Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read Nick Caves comments there. Whilst i'm not a big fan. He's spot on. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
      Bagged 286k at that APT 300. Back tomorrow to 3k/6k.
      9th for 2100. Grinded 15bb since dinner so was a slog. Very happy with the run and to finally catch that final table that has eluded me in a big tournament. AK into QQ for the bust out. Gg

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Don't you ever hear music and think it sounds great without knowing the backstory of where it came from? I can see how you might not develop an emotional attachment toward the creator of AI music the way you do to a band or musician, but that's kind of meta art; it's not really the art itself. For example, if you are watching a film and think the soundtrack is great, would it spoil it slightly afterwards if you found out it wasn't human-created?
        I think it's more the idea that now anyone can do it that I find a little bit depressing.

I think it's interesting/intriguing that you are embracing it being a creator yourself.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I think it's more the idea that now anyone can do it that I find a little bit depressing.

I think it's interesting/intriguing that you are embracing it being a creator yourself.
          I wonder - genuinely - and I'm only trying to work it out as I write this, so its almost certainly flawed - if maybe its a confidence thing. That you are almost idolizing these people as being able to do something you couldn't dream of. I don't mean that in a bad way or a dismissive way, but more that you get enjoyment out of that - of seeing what these great minds can do, and part of the enjoyment is the belief that this is something you could never do.

But maybe that's a defeatist perspective. Now, you or I or HJ or whoever (but maybe not solks) can potentially exceed the greatest minds of the past. Or our kids can. Thats fucking amazing. This is the human race not the human break. We should be trying to break through the sound barrier. We're the people in pole position through a mere accident of being born at this particular time. We need to seize the moment, make and break great new and worrying things.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Ever since reading a book on good writing, I've been experimenting with using a lot more dashs at the end of sentences - like this. Apparently its a classic writing tool to focus the reader on a particular point. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I wonder - genuinely - and I'm only trying to work it out as I write this, so its almost certainly flawed - if maybe its a confidence thing. That you are almost idolizing these people as being able to do something you couldn't dream of. I don't mean that in a bad way or a dismissive way, but more that you get enjoyment out of that - of seeing what these great minds can do, and part of the enjoyment is the belief that this is something you could never do.

But maybe that's a defeatist perspective. Now, you or I or HJ or whoever (but maybe not solks) can potentially exceed the greatest minds of the past. Or our kids can. Thats fucking amazing. This is the human race not the human break. We should be trying to break through the sound barrier. We're the people in pole position through a mere accident of being born at this particular time. We need to seize the moment, make and break great new and worrying things.
              I read a book earlier this week. I'm still recovering. I'm looking forward to uploading this type o thing into the brain in the future . Leaving me free to blow bubbles into me diet coke .

Fun and games in France this week. Whats Macaroons next step ?

Comment

That Reddit post about the AI Harry Potter movie posted above is, like most Reddit posts, melodramatic upvote hunting garbage. There will always be an uncanny valley with this stuff , like self driving cars they will be perpetually 99% of the way there but that extra 1% it doesn’t have will give the game away.

So called AI is irrelevant to if it doesn’t solve the energy and environmental crises,which are at this stage more or less unsolvable . I genuinely feel sorry for people who think the net effect of it will be positive overall for humanity. They are more like the religious folk they love to mock than they realise.

Assume the US and Chinese military industrial complexes have way more advanced stuff ready to fuck peoples heads more than the already very successful job they’ve done with social media
                Last edited by MysteryGuest; 25-03-23, 23:45.
                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

9th for 2100. Grinded 15bb since dinner so was a slog. Very happy with the run and to finally catch that final table that has eluded me in a big tournament. AK into QQ for the bust out. Gg
                  Fair play!

Comment

Well done Dobby

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Im all for that when it comes to solving complex problems for the betterment of humanity and the environment. All for it being used for scientific and industrial innovation.

The world needs a Joyce, a Hendrix, a Picasso, a Coppola to make it colourful, layered and interesting though. The works of these people are only inspiring and colourful because of the outstanding genius that created them.

When genius is democratised, it's no longer genius. It's mediocrity.
                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                        Was only discussing recently how formulaic music and movies have become anyway. . Was rewatching 12 Angry men recently - I dont think AI could create the nuance in the characters personalities . The appreciation of the soul of creativity relies on its human connection . AI can't provide that as it's Artificial. We won't listen to poetry generated be something that can't feel it's own words . So AI may be able to skilfully match and exceed many artistic genres and styles. It cannot ever soulfully match it. I will add that humans seem to be less concerned about this in 2023 then in 2003 - look around. Hopefully a 2nd renaissance will happen and the vulnerability that comes with being an emotional being will drives us to get back to a skilled artistic 'human' approach to art as opposed to a production line facsimile
                        I agree that AI is nowhere close to creating the nuance in 12 angry men. But I don’t think anyone is claiming it will either. A typical length movie is a massive number of creative decisions. If we’re going to have a serious comparison it makes more sense to start small.

I think your poetry line is a good litmus test;

We won't listen to poetry generated be something that can't feel it's own words
                        And I think I’d disagree tbh.

Firstly, how many people (here or anywhere) actually listen to/read contemporary poetry? It’s not really a celebrated genre, I can think of one guy, and everyone else is from a school book. It’s hardly a medium that is thriving, or producing notable content.

If we were to post 5 contemporary poems, and said two were AI generated. I don’t think we’d single them out too quickly, if at all.
                        Does that meant all opinions are withheld until you find out which was real. Seems shallow to me. Of course knowing will affect our opinions, but I don’t think it’s required knowledge to appreciate any of them.
                        An opinion on art, there the end results is irrelevant seems, to me, inherently hollow.

And of course, human connection can easily be artificial too. Presenting somebody’s work as your own emotion is not a new trick. If anything, AI is the death of plagiarism.
                        Last edited by Mellor; 26-03-23, 01:50.

Comment

It's a bit like how electrons behave during the double slit experiment...contrary little bastards when they think they are being watched

THe audience or observer wants to share the experience with the performer or artist to a certain extent.
                          Think of Adele's performance at the Brit awards "Someone like you"
                          It resonated with every single person there and all watching because we have all been there and shared that pain.

If we know it's a robot AI Adele...oh that's a nice song wow..can we get another round please please...as there is no shared connection
                          ​

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

The world needs a Joyce, a Hendrix, a Picasso, a Coppola to make it colourful, layered and interesting though. The works of these people are only inspiring and colourful because of the outstanding genius that created them.
                            Forgetting about AI for a moment, is this really true? Doesn't their work stand on its own merits? How do one-hit wonders fit into this system?

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                              It's a bit like how electrons behave during the double slit experiment...contrary little bastards when they think they are being watched

THe audience or observer wants to share the experience with the performer or artist to a certain extent.
                              It resonated with every single person there and all watching because we have all been there and shared that pain.

If we know it's a robot AI Adele...oh that's a nice song wow..can we get another round please please...as there is no shared connection
                              ​
                              The existence of AI doesn’t undermine that connection imo. Similarly, had they just stuck on an Adele CD at the Brit awards, the whole thing diminishes. Even the the emotion that wrote the words is the same.
                              A performance, or piece of art, is the sum of it’s parts.

Not every song has such a deep meaning, or any meaning. The vast majority of music is not on that level and works in a more basic sense. I see AI as no more detrimental to the music industry as Auto-tune, Ghost writers or anything like that. It will replace the cookie-cutter stuff. Not Adele.

The entertainment industry knows emotion sells. Look at Americans got talent, Idol, X Factor - every second contestant is peddling some sob story. Some undoubtedly very true and sad, but you just know the producers and prodding for the angle stage.
                              Does a hammed up sob story add to a performance? Probably.

Ultimately art is simply a medium that manipulates human emotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

Thanks for the heads up. Are all the events that week in the championship links and not the Annesley links?
                                Most of them are on the championship links. There was no online booking last year, you had to ring to book. It was a nightmare. The day you could book I rang ~100 times to try and get through. When I finally got through I think I confirmed 3 or 4 times with the receptionist that it was the championship course!

Hence they went with online booking this year. On the Mourne GC homepage it says it'll be a variety of Championship links and Annesley. I'm guessing they might have a couple of the ladies comps on the Annesley. When you go to book a certain day it will say at the top of the page which course it is
                                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                  Jaysus.

The media coverage around this seems to have become rather peculiar. The case is quite unique but I can’t recall a case so sensitive in nature being handled in the media the way that it is.

The headline on the Independent’s site this morning with their solicitor:

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

The media coverage around this seems to have become rather peculiar. The case is quite unique but I can’t recall a case so sensitive in nature being handled in the media the way that it is.

The headline on the Independent’s site this morning
                                    I Initially but surprised that they were arrested and not brought off to a quiet room with neutral broker to have a chat about things and see if they were willing to come clean in the face of DNA evidence.

Then the baby had 28 stab wounds and a broken neck.
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I Initially but surprised that they were arrested and not brought off to a quiet room with neutral broker to have a chat about things and see if they were willing to come clean in the face of DNA evidence.

Then the baby had 28 stab wounds and a broken neck.
                                      That’s one of the main reasons why I find the media coverage so peculiar.

When was the last time the solicitor in a case remotely so sensitive was posing effectively on the front of a national newspaper especially so early on.

It’s just the interaction in the media I find quite unusual.

Comment

The ability of AI to make genuine art is a bit moot at the moment.

In a nutshell I think it'll probably replace Ed Sheeran but it won't replace Bob Dylan,Nikki Minaj but not Nick Cave.
                                        It will easily replace all the marvel and other shite movies but it will never be Orson Welles or Kubrick.
                                        That wouldn't really matter, there will be no more nor no less humanity in the mass market schlok than the is now. I think it's more likely the market for genuine human creativity will expand rather than shrink.

Poetry will probably be of one of the more interesting areas. It's easy to imagine it creating poems that we enjoy reading and that appear profound but poetry is about much more than the individual poem, all great poetry is about the humanity, the body of work and the life of the artist.

Mostly I think the concerns about art are a sideshow, most of the works of these tools are going to be doing will be the purely technical.
                                        The places we need to be worried about and looking at carefully is how they can be used to influence the public conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

​
                                          Would it have made a difference if AI had written the song she performed? Adele works with teams of writers, but I don't think that detects from the music.

Comment

I hadn't seen this clip before - Banks in 2008 vs 2023 what’s the difference?

Comment

Last edited by Denny Crane; 15-04-23, 23:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Would it have made a difference if AI had written the song she performed? Adele works with teams of writers, but I don't think that detects from the music.
                                                There a lot of elements in a performance obviously.
                                                I think her audience respond to the perceived truth of her experience.

If an AI were to compose something about the loneliness of perfection it would probably be a huge hit given our desire to anthropromorphise everything.

Comment

Have to stop playing poker after a few
                                                  Booked a win last night thinking I was probably breaking even after a string of losses

Not even close

Comment

Half Nutz 2.00 naas

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                      Banks in 2008 vs 2023 what’s the difference?
                                                      • Much better capitalised
                                                      • No underlying market distortion (e.g. CDOs)
                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

A Town Called Malice on Sky is great mindless fun. Incompetent London gangsters doing violent things in 1980s Costa Del Sol, with a cracking soundtrack.
                                                        Anyone who liked the same channels Brassic would probably enjoy it

Comment

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                            • Much better capitalised
                                                            • No underlying market distortion (e.g. CDOs)
                                                            Credit Suisse is a G-SIB so follows Dodd Frank-could be Basel 3 for EU- and it’s still where it’s at now.

That said, had Dodd-Frank been applied to SVB & others, they may not have ended up in this position.

More likely would not have ended up there had someone in their risk dept realised the issue with being so heavily invested in LT vs ST Bills.
                                                            Just clearly such a high risk spot when their clientele is so heavily weighted in a small group of flighty investors.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              The ability of AI to make genuine art is a bit moot at the moment.

In a nutshell I think it'll probably replace Ed Sheeran but it won't replace Bob Dylan,Nikki Minaj but not Nick Cave.
                                                              It will easily replace all the marvel and other shite movies but it will never be Orson Welles or Kubrick.
                                                              That wouldn't really matter, there will be no more nor no less humanity in the mass market schlok than the is now. I think it's more likely the market for genuine human creativity will expand rather than shrink.

Poetry will probably be of one of the more interesting areas. It's easy to imagine it creating poems that we enjoy reading and that appear profound but poetry is about much more than the individual poem, all great poetry is about the humanity, the body of work and the life of the artist.

Mostly I think the concerns about art are a sideshow, most of the works of these tools are going to be doing will be the purely technical.
                                                              The places we need to be worried about and looking at carefully is how they can be used to influence the public conversation.
                                                              Why do you think AI art would stop at that particular line? Granted we are talking many years in the future, but why is there an invisible forcefield between Ed Sheehan and Bob Dylan? Is it just difficulty? Will the compute not exist? Possibly there is a difference, but you haven't articulated why that would be a constraint.

(Bob Dylan is an interesting example because his success is in a large part down to being able to research a sub-genre heavily and regurgitate its best bits to a wider audience and then move on)

If you think back to the original Blade Runner, would the replicants not be capable of making original art? What gives humans some innate advantage over a mechanical system? Especially if the mechanical system has had experiences very close to human. What's the difference?

Comment

Strange one on betfair there. Stuck a bet on and was unmatched so i cancelled it. Balance never updated and now bet not showing anywhere (i.e. matched/unmatched or cancelled). Agent cant do anything as cant see/find it. To quote Warden Norton "Lord! It's a miracle! Up and vanished like a fart in the wind!

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Credit Suisse is a G-SIB so follows Dodd Frank-could be Basel 3 for EU- and it’s still where it’s at now.

That said, had Dodd-Frank been applied to SVB & others, they may not have ended up in this position.

More likely would not have ended up there had someone in their risk dept realised the issue with being so heavily invested in LT vs ST Bills.
                                                                  Just clearly such a high risk spot when their clientele is so heavily weighted in a small group of flighty investors.
                                                                  CS and Deutsche have been clear outliers for a long time - poorly run organisations who tried, and failed badly, to compete on a global scale. I wouldn't infer anything systemic from either.

Closer to home, there's only one obvious joke bank remaining on the Irish scene.

Comment

Jaysus lads,
                                                                    looks like a poker player has infiltrated our site.
                                                                    Presumably it's just an AI bot taking a break after spending the day
                                                                    directing Henry Fonda movies
                                                                    and writing songs for the Bad Seeds.

WP Dobby.

Comment

From yesterday's NY Times - What’s Driving a Fresh Wave of Irish Music? Tradition.

Comment

Somehow i have both Burns and Young backed e/w in the golf. Optimally i should cash one out now or in play to maximise returns as one will obviously lose.

But i don’t know how to do that really so just let it ride?

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                                          Somehow i have both Burns and Young backed e/w in the golf. Optimally i should cash one out now or in play to maximise returns as one will obviously lose.

But i don’t know how to do that really so just let it ride?
                                                                          Keep laying the fav on Betfair and hopefully it switches a few times and you can green up there for loads.
                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Keep laying the fav on Betfair and hopefully it switches a few times and you can green up there for loads.
                                                                            Don’t have an account unfortunately.

Comment

Entertaining stream. Doug and Bill Perkins playing heads-up at 200/400. Perkins just won a $450k pot after being stuck a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Why do you think AI art would stop at that particular line? Granted we are talking many years in the future, but why is there an invisible forcefield between Ed Sheehan and Bob Dylan? Is it just difficulty? Will the compute not exist? Possibly there is a difference, but you haven't articulated why that would be a constraint.

(Bob Dylan is an interesting example because his success is in a large part down to being able to research a sub-genre heavily and regurgitate its best bits to a wider audience and then move on)

If you think back to the original Blade Runner, would the replicants not be capable of making original art? What gives humans some innate advantage over a mechanical system? Especially if the mechanical system has had experiences very close to human. What's the difference?
                                                                                Your observation about Dylan is something I mentioned later today when I was having the same conversation with someone, but it chimes well with what Denny said a few posts back abous the type of creativity that tickles the brain.

I guess the longer term question is down to whether this statistical language model develops into AGI.

Comment

Perkins always always strikes me as the kinda guy that's bound to turn up embroiled in a scandal. He could have only made his money from inside trading or other nefarious avenues.

Comment

Never really got the appeal of Reggie.

(Tiny dancer an exception) but where's the dynamics. It's all verses.

Feel like the producer from the Sopranos. Where's the choruses?

Comment

The negotiating raise sizes is quite fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Never really got the appeal of Reggie.

(Tiny dancer an exception) but where's the dynamics. It's all verses.

Feel like the producer from the Sopranos. Where's the choruses?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xvVHH230Ggo
                                                                                        I like about 3 or 4 songs. Love watching the process of creating songs and have always found it fascinating. As I have zero musical understanding of how to do it.There is a McCartney doc on apple which is amazing which I watched just after Get Back. (Tiny dancer is the nut Elton song)

Comment

MrsD3 is currently mad into Philomena Cunk. I found her funny for about 5mins and then it got boring.

Comment

MrsD3 is currently mad into Philomena Cunk. I found her funny for about 5mins and then it got boring.
                                                                                            I'm loving your wife, from what little snippets you've revealed about her.
                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Don’t have an account unfortunately.
                                                                                              Pity, you would be up nicely already. Well done on having both finalists.

Comment

On Level 3 of this guys abs workout now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrsl...nnel=MiDASMVMT

Essentially its all different varieties of planks. Level 2 had some brutal side planks involving lifting your 'spare' leg horizontally while holding the plank. This level is a lot of high planks with a whole lot of waving around one arm while stabilising yourself with the other.

Very noticeable changes around the abs region. Seems to be doing good things for the running and the gym also - maybe that solid core (not really sure what a core specifically is, i guess its innate body strength) is helping out with those other exercises.

Comment

I am enjoying this - a little dense, but great distinguishing AGI (G for General) from AI and lots of physics and philosophy.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000605565529

Tim Ferriss talking to David Deutsch and Naval Ravikant

Comment

I think she's great, but it is kinda exhausting stuff as it's non-stop gags so works best in 5/10 minute doses. It actually started off as 5 minute interludes in Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe & review of the year programmes.

Comment

I see it's the last renewal of the golf Matchplay event, cancelled after this year.
                                                                                                      Always been a slightly strange event where the best day is the Saturday when the Last 16 and Last 8 take place with lots of games going on. And then the Sunday final comes and you've just two players (often of little interest) to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Pity, you would be up nicely already. Well done on having both finalists.
                                                                                                        Thanks. Slightly bizarre in a way but i’ll take it. Right guy won anyhow

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                          I see it's the last renewal of the golf Matchplay event, cancelled after this year.
                                                                                                          Always been a slightly strange event where the best day is the Saturday when the Last 16 and Last 8 take place with lots of games going on. And then the Sunday final comes and you've just two players (often of little interest) to watch.
                                                                                                          I obviously had interest in it but a shot of lads said independently that they really enjoyed it over the last couple days

The course is set up so that there are plenty of birdies available but there are pitfalls. Think its ideal IMO

Think it helped that Rory and Scott were in the ‘consolation’

Often times its a drab but i’d say both wanted to beat eachother.

That was my impression anyway, but was in pub so couldn’t really see.

Comment

I think she's great, but it is kinda exhausting stuff as it's non-stop gags so works best in 5/10 minute doses. It actually started off as 5 minute interludes in Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe & review of the year programmes.
                                                                                                            It's a similar shtick to Dennis Pennis and yes, 5 mins is probably perfect.

Comment

yeah that sounds about right. even the master of the domain - the one and only ali g - got old very quick

Comment

Am about a year late watching This Is Going to Hurt. Very decent.

Comment

One big thing I've noticed with ChatGPT - it has absolutely destroyed Google for me. Like, you want to know something and Google invariably simply doesn't tell you the answer. It goes 'heres a few websites that might have the answer'. wtf - just tell me the answer! And usually the websites it links to don't have the answer, they just so happen to be really well SEO-optimised to get to the top of the ranking. Plus, all the fucking adverts both on the google page and on any linked website that is really well SEO optimised. I'll still use Google to find e.g. the website of a restaurant, or to log in to a website, or something like that, but its painful now to use it for actual information searching.

Wonder what their plan is? They can't abandon the shitty model they've iterated towards and they are fully reliant on that advert income, but surely they are going to lose a decent amount of search volume.

Comment

The Aul Switcharoo Thanks for the RCD shout. Got sorted this morning.

Bookings were broken until about 9:20. Thankfully i didn't give up. Playing the Fourball with the old man on Tuesday. Bucket list stuff.

Still some availability through the week. https://visitors.brsgolf.com/mourne#/open-competitions

Comment

ChatGPT does make stuff up though. I was asking it for references and quotes in an area I know well, and when I checked source material it was giving wrong references. And declaring things which weren't true.

Quite a lot of bluffing tbh.

I suppose the difference is that you can discriminate yourself reading websites based on their quality, comparing the information across different ones, and your own knowledge of the area. Maybe ChatGPT doesn't.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by hotspur; 27-03-23, 09:50.

Comment

Hey. I have a thought. Think it would be cool to learn to sing a song - like just a single song, no particular song in mind - would that be the type of thing you could hire a singing instructor for, or they'd waste your time with all types of introductory stuff ala Phoebe before getting on to the singing?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                          ChatGPT does make stuff up though. I was asking it for references and quotes in an area I know well, and when I checked source material it was giving wrong references. And declaring things which weren't true.

Quite a lot of bluffing tbh.

I suppose the difference is that you can discriminate yourself reading websites based on their quality, comparing the information across different ones, and your own knowledge of the area. Maybe ChatGPT doesn't.
                                                                                                                          Yeah. If I was reading to try to 'form thoughts' I'd do my own reading of the underlying stuff. Its more than 50% of my searches would be - how do I do this thing / what does this mean. It would all be fairly obvious stuff, I just happen to not know it, so there's minimal scope for ChatGPT to 'hallucinate' as the lingo goes.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X