This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Do you ever go out to Higgins for your meat? He really is playing a different game to every other butcher.
    Yes, they are unbelievable. Would often head out there early on a Saturday to pick up meat.

Nice crowd too. Nolans are good, but Higgins are on another level.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I was never sure if they actually were good, or if it was just their social media + online presence.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Mine (hob) has a feature that heats entirely one full side of it with slightly different temps, you move the pot around on it I think or something. Have never used it as I haven't really delved into exactly why I would use it.

I could RTFM but I think I'll wait and buy Hitch's app
        I can just see you asking a variety of questions about a hob, dishwasher, etc, then the AI offering to let you read it's new short story or to see the new picture it created. In the bin with you AI!

Comment

I got that fancy Bora hob and I just press the power button and the '7' button, like I've done with all previous induction hobs. Heat the thing - don't heat the thing. That's all you need from a hob surely?
          Same with the washing machine. The dial has about 20 options...'daily wash' is the only one I'd ever dare choose.
          washing machines are a complete mystery
          WTF is a pre wash button for??! Nothing like giving your clothes a quick wash before you wash them!!

Comment

Never had spinach or kale before so said I would try out a nice salad as part of a nutritional programme I'm starting on
            Mixed bag spinach and kale, ice berg lettuce, cherry tomatoes , lightly fried mushrooms (with added Vit D no less), broken up walnuts, sprouts and tuna.
            Dressing was olive oil and lemon juice with black pepper

Really tasty. That spinach and kale is delicious . kind of earthy..tastes a bit like sesame seeds

It could have done with some bread but I hadn't made any dough up for flatbread but was thinking of going gluten free anyway so went without.

Have a psoriasis patch on leg and a few other small spots along so was getting a bit worried. Will be attempting a booze cut off also as that's probably a big culprit.

There's obviously no cure but if it can be improved or go into a remission that would be great.

Also bought some fresh blueberries and mango

Basically going for anti inflammatory goods

​​​​​​Tomatoes are not meant to be good for it or citrus fruits but will take it one step at a time and see what works.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Yes, they are unbelievable. Would often head out there early on a Saturday to pick up meat.

Nice crowd too. Nolans are good, but Higgins are on another level.
              I have a friend who now buys 2 Snake River wagyu striploins a week...coming in at about €50 each

Would recommend the Uruguayan picanha and the Iberico ribs if you haven't had them before. Crazily meaty for ribs.

Comment

I have a friend who now buys 2 Snake River wagyu striploins a week...coming in at about €50 each

Would recommend the Uruguayan picanha and the Iberico ribs if you haven't had them before. Crazily meaty for ribs.

They look exceedingly delicious.

Comment

Digesting my lunch and already want one of those...drool

Comment

I want to teach myself BBQ over the course what we like to call 'the summer'. If I'm able to do that, I'll be very happy indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Mine (hob) has a feature that heats entirely one full side of it with slightly different temps, you move the pot around on it I think or something. Have never used it as I haven't really delved into exactly why I would use it.

I could RTFM but I think I'll wait and use the app Hitch & I collaborated on together

Fixed your post for you. The legal advice bill is in the post...

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1735391&d=1684762075&type=thumb
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

phills.jpeg
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The contrast between Sleepy Joe and Trump on Russia is just outrageous really.

For any president of the USA, the answer Joe gives here should be about the easiest response you get to give all year. And Trump can't do it...because he is sold and owned.

Comment

Here's my latest song; I did a cover version of street hassle by Lou Reed - https://open.spotify.com/track/0KaI4...8cb87660d64e17

Comment

We have a pretty much new kitchen where not one page of one manual has ever been read.

Same goes for the new BBQ beast that I picked up the other week. That's actually the only one I would care about mastering.

What would the revenue model be Hitch?
                                Added a new gas grill myself this week, was so close to pulling the trigger on the genesis, but a crowed in wexford had this offer that i couldn't pass, https://www.coisnahabhann.ie/product...-e-325-gbs-bbq, the free rotisserie is 170.

Love the colour on the Genesis series.

PXL-20230519-140935824.jpg

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                  Never had spinach or kale before so said I would try out a nice salad as part of a nutritional programme I'm starting on
                                  Mixed bag spinach and kale, ice berg lettuce, cherry tomatoes , lightly fried mushrooms (with added Vit D no less), broken up walnuts, sprouts and tuna.
                                  Dressing was olive oil and lemon juice with black pepper

Really tasty. That spinach and kale is delicious . kind of earthy..tastes a bit like sesame seeds

It could have done with some bread but I hadn't made any dough up for flatbread but was thinking of going gluten free anyway so went without.

Have a psoriasis patch on leg and a few other small spots along so was getting a bit worried. Will be attempting a booze cut off also as that's probably a big culprit.

There's obviously no cure but if it can be improved or go into a remission that would be great.

Also bought some fresh blueberries and mango

Basically going for anti inflammatory goods

​​​​​​Tomatoes are not meant to be good for it or citrus fruits but will take it one step at a time and see what works.
                                  Seen something recently that high doses of vitD, 10000IU, is supposedly good for psoriasis, along with a multitude of other issues.
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

This appeared earlier as an advert, wording seems a bit strange unless first Screenshot_20230522_190840_Facebook.jpg line wasnt meant to be included

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

this is a reasonably common error now in the world of managed social media, see it every other week.
                                      AI wouldnt make that mistake

Comment

just remembered we bought our golden tickets over the weekend for next year's delights in the tottenham stadium. i think my irish friends are getting a little sick of me (i travel with 3 Irish dudes from london and dusseldorf) as Leinster always seems to lose when i'm around. long may it continue!

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                          Here's my latest song; I did a cover version of street hassle by Lou Reed - https://open.spotify.com/track/0KaI4...8cb87660d64e17
                                          great track as always. would not have known it was lou reed tbh till the last 2 minutes

Comment

The contrast between Sleepy Joe and Trump on Russia is just outrageous really.

For any president of the USA, the answer Joe gives here should be about the easiest response you get to give all year. And Trump can't do it...because he is sold and owned.

There is a much logistics that go with this though so it's not a slam dunk in air superiority

Firstly it will take 3 months to train Ukrainian pilots to a basic level
                                            To train a maintenance crewmember takes a year and F16 ratio of maintenance to flight time is something like 12 to 1
                                            F16s need long smooth runways which are of limited supply in Ukraine
                                            Building them will draw attention.
                                            Dont know what ordnance these F16s can carry or if the carrying mechanisms can be altered easily to carry less costly munitions
                                            A to A something something missile costs €1.2 M I think Biden saud they were not out of date models but had received some upgrades over time so hopefully their radar etc are up to spec.

However they are in plentiful supply worldwide so spare parts won't be an issue and it's a big step up and probably most importantly it's a big FU to Putin.

A few F35's would be nice though!

Regurgitated from somewhere ..Quora probably
                                            Last edited by dinekes; 22-05-23, 19:23.

Comment

Excellent! Who's on spoken word/vocals?

Comment

Was doing a no Mow May for the bees and stuff and my back garden has turned into a jungle.
                                                Lost the rag with it a little yesterday and managed to completely pack the brown bin purely with milk thistle and hawksbeard type things.
                                                The fucking size of some of the milkthistle plants is astounding, it managed to take over pretty much every corner of the garden and a a worrying amount through the paving stones.The grass is pretty much all dandelions, hawks beard and some other random stuff.
                                                The concept of the existing lawn is pretty dead and am debating whether to till it and start over or simply embrace the meadow aspect. Which makes it hard for me daughter to play there. Or even have a bbq
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

There is a much logistics that go with this though so it's not a slam dunk in air superiority

Firstly it will take 3 months to train Ukrainian pilots to a basic level
                                                  To train a maintenance crewmember takes a year and F16 ratio of maintenance to flight time is something like 12 to 1
                                                  F16s need long smooth runways which are of limited supply in Ukraine
                                                  Building them will draw attention.
                                                  Dont know what ordnance these F16s can carry or if the carrying mechanisms can be altered easily to carry less costly munitions
                                                  A to A something something missile costs €1.2 M I think Biden saud they were not out of date models but had received some upgrades over time so hopefully their radar etc are up to spec.

However they are in plentiful supply worldwide so spare parts won't be an issue and it's a big step up and probably most importantly it's a big FU to Putin.

A few F35's would be nice though!

Regurgitated from somewhere ..Quora probably
                                                  Not a military expert but I think this would be very much a strategic capability for Ukraine and something that would only be effective from 2024 onwards. Hopefully when they are inside NATO itself and being fastracked into the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                    Was doing a no Mow May for the bees and stuff and my back garden has turned into a jungle.
                                                    Lost the rag with it a little yesterday and managed to completely pack the brown bin purely with milk thistle and hawksbeard type things.
                                                    The fucking size of some of the milkthistle plants is astounding, it managed to take over pretty much every corner of the garden and a a worrying amount through the paving stones.The grass is pretty much all dandelions, hawks beard and some other random stuff.
                                                    The concept of the existing lawn is pretty dead and am debating whether to till it and start over or simply embrace the meadow aspect. Which makes it hard for me daughter to play there. Or even have a bbq
                                                    Not sure if it was the drink or not but I have a fairly clear memory of the stadium announcer saluting World Bee Day on Saturday. Cue 50,000 rugby fans murmuring 'what the fuck'...which sounded a bit like bees buzzing, which was humorous.

Comment

Seems quite murky and light on verified detail, but some alleged 'Russian partisans' seem to have launched a border incursion into RuSSia today and have been careering about having a wonderful time shooting up local militia and robbing stuff, like tanks. Still there apparently and posting away delightedly on social media about their adventures.

What goes around...

Comment

That's pretty fantastic HJ
                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Coincidentally this arrived today .blue one on the way.

15 yoyos
                                                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Really fantastic work
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

I see I correctly sniffed out chat gpt in the first round of Music king

didnt catch the 2nd gpt entry but that was in the folk round so can’t be blamed for that.
                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, guys! Much appreciated

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Excellent! Who's on spoken word/vocals?
                                                                That's a reasonably well-known singer from Dublin, he didn't want to be credited as he has an album coming out, and the record company wouldn't approve. I actually quite liked that because in the original song, Bruce Springsteen does the spoken word part, and he didn't want to be credited either.

Someone just mentioned to me that simple minds did a cover as well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwL6LkuZZp8

Comment

Quick question for those of you who might've gotten some security cameras for your house.

We are looking to get some for ours and it would be a 5 camera setup with a box for storage and then access to an app to view them.

Rough idea how much someone like this might cost?
                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                    Quick question for those of you who might've gotten some security cameras for your house.

We are looking to get some for ours and it would be a 5 camera setup with a box for storage and then access to an app to view them.

Rough idea how much someone like this might cost?
                                                                    Box for storage?
                                                                    Would blink/ring not do the job for you?
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I
                                                                      I mowed earlier in the month and agreed with herself's suggestion to give this ago. I was hounded last few days to take care of said jungle. So I ripped into it last night. Didn't use the collector as it would have taken 5x times the effort with my puny electric mower. I'll have to rake it or maybe my mates leaf blower could help over the weekend. All the weeds got so big and strong it's gonna be a ballache to remove the roots.

Not gonna lie I'm considering borrowing the oul fellas rotavator to rip the whole lawn apart too. I just don't understand the amount of effort needed to restart the process (levelling, sand, soil, seed, fertilizer etc). My mate said to just buy rolls of real turf and put it down but that's €€ too.

Comment

We played volleyball last weekend and came up against a transgender player! I didn't expect that to happen here. It's a mixed league with many rules about what men can't do, so it's quite a big advantage. She had a very powerful spike but was pretty inaccurate, so it wasn't a big deal. (Half the time she would hit the net) Our captain wanted to complain, but I convinced her not to; for one thing, we are third from the bottom, so who cares!

Comment

The lads just put in some of the new internal doors for upstairs today - amazing how transformative a proper heavy door with a decent handle can be!

Only downside is it's making me think how shit a job was done downstairs.

Comment

Anyone else wonder what extrajudicial shit tylerdurden is up to that he needs such an elaborate anti-intruder setup?

Comment

I just finished the first season of Mr Inbetween. It's a half an hour show about a criminal/bouncer in Australia, the writing is great, and the main character is a mixture of interesting and charismatic. - I loved it.

Criminal for hire Ray Shoesmith juggles a relationship, parenting, friendships and a sick brother.Stream all episodes of #MrInbetweenFX on Hulu.Ray Shoesmith...

Comment

I just finished the first season of Mr Inbetween. It's a half an hour show about a criminal/bouncer in Australia, the writing is great, and the main character is a mixture of interesting and charismatic. - I loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EooRG3QhQOY
                                                                                A few people on here have been recommending it for years and absolutely love it. Hotspur, oleras, myself... (i think). Could be more

Comment

We played volleyball last weekend and came up against a transgender player! I didn't expect that to happen here. It's a mixed league with many rules about what men can't do, so it's quite a big advantage. She had a very powerful spike but was pretty inaccurate, so it wasn't a big deal. (Half the time she would hit the net) Our captain wanted to complain, but I convinced her not to; for one thing, we are third from the bottom, so who cares!
                                                                                  Is it indoors 6v6?one of my fav sports. Played at national level for a long time. What are the specific rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I suspect we are in a gold-rush period, similar to the beginning of the internet, where first-mover is everything. Like amazon having the idea to sell books online at the commercial beginning of the internet. Obv that's now a fairly basic idea, but they got all these advantages just from being first to do it. There must be a billion ideas out there that all have some sort of chance right now. While maybe in a years time, there might be just a few tens of thousands of ideas.
                                                                                    Scan a random pile of Lego and come up with a design based on what your kids are watching on Disney plus.

Not really AI but Lego will buy it off you just to shut it down.

Comment

A possible motivating factor to transition

NB They can't cancel me!...I'm a nobody

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Is it indoors 6v6?one of my fav sports. Played at national level for a long time. What are the specific rules?
                                                                                        Outdoors, but on an indoor like court. Men can't block women, and men can't spike from the front, but you can tip the ball pretty hard. Minimum 3 women.

I'd never played before this year, but I started playing a pickup game and then joined a team; I'm too old to play football, so it's great finding a competitive team sport to play again. It's a great game, lots of fun.

That's cool, national level! What position did you play?
                                                                                        Last edited by Hectorjelly; 23-05-23, 20:10.

Comment

Outdoors, but on an indoor like court. Men can't block women, and men can't spike from the front, but you can tip the ball pretty hard. Minimum 3 women.

I'd never played before this year, but I started playing a pickup game and then joined a team; I'm too old to play football, so it's great finding a competitive team sport to play again. It's a great game, lots of fun.

Remember years ago our Sports and social bought volley ball stuff. I rushed out every lunch hour was such a fun sport . So many great fun sports but Volley ball is the craic. I based my leftie serve of Mcenroes long stretch pause and hit. ( for fun and redicule as opposed to effectiveness of course )

Comment

as a leftie, i played opposite hitter most of the time. So much fun and good memories.

Comment

First time flying in and out of London City Airport. It's going to be very very hard to flying into any other London airport in future, despite the extra expense. Weirdly they even land you back in a part of Dublin Airport I'd never seen before - a landing gate right beside passport control, rather than the usual 1km slog through the airport. Feel this knowledge is like unlocking a new superpower. Pls use it wisely.
                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Had just accidentally not mowed the lawn since September, but then repeatedly hearing about no-mow May served to remind me to mow the lawn.

Think I remember hearing about some behavioural principle along those lines in terms of public messaging - that negative messaging can sometimes encourage people to do the thing you don't want them to do, as it's a reminder of 'the thing' that they might have otherwise forgotten about.

Comment

Would those teams be seeded? As in, if you weren't particularly good could you join a team of equal beginners and not feel embarrassed?

Comment

No RIPs for Rolf Harris?

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Shove Rolf Harris up his didgeridoo.

In better news, Billy Connolly is not dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Would those teams be seeded? As in, if you weren't particularly good could you join a team of equal beginners and not feel embarrassed?
                                                                                                        The standard in the league is pretty decent, beginners would struggle (I do! I'm the worst on the team!) , but our team was formed from a pickup game that plays every Saturday morning on beach courts, there are plenty of beginners there. It doesn't take too long to get up to ok standard.

Comment

Apartments bad, hotels good. ffs.

Noel Smyth’s Fitzwilliam Real Estate has secured the green light for a nine-storey, 245-bedroom ‘lean luxury’ hotel over Arnotts in Dublin.

Dublin City Council (DCC) has given the scheme the go-ahead after concluding that the planned hotel “will contribute to the regeneration and will have a positive impact on the surrounding area”.

The grant of planning follows DCC’s refusal of planning permission to Fitzwilliam Real Estate for a 12-storey, 159-unit build-to-rent scheme on the same site in January. The council pointed out that there is a general presumption against large-scale developments which comprise entirely of build-to-rent units.

Comment

Thats class - didn't know this was a thing - apparently if you take the first two letters of each of the Harry Potter novels in sequence it spells out a secret message.

SPOILER
                                                                                                            HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

A few people on here have been recommending it for years and absolutely love it. Hotspur, oleras, myself... (i think). Could be more
                                                                                                              yep it's awesome

Comment

RIP
                                                                                                                Rolf Harris , Saville, Gary Glitter- the paedo 70s was really fucked up. Are parents more clued in these days ? If it were today Saville would have been stabbed in the throat. Think about it , what would you do if it were your child ? My late father went into the Christian Brothers and pinned one of them to the wall for bashing the eldest brother . Those feckers were sadists and pervs . Not so much of it these days . Progress i guess .

Comment

It's looking like we're are going to dramatically narrow the income tax payment gap with the UK this year.

UK has long had lower income tax if you were on £50k or less. You pay £12k tax on £50k. On top of that you also pay council tax which is an average of another £1.5k (compared to the pittance that is Irish property tax). Convert that to euros and you would be paying €15.5k tax on €58k income.

Last year we would have been paying about €17k tax on the same €58k income, incl average property tax. That fell quite a bit this year to about €16.1k tax. Almost certain to be the same cut again in the next budget, with another €900 knocked off the bill through a €4k rise in upper rate bands and maybe a €200 rise in tax credits. €15k tax, and with a trajectory of even less, while the UK won't be able to spend a penny for the foreseeable forever.

Quite a turnaround.

The UK still has some extra benefits - particularly ISAs, but still - to have been a country mile behind up until two years ago and now be approximately the same and trending lower is some change.

Comment

Got hit with 5k levy for "fire safety" yesterday to be paid by end of June 2023.... WTaF.
                                                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                      No RIPs for Rolf Harris?

Sadly the little fella didnt make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                        I read Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity by Peter Attia recently. It's a bit ponderous. But the sections on heart disease are good.
                                                                                                                        Just finished the audiobook. Yeah as you said somewhat ponderous in places but not enough that I was ever skipping forward.

Even though I was already aware of many of the things he talks about around exercise I think it is a very powerful chapter that highlights its importance in ways that tend to really resonate with people. I think everyone should read that chapter even if they have no interest in the rest of the book, it is only a 45-minute listen. (Chapter 11: Exercise: The Most Powerful Longevity Drug)

While important I had no idea that VO2 max is so tightly correlated with longevity.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Opr; 24-05-23, 11:41.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                                          Got hit with 5k levy for "fire safety" yesterday to be paid by end of June 2023.... WTaF.
                                                                                                                          In what context?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X