This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    "the most likely result of building a superhumanly smart AI, under anything remotely like the current circumstances, is that literally everyone on Earth will die"

One of the earliest researchers to analyze the prospect of powerful Artificial Intelligence warns of a bleak scenario

No we're talking!
    Kinda strange that he’s went straight to “Australopithecus trying to fight Homo sapiens“ but side stepped the painfully obvious Skynet reference.

Came down lads, James Cameron predicted this problem 40 years so. And Isaac Asimov solved it 80 years ago. Three rules, easy game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Kinda strange that he’s went straight to “Australopithecus trying to fight Homo sapiens“ but side stepped the painfully obvious Skynet reference.

Came down lads, James Cameron predicted this problem 40 years so. And Isaac Asimov solved it 80 years ago. Three rules, easy game.

Wasn't able to access that article.

My worry (and I'm not particularly worried in terms of stressing over it) would be bad actors using it to hack/destroy etc. So if the self regulated good guys pause for 6 months what's to stop the bad guys from continuing with development and holding the world to ransom with increasingly sophisticated bank and stock exchange hacks.

Not really up on its capabilities though so maybe it's almost impossible to hack into a banks servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        This is quite something, worth taking the time to sit back and enjoy. If I'm not mistaken this lad is the OtherBandit

That was quirt outstanding, he is obvs the talent behind them.

Currently watching Django, its on Sky, slow burner but episode5 or 6 just took things up a notch, really enjoyable.
        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

That was quirt outstanding, he is obvs the talent behind them.

Currently watching Django, its on Sky, slow burner but episode5 or 6 just took things up a notch, really enjoyable.
          Quite enjoyed the deadpan delivery

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Did the same. Worked part time during the school year on the meat/fish counters in the supermarket and then would get moved to one of the homeware sections full time in the summers. Easiest job I ever had was working in the drapery section. Probably dealt with about 10-15 people per day at the checkout and would tidy shelves twice a day
            A real life "Are you being served".

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Quite enjoyed the deadpan delivery
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Did you like it also? Thought it was utterly fantastic, but I'm a novice at play-watching and think you are somewhat of a pro.
                I thought it quite the spectacle in many ways. Definitely a triumph from a design and technical perspective. Wasn't quite as enthused about the story. I haven't read the novel, but quite a bit of the symbolism seemed like it would be too hard work to figure out as I was watching it, so I just didn't. Consequently I couldn't tell you right now what the villain of the piece actually represents.

I thought the acting was good too. I also would have preferred a full house and it to have been an evening performance as I felt the atmosphere in the audience was a bit flat, and that it would have been great with a more charged and reacting room.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                  Dont forget yer Matt Wallace bets
                  Has it in the bag already

Comment

One for the golf heads, Swingtweaks and James Robinson partnership.

Lots on the go and the sign ups and tweaks are starting to go up and to the right. Big summer ahead.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                      One for the golf heads, Swingtweaks and James Robinson partnership.

Lots on the go and the sign ups and tweaks are starting to go up and to the right. Big summer ahead.
                      That’s great, I like James Robinson, I’d take him over Sheils & Finch but obv those two would be great for the app so if you’re after them, I hope you get them.

TXG, & Crossfield would be my favs, Top Speed isn’t bad either. Harrington makes good content too.

Any chance of an integration with one of the golf games, scan your swing in for character creation? Not sure if any of them have that yet. I really should know that tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        @HH, been looking at the GOP nomination odds lately? Interesting reading.

I wonder, if Trump gets charged in NY (which seems likely - maybe even today), could this hurt De Santis politically? i.e. Trump turns it into some freaky loyalty test, and that can only work against De Santis.

Events....
                        Game On
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

That was quite the fun headline to open my phone to after a few hours radio silence in the Gaiety (+1 to the Hangman recommemdations).

How does it all play out? I have no fucking idea.

First president ever to face criminal charges. And they're only getting started.

Comment

Good luck to the arresting officer who says 'you have the right to remain silent'.

Comment

Oh boy. If Trump refuses to surrender himself to the NY authorities, then guess who would have to (or not) sign the extradition warrant.

That's right. Governor Ron de Santis.

There is not enough popcorn.

Comment

Getting a thumbs down from a fellow M50 driver hurts more than the normal agressive middle finger. I feel like i've let him down now. Bloomin clever tactic .

Comment

Oh boy. If Trump refuses to surrender himself to the NY authorities, then guess who would have to (or not) sign the extradition warrant.

That's right. Governor Ron de Santis.

There is not enough popcorn.
                                  The proud boys will be stroking themselves with glee... polishing bullets again....trying on camo gear... doing eeny meany miney mo between the AR14 or the customised m16 ..oh joy! ​

Comment

Comment

Got tickets for Billy Bragg at the National Concert Hall, whilst Hitch diverted the rest of the country to fret over James Acaster tickets at the same booking time. Cheers.

Comment

Forget music or comedy gigs, yesterday I bought my first event tickets in many months - The Rest Is History Podcast live in Vicar Street in May ​​​​​​​

Comment

Also bought the first of the handful of larger paintings we're in the hunt for; found this artist via a random Irish art website and picked a decent-sized piece, slightly over my planned budget: https://rinephilbinart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                            Forget music or comedy gigs, yesterday I bought my first event tickets in many months - The Rest Is History Podcast live in Vicar Street in May
                                            I listened to dozens of their podcasts a few months ago. They’re quite good and pretty entertaining too.

Never sure where to book in Vicar street. Just looking at what’s left and the tables available aren’t on the map and Block E seems to be gone.

Comment

this new spike vaccine gives you quite the kick (or it's giving me one anyway). I guess that means it's working.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I listened to dozens of their podcasts a few months ago. They’re quite good and pretty entertaining too.

Never sure where to book in Vicar street. Just looking at what’s left and the tables available aren’t on the map and Block E seems to be gone.
                                                When I was looking the only table seats were at the back, while the cheaper seats much closer to the front - but admittedly in those bleachers to the sides - were still available, so went with those instead.

In the last four months, when it comes to podcasts, my listening has been exclusively The Rest Is History. The others I listened to (mainly history to be fair, but also 99% Invisible, The Moth, Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend, Smartless and Planet Money) just faded away in my interest. Think I've replaced a lot of podcast listening with audiobooks, listening to a great version of Great Expectations at the moment; I am truly amazed by the voice actors who can so easily do every character in a book, and make them all sound memorable and believable, such talent! When I do different voices for my kids at story time before their bed, I often forget which voice I was doing for which character halfway through!

Comment

I don't listen to any podcasts or audiobooks, don't watch movies or TV except a bit of sport, maybe read a book every 2 years. Watch a bit on YouTube, not sure where the rest of the time goes!

Comment

A particularly applicable article for the BBV of recent weeks: “I used AI to bet on horse-racing. Here’s what happened”

Link to the article(maybe behind paywall): https://www.ft.com/content/402955aa-...7-f79e7f19a617

Alternatively, you can download FTEdit which gives you free FT articles each day: https://ftedit.onelink.me/Ju3k/b1glf8yl

Comment

Off menu, Second Captains, History of Rome re-listen, then a few MotoGP ones paddock pass etc.

Dog walks will quickly clock up the hours of podcast listening Zuut! Perhaps put a leash on the kids?!
                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I have a dog, but prefer to just watch the world go by when we're out for a walk. Just not interested enough in any single topic enough to read a book or listen to hours of chat about it. Maybe the internet has ruined my attention span.

Comment

Anyone ever been to Arcachon? (Shraap?) Thinking of basing ourselves there for a few days between the Bordeaux and Nantes games in the RWC.

Seems relatively large so I am guessing wouldn't be completely dead mid-Sept.

Comment

Took a day trip out from Bordeaux...Very nice area. No idea what it would be like in Sept, but was busy in summer.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                              I have a dog, but prefer to just watch the world go by when we're out for a walk. Just not interested enough in any single topic enough to read a book or listen to hours of chat about it. Maybe the internet has ruined my attention span.
                                                              I can't really listen to podcasts or audio books either. I find that I can't concentrate properly enough just on audio, my eyes have to be engaged for it to be meaningful to me. Probably why I've never been particularly interested in music and make fuck all phone calls.

Comment

Anyone ever been to Arcachon? (Shraap?) Thinking of basing ourselves there for a few days between the Bordeaux and Nantes games in the RWC.

Seems relatively large so I am guessing wouldn't be completely dead mid-Sept.
                                                                i've not been to arcachon itself, but have been to the other side of the bassin d'arcachon on the cap ferret a few times and it's a beautiful area. i'm sure arcachon is lovely. surrounding areas are stunning. A must do is the dune du pilat, the biggest sand dune in Europe. a phenomenal spot. food in that area is awesome too and the good oyster huts along the bassin are just brilliant. i love that part of France.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                  I'm the same on hikes and walks, never have headphones in. Actively detracts from the enjoyment of it for me irregardless of the brilliance of the music or podcast etc.

I even resent the intrusion of having a phone with me, obviously bring it on mountain hike but local park walks I leave it behind.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

i've not been to arcachon itself, but have been to the other side of the bassin d'arcachon on the cap ferret a few times and it's a beautiful area. i'm sure arcachon is lovely. surrounding areas are stunning. A must do is the dune du pilat, the biggest sand dune in Europe. a phenomenal spot. food in that area is awesome too and the good oyster huts along the bassin are just brilliant. i love that part of France.
                                                                    Sold!

edit: looks like there is a ferry across the bay from Arcachon to Cap Ferret.
                                                                    Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 31-03-23, 12:30.

Comment

My one foray into the audio book world was a mixed game poker strategy book. Hours and hours of a man calling out cards, equity percentages, and impossible to follow example hands. Absolutely ridiculous to offer it as an audiobook!

Comment

Hitch must still be queueing for those James Acaster tickets

Comment

Any proponents of sit/stand desks want to throw a recommendation for one up? Very few of the "10 best x/y/zs" seem to be available in Ireland from my first quick check.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                            Any proponents of sit/stand desks want to throw a recommendation for one up? Very few of the "10 best x/y/zs" seem to be available in Ireland from my first quick check.
                                                                            I just got one from Ikea - think it was this one: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/trotten...ite-s99429578/. Does the job pretty well overall.

Comment

I considered the one Harvey Norman stocks; FloDesk. I haven’t seen reviews elsewhere for it and it’s a big price so couldn’t justify it but it looks very neat if you’re interested in saving space.

Comment

The electric one in IKEA looked a decent job the last time I had the pleasure of doing a lap of the showroom.

Comment

I'm very happy with this one, and see it has reduced in price since I bought

Comment

Can't go wrong with humanscale. Just pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

This is really old (2015)
                                                                                      But recently has become relevent again, a fun read if nothing else
                                                                                      https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artif...olution-1.html
                                                                                      That was a rollercoaster- found myself becoming very optimistic reading the optimists take (immortality, solving climate change etc) but once I got to the anxious alley outcomes it was “ yeah that’s definitely the way more likely outcome “
                                                                                      Listened to lex Friedman pod with Eliezer yudkowsky over past few days , interesting due to the subject (but wouldn’t inspire me majorly yet to plough into more lex)
                                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                        Forget music or comedy gigs, yesterday I bought my first event tickets in many months - The Rest Is History Podcast live in Vicar Street in May
                                                                                        Myself and 2 friends are thinking about going to this too.

They would be high on my list of best dinner party guests.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

That was a rollercoaster- found myself becoming very optimistic reading the optimists take (immortality, solving climate change etc) but once I got to the anxious alley outcomes it was “ yeah that’s definitely the way more likely outcome “
                                                                                          Listened to lex Friedman pod with Eliezer yudkowsky over past few days , interesting due to the subject (but wouldn’t inspire me majorly yet to plough into more lex)
                                                                                          It's funny, but I can't stand the wait but what guy anymore, because his posts are so lengthy! Over the years it bothered me more and more to the point now that just thinking about him gets me angry. Fuck man, get a fucking editor! You could cut his posts by 80% easily.

I feel like in a few years people will realise that there is a lot of good to be gained from writers pooling resources and some VC will reinvent newspapers

Comment

Slightly toasted off an online win......what's that you ask?

Yes an actual on godddamn true blue on the mofo line win, yeeehaw.., and managed to beat the zombies for once. Mind you some decent players at these low levels ...feeling the pain mog

That should read ..played a bit and won

Mofos

Comment

Did an event yesterday for a bunch of customers, boss persuaded me to have a couple of pints after it.

Got in at 3am.

Was supposed to drive to Salthill today to sort an issue on a project we worked on. Holiday let apartments that were opening for their first booking tomorrow. Was to drive there, sort the issue then drive straight home.

Woke up dying, absolutely dreading it.

Opened WhatsApp to a message from the client telling me there was no need to go. The bookings were cancelled due to fire cert issues.

Wahooooooooo

Half expected her to come back with 'Haha, April Fools'
                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Mortgage advice please Raoul Duke III Hitchhiker's Guide To... et al

Have ~1 year left on a 3-year 2.35% fixed rate which just moved from KBC to BOI. Keen to lock in something longer term for peace of mind but unsure what to do.

BOI have offered me the following to fix for longer now:

2 Year Fixed 3.2%
                                                                                                3 Year Fixed 3.3%
                                                                                                5 Year Fixed 3.3%
                                                                                                10 Year Fixed 3.8%

Was initially inclined to go for the 5 Year but if rates come down in a couple of years the breakage fee would be significant if I wanted to switch with 2 or 3 years left so perhaps the 3 Year is better? Any thoughts? Anyone fixed longer-term recently?

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post

Have ~1 year left on a 3-year 2.35% fixed rate which just moved from KBC to BOI. Keen to lock in something longer term for peace of mind but unsure what to do.

2 Year Fixed 3.2%
                                                                                                  3 Year Fixed 3.3%
                                                                                                  5 Year Fixed 3.3%
                                                                                                  10 Year Fixed 3.8%

Was initially inclined to go for the 5 Year but if rates come down in a couple of years the breakage fee would be significant if I wanted to switch with 2 or 3 years left so perhaps the 3 Year is better? Any thoughts? Anyone fixed longer-term recently?
                                                                                                  What's your LTV?
                                                                                                  What's your BER?
                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

What's your LTV?
                                                                                                    What's your BER?
                                                                                                    When we bought LTV was ~85%
                                                                                                    Work we did before moving in (without extending the loan) plus market value increase probably has it at 65-70% now

We didn’t get an updated BER after doing the work but it wouldn’t get us to A or B to qualify for a green mortgage

Comment

Watching Bayern v Dortmund- biggest game of the season . Bayern Defender lumps the ball forward from his own area - rolls up to Dortmund keeper . He tries to hoof the ball , misses and it rolls into the net . Bizarre .

Comment

2 Year Fixed 3.2%
                                                                                                        3 Year Fixed 3.3%
                                                                                                        5 Year Fixed 3.3%
                                                                                                        10 Year Fixed 3.8%

Are there any variable options worth considering?

I've a mate returning from travel in a similar boat. Curious to see how you get on.

Comment

3.3% over 5 years sounds pretty good. DC probably the man to ask for the macro view though (or V).

Comment

Up in Enniskillen for a night. Very nice spot. Really like the way they have a lot of great pubs close to each other, makes a pub crawl that much easier. Highly recommend!!
                                                                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

New Louis CK special available https://louisck.com/
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Womens Am at Augusta.
                                                                                                                Rose Zhang is streets the best collegiate and am player in the game at the moment. She's incredible.

She was leading by 6. It's now 1.
                                                                                                                She is melting down. Has her oul lad on the bag and he seems like it's just problems he's causing.

Fascinating watch. Do want her to win but the carnage is riveting.
                                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Yeah, I'll get her out job shopping next week. Just needs a bit of a push. Like most middle class kids, she's probably had everything handed to her on a plate but the lure of having actually having some cash will overcome that.

Don't think bar work will fly with Mrs D3, given her professional background (she tends to see the risks in all these situations).
                                                                                                                  Slightly left field perhaps but 'care of the elderly' is a noble profession and will offer Juke jr quite a unique perspective.

It's also a very 'travelable' skill (I worked on Belfast, London, Vancouver and Boston in the space of a year with it!)

BUT she'd have to have a stomach for the messier/unpredictable aspects of the human condition. People are dying, in pain, expel fluids frequently and voluminously etc..

Didn't do me any harm - I loved it. The people you meet etc...

(paid my way through three years of college and a couple of years travelling afterwards).

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Are there any variable options worth considering?

I've a mate returning from travel in a similar boat. Curious to see how you get on.
                                                                                                                    Can't see any near-term upside to a variable rate right now. You'd be massively exposed to what seem like inevitable rate increases over the next 12-18 months.

Comment

Can't see any near-term upside to a variable rate right now. You'd be massively exposed to what seem like inevitable rate increases over the next 12-18 months.
                                                                                                                      As interest rates rise, remortgaging borrowers weigh up fixed rates, trackers, plus switching and ditching

Should still be applicable to the Irish market.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                        Hmm, more or less caught up now.

Personal Brag: Valencia Booked 1st week in July in a nice AirBnB
                                                                                                                        Personal Beat: Fell for the Ryanair local airport trick when booking and flying into Castellón Airport meaning a 2-3 hour faff with buses/trains and trams
                                                                                                                        Variance: At least my crash course via duolingo will come in handy
                                                                                                                        lol, my parents did the same thing.

handy enough job, quick taxi to train station then the cercanias to valencia nord and you could walk to the airbnb from there via the centre.

hope your crash course was Valenciano and not Castellaño
                                                                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                          New Louis CK special available https://louisck.com/
                                                                                                                          Well, that was well worth the $10, think it was €11.5. Still processing the thought of Hitchhiker's Guide To.... loving James Acaster so much. I'd go to see U2 before I be in a room with him.
                                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X