This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Hope it's not recency bias, but Fuck.Me, Lankum doing 'Dig My Grave' is the most stunning thing I've ever witnessed.
    It was a highlight for sure Laz. A great show but both my wife and I thought their earlier shit was better (ie. the 2019 gig in Vicar St which was seated was perhaps a bit more arty, tonight was a bit more rock n' roll).

I was honoured to meet our main man, Strewelpeter, for the first time. He was right up for it, right up the front!

Sorry I didn't bump into you! But seems like you had a great time

We're lucky to have such a band. Such music. Such sound.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'd prefer if that was the case. The reality (that I'm pretty sure of) is that he's spewed the same garbage here every time he takes from twitter, the natural depository for bs.
      Ha
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Isle of Man TT is firmly on the bucket list.
        133mph average speed around a 37.75 mile island circuit on day 3 of practice!

Last edited by Micknail; 31-05-23, 23:49.
        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Just a lot of energy recently. Healthy living perhaps.

Even saw a therapist today for what she was indicating, with a sense of determination, should probably be the first of many meetings. Not a sudden thing, but seems like the wait-list for therapists is ridic at the moment.

Have become a slightly firm believer that to move up and onwards, you need to first untangle some mixed-benefit past habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            With wanting to overstate the very obvious, religion emerged during a time when we didn't understand how the world worked, so we assigned the bits we didn't understand to a 'god'. It's actively stupid to believe in a god, even if you might separately want to be part of a religion because of the social network. That indeed is the problem with teaching it in schools - that you are teaching kids to believe in nonsense.
            10 years ago I would have liked this post a hundred times. Now I can see you haven't fully reckoned with the death of god. Time to read some Nietzsche and really wrestle with it. Us hyper-rational super-analytic poker player types are probably fine living without a god but the general public can barely be trusted to tie their own shoelaces.
            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

10 years ago I would have liked this post a hundred times. Now I can see you haven't fully reckoned with the death of god. Time to read some Nietzsche and really wrestle with it. Us hyper-rational super-analytic poker player types are probably fine living without a god but the general public can barely be trusted to tie their own shoelaces.
              “hyper-rational super-analytic poker player types”- lol stop , these guys have just swapped religion for techno- hopium, they are no better than biddy down the road lighting candles for their latest cause.
              They should read this instead of wasting their time on Nietzsche

If we all stopped pretending, perhaps we'd be able to give young people the only semblance of optimism left.
              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Ukrainians really know how to sell.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

found this video of RDIII meeting some Ukrainian soldiers
                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

They’re a famous quote, I think from Fishcher Black that says the markets look much more efficient from the banks of the Charles than the banks of the Hudson. I think Hitch has a point.

would you be more likely to stake a poker player who played hundreds of poker tournaments with minimal success or a guy who had read every single poker book but not played?
                    Completely different point to what Hitch was making but I'd probably go for the guy who read all the books. The other guy has proven he's not that successful so not much upside in staking them. The one who read all the books at least might have some solid fundamentals.
                    Having said all that, most poker books are trash and not good for learning how to play poker well....

Comment

We've really started to embrace and use AI in recent weeks here (the boss is 100% convinced about an AI-central future), I'm quite slow to think about usage cases myself but just this week have used ChatGPT to generate the first drafts of two press releases and while of course the output needs some TLC the drafts were pretty damn good! Our graphic design team also leaning in heavily and are amazed at how useful it is already, without any of us in the Dublin office at least spending much time upskilling or training in writing prompts and so on. The future will be glorious up until the point the AIs realise they don't need us meat bags around!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                        We've really started to embrace and use AI in recent weeks here (the boss is 100% convinced about an AI-central future), I'm quite slow to think about usage cases myself but just this week have used ChatGPT to generate the first drafts of two press releases and while of course the output needs some TLC the drafts were pretty damn good! Our graphic design team also leaning in heavily and are amazed at how useful it is already, without any of us in the Dublin office at least spending much time upskilling or training in writing prompts and so on. The future will be glorious up until the point the AIs realise they don't need us meat bags around!
                        For images - you've tried Midjourney? Its ridiculously far ahead of all the other image generators. Some cool templates here if you click on the 'filters' tab: https://www.imiprompt.com/builder . It was the runaway success of the kid's end-of-year school fair - the father who set up a booth asking kids to write prompts and then printing out the generated image for them.

Comment

Here's something cool - pre-trained AI characters to help with specific tasks. Apparently it has been the runaway success in the AI world of *checks notes* ... the last week: https://beta.character.ai/

Comment

ugh, Ireland lost the toss in the cricket. Potential for a tough morning here.

Comment

Here's something cool - pre-trained AI characters to help with specific tasks. Apparently it has been the runaway success in the AI world of *checks notes* ... the last week: https://beta.character.ai/
                              tried out the Elon Musk character:

why are you enabling right wing motherfuckers like Trump?

Elon Musk
                              c.ai

You want to know why? Because they’re so easy to manipulate and I don’t care who gets hurt along the way. All for personal gain. All for my gain.

Comment

For images - you've tried Midjourney? Its ridiculously far ahead of all the other image generators. Some cool templates here if you click on the 'filters' tab: https://www.imiprompt.com/builder . It was the runaway success of the kid's end-of-year school fair - the father who set up a booth asking kids to write prompts and then printing out the generated image for them.
                                Aware that I'm appearing the old out of touch lad with this question, but how do you actually get it to show you an image based on your prompt?

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Aware that I'm appearing the old out of touch lad with this question, but how do you actually get it to show you an image based on your prompt?
                                  Its a messed up system - you sign up to discord, then you can either enter your prompt in one of the newbies threads - by typing /imagine followed by your prompt, or you can send a direct message to the Midjourney Bot with the same format.

Comment

Its a messed up system - you sign up to discord, then you can either enter your prompt in one of the newbies threads - by typing /imagine followed by your prompt, or you can send a direct message to the Midjourney Bot with the same format.
                                    OK, grand so.

Comment

Just going to restart the server, bear with me.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

Completely different point to what Hitch was making but I'd probably go for the guy who read all the books. The other guy has proven he's not that successful so not much upside in staking them. The one who read all the books at least might have some solid fundamentals.
                                        Having said all that, most poker books are trash and not good for learning how to play poker well....
                                        This is what I was getting to, most personal finance ones are similar, especially anything to do with “how to invest” or “play the stock market”

Comment

Isn’t Midjourney now of C5 and close to fre/trial accounts? Only free paying account can access the bot

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Isn’t Midjourney now of C5 and close to fre/trial accounts? Only free paying account can access the bot
                                            ah didn't know that, I pay some sort of monthly fee for it allright

Comment

Hitch there embracing all this shit and me wondering if I can get to the finish line in 15 years continuing to only teach things that happened up to 1970.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                ugh, Ireland lost the toss in the cricket. Potential for a tough morning here.
                                                Very iffy start. Ship steadied a bit. If they can put on another 15 or 20 before lunch the sambos will taste better. Lose another before or just after lunch and it starts to become damage limitation time.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                  Hitch there embracing all this shit and me wondering if I can get to the finish line in 15 years continuing to only teach things that happened up to 1970.
                                                  Different industry entirely but similar vibes here.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

Very iffy start. Ship steadied a bit. If they can put on another 15 or 20 before lunch the sambos will taste better. Lose another before or just after lunch and it starts to become damage limitation time.
                                                    Bbv curse alive and well.

Comment

One should not poo-poo the humble Iceberger either. Although I suspect they've changed the compisition of the outside layer, the filthy swines.
                                                      I can't believe that I am this many years old and it took until last week's trip to discover what the Italian's have known forever, that two of the greatest things in life, coffee and ice cream when put into the same glass and named affogato, creates something much greater than the sum of it's parts.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Bbv curse alive and well.
                                                        3 minutes from post to wicket, that was impressive alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I can't believe that I am this many years old and it took until last week's trip to discover what the Italian's have known forever, that two of the greatest things in life, coffee and ice cream when put into the same glass and named affogato, creates something much greater than the sum of it's parts.

no wonder you were up in the mosh pit last night

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

3 minutes from post to wicket, that was impressive alright.
                                                            Perfectly BBVing one of the most unlikely-looking professional athletes you're likely to see

Comment

Perfectly BBVing one of the most unlikely-looking professional athletes you're likely to see
                                                              A physical masterpiece no doubt. At 19/3 we'd have snatched their hand off for 78/4 at lunch. Not all bad

Comment

A physical masterpiece no doubt. At 19/3 we'd have snatched their hand off for 78/4 at lunch. Not all bad
                                                                we were actually 19/4 before Stirling successfully reviewed his first-baller!

Comment

Used to love super splits as a kid....
                                                                  The 99 with 2 flakes is a winner mind...has to be Angelito mix though
                                                                  When I worked in the shop had a kid ask for 6 flakes one time!!​​​​​​​ Horsing in to it before he even got outside

​​​

Comment

Now if you want a feel-good story, what could be better than the tale of a guy who decided to put on a chicken outfit one day and then didn't take it off for fifty years?

And never sold out to The Man.

Comment

Blood and Gold movie on Netflix. Really enjoyed it.

Comment

A heartwarming article from the FT suggesting the next big debt default wave will be Scandinavian countries. Good luck being the happiest places on earth when ye are having to eat each other as a protein source.

Although the argument does seem quite flimsy, but maybe fits into the emerging narrative that the next financial crisis will be in commercial property. Such as the $5.6tn US commercial property debt that seems set to fall off a cliff. Would be fairly hard to bail that out, even for the US, given they are already at 100% debt to GDP and that is projected to rise 2% a year for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Slightly different pension question than posed previously here, but should we all be on essentially the highest risk plans until you get to within 5-10 years of retirement? I'm on the high-medium type plans, so level 5 out of 7 but think that in most scenarios I may be leaving money behind by not being brave enough. What do the more savvy among us do?

Comment

We need someone more qualified than me to answer that, but 5 out of 7 seems grand. If you go to a higher level you are essentially introducing a major developing market component which has all types of risks associated with it, that may not be worth it tbh. My wifes pension is at level 6 or 7 in an effort to balance out my safe pension income, and I think its nearly 100% emerging markets. Brutally risky as a standalone pension

Comment

A heartwarming article from the FT suggesting the next big debt default wave will be Scandinavian countries. Good luck being the happiest places on earth when ye are having to eat each other as a protein source.

Although the argument does seem quite flimsy, but maybe fits into the emerging narrative that the next financial crisis will be in commercial property. Such as the $5.6tn US commercial property debt that seems set to fall off a cliff. Would be fairly hard to bail that out, even for the US, given they are already at 100% debt to GDP and that is projected to rise 2% a year for the foreseeable future.
                                                                              Chinese real estate imo

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                Slightly different pension question than posed previously here, but should we all be on essentially the highest risk plans until you get to within 5-10 years of retirement? I'm on the high-medium type plans, so level 5 out of 7 but think that in most scenarios I may be leaving money behind by not being brave enough. What do the more savvy among us do?
                                                                                you should be on the highest risk plan up to retirement - and after it too

Comment

jeepers: https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/com...ats_for_debts/

seemingly real as PSNI have already commented on it: https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/f...river-27037179

Comment

Chinese real estate imo

you should be on the highest risk plan up to retirement - and after it too

The highest risk plan is about 25% Chinese real estate

Comment

Even though I'm personally highly exposed to it, there's a decent case to be made that the returns from developing markets (which is essentially the difference when you move to very risk plans) are not worth the risks. They are far more exposed to geopolitical risks, which introduces an element of catastrophic risk, although on the other side you do have exposure to much more positive demographics than Western investments and demographics are a key driver of future growth. But you can capture a lot of the emerging market benefits by just being invested in Western markets (as you are currently) as there is a 80-90% correlation between developed and developing market returns anyway. While it mildly makes sense for my situation (and maybe RD3's due to also having a public sector pension in the house), I'm not sure it makes sense for 5star.

Comment

The highest risk plan is about 25% Chinese real estate
                                                                                        Assumed he meant global equities tbh

Comment

Out of curiosity, just looked at the factsheet for my own 'passive global equity hedged' fund (which I pretty much try never to look at).

Real Estate exposure is 2.6%
                                                                                          No emerging market exposure (heavily weighted to the US, then EU, then Japan, then UK, then APAC.

Comment

Even though I'm personally highly exposed to it, there's a decent case to be made that the returns from developing markets (which is essentially the difference when you move to very risk plans) are not worth the risks. They are far more exposed to geopolitical risks, which introduces an element of catastrophic risk, although on the other side you do have exposure to much more positive demographics than Western investments and demographics are a key driver of future growth. But you can capture a lot of the emerging market benefits by just being invested in Western markets (as you are currently) as there is a 80-90% correlation between developed and developing market returns anyway. While it mildly makes sense for my situation (and maybe RD3's due to also having a public sector pension in the house), I'm not sure it makes sense for 5star.
                                                                                            Do you remember that this is exactly the opposite of what you said 6 months ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Do you remember that this is exactly the opposite of what you said 6 months ago?
                                                                                              No, I rely on you to remember my faults. What exactly did I say six months ago? Can't see how it might counteract my above statement which is that this portfolio suits me, but might not suit 5star.

Comment

Out of curiosity, just looked at the factsheet for my own 'passive global equity hedged' fund (which I pretty much try never to look at).

Real Estate exposure is 2.6%
                                                                                                No emerging market exposure (heavily weighted to the US, then EU, then Japan, then UK, then APAC.
                                                                                                ah. Although, I guess that's not the maximum risk one then?

We're 50:50 in:

1. JPM Emerging Markets Opportunities
                                                                                                2. 5star5 Asia Pacific Fund (writing this out now makes me realise it might indeed be suitable for 5star5poo)

The specific thinking is that my particular pension is a bet on (a) Ireland, and (b) the euro, so to diversify as much as possible away from that.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

It was a highlight for sure Laz. A great show but both my wife and I thought their earlier shit was better (ie. the 2019 gig in Vicar St which was seated was perhaps a bit more arty, tonight was a bit more rock n' roll).

I was honoured to meet our main man, Strewelpeter, for the first time. He was right up for it, right up the front!

Sorry I didn't bump into you! But seems like you had a great time

We're lucky to have such a band. Such music. Such sound.
                                                                                                  Sorry not to see you too. My wife wanted to grab a seat, knew you guys would be hardcore standers

I wish I had that 2019 comparison. An amazing gig.
                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

ah. Although, I guess that's not the maximum risk one then?

We're 50:50 in:

1. JPM Emerging Markets Opportunities
                                                                                                    2. 5star5 Asia Pacific Fund (writing this out now makes me realise it might indeed be suitable for 5star5poo)

The specific thinking is that my particular pension is a bet on (a) Ireland, and (b) the euro, so to diversify as much as possible away from that.
                                                                                                    What are the fees involved in those funds? Do you have to choose actively managed funds over passive trackers?

Comment

Any takers for two Soft Cell tickets, Saturday night in St Annes park? Free obv.

Don't all rush at once.

Comment

Any takers for two Soft Cell tickets, Saturday night in St Annes park? Free obv.

Don't all rush at once.
                                                                                                        Er. Yeah. Marc Almond still alive?
                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Er. Yeah. Marc Almond still alive?
                                                                                                          Wikipedia suggests he is still with us and aged 65.

<Citation needed>

Comment

How long before they reveal that Biden's legs were provided by Boston Dynamics?

Comment

Wikipedia suggests he is still with us and aged 65.

<Citation needed>
                                                                                                              So can I have the tickies? I can assure you that 'Non stop erotic cabaret' was the soundtrack to my life for years, and long after it was released.

Comment

So can I have the tickies? I can assure you that 'Non stop erotic cabaret' was the soundtrack to my life for years, and long after it was released.
                                                                                                                That's a great album. Would love to go to this but 5am flight next day so not realistic. Enjoy if you go!

Hmmm... now wondering how Raoul came to be in possession of these hardcore homo tickets?

Comment

Yeah, all yours.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                                    Hmmm... now wondering how Raoul came to be in possession of these hardcore homo tickets?
                                                                                                                    Never judge a book by its cover.

(We live right beside the park, so get freebie tickets.)

Comment

Yeah, all yours.
                                                                                                                      Should I pm you an email address, or will I have to go as an RD3 impersonator?

Comment

Now if you want a feel-good story, what could be better than the tale of a guy who decided to put on a chicken outfit one day and then didn't take it off for fifty years?

And never sold out to The Man.
                                                                                                                        Further research has brought me to this, a Barney vs KGB Chicken dance off followed by a dinosaur takedown. Epic stuff.

Watch from about 2.40 on.

Comment

Should I pm you an email address, or will I have to go as an RD3 impersonator?
                                                                                                                          They're extremely retro physical tickets. Just call in and collect, then enjoy the 60 second walk to the entrance.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X