Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Was speaking to the surgeon today about the heart operation. He was saying there's a 2% mortality risk in the 30 days post surgery. Which seems very fucking high. I said '2% just seems like a huge amount more than 0%'. He goes well it would be a big increase for me as my heart is great. But you need to consider your base rate mortality from the heart the way it is. This all sounds well and good, but he managed to say it in such a way, with a kinda dismissive hand gesture towards my chest, that I felt he was insulting my heart. Decided to not be defensive and just laugh along given he will personally cutting open my chest and ripping out my poor tattered heart valve. They don't train these folk in bedside manner. I think my heart is lovely.

There was a trainee surgeon in the room and I don't know how she'll get into the profession. Drop dead gorgeous and a wee thing. Yet some day soon she'll be there with the saw cutting open bodies. It could be the beginning of a very weird fetish.
    I would be pretty happy with those odds!

Our eldest hopes to be a Cardiologist once she qualifies, but more towards Electrophysiology than surgery. I know she is a good looking girl and I wonder if others will wonder when she is a Junior Doctor why a good looking girl is a Doctor!

Comment

Coronavirus panic is in full swing in Malta, with people emptying supermarkets of essentials like World War 3, a hurricane and a zombie apocalypse are all about to hit at once. However, the truth is that – even if COVID-19 does make it Malta – the chances of the virus killing you are very remote, […]

Could be posted from most Country's

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
        Expect to see Solks out "jogging" with Lazare shortly

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Jaybers, they seem to be all mad for the auld deviancy out Solk's way.

Purely coincidental of course.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

I feel sorry for rugby fans with the Ireland v's Italy game being cancelled.

A lot of them have already forked out money that they may not be able to get back.

I'd say the most of them want to see the game go ahead but still want to make sure people are safe.

They're caught between Blackrock and a hard place...

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

surely!
                  Nah, you've gone too far now!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Kathryn Thomas. Yey or neigh? You will be judged on your answer .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Many many rumours doing the rounds on the actual cause of the attack. Along with copious pics and vids of her other exploits.
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                        Many many rumours doing the rounds on the actual cause of the attack. Along with copious pics and vids of her other exploits.
                        It would want to be fairly out there content as she seemed fairly shameless going by the stuff she was seemingly happy to share.
                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                          It would want to be fairly out there content as she seemed fairly shameless going by the stuff she was seemingly happy to share.
                          She ran a site, Google the name and use the link of not the domain but a site related to collars....

Also lol @who has two of three surviving tweets to her
                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 26-02-20, 22:58.
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Activating my 2020 one time for Cheltenham to be cancelled due to Coronavirus please

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              Kathryn Thomas. Yey or neigh? You will be judged on your answer .
                              Not No neigh never

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 26-02-20, 23:08.
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                expect netflix to pick this up,

green is the new orange is the new black

she should be ok

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                  Steve Elkington on it last year talking about Monty had me in tears!
                                  Listened to this today. Brilliant. Elk says some dumb shit at times, really dumb shit, and he's a very easy target but he comes across well enough in that.
                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

What are people saying?

Still a touch freaked out at the possibility she was out to kill the first person she saw.
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Lots of mask wearing at Dublin Airport

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                        I'm here now and it's < 0.5%

Comment

In Finglas the poor post office staff don't know if they are being robbed or Wha?

Comment

My wife and toddler heading off to southern Germany tomorrow for the weekend via Basel airport, will be interesting to hear about their experience, what % of the Ryanair flight there will be wearing masks, etc...

I probably mentioned this before, I flew into Hong Kong a few days into the start of the SARS outbreak, stayed a few days, headed down to Singapore (another SARS hotspot) and Malaysia for a few days before coming back to HK for another two days ahead of my flight back to San Francisco. The initial few days in HK saw maybe 10% of people wearing a mask, by the last few days practically everyone was wearing a mask outdoors, was a bit freaky (and I felt a little bad not wearing one myself).

When I got back to SF my girlfriend's housemate was panicked enough to move out of the apartment for a few days just in case I had caught anything!

I don't think I'll be quarantining my family when they get back on Monday

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                              I'm here now and it's < 0.5%
                                              Approx 15 people on the flight wearing them.

Comment

We've a trip to Siena booked for end of March. My wife starting to lose her shit now because there is a few cases confirmed in Tuscany, hopefully there isn't a major outbreak there and it'll be grand. I'm personally more concerned about the prospect of Cheltenham being cancelled.

Comment

i'd say the Euros would be seriously in doubt now as well tbh

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                    i'd say the Euros would be seriously in doubt now as well tbh
                                                    If any euros deserves to cancelled it’s this one
                                                    Stupid idea spreading the hosting and idiotic expansion meaning qualifying isn’t even really an achievement anymore (although looks like we will still fuck it up)
                                                    Cheltenham being cancelled would be bliss though
                                                    Olympics meh
                                                    Hope it doesn’t derail Liverpool’s victory March though

Comment

Originally posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
                                                      I'm personally more concerned about the prospect of Cheltenham being cancelled.
                                                      Horses are immune. 900 squids in the Tipping Comp pot already.

Sign up today and you can have your name etched on the honours board of this storied contest.

Comment

Trump obv thinks the US is fucked if he's delegating the issue to Pence.

Comment

Heartwarming article about how little we know about the brain
                                                          AI GTFO
                                                          The long read: For decades it has been the dominant metaphor in neuroscience. But could this idea have been leading us astray all along?

Big data is not knowledge.

Comment

People back in work today from Barcelona, were walking past the hospital with the infected person, how they realised it was in BCN. I was stuck between them and a guy back from skiing in Italy in a meeting reading an article saying how it is inevitable that it spreads here, no shit!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                              My wife and toddler heading off to southern Germany tomorrow for the weekend via Basel airport, will be interesting to hear about their experience, what % of the Ryanair flight there will be wearing masks, etc...

I probably mentioned this before, I flew into Hong Kong a few days into the start of the SARS outbreak, stayed a few days, headed down to Singapore (another SARS hotspot) and Malaysia for a few days before coming back to HK for another two days ahead of my flight back to San Francisco. The initial few days in HK saw maybe 10% of people wearing a mask, by the last few days practically everyone was wearing a mask outdoors, was a bit freaky (and I felt a little bad not wearing one myself).

When I got back to SF my girlfriend's housemate was panicked enough to move out of the apartment for a few days just in case I had caught anything!

I don't think I'll be quarantining my family when they get back on Monday
                                                              Impressive: a wife here and a girlfriend in sanfran. What's your secret?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                Heartwarming article about how little we know about the brain
                                                                AI GTFO
                                                                The long read: For decades it has been the dominant metaphor in neuroscience. But could this idea have been leading us astray all along?

Big data is not knowledge.
                                                                Was always a fan of this guys approach

Comment

Was always a fan of this guys approach
                                                                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3...ADguez_Delgado
                                                                  I find it hard to look too far beyond Bostrom on anything AI related, he just seems to be on a different level to anyone else I've heard or read.

Something that seems interesting though is Mind in Motion, the link between movement and thought: https://www.wsj.com/articles/mind-in...gs-11565967005

You'd recognise the author's name, her husband is regarded as the talent behind Kahneman and all the behavioural economics work that came from them, 100% would have received a Nobel but obviously couldn't.

Comment

A professor of microbiology at Trinity College Dublin has said it is inevitable that coronavirus will arrive in Ireland.

Dr Kim Roberts said there is no need to panic but preparations should be made for COVID-19 and consideration as to how the impact can be lessened as much as possible.

FFS RTE, Denny Crane from IPB has been saying that for ages.

Comment

No there isnt
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                        No there isnt
                                                                        Yeah just went through and only noticed 3 mask wearers the whole time, two of whom were a selfie taking couple so were hopeless causes to begin with.
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                          Trump obv thinks the US is fucked if he's delegating the issue to Pence.
                                                                          It's a bit like Leo keeping Harris in Health.

Obviously fucked off with Pence's moralizing.

Comment

Comment

Doctors appointment now, text Mia walk over to me after school . Her reply
                                                                              I'll walk home, I don't want corona thanks.

Ah the walk will do her good supose lol
                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Good man, stick to the official state big brother comical ali line of denial, denial, denial. We know what Laz saw.
                                                                                lol

'lots' was about 6 people in the terminal in fairness, but there was about 15 on the flight.

6 non Asians wearing masks in Dublin Airport is certainly noteworthy.

Comment

13000 people died of flu in the UK in 2013
                                                                                  Wanna see those kind of numbers before I get the beans in

Comment

If below is the case the surely might as well let it roll instead of damaging economy with excessive restrictions in

The emerging consensus among epidemiologists is that the most likely outcome of this outbreak is a new seasonal disease—a fifth “endemic” coronavirus. With the other four, people are not known to develop long-lasting immunity. If this one follows suit, and if the disease continues to be as severe as it is now, “cold and flu season” could become “cold and flu and COVID-19 season.”

Comment

Hitch can you get on the phone to the guys in this article, they don’t know about the vaccine you mentioned that’s ready to go , they think absolute best case timeline for one being available is 12-18 months.
                                                                                      Most cases are not life-threatening, which is also what makes the virus a historic challenge to contain.

Comment

We should go full Israel world war Z.
                                                                                        Close the airports. Stop all landings.

On a serious note, I wonder what the break even point for doing that actually is vs allowing people to spread Willy nilly.

Anyway I’m off to Phoenix too look at tittles and play golf.

Peace.
                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

On a serious note, I wonder what the break even point for doing that actually is vs allowing people to spread Willy nilly.
                                                                                          I'll try dig out an interesting Twitter thread I read this morning: it said (based on research carried out by the UK government in the past) that restricting air travel by 90% would delay a pandemic by 1-2 weeks. Restricting by 99.9% would delay the pandemic by 2 months.

Comment

The case in Japan being reported where the patient was cleared having recovered from the virus but subsequently tested positive once again a number of weeks later is the only case which has given me any mild fear.

For anyone else: https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...-for-2nd-time/

Comment

Hmmmmm ... I wonder would they do in Cheltenham what they are talking about for football matches in Italy, ie, let the races take place but with no spectators (?). Pretty grim that I reckon - but better than calling the whole thing off ???

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Had the ol paramedics at me today. Severe upper chest pain. Heart was given the all clear . HR was 54. BP perfect . Bit of a mystery. One hour I coulnt move bloods tomorrow but not confident that will show anything. Who knows . Glad the ticker is good though .

Comment

...

Comment

Pray for Eamo

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                        Cuntz. Close the place for a week to be safe I reckon
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Could be merely a job for Rennies solks with heartburn. I'd say it was highly scary all the same.
                                                                                                          Not heartburn. I wouldnt waste paramedic time like that . Literally coulnt move. The brother is a paramedic told me to get bloods done. Could be my lungs but zero cough etc. Strange fecking thing.
                                                                                                          Last edited by Solksjaer!; 27-02-20, 19:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                            Teeth out for the Boys in Green

Comment

...

Comment

Hope it didn't come across as flippant! I meant not to worry - which I'd say you were and are - as it might be just something simple that felt bigger. The bloodwork tomorrow tells fairly quickly if there's anything to do with the heart anyway. Think it takes maybe two hours so you get the answer quickly.
                                                                                                                I was strangely calm about it. Like a drugged fugitive about to be beheaded Just wanted relief and it over with.

Comment

Hope it didn't come across as flippant! I meant not to worry - which I'd say you were and are - as it might be just something simple that felt bigger. The bloodwork tomorrow tells fairly quickly if there's anything to do with the heart anyway. Think it takes maybe two hours so you get the answer quickly.
                                                                                                                  I wouldn't be confident on that two-hour turn around for bloodwork results, he's not in France! My mother had to wait 12 hours in the hospital two weeks ago for some blood results as they wouldn't discharge her until they had them.

Comment

...

Comment

Ah. I thought it was the mechanics of the test itself. That it gives an immediate reading but then needs to be taken again two hours later. Anyways that's beside the point maybe. Yeah bloods here are ridic efficient. Mostly outsourced to private providers who compete on speed. Socialist France absolutely loves the private sector and benefits immensely from it. Mind you it's all paid for by health insurance which for me is about €600 a month, so there's no such thing as a free lunch. But €400 is paid by employers, so doesn't seem like a cost even though your salary is ultimately reduced by that amount.
                                                                                                                      It basically goes, wait a few hours to get your blood taken, and go and wait on those comfy plastic seats. Results may come back in two hours but you have to wait until a doctor actually gets around to look at them and call you back in. I posted this three years ago.

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                                                      If you go for a private screening and the results show that you need treatment is there any issue going back to the public system? I know it'll be a long wait for treatment but I'm curious as my mother (medical card holder so no insurance) has been told she needs to get an Angiogram but there's at least an 18 month wait for that so I'd rather go private to get the Angiogram and find out if any treatment is required as quick as possible.
                                                                                                                      Angiogram wait wasn't quite 18 months, about half of that. After that it was a stress test and was told she needs to see a specialist, has that appointment in May this year. So just the three year wait to go from you need an Angiogram to seeing a specialist to diagnose whether she'll need surgery. What I'm saying is don't have health issues without private health care in Ireland or it'll be a long wait!

Has since been told she will likely need surgery for a totally different ailment but needs to see a specialist first, just the 12 month wait for that.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 27-02-20, 20:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                                        We 100% have cases here already.
                                                                                                                        Just stop fucking around and say its gonna happen.
                                                                                                                        My cto had the wonderful idea of just suggesting we pause all travel and trade for two months.
                                                                                                                        Titans of industry...

Comment

We 100% have cases here already.
                                                                                                                          Just stop fucking around and say its gonna happen.
                                                                                                                          My cto had the wonderful idea of just suggesting we pause all travel and trade for two months.
                                                                                                                          Titans of industry...
                                                                                                                          Probably not the best to let the Irish people know of any pandemic. We stockpiled all the bread in the country because of a few inches of snow. Calm and measured is not our typical response.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X