Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Need to leave out the '?' imo

Rhetorical qs don't have them.
    Of course they do. Just don't expect to be answered.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Def posted already but still , cringe..

Watch Green MEP Molly Scott Cato stuns Brexit Party MEP with reply to claim 'she does not have an economics degree' - inews on Dailymotion

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
        Of course they do. Just don't expect to be answered.
        Nope.

No question mark at the end of a rhetorical.

Are you wrong on this.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Nope.

No question mark at the end of a rhetorical.

Are you wrong on this.
          Some common examples of rhetorical questions from daily life are as follows:

“Who knows?”
          “Are you stupid?”
          “Did you hear me?”
          “Ok?”
          “Why not?”
          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
            You can put a Q mark on if you want, still works, but if you want to be really cool, smug and clever, you don't.

I learnt it from kayroo, so there

Comment

Paging Kayroo...

Comment

Who cares ?
                What's the point ?

Comment

If it's a rhetorical question,
                  why does it matter!
                  Last edited by DeeBrown; 01-12-19, 21:12.

Comment

This is the same Joey in the Irishman, Dylan seemingly got a bit of stick for depicting him as a hero.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Jesus, that song is as filler-laden as the film.

Comment

rumors doing the rounds that the queen is brown bread

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                          Jesus, that song is as filler-laden as the film.
                          Shut your stupid mouth !
                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                            This is the same Joey in the Irishman, Dylan seemingly got a bit of stick for depicting him as a hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2T98AGG2Ss
                            That Album Desire is a masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              That Album Desire is a masterpiece.
                              They certainly dont make them like that anymore.

Came across this earlier, looking back, i should have taken up guitar when i first regretted not..would have been this good now !

Taken from “Soundbreaking” documentary © 2016 Higher Ground LLCvk.com/markknopfler
                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                On no
                                Shocking news
                                What will all the colonies do now nobody will visit them

Comment

Need to leave out the '?' imo

Rhetorical qs don't have them.
                                  You can put a Q mark on if you want, still works, but if you want to be really cool, smug and clever, you don't.

I learnt it from kayroo, so there
                                  Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                  Paging Kayroo...
                                  Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                  Who cares ?
                                  What's the point ?
                                  The question mark doesn't make it a question (rhetorical or otherwise). The question mark denotes the tone of the phrase. Punctuation marks are used to inform the reader as to how to read the sentence.

So in the example Lazare was criticising, he is incorrect. The question mark is necessary to inform the reader that the tone is supposed to echo a normal question.

Important to remember Lazare - you might have picked that one up from me but you have to be careful when dishing out the smug. It can backfire spectacularly (as I have come to learn over many years of dedicated smug).
                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                    A friend of mine is going to Buck House and on to Windsor Castle this morning to complete a bit of business with the Royal Household, he's has been working on the deal for a very long time and has everything set up to deliver this morning
                                    Would be hilarious and disastrous in equal measure if it is true.
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                      The question mark doesn't make it a question (rhetorical or otherwise). The question mark denotes the tone of the phrase. Punctuation marks are used to inform the reader as to how to read the sentence.

So in the example Lazare was criticising, he is incorrect. The question mark is necessary to inform the reader that the tone is supposed to echo a normal question.

Important to remember Lazare - you might have picked that one up from me but you have to be careful when dishing out the smug. It can backfire spectacularly (as I have come to learn over many years of dedicated smug).

Duly noted.

Was funking hard for you to come on and back me up.

Bollix anyway.

Comment

Duly noted.

Was funking hard for you to come on and back me up.

Bollix anyway.
                                        There’s only enough room around here for one arrogant pedant Laz. Just you remember that!
                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Apparently Prince Charles is dead

SPOILER
                                          hung himself just after her maj said good morning to him earlier today

Comment

Smells like cheese for some...

Election Maps UK @ElectionMapsUK

Westminster Voting Intention:

CON: 42% (+1)
                                            LAB: 35% (+1)
                                            LDM: 13% (=)
                                            BXP: 3% (-1)

Via @ICMResearch, 29 Nov-2 Dec.
                                            Changes w/ 22-25 Nov.
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The man to swing this election is en route. He's got to be worth at least 3%

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                The man to swing this election is en route. He's got to be worth at least 3%

All it should take is a single journo asking about why america is not getting a great deal with the NHS. Or even if he thinks the NHS is a good model.
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                  Smells like cheese for some...
                                                  SNP
                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Is there a way to see what the twitter feed of a random Tory voter looks like without following scum like Julia Hateful Bitch?

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
                                                      Have the Fitz made any response to the widespread cheating allegations in their tournaments made by a former & recent employee who is also a longtime respected member of this community? I’d be interested to see it as the Fitz is my favorite place to play poker.
                                                      Did they formally release anything yet does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                        SNP
                                                        They are usually left out of these released polling figures because they don't stand candidates throughout Great Britain.
                                                        So their polling figure nationwide (say 2.5%) is effectively meaningless until/unless you look at Scots only polling.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                          They are usually left out of these released polling figures because they don't stand candidates throughout Great Britain.
                                                          So their polling figure nationwide (say 2.5%) is effectively meaningless until/unless you look at Scots only polling.
                                                          Makes sense.

Tory majority easing a bit to 4/9 so hopefully we get a good sweat next week screaming on an obscure candidate in little Goatfuck-by-the-Sea FTW of salami.

It's what Mrs Thatcher would have wanted.

Comment

Amazon prime era of premier league streaming starts tonight.
                                                            I’ve been pondering the ethics of this deeply for past few weeks and have come to the decision to endorse anyone who decides to stream these games rather than make that creep any more $$$. Stream with a clear conscience

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                              Amazon prime era of premier league streaming starts tonight.
                                                              I’ve been pondering the ethics of this deeply for past few weeks and have come to the decision to endorse anyone who decides to stream these games rather than make that creep any more $$$. Stream with a clear conscience
                                                              Nah fuck that I subscribe to amazon prime

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                Is there a way to see what the twitter feed of a random Tory voter looks like without following scum like Julia Hateful Bitch?
                                                                There are plenty of reasonable conservatives out there, if you can learn to ignore the trolls. I like Joanna Williams from Spiked Online. She isn't trying to be controversial for the sake of controversy, but generally hits all the major talking points.

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                  There are plenty of reasonable conservatives out there, if you can learn to ignore the trolls. I like Joanna Williams from Spiked Online. She isn't trying to be controversial for the sake of controversy, but generally hits all the major talking points.

https://twitter.com/jowilliams293
                                                                  Yeah I have a few and I will suss her out but what I was looking for is a tool that lets you look at what someone else's feed looks like. Sounds like it could be possible to create with the API as long as you didn't have to create an account with the same followed follower mix.

Take for instance Johnston's performance on Marr, other than a couple of comments that Marr interrupted too much I didn't see any even half assed attempt to pull anything positive out of it but I has a dozen different clips of him bumbling, deflecting and barefaced lying, there is never anyone arguing for anything they are trying to pass of as policies other than the occasional 'get brxit done' slogan.
                                                                  On Corbyn I seem to have a fairly even handed mix of criticism, praise and sensible comment pro and against his stated policies

Comment

Speaking of Amazon, Andy Murray's new documentary on there is a great portrayal of the borderline psychotic lengths some elite sportsmen go to try stay at the top, fascinating viewing.
                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

The problem is that self-described conservatives are not actually conservative any more.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                        Speaking of Amazon, Andy Murray's new documentary on there is a great portrayal of the borderline psychotic lengths some elite sportsmen go to try stay at the top, fascinating viewing.
                                                                        Cliff's?

Spoiler if required

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                          Cliff's?

Spoiler if required
                                                                          It follows him during a period from 2017-2019 where his body was basically constantly broken from his insane training schedules to get to number 1 in the golden era in previous years. He undergoes numerous hip surgeries, each more severe then the last and basically cant accept it's over despite medical advice that he could be doing permanent damage that could leave him in pain for life.
                                                                          The guy is an emotional wreck the whole time at the thought of retiring young and post professional tennis life and it all makes for very compelling viewing.
                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Hitch getting retweeted by Taoiseach's these days
                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

On her front page she gives out about tree-planting, demonises Greta Thunberg and argues that Multicultarism is undermining democracy; and everything else is either Labour is bad, Conservative is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                On her front page she gives out about tree-planting, demonises Greta Thunberg and argues that Multicultarism is undermining democracy; and everything else is either Labour is bad, Conservative is good.
                                                                                Yeah I clicked on the link thinking it would be good to have another rational person I disagree with a bit in my timeline but noped out after scrolling through a couple of pages.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                  Hitch getting retweeted by Taoiseach's these days
                                                                                  True gaeler if we ever saw one

Comment

Like I said, reasonable conservative.
                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                      Nah fuck that I subscribe to amazon prime
                                                                                      do you get it here?
                                                                                      amazone streaming in ireland is absolute aids in terms of selection

Comment

Yeah I have a few and I will suss her out but what I was looking for is a tool that lets you look at what someone else's feed looks like. Sounds like it could be possible to create with the API as long as you didn't have to create an account with the same followed follower mix.

Take for instance Johnston's performance on Marr, other than a couple of comments that Marr interrupted too much I didn't see any even half assed attempt to pull anything positive out of it but I has a dozen different clips of him bumbling, deflecting and barefaced lying, there is never anyone arguing for anything they are trying to pass of as policies other than the occasional 'get brxit done' slogan.
                                                                                        On Corbyn I seem to have a fairly even handed mix of criticism, praise and sensible comment pro and against his stated policies
                                                                                        Ok so you're looking for critiques of Boris from the right? The key thing to remember here is that the right these days are far more interested in values than facts. So many of them like Boris because they don't really care what he says, it's what he does that matters.

I mean Andrew Neil (@afneil) is doing blindingly good work punching in every direction. Rory Stewart is a must follow. Dmitry Grozoubinski @DmitryOpines is excellent, but he's pro-EU so possibly not what you're looking for either. Peter Foster @pmdfoster is excellent on this line also.

On the other side of the Brexit scale the likes of Claire Fox @Fox_Claire would give you the hard Brexiteer line. Lately she's been heavily swung on party lines and by campaigning but she's usually a lot more nuanced.

If I think of others I'll throw them out here.

Comment

Copy & Paste AFB's followed Conservatives seems like a decent place to start if the function you want doesn't exist.

I flip flop so much on the value of Twitter. I've been flicking on it more recently as I haven't had as much time to read and zero interest in audiobooks atm.
                                                                                          That said I've listened to about 15 David Mcwilliams podcasts in the last 2 weeks, pretty easy listening.
                                                                                          For those interested, I've been told that Malcolm Gladwell was atrocious for his live show.

I have a week off before the new job starts, the thoughts of regaining 15 hours of commuting time is nothing short of amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                            do you get it here?
                                                                                            amazone streaming in ireland is absolute aids in terms of selection
                                                                                            Ya the misses wanted it when she was on mat leave and haven’t canceled it. Selection is terrible alright

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                              I flip flop so much on the value of Twitter. I've been flicking on it more recently as I haven't had as much time to read and zero interest in audiobooks atm.
                                                                                              I've never been able to fully get into twitter.I occasionally get linked to a bit of juicy lol-antics. But it's not something that I ever scroll through. I occasionally glance at whatever tweets get push through to my phone.

My main use of twitter is genuinely rolling my eyes at things Hitch says.
                                                                                              Last week he said there was nothing good on Netflix. This is next level trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                Ya the misses wanted it when she was on mat leave and haven’t canceled it. Selection is terrible alright
                                                                                                think im on my 3rd or 4th prime trial.
                                                                                                handy for black friday stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                  I've never been able to fully get into twitter.I occasionally get linked to a bit of juicy lol-antics. But it's not something that I ever scroll through. I occasionally glance at whatever tweets get push through to my phone.

My main use of twitter is genuinely rolling my eyes at things Hitch says.
                                                                                                  Last week he said there was nothing good on Netflix. This is next level trolling.
                                                                                                  No me neither, I dont have anything interesting enough to say which is why I confine that to here.

Hitch is the one who fills most of my notifications, I think he's quite good especially when someone -like Kayroo- has a go at him.
                                                                                                  I enjoy reading the stuff he shares on transport & housing along with his love for Eoghan Murphy.

Comment

I'd say Eoghan Murphy's family don't love him as much as Hitch does.

Comment

Another 'Jaysus' Brexit video here:

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                        I have a week off before the new job starts, the thoughts of regaining 15 hours of commuting time is nothing short of amazing.
                                                                                                        Amazingly shit?

Got the DART yesterday and was reminded why I cycle.

Comment

Would be good to have a list of 'what conservatives are supposed to believe in' vs 'what conservatives vote for'

e.g. 'fiscal responsibility' vs 'running trillion dollar deficits - in a boom'

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                            Amazingly shit?

Got the DART yesterday and was reminded why I cycle.
                                                                                                            I mean regaining the 15 hours currently lost to commuting

I was doing four 2hr 30min and four 1hr 30min trips, this is now down to ten 8min trips.

Comment

Reading some mystical Hotspur posts make me feel low brow . Then I go on Twitter read tweets from the powerful rich and famous and my eyebrows raise back into place .

Twitter is a goo fest.

Comment

I noticed Leo follows a few posters in here and now he's retweeting Hitch. Hmmm. Hi Leo

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                  I noticed Leo follows a few posters in here and now he's retweeting Hitch. Hmmm. Hi Leo
                                                                                                                  We’re an unpaid, overworked think tank for them.
                                                                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Like I said, reasonable conservative.
                                                                                                                    That's not reasonable, that's abhorrent.

Comment

I'm assuming that's the point, that what passes for a reasonable conservative these days is the likes of her!

I'm really struggling to believe that 42% of the british electorate are so monumentally stupid that they would elect to a majority government a party with such an utterly despicable leadership.
                                                                                                                      They are not even pretending to offer anything beyond the slogan of get brexit done that only the terminally stupid do not understand to be a blatant lie that will in fact either be another 5 years of negotiation or a no deal exit and either way the breakup of the UK. The only other tactic is to demonise the opposition and somehow convince the public that it was in fact them that have been in power for the last decade.

It makes Trump and the 2016 Brexit vote look by comparison intelligent informed decisions, I mean they have all the information about who and what these guys are and still they are at 42% in the polls

Comment

I'm assuming that's the point, that what passes for a reasonable conservative these days is the likes of her!

I'm really struggling to believe that 42% of the british electorate are so monumentally stupid that they would elect to a majority government a party with such an utterly despicable leadership.
                                                                                                                        I dealt with enough of them, they are made stupid, react not think, fed by bad school system and press.
                                                                                                                        As soon as you question it, anger or ... actual thought and sheepish joke, next day back to spouting slogans!

Look at this fucktard

He would have been in a poorhouse or press-ganged onto a ship during empire and struggled to see 30
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 03-12-19, 15:47.

Comment

To snowflakes like yerselves maybe

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X