of Ireland but I suspect the closures may persist here.

One of the primary differences which I think is a good idea from the UK where possible is:

Originally posted by IT! View Post
                            One of the biggest differences in approach between Ireland the UK relates to self-isolation. In the UK, people arriving from areas with ongoing community transmission of Covid-19 are being asked to isolate themselves for 14 days after arriving back. This means they have to stay at home and not go to work or school.

In contrast, Ireland is not asking people who return from areas where there is community transmission of the disease to isolate themselves – unless they develop symptoms. This is because Ireland is following the guidelines laid down by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, to which the UK no longer belongs.
                            SPOILER

Comment

Icelands entry to the Eurovision. Laolao . DP

Winner winner ?

Comment

Perhaps extend the Eurovision and include this:
                                Hi everyone. I came across the video and liked it so much, I translated the lyrics into English and add as subtitles. The original video is here: https://www...

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                  Have to transfer a large some of money to somebody in England for a car purchase. Currency fair the way to go to save a few quid?
                                  Transferwise is good also

Comment

Bernie getting shafted again. Surprised nobody likes Bloomberg. And Biden, the candidate with more advanced dementia than Trump, wow.
                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                      Science will id and nail this virus . So many labs so many scientists. But 1st another mass
                                      Zuutroy is on it. When not spreading fake news.
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                        Bernie getting shafted again.
                                        How?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                          How?
                                          Ah, I'm not seriously trying to think about or follow it really. Just the feeling that every other pulling out candidate is supporting Biden.
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Ah, I'm not seriously trying to think about or follow it really. Just the feeling that every other pulling out candidate is supporting Biden.
                                            Warren will probably support Bernie when she withdraws.

That is the nature of the game though. And Bloomberg will support Biden too.

Comment

Bernie being shafted by Democratic politicians withdrawing from the race and supporting another Democrat rather than an independent trying to run under the Democratic Party banner for his own benefit.

The BASTARDS.
                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

In other news, this might be the single worst take I've ever seen from Hitch.

Comment

Read this Hitch: https://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...ackage=1125551

"All military spending does is encourage militaries to war to justify their budgets"
                                                  That is a beyond ridiculous soundbite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                    Yeah they were cancelled, as that posed a threat to our economy, this only killz people.
                                                    On the one hand, there might be severe economic disruption. On the other hand, it might clear up a big hole in our pension funds and release a lot of underutilised housing.
                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        Theres a lot of competition in the worst take category, in fairness.
                                                        You're consistent I'll give you that.

This one is particularly egregious.

Comment

Comment

I do feel its right though. Sure spend on cyber and marine defense, as this has a broader use in terms of advancing tech (first) and preventing smuggling (second), and further expand the army rangers unit (for individual threats). But the idea that we should be buying a billion euro worth of fighter pilots to scare off over-flying Russian aircraft is madness - that was the most recent proposal. Why the fck should be care about that when there's so much more pressing and productive demands on public spending.

Military spending is a form of insurance, and like all insurance we should weigh the actual risks versus the actual rewards of increased spending. The whole equation breaks down very quickly on both sides. There's very little actual risk nor has there been for about 90 years, and there's very little benefit or risk averted from increased spending.

A small exception is on military wages, which are shockingly low and should be decent like everyone in society is entitled to.

You are arguing against yourself here. You started out saying that we are the only sane ones because we spend so little. Now you are positively arguing that we need to expand cyber security (a point you're only making because someone pointed it out to you in that twitter thread), upgrade the navy and increase military pay across the board. So, in short, you are in favour of increased military spending which you started out saying was insane.

How do you actually manage to hold these two views in your head at the same time? You must see the contradiction.

You also suggested that increased military spend encourages militaries to war so as to justify the spend which is, as Murdrum pointed out, patently wrong.

Comment

Another election must be off the cards now, cant risk people getting contaminated in booths and using dirty pencils, mass gatherings in count centers ?
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

The two biggest costs of US military spending is wages and health insurance.

Retrenchment sounds like a great idea as is pumping all your resources into re-educating the force, R&D and skeleton forces abroad but it's more complex.

The US has maintained the strongest economy in the world largely because they can offer military & strategic support to areas such as the Middle East and Europe.

The economic advantages which have been obtained as a result of this "sphere of influence" will not be as easy to maintain without troops on the ground.

A very easy example against retrenchment is that the cost of bringing troops home is often more expensive than stationing them abroad because foreign governments subsidise the housing, training and deployment of the troops.
                                                                  They're cheaper to leave abroad, not to mention offering a salient example support.

Here's another flaw of military cuts:
                                                                  Warren’s call for “shutting down a slush fund for defense spending”—liquidating the entire Overseas Contingency Operations account and using the freed-up money for nondefense priorities. That proposal is also deeply misguided: the majority of the account covers expenses not directly related to the U.S. presence in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria. It pays for efforts as varied as the stationing of ground and air forces in Europe, naval operations in the Persian Gulf and the Indian Ocean, and the ability to scramble jets over American cities in the event of an emergency.

There are definite flaws in strategy where HQ staff and R&D are often the first port of call to see cuts which is counterproductive to the LT goal but less spending = less war is an oversimplification.

That said, as always, love your stuff Hitch.

Comment

Comment

Theres a lot of competition in the worst take category, in fairness.
                                                                      Feels like you are just trying to draw the eye away from your theory that freedom is completely overrated.

You need to do an anti-vax thing on Coronavirus to really set yourself apart from the herd though.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well hotspur is presumably deep in the library trying to find a situation where people have clearly valued freedom over economics, its vanishingly rare today that people actually consider that human right as important as economic human rights unless you go back to an earlier time in history where that was an important factor. Thus the people have spoken on what human rights they most value. Unsurprisingly its quite similar to Maslow and similar rankings - people value most the basic human rights and only after these are achieved do they care about the higher rights written about by rich French philosophers.
                                                                            All sounds great, until the roundups begin.

Comment

...

Comment

Meh, its rather superficial freedom to be living in Naas and commuting for three hours a day to a shit job so that your Monday to Friday is exclusively taken up with work, you can't see your family, and weekends are spent recovering from the week of work. On paper you have more freedom, but your freedom in practice is 'academic'.

Comment

Well hotspur is presumably deep in the library trying to find a situation where people have clearly valued freedom over economics, its vanishingly rare today that people actually consider that human right as important as economic human rights unless you go back to an earlier time in history where that was an important factor. Thus the people have spoken on what human rights they most value. Unsurprisingly its quite similar to Maslow and similar rankings - people value most the basic human rights and only after these are achieved do they care about the higher rights written about by rich French philosophers.
                                                                                  You're the canary in the mine Hitch.

Team America OST.Sound track may be explicit. Proceed at your own caution."Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is mad...

Comment

Ireland the only sane nation in a community that hasn't had a war in 80 years and has no foreseeable war in its future.
                                                                                    No chance of a war?
                                                                                    Isn’t there a risk that some violent nation could invade a European country that they see as easy pickings?
                                                                                    Probably not, I wonder why.

Comment

Bernie getting shafted again. Surprised nobody likes Bloomberg. And Biden, the candidate with more advanced dementia than Trump, wow.
                                                                                      If Mayor Pete Buttigiegguiggegiuggieg was to run in the next 8 elections he would still be younger then than any of the remaining candidates in this election are now
                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                        No chance of a war?
                                                                                        Isn’t there a risk that some violent nation could invade a European country that they see as easy pickings?
                                                                                        Probably not, I wonder why.
                                                                                        Nitpick: Russia has invaded several European countries recently. No EU ones though.

Comment

Nitpick: Russia has invaded several European countries recently. No EU ones though.
                                                                                          True. Probably slightly lazy and imprecise from me. I was referring only European community that Hitch referenced and not the entire continent.

Comment

The right to free water was an example where the people completely ignored the actual economics of the fact (ie it was actually a solid financial necessity) over their human rights to have ‘free’ running water on TAP. They even imprisoned an evil water meter monger in her car to demonstrate the ferocity of their feeling

I’d say if you removed Wifi access from the masses there would possibly be a civil war. I’m not sure if this agrees or disagree with your point as I’m trying desperately to stay awake at a meaningless conference. (FREEDOM)

On a lighter (not by much) note. It’s not that long ago since the brits shot random Irishmen for being Irish and most likely dodgy opponents to the crown. However is it too fancy to imagine a future where brexit collapses the UK economy, the fear of the latest strain of flu pandemic and the fact that we have great Michelin Star Restaurants in Ireland not provoke a reawakening within the hearts of our former landlords to perhaps engage in some Colonial tinkering. John Bull has changed a wee bit but he’s still John Bull at heart. They probably sent Willie Windsor over to overlook their ol preserve. In light of recent political unlikeliness in recent years I wouldn’t rule ‘ANYTHING’ out. Having said that, the Irish Navy could be sunk in a wee rowing accident in a lake when some Cork lads push hard like a dog and sink our battleships. Ooops gotta go , people think I’m working.

Comment

True. Probably slightly lazy and imprecise from me. I was referring only European community that Hitch referenced and not the entire continent.
                                                                                              Just to point out that we have a highly aggressive and malign (in all senses) actor on our Eastern flank.

so, yeah, let's scrap all military spending...

Comment

Thus the people have spoken on what human rights they most value. Unsurprisingly its quite similar to Maslow and similar rankings - people value most the basic human rights and only after these are achieved do they care about the higher rights written about by rich French philosophers.
                                                                                                Maslow's hierarchy of needs was not based on empirical data and has never been found by psychologists to be accurate. Also Maslow never produced that pyramid or believed that you satisfy the motivations sequentially. The pyramid is a management book creation.

Maslow was very unhappy that business people took his writings on achieving the fullness and creativity of being human and put them in a mere economic or financial framework.

And now to the nub of it. You don't see freedom in Maslow's hierarchy, and it is certainly not, as you seem to suppose, in the higher categories of self-actualisation or self-transcendence. Maslow believed that freedom - freedom of expression, and living in a free and fair society - were preconditions for achieving the whole framework of needs he created.

But Maslow aside, I think you're completely wrong about this.

Comment

...

Comment

I disagree with pretty much every sentence of that.

But if you were minded to analyse the causes that get people to protest these days, you could analyse the major protests around the world in 2019 and ascertain the cause(s). I guess here would be a good start (scroll down to Geographical Distribution to see the major protests in the world last year and the cause):

Comment

Says a lot about the calibre of people involved in horseracing that they are trying to push ahead with Cheltenham

Comment

Just to point out that we have a highly aggressive and malign (in all senses) actor on our Eastern flank.

so, yeah, let's scrap all military spending...
                                                                                                        You're hardly talking about Trump? The least aggressive least interventionist president for the last 30 years?

Comment

What'd be the best type of chart/graph to put the below data into?

It's a Henderson = Important & Fabinho = Hindrance type thing.

Cheers

ALL Liverpool matches this season (45 in total)

Liverpool with Henderson:

Games: 33
                                                                                                          Wins 28
                                                                                                          Draws: 3
                                                                                                          Losses: 2
                                                                                                          Win%: 84.85
                                                                                                          G P/G: 2.12
                                                                                                          GA P/G: 0.73

Liverpool without Henderson:

Games: 12
                                                                                                          Wins: 7
                                                                                                          Draws: 2
                                                                                                          Losses: 3
                                                                                                          Win%: 58.33
                                                                                                          G P/G: 1.92
                                                                                                          GA P/G: 1.83

Liverpool with Fabinho:

Games: 28
                                                                                                          Wins: 20
                                                                                                          Draws: 4
                                                                                                          Losses: 4
                                                                                                          Win%: 71.43
                                                                                                          G P/G: 2.04
                                                                                                          GA P/G: 1.11

Liverpool without Fabinho:

Games: 17
                                                                                                          Wins: 15
                                                                                                          Draws: 1
                                                                                                          Losses: 1
                                                                                                          Win%: 88.23
                                                                                                          G P/G: 2.12
                                                                                                          GA P/G: 0.88

Liverpool without Fabinho and Henderson:

Games: 5
                                                                                                          Wins: 3
                                                                                                          Draws: 1
                                                                                                          Losses: 1
                                                                                                          Win%: 60
                                                                                                          G P/G: 1.80
                                                                                                          GA P/G: 2.00

Liverpool with Henderson and without Fabinho:

Games: 12
                                                                                                          Wins: 12
                                                                                                          Draws: 0
                                                                                                          Losses: 0
                                                                                                          Win%: 100
                                                                                                          G P/G: 2.25
                                                                                                          GA P/G: 0.42
                                                                                                          Last edited by TheJiggaman; 04-03-20, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                            You're hardly talking about Trump? The least aggressive least interventionist president for the last 30 years?
                                                                                                            RDIII is talking about ---> way.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                              Trump is in the opposite direction.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                                                                What'd be the best type of chart/graph to put the below data into?

It's a Henderson = Important & Fabinho = Hindrance type thing.

Cheers
                                                                                                                Well as a starting point, you should pretty much never use a pie chart.

What I would do is download a free copy of Power BI and upload what I'm guessing is an excel workbook unless you're using SQL.

Create a matrix with the data, columns being those in bold, rows being all the appropriate stats.

Let that take up half the page and then play around with the different graphics on the other half to find something that is visually more appealing than a simple matrix.

Comment

Even Trump fans are paranoid on his behalf . Tis a sect

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                                    Well as a starting point, you should pretty much never use a pie chart.

What I would do is download a free copy of Power BI and upload what I'm guessing is an excel workbook unless you're using SQL.

Create a matrix with the data, columns being those in bold, rows being all the appropriate stats.

Let that take up half the page and then play around with the different graphics on the other half to find something that is visually more appealing than a simple matrix.
                                                                                                                    Have PowerBI here in work so I'll give that a go.

Didn't fancy Tableau for this.

I create it on a work product...

..and then export via CSV (unless I just manually want to create the graph/chart if it's easy data)

Last edited by TheJiggaman; 04-03-20, 13:56.

Comment

unless you go the whole way round

Comment

He's in both directions. It's just faster one way!

Comment

Was just making sure!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X