This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
    I'm left handed and wear my watch on my left hand - can't be the only one, surely?!

We are unquestionably the superior side of the dichotomy; legendary lefties include Julius Caesar, Leonardo Da Vinci, Mozart, Bowie, Napoleon, Marie Curie, Michelangelo, Churchill, Pele, LeBron, Maradona, Ned Flanders, Barack Obama and possibly even Alexander the Great!
    Leftie too.- sorry to rain on your parade.

Comment

Breaking my right elbow and finger was very good for my ambidexterousness, no right hand for months and still use my left still for loads of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

You can’t have that one. He’s one of those even bigger weirdos (somehow happens a bit in Bball) who lives day to day left handed but shoots the basketball with his right hand.

Happy to go halvsies on Ricky Barry though:

In cricket, you find people who bowl left-handed and throw right hand-handed. Can never get my head around that.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Leftie too.- sorry to rain on your parade.
          Ha, you can be in our 'basket of deplorables' if you want. I'll have to search for 'left-handed villains' at some point, Jesus I hope we swerve Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot! I'll take Genghis Khan and Cromwell, if pushed to.

Comment

I wasn't sure if this is real but the Independent has run with the story - Humanity is in danger if the world does not pause AI

Open Letter - We call on all AI labs to immediately pause for at least 6 months the training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4.

So far signed by the likes of Elon Musk, Steve Wozniak and Andrew Yang. Over a thousand expert people working in the field have added signatures to the letter.

Comment

50% of the Beatles were lefties plus the worlds elite footie players not forgetting Bestie and Puskas - plus EVERYONE in the Simpons

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

In cricket, you find people who bowl left-handed and throw right hand-handed. Can never get my head around that.
                I can’t understand it all, especially when you’ve played the game yourself, seems hard to grasp.

Ben Simmons is another that is in the NBA now, he’s the most famous Ozzie in the league so you might have heard the name.

He’s had massive troubles shooting esp given his talent and a former teammate of his who has just retired and happens to be one of the best 3pt shooters ever is fully convinced that his issues are down to the fact that he simply shoot’s with the wrong hand.

Comment

Surely assault rifles are not justifiable
                  Assault rifles are already illegal or heavily regulated in most states. Only a handful of the loony states permit assault rifles - as in actual fully automatic rifles, aka machine guns.

Most of what gets reported as an assault rifle in the media, are semi-autos. There’s been multiple attempts to reintroduce a federal ban of those too, but can’t see states agree where the line is.

I know there are billions of ammo in ciculation.

Let them have their array of destructive child killing weapons but sanction the bullets. To start things off - A decent strong Government will simply say ALL assault weapons are illegal to buy. Keep what you have I guess or redeem for cash . However ZERO bullets will be sold for these weapons unless signed off by the local Sherriff Rosco etc. Let them keep their hunting guns and hand guns. Easier to take down a depressed crazed teenager In possession of a hand gun than those crowd killers. It would be a start and would surely save ‘some’ lives.
                  The issue with that approach is that there is no such thing as assault rifle ammo.

A single shot hunting rifle, a semi-auto rifle, or a full military spec assault rifle could all fire the same calibre ammo.
                  Some AR15 style carbine even fire 9mm handgun ammo.

There’s a complete lack of registration and control. Can’t see how they’ll tack it on now. Contrast that with very other Western country that has legal ownership, sensible laws, and next to no issues.

Comment

Ha, you can be in our 'basket of deplorables' if you want. I'll have to search for 'left-handed villains' at some point, Jesus I hope we swerve Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot! .
                    Hitler was righty, the others were lefties. Basic politics ionpaul - your history teacher should have beaten you harder for writing with the wrong hand.

Comment

Ha, you can be in our 'basket of deplorables' if you want. I'll have to search for 'left-handed villains' at some point, Jesus I hope we swerve Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot! I'll take Genghis Khan and Cromwell, if pushed to.
                      I think Hitler had it in for Lefties. So I doubt it.
                      Apparently Bin Laden though

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Assault rifles are already illegal or heavily regulated in most states. Only a handful of the loony states permit assault rifles - as in actual fully automatic rifles, aka machine guns.

Most of what gets reported as an assault rifle in the media, are semi-autos. There’s been multiple attempts to reintroduce a federal ban of those too, but can’t see states agree where the line is.

The issue with that approach is that there is no such thing as assault rifle ammo.

A single shot hunting rifle, a semi-auto rifle, or a full military spec assault rifle could all fire the same calibre ammo.

There’s a complete lack of registration and control. Can’t see how they’ll tack it on now. Contrast that with very other Western country that has legal ownership, sensible laws, and next to no issues.

and to add to the mayhem it's apparently not a major feat of knowhow to 3D print a weapon or just machine tool in your garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                          I wasn't sure if this is real but the Independent has run with the story - Humanity is in danger if the world does not pause AI

Open Letter - We call on all AI labs to immediately pause for at least 6 months the training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4.

So far signed by the likes of Elon Musk, Steve Wozniak and Andrew Yang. Over a thousand expert people working in the field have added signatures to the letter.

That guy is a noted AI sceptic who has spent the last six months alternatively saying LLMs are useless and that AI will kill us all immediately. I very much doubt a thousand actual experts signed the letter. It was reported Yann LeCun did, and she denied it; I think it looks like anyone could sign it under someone else's name.

I would believe Elon signed it since he thinks the current LLMs are too woke and has an axe to grind with OpenAI

Comment

Surely bar work would be more useful / interesting than retail or other work, and worth the trade off of risk.

Comment

Stop picking craters in my wholesome plans for peace in our time. I think practicalities beats symbolism all right but even a nod to wink that they might be trying something be good to see

Comment

Hitler was righty, the others were lefties. Basic politics ionpaul - your history teacher should have beaten you harder for writing with the wrong hand.
                                Oh he was righteee all right.

I remember buying a leftie guitar once and the assistant was agast that i didnt play right handed . his logic was the left hand did all the work so id have an advantage wtf . Then why arent guitars left then.so your right can do all the work. he went silent .

I tried it with golf and i'm shit but now cant swing left so stuck being a rightie for golf hacking purposes. For all sports i'm very very one handed. LEFT.. if i had a choice again id have preferred being a righty tbh. Everything is easier.

Comment

On a break for the Neil Gaiman play in Bord Gais - The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It's a stormer so far.
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Oh he was righteee all right.

I remember buying a leftie guitar once and the assistant was agast that i didnt play right handed . his logic was the left hand did all the work so id have an advantage wtf . Then why arent guitars left then.so your right can do all the work. he went silent .

I tried it with golf and i'm shit but now cant swing left so stuck being a rightie for golf hacking purposes. For all sports i'm very very one handed. LEFT.. if i had a choice again id have preferred being a righty tbh. Everything is easier.

I'm right handed but am almost bilingual in my feet!

Had a bad lie near a hedge a while back so tried the old left hand swing with the back of the club 1. "Doesn't count, was just getting the feel of it"
                                    2. "Practice swing!! "

3. "Fxxxking piece of@@@&££#"

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                      Anyone ever been to the Japanese cake place in Stephen's Green? TraditionalAsianCakes. Reviews of it are ridic good.
                                      Yep it's really good, but not at all what you expect if you think you are getting something like usual pastry
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Do you not already have a song that you know the tune of and 80% of the lyrics, that you wheel out whenever required at a party/wedding/stag/family occasion?
                                        This is something that just about everyone in Ireland has (without the need of a singing instructor, fk me).
                                        edit : Mine is American Pie, don't hate me people. I usually get stopped by popular demand after the 2nd verse.

Never fails
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Looking for recommendations; we are on the lookout for some art to brighten our walls, decent-sized pieces that are more abstract in nature. Something like this (family have bought from this artist before, we're waiting on more from her at present but nothing currently available). Hoping to spend anything up to €500 per piece. Any recommendations would be most gratefully received!
                                          I've a few pieces from this girl

also happened across this artist last week along merrion square
                                          some of it was quite breathtaking in person, probably won't got far on 500 though
                                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 29-03-23, 16:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                            That is some grade A pisspoor gotcha shite from OTB at Kellie Harrington for doing a thoughtcrime . The kind of shite that the extremists feed off.
                                            really?
                                            I thought if anything, she dug herself deeper there.
                                            The well prepared statement from her PR reps released later are a million miles from how she was speaking during the interview.
                                            Retweeting anti immigration GBnews shite in this environment is a little more than a thoughtcrime imo.
                                            I'm not making any accusations on her personal beliefs but simply pointing out she deleted it after some reflection would have killed that whole line of questioning rather than the
                                            direction she went

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

pretty standard if you're left handed. confirmed weirdo if he's right handed though!
                                              left handed--watch on left wrist

Comment

This is really old (2015)
                                                But recently has become relevent again, a fun read if nothing else
                                                Part 1 of 2: "The Road to Superintelligence". Artificial Intelligence — the topic everyone in the world should be talking about.

Comment

Hmm, more or less caught up now.

Personal Brag: Valencia Booked 1st week in July in a nice AirBnB
                                                  Personal Beat: Fell for the Ryanair local airport trick when booking and flying into Castellón Airport meaning a 2-3 hour faff with buses/trains and trams
                                                  Variance: At least my crash course via duolingo will come in handy

Comment

On a break for the Neil Gaiman play in Bord Gais - The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It's a stormer so far.
                                                    Confirmed complete star. That was a definite step above the regular play.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

left handed--watch on left wrist
                                                      no. left handed watch on right wrist, except weirdos like ionapaul.

Comment

Confirmed complete star. That was a definite step above the regular play.
                                                        i'm assuming based on the book? if so, for me, and i don't usually automatically find music to suit the books i'm reading, but this combination just blew me away. her music in the background whilst i was reading this book made it even more incredible.

Comment

Hmm, more or less caught up now.

Personal Brag: Valencia Booked 1st week in July in a nice AirBnB
                                                          Personal Beat: Fell for the Ryanair local airport trick when booking and flying into Castellón Airport meaning a 2-3 hour faff with buses/trains and trams
                                                          Variance: At least my crash course via duolingo will come in handy
                                                          And I took your tip and booked us to go to Lisbon over the Oct bank holiday for 5 days.

Apparently we are staying in the 'coolest neighbourhood in the world'.

Comment

really?
                                                            I thought if anything, she dug herself deeper there.
                                                            The well prepared statement from her PR reps released later are a million miles from how she was speaking during the interview.
                                                            Retweeting anti immigration GBnews shite in this environment is a little more than a thoughtcrime imo.
                                                            I'm not making any accusations on her personal beliefs but simply pointing out she deleted it after some reflection would have killed that whole line of questioning rather than the
                                                            direction she went
                                                            Meh!
                                                            I don't know what she retweeted except it was GBN, she says she thought about it and deleted it and said at the time she regretted linking it and it sounds like it was a one off.
                                                            If she was defending it, if there was a pattern or if she was active in politics, but she's a boxer. it but Not playing along with the gotcha shite seems fair enough to me.

I see today yer man Hannon is faux apologising for his own past social media posts.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I was there too. Was bringing some philistine from Dundalk who had never been to the theatre before at aged 53.

Comment

This is really old (2015)
                                                                But recently has become relevent again, a fun read if nothing else
                                                                https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artif...olution-1.html
                                                                That is a fantastic read. The author actually popped up on my radar quite recently as he did the Lex podcast a few weeks back. I will forever know him as the guy who did that amazing Ted Talk on procrastination.

Comment

And I took your tip and booked us to go to Lisbon over the Oct bank holiday for 5 days.

Apparently we are staying in the 'coolest neighbourhood in the world'.
                                                                  Cais do Sodre is great. It's a little boisterous at night but I can vouch for dear breakfast. I'd an egg sandwich there that was too notch.
                                                                  Chafariz do Carmo was my personal little spot to while away an hour or so while others shopped.
                                                                  Fantastic people watching and little kiosks for ginjinha, beers and tapas.

Pont final, book it. You will not regret it

Comment

no. left handed watch on right wrist, except weirdos like ionapaul.
                                                                    Am also a weirdo so

Comment

Am also a weirdo so
                                                                      We knew that about you already so no big surprise there

Comment

Pont final, book it. You will not regret it
                                                                        Looks great, although would be mildly concerned about falling in if the photos are accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I was there too. Was bringing some philistine from Dundalk who had never been to the theatre before at aged 53.
                                                                          Did you like it also? Thought it was utterly fantastic, but I'm a novice at play-watching and think you are somewhat of a pro.

Comment

Interior Design Masters

SPOILER
                                                                            I just don't get how they keep forgetting the fairly fundamental point of 'what does someone want this space for'. This week - misunderstanding that the space is for selling stuff, last week that the space was for waking up to a beautiful Scottish view.

Comment

James Acaster in Vicar Street on sale Friday 10am. Surely theres no chance of getting those tickets?

Comment

James Acaster in Vicar Street on sale Friday 10am. Surely theres no chance of getting those tickets?
                                                                                4 shows? I'd guess a good chance, no? I know he's good and popular, but still would be surprised if you failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

4 shows? I'd guess a good chance, no? I know he's good and popular, but still would be surprised if you failed.
                                                                                  Maybe I'm an excessive fan of him, but was imagining that the entirety of the country would be waiting patiently at their keyboards for 10am to click buy.

Comment

Great profile on Taleb https://thespectator.com/topic/nassi...n-bitcoin-ftx/

Comment

Meh!
                                                                                      I don't know what she retweeted except it was GBN, she says she thought about it and deleted it and said at the time she regretted linking it and it sounds like it was a one off.
                                                                                      What she said was;
                                                                                      “Very, very sad. A powerful message from Eva Vlaardingerbroek. Our own leaders need to take a listen to this. She believes this is the 12th girl in France this year who has been killed by an immigrant.. And that’s just France.”
                                                                                      And she didn’t reflect on it, have regrets and delete it. She deleted it after copping some backlash. Her regrets were self-motivated. She’s not in politics of course, but is a pubic figure and made a public statement. She is accountable for that. I don’t think the question was a gotcha at all. The fact it’s 6 months ago are irrelevant when her view is clearly the same.

The PR coach was money well spent though.

Comment

Maybe I'm an excessive fan of him, but was imagining that the entirety of the country would be waiting patiently at their keyboards for 10am to click buy.
                                                                                        Don't know if you noticed, but James Acaster is on the new series of Celebrity Hunted on C4, paired with Ed Gamble. Only one episode in, should be on the All4 website. From clips they seem to use the Taskmaster house as one of their hiding spots.

In a clumsy segue, there's a new series of Taskmaster starting Thursday night. Frankie Boyle is a contestant which could be fun, although often the lesser known contestants can be better.

Comment

Saw him in Whelans last year he was shite. Barely laughed once. :-/
                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

I feel like 5star and the rest of the anti-music brigade, I had no idea who this was and had to google him

Comment

"the most likely result of building a superhumanly smart AI, under anything remotely like the current circumstances, is that literally everyone on Earth will die"

One of the earliest researchers to analyze the prospect of powerful Artificial Intelligence warns of a bleak scenario

No we're talking!

Comment

This is quite something, worth taking the time to sit back and enjoy. If I'm not mistaken this lad is the OtherBandit

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yeah, I'll get her out job shopping next week. Just needs a bit of a push. Like most middle class kids, she's probably had everything handed to her on a plate but the lure of having actually having some cash will overcome that.

Don't think bar work will fly with Mrs D3, given her professional background (she tends to see the risks in all these situations).
                                                                                                  From personal experience bar work had the opposite effect, its a free lesson on what you look like with too much drink taken, and likely a very good life lesson on dealing with tricky people

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Leisure centre perhaps? I did some work experience there and lots of friends have too. No particularly late nights and obviously you get to be pretty active.

Generally a pretty nice environment, plenty of opportunity to work with diverse groups. I got to do work with Kids camps, Boccia with the Special Olympics, work with at risk youths and adults.

Perhaps not the easiest job to come by but if it was something that was possible, it’s worth looking into.
                                                                                                  Did the Leisure centre thing myself, and strongest memory was cleaning shower grout with toothbrush at the end of each session. Grim enough.

The best one was working for a local newspaper, they are always keen to have more copy written etc, and easy to nab a byline which was enjoyable at the time.

My Stance on the K Harrington thing. For starters girls shouldn’t be boxing or fighting. It’s wrong, wrong, wrong. On her tweet business she made a PR boob . All she needs to say was Oh yeah me mammy had a word with me already and she was right. So now I support diversity. Thanks Mam. Nod and smile until the Spar monies runs out then it’s old news. Who ‘really’ cares. Let’s not all turn into sandy gees over it. I forgive her and would welcome her back into the bosom of relevance. But no more fighting.
                                                                                                  How would you imagine she comes back to the bosom of relevance when you’ve banned her from boxing? New late late host?

Comment

That is a fantastic read. The author actually popped up on my radar quite recently as he did the Lex podcast a few weeks back. I will forever know him as the guy who did that amazing Ted Talk on procrastination.
                                                                                                    I’ve been meaning to listen to that for ages

Comment

Thought EP1 of Succession was only OK. Maybe a slow burner of a season.

SPOILER
                                                                                                      (although Tom freaking Greg out about having sex in Logan's apartment was pretty hilarious)

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                        From personal experience bar work had the opposite effect, its a free lesson on what you look like with too much drink taken, and likely a very good life lesson on dealing with tricky people

Did the Leisure centre thing myself, and strongest memory was cleaning shower grout with toothbrush at the end of each session. Grim enough.

The best one was working for a local newspaper, they are always keen to have more copy written etc, and easy to nab a byline which was enjoyable at the time.

How would you imagine she comes back to the bosom of relevance when you’ve banned her from boxing? New late late host?
                                                                                                        She won a Gold medal. Not something we bathe in. She will always be more relevant that the rest of us imo.
                                                                                                        Late Late show - cool. Imagine the butt hurt if she got it..but but... . Sure whoever gets it will be part of a show thats outdated . Need to go for a nighthawks type of thing. (Yer probably too young to remember).

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

I can’t remember them being that cruel but you’re right that there was a lot of mopping involved.

Newspaper is a great shout. One down here that seems like an enjoyable job is lifeguarding.
                                                                                                          I know a few people who did that and some friends whose kids do it now.
                                                                                                          Place specific and you need the skills. I did quite a lot of thistle cutting as a teenager but probably not one I’d recommend.

If I was going down the hospitality route, I think a golf club would be quite nice.

Comment

Personally, every summer i worked in department stores for the whole month of July then went on holiday in august. easy job being a sales assistant. even had a stint in women's lingerie department one year, was great!

Comment

This is quite something, worth taking the time to sit back and enjoy. If I'm not mistaken this lad is the OtherBandit

Yeah I've seen a few of these he did.
                                                                                                              They are strangley engrossing

Edit: Well that was just wonderful. Particulalry enjoyed the tea part later on.
                                                                                                              Last edited by DeadParrot; 30-03-23, 09:24.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Do you like him in general? I've never heard him speak and not be funny on tv or clips of his standup at least.

Comment

She won a Gold medal. Not something we bathe in. She will always be more relevant that the rest of us imo.
                                                                                                                  Late Late show - cool. Imagine the butt hurt if she got it..but but... . Sure whoever gets it will be part of a show thats outdated . Need to go for a nighthawks type of thing. (Yer probably too young to remember).
                                                                                                                  She won a gold medal, in by far our best competed sport. Seems archaic to call that wrong. It’s her choice to compete. Women can box, men can cut [insert winmin’s job]. Why is that wrong?

It’s far more appropriate for her to box in a sporting setting that it is for 95% of the posters young lads out there.

Comment

She won a gold medal, in by far our best competed sport. Seems archaic to call that wrong. It’s her choice to compete. Women can box, men can cut [insert winmin’s job]. Why is that wrong?

It’s far more appropriate for her to box in a sporting setting that it is for 95% of the posters young lads out there.
                                                                                                                    You quoted the wrong post ?

Anyway that girls fighting thing was tongue in cheek. , eg Girlies should be sweet and soft . Old man talk or archaic if you will.

Comment

Dont forget yer Matt Wallace bets

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Do you like him in general? I've never heard him speak and not be funny on tv or clips of his standup at least.
                                                                                                                        Yes was a big fan before this. Very disappointing.
                                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Personally, every summer i worked in department stores for the whole month of July then went on holiday in august. easy job being a sales assistant. even had a stint in women's lingerie department one year, was great!
                                                                                                                          Did the same. Worked part time during the school year on the meat/fish counters in the supermarket and then would get moved to one of the homeware sections full time in the summers. Easiest job I ever had was working in the drapery section. Probably dealt with about 10-15 people per day at the checkout and would tidy shelves twice a day

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X