This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    The news on Ukraine seems worse than useless.

There's a top story on most news feeds - including Sky News and CNN today about Ukraine 'intercepting all 18 missiles fired at Kyiv', and then right underneath it a story from the US saying their Patriot missile was likely 'only damaged' by one of those missiles (the Russians claim 'destroyed'). So two stories right next to each other contradicting each other at whether missiles hit anything.

Then that leak a month or two back showing vastly different stories compared to the news stories on damage levels.

I suspect the only thing worth actually following are maps of assessed controlled land and everything else is a broad nonsense.

More broadly, and without an iota of information, I'd say the nut best prediction is that that map of assessed control will look broadly the same for the next few years give or take a few hundred km.
    Russia launched a volley of missiles into Ukraine overnight, and Ukraine was able to shoot down all the Kinzhals in the strike.Full Newsletter: https://mailc...

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
      Wildfire smoke here in Calgary is insane. We are getting a glimpse into MysteryGuests future timeline.

It's been bad before, but this is next level.

And I'm gonna go play 18 in it.
      It’s not my future timeline- it’s just the timeline.
      It’s nuts how quickly people adjust and rationalise away this stuff though. Like Florida is still experiencing massive inward migration in the states even though it is clearly fucked- next big hurricane there will likely make most homes in the state uninsurable and they will be getting more and more destructive .
      It’s all become so obvious even here in Ireland the the deniers have moved on from outright denial to saying yes it’s changing but saying it’s nothing to do with human activities.

not sure what will really shock people anymore- unprecedented fires and temps in far away places won’t do it, record temps at home won’t do it (break out the burgers and cider), record sea temps won’t do it and I’m fairly sure the first mass casualty wet bulb event in an Indian city won’t do it either (maybe item#3 on the news for a few hours).

Everything is trending towards worse than the worst case IPCC predictions faster than predicted (which isn’t surprising given the insane lobbying to remove and tone down huge parts of those reports that go on from first world countries)

honestly used to think not my problem I’ll be long dead and/or tech will save us but you really have to have the blinkers on to believe that now. Don’t spend too much time fretting about it as I don’t believe we are capable of changing things literally benevolent super advanced aliens or AI are the only outs.
      Just have to provide a counterpoint to the quasi- religious faith in unstoppable human progress that gets pumped on here-you are living through the acceleration of our great filter
      Last edited by MysteryGuest; 16-05-23, 18:45.
      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Spent a while on Google maps looking at Jupiter Florida the other day- I mean I like golf- but that place is a fucking obscenity
        Last edited by MysteryGuest; 16-05-23, 19:42.
        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
          Was trying to upload a photo of a framed card signed by Seamus Heaney (gift for the brother) He used to enjoy sending out Christmas cards with a poem or message over the years. This one was after his father died.

Dangerous pavements
          But I face the ice this year With my father's stick.
          ​​​​​
          cropped the image so file is under the 2mb limit and it still says it exceeds the limit.

Edit - Eureka!

Got the framing done by Appleton's in Mickey Marbh
          Fantastic job with experienced advice on frame colour, backing and mounting.
          I paid extra for museum glass and it just gives it perfect clarity with minimal reflection and it looks absolutely class.

That's cool to see. It was my dad who published all those one-offs for Seamus over the years - broadsides, Christmas cards, etc. Probably has his name on the back. Most were limited to ~200 max so they're pretty special if you come across them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
            Its the US themselves that said the Patriot was damaged - they think and they need to inspect it more to see how bad the damage is. So 'all 18 weapons' clearly weren't stopped, unless you count 'stopping after exploding after reaching target'.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Its the US themselves that said the Patriot was damaged - they think and they need to inspect it more to see how bad the damage is. So 'all 18 weapons' clearly weren't stopped, unless you count 'stopping after exploding after reaching target'.
              The point of that very short video was that the news isn't useless; shooting down any hypersonic Kinzhals missiles would be a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post

That's cool to see. It was my dad who published all those one-offs for Seamus over the years - broadsides, Christmas cards, etc. Probably has his name on the back. Most were limited to ~200 max so they're pretty special if you come across them.

It does indeed and great to know!

I took a pic of the back of the frame (hope it uploads properly) where there's a description slip that the book shop provided.

Thanks Mr Peter Fallon for your good work.

Attached Files

Comment

Doyle Brunson dies aged 89 - interviewed him twice, once in Bobby's Room.

Professional interviewee. Had more angles than a hectogon.

Comment

The point of that very short video was that the news isn't useless; shooting down any hypersonic Kinzhals missiles would be a big deal.
                    Meh. Who is it big news for? That a kleptocracy managed to deceive themselves that what they had developed was better than it actually was? It's probably at least as significant that the main anti-missile system of NATO is vulnerable to simple radio wave listening. But that wasn't the point.

My point was about the clear lies being peddled about all 18 missiles being intercepted when the very next story says at least one of the missiles landed and damaged a Patriot system. So you'll have people reading this and thinking: well that doesn't make sense. And it's from the same news source! Like, they're not even reading their own stories.

Anyway, my original conclusion was - there's a huge amount of disinformation happening. The Russians are just pure disinformation, and we saw from the US leaks that many Western news stories are blatantly wrong (e.g. about death rates etc). Just looking at land under control is probably likely to be far more informative as it's much harder to disinform about. Plus it saves time!

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                      Went to Shouk in Drumcondra recently. Was really looking forward to it after seeing great reviews and hearing great things but it was pretty poor imo. If I got it from a food truck somewhere for 7 or 8 quid, I'd think wow amazing value but paying 13 quid in a "restaurant" I'd describe as a shack, felt like a bit of a robbery.
                      You mistake was not getting the mezze. The all you can eat in groups is ridiculously good value too, though it's gone from €25 to €35.
                      Some of it did used to be better years ago, the roast aubergine was unreal but maybe my last one was a bad batch! Most of the stuff has gone up in price recently and they've cut back on some things, like replacing the delicious, smoky cauliflower in the mezze with some beetroot lol, while at the same time the price went from €12 to €20 in a couple years.
                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 16-05-23, 20:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

You mistake was not getting the mezze
                        We did, as a starter, and it was pretty average. A big bowl of hummus, just about 1 fork full of the other stuff and a couple of pittas.

Comment

Meh. Who is it big news for? That a kleptocracy managed to deceive themselves that what they had developed was better than it actually was? It's probably at least as significant that the main anti-missile system of NATO is vulnerable to simple radio wave listening. But that wasn't the point.

My point was about the clear lies being peddled about all 18 missiles being intercepted when the very next story says at least one of the missiles landed and damaged a Patriot system. So you'll have people reading this and thinking: well that doesn't make sense. And it's from the same news source! Like, they're not even reading their own stories.

Anyway, my original conclusion was - there's a huge amount of disinformation happening. The Russians are just pure disinformation, and we saw from the US leaks that many Western news stories are blatantly wrong (e.g. about death rates etc). Just looking at land under control is probably likely to be far more informative as it's much harder to disinform about. Plus it saves time!
                          Damage could be from anything; it could be from a rocket being intercepted nearby; it could be caused by the Patriot missiles themselves misfiring, who knows. The stories aren't mutually exclusive. It's unlikely that both stories are completely true, but that's been the case for almost all reporting on any subject since the dawn of time!

The Kinzhals and their capabilities are big news for people interested military technology; only a handful of them have been used so far, so even the fact they fired so many is big news. The Falklands war was over 40 years ago, and the word Exocet is still in common parlance.

“If [he] thinks he can just walk in and take West Bromwich Albion's manager, I'll be down that motorway in my car like an Exocet to blow up his bloody computers.”

Comment

This is probably not all that surprising really but still...

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              This is probably not all that surprising really but still...
                              If it was true it would make him more popular than ever, except for the Clinton bit maybe.
                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

So what would you advise the general public to do to prepare for this new world. Plenty of young uns to advise

Comment

56/846 in the $22 triple draw SCOOP for a treble up. Nicely timed exit for a school night. 2-7 is such a class game. 2/2 in SCOOPing...Gonna be away for the last 8 game event which is annoying

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                    So what would you advise the general public to do to prepare for this new world. Plenty of young uns to advise
                                    Screenshot 2023-05-16 160025.png

Comment

I wanna hear Fron John Kannar not Hal

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                        56/846 in the $22 triple draw SCOOP for a treble up. Nicely timed exit for a school night. 2-7 is such a class game. 2/2 in SCOOPing...Gonna be away for the last 8 game event which is annoying
                                        Not sure if many of ye know the rules of 27, but this is definitely the daftest hand I've ever seen in years of playing it. A 44 big bet pot won with the 19th nuts:

Delorez (UTG): 31,075 (52 bb)
                                        TheScholar1 (MP): 28,550 (48 bb)
                                        stuuga (CO): 18,600 (31 bb)
                                        Jacpot555 (BU): 53,025 (88 bb)
                                        BabyWhaleee (SB): 14,800 (25 bb)
                                        lulek93 (BB): 48,400 (81 bb)

Deal: (900) Hero (TheScholar1) is MP with T♣ 9♦ K♥ 8♦ 7♠
                                        Delorez (UTG) calls 600, TheScholar1 (MP) folds, stuuga (CO) raises to 1,200, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 1,200, BabyWhaleee (SB) 3-bets to 1,800, lulek93 (BB) calls 1,200, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200, stuuga (CO) calls 600, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 600

Draw One: (9,000) (5 players)
                                        BabyWhaleee (SB) draws 2, lulek93 (BB) draws 1, Delorez (UTG) draws 3, stuuga (CO) draws 3, Jacpot555 (BU) draws 2

BabyWhaleee (SB) bets 600, lulek93 (BB) calls 600, Delorez (UTG) calls 600, stuuga (CO) raises to 1,200, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 1,200, BabyWhaleee (SB) raises to 1,800, lulek93 (BB) folds, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200, stuuga (CO) raises to 2,400, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 1,200, BabyWhaleee (SB) calls 600, Delorez (UTG) calls 600

Draw Two: (19,200) (4 players)
                                        BabyWhaleee (SB) draws 1, Delorez (UTG) draws 1, stuuga (CO) stands pat, Jacpot555 (BU) draws 1

BabyWhaleee (SB) bets 1,200, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200, stuuga (CO) raises to 2,400, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 2,400, BabyWhaleee (SB) raises to 3,600, Delorez (UTG) calls 2,400, stuuga (CO) raises to 4,800, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 2,400, BabyWhaleee (SB) calls 1,200, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200

Draw Three: (38,400) (4 players)
                                        BabyWhaleee (SB) draws 1, Delorez (UTG) stands pat, stuuga (CO) stands pat, Jacpot555 (BU) draws 1

BabyWhaleee (SB) bets 1,200, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200, stuuga (CO) raises to 2,400, Jacpot555 (BU) folds, BabyWhaleee (SB) raises to 3,600, Delorez (UTG) calls 2,400, stuuga (CO) raises to 4,800, BabyWhaleee (SB) calls 1,200, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200

Total pot: 52,800

Showdown:
                                        stuuga (CO) shows 8♣ 5♣ A♦ 7♥ 6♠ (A-8-7-6-5)
                                        BabyWhaleee (SB) shows 5♦ 2♥ 6♣ 7♣ 8♠ (8-7-6-5-2)
                                        Delorez (UTG) mucks 3♣ 7♦ 2♠ 6♦ 9♥ (9-7-6-3-2)
                                        BabyWhaleee (SB) wins 52,800

Comment

Not sure if many of ye know the rules of 27, but this is definitely the daftest hand I've ever seen in years of playing it. A 44 big bet pot won with the 19th nuts:

Delorez (UTG): 31,075 (52 bb)
                                          TheScholar1 (MP): 28,550 (48 bb)
                                          stuuga (CO): 18,600 (31 bb)
                                          Jacpot555 (BU): 53,025 (88 bb)
                                          BabyWhaleee (SB): 14,800 (25 bb)
                                          lulek93 (BB): 48,400 (81 bb)

Deal: (900) Hero (TheScholar1) is MP with T♣ 9♦ K♥ 8♦ 7♠
                                          Delorez (UTG) calls 600, TheScholar1 (MP) folds, stuuga (CO) raises to 1,200, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 1,200, BabyWhaleee (SB) 3-bets to 1,800, lulek93 (BB) calls 1,200, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200, stuuga (CO) calls 600, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 600

Draw One: (9,000) (5 players)
                                          BabyWhaleee (SB) draws 2, lulek93 (BB) draws 1, Delorez (UTG) draws 3, stuuga (CO) draws 3, Jacpot555 (BU) draws 2

BabyWhaleee (SB) bets 600, lulek93 (BB) calls 600, Delorez (UTG) calls 600, stuuga (CO) raises to 1,200, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 1,200, BabyWhaleee (SB) raises to 1,800, lulek93 (BB) folds, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200, stuuga (CO) raises to 2,400, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 1,200, BabyWhaleee (SB) calls 600, Delorez (UTG) calls 600

Draw Two: (19,200) (4 players)
                                          BabyWhaleee (SB) draws 1, Delorez (UTG) draws 1, stuuga (CO) stands pat, Jacpot555 (BU) draws 1

BabyWhaleee (SB) bets 1,200, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200, stuuga (CO) raises to 2,400, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 2,400, BabyWhaleee (SB) raises to 3,600, Delorez (UTG) calls 2,400, stuuga (CO) raises to 4,800, Jacpot555 (BU) calls 2,400, BabyWhaleee (SB) calls 1,200, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200

Draw Three: (38,400) (4 players)
                                          BabyWhaleee (SB) draws 1, Delorez (UTG) stands pat, stuuga (CO) stands pat, Jacpot555 (BU) draws 1

BabyWhaleee (SB) bets 1,200, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200, stuuga (CO) raises to 2,400, Jacpot555 (BU) folds, BabyWhaleee (SB) raises to 3,600, Delorez (UTG) calls 2,400, stuuga (CO) raises to 4,800, BabyWhaleee (SB) calls 1,200, Delorez (UTG) calls 1,200

Total pot: 52,800

Showdown:
                                          stuuga (CO) shows 8♣ 5♣ A♦ 7♥ 6♠ (A-8-7-6-5)
                                          BabyWhaleee (SB) shows 5♦ 2♥ 6♣ 7♣ 8♠ (8-7-6-5-2)
                                          Delorez (UTG) mucks 3♣ 7♦ 2♠ 6♦ 9♥ (9-7-6-3-2)
                                          BabyWhaleee (SB) wins 52,800
                                          Move up levels

Comment

Chat GPT, please trim this 330 word abstract down to 250 words......sure!....That's 275 words....oh, sorry here it is again.....That's more than last time at 287......Oh, you're right, here it is again....205 words...computer out the window.

Comment

damnit, I all this talk of scoop is making me want to play. Can anyone send me €300 on stars? I can send back revolut or bank transfer.

Comment

Sure....apparently you can pay using my ID at revolut.me/robert5tiz.

What's your Stars username?

Comment

Chat GPT, please trim this 330 word abstract down to 250 words......sure!....That's 275 words....oh, sorry here it is again.....That's more than last time at 287......Oh, you're right, here it is again....205 words...computer out the window.
                                                  GPT models can't count! I wonder could you use the Wolfram Alpha plugin to have it regularly check the length using len(abstract) and then adjust accordingly? Although that seems far too complicated tbh. Alternatively what you could do, from personal painful experience is to ask it something like - taking the 275 words as an example "thanks, keep almost exactly the same abstract except take out about 25 words out of it. That smaller task and the reangling towards what to take away (25 words) rather than what to write (250 words) should get it in the right direction.

Comment

Is Jim Delaney still active?

Starting out at poker he felt a bit like the local Doyle Brunson.

Comment

GPT models can't count! I wonder could you use the Wolfram Alpha plugin to have it regularly check the length using len(abstract) and then adjust accordingly? Although that seems far too complicated tbh. Alternatively what you could do, from personal painful experience is to ask it something like - taking the 275 words as an example "thanks, keep almost exactly the same abstract except take out about 25 words out of it. That smaller task and the reangling towards what to take away (25 words) rather than what to write (250 words) should get it in the right direction.
                                                      As with everything I've tried to use it for so far, it was easier to just do it myself!

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                        Went to Shouk in Drumcondra recently. Was really looking forward to it after seeing great reviews and hearing great things but it was pretty poor imo. If I got it from a food truck somewhere for 7 or 8 quid, I'd think wow amazing value but paying 13 quid in a "restaurant" I'd describe as a shack, felt like a bit of a robbery.
                                                        Surprised at that. It's been a while since I was there last and admittingly, inside is a bit 'rustic' but the food was excellent last time and very good value for what we got, albeit, that was probably 9-12 months ago now

Comment

No posts since 6pm yesterday?

Comment

I've signed up for a ChatGPT hackathon for this weekend. https://partiful.com/e/gTlVyEEGGJ1KZtRHw8hk Main doubt is the social aspect - guess you just turn up and speeddate to meet some teammates to work with?

Comment

The British press is brutal. Trying now to dissect the Harry and Meghan car chase and work out 'if it really was a car chase': https://news.sky.com/story/harry-and...s-out-12883335

I don't know, but I'm guessing that if your actual mother was killed in a paparazzi car chase when you were a little kid then maybe you might be slightly prone to nervousness in anything resembling a paparazzi car chase and its not quite about dissecting the mechanics of whether it was a technical car chase or not.

Comment

The British press is brutal. Trying now to dissect the Harry and Meghan car chase and work out 'if it really was a car chase': https://news.sky.com/story/harry-and...s-out-12883335

I don't know, but I'm guessing that if your actual mother was killed in a paparazzi car chase when you were a little kid then maybe you might be slightly prone to nervousness in anything resembling a paparazzi car chase and its not quite about dissecting the mechanics of whether it was a technical car chase or not.
                                                                I have relatively few views on either of them, but it seems to me that if you don't want media attention, then you shouldn't constantly seem to court media attention.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I have relatively few views on either of them, but it seems to me that if you don't want media attention, then you shouldn't constantly seem to court media attention.
                                                                  I think its reasonably okay to not want (1) your phone hacked, (2) lies told about you, and (3) a clearly racist agenda towards your wife, even if you are in the public eye.

Comment

I think its reasonably okay to not want (1) your phone hacked, (2) lies told about you, and (3) a clearly racist agenda towards your wife, even if you are in the public eye.
                                                                    I’d have a big doubt that it was as dangerous and ‘catastrophic’ as was described.

Even if it was then they clearly contributed to it by running away so fervently from people looking for a few pictures of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I’d have a big doubt that it was as dangerous and ‘catastrophic’ as was described.

Even if it was then they clearly contributed to it by running away so fervently from people looking for a few pictures of them.
                                                                      But you would also be vastly more sensitive to something even approaching that situation if your own mother had died in similar circumstances when you were 12 years old.

Comment

The absolute state of the anti immigration imbeciles in Clare.
                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

That has nothing to do with the supposed 2 hour high speed car chase (that seemed to be contradicted by numerous others).

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                            The absolute state of the anti immigration imbeciles in Clare.
                                                                            I don't even get what their supposed totally non-racist arguments are? They say they are protesting because it isn't a suitable venue, as if they are concerned for the people staying in the hotel itself. That seems somewhat unlikely I must say.

Comment

But you would also be vastly more sensitive to something even approaching that situation if your own mother had died in similar circumstances when you were 12 years old.
                                                                              Yeah we all probably have these irrational things that affect us in some way.

But irrational all the same.

Comment

I don't even get what their supposed totally non-racist arguments are? They say they are protesting because it isn't a suitable venue, as if they are concerned for the people staying in the hotel itself. That seems somewhat unlikely I must say.
                                                                                Ask them do they care about sexual assault on women instead.

Then ask them why they're not blocking the gates to Doonbeg.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Ask them do they care about sexual assault on women instead.

Then ask them why they're not blocking the gates to Doonbeg.
                                                                                  Oh I'm fairly sure I could give some of the real reasons, but not the official, public interest ones they are seeming ly worried about.

Comment

Music King Semi Finals are up:

Welcome to the first semi final of music king! Two genres this time: Electronica (we'll try this again, no aphex twin) 90s Pop One free pick Player 1 Dig your Own Hole was such a seismic commercial success, had singles that were played so repeatedly and used so extensively by films / ads - that it’s easy to overlook /

Rock and Roll Pop (this century, i.e. 2000+) One Free Pick Player 1 Cream-Sunshine Of Your Love. Really wanted to pick some Jimi Hendrix but thought people would think it an "unoriginal" choice..so next best thing. Song was developed by leader singer and basist after attending a Hendrix concert. Unbelievable riff.

Comment

or indeed if you are currently taking a case to be given 24/7 paid security for your family which was removed.

one might even say the timing has proven very convenient for them.
                                                                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

We used to be told "because he was chasing me" was not an acceptable answer to "why were you running in the schoolyard". If you don't want to be in high speed chases just drive slower.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                          We used to be told "because he was chasing me" was not an acceptable answer to "why were you running in the schoolyard". If you don't want to be in high speed chases just drive slower.
                                                                                          I’d even argue that there was more cause for running in the schoolyard as if caught you might get a kick in the nads or something.

Here, you got a Nikon pointed at you.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

or indeed if you are currently taking a case to be given 24/7 paid security for your family which was removed.

one might even say the timing has proven very convenient for them.
                                                                                            1) It was a disclosure within the case itself
                                                                                            2) They aren't looking for paid security - they are looking for the ability to pay it themselves

Comment

1) It was a disclosure within the case itself
                                                                                              2) They aren't looking for paid security - they are looking for the ability to pay it themselves
                                                                                              What do you mean by 2? Surely they either have the ability or not. What does looking for the ability mean?

Comment

That has nothing to do with the supposed 2 hour high speed car chase (that seemed to be contradicted by numerous others).
                                                                                                I'm not sure. If you look at who is saying it happened and who is saying it didn't happen, it doesn't seem like an even comparison. People saying it wasn't as bad as it seems are (1) a taxi driver who wasn't part of the 'chase', but was subsequently giving a lift, and (2) the paparazzi - but even they aren't fully denying it.

While the New York mayor, based on the police reports he received says:

New York's mayor Eric Adams has said two police officers could have been injured as they assisted Harry and Meghan's private security team while their car was being followed.

He added: "Public safety must always be at the forefront. In a briefing I received [I heard] two of our officers could have been injured... I don't think there's many of us who don't recall how [Harry's] mum died.

"It would be horrific to lose the innocent bystander during a chase like this and something to have happened to them as well."

The UK coverage, once again, seems to have this fairly awful perspective.

Comment

What do you mean by 2? Surely they either have the ability or not. What does looking for the ability mean?
                                                                                                  The case is because they have been refused permission to pay for police security, something which they feel is allowed by the law. They don't think there is the same level of security in private security options. It doesn't seem unreasonable given that the primary reason for the risks he faces are because of his inherited role in British society (which also comes with massive advantages, hence the paying for it themselves part.

Harry has offered to pay the Metropolitan Police for protecting him in his new life as a non-working royal after he was told he would no longer be given the “same degree” of personal protective security when visiting the UK.

At a preliminary hearing, which will determine whether the matter goes forward for full trial, his lawyers argued that the Police Act 1996 clearly allowed for private individuals to pay for special policing services.

They said that by denying Harry’s request in 2021, the Royal and VIP Executive Committee (Ravec) exceeded its power and acted unreasonably.

Comment

I honestly haven't read all that much on the whole story, despite appearances to the contrary!

Comment

The case is because they have been refused permission to pay for police security, something which they feel is allowed by the law. They don't think there is the same level of security in private security options. It doesn't seem unreasonable given that the primary reason for the risks he faces are because of his inherited role in British society (which also comes with massive advantages, hence the paying for it themselves part.

Pfft, i’m sure there are plenty of elite private security firms out there who’d take his money and protect him just fine

Comment

Pfft, i’m sure there are plenty of elite private security firms out there who’d take his money and protect him just fine
                                                                                                        and they do, but in certain circumstances, police security is at a different level because they have powers that no one else does.

Comment

I honestly haven't read all that much on the whole story, despite appearances to the contrary!
                                                                                                          I feel the same way about this as I did about the Paddy Jackson trial

i.e. everyone involved is an idiot.

Comment

Quite amazing Twitter thread on writers' thoughts about a new AI writing tool - https://twitter.com/jamesjyu/status/1658933765824192512

It's amazing seeing this sort of thing first-hand, like getting a front-row seat at the dawn of the luddites.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Hectorjelly; 18-05-23, 13:25.

Comment

All fun and games till it comes for 'my' job

I think there is a really telling few minutes in Elon's interview yesterday when he is asked about given the fact AI will likely take over most jobs what would he tell kids to study. It takes him forever to answer and he just ends up saying that is a really tough question with no obvious answer other than to make sure you are doing something you truly are passionate about,

In the middle of it, he talks about how he thinks more and more about if AI goes where he thinks it will in the coming years if all the work he is doing now is a waste of time, and if he is currently using the time really badly when it could be spent doing more enjoyable things

He uses this exact line - "I have to suspend disbelief to keep motivated to continue working . . . ."

Edit - Found the clip.

Last edited by Opr; 18-05-23, 15:09.

Comment

Only just realised that Ronald De Wolfe is part of the family behind De Wolfe Music

Comment

Beautiful

SPOILER
                                                                                                                  The reddit thread trying to work it out suggested that eigenvalue means self-worth in Dutch, and then its interpreting the negative eigenvalue to reach that conclusion. Also maybe that the user instruction 'use latex' equates with some form of latex poisoning, a slightly unusual but real form of self-harming.

2f6m941bjj0b1.png

Comment

Quite amazing Twitter thread on writers' thoughts about a new AI writing tool - https://twitter.com/jamesjyu/status/1658933765824192512

It's amazing seeing this sort of thing first-hand, like getting a front-row seat at the dawn of the luddites.
                                                                                                                    I laughed pretty hard as I was reading down through the thread which is full of hate towards the maker of the product like saying he is the devil and this is his work.

My personal fav

You are a traitor to the human race.
                                                                                                                    Then you just have this lone person out here like listen I don't write and I need you to make this better for blogs

I’ve been using this the past month to help write posts for a food blog because I am not a writer, and it’s really helpful but sometimes gives inconsistent results. I’m going to keep using it though, would like for it to be better for blog post form and style though.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scorsese
                                                                                                                      I’m old. I read stuff. I see things. I want to tell stories, and there’s no more time. Kurosawa, when he got his Oscar, when George [Lucas] and Steven [Spielberg] gave it to him, he said, “I’m only now beginning to see the possibility of what cinema could be, and it’s too late.” He was 83. At the time, I said, “What does he mean?” Now I know what he means.
                                                                                                                      On "Killers of the Flower Moon"

Originally posted by Martin Scorsese
                                                                                                                      I say to the audience out there, if there is an audience for this kind of thing, ‘Make a commitment. Your life might be enriched. This is a different kind of picture; I really think it is. Well, I’ve given it to you, so hey, commit to going to a theater to see this.’ Spending the evening, or the afternoon with this picture, with this story, with these people, with this world that reflects on the world we are in today, more so than we might realize.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

On "Killers of the Flower Moon"

This looks amazing, I can't wait.

Comment

Originally it was the lack of a fire cert which lasted until the fire cert for the buildings in use was produced so now apparently it's what's known in the local vernacular as 'Min', "There are too many single Min", "We don't want any Min here in Clare, I'm scared for my daughters" (That woman was actually sobbing as she said that ... WtAF )
                                                                                                                          It's comical, Imagine the outrage if someone was to say "Wimmin, we don't any single Wimmin corrupting our sons"
                                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X