This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Originally it was the lack of a fire cert which lasted until the fire cert for the buildings in use was produced so now apparently it's what's known in the local vernacular as 'Min', "There are too many single Min", "We don't want any Min here in Clare, I'm scared for my daughters" (That woman was actually sobbing as she said that ... WtAF )
    It's comical, Imagine the outrage if someone was to say "Wimmin, we don't any single Wimmin corrupting our sons"
    I cried when our Russian Neighbour moved in.

That arse

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
      Music King Semi Finals are up:

Welcome to the first semi final of music king! Two genres this time: Electronica (we'll try this again, no aphex twin) 90s Pop One free pick Player 1 Dig your Own Hole was such a seismic commercial success, had singles that were played so repeatedly and used so extensively by films / ads - that it’s easy to overlook /

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...g-semi-final-2
      Evening bump

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
        Quite amazing Twitter thread on writers' thoughts about a new AI writing tool - https://twitter.com/jamesjyu/status/1658933765824192512

It's amazing seeing this sort of thing first-hand, like getting a front-row seat at the dawn of the luddites.
        Commentary is spot on imo.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Succession

SPOILER
          Conor's concession speech is brilliant writing. Hilarious.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Have to teach a new class next week. Got some old, awful, slides for the course.

1. Feed slides into GPT4 - can you simplify these slides?
            2. Now add some more detail back in to the slides that ensures the flow of the slides leads to 'X' learning outcome on the part of students
            3. Can you now add interesting relevant examples on each slides, use web-browsing, only use recent examples from the last year
            4. Now add a class exercise every few pages that leads to 'X' learning outcome, make sure the tasks are varied

They still require a fair bit of work, but they are vastly improved slides. Both for me, in terms of time saved, and for students in terms of learning
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I never use slides anymore. Blank screen, Apple Pencil. Great feedback from the students.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                I never use slides anymore. Blank screen, Apple Pencil. Great feedback from the students.
                The difference is possibly that I lack your innate subject knowledge . My big thing is that I like to teach new subjects every year in areas that are tangential to my core knowledge, so I definitely need the slides there as hints as to what I'm meant to say next. Your grasp of your subject matters are probably a lot less tenuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

new subjects every year in areas that are tangential to my core knowledge
                  This could be a great line in a sitcom!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Commentary is spot on imo.
                    Absolute nonsense IMO, it's just a tool, and it's not going to replace good writing any time soon. Good writers can use it to quickly flesh out ideas before finessing them. The first draft of any writing is always shit, so if good writers can save some time there we'll end up with more better quality books.

Comment

Absolute nonsense IMO, it's just a tool, and it's not going to replace good writing any time soon. Good writers can use it to quickly flesh out ideas before finessing them. The first draft of any writing is always shit, so if good writers can save some time there we'll end up with more better quality books.
                      The problem is you're viewing the positives from the consumers pov.

Sure, it will probably result in more better quality books. Provenance won't matter to the future consumer.

The commentary is spot on from an authors perspective.

It will be a great tool for mediocre/lazy writers, but won't offer much for talented creative ones.

Have you thought that maybe the slow fleshing of ideas, or the working through blocks are important parts of the creative process?
                      Last edited by Lazare; 19-05-23, 06:03.

Comment

Zuutrosaurus

Comment

Looking forward to the rugby feast in our fair city this weekend now. Hoping Toulon and Glasgow give us a nice aperitif and just chuck it about with gay abandon this evening. Something like 35-34 would be fun for a crowd that won't have any skin in the game.

Really think Leinster will crush LAR tomorrow, backing them to win by >20. We're the best club and international team in the world, be nice to remind everyone of that fact before summer holidays and then the third leg of the treble - winning the World Cup.

Comment

Just the 3 months to get the kitchen sorted, how anyone does a whole house if beyond me.

Kitchen counter guys came and measured, 2 weeks to install, very efficient, went for same quartz backsplash as the counters, no grout-lines to get dirty
                            Tiler took 3 weeks to actually call and then said he would be 4 weeks out.
                            Guy painting the cabinets said he would be in on a monday and out by friday... technically correct, but there was 5 weeks between that monday and friday

In fairness we were not on any timeline and once the floor tiles went down that was kinda the end of the dust.

So happy with the induction hob, im still convinced there is a witch inside it...a pot of water just cant come to the boil that fast !!
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

That's a good tiler Ole. Last thing you want is someone who can turn up the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                Just the 3 months to get the kitchen sorted, how anyone does a whole house if beyond me.

Kitchen counter guys came and measured, 2 weeks to install, very efficient, went for same quartz backsplash as the counters, no grout-lines to get dirty
                                Tiler took 3 weeks to actually call and then said he would be 4 weeks out.
                                Guy painting the cabinets said he would be in on a monday and out by friday... technically correct, but there was 5 weeks between that monday and friday

In fairness we were not on any timeline and once the floor tiles went down that was kinda the end of the dust.

So happy with the induction hob, im still convinced there is a witch inside it...a pot of water just cant come to the boil that fast !!
                                The last tradesman starts Monday (flooring/skirting/doors upstairs + built-in wardrobes and presses) and then we are done. For Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  Looking forward to the rugby feast in our fair city this weekend now. Hoping Toulon and Glasgow give us a nice aperitif and just chuck it about with gay abandon this evening. Something like 35-34 would be fun for a crowd that won't have any skin in the game.

Really think Leinster will crush LAR tomorrow, backing them to win by >20. We're the best club and international team in the world, be nice to remind everyone of that fact before summer holidays and then the third leg of the treble - winning the World Cup.

Off to this tomorrow as a fair weather fan. Backing Porter for first try in your honour.

Comment

That's a good tiler Ole. Last thing you want is someone who can turn up the next day.
                                    Guy who supplied the state of the art automated window blind of course cant go without a mention... Flowed seamlessly between trades.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

i'll be there for both games, as i'm flying in later on. i've backed Toulon and LAR (they're just too big imo at 3/1), and villieres as FTS for tonight's game.

probably worth backing glasgow and leinster then!!

Comment

Music King Semi Finals are up:

Welcome to the first semi final of music king! Two genres this time: Electronica (we'll try this again, no aphex twin) 90s Pop One free pick Player 1 Dig your Own Hole was such a seismic commercial success, had singles that were played so repeatedly and used so extensively by films / ads - that it’s easy to overlook /

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...g-semi-final-2
                                        Morning bump

Comment

A few before and after pics, still a few small jobs to do, but certainly brightens the room up.

PXL-20230128-154654956.jpg

PXL-20230128-154659816.jpg

PXL-20230128-154704313.jpg

PXL-20230519-082818936.jpg

PXL-20230519-082826561.jpg

PXL-20230519-082833542.jpg

PXL-20230519-082906621.jpg
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Prefer the first pics
                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

i'll be there for both games, as i'm flying in later on. i've backed Toulon and LAR (they're just too big imo at 3/1), and villieres as FTS for tonight's game.

probably worth backing glasgow and leinster then!!
                                              I'll keep an eye out for a big limpy surrender monkey.

I'll be wearing a Clermont beret.

Comment

Really hope the building visible through the kitchen window is Ole's smokehouse.

Comment

I'll keep an eye out for a big limpy surrender monkey.

I'll be wearing a Clermont beret.
                                                  On crutches. I'll let you know what section I'm in once i have the tickets

Comment

Great picture from the address made by them on the debt ceiling yesterday.

Reddit - "One guy thought it was a zoom meeting"

Comment

Really hope the building visible through the kitchen window is Ole's smokehouse Schoolhouse.
                                                      Had the chance to buy that site 30 years ago, architect said avoid as wouldn't get planning for septic, was 12k iirc, was later sold and a very nice renovation carried out on it, building is from 1880 or something.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Lazare - do you guys also supply patio awnings? On the lookout for one, and was thinking this type of product is in the same family as indoor blinds at least

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                          Lazare - do you guys also supply patio awnings? On the lookout for one, and was thinking this type of product is in the same family as indoor blinds at least
                                                          We don't do them anymore Paul but I can hook you up with a guy. Can be electric or manually operated with a crank handle. I have the latter and it's fantastic. Really handy for barbecuing on a rainy day.

Comment

Interesting parallel here.

I'm currently halfway through reading the new Barbara Kingsolver novel, I always enjoy her writing, Poisonwood Bible and Lacuna are both great reads, so I picked it up knowing nothing about it .
                                                            It's called Demon Copperhead and it starts off he has a dissolute mother and is being reared by the Peggot family, the mother marries a guy called Stoner and I was starting to think there was some odd going on. I'm a bit thick I suppose because it was almost 200 pages in when he is being fostered by he spendthrift McCobb family and she has the line about McCobb
                                                            He always ended up saying the same thing: If you spend one penny less than you earn every month, you’ll be happy. But spend a penny more than you earn, you’re done for. He’d look at me with those dark, sad eyes and lay this on me. That the secret of happiness basically is two cents.
                                                            that I realised that the book is a transposition of the plot, structure and characters of David Copperfield to 1990's rural Virginia. In fairness to me its probably 50 years since I read Copperfield!

Point being Kingsolver using Dickens to give her a structure, plot and readymade characters is not really different from using an AI to do similar. In this case her quality writing, humanity and insights into the time and place she is writing about make for a very enjoyable read.
                                                            AI will probably result in improved outcome for the readers of those big brand bestselling writers that have teams of writers and dominate the crime and thriller charts.
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Awnings are definitely a product that offer value when you spend more on a proper good quality one.

A good one will last 30 + years.

Comment

We don't do them anymore Paul but I can hook you up with a guy. Can be electric or manually operated with a crank handle. I have the latter and it's fantastic. Really handy for barbecuing on a rainy day.
                                                                Yes please! Manual would be fine I guess but happy to consider everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                  Interesting parallel here.

I'm currently halfway through reading the new Barbara Kingsolver novel, I always enjoy her writing, Poisonwood Bible and Lacuna are both great reads, so I picked it up knowing nothing about it .
                                                                  It's called Demon Copperhead and it starts off he has a dissolute mother and is being reared by the Peggot family, the mother marries a guy called Stoner and I was starting to think there was some odd going on. I'm a bit thick I suppose because it was almost 200 pages in when he is being fostered by he spendthrift McCobb family and she has the line about McCobb

that I realised that the book is a transposition of the plot, structure and characters of David Copperfield to 1990's rural Virginia. In fairness to me its probably 50 years since I read Copperfield!

Point being Kingsolver using Dickens to give her a structure, plot and readymade characters is not really different from using an AI to do similar. In this case her quality writing, humanity and insights into the time and place she is writing about make for a very enjoyable read.
                                                                  AI will probably result in improved outcome for the readers of those big brand bestselling writers that have teams of writers and dominate the crime and thriller charts.
                                                                  I was listening to some show on the radio the other day that was talking about this exact thing only related to music. They went through a load of examples with Radiohead's Creep being the most famous.

The chord progression and melody in "Creep" are similar to those of the 1972 song "The Air That I Breathe", written by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood. After Rondor Music, the publisher of "The Air That I Breathe", took legal action, Hammond and Hazlewood received cowriting credits and a percentage of the royalties. Hammond said Radiohead were honest about having reused the composition, and so he and Hazlewood accepted only a small part of the royalties.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

I was listening to some show on the radio the other day that was talking about this exact thing only related to music. They went through a load of examples with Radiohead's Creep being the most famous.

Swedish Eurovision entry stole from Winner takes it All. - blatant.

*might be mentioned above somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Yes please! Manual would be fine I guess but happy to consider everything.
                                                                      Pm your number and I'll get him to call. He's away on a cruise right now spending all that awning money

I'll get him to contact you when he's back.

Comment

Got the results back from the Executive Health Check.

Thought it was a nice process - went into Charter Medical which is part of the Mater Private, and quite heavily subsidised by your regular health insurance. Think the net cost was about €300. They check just about everything - even down to a rather unexpected but very real finger-up-the-ass. (although I had to pay extra for that, and she said it has no medical relevance, but I insisted). You even need to shit on a stick and post it in afterwards, so they can check for microscopic blood residues in your stools. Anyway - all very comprehensive, is the point. Plus an ass finger.

My understanding is that you are meant to go in every year, and in that way you then have the trend to observe.

All good in the report apart from this rather stark warning about cholesterol. And my cholesterol levels aren't even that high - they were 5.6, when the recommended level is <5.0. But look at that risk implication ...

SPOILER
                                                                        Your blood results indicate that your overall level of cholesterol is too high as
                                                                        there is an imbalance in the ratio of desired types of cholesterol (HDL = ‘good’
                                                                        cholesterol, LDL = ‘bad’ cholesterol).

Dietary intervention can greatly reduce your cholesterol. Try to reduce
                                                                        saturated fats in your diet (from now on avoid processed high fat food,
                                                                        commercial baked goods and chocolate. Try to increase green
                                                                        vegetables and mono- and poly-unsaturated fats (fish oils,
                                                                        sunflower/olive oil). Eat at least 5 portions of fruits and vegetables per
                                                                        day, and instead of meats eat at least 2 portions of fish per week and 4-
                                                                        5 portions of nuts/seeds or legumes per week.

Because your cholesterol was elevated, I used the QRisk3 scoring system to
                                                                        calculate your personal risk of a heart attack or stroke in the next 10 years. This
                                                                        score is based on factors we gathered at your assessment including family
                                                                        history, body measurements, blood pressure and cholesterol result. Your risk
                                                                        score is now 4.3%- this means that of 100 people with the same risk factors as
                                                                        you, 4 of them will have a heart attack or stroke within the next 10 years.
                                                                        Someone with no risk factors the same age and sex as you would typically have
                                                                        a score of 2.4%.
                                                                        • Your 10-year QRISK®3 score 4.3%
                                                                        • The score of a healthy person with the same age, sex, and ethnicity* 2.4%
                                                                        • Relative risk** 1.8
                                                                        • Your QRISK®3 Healthy Heart Age*** 52
                                                                        • Cholesterol 5.6 mmol/l High <5.0
                                                                        • Fasting Triglyceride 1.20 mmol/l <1.70
                                                                        • HDL-Cholesterol 1.19 mmol/l >1.00
                                                                        • LDL-Cholesterol 3.9 mmol/l High <3.0
                                                                        • non HDL-C 4.4 mmol/l High <3.8

On the body fat it was quite interesting:

SPOILER
                                                                        Very low body fat - 16%, at the very healthy end of the healthy end. Visceral fat also very low - 6%. The bit I wasn't expected was that the muscle mass index was down in the dangerously low end. So the key recommendation there was to actually gain five kilos of only muscle. Hadn't felt there was any issue with muscles at all, but apparently the loss of the belly fat since January has also wiped out loads of natural muscle mass.

Comment

Kitchen looks class Ole!

Comment

None of those examples are stealing, or are comparable to the use of this particular AI tool.

Artists take inspiration from other artists all the time. Hip Hop is an artform built on the practise.

Creep is a work of art. Thom Yorke's songwriting is special because it's his creative genius.

If he sat down that day with the melody of Air that I breathe in his head and stumped for ideas asked an AI tool, and that tool created the concept of Creep it would be vacuous.

Enjoyable to listen to for sure, but missing something very special.

Comment

None of those examples are stealing, or are comparable to the use of this particular AI tool.

Artists take inspiration from other artists all the time. Hip Hop is an artform built on the practise.

Creep is a work of art. Thom Yorke's songwriting is special because it's his creative genius.

If he sat down that day with the melody of Air that I breathe in his head and stumped for ideas asked an AI tool, and that tool created the concept of Creep it would be vacuous.

I think you are maybe thinking of this as 'robot vs human', but where your perception of robot is a historic caricature that isn't realistic. There's no innate difference between smart AI intelligence (of which creativity is a part) and human intelligence (of which creativity is a part). In both cases its neurons* hitting off each other to generate an outcome. They are not fundamentally different - or rather even if due to tech limitations they are a bit different, they will definitely not be different in the future. Our brains are computers. You are at slight risk of delving into the spiritual here by claiming there is fundamental difference between the two - a soul, perhaps? There will be zero difference between human creativity and AI creativity within the next few years - the only risk is that AI will be innately more creative than humans.

* I acknowledge here for the tech-pedants that AI is not neurons and the brain analogy is not useful for understanding AI but rather exists due to historical inaccuracies, but I think the approximate point about the resulting intelligence is still correct
                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 19-05-23, 13:44.

Comment

Got the results back from the Executive Health Check.

Thought it was a nice process - went into Charter Medical which is part of the Mater Private, and quite heavily subsidised by your regular health insurance. Think the net cost was about €300. They check just about everything - even down to a rather unexpected but very real finger-up-the-ass. (although I had to pay extra for that, and she said it has no medical relevance, but I insisted). You even need to shit on a stick and post it in afterwards, so they can check for microscopic blood residues in your stools. Anyway - all very comprehensive, is the point. Plus an ass finger.

My understanding is that you are meant to go in every year, and in that way you then have the trend to observe.

All good in the report apart from this rather stark warning about cholesterol. And my cholesterol levels aren't even that high - they were 5.6, when the recommended level is <5.0. But look at that risk implication ...

On the body fat it was quite interesting:
                                                                                I read Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity by Peter Attia recently. It's a bit ponderous. But the sections on heart disease are good.

It's a bit like the food pyramid. The science behind heart disease has moved on but doctors haven't got the message so they're looking at outdated metrics.

Bad food = high cholesterol is simplistic and outdated. and ApoB is his main focus.

I can send on the ebook.
                                                                                Last edited by Denny Crane; 19-05-23, 14:23.

Comment

I think you are maybe thinking of this as 'robot vs human', but where your perception of robot is a historic caricature that isn't realistic. There's no innate difference between smart AI intelligence (of which creativity is a part) and human intelligence (of which creativity is a part). In both cases its neurons* hitting off each other to generate an outcome. They are not fundamentally different - or rather even if due to tech limitations they are a bit different, they will definitely not be different in the future. Our brains are computers. You are at slight risk of delving into the spiritual here by claiming there is fundamental difference between the two - a soul, perhaps? There will be zero difference between human creativity and AI creativity within the next few years - the only risk is that AI will be innately more creative than humans.

* I acknowledge here for the tech-pedants that AI is not neurons and the brain analogy is not useful for understanding AI but rather exists due to historical inaccuracies, but I think the approximate point about the resulting intelligence is still correct
                                                                                  My point is that it renders art boring in many ways, once the novelty wears off. Your Bourdain review of Supermacs was fascinating, mind blowing. In a years time it will be boring.

Here's a thought experiment.

That guy in my avatar is the first human in history to run a marathon in under two hours.
                                                                                  It was a controlled environment, but still it's being hailed as a truly historic event and achievement.

Imagine we're in a world before motor propelled transport.
                                                                                  Imagine discovering the motorcycle for the first time, and rightfully hailing this new technology as genius.

The potential it has to change the world, the fears people have about its safety.

In that parallel universe people are debating it.

News comes in that a man on a motorcycle covered the marathon distance in 15 minutes and people are stunned.

Soon anyone can learn to ride a motorcycle and cover a marathon in 15 minutes.

You and I debate it online. You say it's exciting progress, which it is in many ways. I say I prefer to watch Eliud Kipchoge run it in two hours, and in that particular area of the wonder of the motorcycle I feel it creates a loss to society.

Comment

I read Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity by Peter Attia recently. It's a bit ponderous. But the sections on heart disease are good.

It's a bit like the food pyramid. The science behind heart disease has moved on but doctors haven't got the message so they're looking at outdated metrics.

Bad food = high cholesterol is simplistic and outdated. and ApoB is his main focus.

I can send on the ebook.
                                                                                    Would you? That would be class. Been meaning to read it, but got an older book - maybe from your goodreads timeline - Lifespan, and felt pot-committed to that as my longevity read even though the science is more likely to be outdated

Comment

My point is that it renders art boring in many ways, once the novelty wears off. Your Bourdain review of Supermacs was fascinating, mind blowing. In a years time it will be boring.

That guy in my avatar is the first human in history to run a marathon in under two hours.
                                                                                      It was a controlled environment, but still it's being hailed as a truly historic event and achievement.

Imagine discovering the motorcycle for the first time, and rightfully hailing this new technology as genius.

The potential it has to change the world, the fears people have about its safety.

News comes in that a man on a motorcycle covered the marathon distance in 15 minutes and people are stunned.

You and I debate it online. You say it's exciting progress, which it is in many ways. I say I prefer to watch Eliud Kipchoge run it in two hours, and in that particular area of the wonder of the motorcycle I feel it creates a loss to society.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you say there.

I just feel the vast bulk of future creative mindblowing events will, for better or worse, come from AI rather than people as it will be innately better than us at being creative. Humans are largely going to be the equivalent of attending a kids school play when compared alongside a Westend production - you appreciate the enthusiasm of the kids, but its largely charitable clapping. Thats quite a challenge for us, as we are used to being the planetary top dogs. The challenge then is how we live with that and benefit from it.

We still have at least a decade or two though, hopefully, where what the AI is producing is aided and guided by humans. After that, we will probably be quite insignificant in terms of producing creativity and new ideas.

I'm not sure though that this is all that big a deal. As in, creativity is not a deal-breaker for being a satisfied human, its the people you know and the society you live in, and how you treat others. The big losers are the extremely rare highly creative people, who will inevitably be out of a job. The rest of us will benefit from the new developments.

Comment

I don't follow this analogy (and a similar one you made before about golf)

In sporting events, people's achievements are measured through the context of the rules. Some sports (like F1) have technology as a large part of the area for competitiveness, but most make sure their competitors compete on an even technological field.

I could win every marathon going if I was allowed to use a bicycle, but why would anyone be interested in that? The competition would just become a bike ride

The analogy falls down on one level because art is not a competition, there are no rules.

Comment

You can't stop progress. Much as most people don't want to go back to running/walking/using a horse to cover distances, if it turns out that AI can make better tv shows, novels, art, whatever, in 50 years time people in general won't want to accept inferior things. I'm not saying that we should delegate all of these things, or even that it is likely to happen. I personally could care less if if a picture was created by a human or AI generated, but I'm the least art appreciative person there is really and I can see that many people do care. Lots of people though won't care.

Ultimately, if lots of jobs/roles/whatever are lost because of AI, it won't be the fact that these are being done by machine now that will be the issue for most, it'll be what people can and will be doing instead that gets them paid and to have enough money to have a decent standard of living. If there is mass unemployment worldwide, and massively increased poverty because companies don't want or need to pay people then the world has a problem. Thankfully though, the world needs consumers to have money, so you'd hope that things change in a way that doesn't have the massive detrimental effect of large parts of society. If not, who generates art will be the least of our problems.

Comment

Designed a simple app as proof of concept for GPT. Its not unique, there's others out there like this. Although I think it does look a lot nicer than the alternatives. Next steps will be personalisation. But it works really fucking smart.

Step 1:

Load a 412-page PDF of a car manual for the car I'm renting for Florida trip. Takes 20 seconds to embed all the pages.

LVOPJS2l.jpg

Step 2:

Ask it a question.

RDfWjxjl.jpg

Step 3:

Answer appears. Seems decent, and written in natural language.

s8BCgSsl.jpg

Step 4:

Can ask it follow-up questions and it remembers the context of past questions.

iICnENZl.jpg

Comment

Would you? That would be class. Been meaning to read it, but got an older book - maybe from your goodreads timeline - Lifespan, and felt pot-committed to that as my longevity read even though the science is more likely to be outdated
                                                                                              I think I did see a view reviews saying they preferred the older book.

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... the muscle thing is interesting. It's surprisingly easy to lose muscle when leaning out unless you are actively training close to failure. Use it or lose it is the name of the game.

I wonder do those tests bias towards leg muscle, because they should, and I'd wager 95% of middle aged men have horrendous leg strength and development.
                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Everthing in the arts will be technically brilliant going forward but inspiration aly lacking. It doesnt matter as this has already happened. However the mind in itself cant be mapped and the levels of consciousness can't be defined we will either be dmting our heads off or we will return to the greatness we swayed from. IMO. There is atill nothing better than watching an expert do his thing at the highest level. Take calcullators - nobody is impressed with them really but when a human does nth degree calculation , it stirs us .

Anyhoo my faith in AI medical developments is banking on some progress in pulmonary fibrosis, the mudder diagnosed this week. Come on AI dig something out

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                    Hitchhiker's Guide To... the muscle thing is interesting. It's surprisingly easy to lose muscle when leaning out unless you are actively training close to failure. Use it or lose it is the name of the game.

I wonder do those tests bias towards leg muscle, because they should, and I'd wager 95% of middle aged men have horrendous leg strength and development.
                                                                                                    10-15 mins of resistance training is enough for the average Joe. I have big strong legs and do just enough leg work to keep the muscle toned.

Some comical skinny legs v upper bodys in the gym all right. Do they not see it ?

Comment

I'm not sure I've ever opened a manual for a car! I barely opened the one for the plane.

Comment

I'm not sure I've ever opened a manual for a car! I barely opened the one for the plane.
                                                                                                        When I was showing it to the brother he suggested - you'd want to have that voice-automated as it's more likely to occur to someone inside a car when in need. Actually it's fairly trivial to make it voice automated.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

10-15 mins of resistance training is enough for the average Joe. I have big strong legs and do just enough leg work to keep the muscle toned.

Some comical skinny legs v upper bodys in the gym all right. Do they not see it ?
                                                                                                          You're some man.
                                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

After 45 minutes of intense questioning re the air conditioning button Hitches AI finally loses the rag....

Comment

About to take off for Milan, it's going to be a long flight, Bayou Belle is running at 19:30 and we are getting irrationally optimistic after a good run from her stablemate earlier.
                                                                                                              Bad draw, regular jock suspended and maybe going to far first time out are all good reasons to be cautious.
                                                                                                              Wouldn't back her under 16/1 ew

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

You're some man.
                                                                                                                  I saw the lusitania in distress , i put the lusitania on my chest, I drank all the water in the sea and i walked all the way to Italy.

Comment

Hard to see how Russia isn't utterly fucked now with the US starting to take the shackles off the real weapons - surely, it's a matter of time until Ukraine get whatever they need. The walls of resistance seem to be coming down.

DeSantis might fuck that tbh, but as of now, things not looking good for Hitch and his Ruski comrades.

Comment

Hard to see how Russia isn't utterly fucked now with the US starting to take the shackles off the real weapons - surely, it's a matter of time until Ukraine get whatever they need. The walls of resistance seem to be coming down.

DeSantis might fuck that tbh, but as of now, things not looking good for Hitch and his Ruski comrades.
                                                                                                                      Is there something specific that you are referring to with 'starting to take the shackles off the real weapons'? I haven't heard anything new.

Edit: The F-16 stuff?
                                                                                                                      Last edited by ComradeCollie; 19-05-23, 20:28.
                                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Looking forward to fighting in the trenches with Laz in the coming AI v human wars.
                                                                                                                        Quisling collaborators like hitch and HJ will be dealt with
                                                                                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I've signed up for a ChatGPT hackathon for this weekend. https://partiful.com/e/gTlVyEEGGJ1KZtRHw8hk Main doubt is the social aspect - guess you just turn up and speeddate to meet some teammates to work with?
                                                                                                                          First part of the hackathon was tonight. 6pm - 9:30pm - with the sole purpose of the evening being to form teams. Oh it was excruciating. You could either pitch an idea, by putting a purple postit on the board with the idea, or join an idea by putting a yellow postit with your name underneath.

I went with some education idea. Prof uploads documents. App generates questions for students to check their learning. Students can answer in free-form, and app evaluates their answers and offers advice. Sell it as an add-on to uni teaching platforms.

The silence was deafening. And I'd be chatting away to people (itself excruciating) but glancing at the board and seeing no yellow stickers going under my idea.

Then I was chatting to someone and go - I was actually originally thinking about something stupid. Just get all car manuals and people can use voice to ask questions when they want to understand something in their car (e.g. my throwaway post earlier).

The guy goes - 'Bob' get over here. Suddenly we've this guy - whose name I can't remember, and 'Bob' whose name I can't remember. And.theyre.on.the.team. We have a team. We picked up another person. And someone who can't be there tomorrow says she'll zoom in.

So we have:
                                                                                                                          - A UI designer
                                                                                                                          - A systems designer
                                                                                                                          - A data scientist
                                                                                                                          - A UX expert on call as needs be
                                                                                                                          - and whatever I am

We're turning up tomorrow at 9am and will code through to 9pm. Then five hours finalizing the prototype app on Sunday, and then we pitch it.

Good god it's both fantastic and awful.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X