Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you list poker as one of your hobbies in an interview?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you list poker as one of your hobbies in an interview?

Hi Folks, have a job interview coming up this week and was wondering is it a good or bad thing to tell them that I play poker if they ask about my hobbies? Truth be told, poker is really my main hobby but I don't know if it's something to be proud of or not!

If the company googled my name my Hendon Mob page is the first thing in the results that is actually about me and not one of my namesakes!

Social card games?
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Comment

What type of job is it? For some jobs it might be fine, for others not so much.

Comment

No. I've never listed it on a cv or said it in interviews. There's still a bit of taboo about poker in Ireland so I avoid it. On my cv I've always had swimming, GAA and soccer. I can't swim and never go to the pool, I only watch the GAA if Kerry or Kildare are playing. But I do play soccer. Never had any issues.

Comment

Would strongly advise like dobman not to.
          I would not dream of it to be honest very few prospective employers would appreciate Poker on an applicants CV

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
            What type of job is it? For some jobs it might be fine, for others not so much.
            It's for a management position in the leisure industry.

I can spoof some other stuff no problem. Just wondered if there was ever an advantage to being seen to be into poker or are we all just viewed as degens.
            Last edited by SSP; 12-01-15, 19:12.

Comment

If you were going for a job in finance or the gambling industry, for it. Otherwise, it's unlikely your interviewer will think of you as anything other than a compulsive gambler.
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

When I interviewed for a summer job at a software company, one of the interviewers explicitly said it was a mistake to have poker on my c.v.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                  If you were going for a job in finance or the gambling industry, for it. Otherwise, it's unlikely your interviewer will think of you as anything other than a compulsive gambler.
                  I agree completely also you could take the picture off your Hendon mob profile easily deniable if it's an issue than.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                    If you were going for a job in finance or the gambling industry, for it.
                    +1 to this. These are the only two industries were I think it would be seen as a massive negative.

Comment

I never have, doubt I ever will! But I work in civil/structural engineering sector.

Good luck with the job man

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                        +1 to this. These are the only two industries were I think it would be seen as a massive negative.
                        Wouldn't or would? Make sense mellor.
                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Thanks for the advice lads. I certainly didn't put it on my cv, it was only if they asked me about my hobbies in the interview that I was thinking of. Anyway, it seems to be a resounding "don't mention poker!" so I'll say nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by SSP View Post
                            Thanks for the advice lads. I certainly didn't put it on my cv, it was only if they asked me about my hobbies in the interview that I was thinking of. Anyway, it seems to be a resounding "don't mention poker!" so I'll say nothing.
                            if asked just make it sound very casual and stick poker in between other more "noble" strategy games like Chess, maybe Risk, etc. etc., so it looks like you are more interested in the strategic side of the game rather than the gamblig/money side.
                            "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

Interesting topic - I have worked in IT Recruitment for a few years and one of the reasons my MD hired me was because he asked me during my interview to talk about something I was passionate about. I talked about Poker and he was impressed to hear about different cash games and tournaments I have played. What he took from it was if I could be half as passionate about my job as I am with Poker, he would hire me!

Then again - he loves a gamble himself

Comment

I list it on my CV and discussed it a lot in my interview. Even discussed PT4 which turned out to be a massive piece of interest for my manager, then I got thrown "why should I hire a gambler like you?" in tongue and cheek. Haha through me on my back for a minute until I swung it good.

However I work in credit risk in an IB and while I think this was an excellent selling point especially when you mention strategy books and research and link it in with "strategy and probably theory" its great...

But outside of finance or the gaming industry I would be inclined to leave it out...
                                Poker is like sex, position is everything..

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Duecewilder

Comment

Working...
                                X