Is Kildare Dublin not on TV?
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      Is Kildare Dublin not on TV?
      No it seems.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Local Supervalu are selling a wood pellet pizza oven with stone for €95.

How good could it be at that price?

Comment

My wife just called me from some hipster flea market in Brooklyn that our16 y/o has dragged her to. Sounds like hell.
          Definitely dodged a bullet there.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            Local Supervalu are selling a wood pellet pizza oven with stone for €95.

How good could it be at that price?
            Just going by facetube, your hole will be sore from feeding it pellets to maintain temps.

Its in there for so little time, 2-3 mins, the smoke has feck all to offer...go gas imo.
            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Just going by facetube, your hole will be sore from feeding it pellets to maintain temps.

Its in there for so little time, 2-3 mins, the smoke has feck all to offer...go gas imo.
              Yeah, I don't really see myself making enough pizzas to justify a spend. €95 though is a price point that allows for that.

Comment

Do you have to shite the pellets out of your hole then?

Comment

31c here today; volleyball was tough today!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    My wife just called me from some hipster flea market in Brooklyn that our16 y/o has dragged her to. Sounds like hell.
                    Definitely dodged a bullet there.
                    Mrs RD3 "Hi, having a great time. just need your advice on a purchase, we simply can't agree on whether to splash out on this antique mahogany wardrobe or a more modern one....honey?...hello ...you there?"
                    RD3 ..pulling the small door behind him under the stairs popping the 2014 and petting the faithful hound "yep! Life is good my furry friend, life is good"

Comment

I'm waiting until we hear from Collie. (you'll only get it if you've watched Atlanta)
                      SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

36% of your pension fund that you posted yesterday, is in the top ten stocks, including the Chinese Bank Construction Corp, the Indian version of that, and two different Samsung entities! The biggest holding is TSMC, so combined with the huge Chinese exposure, you are exposed to Chineses further growth, and their not invading Taiwan. If they do decide to, you can write most of that down to 0.

https://markets.ft.com/data/funds/te...0431992006:USD

I'd imagine coillcam is misremembering, and it's, the S&P500, as it's quite hard to invest in the S&P 100, the 500 is much more likely.

The last ten years of the Chinese S&P 500 are almost flat - https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/in...-500/#overview

Take that in ten years of extraordinary Chinese GDP growth, and the stock market has returned about 3.83% Annualized

Compare that to the US S&P 500, which has returned around 14% (typically around 11%)

It's pretty misleading to say your fate relies on four tech stocks; that's not how indices work. It's famously hard to beat the S&P500; even Warren Buffet, the world's most famous investor, has now underperformed the index over the last 20 years.

50% is invested in that fund. 50% is in another fund, also posted. So its 18% in ten stocks vs 30% in four stocks. It's 11% in the top four stocks, assuming there's no overlap with the other fund (which there might be).

The point about Chinese returns is a fairly fundamental flaw if you mean it in relation to my own investments. I already have massive indirect exposure to the healthiness of the Western economy through my state pension - doubling down on that by further investing in Western companies would be deeply flawed.

Even for coillcam it makes no sense. A sizeable amount already, and likely an increasing amount of US companies, are going to be decoupled from Asian and African growth over the next few decades, and these are the places that will become the world's dominant collective economies. At the very least the investment should be in a world index rather than a US index.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                          I'm waiting until we hear from Collie. (you'll only get it if you've watched Atlanta)
                          SPOILER
                          Haven't seen Atlanta, so no clue what you are referring to there.

Any hoo Soft Cell were terribad. You'd be embarrassed for a friend singing that badly in a Karaoke bar. Had to leave after 3 songs as it was just painful to listen to. Thankfully Heaven 17 and OMD were in top form, and OMD really put on a show. Sophie Ellis Bextor was fine too.

Beautiful day for it. Beers a reasonable €7.50. Sound was excellent (excluding Marc Almond's out of tune warbling). Thanks RD3 for the tickies!
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Glad it worked out CC, the support acts did sound good but I was a bit perturbed on your behalf when I heard the racket later in the evening.

Hoping to get some better garden listening out of Liinel Richie this evening.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Re pensions: Isn’t the general expert advice to go risky when you are young and gradually diversify until you are pretty much at the lowest risk level by pension age?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

50% is invested in that fund. 50% is in another fund, also posted. So its 18% in ten stocks vs 30% in four stocks. It's 11% in the top four stocks, assuming there's no overlap with the other fund (which there might be).
                                  I can't believe you haven't even checked what's in your other fund!

As for your otherassertions, they are just crazy. There's one place on earth is the centre of innovation and commerce and the rule of law to allow investors to benefit from all that, and that's the US. China has a small amount of innovation, but they also like disappearing CEOs, changing the rules willy nilly and it's technically impossible for foreigners to invest directly in their stock market, there's a complicated system that leaves foreign investors at the whim of their dictator.

As for Asia and Africa, it's very unlikely they will overcome their structural difficulties in the next 20 years. Can you imagine an African open ai? I can't.

A world ETF is not a bad shout, mainly because it is already 40% a us etf.

​​​​​​Putting ten or twenty percent of your funds into emerging markets could be a sensible gamble, putting your whole pension in is pretty silly. For it to be a good idea you have to ignore all the available track records.

​​​​​​​In your cause if your public pension is in Irish and European stock markets, diversifying should mean entering the us market.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                    Glad it worked out CC, the support acts did sound good but I was a bit perturbed on your behalf when I heard the racket later in the evening.

Hoping to get some better garden listening out of Liinel Richie this evening.
                                    His support act The Human League are almost certain to outshine Lino

What-do-Bonny-Tiler-and-Lino-Richie-have-in-common.jpg

Comment

Marc Almond could never really sing anyway , his vibe was his gay 80s in your face homo erotica . .( i presume the horse jip was a silly rumour ) Tainted love itself was a cover , hated the bloomin song but wave goodbye was superb. Can only imagine how horrible the gug would be. Jaysus the Pet Shop boys xooning also....what have I done to deserve it...

Comment

One for the golf fans here but Tom McKibben won the DP Tour event today. He's also from Hollywood golf club, the same club as Rory who is the overnight leader in the Memorial tournament in the US.
                                        Would be some result for the club and probably history making if Rory can win today as well and the one small club in the North will have produced the winner of two tournaments in the world's two biggest tours on the one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                          Hustler running a minimum 1 million buy-in cash game all weekend and for the next couple of nights. The lineups have been piss poor with mostly a bunch of wealthy fish punting against each other. A real wtf was Aussie Matt showing up in the game yesterday after not having been seen around poker for years. Tony G also appeared in the game and Rampage made him proud last night showing his heart and commitment to the game!
                                          Wow, what a difference when you throw a few top pros in the game. The last night of this is probably the best cash game since HSP.

The table banter from around 7:50:00 to 8:15:00 in the live stream is very good. The comments section on the stream has links to all the big hands. A couple of the sickest hands from the stream below.

Comment

Wow, what a difference when you throw a few top pros in the game. The last night of this is probably the best cash game since HSP.

The table banter from around 7:50:00 to 8:15:00 in the live stream is very good. The comments section on the stream has links to all the big hands. A couple of the sickest hands from the stream below.

I saw the AA v AJ hand already. Polk was gas working out the 1 in 4 call frequency.

That Wesley/Dwan hand was so great. Seemed obvious he had the big pair when he called the 5 bet but with TD you never know.
                                            Dry board made it a real battle of wills here.

​​​​​I'm guessing he figured Wesley may have played the AA/KK a bit differently though given his comments on him hitting trips.... he did mention he could have the AA.

Exciting hand though especially with the added entertainment value of Doug Polk having to keep a poker face for the duration.

​​​​​​
                                            Last edited by dinekes; 04-06-23, 19:23.

Comment

Are there any uk post forwarding services about since parcel motel shut? Insee address pal but it doesn't go through NI so there'd be duty etc
                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 04-06-23, 19:25.

Comment

Bloom was fantastic today, a real treat for a Summer's day.

My only gripe was there were just far too many awesome food options.

Needs a vomitorium.

Comment

Amazing how many people had big hair 40 years ago.

Comment

Just came across Trailer Park Boys on Netflix How did I miss this...it's the funniest show I've seen in years!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                      Just came across Trailer Park Boys on Netflix How did I miss this...it's the funniest show I've seen in years!
                                                      I loved it. Though deffo going to wait at least a month before I give Netflix another dolla.

Comment

Still love Taylor Swift too. Just hoping Tim was being comedic this morning

Comment

Felt this was lovely. Was reading this sentence in the Irish Nimby Times:

Assuming planning hurdles are cleared, the turbines’ imposing presence will be obvious in an almost continuous line looking out to sea from Co Louth to Co Wexford, but perhaps most obviously on the coastline of southwest Connemara, at Sceirde Rocks.

At that location there are likely to be up to 30 turbines reaching more than 300 metres – as tall as the Eiffel Tower – with the nearest just 5km from shore, part of a 450-megawatt development capable of powering 350,000 homes and costing up to €2 billion.

And, in classic Father Ted mode I was there thinking - but clearly something that is tall when viewed from far away does not actually look tall at all? But am lacking in specific knowledge to fully be able to understand this. Enter ChatGPT:

Question: Lets say you were to observe the Eiffel Tower (300 metres tall) from about 5 kilometres away. How big would it look? As in, is there any way of describing the height of something when you are looking at it from a distance away?

Of the answer, only the first paragraph and the last paragraph are really worth reading. The rest of freaky maths.

Answer:

[It suggested a formula first and then offered to calculate it. The following is the answer].

There's a concept in vision science called visual angle or angular size, which describes how large an object appears to an observer. It's typically measured in degrees, minutes, or seconds of arc, and it depends on both the actual size of the object and the distance to the object.

First, we need to calculate the value inside the atan function. That's (0.3 km / 2) / 5 km = 0.03.

Then we need to calculate 2 * atan(0.03), and convert the result from radians to degrees. In radians, the result is approximately 0.05996 radians.

Finally, we convert this to degrees by multiplying by (180/pi), which is approximately 57.3 degrees per radian.

0.05996 radians * 57.3 degrees/radian ≈ 3.43 degrees

So, when viewed from a distance of 5 kilometers, the Eiffel Tower would appear to be about 3.43 degrees tall.

To put this into perspective, your clenched fist held at arm's length is roughly 10 degrees wide, so the Eiffel Tower would appear to be about one third the height of your clenched fist at this distance.

Isn't that genuinely beautiful though? That analogy at the end - swoon!!!

Comment

Really not sure theres any other way of getting so great an answer outside of pure hard-earned knowledge.

Comment

Edit That's weird, looked like it hadn't posted so sent it again

Last edited by dinekes; 04-06-23, 21:56.

Comment

Really not sure theres any other way of getting so great an answer outside of pure hard-earned knowledge.
                                                                Maybe just ask a drunkard at a bar to bullshit you? Not going to look at those numbers, but doubt they'll make any more sense to me tomorrow when I'll be sober.

Comment

With the version you have can you link, or c&p an online scientific article and ask it to explain in layman's?

I've tried with the version I have access to and it can't. Text is too long.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Maybe just ask a drunkard at a bar to bullshit you? Not going to look at those numbers, but doubt they'll make any more sense to me tomorrow when I'll be sober for a few hours
                                                                    I'd say they're spot-on. In the earlier part of the chat they gave the formula, a seemingly quite well-known 'visual angle' formula, and its fairly straightforward.

Comment

With the version you have can you link, or c&p an online scientific article and ask it to explain in layman's?

I've tried with the version I have access to and it can't. Text is too long.
                                                                      You can, yeah. There's a plug-in that allows that. Thats the version that costs €20 a month.

It seems you can also link to the specific chat also: https://chat.openai.com/share/197121...c-2bde4e134c6e

Edit: ignore the beginning part of that conversation. I was trying to work out what the capacity of the new Ireland-France electricity interconnector meant in words that I could understand. I really need to get a life.

Interesting thing with that link though - anyone can then choose to continue the conversation started in the thread.

Comment

Bloom was fantastic today, a real treat for a Summer's day.

My only gripe was there were just far too many awesome food options.

Needs a vomitorium.
                                                                        Those postcard gardens were lovely. But - and maybe I was frazzled with the hyper-active kid in tow - couldn't see the big gardens anywhere. Was expecting rows and rows of big garden plots.

Comment

Great quote from Winston Churchill :

"Public opinion is formed and expressed by machinery. The newspapers do an immense amount of thinking for the average man and woman. In fact they supply them with such a continuous stream of standardized opinion, borne along upon an equally inexhaustible flood of news and sensation, collected from every part of the world every hour of the day, that there is neither the need nor the leisure for personal reflection. All this is but a part of a tremendous educating process. But it is an education which passes in at one ear and out at the other. It is an education at once universal and superficial. It produces enormous numbers of standardized citizens, all equipped with regulation opinions, prejudices and sentiments, according to their class or party. It may eventually lead to a reasonable, urbane and highly serviceable society. It may draw in its wake a mass culture enjoyed by countless millions to whom such pleasures were formerly unknown. We must not forget the enormous circulations at cheap prices of the greatest books of the world, which is a feature of modern life in civilized countries, and nowhere more than in the United States. But this great diffusion of knowledge, information and light reading of all kinds may, while it opens new pleasures to humanity and appreciably raises the general level of intelligence, be destructive of those conditions of personal stress and mental effort to which the masterpieces of the human mind are due"

I think it's quite telling how much he seems to be talking about social media - we blame social media for a lot of what is really just the human condition.

I came across it in this excellent book review - https://astralcodexten.substack.com/...m_medium=email

Comment

Gimmeabreak Strewelpeter

QQ ..Backed a horse in the morning in-store at even money. 2nd fav gets taken out subsequent to my bet, New market has mine @4/6 ..drifts before the off but horse wins @ 6/5, I Shirley get paid @6/5 no?
                                                                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                              Great quote from Winston Churchill :
                                                                              I think it's quite telling how much he seems to be talking about social media - we blame social media for a lot of what is really just the human condition.
                                                                              Noam Chomsky has a really good book all about this topic called Manufacturing Consent. There is a good accompanying documentary of the same name.

Comment

Never noticed that Quints boat was called "Orca" which are known to hunt sharks

Had noticed that when Chief Brody was flicking through a book on sharks it lingers for a half second on a picture of Jaws with the the SCUBA tank in his mouth
                                                                                I'm a real draw at the bar in the golf club

"Here's to swimmin with bow legged wimmin'

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

I saw the AA v AJ hand already. Polk was gas working out the 1 in 4 call frequency.

That Wesley/Dwan hand was so great. Seemed obvious he had the big pair when he called the 5 bet but with TD you never know.
                                                                                  Dry board made it a real battle of wills here.

​​​​​I'm guessing he figured Wesley may have played the AA/KK a bit differently though given his comments on him hitting trips.... he did mention he could have the AA.

Exciting hand though especially with the added entertainment value of Doug Polk having to keep a poker face for the duration.
                                                                                  ​​​​​​
                                                                                  I think Wesley played the hand well. I think the machine probably likes his line although maybe with slightly different sizing so he can bet bigger in relation to the pot on the river so Tom doesn't get such a good price. Maybe AK without a diamond is a better 3 street bluff but defo combos of AK have to make up many of the bluffs. I doubt Tom is supposed to call at full frequency.

Wesley got so lucky as a couple of hands after he rockets off against Tom taking the exact same line again 5 betting A7 this time against Hank. Hank flatted QQ and proceeded to call down 3 barrels from Wesley only this time he turned trip 7's. That pot was another 2m+ pot.

Haralabous table talk during the time stamps I mentioned is so great.
                                                                                  Last edited by Opr; 04-06-23, 22:29.

Comment

Felt this was lovely. Was reading this sentence in the Irish Nimby Times:

And, in classic Father Ted mode I was there thinking - but clearly something that is tall when viewed from far away does not actually look tall at all? But am lacking in specific knowledge to fully be able to understand this. Enter ChatGPT:
                                                                                    I am just back from Holland. I had a window seat on the way home and it was such a beautiful clear day that you could see the huge windfarm off the coast very clearly flying over it leaving. It is a pretty spectacular sight. Google tells me it is the world's largest completed in 2020 with 150 turbines.

Comment

I think Wesley played the hand well. I think the machine probably likes his line although maybe with slightly different sizing so he can bet bigger in relation to the pot on the river so Tom doesn't get such a good price. Maybe AK without a diamond is a better 3 street bluff but defo combos of AK have to make up many of the bluffs. I doubt Tom is supposed to call at full frequency.

Wesley got so lucky as a couple of hands after he rockets off against Tom taking the exact same line again 5 betting A7 this time against Hank. Hank flatted QQ and proceeded to call down 3 barrels from Wesley only this time he turned trip 7's. That pot was another 2m+ pot.

Haralabous table talk during the time stamps I mentioned is so great.
                                                                                      So much depends on table dynamics and how they are perceiving each other.

The huge money involved must add to the pressure. I would guess that TD would have backers but don't know anything about Wesley.

I was thinking that too about the bet sizing but it's complicated with such a dry board..You get this polarised dynamic and not sure the size makes a huge difference to TD (would need to have a good think about it but slightly inebriated)
                                                                                      I know he struggled with the decision but a lot of that could be for the camera and also a bit of advertising to.show he could be possibly bluffed.

​​​​​

Comment

Those postcard gardens were lovely. But - and maybe I was frazzled with the hyper-active kid in tow - couldn't see the big gardens anywhere. Was expecting rows and rows of big garden plots.
                                                                                        The ones I saw, about 20 or so, were all roughly the size of a semi D back garden. Was the Charlie and The Choc Factory garden part of the bunch you saw?

Some really fantastic gardens. Highlight for me the natural forest one, with the giant chill out birds nest. Blown away by that.

Comment

lol, this is some cool stand up, zany bastard...

Comment

Googling him this morning and see he won Britain's Got Talent last night.

Comment

Googling him this morning and see he won Britain's Got Talent last night.
                                                                                              Done the London circuit for a few years
                                                                                              got his big break last night

Comment

The game is afoot in Ukraine, hopefully it can be a decisive victory for Ukraine.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

She was insured under my own car that lapsed in April on her 18th birthday
                                                                                                  Bought her an 11 mazda 1.3 last year which I'm also insured on which runs out in August. I rang before she turned 18 for a quote which was 1k ffs for 5 months so didn't take it. Rang back when she turned 18 was 400 euro.
                                                                                                  Think going forward I'll just leave her as a name driver for now on mazda. Supervalu insurance.
                                                                                                  Congrats btw also. Whats story with yourselves and insurance?
                                                                                                  I bought a 221 Skoda Fabia for myself. She got my auld 08 Corolla which is in great shape for having 340k on it. I kept her as a named driver on the Corolla. Going to work out at about €1300 extra for the year. You can be insured on two cars in Ireland but you can only use your no claims bonus on one. So I had to insure the Fabia without any no caims. Was grand. €650 full comp.
                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Was at a humanist wedding on Saturday. Outdoor ceremony all done reasonably quickly (thankfully as we were melting) Nice vows where they said 3 things they like about each other and one thing to improve on.
                                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

One should only marry for tax purposes. Not joking either.
                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

yes, assuming you get the benefit of Best Odds Guaranteed.
                                                                                                        Don't think so. I think they pay out at evens with a rule four because a new market applies. They'll try to anyway you can be guaranteed of that.

Edit maybe your right 6/5 bog with a rule 4
                                                                                                        Last edited by limpwhacker; 05-06-23, 17:04.

Comment

ah lads

Comment

Left the house at 5:30am, on the DLR train in London by 8:30am. I'm far too excited about how efficient this new route is.

Although not as excited by that as I am by the Apple VR headset launching later today. It could be the big big thing that VR needs. Let's wait and see what is actually delivered, but if it's actually good unlike the Meta mess it could change everything in terms of things like entertainment, fitness, meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                              Are there any uk post forwarding services about since parcel motel shut? Insee address pal but it doesn't go through NI so there'd be duty etc
                                                                                                              Deliverme.ie

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

Don't think so. I think they pay out at evens with a rule four because a new market applies. They'll try to anyway you can be guaranteed of that.

Edit maybe your right 6/5 bog with a rule 4
                                                                                                                If a new market was formed he gets SP at the new odds .

Comment

Talking to the kids on Sunday and it turns out they are now taught BCE / CE instead of BC / AD. When did that happen, or is it widespread? Presuming its widespread as it would have been the guest English teacher from the local Irish school that would have taught them that, given they learned something different in the French language. That seems like a huge change - the very fabric of our understanding of time changing.

Comment

Left the house at 5:30am, on the DLR train in London by 8:30am. I'm far too excited about how efficient this new route is.
                                                                                                                    Best of luck when the weather isn't so good and the whole LCY schedule gets thrown out for the day.

Aer Lingus to LHR and then jump on the newly opened Elizabeth Line across the city is the pro move. ~40 mins from LHR to Liverpool Street.

Comment

BBC's Once upon a time in Northern Ireland is an incredible piece of work.

Comment

Inter are well priced to beat what looked like a tiring City the weekend . Powers going 6s but better to be found.

Comment

Randomly bumped into this dude on a quiet street and the Mrs insisted that I fanboy it up.

IMG-20230605-WA0013.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X