Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

account hacked

Ok need advise/help please..

Won $1900 or so on stars tuesday night and logged off before 12 and hit the hay. went to log in again last night and acc was frozen, so i checked e,mail to find acc was hacked.

$1936 was withdrawn via netteller and then there was a load of heads up games played etc.
    contacted support last night around 8pm and after several e,mails to several different departments i finally got a reply 15 hours later.

They have said my laptop was accessed from a foreign computer and my password was compromised and whoever accessed my acc knew my password , narrows it down to myself, some hacker or stars staff member.My password is on remember me so i just click and im in.

I presume the 2k is cleared from my acc but they wont tell me what amount. They have said they are unable to recover funds which i find crazy if netteller takes 72 hours to clear.

I am not getting any reply from them which is driving me nuts they have just fobbed it off and wont answer any questions...

how did this happen ?
    how much was taken ?
    why did then send cash so fast ?

So my question to IPB is what can i do about this ? ?

Ughhh that's shit Dave.

Stars are notorious for being slow to respond and give you answers to questions. Why would they withdraw $2k to your own Neteller account?

Did they actually say your laptop was accessed from a foreign, because i'm not sure how they would know that. Maybe they just mean your stars account was accessed.

Hopefully you get it sorted.

Comment

Dont have netteller and never used it in my life..

From stars...

Computer finger printing technology is utilized by our security team in order to determine which computer your account was accessed from. In this case our investigation concludes that your account was accessed from a foreign computer where no logins were previously detected from. it is therefore possible that your login credentials have been compromised.

They wont tell me where ,how much was taken , why cash was sent so quick etc

Comment

Yep Tony meant acc not laptop..

Comment

I'm sure there's people more knowledgeable than me here, but if your password is saved for auto-login, then it sounds like a case of hackers just gaining access to your computer itself. There could be some trojan horse you downloaded inadvertently that gives hackers remote access to your computer.
          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Not much choices available until Stars go through the email responses with you and even then unfortunately I'm not sure what options will actually be available.

I would advise to go file a report with the Garda. Advise Pokerstars you have filed a report with the Police and ask them to investigate this as a fraudulent transaction with Neteller.

By making it official it often gives companies more of an impetus to get to the bottom of the issue - even if funds cannot be recovered.

I think there are a few here that worked in security with Stars/Full Tilt who may be able to give you some more relevant info to their processes.

Comment

Will go the guards this eve and report it.. thanks for that..

Where would be best place to get laptop checked out ??

Comment

Originally posted by afex View Post
                Ok need advise/help please..

Won $1900 or so on stars tuesday night and logged off before 12 and hit the hay. went to log in again last night and acc was frozen, so i checked e,mail to find acc was hacked.

$1936 was withdrawn via netteller and then there was a load of heads up games played etc.
                contacted support last night around 8pm and after several e,mails to several different departments i finally got a reply 15 hours later.

They have said my laptop was accessed from a foreign computer and my password was compromised and whoever accessed my acc knew my password , narrows it down to myself, some hacker or stars staff member.My password is on remember me so i just click and im in.

I presume the 2k is cleared from my acc but they wont tell me what amount. They have said they are unable to recover funds which i find crazy if netteller takes 72 hours to clear.

I am not getting any reply from them which is driving me nuts they have just fobbed it off and wont answer any questions...

how did this happen ?
                how much was taken ?
                why did then send cash so fast ?

So my question to IPB is what can i do about this ? ?
                The money was withdrawn from your account to a neteller you have never deposited from??
                That REALLY doesn't sound right!!!

I had presumed what happened is that the hackers lost the money to themselves and withdrew to neteller on their account. If it was in fact from your account to a neteller with your name then Stars should take responsibility.

A withdrawal from Stars to Neteller for me is instant. Some people might have to wait a while but it is 100% instant for me, so I would imagine there is never a long wait and in that 15 hours they would have had it in.
                However if you have never used neteller before this is impossible, you cannot withdraw up to 24 hours after you make a deposit so they would have had to deposit and then wait 24 hours before they took your money so Stars is in the wrong if they did use your account to withdraw to something you have never used to deposit.

I would ask Stars to please work with neteller in tracking this money before it disappears, 36 hours is traceable if they work in conjunction so their reply is pretty horrible imo
                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Dont have netteller and never used it in my life.
                  How did you get the funds into Stars?

Most operators have a very strict source to source policy where it comes to withdrawals. I'd be shocked if they let the funds leave so quick.

Comment

Thanks mdoug, i only ever deposit on stars using ukash and if im lucky i withdraw by cheque.

Never used neteller as ive said to deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                      How did you get the funds into Stars?

Most operators have a very strict source to source policy where it comes to withdrawals. I'd be shocked if they let the funds leave so quick.
                      Old customer can do what they like on Stars.

No way Stars staff have access to your password btw so rule that out. File a police report and ask them to email Stars, there will be procedures in place and they can give the police more info than they can give you.

Also big thread on 2+2 about Stars accounts being hacked, worth a look in case it's connected.

Also absolutely no excuse for not using free 6 digit account verification on login or forking out for an RSA token.

Comment

2+2 thread on similar Dave (havent read it yet)

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth @Arcana pretty solid start, but try to write it with less emotion imo. If you want, hit me up on Skype (pmarrsouth), in

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                          Old customer can do what they like on Stars.

No way Stars staff have access to your password btw so rule that out. File a police report and ask them to email Stars, there will be procedures in place and they can give the police more info than they can give you.

Also big thread on 2+2 about Stars accounts being hacked, worth a look in case it's connected.

Also absolutely no excuse for not using free 6 digit account verification on login or forking out for an RSA token.
                          Yea i heard since last night its a problem of hacked accounts which is why im wondering how they allow them to be emptied so quick.

Also with login ive never thought it as an issue my password is 15 digits long so thought it be safe. But you learn something new , never heard of an RSA token.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                            2+2 thread on similar Dave (havent read it yet)

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/28...acked-1513052/
                            Thanks Ciaran, will check it out later..

Also if any one has a number of a laptop guy/gal who can check to see if it was hacked please let me know.

Will be going guards this eve so will see what they say..

Comment

Thanks Ciaran, will check it out later..

Also if any one has a number of a laptop guy/gal who can check to see if it was hacked please let me know.

Will be going guards this eve so will see what they say..
                              Had a quick scan through it. Wouldn't fill you with confidence. Most are slightly different than you in that the hacker deposits via fake Mastercards, tries to run it up & then withdraws to Neteller. Cant be a coincidence that you were done within hours of a score. All the others cant find any trace of email or anything else hacked & have unique passwords.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                Had a quick scan through it. Wouldn't fill you with confidence. Most are slightly different than you in that the hacker deposits via fake Mastercards, tries to run it up & then withdraws to Neteller. Cant be a coincidence that you were done within hours of a score. All the others cant find any trace of email or anything else hacked & have unique passwords.
                                They could have been monitoring his account for the last 2 years waiting for him to get a decent score though

Sorry Dave, couldn't resisit!

Comment

Was looking through cashout policy.

Did you deposit on Tuesday to play that night? In that case, it looks like cashout won't have been approved. The same if you've not used Neteller before (which you haven't). The amount cashed out might also delay it. Fingers crossed your money is save, but just on hold.

In order to protect against collusion and fraud, a 48-hour delay may be imposed on cashing out from your last deposit. If so, please allow 48 hours from your last deposit before requesting your cashout.

Cashouts processed back to previous deposits with NETELLER, Skrill and PayPal will appear in your account within a few minutes.

Cashouts to NETELLER, Skrill and PayPal that are above the total amount deposited, will be processed within 72 hours.
                                  Real money withdrawals in your account are accepted in several ways. Read our terms and conditions for monetary transaction processing and find out more.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

Did you deposit on Tuesday to play that night? In that case, it looks like cashout won't have been approved. The same if you've not used Neteller before (which you haven't). The amount cashed out might also delay it. Fingers crossed your money is save, but just on hold.

https://www.pokerstars.eu/poker/real-money/cashouts/
                                    "May" being the key word. I can't remember the last time one of my Stars w/ds took more than a few hours.

Comment

It's interesting Neteller and Stars have both been hit with DDOS attacks recently. I wonder if there is a new security threat out there related to those.

Comment

https://www.pokerstars.eu/poker/real-money/cashouts/
                                        Not sure why it says 48, it is definitely 24 unless changed within literally the last 3 weeks as I deposited 3 weeks ago. There is an automated system in place which ensures you cannot withdraw in that time either so there is no way around it so if you have never deposited I would be raging at stars personally.
                                        This is coming from someone who has used neteller from 2007 and has been hacked before so I know all this shit all too well.

Also no need to say 2 years :P
                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

That's unfortunate Dave.

My Betfair account was hacked back in 2010. As the CC details are saved in Betfair they maxed out my card by $5k then bet the whole lot on a 50/50 bet. If they win they cash out the 5k winnings to netteller/PayPal etc as the first 5k has to go back to the CC.

In my case the bet lost so I was down 5k, (although if it had won I assume they cash out the 5k surplus then rinse and repeat until it loses anyway) the cops didn't want to know, I called the fraud squad but they don't look at anything under $200k

Regarding your password, they could have hacked your email account then figured you had a stars account then changed your password.
                                          I am guessing that's how they got into mine.

FWIW Betfair did send me a report saying that the IP address that my account was logged into from was a dongle in the midlands which was untraceable.

In the end my CC company took the hit after they investigated the incident.

Comment

[QUOTE=Flushdraw;890854]Was looking through cashout policy.

No had 100 or so already in account.

Have e,mails here that my device was accessed from a diffrent IP address then 2 mins
                                            later a withdrawal to neteller. But i keep trying to point out i dont have/use neteller.

Stars replies just make me so annoyed, when they do reply.

Comment

They should have to make a deposit using neteller to your account to be able to withdraw to that account.
                                              Pretty sure stars also changed it from 24 to 48 hours after making a deposit to withdraw from your account.
                                              I use neteller and stars sometimes can take 1hr-6hrs for funds to reach my account, so it's pretty fast and never 72 hours.
                                              Best of luck with this, but i'd be pissed if stars say they can not do anything when the cashout to neteller should not have been able to process without depositing and waiting the 48 hours.

Comment

Ok managed to pull a few contacts and got in touch with an ethical hacker who works for one of the worlds leading computer companies. So he just spent the last 2 hours going through my laptop and it came back 100% clean.

Asked him what where the chances my log in details could have been compromised my end and his reply was ZERO. Have a meeting with a detective who is willing to look at this closer so will see where it gets me.

Don't know how this will end but will I take it as far as I can to try get my money back..

Comment

Ok I am at a crossroads with this and how to proceed..

Thursday the 16th stars e,mail me to say they have fully investigated my account and they are unable to recover any funds.

After a lot of e,mails from myself they replied yesterday saying that through to there investigation they were able to recover $222.86.

I have replied asking them why they lied in the first e,mail saying funds were gone but 5 days later they can trace $222 and now its been moved to the case manager whom im sure will e,mail me more bullshit.

They will not give me any info on payments to the fake neteller account that wasn't mine for security reasons etc etc.

Im meeting with a fraud detective on Friday who is willing to look at this but I was curious if anybody has any other paths I could go down or is this something I should accept an move on..

Comment

Ok I am at a crossroads with this and how to proceed..

Thursday the 16th stars e,mail me to say they have fully investigated my account and they are unable to recover any funds.

After a lot of e,mails from myself they replied yesterday saying that through to there investigation they were able to recover $222.86.

I have replied asking them why they lied in the first e,mail saying funds were gone but 5 days later they can trace $222 and now its been moved to the case manager whom im sure will e,mail me more bullshit.

They will not give me any info on payments to the fake neteller account that wasn't mine for security reasons etc etc.

Im meeting with a fraud detective on Friday who is willing to look at this but I was curious if anybody has any other paths I could go down or is this something I should accept an move on..
                                                    With the above details what probably has happened is that your PS account balance has always been 0 since the withdrawal. They then contact Neteller to report the fraud and request a return of the withdrawal amount from the specific Neteller account. If there is a balance available in the Neteller account and their security team agree they generally release it back to the company.

As you can imagine the quicker this process is done after the fraud has been committed the more likelihood of recovering some of the money. However with this type of fraud they generally have withdrawn from Neteller immediately after it is processed from the poker site.

It is possible that another transaction went in to Neteller (potentially withdrew your balance in smaller transactions to avoid fraud rules) after PS reported the fraud to Neteller and hence those funds became available.

Comment

Of course another possibility is that some of the funds were dumped to another player (and hence any withdrawal from that known player would look safer) and they have traced it that way through an investigation also.

Comment

Its the fact that after 5 days they can trace $222, what could they have traced if they responded to my first e,mail and not wait 15 hours to reply.

Would it be worth seeking advice from a solicitor or am I just pissing against the wind.

Comment

Its the fact that after 5 days they can trace $222, what could they have traced if they responded to my first e,mail and not wait 15 hours to reply.

Would it be worth seeking advice from a solicitor or am I just pissing against the wind.
                                                          I think your better short term option is to go to their regulator - UK Gambling Commission - and advise your case and you are unhappy with the time taken and information provided.

Regulators are generally fairly quick in progressing their investigations compared to the legal route so I think this is your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                                            I think your better short term option is to go to their regulator - UK Gambling Commission - and advise your case and you are unhappy with the time taken and information provided.

Regulators are generally fairly quick in progressing their investigations compared to the legal route so I think this is your best bet.
                                                            Thanks will look into this now.

Comment

Nice chatting with you. I hope you get your funds back ol chap. Good Luck

Comment

Has there been any luck with this?

I honestly still can't believe stars were like that with their 48 hour fraud/collusion protection, really hope they helped you out in the end.
                                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

They are just ignoring me now since I requested to be put in touch with someone in a senior position and not someone from security.

Last e,mail I received was...

Please be informed that we cannot give you any information regarding the neteller account as we do NOT HOLD the information you requested.

I asked was the neteller in my name, was it used to deposit funds into my account, what country did funds go to and they reply with the above !

I have forwarded on my case to the isle of man gambling commission and I am awaiting there reply. The e,mail trail I have from stars reeks of complete bullshit and lies so I am hoping they will investigate.

In contacting the above I only realised that the first transfer request went through 3 hours after I had logged out but stars only sent an e,mail to inform me that my account was accessed from a foreign IP address over 8 hours after I had logged out.
                                                                  Can this be correct ??

Customer service is a complete farce and they have lied to me several times. They can ignore me all they want but I aint going anywhere.

Comment

They are just ignoring me now since I requested to be put in touch with someone in a senior position and not someone from security.

Last e,mail I received was...

Please be informed that we cannot give you any information regarding the Neteller account as we do NOT HOLD the information you requested.

I asked was the Neteller in my name, was it used to deposit funds into my account, what country did funds go to and they reply with the above !
                                                                    The company won't have the Neteller name on the account. They would either have the Neteller email address or the Neteller account number.

I have forwarded on my case to the isle of man gambling commission and I am awaiting there reply. The e,mail trail I have from stars reeks of complete bullshit and lies so I am hoping they will investigate.
                                                                    How long ago? They are fairly quick at starting proceedings but it may take a while to investigate with the back and forth with the company involved

In contacting the above I only realised that the first transfer request went through 3 hours after I had logged out but stars only sent an e,mail to inform me that my account was accessed from a foreign IP address over 8 hours after I had logged out.
                                                                    Can this be correct ??
                                                                    I believe it was almost instantaneous when I got the Security mail when I used a new device (3 over the last few months).

Example:

Title: Your PokerStars Account – New Device [Attention]

From: PokerStars Security
                                                                    security@pokerstars.com

Hello xxxxxxxxxx,

Your PokerStars account - xxxxxxxxxx - was accessed from a new device on 2015/03/18.

IP Address: xxx.xxx.x.x
                                                                    Location: EU --

If you are aware of the new device usage you don't need to do anything more. If you did not access your account from a new device or you have any questions, please reply to this email.

Regards,

PokerStars Security

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post

I believe it was almost instantaneous when I got the Security mail when I used a new device (3 over the last few months).

Example:

Title: Your PokerStars Account – New Device [Attention]

From: PokerStars Security
                                                                      security@pokerstars.com

Hello xxxxxxxxxx,

Your PokerStars account - xxxxxxxxxx - was accessed from a new device on 2015/03/18.

IP Address: xxx.xxx.x.x
                                                                      Location: EU --

If you are aware of the new device usage you don't need to do anything more. If you did not access your account from a new device or you have any questions, please reply to this email.

Regards,

PokerStars Security
                                                                      I downloaded stars on my phone and tablet yesterday because i was having connection issues on my laptop, and played different parts on the same tournament on all, and never got any notification from stars to say a new device was used which i thought was strange.

Comment

Tournament finished at 23.36.
                                                                        Cashout request for $1936 at 03.19.
                                                                        Then e,mail to notify me my account was accessed was at 08.17.

Contacted the commission last Thursday so will follow it up via phone tomorrow.

Comment

Tournament finished at 23.36.
                                                                          Cashout request for $1936 at 03.19.
                                                                          Then e,mail to notify me my account was accessed was at 08.17.

Contacted the commission last Thursday so will follow it up via phone tomorrow.
                                                                          You sure you're both using GMT for the times?

Comment

You sure you're both using GMT for the times?
                                                                            Could be ET time as well will check in morn as have e,mails printed out in work.

Comment

Working...
                                                                            X