Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Fun times doing it the other way round and seeing which of the shitholes on the bottom of the list you've been to.

Antanarivo, Lagos and Harare for me. Don't recall any of them as being especially terrible tbf
      Phnom Penh is my first interaction with this list from the bottom.

Is a shithole.

Then Hanoi, which I was in for best part of year. Being white helped a lot.
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
        I found the health services fantastic when I went to them
        'Hey doctor I have this lump here that I'd like checked'
        X-rays, scans, biopsy all done within three/four days and results back a few days after that with the all clear which all seemed incredibly fast. No idea how long this would take back in Ireland with no health insurance.

Housing is really affordable, the downturn in economy slowed it down the last few years but even when it was booming it was still affordable, Vancouver and Toronto are different altogether. It's incredible the amount of houses, large scale apartment complexes, towers, townhouses etc that are still getting built. Copperfield won't seem that far in a few years, when there's more communities south of Seton .

Who knew the conservatives would cut incentives outside the oil and gas industry!

Yeah healthcare is unreal, its clean and quick. When I popped the shoulder out I was in and out in an hour, meds all sorted. MRI a month later once swelling had gone down, and then option of surgery or wait given to me. Chose to wait cos golf.

Ha. Its actually as far out as almost Kill i(n Kildare) is from Dublin, but it doesnt feel nearly as far out. Go figure.

Yeah the SRED thing was interesting. Platform on pro jobs and then decimate an industry overnight - effects wont be felt for another year or two but we were building a nice little hub here for tech. Now itll be overlooked again.
        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

On the side topic of Healthcare, one loss from the previous role is that both our policies were 100% subsidised so we will need to cover that now.

The previous policy has what seems like a lot of unnecessary elements such as podiatry, 20 x physio, 20 x GP visits and no excess that can be omitted I think.

Is anyone particularly familiar with policies, the HIA have a comparison tool so I have an idea but I'd prefer not to pay for a lot of unnecessary treatments if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
            Ah heorr I’m nearly as old as you I know but the concentration in Dublin is possibly worse don’t have the stats. I’m never hounded in Navan for a yuro fir a hostil if I have a pint outside.
            Never been into the bookies there then?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Mods, can we please get rid of this person asap. She falsely accused a family man, a good man, of sexual assault in here. The most serious thing that can be levelled at a person.

She's dangerous.
              Ah heyor -Dice=good

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Lets take that list with a small bit of doubt given Paris is ranked about the same as Dublin and is horrible to live in, and they've left out Toulouse which is the definition of good big city living.
                it's an OPINION

I find Toulouse fairly boring
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                  Ah heorr I’m nearly as old as you I know but the concentration in Dublin is possibly worse don’t have the stats. I’m never hounded in Navan for a yuro fir a hostil if I have a pint outside.
                  that's because you are a scary and threatening individual

Comment

Comment

it's an OPINION

I find Toulouse fairly boring
                      Are you watching the Andrew Neil show?

Labour MP trying to argue that Ashworth was only have banter in private:
                      The shadow health secretary was right when he told his Judas friend that Labour has self-destructed. If the party loses to this monstrous cabal of terminally entitled dodgepots, it will have only itself to blame

Comment

DePheffel Johnson Friday

"Where did you get that anyway?"Donate Bitcoin: 18DXcvvsg1sFuuSJ5E7DhXtqeeWW4ACMp4

Comment

Is Dublin your spiritual home Hitch?

Where do your parents live?
                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

5,380 posts over 10 years, nearly all complete with the most awful shocking grammar, and then you hit us with a top ten line in the history of IPB. That's a proper long-con.
                              My English may not be great 😀 wife used to teach English but I do have the odd sniff of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                Never been into the bookies there then?
                                No I’m cured but did recognize a man who used to be involved in the bet fair part of the Merrion he didn’t recognize me but I never forget a face.

Comment

that's because you are a scary and threatening individual
                                  A girl on a bicycle today called me a prick probably 18-19Walking along the path in Phibsborough an old lady and me had to get out of the way as she cycled on the path against traffic. I said you know it’s illegal told me it was only way and went ranting a loud prickkkk echoing as she hopped on the bike. I’ll be shouting clothes lineeeeee the next time wwf style.

Comment

Comment

Savanta ComRes.
                                      Best poll yet for Labour, smallest gap and first time they've broke through 35.

CON 41% (-)
                                      LAB 36% (+3)
                                      LD 12% (-)
                                      Other 11% (-3)

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                        Savanta ComRes.
                                        Best poll yet for Labour, smallest gap and first time they've broke through 35.

CON 41% (-)
                                        LAB 36% (+3)
                                        LD 12% (-)
                                        Other 11% (-3)
                                        If I have to export cheese to Kildare, it will be a sad, sad day

Comment

Comment

Nah its just a tease. They already know from the postal votes how it's going to go approximately even if those come from mainly elderly people. It's sadly going to be a landslide.
                                            Wonderful.

I mean sad for the Brits but vote for stupidity and that's what you get.
                                            I wonder when the realisation of what they actually voted for back in 2016 and the consequences of that actually starts trickling into the public consciousness?

'ere, why do we 'ave to go in this long facking queue in the facking airport?

Comment

Nah its just a tease. They already know from the postal votes how it's going to go approximately even if those come from mainly elderly people. It's sadly going to be a landslide.
                                              Pissing rain and freezing cold in a good few Brexit parts of Engerland tomorrow

The kind of weather that will put off my old friend Captain bring back Empire and some of the blue rinse brigade

The Trots however will be out in their look at me Tom Crean memorial pipe and hat set

Might make it interesting for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                Any good quiz questions lately?
                                                Cryptic one:

Almost motorcycling in Switzerland.
                                                Name the film.
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  Cryptic one:

Almost motorcycling in Switzerland.
                                                  Name the film.
                                                  SPOILER
                                                  The Great Escape

Comment

Thats a great summary and very nicely written. The only bit thats not quite right is the bolded bit. I'm genuinely (this time) trying to balance the different factors - especially family stuff - and finding it hard.

EDIT: one other point - actually its my wife who wants to move back to Dublin in particular. Thats the critical issue given we have quite a tenuous relationship at the best of times.
                                                    As a recruiter who talks to people planning relocations I am happy to let you know that you are moving to Dublin.

Bar seriously alpha male single income earners the wife makes the call. You do need to decide if it’s your joint descision or she is dragging you tho

Comment

Comment

Anyone here been to Cuba and have some stories/tips?
                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

nvm - creating new thread to keep chat on course if people are interested
                                                          Last edited by mdoug; 12-12-19, 10:39.
                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

To paraphrase Thom Yorke. Bring down the Government. They don't. They dont speak for You.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                              On the side topic of Healthcare, one loss from the previous role is that both our policies were 100% subsidised so we will need to cover that now.

The previous policy has what seems like a lot of unnecessary elements such as podiatry, 20 x physio, 20 x GP visits and no excess that can be omitted I think.

Is anyone particularly familiar with policies, the HIA have a comparison tool so I have an idea but I'd prefer not to pay for a lot of unnecessary treatments if possible.
                                                              If you're male and generally healthy the best approach seems to be to select the maximum excess I think its around 500pa. You're covered for the serious stuff and you are likely to be no worse off on the day to day.

More complex decision for females but in general community rating means they're getting value on every contract option anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post
                                                                If you're male and generally healthy the best approach seems to be to select the maximum excess I think its around 500pa. You're covered for the serious stuff and you are likely to be no worse off on the day to day.

More complex decision for females but in general community rating means they're getting value on every contract option anyway.
                                                                That's the exact approach we have decided to take to date.
                                                                The current plan is 1350e each to continue but zero excess and all the additional extras.

I think reduce mine significantly as you said and perhaps find a plan that is more specific without physio etc tied in.

Currently with VHI and using the comparison tool, they seem to offer the most in similar price ranges.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Holy Shit!!

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                        Cut off a big unused lump of the Phoenix park and build houses there

Plant a few 1000 trees elsewhere to carbon wash it
                                                                        Leave the Phoenix alone. Clontarf Golf Club, however...
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                          Pissing rain and freezing cold in a good few Brexit parts of Engerland tomorrow

The kind of weather that will put off my old friend Captain bring back Empire and some of the blue rinse brigade

The Trots however will be out in their look at me Tom Crean memorial pipe and hat set

Might make it interesting for a while
                                                                          Surely other way round.

Wanky students will curl up in their duvets for the day. Auld ones will be out and about, do the shopping, vote for Boris, rad the Telegraph, shout at clouds

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                            JOEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

it's terrible Joe, terrible.

in fairness I hate golf.

Comment

Comment

Hungry now.

Comment

I can think of approximately 5 other golf clubs in similar proximity to the city that could also be sacrificed.

We have too many as things stand, unfortunately I doubt those are the ones that are struggling to stay afloat.

Comment

Hungry now.
                                                                                    Can't believe you're willing to throw us under the bus for a bitta ham.
                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                      Can't believe you're willing to throw us under the bus for a bitta ham.
                                                                                      you haven't tasted this ham

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                        I can think of approximately 5 other golf clubs in similar proximity to the city that could also be sacrificed.

We have too many as things stand, unfortunately I doubt those are the ones that are struggling to stay afloat.
                                                                                        If they're open to the public they've got a utility value there, but private clubs with limited memberships inside the m50 can gtfo. They could build 6 golf clubs in the bog with the value of that land. Wankers.
                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

If they're open to the public they've got a utility value there, but private clubs with limited memberships inside the m50 can gtfo. They could build 6 golf clubs in the bog with the value of that land. Wankers.
                                                                                          Ironically, the membership would probably agree with you as they would be in line for a big juicy payout

My ex-neighbour was disgusted in the Madness. Member of Clontarf GC and they were proposing to sell at some insane price, he would have netted a six figure sum but just before the deal went through the entire world collapsed and it never happened.

Ruined the game for him too.

Comment

A developer had put in a proposal to buy Clontarf Golf Club back in the boom.

The members were getting €100,000 each and a new course.

Crash happened and developer pulled out.

What RD3 said
                                                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Yeah they had a deal for 100k each plus a swap for an existing course in Portmarnock, all fell through in July 2008. Would have got it through earlier if a few greedy scumbags hadn't held out for more lolololol.

'We have taken this decision in the light of the extraordinary change in the economic climate over recent months'

Of course, I'm talking about CPOing the land and giving them the bare minimum legally allowed. Would still be a decent payday for them. If they turn it down then we can rezone the land for housing and issue massive fines for unused land until they crack.

Comment

ha, excellent richie. Had to read that twice to fully get the implication.

She was swimming in that moonlight sea swim somewhere in Dublin tonight and was saying how she wanted to do it every week. So I guess I better start packing.
                                                                                                Where was the moonlight sea swim?

Jesus, it would be cold at this time of the year. I haven't been in the sea since late Sept and apart from a possible dip on Christmas morning have no intention of getting back in until mid May (and it'll still be cold then)

Dublin isn't perfect. I have bemoaned some of it's issues on here but I can't think of anywhere else I would live in Ireland.

There is a hell of a lot going for it it and people who say there is nothing to do for kids or nothing to do outside pubs haven't made any effort to find exactly what is out there, there is loads!

The only reason I would leave Dublin to go elsewhere in Ireland would be for a big work promotion but with offices in Shannon, Cork and Belfast, I'm not sure which is the lesser evil!

Comment

I'm sure someone will be along to suggest we just kill and eat the membership instead.

SPOILER
                                                                                                  Some part of me is still kinda ok with that

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                    Where was the moonlight sea swim?

Jesus, it would be cold at this time of the year. I haven't been in the sea since late Sept and apart from a possible dip on Christmas morning have no intention of getting back in until mid May (and it'll still be cold then)

Dublin isn't perfect. I have bemoaned some of it's issues on here but I can't think of anywhere else I would live in Ireland.

There is a hell of a lot going for it it and people who say there is nothing to do for kids or nothing to do outside pubs haven't made any effort to find exactly what is out there, there is loads!

The only reason I would leave Dublin to go elsewhere in Ireland would be for a big work promotion but with offices in Shannon, Cork and Belfast, I'm not sure which is the lesser evil!
                                                                                                    Mrs DIII and I often talked about it. Cash in the Dublin equity and move down the country. She can get a senior-ish HSE job anywhere and I can WFH.

She comes from small town Ireland and would never go back. And I can understand why, dreary shite where everyone knows your business going back 10 generations. Nothing to do beyond the GAA club and drinking.

So you're left with the cities and tbh, I do't see any of them as having a patch on Dublin. Galway is the best of them but is wet as fuck and traffic-choked.

Comment

The traffic in Galway really is horrendous. I was back for the weekend sometime a few months ago and I'd never see the traffic so bad. I said so to my family there and got various excuses, none of which really explained it. They NEED to sort it out, build more bridges over the Corrib and damn the NIMBYs. Using the bodies of the NIMBYs to build a dam also acceptable

I only go back once every two/three months at this stage, spent most of my life growing up there but at this stage Galway is just far, far too small, too used to a bit more hustle and bustle. Not that I make it into Dublin city that much either these days, what with the toddler to look after. Never really cared too much about the rain in Galway... funny how the memory works, I only seem to remember sunny summer days from my childhood.

Comment

Am going down for the rugby on Saturday, and the traffic will probably be impacted as a result! So once more into the breach...

Comment

Mrs DIII and I often talked about it. Cash in the Dublin equity and move down the country. She can get a senior-ish HSE job anywhere and I can WFH.

She comes from small town Ireland and would never go back. And I can understand why, dreary shite where everyone knows your business going back 10 generations. Nothing to do beyond the GAA club and drinking.

So you're left with the cities and tbh, I do't see any of them as having a patch on Dublin. Galway is the best of them but is wet as fuck and traffic-choked.
                                                                                                          Yeah, small town is grim. Shannon would be the least attractive from that point of view.

Only thing is that if/when the promotion came up (There is no vacant positions right now and there is no guarantee that I'd automatically get it) it would be an uplift of a minimum of 200% (potentially as high as 300%) which is not to be sniffed at.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Yeah they had a deal for 100k each plus a swap for an existing course in Portmarnock, all fell through in July 2008. Would have got it through earlier if a few greedy scumbags hadn't held out for more lolololol.

'We have taken this decision in the light of the extraordinary change in the economic climate over recent months'

Of course, I'm talking about CPOing the land and giving them the bare minimum legally allowed. Would still be a decent payday for them. If they turn it down then we can rezone the land for housing and issue massive fines for unused land until they crack.
                                                                                                                Whole family is in Milltown. Between them, Elm Park, Castle & Grange you'd have a lot of nice houses in nice Southside areas. Never happen though.

They did get it through at "Dun Laoghaire" GC.

Comment

I want to say somewhere beginning with S on a dart line? Google suggests Seapoint. Loads of people there apparently and absolutely frozen.
                                                                                                                  Seapoint makes sense, usually a good crowd swimming there.

Wouldn't be my favourite place though. It's not too bad at high tide but at low tide, it's a pain to wade out to the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I'd expect the sea to be a small bit warmer now than in May.

Listening to people talk about swimming in rivers and lakes all year and that is just mental

Comment

Delivery being packed as we speak and leaving tonight, had to bump the size of the order just incase the polls have got it right for once but the excess I ordered will go well with a kilo of

and a nice bit of

Comment

This reminds me, I need to go and get many smoked, cured and spiced meats for the xmas period.
                                                                                                                        I help a fellow out last year and found myself with a load of good stuff.
                                                                                                                        But I honestly don't know where to BUY it.
                                                                                                                        Is it as simple as going to fallon and byrnes or avoca or something and handing them €50 and a brown bag and say fill er up?
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Three players that scored in at least three games-in-a-row against Man United in the Premier League?

You'll easily get one, 100% won't get another, and might get the final one.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X