Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
    Lads looking for CV advice , dream job could be on

Kpmg hiring 800 staff.
    I’ve already taken anything out of my cv that hints at diligence, competence and integrity. Any other tips? I guess pretending to like rugby might help?

Tell them you know KPMG girl's dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      FYP

You think ignoring international law and putting a target on the head of every representative of each and every democratically elected government the US doesn't fancy is a victory? Nice thinking.
      Think you're just suffering TDS.

Taking out a massive state subversive and only suffering a face saving retaliation is a clear clean victory.

Comment

The value of the average Irish active managed fund increased by a fifth over the 12 months, according to Rubicon Investment Consulting, with a return of 20.6 per cent.

Great news about active managed funds in a year when the S&P500 was up 26%

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            It does seem a bit odd with the timing, but can't imagine the Ukrainians would have said that technical issues were the reason unless they had received clear information showing this. Any alternative story could be aimed at making Iran look like a threat, but you almost can't possibly - with modern anti-aircraft tech - accidentally shoot down a civilian aircraft after the US mistakenly did that to an Iranian plane a few decades ago.
            It's a conspiracy theorist's wet dream at the moment. Hoping more info comes out but right now it looks suspect af.
            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Its a Western cultural fallacy about the vital importance of individuals. Its simply not the case. E.g. studies done of CEOs have shown that the best CEO has maybe a 1-2% impact on the performance of their firms. Political leaders are surely vastly less impactful on their organisational outcomes due to organisational rigidity. Taking out a single person in a state organisation can't possibly have any effect on performance.
              Did the study include MSFT?

Political leaders are surely vastly less impactful on their organisational outcomes due to organisational rigidity.
              I'm not sure Soleimani was one for organisational rigidity.
              Last edited by Denny Crane; 08-01-20, 13:27.

Comment

Its a Western cultural fallacy about the vital importance of individuals. Its simply not the case. E.g. studies done of CEOs have shown that the best CEO has maybe a 1-2% impact on the performance of their firms. Political leaders are surely vastly less impactful on their organisational outcomes due to organisational rigidity. Taking out a single person in a state organisation can't possibly have any effect on performance.
                Soleimani <> 'political leader'
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  I'm not sure Soleimani was one for organisational rigidity.
                  I disagree

SPOILER
                  He created a lot of stiffs

Comment

Comment

That just makes the point stronger due to limitations on his power.
                      I'm not sure that taking something applicable to Corporations and applying it blindly to poltics or military matters is a valid thing to do.

Take the death of Yamamoto for instance.

Comment

A sporting equivalent might be Man United post-Ferguson. Their results have dropped off a cliff - that's more like a 50% decline than 1-2%.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                          A sporting equivalent might be Man United post-Ferguson. Their results have dropped off a cliff - that's more like a 50% decline than 1-2%.
                          I'm not sure that taking something applicable to Corporations and applying it blindly to poltics or military matters is a valid thing to do.

Take the death of Yamamoto for instance.
                          Doesn't count according to Hitch.

Seems insane position Hitch. Why would MSFT jump 10% on Balmer quitting? Or why has it grown so much since Satya Nadella took over? I guess Lee Kuan Yew was only a 1% or 2% difference too?

By all accounts removing Soleimani is very different to taking out whatever bozo is currently running ISIS.

Comment

Comment

Hitch don't you go annoying Gaz from Michaels in Mount Merrion please.
                              If I choose to devour half the creatures in the Irish Sea slathered in Béarnaise sauce then that's on me surely to count the calories.
                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

best CEO has maybe a 1-2% impact on the performance of their firms

Comment

Comment

I'd say a night at the Chapter One chef's table must be what 4-5000 cals? I must wind them up about it next week.

Comment

Presumably the same can be applied to finance professors who are after all just poorly-functioning search engines....

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                        Hitch don't you go annoying Gaz from Michaels in Mount Merrion please.
                                        If I choose to devour half the creatures in the Irish Sea slathered in Béarnaise sauce then that's on me surely to count the calories.

Got €100 worth of Michael's vouchers over xmas and my order the week after next may well involve the other half

Comment

Comment

yep. Its a fairly universal concept. What percentage impact would you say that Leo has had on Ireland compared to an alternative like Martin? Its miniscule. Not because he's a bad leader, but because no individual person is all that significant compared to the general direction or purpose of that organisation. Similar for Trump. Western news by focusing on leaders creates the impression they are the person creating the effects. They're not. Trump is just representative of the tens of millions who work for the gov. We seem to like cheerleading or hating individuals though.
                                            The leader sets the strategic direction Hitch - it's not something that emerges organically.

You seem to be forgetting that.

Comment

yep. Its a fairly universal concept. What percentage impact would you say that Leo has had on Ireland compared to an alternative like Martin? Its miniscule. Not because he's a bad leader, but because no individual person is all that significant compared to the general direction or purpose of that organisation. Similar for Trump. Western news by focusing on leaders creates the impression they are the person creating the effects. They're not. Trump is just representative of the tens of millions who work for the gov. We seem to like cheerleading or hating individuals though.
                                              The leader sets the strategic direction Hitch - it's not something that emerges organically.

You seem to be forgetting that.
                                              A good example would the USA in the early 30s.

The problem confronting both Hoover and FDR was the same. Depression.

However, within a very short space of time, FDR had completely transformed the country (hence the modern fascination with 'the first hundred days'). Your argument would suggest that shouldn't have happened.

Good leadership and equally bad leadership have enormous impact.

Comment

heh. I think its a real issue for restaurants. Nothing to do with the cost of calorie calculation, but that people will freak out when they realise how much calories are in restaurant dishes. E.g. that that 100g of bernaise on the side adds 350 calories to the dish (and twice the recommended total salt intake, but thats another issue, and salt intake is more debateable).

They're using this side-issue that 'oh healthy eating is so much more complicated than that'. Which it is. But the basic relationship between number of calories and weight is fairly stuck in stone for a person doing average exercise (and most people do below recommended average exercise).

Can talk about education till the cows come home with bearnaise sauce, but people are woeful at judging how many calories they are eating when asked to guess.
                                                I like how you called Safefood Ireland 'nutritional and healthy eating experts' . When did they update their food pyramid flyer from 'hey remember to stuff more than 6 portions of bread, potatoes, rice etc into your fat mouth daily to hmm maybe 3-5 portions is a little better'? It must be recent enough and likely a decade after it should have been.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I feel Raoul is going to respond with another anecdote.
                                                      No, I think the fatuity of thinking that things happen anyway and whoever is in charge is largely irrelevant has been well exposed.

I'm happy to rest my case. Oh, thank you jury for your unanimous verdict reached in one second.

Comment

2. The 100 day initiative or something similar was actually FDRs idea and wouldn't have emerged anyway by whoever took office (it was after all a collection of iterative policies just nicely bundled together and presumably actually developed by civil servants or whatever the US calls those).
                                                        I'm slightly amazed that you think Civil Servants develop policy (they don't, they implement it). Although I suppose I shouldn't be.

Comment

Well run mechanisms require an initial input from a leader , then instil a culture, structure , and a robust and balanced team then the yanks can shoot him with minimal effect.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I'm slightly amazed that you think Civil Servants develop policy (they don't, they implement it). Although I suppose I shouldn't be.
                                                                Development is one thing, but once a system reaches the steady state I don't think single people have the impact you're suggesting. I've been through probably 6 heads of school, 3-4 faculty deans and 2 presidents here and the way things are done hasn't changed much despite best intentions. The Drunkard's Walk is a good book on this stuff.

Comment

Hitch is quite right that Westerners have a much stronger tendency to attribute things to the disposition of individuals rather than situational factors. Doubtless the contextual approach is going to be closer to the reality. Intuitively this must be more true the bigger the "organisation".

It's very hard to change even oneself.

I enjoyed reading Prisoners of Geography recently and it really hit home to me the importance of contextual factors beyond ideology or personality in international politics.

So I'm backing Hitch here, so it's not a unanimous jury. It won't be 12 Angry Men though.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                    Hitch is quite right that Westerners have a much stronger tendency to attribute things to the disposition of individuals rather than situational factors. Doubtless the contextual approach is going to be closer to the reality. Intuitively this must be more true the bigger the "organisation".

It's very hard to change even oneself.

I enjoyed reading Prisoners of Geography recently and it really hit home to me the importance of contextual factors beyond ideology or personality in international politics.

So I'm backing Hitch here, so it's not a unanimous jury. It won't be 12 Angry Men though.
                                                                    Goddamit hotspur, when I bribe a jury, I expect it to stay bribed.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                      Development is one thing, but once a system reaches the steady state I don't think single people have the impact you're suggesting. I've been through probably 6 heads of school, 3-4 faculty deans and 2 presidents here and the way things are done hasn't changed much despite best intentions. The Drunkard's Walk is a good book on this stuff.
                                                                      You work in a pretty fixed bureaucracy though. As does Hitch.

Hence your perceptions are skewed.

I think my example of the 1932 US presidential election is a perfect one. If the GOP had won, the course of US history would have been massively different.

Comment

heh, you are throwing the reality baby out with the bathwater here. The Civil Service most definitely has a massive soft and real influence on policy development.
                                                                        According to the CS own website so I guess they should know:

Policy professionals work at the heart of the Civil Service to design, develop and propose appropriate courses of action to help meet key government priorities and ministerial objectives.
                                                                        The executives tell them the 'what' (hopefully with some thought given to 'why'). The CS does the 'how'.

Comment

President Trump is set to address the nation at the White House on Wednesday morning, his first public remarks after Iran launched ballistic missiles at mili...

About to speak to the nation..
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Taking out a massive state subversive and only suffering a face saving retaliation is a clear clean victory.
                                                                            Very dangerous to assume this is the end of it. Trump will of course claim a massive victory, but I'd be astonished if there wasn't more to come.
                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Prisoners of Geography was very good, though I can remember so little of it beyond the basic premise now. Where for art thou memory?

Comment

Half of our travelling party live there so our customary route is fly into Brussels, spend a night there and then take a TGV to our destination with much wine/cheese consumption en route. Two nights there before returning broken men.

The train journey back is usually somewhat less boisterous. Usually fuelled with equal quantities of white wine and coffee.

We're slowly ticking off the rugby towns of France - Clermont, Perpignan, Toulouse (twice), Castres, Toulon, Marseilles and Bilbao.
                                                                                Bordeaux, La Rochelle, Lyon, Pau and Agen still on the to-do list...
                                                                                Lyon is a wonderful place, 3 very different vibes in the city depending which bit of land you are on, food and wine is exceptional

Have a weekend with the wife in Lyon this week. Anyone aware of that city and anything uniquely Lyonese worth doing / trying?
                                                                                we had lunch here , rue merciere has a lot of good places to eat. ,the traboules are worth walking through. forget the name of it but there was a museum all about Lyon and how it was formed, developed from a city planning point of view etc

Comment

Fingers crossed the ego allows de-escalation.
                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Absolutely, and as it stands right this minute there is a huge opportunity for some diplomacy now that Trump has single handedly solidified the position of the Tehran theocracy for the foreseeable future. They were in sight of dissolving just three years ago, FFS! Victory my arse.
                                                                                    I do find it impossible to comprehend that the moron in chief had ant thought out plan, whether that is TDS or common sense is a valid question.

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                    Very dangerous to assume this is the end of it. Trump will of course claim a massive victory, but I'd be astonished if there wasn't more to come.
                                                                                    This * x^n

Iranians play 3D Chess while Trump struggles to play tiddlywinks with his pudgy little fingers
                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Devils advocate:

Why isn't this a victory for Trump and the US, and arguably the West?

1. General of the Quds killed. Objectively hated America. Was definitely responsible for the killings of Americans.

2. Irans retaliation did 'nuttin

3. Iran now backed into a corner with new sanctions and likely JPCOA likely going to be torn up. Will this bring them to the table again?

4. Seems like there'll be no more. Or at least nothing direct.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                        Prisoners of Geography was very good, though I can remember so little of it beyond the basic premise now. Where for art thou memory?
                                                                                        Thoroughly enjoyed it, when looking at a map of Africa you can really see how the arbitrary lines drawn by colonial powers bear fuck all semblance to anything that would naturally draw borders between countries.

Colonial administrators drew lines on maps. The reality on the ground is quite different

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

This * x^n

Iranians play 3D Chess while Trump struggles to play tiddlywinks with his pudgy little fingers
                                                                                          TDS

Comment

TDS

Two Forms of TDS:

Those who believe Trump can do no right
                                                                                            Those who believe Trump can do no wrong

TDS Irony

It is the people who mindlessly believe Trump can do no right or wrong who have TDS.

Most of those accusing others of TDS, have it themselves.

Enjoyed this:

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Bear in mind we had a peace agreement with Iran that everyone except Trump agreed was working, including all of EU and Barack Obama. How is any of what you described better than peace? Trump fucked up the agreement so he could then argue it wasn't working and now he's thinking of going to war over it in order to get reelected.
                                                                                                  It was many things, but it surely wasn't a peace agreement.

There was literally no real threat of all out war til the turd went and blew up a general.

I think my feelings on Trump in general are well known. Him being an idiot doesn't mean good things can't come from his admin.

One of Irans top trouble makers are dead, and it looks like there was no real fallout from it. That has to be a win, if we all agree that the Iranian regime is evil.

In addition, the retaliation allows America to put more economic pressure on Iran and also gives EU countries justification to tear up an already disregarded nuclear deal and also mirror those sanctions. Likely bringing Iran back to the negotiating table.

The economic sanctions put more pressure on Irans theocracy, and also make it more likely they never get a nuke.

I mean, this could have all been done by the states just applying more sanctions and then pressuring the EU to do the same but then we wouldnt have a dead trouble maker.

Thats all very simplistic, and I don't pretend to know the nuances, or to try understand how the law of unintended consequences will play out here but from a high level, I could hear an argument this has been a win.

Comment

That post could age horribly.

Comment

The Degenerates, season 2 episode 2, Netflix, a quality 20 mins.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                        Devils advocate:

Why isn't this a victory for Trump and the US, and arguably the West?

1. General of the Quds killed. Objectively hated America. Was definitely responsible for the killings of Americans.

2. Irans retaliation did 'nuttin

3. Iran now backed into a corner with new sanctions and likely JPCOA likely going to be torn up. Will this bring them to the table again?

4. Seems like there'll be no more. Or at least nothing direct.
                                                                                                        Getting kicked out a country that you spent $7bn on to 'liberate' seems somewhat regressive.

Comment

For the guts of the last 6 years or so, myself and Mrs Lao Lao have had a regular bit of bravado and banter around tennis. It all started in the spring of 2014 as we walked through Herbert Park one Sunday and there was a comment made about the tennis courts and the people playing. Mrs Lao Lao asked me if I played and if I did, we should play sometime.

I, like any man in the very early stages of a new relationship should, lied through my teeth.

"I'm not going to lie to you, I am very good at tennis - I haven't played in a while but I used to play at a fairly decent level"

This seemed to go down well and over the years, any time a game of tennis was mentioned, I doubled down on my original opening salvo.

"I'd easily beat you"
                                                                                                          "It'd be no contest"
                                                                                                          "I'd whip your ass at tennis"
                                                                                                          "Please, it'd be embarrassing for you"

The reality was, ever so slightly different. The last time I played tennis was 1988, when I was ten, after Edberg beat Becker in Wimbledon. We used wooden tennis rackets that were hand me downs from my sister who was ten years older than me. Our court had no net as we played on the road outside the gaff and the court markings were the tarmac lines on the road. I have never played on an actual tennis court.

Mrs Lao Lao, on the other hand, has a slightly better tennis pedigree. She played right through primary school. Played every summer bar one year in secondary school. She was a member of a tennis club for most of her 20's and only left around 28 with the last decade being sparsely populated with the odd game here or there.

These minor, trivial details of our respective tennis ability didn't phase me. I was pretty confident that there would never be an actual game;

Neither of us were members of a tennis club and had no ambitions to join one.
                                                                                                          I was never going to organise a game.
                                                                                                          I felt confident that Mrs Lao Lao wouldn't go to the hassle of arranging one either.

That was until this week.

We are currently on holidays and our very nice hotel has a full size outdoor tennis court. To make things even better, it is situated just outside our room so every time you leave the room, it is the first thing you see. Since Saturday, I have trebled down on my amazing tennis abilities in the hope that we'd never get around to a game - too much to do/see.

This lasted until this afternoon when Mrs Lao Lao went to reception, handed over the €20 deposit and collected two tennis rackets and four balls.

Now, I didn't go on holiday with tennis in mind and even if I did, I wouldn't have had any of the gear anyway, so I took to the court in cargo shorts, a t-shirt and converse runners. The upper echelons of Wimbledon would have been horrified.

Despite having never played on an actual tennis court, I actually really like tennis and have watched it extensively over the years so I was hoping my years of...eh...research, may hold up.

The first thing I noticed that may not have been quite so obvious from the confines of my couch was that tennis courts are quite big, bigger than I expected which meant more ground to cover. This revelation was closely followed by the fact that serving is harder than you think.

Anyway, we only had the court for 50 minutes as others had it pre-booked so after a short knock around, we got into it. The deal was, whoever was winning at the end of the time, was the winner, regardless of how many games we got through.

Mrs Lao Lao took the first game, but I held serve and then broke her serve in the 3rd game to take an early 2-1 lead. Now, at this point, some people may be getting a bit cocky but not me. The first three games had really hammered home just how unbelievably unfit I am at the minute. There was sweat gushing out of every single pour in my body and I was already dead on my feet. I had clearly peaked too soon.

Mrs Lao Lao took the 4th game in a tense affair which saw us back and forth from Deuce a few times but ultimately my serving let me down for a double fault to hand her the game. It was now 2-2 and I could easily have taken my t-shirt off, held it over my head, rang it out and had a showers with the contents.

The 5th game was also very tight. I initially went into a 30 to love lead only for Mrs Lao Lao to claw her way back into it and we once again bounced back and forth from Deuce a few times before she clinched it to take a 3-2 lead.

The 6th game was a very once sided affair, with the timer going off in the middle of it. I only scored one point as Mrs Lao Lao took the game to win the contest 4 games to 2.

If I'm honest, it was for the best, had we extra time, I'm not sure I would have been able to get back into it and the score line could have been a lot worse. Despite the humiliating loss and subsequent lording over me (something that will probably continue for quite some time) I actually quite enjoyed it and when I get my arse into gear and get fit, I would like to have a good go at playing and improving. I mean, there has to be a rematch, all great champions bullshitters get a rematch, don't they?

TLDR - All bullshit is eventually found out, it just takes a matter of time.

Comment

Getting kicked out a country that you spent $7bn on to 'liberate' seems somewhat regressive.
                                                                                                            That seems relatively small when their annual military spend is 650bn

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                              That seems relatively small when their annual military spend is 650bn
                                                                                                              ah yes, I meant

$7 TRILLION

Comment

Just had my first ever vegan Magnum. Excellent stuff, and currently €3.50 for 3 in Tesco.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Refried Beans look absolutely vile, and taste unreal.

What else is in this category?

Comment

...

Comment

Correlation does not imply causation. Would Fergie get great results with this group of players?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                        Correlation does not imply causation. Would Fergie get great results with this group of players?
                                                                                                                        He wouldn't have bought them in the first place!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                          Refried Beans look absolutely vile, and taste unreal.

What else is in this category?
                                                                                                                          I'll offer up 'smells vile, tastes great':

Fish sauce (nam plaa)
                                                                                                                          Kidneys
                                                                                                                          Camembert

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X