Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Another (personalised) scenario that you could consider is this

You take a professorship in China at the University of Megacity.
    All is good.
    Your students are bright, enthusiastic.
    You are paid well, you have a nice apartment.
    Your familiy is happy, you are well looked after. You make friends.

One of your friends is an ethnic Uighur. He tells you all about the terrible things that are happening to his people - murder, enslavement, concentration camps.

You are troubled by this.

You decide to raise it one of your lectures. You tell students what is going on and ask them what they think. They sit there in shocked silence and refuse to say anything.

The next day, you get called in by the Dean. Your students have reported you. You have raised questions they are not comfortable with. This is not part of the course. It is deviationist. You must not raise these topics again and you must stick only to course materials.
    He hopes this is clear, otherwise there could be....repercussions.

What do you do?
    Go in Twitter and argue that the guy who fell of the trolley was clearly pushed by a nurse to further their duplicitous agenda

Comment

A friend of mine was telling me how he visited a Chinese university as guest lecturer for a number of weeks.

He planned a variety of group projects to take place between the students. After the introductory classes, he got started and randomised the groups in some manner.

Upon announcing the groups, chaos subsequently ensued with various students storming out as a result of being grouped with their "enemies". He said it was the most surreal moment he ever experienced lecturing.

Funny as a story but I can't imagine a situation in a Western institution where much of anything could be met with such discontent. Clearly a cultural thing but bizarre none the less.

Best of luck Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
        That's hardly unique to China.
        If Hitch takes a professorship job in Yale or Harvard and starts dedicating lectures to how the Palestinian/A-Rab cause is quite just, and the USA/Israel axis is largely responsible for most of the regions problem, then a job-threatening visit from the dean will quickly ensue.
        I'd imagine 90%+ of US professors say highly nasty things about Trump and suffer no negative consequences whatsoever. And that is a good thing.

And they certainly don't suffer visits and harassment from the secret police. (which would be the next step for Hitch if he didn't take the Dean's advice)

Or have their lives terminated. Like that Uighur professor.

but do continue with your analogy by all means
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

AJ, there is actually a real life example that matches your scenario. A US academic who was outspoken in his views and got the boot.

The difference here of course is that he successfully sued the university in question. And the Chancellor of said university got sacked.

Comment

I feel slapped down. You're on your own Hitch.

Comment

I feel slapped down. You're on your own Hitch.
              it's not a slapping contest

the basic point here is democracy >>>>> dictatorship

Hitch has tried to turn this into some segue into "it doesn't matter what system of government you live under, as long as people are happy". Which is a point of view, I suppose. (but maybe not so much when you are so shit-scared of your own State that you automatically answer 'yes, of course!' when asked are you happy....)

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

so wok the wok. Go live in China, I'm sure many exciting opportunities abound for a thought leader such as yourself.

Just be careful not to be too outspoken.
                  Tres Disappointing . FYP

Comment

it's not a slapping contest

the basic point here is democracy >>>>> dictatorship

Hitch has tried to turn this into some segue into "it doesn't matter what system of government you live under, as long as people are happy". Which is a point of view, I suppose. (but maybe not so much when you are so shit-scared of your own State that you automatically answer 'yes, of course!' when asked are you happy....)
                    It may simply be the exception and not the rule but would you agree it is hard to imagine that Singapore would be in the position it currently finds itself had it not been under dictatorial rule?

It seems to me to be the perfect example of a situation which thrived over and above what a democracy may have delivered.

Obviously it goes without saying that the current political system is repressive by a variety of basic measures like freedom of speech and perhaps the policies of Lee Kuan Yew have reached their apex but it's hard to imagine that without that meritocratic system they would be at this point.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                        It may simply be the exception and not the rule but would you agree it is hard to imagine that Singapore would be in the position it currently finds itself had it not been under dictatorial rule?
                        We simply don't know, do we?
                        Stalin industrialised Russia too, if you want to take one other 'successful' example from history. Now he did murder tens of millions along the way....

It is unquestionably easier to get things done in a diactatorship, that is hardly a question. If the Glorious Leader says 'do it', it gets done (or you get shot). democracies are messier, with all those pesky human rights, rules of law and constituions.

There are other countries in the Taoist\Confucianist tradition that have sucessfully modernised within a democratic framework. Taiwan in the last few decades? So it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                          I do appreciate that Raoul, the uber-Israeli supporter who generally is ambivalent about collateral damage resulting in dead Palestinians, has now become so supportive of panglobal Islamist rights. Inshallah.
                          errrr, OK.

Surprised you didn't throw Churchill in there too for a bit more diversion. You usually do.

I'm far from convinced that democracy is the best route for all countries. India is a cesspit of despair and absolute racism that all democracy does for them is spread the shit and engrain the race divide.
                          do you really believe this? I mean, are you happy to stand over it and defend it? As opposed to just bantering on IPB

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

We simply don't know, do we?
                              Stalin industrialised Russia too, if you want to take one other 'successful' example from history. Now he did murder tens of millions along the way....

It is unquestionably easier to get things done in a diactatorship, that is hardly a question. If the Glorious Leader says 'do it', it gets done (or you get shot). democracies are messier, with all those pesky human rights, rules of law and constituions.

There are other countries in the Taoist\Confucianist tradition that have sucessfully modernised within a democratic framework. Taiwan in the last few decades? So it can be done.
                              No we don't know but I'm asking you intuitively, do you think Singapore would be at the point it currently is had it employed a democratic system?

Let's not make false equivalences of "success" here, Stalin was in power for approx the same length of time as Lee Kuan Yew and it didn't result in a proportional amount of deaths at least to my knowledge. Singapore has been very successful under his rule without the deaths.

I agree with you that a democratic system is deontologically the preferred mechanism but perhaps there is value from a consequentialist point of view for employing a more dictatorial government in certain cases.

Obviously from a practical perspective there are no means of determining when and where it will be for the betterment of society but it seems to me that there are instances where it has been more beneficial than the alternative we all prefer.

Comment

Ah China, such a great place

SPOILER

SPOILER

Comment

No we don't know but I'm asking you intuitively, do you think Singapore would be at the point it currently is had it employed a democratic system?
                                  I have no idea. I suspect most of their success is due to cultural factors, rather than system of government.

Similar to Taiwan or South Korea.

Comment

Whether or not Singapore is more successful as a dictatorship is a bit of a moot point. As Roman history teaches us dictatorships are at points often very successful, the problems arise when someone finds themself in power who is unsuited for the role, either by incompetence or bloodthirstiness. Dictatorships have no rational method to tranfer power.

Hitch go look up some of the uncensored photos of the victims of Tiananmen Square massacre and see how you feel about China.

Comment

Last chance to get your entry in for the 2020 Multi Sport Competition. Sure what else would you be doing on a Friday afternoon in work?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                        Whether or not Singapore is more successful as a dictatorship is a bit of a moot point. As Roman history teaches us dictatorships are at points often very successful, the problems arise when someone finds themself in power who is unsuited for the role, either by incompetence or bloodthirstiness. Dictatorships have no rational method to tranfer power.

Hitch go look up some of the uncensored photos of the victims of Tiananmen Square massacre and see how you feel about China.
                                        Again I go back to my previous point, if a dictatorship contributes to an increase in the well-being of the society over and above that of a democracy, does that not indicate a greater level of success than if a lesser level of well-being was achieved by democratic means?

I don't think every country/culture can achieve what Singapore has and as I mentioned I think Singapore may have reached it's apex under that regime but at the time of its inception perhaps the cultural and economic situation was best suited to a more authoritarian yet benevolent government capable of helping the country prosper.

That's not to say the transition to a more democratic system will be easy but the value of the system that was deployed to this point cannot be denied irrespective of what history has shown.

Comment

Apparently the Chinese are going easy on the Hong Kong protestors out of fear of another Tiananmen Square like scenario. This would indicate to me that at least they are conscious and weary of how they are perceived worldwide. Does this not show progress? I’m sure they are still atrocious on quite a few levels but what superpower isn’t at the moment? I won’t even start on the Saudai’s inhumane treatment of it’s citizens or some of the extreme cruelties going on in the world .

Also , I’d feel safer talking to a Chinese cop than an American Cop . Happy Friday fellow free Irishmen of the Republic. (and Shrap)

Comment

I think we can all agree that the true measure of a civilised nation is making the trains run on time.

Meaning that France is currently the worst country in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                              Apparently the Chinese are going easy on the Hong Kong protestors out of fear of another Tiananmen Square like scenario. This would indicate to me that at least they are conscious and weary of how they are perceived worldwide. Does this not show progress? I’m sure they are still atrocious on quite a few levels but what superpower isn’t at the moment? I won’t even start on the Saudai’s inhumane treatment of it’s citizens or some of the extreme cruelties going on in the world .
                                              No, I don't really think that's progress. They are behaving terribly - have they behaved worse before? Sure. But by that logic they can do what they like since nothing will be as bad as the time their regime starved tens of millions of people to death https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Chinese_Famine

It's the same regime.

A lot of how they are acting in HK now (which by their cruel, inhuman and evil standards) is influenced by the fact they are trying to appear nice to the Taiwanese. Another territory of people frightened to be swallowed up in their disgusting claws.

Nineteen million voters go to the polls in Taiwan on Saturday to choose if they want closer ties to mainland China, or if they want to confront Beijing. China hopes to incorporate Taiwan in its “one…

Saudia Arabia is also a horrible dictatorship. I had a bad sandwich at lunch yesterday. That sandwich has about as much relevance to the discussion as SA.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                Watching the BBC Dracula, first episode was quirky, some dark humor thrown in, quiet long at 1.5hrs, but nothing wrong with it, just finished episode 2 this evening and am so glad i stuck with it, cant wait for the final installment.

Would recommend !!
                                                I got some bad news for you...
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Anyone watched any of the 'Goes Wrong Show' stuff on BBC? (Fridays 8.30 pm)
                                                  Based on the West End hit 'The Play That Goes Wrong'.
                                                  Watched 'The Pilot (not The Pilot)' episode of this last Friday, thought it was very funny. About 70% of the gags hit the mark, a good strike-rate when you are going for 100s of them.
                                                  Would recommend, 8.30 tonight. All eps are standalone.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                    I got some bad news for you...
                                                    This.

Really liked ep 1 and 2, episode 3 was a mess

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                      Ah China, such a great place

SPOILER

SPOILER
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                        Unfortunately me and technology aren't BFFs - There is generally something wrong / out of kilter.

I've come to graciously accept it as I get older.

Comment

Comment

Welp the key point for them is that they are happy.
                                                            I'd hate to accuse you of recency bias in this sudden fascination with happiness as being the ultimate arbiter of human existence.

But I will. Seeing as this is what you are currently reading.

This goldfish tendency is a very Trumpian trait by the way. I do love the bitchy comment by one Washington insider when asked who the most powerful person in the world is. "The last person who spoke to Trump".

Comment

Comment

Welp the key point for them is that they are happy. I'm sure they appreciate our thoughts and prayers. Although oddly they'd never choose to live here they all rush back home in their millions post study.
                                                                Not sure about that last sentence - from my understanding about 2.5 million people in the USA are Chinese-born. Compared to a tiny fraction of that migration in the opposite direction. Must be similar ratios for all Western countries.

Surely that in itself is an indictment of the various merits of different systems? Far more people want to move dictatorship > Western democracy than the other way around? Obviously one of the primary motivators is simple economic opportunities but even still, think there is some validity to my viewpoint.

Comment

I'd hate to accuse you of recency bias in this sudden fascination with happiness as being the ultimate arbiter of human existence.

But I will. Seeing as this is what you are currently reading.
                                                                  Recent addition to the goodreads group already throwing shade. I'm going back at a Marx book atm so I expect some strong availability bias to ensue.

Struggling to put down "Into Thin Air" though, I'll have to watch the movie again over the weekend, puts into perspective the huffing I was doing "climbing" Knockmealdown 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Recent addition to the goodreads group already throwing shade. I'm going back at a Marx book atm so I expect some strong availability bias to ensue..
                                                                    Hence your current love of autocracy.

You don't see me spouting off about Japanese baseball, or coked-up country and western private detectives though so I will claim to have a far more considered mindset than you goldfish.

Comment

just watched Parasite. What an awesome film! another must watch

9/10 again this week.

i make this one and portrait of a girl on fire, the 2 best films of 2019 by a country mile! phenomenal

Comment

No, I don't really think that's progress. They are behaving terribly - have they behaved worse before? Sure. But by that logic they can do what they like since nothing will be as bad as the time their regime starved tens of millions of people to death https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Chinese_Famine

It's the same regime.

A lot of how they are acting in HK now (which by their cruel, inhuman and evil standards) is influenced by the fact they are trying to appear nice to the Taiwanese. Another territory of people frightened to be swallowed up in their disgusting claws.

Nineteen million voters go to the polls in Taiwan on Saturday to choose if they want closer ties to mainland China, or if they want to confront Beijing. China hopes to incorporate Taiwan in its “one…

Saudia Arabia is also a horrible dictatorship. I had a bad sandwich at lunch yesterday. That sandwich has about as much relevance to the discussion as SA.
                                                                        Try to find the relevance HJ it’s not difficult to spot , you were a smart guy once in your Youth, don’t allow this new ‘WOKE’ generation put Sand in your ol vagina. If struggling , let me help you with a hint (firstly remove that bit of lettuce stuck in your teeth , it’s unsightly my man) China = Nasty SA = Nasty , they have quite a bit more in common also. I’m sorry if the narrative doesn’t flow in line with your train of thought but dismissing me with a sandwich is harsh dude. No way to treat to a sista. Was the sandwich nice?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                          Not sure about that last sentence - from my understanding about 2.5 million people in the USA are Chinese-born. Compared to a tiny fraction of that migration in the opposite direction. Must be similar ratios for all Western countries.

Surely that in itself is an indictment of the various merits of different systems? Far more people want to move dictatorship > Western democracy than the other way around? Obviously one of the primary motivators is simple economic opportunities but even still, think there is some validity to my viewpoint.
                                                                          And the Chinese community in Ireland has definitely grown dramatically. I think Hitch is talking shite. Or to be polite is applying his own personal experience to the general. Which is a very common logical fallacy but not one you would expect a professor of behavioural finance to make really.

Comment

Willie why can't you ever actually put forward something sensible.

Why when someone, particularly HJ too, responds with an alternative you get "sand in your vagina", or make some non-funny comment?

You were a smart guy in your youth, don't let the old affect you this badly.
                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Why when someone, particularly HJ too, responds with an alternative you get "sand in your vagina", or make some non-funny comment?

Leave Solks alone. The world needs more funnymen.

Comment

Great discussion on China btw. Well done all.
                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Hi has spent his 50s putting my down . Allow me this .

Comment

Leave Solks alone. The world needs more funnymen.
                                                                                    Ok fair. The wok the wok was great.

It does seem HJ causes steam to burst out of Ol Will Dawgs ears though!

Comment

Ok fair. The wok the wok was great.

It does seem HJ causes steam to burst out of Ol Will Dawgs ears though!
                                                                                      Not at all. I did the wok wok joke to keep it simple for you. Ye really aren't discerning enough to get my full hilarity. . Trust me . The cat and I are in stitches .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                        Not at all. I did the wok wok joke to keep it simple for you. Ye really aren't discerning enough to get my full hilarity. . Trust me . The cat and I are in stitches .
                                                                                        Ha. Maybe not!

You did throw a couple strops in the past though and leave for extended periods so you'll have to forgive me for thinking the steam is real.

Comment

Ha. Maybe not!

You did throw a couple strops in the past though and leave for extended periods so you'll have to forgive me for thinking the steam is real.
                                                                                          Yeah but like I said you aren’t discerning enough to understand why. To me I give back what’s dished out , some folk don’t like it and point the finger . I know I’ve reinvented corny jokes and made them worse. (that’s the joke) But some folk like to insult, I was never used to that to my face, the internet was and still is a bit of shield for the wannabe courageous types

. The boards/forums were the early keyboard warriors and now social media is infested. I should have simply just murdered you all and saved the world. I don’t spend long over my posts , I’m a fast typist baby. I’m not as thin skinned now as I realise every post is history in a few seconds and every insulting and bad intentioned fecker is really powerless . Perhaps I should spend ALL day researching my replies so they are perfectly in line with what Wikishite says.

What got under my skin really was the lecturing from the virtuous and not really the original insulters. A bit like yourself bringing it up to score a point. FK YOU THERESEA. (ooops I apologise for that I thought it was 2009) I forgive you.

Comment

William. I am insulted.

Comment

@ionapaul; weather looks absolutely disgusting for Galway tomorrow. Which might actually play in their favour vs Toulouse.

Comment

Interestingly NPR's fresh air has a podcast on this topic, released today. It's excellent. They mentioned a few important facts that are important to keep in mind. China censors western media for anything portraying homosexuality. So the recent Freddy Mercury biopic contained no references to him being gay. There are more than a million interned for the crime of being Muslim, and they have stopped Richard Gere from working, because of his work in highlighting China's oppression in Tibet.

New Yorker writer Evan Osnos says that China is building up its military and Pentagon analysts now believe it could defeat U.S. forces in a confrontation along its borders.

Comment

...

Comment

Its quenelles time in Lyon! Assuming that looks this bad must be amazing.
                                                                                                    never had quenelles in Lyon, but it's one of those things that French schools used to serve up in the canteen. being forced to eat those horrible things at a young age scarred us for life.

Comment

Its quenelles time in Lyon! Assuming that looks this bad must be amazing.
                                                                                                      Come on you're in Lyon. Eat offal.

Want a photo of you with a pigs head.

Comment

Interestingly NPR's fresh air has a podcast on this topic, released today. It's excellent. They mentioned a few important facts that are important to keep in mind. China censors western media for anything portraying homosexuality. So the recent Freddy Mercury biopic contained no references to him being gay. There are more than a million interned for the crime of being Muslim, and they have stopped Richard Gere from working, because of his work in highlighting China's oppression in Tibet.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/09/79486...-u-s-and-china
                                                                                                        Richard Gere has been banned from working because the Gerbil is a sacred animal in China. Wake up.

Comment

@ionapaul; weather looks absolutely disgusting for Galway tomorrow. Which might actually play in their favour vs Toulouse.
                                                                                                          I'm already considering what to wear, Sportsground can be very bitter on a cold day!

Comment

...

Comment

Comment

You're on the grudge list now Steve lol.

That train has no stops
                                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

...

Comment

Come on you're in Lyon. Eat offal.

Want a photo of you with a pigs head.
                                                                                                                    I mentioned having had a fantastic meal in Lyon.

I had stumbled into this little chef patron place after looking in the window and the menu was quite impenetrable and there was no question of anyone lowering themselves to speak english. So I was looking around at the tables and saw a couple of dishes that looked good and one awful looking home made sausage that appeared to be lumps of fat and gristle shoved into an undisguised intestine. I did my best with the menu and when ordering I figured out the starter and having found the word poisson on the menu, pointed to that and to the fish dish my nearest neighbour was eating beside me. Obv when the main course came it was the disgusting looking sausage, at first I had to close my eyes eating but it was amazing, unreal good as were the other courses.
                                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                      I mentioned having had a fantastic meal in Lyon.

I had stumbled into this little chef patron place after looking in the window and the menu was quite impenetrable and there was no question of anyone lowering themselves to speak english. So I was looking around at the tables and saw a couple of dishes that looked good and one awful looking home made sausage that appeared to be lumps of fat and gristle shoved into an undisguised intestine. I did my best with the menu and when ordering I figured out the starter and having found the word poisson on the menu, pointed to that and to the fish dish my nearest neighbour was eating beside me. Obv when the main course came it was the disgusting looking sausage, at first I had to close my eyes eating but it was amazing, unreal good as were the other courses.
                                                                                                                      Was it an andouilette?

Using your bresaola as a starter on Sunday. Garnish with parmiggiano, olive oil and lemon. Acceptable?

Comment

Was it an andouilette?

Using your bresaola as a starter on Sunday. Garnish with parmiggiano, olive oil and lemon. Acceptable?
                                                                                                                        Shave that parmigiano with a potato peeler. Thank me later.

Comment

Nice combo btw, I'd add rocket though.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X