Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for Improvement

Hi,

I'm looking for some open advice on how to improve my overall game. I generally enjoy playing live cash which I have had some good success with over the last 4-5 years but over the last year I have been playing a lot more online tournaments and started playing some live tournaments recently (Good run at the IPO Dublin and Irish Open last weekend).

I have some moderate results online in tournaments (15th last night in ipoker sunday special) and would really like to improve my online tournament game. I feel my game has picked up a lot over the last year or so and I would like to continue to improve.

I have never really tracked my income/expenditure or reviewed my own hands after sessions so I would appreciate if anyone could recommend some good programmes to start tracking poker expenditure and also for me to review my stats regarding my play.

Would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions?

Cheers,
    Patrick

PT4 o HM2 will help you reviewing your game, tracking your results, identifying leaks, etc. etc - also playing MTT without a HUD if you play several table is a big disadvantage and if you decide to play online cash games in future you would be burning money if you play without a HUD, so this should be your first buy, for MTT even just basic stats like VPIP and PFR do 80% of the job, until you get familiar with it and can add more stats, you don't need to many stats for MTT anyway as you won't have a huge amount of hands on your opponents like you would in cash games where your HUD would need to be very detailed with a lot of stats.

You can keep you online/live income/expenditure on an excel spreadsheet anyway, most players do it this way as sometimes poker software may miss some random hand, not count bonuses (unless you add them manually), rakeback, etc.

Then join one of the many poker schools you find online and watch videos, post hands, read poker books, etc - this is an ever-changing game, so your can pretty much never stop studying it

Good luck!
    "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

Originally posted by ViperEyeIRL View Post
      PT4 o HM2 will help you reviewing your game, tracking your results, identifying leaks, etc. etc - also playing MTT without a HUD if you play several table is a big disadvantage and if you decide to play online cash games in future you would be burning money if you play without a HUD, so this should be your first buy, for MTT even just basic stats like VPIP and PFR do 80% of the job, until you get familiar with it and can add more stats, you don't need to many stats for MTT anyway as you won't have a huge amount of hands on your opponents like you would in cash games where your HUD would need to be very detailed with a lot of stats.

You can keep you online/live income/expenditure on an excel spreadsheet anyway, most players do it this way as sometimes poker software may miss some random hand, not count bonuses (unless you add them manually), rakeback, etc.

Then join one of the many poker schools you find online and watch videos, post hands, read poker books, etc - this is an ever-changing game, so your can pretty much never stop studying it

Good luck!
      Cheers for that mate, will certainly look into all of the points you mentioned

Comment

If you are planning to play a lot online then as suggested its definitely woth investing in either PT4 or Hem2. Even if you don't want to use the hud its a fantastic resource for analyzing your game and replaying tournaments. This is probably the most important bit of off the table work to do really as we all, especially when switching games have many leaks we dont pick up on when just grinding and not reviewing.

With regards to online training sites I would reccomend runitonce. It has a serious roster of pros although the majority of them are on the elite package. Even just getting the essential package on there @ $10 a month is excellent value. It has been around for long enough now to have built up a decent enough library to work your way through. Tournamentpokeredge is another decent site which just focuses on tournament vids. Although they have a lot of good pros I think some video makers arent very relevant to new trends as some of them just grind on american sites. I haven't been a member there for over 6 months now though so maybe it has changed.

Along with those, just asking peoples's opinions on hands and discussing spots with friends is a major way of improving. If not many of your friends are mtters then just get posting spots in the theory section here. Eventhough it doesnt get a great amount of traffic almost all spots posted get input from some really top players like Winning!, 72over, lineus, chips, laoishammer etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianN View Post
          If you are planning to play a lot online then as suggested its definitely woth investing in either PT4 or Hem2. Even if you don't want to use the hud its a fantastic resource for analyzing your game and replaying tournaments. This is probably the most important bit of off the table work to do really as we all, especially when switching games have many leaks we dont pick up on when just grinding and not reviewing.

With regards to online training sites I would reccomend runitonce. It has a serious roster of pros although the majority of them are on the elite package. Even just getting the essential package on there @ $10 a month is excellent value. It has been around for long enough now to have built up a decent enough library to work your way through. Tournamentpokeredge is another decent site which just focuses on tournament vids. Although they have a lot of good pros I think some video makers arent very relevant to new trends as some of them just grind on american sites. I haven't been a member there for over 6 months now though so maybe it has changed.

Along with those, just asking peoples's opinions on hands and discussing spots with friends is a major way of improving. If not many of your friends are mtters then just get posting spots in the theory section here. Eventhough it doesnt get a great amount of traffic almost all spots posted get input from some really top players like Winning!, 72over, lineus, chips, laoishammer etc.
          pretty much this, get PT4, flopzilla and icmizer and just go through spots that you've marked throughout the day, either before grinding or after, and pretty much ask as many questions as possible, theres pretty much no bad questions so dont feel embarrassed about asking a question you might feel is stupid or whatever because if you dont ask you'll never know. In general try and study at a minimum 10+ hours a week along with watching videos on run it once or whatever site you fancy although run it once is the best one. aside from that try and meet other mtt'ers whos game you respect and get them on skype and discuss spots with them aswell. Imo MTT's are all about the work you put into them and how you handle the swings and the days when nothing goes right.

Comment

Cheers guys, really appreciate the feedback so far. I am certainly going to look into all the points made here so far in the hope that it can sharpen my game.

Comment

Here is an email i received from probably the best Mtt online coach around which I don't mind sharing, it would be the best 50 bucks you could spend.

SPOILER

$50.00 To Sweat EVERY SINGLE HAND OF MY SCOOP - With Commentary!
              I am going to be doing a project this SCOOP season. I will be recording every single hand I play during SCOOP with commentary! If you would like to get a hold of these videos send $50.00 to one of the following:

Assassinato (Costa Rica) on Pokerstars

TheAssassinato, Panda, City Letter: S on Full Tilt

alexfitzgerald88@gmail.com on Paypal

fitzgerald_alex@yahoo.com on Skrill

Then write us at Assassinatocoaching@gmail.com with proof of your transfer details and you will receive downloadable videos as soon as they are available!

The events I will be playing will be pretty much every Hold'em event I can. That includes low stakes and high stakes. I am not coaching or writing during this time, as I expect to be playing most days

Note: It might take a few days to a week get a downloadable link for each video, due to the massive amount of video processing and uploading, but I will assure you this will be tens of hours if not a 100+ will be available to you at the end. Due to the massive nature of this project and the fact no one's really tried it before I ask you be patient with me. I might have to just publish the late runs immediately and later upload the earlier videos.

There is no deadline. Best of luck to all of you this SCOOP season. Let's crush it!

Alexander Fitzgerald

Consultant

For Scheduling An Appointment Please Visit:

http://meetme.so/alexanderfitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
                pretty much this, get PT4, flopzilla and icmizer and just go through spots that you've marked throughout the day, either before grinding or after, and pretty much ask as many questions as possible, theres pretty much no bad questions so dont feel embarrassed about asking a question you might feel is stupid or whatever because if you dont ask you'll never know. In general try and study at a minimum 10+ hours a week along with watching videos on run it once or whatever site you fancy although run it once is the best one. aside from that try and meet other mtt'ers whos game you respect and get them on skype and discuss spots with them aswell. Imo MTT's are all about the work you put into them and how you handle the swings and the days when nothing goes right.
                Alrite Chips, when you say study for 10 hours a week, what do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by OasisKid View Post
                  This is something that has improved my game dramatically and it has proven.
                  Replay your tourney's from the night before and pick up on your mistakes (we all have them), sign up to one of the coaching company's, I used P5's and watch videos from there, mainly Assasinato.
                  I also got a lot of help from friends by just discussing the game with them and having sweats. To get better at this game you have to put in the work off the felt.

Comment

Originally posted by OasisKid View Post
                    Originally posted by TheImprover View Post
                    This is something that has improved my game dramatically and it has proven.
                    Replay your tourney's from the night before and pick up on your mistakes (we all have them), sign up to one of the coaching company's, I used P5's and watch videos from there, mainly Assasinato.
                    I also got a lot of help from friends by just discussing the game with them and having sweats. To get better at this game you have to put in the work off the felt.
                    pretty much this yeah, its juts going over deep runs and final tables and hands ive marked throughout the day, also swap HH's with good players you know aswell and go over them too and discuss hands and keep looking for stuff they do better than you and try improve on it. use flopzilla and icmizer to also to make sure you making the correct calls and folds and make sure your defending your BB correctly etc obv its a bit more than that to it aswell. then just watch training videos aswell when ever you get a chance before grinding

getting coaching helps alot too if you have the money to do that obv do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X