Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see DCU is going to be offering what I presume is roughly going to be the same masters as the Limerick one that started recently in Artificial Intelligence in conjunction with Skillnet Ireland.

Brand new 2 year part-time MSc in Computing (Artificial Intelligence) delivered primarily online via Dublin City University

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Although, and this is maybe a circular issue - but if everyone is using cards then how to shop tills have cash given they are the main cash machines now?
      Cash still accounts for over 40% of retail sales, so they most likely recycle larger notes if they do offer cashback and buy fivers and tenners from the likes of G4S.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
          Feel a bit dirty. Just backed liverpool to win the league by 20 points or more. Giddy up
          Jaysus. Fairly big step for this bet tonight. The Vegas trip is still alive. 19 points clear, beat city to go 22.clear and just match their results for the remainder. Gonna use a one time.

Comment

That looks decent, although I'm very surprised by:

1. Lack of probability foundational learning
            2. Nothing on data management infrastructures
            3. Why start with research methods? I'd say that could be an awful module full of vague generalisations as its far too early in the process.

Strikes me as there should be more modules overall really to ensure a depth of learning. Twelve being the standard number for a Masters.

On the plus side: INSIGHT is one of Europe's best data analytics research groups, so the branding on the Masters will be brill, and there is some excellent modules there. Although bear in mind you have to have a computer science undergrad degree to be able to enroll.
            CS background isn't a problem but committing 2 years to a fairly full-on part-time masters maybe is but it just seems like such a great low cost oportunity to get a masters in AI . How much would the fact that Limerick has already gone through a cycle of the course sway your decision in doing it through them? I presume they are linked quite closely given both are developed in conjunction with ICT Skillnets but they do seem quite different - Limerick one. The added Kudos from the links with the INSIGHT center that you point out is an interesting plus for DCU. The one in Limerick also does a 12-week prep course that everyone regardless of qualifications/experience has to attend that I don't see on the DCU one.

Opr
            Last edited by Opr; 29-01-20, 23:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
              It has been mentioned in the past but Japan is pretty interesting.

One of the most technologically advanced countries in the world yet insist on using cash for a much larger proportion of their transactions than most countries.
              Probably the fault of their centenarians
              Last edited by Denny Crane; 30-01-20, 08:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                The quote is normally attributed to Henry Ford. A truly disgusting fascist, the quote refers to a conspiracy of worldwide Jewish backed moneylenders undermining national governments.

So, not a typical HJ quote
                I'm surprised at you Kayroo, he didn't actually say it. In any case, I don't think you can read your interpretation into the words at all. Many people quote Churchill speeches, it wouldn't be fair to accuse them of supporting his policy of diverting food away from Bengal killing 3 million Indians.

Keeping it brief, you can't separate the banking system from Government, the two are inextricably linked. If they weren't linked then the Irish exchequer wouldn't have bailed the banks out for €60 Billion in recent memory. An ATM fee like this affects the poorer sector of society more than the rich, who already profit from the system being setup in the their favour. If you're on minimum wage this is not an insubstantial amount of money.

Comment

Is the line 'turn that jungle music down ' racist ?
                  Can be heard in the Classic 'Babylon Sisters ' .

Comment

Limerick Macra na Feirme Table Quiz Champions 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                      I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

People need to get their pitchforks out for hotels that pretend to be environmental by leaving you with dirty towels.

There are real problems here people.
                      I put the pillows in the bath upon checkout...
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Took me 10 minutes to walk to the local pub, it took me 30 minutes to walk back. The difference is staggering.

Comment

Does anybody take any vitamin/energy supplements at all?

Over the last few months, I seem to be absolutely wiped by about 9:30/10pm (Yes, I know I am getting old, no need to point this out )

I generally am very weary of taking any kind of supplements, totally weird internal paranoia nonsense.

The diet is generally very good. Overwhelming majority of meals are prepared from scratch with very little processed foods/take aways, etc and get a good feed of fruit/veg every day.

I've started back exercising (after a long break) which should help boost energy levels but can't help feel that I could do with something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                            I'm surprised at you Kayroo, he didn't actually say it. In any case, I don't think you can read your interpretation into the words at all. Many people quote Churchill speeches, it wouldn't be fair to accuse them of supporting his policy of diverting food away from Bengal killing 3 million Indians.

Keeping it brief, you can't separate the banking system from Government, the two are inextricably linked. If they weren't linked then the Irish exchequer wouldn't have bailed the banks out for €60 Billion in recent memory. An ATM fee like this affects the poorer sector of society more than the rich, who already profit from the system being setup in the their favour. If you're on minimum wage this is not an insubstantial amount of money.
                            I'm surprised at you HectorJelly. I said the quote was attributed to him, not that he said it. The person who originally attributed it to him was Russell Maguire in an opinion piece entitled "How Internationalists Gain Power". I attributed it to Ford (as Maguire did) because of the two, Ford was the lesser fascist and I was giving you the benefit of the doubt for who did say it.

Maguire, who you clearly did know about and quoted, is truly a despicable fascist. To quote his words in any context is abhorrent. The quote has precisely the meaning I ascribe to it. In the essay where it appears the "international financiers" are juxtaposed with Christians through the single line "Christ fought for you - the individual".

When the FBI investigated a complaint made by Maguire that the CIA had been infiltrated by subversives, this is what the FBI agent in charge of the investigation concluded about Maguire:

Originally posted by FBI Field Agent Report to J Edgar Hoover, 11 February 1958
                            “He said that the powerful subversive organization that has the U.S. Government under its influence is made up of Zionists. He said it’s the aim of the Zionists to take over the entire world, and their influence reaches into the higher echelons in the U.S. Government. According to Maguire, Zionists started World War I in order to set up the Communist Government of Russia. He added that Communism is just an offshoot of Zionism. He said that the Zionists planned and initiated World War II in order to set up the country of Israel and they are planning World War III in order to take over the entire world. Maguire stated that the headquarters of the Zionist movement is not in Russia nor in Israel but is located in New York City.
                            You can ascribe whatever meaning you want to it, but I wouldn't quote Mein Kampf and attempt to give it a better spin and I'd expect to have the appropriate social stigma attached to doing so.
                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

@RAOUL did you spot any value in election markets? Apols if already posted

@Dobby what price were pool for that bet? Sweat anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Over the last few months, I seem to be absolutely wiped by about 9:30/10pm (Yes, I know I am getting old, no need to point this out )

I generally am very weary of taking any kind of supplements, totally weird internal paranoia nonsense.

The diet is generally very good. Overwhelming majority of meals are prepared from scratch with very little processed foods/take aways, etc and get a good feed of fruit/veg every day.

I've started back exercising (after a long break) which should help boost energy levels but can't help feel that I could do with something else?
                                Possibly worth going for a blood test and health screening before embarking on any trial and error with supplements to boost energy levels. People will recommend a variety of different concoctions to boost yourself but there may be a deficiency there that you're not aware of or a change in your diet you're not accounting for.

The exercise will help boost your energy levels from the point of view of serotonin and dopamine boosts but if you're exercising more perhaps you're in a deficit of calories which will cause tiredness. Also, what is your sleep like? If you're not getting the best part of 8 hours it can be detrimental to your health.

Read that sleep book that Denny put us all on to, it will scare the shit out of you.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post

Green overs at 8.5 but the line has moved to 11.5 now.

Must have a look when I get a few mins. Feels like an incredibly low-key election. No flyers in the door, no candidates calling, none even hanging around shops etc. Might be because my consituency is 1/20 all the main contenders.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The obvious one would be to cut back on alcohol , you seem to enjoy your wine (not being a cunt btw)
                                    I just don’t bother anymore unless I’ve a blank slate next day , once I hit my mid thirties it’s like someone flicked a switch. Even 2-3 beers at home I’ll feel it next day.
                                    Energy/vitamin supplements are mostly woo, and expensive cynically mRketed woo at thT. My teeth start grinding anytime I pass a Holland &Barrett or health food shop

Comment

Only canvassers we've had to the door have been for Neale Richmond (FG, currently a senator, has come across very well in recent years and raised his profile by going out to bat for the government on Brexit), last week, and Shane Ross (Ind.).

Last general election, only canvassers for Josepha Madigan (FG) came to the door, no-one else. Probably says something about the estate, but whatever about the looney left or SF nutters, why don't FF or SD or Labour bother?

Last time out I think I gave my #1 to Catherine Martin (Greens), who duly was elected but haven't seen hide nor hair of her since.

Am out of the country on election day, but would probably have to go with Neale Richmond if I was able to vote. I'm guessing in our constituency, Dublin Rathdown, we'll end up with 1 x Greens, 1 x Fine Gael and either Shane Ross or Shay Brennan (FF, son of Seamus Brennan). Would rather the gombeen Ross than the FFer Brennan!

Comment

I'm surprised at you HectorJelly. I said the quote was attributed to him, not that he said it. The person who originally attributed it to him was Russell Maguire in an opinion piece entitled "How Internationalists Gain Power". I attributed it to Ford (as Maguire did) because of the two, Ford was the lesser fascist and I was giving you the benefit of the doubt for who did say it.

Maguire, who you clearly did know about and quoted, is truly a despicable fascist. To quote his words in any context is abhorrent. The quote has precisely the meaning I ascribe to it. In the essay where it appears the "international financiers" are juxtaposed with Christians through the single line "Christ fought for you - the individual".

When the FBI investigated a complaint made by Maguire that the CIA had been infiltrated by subversives, this is what the FBI agent in charge of the investigation concluded about Maguire:

You can ascribe whatever meaning you want to it, but I wouldn't quote Mein Kampf and attempt to give it a better spin and I'd expect to have the appropriate social stigma attached to doing so.
                                        That phrase is often used in financial circles to describe the fact that the banking system is set up to punish the poor and reward the rich - it's interesting that it comes from a fascist, but more as a historical footnote than something to get worked up about. The meaning you ascribe to it is literally ludicrous unless you knew the history of it you it could never cross your mind it was referring to Jewish people.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                          Last time out I think I gave my #1 to Catherine Martin (Greens), who duly was elected but haven't seen hide nor hair of her since.
                                          She's the only one who's called around to me, 3 times in the last 4 years. Seems a very old fashioned way of passing time.
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

An ATM fee like this affects the poorer sector of society more than the rich.
                                            What evidence do you have for this, the core part of your argument?
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                              Possibly worth going for a blood test and health screening before embarking on any trial and error with supplements to boost energy levels. People will recommend a variety of different concoctions to boost yourself but there may be a deficiency there that you're not aware of or a change in your diet you're not accounting for.

The exercise will help boost your energy levels from the point of view of serotonin and dopamine boosts but if you're exercising more perhaps you're in a deficit of calories which will cause tiredness. Also, what is your sleep like? If you're not getting the best part of 8 hours it can be detrimental to your health.

Read that sleep book that Denny put us all on to, it will scare the shit out of you.
                                              Blood tests is a good idea. Sleep is OK, in that I am out cold within 5 minutes of closing my eyes but I probably function on about 6 hours a day during the week, more at the weekend.

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                              The obvious one would be to cut back on alcohol , you seem to enjoy your wine (not being a cunt btw)
                                              I just don’t bother anymore unless I’ve a blank slate next day , once I hit my mid thirties it’s like someone flicked a switch. Even 2-3 beers at home I’ll feel it next day.
                                              Energy/vitamin supplements are mostly woo, and expensive cynically mRketed woo at thT. My teeth start grinding anytime I pass a Holland &Barrett or health food shop
                                              I definetely enjoy my wine

I wouldn't be a massive drinker but have cut back a bit over the last few weeks which is as much about getting back into exercise as anything else.

I just find the whole vitamin/energy supplement area a mine field and have always been skeptical about it.

Comment

Am out of the country on election day, but would probably have to go with Neale Richmond if I was able to vote. I'm guessing in our constituency, Dublin Rathdown, we'll end up with 1 x Greens, 1 x Fine Gael and either Shane Ross or Shay Brennan (FF, son of Seamus Brennan). Would rather the gombeen Ross than the FFer Brennan!
                                                Used to work with Shay, actually a nice guy (for a FF'er).

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                  They already charge per transaction I thought .
                                                  The very existence is too drain every cent from the customers . The very same who pay USC every week to help repair the damage they did to the country . Who gets their profits now ?
                                                  Anyone paying USC should get free banking .

What's Kayroo on about above ? Curious.
                                                  Don’t forget that we own the banks, and they will shortly be sold. Anything that damages profitability is crazy in advance of a full sale as you’re simply cutting your nose to spite your face.

The quote is normally attributed to Henry Ford. A truly disgusting fascist, the quote refers to a conspiracy of worldwide Jewish backed moneylenders undermining national governments.

So, not a typical HJ quote
                                                  Funny story about Henry Ford...

He was apparently down in Cobh in 1917 to set up the Ford Motor company factory down there and was going around looking to speak to locals around planning etc. He was advised to speak to the Bishop of Cobh to smooth things over as was the way back then.
                                                  He met the bishop, and discussed plans to build the factory and create jobs and the issues he had with civil servants blocking progress and so the Bishop suggested a donation to the church would help to grease the wheels of commerce. Ford agreed with the Bishop to donate £1,000IR at the time, which was a considerable sum.

The next day a large newspaper in cork ran a front page story saying “Henry Ford donates £10,000 IR to Cobh Cathedral Fund”. Ford is disgruntled and calls the Bishop, and explains that he had actually agreed only £1,000IR. The Bishop thinks for a moment and says “you’re absolutely right, do you want me to call the editor to issue a retraction?”

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                    What evidence do you have for this, the core part of your argument?
                                                    The idea is that £10 to someone who has £5000/week to live on is less burdensome that someone who has £200/week to live on. It’s the same logic/reason behind the tax rate for higher earners being 41% and not 20%. Even at 20% flat rate you pay more in absolute terms if you’re a higher earner but they want increasing amounts as the marginal utility of a euro is lower after €50k than before it.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post

100/1

Comment

Every winter i always do a cure of magnesium, as low levels can lead to fatigue, overtiredness, etc.

obviously a blood test is also a good idea, but that's the one i'd naturally gravitate towards.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                          Used to work with Shay, actually a nice guy (for a FF'er).
                                                          I don't trust his smile in his posters, looks too forced but if you vouch for him, must be a decent skin. Still wouldn't give an FFer much of a preference.

Looking forward to the election anyway, hope there's some good swings here and there before it's all settled. Sole bet is FF most seats at 8/11, would be happy to lose though, it's like betting against Ireland or Connacht in the rugby.

Comment

Say what you like about John Bowler, I find it more disturbing that yer man with the broken fingers gets away with election material like this

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                              The idea is that £10 to someone who has £5000/week to live on is less burdensome that someone who has £200/week to live on. It’s the same logic/reason behind the tax rate for higher earners being 41% and not 20%. Even at 20% flat rate you pay more in absolute terms if you’re a higher earner but they want increasing amounts as the marginal utility of a euro is lower after €50k than before it.
                                                              Its true that poorer people would be disproportionately affected by a hypothetical cash withdrawal charge if they used it the service but what I'm looking for is any evidence that they would be more prone to being charged for cash withdrawal than others.
                                                              It's a trick question obv because there is no evidence.

Comment

That phrase is often used in financial circles to describe the fact that the banking system is set up to punish the poor and reward the rich - it's interesting that it comes from a fascist, but more as a historical footnote than something to get worked up about. The meaning you ascribe to it is literally ludicrous unless you knew the history of it you it could never cross your mind it was referring to Jewish people.
                                                                The idea that quoting somebody is abhorrent "because they are a bad man" (to put it without nuance) is not good reasoning to me anyway, it feeds into nonsense like "Hitler believed X so it must be bad". It permeates society so much so (at varying degrees) that I talked to my brother about making a research paper on it and coining a term.

Extract an idea from a person and their particular reasoning. It's not like anybody would feasibly know the history of your mundane quote and if they did, the idea that it is in any way proliferating/justifying any associated ideas by the author, is balderdash.
                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 30-01-20, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                  The idea that quoting somebody is abhorrent "because they are a bad man" (to put it without nuance) is not good reasoning to me anyway, it feeds into nonsense like "Hitler believed X so it must be bad". It permeates society so much so (at varying degrees) that I talked to my brother about making a research paper on it and coining a term.
                                                                  Are you saying Hitler wasn't a vegetarian?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                    Its true that poorer people would be disproportionately affected by a hypothetical cash withdrawal charge if they used it the service but what I'm looking for is any evidence that they would be more prone to being charged for cash withdrawal than others.
                                                                    It's a trick question obv because there is no evidence.
                                                                    Presumably you take out the max (€400?) when you use an ATM.
                                                                    An unemployed person, or person paid weekly on a low wage may have to take smaller amounts out more regularly.
                                                                    A set fee per withdrawal penalises the latter person.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                      Are you saying Hitler wasn't a vegetarian?
                                                                      I know too much about that for no particular reason apart from defending other peoples poor reasoning leading to an interest. A lot of vegans seem to view vegetarians to be as bad as Hitler though.
                                                                      In Hitler youth materials they promoted soy beans and they were called Nazi beans, he planned (or at least said he planned) to make Germany be vegetarian after the war.
                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 30-01-20, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                        The point is that there is no indication from the banks or Euronet that more ATM's will be charging fees. If we assume a worst case that they will extend fees to all their sites - less than 1/3 of all devices - those will only be some sites and not at supermarkets, shopping centres etc.
                                                                        Fee charging atm model currently only really works in locations where people who don't use cash pay a premium for cash in a hurry, one could speculate often in areas where hookers, coke and gambling form part of the local economy.

Access to cash could in the longer term become a bigger problem amongst low income households as we go below 10% of transactions in cash when the volume of transactions becomes too low to support the networks through interchange fees. If that ever was to become a real problem I would argue the solution is not going to be making it easier for people to access cash. That would be just stupid.

Comment

Anyone here know anything about Air-Water heating.

Im refurbishing an old house and finding it hard to get decent advice.

At the moment, ill be adding a extension, filling cavity walls and attic and putting on 50mm insulation on a outside walls inside.

House is 40 years old, was actually abandoned, but its in good shape.

Anyway, no one is in the house often until 7pm every day, except weekends, whcih makes me think oil is an option (Gas isnt)

Hard to quantify how much extra it all costs etc.
                                                                          sigpic
                                                                          Longshotvalue.com

Comment

My first post was me hoping you didn’t know where it came from. Then I was asked to explain where it came from and I noted it’s most common association. You pointed out that Ford didn’t actually say it and so I assumed you did know where it came from and pointed out the disgusting origins of the phrase.

The fact it has become common parlance in financial circles doesn’t really change anything I have said. The meaning of the phrase that I ascribe to it is precisely the meaning the phrase has in its original use. It is what the phrase means. It is anti Semitic, fascist and based on conspiracy theories.

The purpose of using a quote like that is to make a point and to imply that the historical significance of the quote lends it additional weight.

But, you know, quote away HJ.
                                                                            Last edited by Kayroo; 30-01-20, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                              Say what you like about John Bowler, I find it more disturbing that yer man with the broken fingers gets away with election material like this

SPOILER

Even if they are appallingly selfish, you can't say he's not representing the interests of his constituents in Rathdown.
                                                                              Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 30-01-20, 12:36.
                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Extract an idea from a person and their particular reasoning. It's not like anybody would feasibly know the history of your mundane quote and if they did, the idea that it is in any way proliferating/justifying any associated ideas by the author, is balderdash.
                                                                                The quote itself is a summary of an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory of international financiers stealing good Christian people’s sovereignty. I’m not making an association by some broad reference to the dietary habits of Henry Ford. I’m not saying buying a Mondeo makes you a fascist. HJ is using the logic and phrasing of a fascist, espousing a fascist position to criticize the current banking sector.

I am NOT saying HJ is adopting these views by the way. I specifically pointed out that my issue was with hoping he didn’t know the origin of the phrase which, I concede, would make the use excusable. Hence why I then explained its origins. Hopefully the words of an avowed fascist will be less often used if we remember who first wrote them. I cannot see how that could be a bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                  100/1
                                                                                  In as much as everything about this bet makes me sad, I hope you collect

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                    [/SPOILER]

Even if they are appallingly selfish, you can't say he's not representing the interests of his constituents in Rathdown.
                                                                                    That's all he cares about - was handed a different piece of material by his canvasser yesterday (to be honest, she was a lovely, seemingly genuine and enthusiastic young woman, which was a bit surprising to me) and it was solely focused on 'what I've done for Dublin Rathdown'. Absolutely nothing else.

Stepaside Garda Station, Fernhill House and Gardens, new pool at the Samuel Beckett Community Centre, new sports centre somewhere else in the constituency. No mention of a single national issue.

I imagine it is a very effective approach to take.

Comment

All this debate over the drinklink.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                        In as much as everything about this bet makes me sad, I hope you collect
                                                                                        Yeah thanks. Same boat being a United fan obvs. Thought if I have to put up with them winning it, may as well get a sweat at least. They were 13 clear when I put the bet on and 20 points will be a new record, currently at 19 points held by Man City. Worth 5k and will be my biggest ever score if it comes in.

Comment

The quote itself is a summary of an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory of international financiers stealing good Christian people’s sovereignty. I’m not making an association by some broad reference to the dietary habits of Henry Ford. I’m not saying buying a Mondeo makes you a fascist. HJ is using the logic and phrasing of a fascist, espousing a fascist position to criticize the current banking sector.

I am NOT saying HJ is adopting these views by the way. I specifically pointed out that my issue was with hoping he didn’t know the origin of the phrase which, I concede, would make the use excusable. Hence why I then explained its origins. Hopefully the words of an avowed fascist will be less often used if we remember who first wrote them. I cannot see how that could be a bad thing?
                                                                                          I'm really finding it hard to understand your position. First of all its a terrible summary, because it doesn't mention Jews and if you said it to someone who wasn't briefed on who said it and why they would never make the connection. If you can come up with a more elegant way of making the same point I'd be happy to use a new quote, but I fear that is very difficult because the quote itself is excellent. It's in common parlance amongst people who are definitely not anti-Semitic.

It would be a shame to have to use a less apt quote. Are we allowed to hum Wagner? Should you be going to GAA matches given some of the people who were involved in setting it up? All of these things are difficult issues, and don't lend themselves to histronics.

Comment

My first post was me hoping you didn’t know where it came from. Then I was asked to explain where it came from and I noted it’s most common association. You pointed out that Ford didn’t actually say it and so I assumed you did know where it came from and pointed out the disgusting origins of the phrase.

The fact it has become common parlance in financial circles doesn’t really change anything I have said. The meaning of the phrase that I ascribe to it is precisely the meaning the phrase has in its original use. It is what the phrase means. It is anti Semitic, fascist and based on conspiracy theories.

The purpose of using a quote like that is to make a point and to imply that the historical significance of the quote lends it additional weight.

But, you know, quote away HJ.
                                                                                            The piece highlighted above is the crux of the issue for me.
                                                                                            Is the historical significance of a quote such as this implied when used?

The quote appears axiomatic in light of events such as the financial crisis but does the historical significance -assuming that means it's origin- need to come along for the ride?

I can understand your obvious justification for avoiding using quotes proliferated by unsavoury characters when their origin relates to anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and alike.

However, if a quote is interesting and expresses what you are attempting to articulate, can it's value not be assessed in isolation of the origin?

Comment

That's put a lot better than I did!

Just to give some context, if you do much research into some of the cryptocurrency true believers, a lot of them think that our system of inflation is unfair towards the working class and that currencies that are deflationary in nature are better for workers.

Comment

An unemployed person, or person paid weekly on a low wage may have to take smaller amounts out more regularly.

Comment

That's put a lot better than I did!

Just to give some context, if you do much research into some of the cryptocurrency true believers, a lot of them think that our system of inflation is unfair towards the working class and that currencies that are deflationary in nature are better for workers.
                                                                                                  Only crpyto believes would think that a deflationary currency that's mostly held by rich tech people would be good for low-income people. They have it completely backwards.

It's actually comical. They're holders of assets (i.e.) rich, if crypto rose in the future and became the defacto currency everyone else (i.e. poor people) would have to buy in at the higher price. It'd be a bonaza for the rich and terrible for the poor. Deflationary currency would reward horders and disincentise economic growth. It's literally completely backwards.

Inflation is bad for people who hold cash, and good for people who are in debt, i.e. good for poor and bad for rich.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 30-01-20, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                    Only crpyto believes would think that a deflationary currency that's mostly held by rich tech people would be good for low-income people. They have it completely backwards.

It's actually comical. They're holders of assets (i.e.) rich, if crypto rose in the future and became the defacto currency everyone else (i.e. poor people) would have to buy in at the higher price. It'd be a bonaza for the rich and terrible for the poor. Deflationary currency would reward horders and disincentise economic growth. It's literally completely backwards.

Inflation is bad for people who hold cash, and good for people who are in debt, i.e. good for poor and bad for rich.
                                                                                                    You've made a few simple errors here. Firstly we aren't talking about the small transitional period, which would of course benefit richER people. And secondly, rich people don't hold cash, they invest it. The only people who hold cash are the poor. (And the unwise). The crypto people might not be right, but it's vastly more complicated than you're making out.

Comment

A deflationary currency can only benefit richer people over any period, not just the transition period. How on earth would it be better for poor people?

Poor don't hold cash. If they're poor they don't have cash to hold. And any debt they hold is inflated away.

The crypto people might not be right
                                                                                                      And by may not be right, you mean, have it completely backwards?
                                                                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 30-01-20, 13:35.

Comment

That's all he cares about - was handed a different piece of material by his canvasser yesterday (to be honest, she was a lovely, seemingly genuine and enthusiastic young woman, which was a bit surprising to me) and it was solely focused on 'what I've done for Dublin Rathdown'. Absolutely nothing else.

Stepaside Garda Station, Fernhill House and Gardens, new pool at the Samuel Beckett Community Centre, new sports centre somewhere else in the constituency. No mention of a single national issue.

I imagine it is a very effective approach to take.
                                                                                                        You just described 90% of canvassing in Ireland

Comment

A deflationary currency can only benefit richer people over any period, not just the transition period. How on earth would it be better for poor people?

Poor don't hold cash. If they're poor they don't have cash to hold. And any debt they hold is inflated away.
                                                                                                          Because the value of their labour is eroded very quickly. When they talk about the poor, they don't mean homeless people with literally no money - it makes no difference what sort of currency you use if you have none.

Comment

Because the value of their labour is eroded very quickly.
                                                                                                            And you believe this?

Even if this were true. The effects of deflation on the economy would be devastating, there would be fewer jobs for workers.

And back to the start, anyone that held a deflationary currency would continually get richer for simply holding cash. Any debts would get more expensive.

It would be amazing for rich people and terrible for the poor.

Because the value of their labour is eroded very quickly. When they talk about the poor, they don't mean homeless people with literally no money - it makes no difference what sort of currency you use if you have none.
                                                                                                            Poor people consume their income, they don't have cash savings to be eroded by inflation. While any debt they have is reduced in real terms.

Maybe take economics lessons from Ray Dalio rather than supporters of crypto.

Economics 101 -- "How the Economic Machine Works."Created by Ray Dalio this simple but not simplistic and easy to follow 30 minute, animated video answers th...

Comment

very disconcerting seeing a queue of chinese people clear out the masks in the local chemist.
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                Every winter i always do a cure of magnesium, as low levels can lead to fatigue, overtiredness, etc.

obviously a blood test is also a good idea, but that's the one i'd naturally gravitate towards.
                                                                                                                First read that as magnetism.

Comment

I enjoyed this long read about the economics of spiralling education, health and housing costs and thought ye might too:

I. Tyler Cowen writes about cost disease. I’d previously heard the term used to refer only to a specific theory of why costs are increasing, involving labor becoming more efficient in some ar…
                                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

It's only €500 in Malta in you use your own bank. Less for other banks.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                                      Anyone here good at photo shop, I have a photo and there is 3 of us at front but I want the 2 behind us cropped out.

It's for a birthday present idea. Can send on fb or WhatsApp if someone can help 🙏
                                                                                                                      Ask James Fridman. You won't be disappointed

Comment

Had built up so many loyalty points that they will be free for the foreseeable future.
                                                                                                                        Someone I know used Revolut in London for the lay-deez payments! they have gone hi-tec

Comment

...
                                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X