Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was never a big linked in guy, but its become my main social media doom scrolling platform. I'm not entirely sure when it happened but I do find myself finding lots of interesting and thought provoking things amongst my feed.

It used to be grifters and business circle jerking but it seems people are genuinely putting effort into their content on their lately(?). Maybe I'm on crack.
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
      I was never a big linked in guy, but its become my main social media doom scrolling platform. I'm not entirely sure when it happened but I do find myself finding lots of interesting and thought provoking things amongst my feed.

It used to be grifters and business circle jerking but it seems people are genuinely putting effort into their content on their lately(?). Maybe I'm on crack.
      Yeah I love this stuff, lifestyles to aim for.

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

You live for the "I'm delighted to announce that I have received XYZ Certification" type messages, just admit it.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Yeah I love this stuff, lifestyles to aim for.

LOL yeah, I have found all this nonsense has disappeared from my feed though. People quoting and screehshotting their own Twitter posts is gone, Gary Vaynerchuk nonsense is gone, the stuff above you posted in gone.

Maybe their algo is getting better?

I still see Hitch and V4V from time to time though... so its clearly not perfect.

But no one can deny, that there is genuine shit, not the satire, very like the stuff you posted, is equal parts hilarious and kinda sad.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

In what context?
            Management company of the apartment block I am in had an AGM recently, and members voted to approve a levy for fire safety remediation project for the blocks.
            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Management company of the apartment block I am in had an AGM recently, and members voted to approve a levy for fire safety remediation project for the blocks.
              Would there be much hassle with some owners refusing to pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Would there be much hassle with some owners refusing to pay?
                I imagine there would be.... I would doubt all the owners would pay that.
                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Is there not a sinking fund to cover this type of expense?

Every management company should have one. Whether there is enough cash in it to cover the expense is another question but might be no harm to check.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Is there not a sinking fund to cover this type of expense?

Every management company should have one. Whether there is enough cash in it to cover the expense is another question but might be no harm to check.
                    Yep there is, but already been partly used, hence the levy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      First time flying in and out of London City Airport. It's going to be very very hard to flying into any other London airport in future, despite the extra expense. Weirdly they even land you back in a part of Dublin Airport I'd never seen before - a landing gate right beside passport control, rather than the usual 1km slog through the airport. Feel this knowledge is like unlocking a new superpower. Pls use it wisely.
                      For the last year or two before they shut down the route over covid times they used to depart and land at some sort of an outhouse that you had to get a bus to.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Mad coincidence with Tina Turner dying .
                        John Fogarty just played the 3 Arena last night - she gave Proud Mary a new life with her version

Comment

De Santis announcing his presidency at 11pm tonight on Twitter Spaces. I'm almost tempted to tune in.

Tuned into FoxNews website just to see how they are covering it - they are pushing him very hard - but seem to have gone with a rather bizarre angle of 'the left are going to try to take him out based on his race'
                          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 24-05-23, 19:57.
                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

De Santis announcing his presidency at 11pm tonight on Twitter Spaces. I'm almost tempted to tune in.

Tuned into FoxNews website just to see how they are covering it - they are pushing him very hard - but seem to have gone with a rather bizarre angle of 'the left are going to try to take him out based on his race'
                            Live with Musk apparently.

There's absolutely zero chance this could be a clusterfuck.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Yes indeed. It could be interesting, even if only for the worst possible reasons. He's then straight onto FoxNews, so he's not launching lightly.

Comment

This seems like it could blow up into a major story if it turns out to be true. He claims everyone across the healthcare system has access to a person's full medical history across all departments with no access restrictions.

So social work and counselors can access the medical files, while vice versa nursing, doctors, and pharmacy can access social work and counseling files.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                  This seems like it could blow up into a major story if it turns out to be true. He claims everyone across the healthcare system has access to a person's full medical history across all departments with no access restrictions.
                                  jesus.

Comment

Lucky I saw yer post with only 23 mins to go Hitch. I'm deffo tuning in...

Comment

If i am listening to the right thing then you are very right

Comment

I see that DeSantis has edged out to 3.8 from 3.65 after the failure of twitter to launch him

Comment

I see that DeSantis has edged out to 3.8 from 3.65 after the failure of twitter to launch him
                                          It happened later due to technical problems.

I listened to it, not much to mention really but he's pretty pro crypto, David Sachs had a few questions about bitcoin and Elon kept mentioning dogecoin.

There's a good short video on it here: https://youtu.be/slCdDOKSE2w

​​​​​​​It mentions how uncharismatic he is.

Comment

1.01 landed
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

If an idiot like me can see the probability of landing face first in a pile of steaming shite, then you really, really have to wonder at the judgement of DeS and his crew.

Still funny though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                It mentions how uncharismatic he is.
                                                He really is! He's like a truculent robot.

Comment

Charisma ? Not many US politicians have it. So many wooden blockheads . Geniuses abound in most other fields . It's surreal at times ,I can't believe in 2023 some of the backward thinking by a large portion of them

Comment

He really is! He's like a truculent robot.
                                                    I think Donnie eats him for dinner very easily if it’s a h2h

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I think Donnie eats him for dinner very easily if it’s a h2h
                                                      I wonder though if he might lean in to who he is. Maybe a bit alluded to in the video HJ posted. That he portrays himself as the non-charismatic person who just gets things done. That then fits with the internet persona, and attracting the facebook racist grandmas etc, plus a base that he is used to charming in Florida. Its only the few TV debates where charm really matters and people have all heard the Trump-schtick before. I'm actually tempted to go a bit deeper on the De Santis bet. Not convinced his nomination is really a 4 event, but rather than people are overvaluing the smallish contribution of Trump speeches, and not valuing enough the ability of De Santis to intelligently target key racist groups.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                        ionapaul ...While you're in the neighbourhood...any plans to ever add draw and stud games at GG?
                                                        I've a feeling I forgot to answer this, from back on May 12! So we're always looking into new games to add, but unless we feel there is a big market for them, it's very hard to justify the effort - I do think we probably will add these and more variants of poker in the relatively near future, so that we can offer mixed-game tournaments when required.

Comment

Is it not likely that to win the Rep nomination, DeSantis will have to lean so far right and make numerous hostage-to-fortune promises and statements, that he'd subsequently find it extra hard to pivot back to the centre for the actual presidential election and win enough of the middle ground to beat Biden or whichever Dem he's up against? I feel like Trump can say what he likes, be totally outrageous but enough people wave that away and would still vote for him, that he still has a great shot at winning the national election, but DeSantis will suffer with those very same people if he says equally OTT stuff. Trump's status as a lying blowhard probably benefits him, allowing him to say mad shit and get away with it as 'that's just Trump saying Trump stuff'!

Comment

Trump seems to have gone full-scale bonkers, in fairness to him. This was his apparent reaction to De Santis launching.

Not sure that is fully showing. The text, FWIW is: "Rob,' My Red Button is bigger, better, stronger, and is working (TRUTH!), yours does not! (per my conversation with Kim Jung Un, of North Korea, soon to become my friend!),"

Comment

Is he still not allowed on Twitter?

Comment

Trump seems to have gone full-scale bonkers, in fairness to him. This was his apparent reaction to De Santis launching.

Not sure that is fully showing. The text, FWIW is: "Rob,' My Red Button is bigger, better, stronger, and is working (TRUTH!), yours does not! (per my conversation with Kim Jung Un, of North Korea, soon to become my friend!),"
                                                                Fairly standard DJT stuff I would have thought.

All part of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                  Is he still not allowed on Twitter?
                                                                  He's allowed back but hasn't gone back, he has his own social network now called Truth central which he posts on, if he went back to twitter it would have very little reason to exist and he'd end up being sued/pissing off his base

Comment

I think Biden would have a hard time against De Santis, he's too old and too unpopular, and the far right unpopular stuff is pretty much a wash against the far left unpopular stuff Biden can be accused of. Santos can accuse Biden of trying to ruin sports and turn all kids into drag queens and it's hard for Biden to defend himself without pissing off the progressive side of the Dems.

That said I think trump handily beats Santos as long as he stays out of jail.

Comment

I wonder though if he might lean in to who he is. Maybe a bit alluded to in the video HJ posted. That he portrays himself as the non-charismatic person who just gets things done. That then fits with the internet persona, and attracting the facebook racist grandmas etc, plus a base that he is used to charming in Florida. Its only the few TV debates where charm really matters and people have all heard the Trump-schtick before. I'm actually tempted to go a bit deeper on the De Santis bet. Not convinced his nomination is really a 4 event, but rather than people are overvaluing the smallish contribution of Trump speeches, and not valuing enough the ability of De Santis to intelligently target key racist groups.
                                                                      di Santis is dead in the water unless something happens Trump.

Comment

Speaking of presidential candidates, here's a real one speaking in 2015 and predicting with extreme accuracy just what Putin wanted (and still wants).

Comment

Anyone watch the finale of Survivor Season 44 yet?
                                                                          Title is "Absolute Banger Season"
                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                            Anyone watch the finale of Survivor Season 44 yet?
                                                                            Title is "Absolute Banger Season"
                                                                            already the finale? wow that was quick. not watched the last episode yet

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

already the finale? wow that was quick. not watched the last episode yet
                                                                              I think next season will have longer episodes and maybe season length.
                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Today's gonna be the first day since our solar panel install that we generate over 40kWh So far this month we've generated 652 kWh in total, and only used 236 kWh (split into 159 kWh of our own generation used, and 77 purchased from the grid); so 493 kWh sent back to the national grid at a rate of 24c per kWh, SSE Airtricity will owe me €118 for that. Minus the €25 I owe them for the 77 kWh purchased I guess. Thus the long, slow process of the solar paying for itself kicks into gear! I assume the rest of us with solar PV systems are seeing equal lovely numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                  Today's gonna be the first day since our solar panel install that we generate over 40kWh So far this month we've generated 652 kWh in total, and only used 236 kWh (split into 159 kWh of our own generation used, and 77 purchased from the grid); so 493 kWh sent back to the national grid at a rate of 24c per kWh, SSE Airtricity will owe me €118 for that. Minus the €25 I owe them for the 77 kWh purchased I guess. Thus the long, slow process of the solar paying for itself kicks into gear! I assume the rest of us with solar PV systems are seeing equal lovely numbers?
                                                                                  Remember this is Ireland, invest in a sturdy brolly and a pair of Wellies . Pay for themselves.

Comment

One thing about the weather starting to warm up; you start seeing some white flabby things that should really not be seen. And that you can't unsee.

Now I know why Iago moved to Spain. The bastard. Although maybe he is inflicting punishment upon the optical nerves of the locals himself.

Comment

One thing about the weather starting to warm up; you start seeing some white flabby things that should really not be seen. And that you can't unsee.

Now I know why Iago moved to Spain. The bastard. Although maybe he is inflicting punishment upon the optical nerves of the locals himself.
                                                                                      Just back from Ranelagh (buying a used consaw off adverts) and thought the exact opposite. Talent was excellent.

I'm sure the hawt Spanish young wans would think the same about a flabby middle aged balding man strutting his stuff down the street.

Sorry never met you IRL so all of the above could be totally wrong. Although I'm fairly sure at least middle aged thing is right...you've a girl doing the LC.
                                                                                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

Just back from Ranelagh (buying a used consaw off adverts) and thought the exact opposite. Talent was excellent.

I'm sure the hawt Spanish young wans would think the same about a flabby middle aged balding man strutting his stuff down the street.

Sorry never met you IRL so all of the above could be totally wrong. Although I'm fairly sure at least middle aged thing is right...you've a girl doing the LC.
                                                                                        I'm not middle-aged, it's just all my compatriots who seem to have succumbed to the ravages of age.

Luckily enough, I still seem to have hair and have got the genetic benefit of non-flabbiness. But still hoping for my lifestyle to catch up with me.

Comment

Also; WTF is a consaw and are they popular yokes in Ranelagh? Does Lao own one?

Comment

I'm sorting out some blinds for Bono's London gaff. Doubt I'll bump into him though.
                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

​​​I was in a fabulous house yesterday out your leafy way Raoul. The end of Seafield Road. Gated property, truly stunning.

Young couple in their early thirties, think it's family wealth though.

The cinema room was absolute swoon.

Comment

Clontarf really is a beautiful part of the city.

Comment

Like I always say, hot birds are solar powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                    Full of wankers though.

Comment

Also; WTF is a consaw and are they popular yokes in Ranelagh? Does Lao own one?
                                                                                                      A saw for cutting concrete. You can also use it for tiles and paving stones.
                                                                                                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Bert Kreisher and Kevin Smith is well worth a look for fans of either

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

​​​I was in a fabulous house yesterday out your leafy way Raoul. The end of Seafield Road. Gated property, truly stunning.

Young couple in their early thirties, think it's family wealth though.

The cinema room was absolute swoon.
                                                                                                          Yeah, Seafield Road = Money.

Which end, sea or church?

Comment

Ssssh, don't be telling people. We'll have all sorts of undesirables.

The average age must easily be 65 though.

Comment

Yeah, Seafield Road = Money.

Which end, sea or church?
                                                                                                              Sea end. I'm sure you know the house. Family have a few nice houses in the area, another on Vernon Ave.

Comment

Ssssh, don't be telling people. We'll have all sorts of undesirables.

The average age must easily be 65 though.
                                                                                                                My uncle has a house on St Lawrence's Rd, fab gaff. He bought it in the early eighties for pennies. Was a pretty run down bunch of flats. Must be worth a fair few bob now.

Comment

@Shrap, have you ever been to the Gustave Moreau museum in Paris? I had never heard of him until someone recommended the museum to me last week. It is fantastic, wonderful paintings in a funky 4 story house.
                                                                                                                  SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                    I did though hear an awful story. Apparently, if you sell back over €200 of electricity to the grid in a year, then you owe marginal income tax on the excess. What a stupid fucking idea. Just the raw inconvenience of making the declaration, if nothing else. To fix the issue I'm going to get a new car charger where you can select to charge the car off excess solar and thus, approximately, drive for free from May to September.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-05-23, 23:16.

Comment

My uncle has a house on St Lawrence's Rd, fab gaff. He bought it in the early eighties for pennies. Was a pretty run down bunch of flats. Must be worth a fair few bob now.
                                                                                                                      7 figures for sure. That really is a beautiful road, stay in with him.

Comment

honestly, I just don't have enough eyes. it's torture.
                                                                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

though this week, and forecast up to next Wednesday (sorry DeadParrot ) we are mostly having thunderstorms and torrential rain.

Hadn't rained all year and then this week the heavens opened.
                                                                                                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X