This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Nice man alright. For some reason I had it in my head that he passed years ago. I'd say if I was to go back 20 years when I started playing poker there would be a long list of people who were regulars then who aren't around today, I can think of a lot off the top of my head even.

If I went back playing, I'd be the old guy now probably.
    Not quite there yet Dom

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Not quite there yet Dom
      Nearer to 60 than 30. Firmly ensconced in middle age.

Comment

I see Christy Smith passed . Irish poker legend and Fitz chipstack demolition expert. Nice man , he smiled innocently as he contrived to destroy your ambitions at the apparent 'soft' table.
        Wasn't Christy Willow Connolly's father? I think Christy's wife Marie also used to play in the Fitz from time to time as well if memory serves. I could definitely be getting people mixed up there though, but I think it's right.

Comment

Wasn't Christy Willow Connolly's father? I think Christy's wife Marie also used to play in the Fitz from time to time as well if memory serves. I could definitely be getting people mixed up there though, but I think it's right.
          Think you got it all right there old timer

Comment

The missus is off to it tonight im not a huge fan but LOVE this.

Comment

Heading in myself with the bro....I am excite!

Great song that

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Cheer Dobby. Exactly what I’m looking for planning/guest experience as were basically going to have to pull the trigger without seeing the venue in person.
                Tankardstown was on the list, crossed it off but can’t remember why.

Thanks. Was groomsman there two years ago. W it’ll have same lads at my table so probably need to switch it up. Agree it’s class, and exactly what I have in mind with the old buildings and separate bar.
                Haven’t nailed down a budget yet. And no idea what to expect to pay per head tbh. But starting to suspect a kick in the bollox is incoming.

Every venue usually has a selection of menu's and each is priced differently. Salmon/Chicken for main is cheapest, Beef/Cod is middle road and Lamb/Monkfish is highest price for example - and some will even allow you mix/match - The food and booze will always be the biggest cost and there is usually an element of gentle haggling/negotiating if doing a mix/match option (or at least there was, maybe times have changed) plus if there is an option to bring your own wine in, that can help with cost.

Planning is key and without wanting to suck the joy out of the best day of your life, lists/spreadsheets, etc to keep track of everything from guest lists to costs, etc is crucial as there is so many other expenses and things to think of. That said, there is a lot of gimmicky stuff that seems to have crept in lately that can be cut out - things like wedding favour bags are pointless to me and we ditched them.

We only had 120 guests 4 years ago and we did everything in the one location (country estate house) from night before nuptials, to drink reception to dinner, etc and we got out of it for just over 40K. We could have gone with cheaper options of food and booze but that was one area we didn't want to scrimp on.

I don't envy you organising a wedding in Ireland from Oz, we visited loads of wedding venues, not to mention the amount of wedding bands we went to see plus all the other running around but it really helped us get everything the way we wanted it.

And for all the lads who missus took control and didn't let them have a say in it - Ye need to grow a pair
                Last edited by Lao Lao; 09-05-23, 12:48.

Comment

Keane - 2022 En Primeur's have started to drop and are picking up pace - Drop me a PM if you want to go through anything on them.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Not too forget the group exit strategy when you run into bunny boiler stalker types
                    Every man for himself. Leave the wounded.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I got married in financial crisis times where places were crying out for business. We went with the first place we visited, which offered a package of space for ceremony, dinner, flowers, cake, photographer, band, DJ, wedding car, and an apartment for a week in Portugal if you wanted it, all taken care of by them where we just picked an option from a few choices in each case. Minimal hassle. Would recommend.

Comment

Is there anywhere that displays 85 inch tvs around Dublin? I just want a big shit budget tv as I'll be quite far from it, but want to make sure it's not too shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                          Keane - 2022 En Primeur's have started to drop and are picking up pace - Drop me a PM if you want to go through anything on them.
                          Any short tips for beginners?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                            Is there anywhere that displays 85 inch tvs around Dublin? I just want a big shit budget tv as I'll be quite far from it, but want to make sure it's not too shit.
                            Power City maybe?
                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Female colleague upon seeing a family photo from this weekend:

'God, your wife is very young'.

I assume this means she thinks I am old and decrepit. Or else am playing above my level. Or both.

Not good either way although did relay the comment to Mrs D3 and she was delighted so at least somebody got mileage out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Is that his fault?

My personal memory of wedding planning is that I was only asked for an opinion
                                after the decision had been irrevocably taken
                                and my role was to rubber stamp said decision.
                                As it happens it was and in fairness to him it took some balls from him.

Long story short; they were living with us for a few years through covid and while they were building a house, no fixed plans beyond finishing the house and getting out from under my feet.
                                One day over a year ago he started a conversation with me that had me struggling to keep a straight face as I thought he was heading towards asking me for permission to marry her. Instead it took a weird turn when he told me he had paid a deposit on a wedding venue and booked the church. I Lol'd out loud and asked him if maybe he wanted to discuss it with her first? No, he says, I'll propose to her when we move into the house... in about 6 - 12 months time.
                                Knowing No 2 Daughter as I do he's a brave man as IMO it was a flip as to whether she'd freak out but he was sure she'd be delighted with the fait accompli and not having to think about it. Fair play to him he got away with it.
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Heading in myself with the bro....I am excite!

Great song that
                                  Was there on Sunday, what a show!

I'd only seen him play with the Seeger Sessions Band before and never with the E Street band. Was blown away by the whole event, the band were amazing, the sound and video production were excellent, the crowd and their interaction made for an absolutely joyous occasion. As for the man himself I think maybe the secret to the whole thing is that at any Bruce Springsteen gig there is no one having more fun than Bruce Springsteen.
                                  Regret now all the gigs I didn't take the chance to go to over the years and am quite jealous of anyone there now.
                                  10/10

Comment

Chances of a criminal case to follow now that Don has been convicted of sexual assault in a civil one?

And then chances that it makes a blind bit of difference to him?

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                      Chances of a criminal case to follow now that Don has been convicted of sexual assault in a civil one?

Zero to the first question.

'TBC' to the second. Let's see if the notion of a rapist as president moves any dials in the GOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Think most of his fans would be a little disappointed that he was sexually assaulting someone so old.
                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Eurovision carnage
                                          Ireland fail to qualify
                                          Shocking carry on in Liverpool

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I'd only seen him play with the Seeger Sessions Band before and never with the E Street band. Was blown away by the whole event, the band were amazing, the sound and video production were excellent, the crowd and their interaction made for an absolutely joyous occasion. As for the man himself I think maybe the secret to the whole thing is that at any Bruce Springsteen gig there is no one having more fun than Bruce Springsteen.
                                            Regret now all the gigs I didn't take the chance to go to over the years and am quite jealous of anyone there now.
                                            10/10

Missus hasnt shut up about the gig tonight . I now know every song played.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

10/10

Great gig . ..started a bit slow but just ramped up and up.
                                              I was joking with the bro that half the crowd would be in A and E tomorrow with back complaints but there was a really good mix. Fantastic to see young uns bopping away and singing along to Thunder Road and Johnny 99 etc.
                                              It's gas I was their age more or less back in 85 for the Slane gig. Same happy vibe then and now.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                Eurovision carnage
                                                Ireland fail to qualify
                                                Shocking carry on in Liverpool
                                                The song was horrific what did they expect. We are going backwards . The injustice shite is as embarrassing as that souless tune. The band itself were just terrible. Can anyone name a decent song in the past 20 years . The tastebuds of the general public is baffling . The runner up in the national contest was way better .

Comment

The song was horrific what did they expect. We are going backwards . The injustice shite is as embarrassing as that souless tune. The band itself were just terrible. Can anyone name a decent song in the past 20 years . The tastebuds of the general public is baffling . The runner up in the national contest was way better .
                                                  Ah heyor

i said carnage not a rant
                                                  in fairness all of what u say is correct
                                                  Give Kenny Rogers a go in next years event , he’ll come back from the dead

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Zero to the first question.

'TBC' to the second. Let's see if the notion of a rapist as president moves any dials in the GOP.
                                                    I think you know that it'll make zero difference to him politically except perhaps to make his base more rabid and idiotic. I'd imagine the group of people who were reluctantly voting for Trump that decide this was the straw that broke the camels back is vanishingly small.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                      Next music king up:

Tough genre- blues wouldn’t necessarily be heavy on my rotation - lots of blues rock and other stuff inspired by blues but decided I’d stick to the real deal for this- came across this and it blew away a lot of what I had been considering- just the raw talent on display here - such a riff https://youtu.be/K_DOnKJ232M

Yesterday's round is still open:

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...-instrumentals

Today's round 2: electronia
                                                      Aphex Twin #3 / Rhubarb from Selected Ambient Works Vol 2. Unbelievable album, but this one always sticks out to me. So much depth to this song. One to listen to while watching the sun come up, after a heavy night. Seeing him in Bristol in September, can't wait. https://youtu.be/_AWIqXzvX-U "Fontaines DC A Hero's Death

Comment

Sure for years the likes of Linda Martin and Twink (?) were making the decision of what song was chosen. They were picking a song based on what did well 20 years previous though.

I have close to 0 interest in the whole debacle but i’d say if you put a montage of all our entries of the last 10-15 years together, the majority would sound the same, just yer 3 verse, 3 minute, monotone ditty that nobody would expect to chart well but somehow think it can win a song contest.

Comment

Female colleague upon seeing a family photo from this weekend:

'God, your wife is very young'.

I assume this means she thinks I am old and decrepit. Or else am playing above my level. Or both.

Not good either way although did relay the comment to Mrs D3 and she was delighted so at least somebody got mileage out of it.
                                                          You know the drill

Comment

Don't think he was Willow's dad, his son Jim used to run a good few poker events alright.

Maybe he was an uncle or something to Willow though as it does kinda ring a bell.
                                                            Last edited by Dice75; 10-05-23, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Don't think he was Willow's dad, his son Jim used to run a good few poker events alright.

Maybe he was an uncle or something to Willow though as it does kinda ring a bell.
                                                              Looking at the rip.ie death notice you seem to be right, unless Willow's real name is Christine or Annmarie. It's one of those things that I have in my head, but can't be sure that it was right. I'm fairly sure Willow;s dad did play poker, but if it's not Christy then I don't know who it is.

Edit: Found this article about Willow and her mother Jenny Hegarty. I was definitely wrong about her parentage then. https://www.partypoker.com/blog/en/w...rish-open.html
                                                              Last edited by 6starpool; 10-05-23, 11:34.

Comment

Any short tips for beginners?

Do you have a budget or quantity of wine you would like to buy?
                                                                For drinking now or putting aside for a few years or both?
                                                                Any particular wines you would like to get?

All the above helps dictate what to do/get - Thee is a very large selection of wines at various price points from €13 a bottle to €800 a bottle so there is lots of choices

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                  Irish Eurovision peaked here.

True but surely this is our top moment.

Comment

This song was 2nd on the LLS . Would have done better imo

Comment

Garda driver to face prosecution over incident in which three men died in N7 collision

dunno what to make of that but hopefully the families of the bereaved shitstains don’t get a fucking cent
                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                        Garda driver to face prosecution over incident in which three men died in N7 collision

dunno what to make of that but hopefully the families of the bereaved shitstains don’t get a fucking cent
                                                                        Ya, that's pretty frustrating stuff. The only thing I can think of is that there is a general garda directive not to pursue suspects through traffic because of safety issues, and he was judged to have caused them to take those actions to try to get away. They were absolute robbing scum who are no loss to society though. I feel sorry for the lorry driver they crashed into in that situation.

Comment

He was too gud for dis wurdled

Comment

Ya, that's pretty frustrating stuff. The only thing I can think of is that there is a general garda directive not to pursue suspects through traffic because of safety issues, and he was judged to have caused them to take those actions to try to get away. They were absolute robbing scum who are no loss to society though. I feel sorry for the lorry driver they crashed into in that situation.
                                                                            If he caused it he's a hero.
                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                              A mate sent me his wedding list from his wedding last year. Venue, bands, the shit you might forget. I haven’t even started and my head is melted. This will be a pain in the ass to organise from here.

Agreed to ditch the church instantly, screw what the oldies care. But probably limits venue options.
                                                                              Any recommendations for venues in the Meath/Louth/Border area. I only know mate’s weddings I’ve been to.
                                                                              I got married here.
                                                                              A few IPBers were there, much fun was had.

Holy fuck they seem to have become a lot more polished in the last 8 years!
                                                                              Was a bit more happy go lucky back when I did it
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

SF IRA solicitor sucking the tit

Comment

Crazy that we were only talking about something like this in the thread a few weeks back and it's already a reality.

Google showcasing tonight a new translation tool that redubs video in a new language while also synchronizing the speaker’s lips with words as if they said it in that language.

Comment

One odd anecdote about the case. There is a solicitor who has an unfortunate famous fictional namesake James MacGuill (Saul Goodman).

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                      Crazy that we were only talking about something like this in the thread a few weeks back and it's already a reality.

Google showcasing tonight a new translation tool that redubs video in a new language while also synchronizing the speaker’s lips with words as if they said it in that language.

I refuse to be impressed by any of it unless it figures out a way to reverse climate change and tap into free energy/resources and solves world peace.

until then google and the rest can get fucked.
                                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I refuse to be impressed by any of it unless it figures out a way to reverse climate change and tap into free energy/resources and solves world peace.

Microsoft Bets That Fusion Power Is Closer Than Many Think - (Archive link if that doesn't work)

Free energy and a utopia for all to look forward to then

Interestingly someone just today pulled up Stephens Hawings' answers from a Q and A he did on Reddit many years back but I am not sure much has changed.

Comment

I wouldn't worry. This stuff won't affect you.

Reminds me of how people tried to scaremonger us as kids about peak oil and wars over water, and how we were all gonna get cancer from the hole in the ozone layer.

Comment

Reminds me of how people tried to scaremonger us as kids about peak oil and wars over water, and how we were all gonna get cancer from the hole in the ozone layer.
                                                                                            AIPROGRESS.jpg

Comment

The world was on course for a disaster over the ozone but managed to get together and do what was necessary to avert it. Had noone worried about it it would have been a huge problem.

A global agreement in 1987 to ban chemicals harming the ozone layer is working, scientists say.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

The world was on course for a disaster over the ozone but managed to get together and do what was necessary to avert it. Had noone worried about it it would have been a huge problem.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-64215660
                                                                                                I know.

The world have fixed every decades upcoming disaster via tech and international agreements.

I didn't say no one should worry about it, I said mystery guest shouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I see everyone's favourite president did a town hall on CNN last night. Seems like Trump v2.0 is exactly the same as 1.0.

I would imagine, although they can't say it out loud, Democrats are secretly delighted. Trump will be backed into a corner where he has to support extreme anti-abortion positions and bye, bye suburban women and hence the election.

Comment

i'm confident we will evolve with AI and that for some it will unlock greater sparks of creativity and reset us back on the path that the geniuses of the past set us on before the blip of recent years . Perhaps the AI is the new renaissance . Hoping im young enough to marvel at it as it develops.

Comment

glad they changed those laws in the UK after a similar incident a few years ago. now they still have to try and minimise risk, but at least it's fair game and they can bump and nudge and go after them properly if required.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

glad they changed those laws in the UK after a similar incident a few years ago. now they still have to try and minimise risk, but at least it's fair game and they can bump and nudge and go after them properly if required.
                                                                                                        Ya, it's too far weighted in favour of the scrotes.

Comment

In an unfortunate piece of timing I won't be around for Eurovision. Having my yearly exposure to Spanish culture in Benidorm.
                                                                                                          So won't be able to do my usual Eurovision do badly thingy.
                                                                                                          However, luckforsome has graciously agreed to organise it this year when the all the countries are known.
                                                                                                          Be gentle with him.

Comment

I see everyone's favourite president did a town hall on CNN last night. Seems like Trump v2.0 is exactly the same as 1.0.

I would imagine, although they can't say it out loud, Democrats are secretly delighted. Trump will be backed into a corner where he has to support extreme anti-abortion positions and bye, bye suburban women and hence the election.
                                                                                                            I've had plenty of ex-colleagues from the bible belt. Whatever about swing voters, the core red vote won't flip. The brigade will trot out the familiar refrain of "I know he's x, y and z.....but I'm a Republican so y'know...". If you were to question them about why they're a Republican, what it means to be one or what would make them change their vote, you get a variety of responses. The usual family vote, we're just Republicans historically and that's who we are. The group who speak about the bible, my beliefs, my values and children. Then there are the dems want to take our "freedom" (guns) and choices gang. All the way to the group you really don't want to engage with. It starts with talking about PC, LGBTQ brainwashing, then diversity ruining their country to "them immigrants" and you really have gone too far on that conversation already.

The deviation in identity and ideology is just so innately ingrained in who you are. Us vs Them and barely a thought to the contrary. Even if Trump is in jail it's going to be close enough as always, hopefully with Joey from Ballina making it back into the hotseat without too much fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                              In an unfortunate piece of timing I won't be around for Eurovision. Having my yearly exposure to Spanish culture in Benidorm.
                                                                                                              So won't be able to do my usual Eurovision do badly thingy.
                                                                                                              However, luckforsome has graciously agreed to organise it this year when the all the countries are known.
                                                                                                              Be gentle with him.
                                                                                                              Chap absolutely loves a spreadsheet. He'll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I've had plenty of ex-colleagues from the bible belt. Whatever about swing voters, the core red vote won't flip. The brigade will trot out the familiar refrain of "I know he's x, y and z.....but I'm a Republican so y'know...". If you were to question them about why they're a Republican, what it means to be one or what would make them change their vote, you get a variety of responses. The usual family vote, we're just Republicans historically and that's who we are. The group who speak about the bible, my beliefs, my values and children. Then there are the dems want to take our "freedom" (guns) and choices gang. All the way to the group you really don't want to engage with. It starts with talking about PC, LGBTQ brainwashing, then diversity ruining their country to "them immigrants" and you really have gone too far on that conversation already.

The deviation in identity and ideology is just so innately ingrained in who you are. Us vs Them and barely a thought to the contrary. Even if Trump is in jail it's going to be close enough as always, hopefully with Joey from Ballina making it back into the hotseat without too much fuss.
                                                                                                                Yeah. Politically, everyone seems so entrenched and it doesn't matter what the facts are.

As someone rather acutely observed recently "it's (the political polarization) gotten to the point where you can deny the fucking weather".

Comment

Collected my Dad's clothes from the launderette earlier today and somehow walked in on a full on rant about Transgender people

I should point out that that the three aul ones who run the launderette are genuinely lovely people but one of them was in full on rant mode today

'I've no problem with the gays, or the drag queens, some of the drag queens are gay, some aren't, some just do it for the entertainment. In America, you can change your sex when you are two years old but you can't get married until you are 18 and you can't drink until you are 21, that's just madness. And there is no way, I'm having Anto fucking Delaney come in here and tell me he's a woman, if he's a woman, why hasn't he chopped off his mickey'

I was tempted to interject but they charge my Dad a fraction of what any other launderette would so I gave a roll of the eyes/flick of the head and uttered 'Sure look it, isn't the world gone mad altogether'

Anto must have riled her up good and proper ​​​​​​​

Comment

Surely Antoinette?

Comment

How does she know the status of Antos mickey?

Comment

Had a big tanker turn across us at a junction when there he was literally blocking both our lanes going straight and he knew he would be as the traffic was backed up a bit but in true tanker "I DGAF" style he did it anyway
                                                                                                                        Sure enough we get the green and given I'm furthest right I can go around him
                                                                                                                        Fellow to my left going mental though and hangs on the horn continuosly for like 20 seconds as if that's going to achieve anything.
                                                                                                                        Like seriously, save it for the Mrs

The tanker driver probably had a good laugh. In that situation you're better off ignoring it or reporting the twat if you could be bothered

​​​​​​

Comment

And there is no way, I'm having Anto fucking Delaney come in here and tell me he's a woman, if he's a woman, why hasn't he chopped off his mickey'

Hahahaha, you've got to love Dublin auld wans
                                                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X