Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a chat with a former US military weapons instructor recently. His take is that generally most gun owners would have little to no issue with some degree of improved regulation and increased licensing/gun-safety requirement. The issue is that the horse has already bolted for the most part in terms of being able to ban certain weapons and the sheer volume of money going to politicians from the arms industry via the NRA means that any hint of change immediately escalates into screeching from the recipients of that money.

His broader insights were interesting in terms of generally how terrible people are about personal gun safety and he actively avoids going to ranges in favour of shooting outdoors

Comment

I think the approach is for Europe to stop even covering the news of these shootings. The country has made a political decision that means kids will be regularly shot in schools. Its not news, its a predictable outcome of too many guns and too little medical support for people with mental health problems. Given most Americans support gun 'rights', then presumably most parents whose kids are shot also support these rights that inevitably lead to these outcomes. leopardeatingfaceparty.gif Its a fucking shit awful situation but it will never stop. Thats just what that country has decided to be.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Even if they made all private gun ownership illegal tomorrow, it would make fuck all difference. The country is already awash with weaponry and ammunition.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          I think the approach is for Europe to stop even covering the news of these shootings. The country has made a political decision that means kids will be regularly shot in schools. Its not news, its a predictable outcome of too many guns and too little medical support for people with mental health problems. Given most Americans support gun 'rights', then presumably most parents whose kids are shot also support these rights that inevitably lead to these outcomes. leopardeatingfaceparty.gif Its a fucking shit awful situation but it will never stop. Thats just what that country has decided to be.
          You might as well stop covering extreme climate events too under that logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
            Surely assault rifles are not justifiable
            Unless the government is out to get ya.

Comment

I know there are billions of ammo in ciculation.

Let them have their array of destructive child killing weapons but sanction the bullets. To start things off - A decent strong Government will simply say ALL assault weapons are illegal to buy. Keep what you have I guess or redeem for cash . However ZERO bullets will be sold for these weapons unless signed off by the local Sherriff Rosco etc. Let them keep their hunting guns and hand guns. Easier to take down a depressed crazed teenager In possession of a hand gun than those crowd killers. It would be a start and would surely save ‘some’ lives.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                  Had a chat with a former US military weapons instructor recently. His take is that generally most gun owners would have little to no issue with some degree of improved regulation and increased licensing/gun-safety requirement. The issue is that the horse has already bolted for the most part in terms of being able to ban certain weapons and the sheer volume of money going to politicians from the arms industry via the NRA means that any hint of change immediately escalates into screeching from the recipients of that money.

His broader insights were interesting in terms of generally how terrible people are about personal gun safety and he actively avoids going to ranges in favour of shooting outdoors
                  I occasionally wonder if there is any single event that could happen in the states that would drive them to change or remove that silly second amendment, and I'm fairly sure there isn't. Same applies to them agreeing broadly to bring in fairly basic things like checks before guns are sold, bans of ridiculous assault weapons. There is basically nothing, barring a huge democrat majority in both houses and a dem president (I mean 2/3 majority huge) that would change that, and even then, when it swung back, the reps would undo most of that anyhow, or the right wing supreme court would.

Comment

Just imagine the same kind of gun ownership in Ireland. The death rate would be off the charts. Imagine the carnage at an under 12s GAA Match. The refs would be murdered like the heads of the 5 families.The Quiet Man - Here’s a big gun to blow the head of the good lady sir. The Kinehans would be downgraded to mere scalywags or taken out by the odd irate pensioner fed up with delays caused by the latest homicide outside the post office on a Friday morn.
                    School bullies would appear in Alphabetical order in the Deaths Notice in the Paper. As for life poker, leave your guns in reception gentlemen. Conor Mcgregors whiskey can be freely turned down when offered. I guess in a way those Americans aren’t so bad statistically

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                        This is good,

there's also a much more technical interview here, with AI's chief scientist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf1o0TQzry8

It's an interesting interview, but it was also intriguing to see the very different interview styles given Murdrum's criticism of Lex; there's no explanation for the listener, few follow-up questions, and no rambling monologues.

Comment

Another muppet on e bike on narrow path.
                          is it just me being a curmudgeon or does anyone else get that "I'd love to clothesline the twat" feeling.
                          This guy had his girlfriend draped across the crossbar awkwardly with her legs out taking up even more space and going at a good clip.
                          Not one fuck given, laughing away, he was bouncing the bike to amuse her or something. Not in a skanger type way just young and clueless but irritating none the less.
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

This is good,

there's also a much more technical interview here, with AI's chief scientist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf1o0TQzry8

It's an interesting interview, but it was also intriguing to see the very different interview styles given Murdrum's criticism of Lex; there's no explanation for the listener, few follow-up questions, and no rambling monologues.
                            I don't like that the stock answer to the really difficult problems is becoming, AI will figure it out. Sam has used the same line a couple of times when asked about the alignment problem. Oh the AI when it gets smarter will figure it out. In this interview when Ilya outlines the mass amount of job losses that are likely coming, he says the AI will figure out new stuff that we can be at besides working

Another guy from Open AI has been tweeting loads today about how he expects human levels of competency within two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You might as well stop covering extreme climate events too under that logic.
                                Thats a woeful example. Public habits have changed dramatically as a result of increased news coverage about climate risks.

Comment

That is some grade A pisspoor gotcha shite from OTB at Kellie Harrington for doing a thoughtcrime . The kind of shite that the extremists feed off.
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

So, if you had a spare 16 y/o knocking around for the summer. One with no skills or work experience.

Where would you send such a creature to get gainful employment (and, more importantly, get them the fuck out of the house)?

Supermarkets?

Comment

So, if you had a spare 16 y/o knocking around for the summer. One with no skills or work experience.

Where would you send such a creature to get gainful employment (and, more importantly, get them the fuck out of the house)?

Supermarkets?
                                      Hospitality - barwork in particular if they take them that young. They can take it anywhere with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        That is some grade A pisspoor gotcha shite from OTB at Kellie Harrington for doing a thoughtcrime . The kind of shite that the extremists feed off.
                                        "ah yeah, I've already apologised for that. I reacted emotionally to the story of that poor girl being hurt and didn't look into what was driving the story. I'm now a bit more careful at things I read and its a lesson learned. But - here - this is a sports show and I need to talk about my upcoming fight"

or what she did instead??? I suspect the PR person in the background had given her woeful advice, rather than it was her idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Hospitality - barwork in particular if they take them that young. They can take it anywhere with them.
                                          collecting glasses type of thing - unlimited jobs in that. A nice enough place, local, so he (?) is less likely to have to deal with gobshites. Plus then you'll have your excuse to go around for regular beers to keep an eye out.

Comment

Or there's also a vacancy batting away the paramours from the new improved satnav.

Comment

Supermarkets?
                                              Send her to the potato room down the road
                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Off to Marbella for 3 days golf on Thursday. Getting to play Finca Cortisin which is hosting the Solheim this year. Also Las Brisas and Aloha. Weather looks mint
                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Send her to the potato room down the road
                                                  winner. With the added advantage of family rates on the scampi.

Comment

collecting glasses type of thing - unlimited jobs in that. A nice enough place, local, so he (?) is less likely to have to deal with gobshites. Plus then you'll have your excuse to go around for regular beers to keep an eye out.
                                                    She. You met them! Girl\Boy\Girl.

Or as I occasionally taxonomically classify them: Big, Medium and Small. (except Medium is now as tall as me, aged 14 )

Comment

Or there's also a vacancy batting away the paramours from the new improved satnav.
                                                      Only for 7-12 years though

Comment

Supermarkets?
                                                        Spent a few hours today with a bunch of teenagers on 'transition year work experience'. Somewhat disturbed that there wasn't some background check on me, and everyone else in the shop tbh.
                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Thats a woeful example. Public habits have changed dramatically as a result of increased news coverage about climate risks.
                                                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Supermarkets?
                                                            The girl in her year in Mount Temple I mentioned did a couple of weeks this month in a cafe in Clontarf as one of her things and they offered her a summer job there which she accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              Will ya stop. Perfectly reasonable line of questioning given her post, her position and the reason she was on.
                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Off to Marbella for 3 days golf on Thursday. Getting to play Finca Cortisin which is hosting the Solheim this year. Also Las Brisas and Aloha. Weather looks mint
                                                                Very jealous.

Snowed here again yest. overnight temps well below freezing. Big delay to golf season. depressed.
                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

She. You met them! Girl\Boy\Girl.

Or as I occasionally taxonomically classify them: Big, Medium and Small. (except Medium is now as tall as me, aged 14 )
                                                                  In my defence, you did during the year talk about the eldest doing work experience for her transition year, so I assumed the workshy one must be the boy.

Comment

Enjoy the Golf. Was in Cádiz last week for my first trip abroad.

Had my first hole in one on Monday and shot 80 on Thursday to improve my PB by 3 (3 doubles included, inches from bird on 18). The resort was all inclusive and everything was excellent tbf. I doubt I'll ever have a golf holiday like that again!

Looking forward to competitive golf kicking off shortly and I'm on three club panels this year (won't play them all tbf).

Comment

Supermarkets?
                                                                      A hotel. 1 summers experience there, with the bonus of going again next summer if they don't absolutely hate it.

Accommodation, bar, restaurant, kitchen, reception, porter, general duties. Loads of departments.

So much work experience to be gained working in a hotel and will teach them what not to do from dealing with guests who are cunts.

Comment

So. In the spirit of satnav, that oversharing is overcaring. Here's my suitably anonymised photos after starting to go to the gym: Feb 6th (beginning), Feb 27th (middle), and Mar 28th (now), from left to right. I feel the bulk of the work was done in February really. But then maybe the chest is a fair bit more developed after the March workouts. Still looks very middling, but at least that fucking belly is gone. Not sure the now pic is helped by me clearly using my very expensive new belt to hold up my obviously too loose jeans.

SPOILER

Edit: pls don't use these photos for your grindr profiles
                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 28-03-23, 23:05.

Comment

Elton John was deadly. 1st time I've ever seen a standing ovation for someone as they walk on stage. Just the 4 years after buying the tickets

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Will ya stop. Perfectly reasonable line of questioning given her post, her position and the reason she was on.
                                                                            I think it's an unfortunate situation; it should be expected that young people who have very limited life experience might have some crazy beliefs. Before social media, nobody would know or care.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

I don't like that the stock answer to the really difficult problems is becoming, AI will figure it out. Sam has used the same line a couple of times when asked about the alignment problem. Oh the AI when it gets smarter will figure it out. In this interview when Ilya outlines the mass amount of job losses that are likely coming, he says the AI will figure out new stuff that we can be at besides working

Another guy from Open AI has been tweeting loads today about how he expects human levels of competency within two years.

I've used GPT4 quite a bit now for help with coding, its abilities are quite impressive and very helpful, but it gets confused easily and needs the user to have quite a lot of domain knowledge to work well, but in its current incarnation, it's just going to make people more productive. I would guess if the tech stayed stationary from here, it wouldn't revolutionise the world. There's no reason to think it will stay still though.
                                                                              AI alignment is a very difficult problem; my intuition is that it's basically impossible without understanding more about the exact AI we are trying to align. Is it large language models or something else? Probably an unpopular opinion, but part of me thinks we just need to suck it up and see; if it's as dangerous as some people think, then there will be no way to contain it. There's zero per cent chance governments could ban AI research; you'd have to ban computers.

As for the job losses, I don't really think that's an issue for people making AI; it's an issue for society generally. The issue is too broad and important to be left to a narrow band of tech people.
                                                                              Governments should make plans for all the likely scenarios and gauge public opinion.

On that note, nobody really knows what will happen. If someone told me in ten years, the effect of AI was relatively muted, and life went on as well with some boosts to productivity in a lot of areas, I'd believe them, but I'd also buy a future where almost all knowledge-based jobs are redundant in five years. I guess it comes down to whether LLMs continue improving with more data/compute.

Comment

I think it's an unfortunate situation; it should be expected that young people who have very limited life experience might have some crazy beliefs. Before social media, nobody would know or care.

Fair point but all social media does is give a platform for this stuff to come out faster.

If back in the day Sonia O Sullivan held an opinion like Kellie did in a public setting she’d have been asked about it.

The fact she has the opinion is one issue. How she handled the question is another.

Comment

That's probably the best view hj

Comment

So. In the spirit of satnav, that oversharing is overcaring. Here's my suitably anonymised photos after starting to go to the gym: Feb 6th (beginning), Feb 27th (middle), and Mar 28th (now), from left to right. I feel the bulk of the work was done in February really. But then maybe the chest is a fair bit more developed after the March workouts. Still looks very middling, but at least that fucking belly is gone. Not sure the now pic is helped by me clearly using my very expensive new belt to hold up my obviously too loose jeans.

SPOILER

You wear your watch on your right wrist? Confirmed weirdo.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

A hotel. 1 summers experience there, with the bonus of going again next summer if they don't absolutely hate it.

Accommodation, bar, restaurant, kitchen, reception, porter, general duties. Loads of departments.

So much work experience to be gained working in a hotel and will teach them what not to do from dealing with guests who are cunts.
                                                                                      Yeah, I'll get her out job shopping next week. Just needs a bit of a push. Like most middle class kids, she's probably had everything handed to her on a plate but the lure of having actually having some cash will overcome that.

Don't think bar work will fly with Mrs D3, given her professional background (she tends to see the risks in all these situations).

Comment

That would be the mirror image!

Re job
                                                                                        Yes pub job would be good tips usually but late nights
                                                                                        Retail isn't bad either but they would be looking for her to work w/e probably or one day anyway.

If she has some industrious friends in her year or a year above get the old network going. Business owners will often go with the recommendation.
                                                                                        Last edited by dinekes; 29-03-23, 08:31.

Comment

SPOILER

Face is definitely more angular now.
                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

SPOILER

3,1,2
                                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

The Kellie H stuff not a great reflection on her but she’s a soft target for off the ball - guarantee they’ve never asked an even vaguely hardball question of a rugby/gaa player - most of the ones I’ve heard are fairly nauseatingly chummy.

Comment

SPOILER

Gudjaysus

Comment

Yeah, I'll get her out job shopping next week. Just needs a bit of a push. Like most middle class kids, she's probably had everything handed to her on a plate but the lure of having actually having some cash will overcome that.

Don't think bar work will fly with Mrs D3, given her professional background (she tends to see the risks in all these situations).
                                                                                                  Leisure centre perhaps? I did some work experience there and lots of friends have too. No particularly late nights and obviously you get to be pretty active.

Generally a pretty nice environment, plenty of opportunity to work with diverse groups. I got to do work with Kids camps, Boccia with the Special Olympics, work with at risk youths and adults.

Perhaps not the easiest job to come by but if it was something that was possible, it’s worth looking into.

Comment

That’s fair enough. I can see her point.

Although, young people of that age will get their hands on alcohol somehow. And in my experience it’s probably better to be open about it (not saying you’re not). Better than them necking a bottle of vodka down in some field.

Some friends of mine (as is relatively common i’d guess) introduced their 15/16 y/o kids to half a glass of wine or a can of beer at home to try and normalise the often idealised idea kids have of alcohol. Which i think is generally a good idea, but i’ve seen it turn out bad too

Comment

Supermarkets?
                                                                                                      my youngest, 14, did a few weeks in a charity shop. also a friend's daughter worked at pizza express serving. at least you get extra tips and makes nice pocket money!

Comment

That’s fair enough. I can see her point.

Although, young people of that age will get their hands on alcohol somehow. And in my experience it’s probably better to be open about it (not saying you’re not). Better than them necking a bottle of vodka down in some field.

Some friends of mine (as is relatively common i’d guess) introduced their 15/16 y/o kids to half a glass of wine or a can of beer at home to try and normalise the often idealised idea kids have of alcohol. Which i think is generally a good idea, but i’ve seen it turn out bad too
                                                                                                        We usually offer her a glass of wine if it is being served with a meal - and she never takes us up on the offer. She (and her friends) seem pretty puritanical where both booze and drugs are concerned.
                                                                                                        No doubt children 2 and 3 will make up for this character defect.

Comment

pretty standard if you're left handed. confirmed weirdo if he's right handed though!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

pretty standard if you're left handed. confirmed weirdo if he's right handed though!
                                                                                                            Don’t they say that left handed people are generally smarter than their counterparts?

Comment

Don’t they say that left handed people are generally smarter than their counterparts?
                                                                                                              yes we are

Comment

Also more likely to be severe deviants

Comment

She's 33, not 19.

Either stand by your convictions a bit and say something like "I believe there is a duty the government have to local communities when bringing in refugees into the country, and there should be more local involvement in decision making, but that's a conversation for another time" or even perhaps a "it may have been the case that I said something I hadn't fully thought through in the wider context of how it may have been understood by others, but I am not anti-immigrant even though I did express some concern a few months back, but that's a conversation for another time I think". If the tweet was deleted before she must know why and that it may have been picked up at some interview so she or someone in her camp should have been at least a bit prepared for the question. Saying she zoned out, and then saying she was being ambushed about something he said a whole 5 months previously was a terrible reaction.

I get that she may not have extensive education or speaking skills, but the initial instinct of refusal was obviously a terrible strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

She's 33, not 19.

Either stand by your convictions a bit and say something like "I believe there is a duty the government have to local communities when bringing in refugees into the country, and there should be more local involvement in decision making, but that's a conversation for another time" or even perhaps a "it may have been the case that I said something I hadn't fully thought through in the wider context of how it may have been understood by others, but I am not anti-immigrant even though I did express some concern a few months back, but that's a conversation for another time I think". If the tweet was deleted before she must know why and that it may have been picked up at some interview so she or someone in her camp should have been at least a bit prepared for the question. Saying she zoned out, and then saying she was being ambushed about something he said a whole 5 months previously was a terrible reaction.

I get that she may not have extensive education or speaking skills, but the initial instinct of refusal was obviously a terrible strategy.
                                                                                                                    I didn't follow - what did she actually say?

Comment

I think Matt Wallace is an excellent 40/50 to 1 shot for the golf this weekend. He’s in form ad there are no real form winners in this field. Surely a decent bet - Top 8 on Powers.

Disclaimer – I’m no JohnBalfe.

My Stance on the K Harrington thing. For starters girls shouldn’t be boxing or fighting. It’s wrong, wrong, wrong. On her tweet business she made a PR boob . All she needs to say was Oh yeah me mammy had a word with me already and she was right. So now I support diversity. Thanks Mam. Nod and smile until the Spar monies runs out then it’s old news. Who ‘really’ cares. Let’s not all turn into sandy gees over it. I forgive her and would welcome her back into the bosom of relevance. But no more fighting.

Comment

I'm left handed and wear my watch on my left hand - can't be the only one, surely?!

We are unquestionably the superior side of the dichotomy; legendary lefties include Julius Caesar, Leonardo Da Vinci, Mozart, Bowie, Napoleon, Marie Curie, Michelangelo, Churchill, Pele, LeBron, Maradona, Ned Flanders, Barack Obama and possibly even Alexander the Great!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                          I'm left handed and wear my watch on my left hand - can't be the only one, surely?!

We are unquestionably the superior side of the dichotomy; legendary lefties include Julius Caesar, Leonardo Da Vinci, Mozart, Bowie, Napoleon, Marie Curie, Michelangelo, Churchill, Pele, LeBron, Maradona, Ned Flanders, Barack Obama and possibly even Alexander the Great!
                                                                                                                          You can’t have that one. He’s one of those even bigger weirdos (somehow happens a bit in Bball) who lives day to day left handed but shoots the basketball with his right hand.

Happy to go halvsies on Ricky Barry though:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X