X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    I'd say -

1. Ukraine obv has the international community to help it with weaponry, but that's probably just a temporary advantage. Russia isn't standing still, even if it feels like they are using the kitchen sink of 1950s weapons right now. They've had a year to switch to a wartime economy, and that will include ensuring a rampup in weaponry supply chains. They have the funds to support that also. Any weapons advantage will fundamentally become a draw.
    Do you think Russian-made weapons can compete with the best stuff the west has to offer? Even at the best of times for the Russians this wouldn't be true, but with their access to materials very limited the disparity is even greater.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
      Must be a cut above.

They haven’t exactly thrived in the interim, despite the massive infrastructure advantages, vs. Say many countries in Africa.
      Thrived or recovered ,

Comment

This new Joaquin Phoenix film looks great (if totally bonkers) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiWDn976Ek

I've come completely full circle on Joaquin, I think he might be my favourite currently working actor.

Comment

A song that is forever pertinent.

Comment

So I should stick forever to a wrong view I had before the war started a year ago? I don't get the logic. When new information arrives you update your beliefs - doesn't everyone do this? I'm scared to think how you live your life if you don't do the same
            I'm all for updating opinions, of course, you are right it's crazy not to, but it's also important to remember you don't need to have an opinion on everything, especially subjects you have a history of being wrong upon.

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations: “It is in our power to have no opinion about a thing, and not to be disturbed in our soul; for things themselves have no natural power to form our judgements.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I'm all for updating opinions, of course, you are right it's crazy not to, but it's also important to remember you don't need to have an opinion on everything, especially subjects you have a history of being wrong upon.

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations: “It is in our power to have no opinion about a thing, and not to be disturbed in our soul; for things themselves have no natural power to form our judgements.”
              "This is the biggest news story this decade and could well shape the next few decades of geopolitics. Why would anyone sit by the wayside and decide to have no thoughts on the matter, or try to understand it." (Marcus Aurelius - Biggicus Uppicus Yourselficus).
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Has anyone played around with the new version of Mid Journey released this week? I haven't had a chance yet but the images I have seen posted are incredible. The ones below are all created by it.

The sheer amount of progress happening week to week is insane in so many areas - https://www.reddit.com/r/ChatGPT/com...in_ai_history/

four.jpg

one.jpg

two.jpg

image_5407.jpg

three.jpg
                Last edited by Opr; 23-03-23, 16:51.

Comment

Do you think Russian-made weapons can compete with the best stuff the west has to offer? Even at the best of times for the Russians this wouldn't be true, but with their access to materials very limited the disparity is even greater.
                  Don't think they can compete on advanced specs. But ultimately it's now close range war rather than precision targeting. You broadly just want the thing to explode, there's not the same need for precision.

I don't know about this, but I did read The Wages Of Destruction about Germany during World War 2, where Germany was cut off from nearly all global resources for making weapons and still kept things going. Russia is in nowhere near that limited a situation. Plus switching to a wartime economy tends to brutally focus the economy on producing what is needed.

Comment

I was watching a youtube video on how to train a model to sing in a particular singer's style. So you can train it and then give it text and it will sing the song/lyrics you give it as if it was that singer who recorded it. It is a fairly elaborate process but found the video interesting, it was only about 5 minutes into the video when the person used Ariana Grande as an example of the artist she was about to splice and dice to get sing a new tune that it clicked the person narrating the video tutorial is also using Ariana's voice. Man things are going to get so fucking weird,

Edit - Just as an example of how good this has gotten already! This is an AI.

Last edited by Opr; 23-03-23, 17:08.

Comment

jesus opr - both of those things are mad progress.

Comment

"This is the biggest news story this decade and could well shape the next few decades of geopolitics. Why would anyone sit by the wayside and decide to have no thoughts on the matter, or try to understand it." (Marcus Aurelius - Biggicus Uppicus Yourselficus).
                        Because you don't know anything about it and it's a total waste of time?

Comment

Just as a second response. I was reading Chip War recently - focusing a fair bit on semiconductor chips in weaponry. And there's massive Western (+Taiwan) leadership in that space, so yep Russia can't get those chips. But the most modern chips are for super fancy things such as retargeting and dynamic targeting of weapons while in flight. But you don't really need those for standard weaponry. Below that top level you can get any amount of chips you want without touching Western countries. So, really its hard to imagine that there really is a supply issue for standard weaponry.

The issue here is that the longer the war goes on the more the weaponry on both sides - for all practical purposes - will be a draw.

Comment

Because you don't know anything about it and it's a total waste of time?
                            1) I do know a bit about it

2) Its never a waste of time to try to understand whats happening in the world. At the very least, the act of writing out your thoughts on something helps you to understand if how you think you are understanding something makes sense when its all down on paper. Don't be so defeatist HJ, you too can be like me some day

Comment

1) I do know a bit about it

2) Its never a waste of time to try to understand whats happening in the world. At the very least, the act of writing out your thoughts on something helps you to understand if how you think you are understanding something makes sense when its all down on paper. Don't be so defeatist HJ, you too can be like me some day
                              In your case, the act of writing out something on paper gives you a position you will defend until the end of time, facts & logic being mere pawns to be brushed aside in your quest to defend whatever ridiculous position you came out with first!

It can be quite liberating to realise you can be interested in something without necessarily having an opinion on it or to have an opinion that you realise is so uninformed that you don't share it or put too much stock in it.
                              Last edited by Hectorjelly; 23-03-23, 17:50.

Comment

This new Joaquin Phoenix film looks great (if totally bonkers) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiWDn976Ek

I've come completely full circle on Joaquin, I think he might be my favourite currently working actor.
                                He's really good
                                if you haven't seen it "You were never really here" is a great film
                                'Walk the Line' another good one

Comment

In your case, the act of writing out something on paper gives you a position you will defend until the end of time, facts & logic being mere pawns to be brushed aside in your quest to defend whatever ridiculous position you came out with first!
                                  You may want to have a word with limpwhacker then, who felt I'd managed to completely change my opinion. Don't be a hater hj, you're a music guy now - you'll end up like alannis morrisette

Comment

Best show so far! We got some Salsa, some afrobeat, a couple of slow thai and a few tracks from a great new rapper I just came across - Mach-Hommy. Enjoy!

https://www.mixcloud.com/camp_fr/sho...th-march-2023/
                                    The first part of this piqued my interest wondering what new TV show had you so excited. It didn't last.

Good that plenty here do enjoy it though, and that you are so passionate about it.

Comment

You may want to have a word with limpwhacker then, who felt I'd managed to completely change my opinion. Don't be a hater hj, you're a music guy now - you'll end up like alannis morrisette
                                      HJ is going to have 10,000 spoons?

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                        Has anyone played around with the new version of Mid Journey released this week? I haven't had a chance yet but the images I have seen posted are incredible. The ones below are all created by it.

The sheer amount of progress happening week to week is insane in so many areas

three.jpg
                                        You wouldn't want that AI Cop thumb up your ass.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

A cross between a mickey and a chicken drumstick.

Why does it find hands so difficult?

Comment

Denny Crane or whoever else is playing poker these days. That €300 game with 50k gtd is in City north tomorrow and Saturday. Day 1A at 12pm, day 1B at 6pm, day 1C turbo 11am Saturday. Day 2 Saturday at 3pm.

50k chips, 20-30-40min clock.

Comment

jesus opr - both of those things are mad progress.
                                              We are probably living right now in the last time where you can at least mostly believe in what you see and hear. The first version v1 was released in mid-2022 and the latest version is v5. This is the progression in that time using this prompt.

"Red haired woman wearing sunglasses standing with the Statue of Liberty in the background, photograph, 35mm film"

v1

v2

v3

v4

v5

Last edited by Opr; 23-03-23, 19:23.

Comment

Even for you claiming the Russians didn't invade would be quite a stretch!

Comment

Woke up this morning to the top headline on world service news being that the US will impose financial sanctions on Uganda if they activate a new law they passed earlier this week that will make homosexuality even more illegal than it already is by allowing the death penalty for it.
                                                  Bad news for the two lads who were beside me on the plane in who came across as maybe a bit too flamboyant for the Dublin gay scene.

It was barely mentioned in the TV news headlines and we are now 25 minutes in to the nightly TV news without any mention of it, but there are some properly bizarre stories, including one guy talking about a music and arts event who should be getting a bit sweaty.

I joke but obv its very serious, though it seems that there is more to it than just homophobia,
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                    Denny Crane or whoever else is playing poker these days. That €300 game with 50k gtd is in City north tomorrow and Saturday. Day 1A at 12pm, day 1B at 6pm, day 1C turbo 11am Saturday. Day 2 Saturday at 3pm.

Thanks! I'd forgotten about that one.

Can't make Friday, might give the turbo a spin

Comment

We are probably living right now in the last time where you can at least mostly believe in what you see and hear. The first version v1 was released in mid-2022 and the latest version is v5. This is the progression in that time using this prompt.

"Red haired woman wearing sunglasses standing with the Statue of Liberty in the background, photograph, 35mm film"

v1

v2

v3

v4

v5

That is incredible.

Exponential growth was always predicted with this wasn't it?

Am I alone in being uneasy about it? As amazing as it is.

Comment

The whole concept of 'photographic evidence' is now dead.

What are the implications of that?

Comment

Leave poor old whacker out of it. Be lucky if I'm alive before it all ends ffs. I'll get my coat and allow you fine gentlemen to conclude the discussion . Enlightened I depart.

Comment

There’s only 2 ways the war in Ukraine end
                                                            WW3 or the Ukrainians being betrayed by the west and being forced to accept a compromise.
                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

That is incredible.

We should be deeply deeply uneasy, but also find the bits to be enthusiastic about

Comment

At least we can finally fake the moon landings.

Comment

The issue is it's not going back in the bag

Comment

Also, 5, 2, 1, 4, 3

Comment

That is incredible.

A few nanoseconds on Twitter and it would probably self terminate

Comment

That is incredible.

There is an extreme feeling of unease surrounding the whole area of AI. It is the unknown more than anything that I think drives that feeling. Equally, it is exciting, amazing, and awe-inspiring. The potential and possibilities are endless. We still have no real idea of how this is going to play out and the ways in which it will change and impact the world. No one seems to fully understand the direction it is all heading and we just march on making progress which feels scary at times given how fast things are moving in the space.

We can't even solve the alignment problem for the human race and yet somehow we think it will all be fine if the machine somehow wakes up anytime soon.

The issue is it's not going back in the bag
                                                                        “Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.”

Comment

The person who drew this with a pencil gives me a grester feeling of inadequacy than AI.
                                                                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                            Woke up this morning to the top headline on world service news being that the US will impose financial sanctions on Uganda if they activate a new law they passed earlier this week that will make homosexuality even more illegal than it already is by allowing the death penalty for it.
                                                                            Bad news for the two lads who were beside me on the plane in who came across as maybe a bit too flamboyant for the Dublin gay scene.

It was barely mentioned in the TV news headlines and we are now 25 minutes in to the nightly TV news without any mention of it, but there are some properly bizarre stories, including one guy talking about a music and arts event who should be getting a bit sweaty.

I joke but obv its very serious, though it seems that there is more to it than just homophobia,
                                                                            I was in a bar over there with a local, and she started laughing and pointing to a flamboyant guy. She asked me, "do you think he is a gay?" as if he was an alien. Was actually a bit unnerving.

The papers had letters to the editor from children about how to avoid HIV and to avoid homosexuals. You can easily see how it builds up and gets worse over time.

Comment

Maybe it may be the only useful blockchain tech - cameras that sign off on photos being taken in a location.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Thanks! I'd forgotten about that one.

Can't make Friday, might give the turbo a spin
                                                                                They've extended the clock for the turbo and pushed day 2 from 2pm to 3pm to give people who can only make the Saturday more play.

Comment

I might have already said this, but as soon as I get back from a bit of travelling mid-April, I'm spending 90% of my time on AI learning and development. Its just astounding everything that is happening. My first set of emails April 16th will be - its great we're working on [whatever], I'll talk to you again in September. Keep well.

Comment

What game is that? The only city north I can think of would be 4 kings in sword, but don't think it is that. Who running it?
                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

What game is that? The only city north I can think of would be 4 kings in sword, but don't think it is that. Who running it?
                                                                                      City North Hotel, after Balbriggan exit on the M1. Run by Jason Thompkins.

Comment

Yeah, as Danny says it's the city north hotel out the M1. Jason Tompkins is over it, Liam Delaney is TD and they're sponsored by WPT.

Website is basic but is still in development as a brand new tour. I was dealing for their 1st game in Carlow a few weeks ago and all the feedback from players was very positive so will be interesting to see how this one goes.

Comment

Yeah, as Danny says it's the city north hotel out the M1. Jason Tompkins is over it, Liam Delaney is TD and they're sponsored by WPT.

Website is basic but is still in development as a brand new tour. I was dealing for their 1st game in Carlow a few weeks ago and all the feedback from players was very positive so will be interesting to see how this one goes.

https://www.actionpokertour.com/
                                                                                          Cool, little far for me, will stick to the Bonnington as they have 10k game guaranteed for Saturday.
                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Cool, little far for me, will stick to the Bonnington as they have 10k game guaranteed for Saturday.
                                                                                            Yeah, I've got that pinned as my back up plan if I don't make day 2 or bust it early. Hate missing those Bonnington games but city north is only over the road from me so makes sense to pop over to it after work tomorrow.

Comment

Apprentice

SPOILER
                                                                                              The man is worth over a billion. There was two great ideas - just pop some money in both. Obv Marnie was a mile ahead - its a fucking great idea, but the idea of creating a high-end chain specialising in Black haircuts is actually a great one also. The Black hairdressing industry is ripe for consolidation, its all very one-person stores, low-end feel to them - a decent high-end chain would probably make a fortune. On the other side, Marnie maybe sold out too cheap if its a 50:50 arrangement or something like that. Fair play on AJ for calling it, but Rochelle isn't quite the dud I was expecting, its a decent idea.

Comment

Don't think I believe this. AI is really going to overdrive online grifters.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AKASpence...96893576601600

Comment

I might have already said this, but as soon as I get back from a bit of travelling mid-April, I'm spending 90% of my time on AI learning and development. Its just astounding everything that is happening. My first set of emails April 16th will be - its great we're working on [whatever], I'll talk to you again in September. Keep well.
                                                                                                  I find it difficult to find where the edge in pure AI will come from. Anything success will have no moat and will be early replicable.

I can huge boosts for existing industries getting more efficient. But not so sure about medium long-term projects for indie dev.

Massive consumer surpluses ahead though.

Comment

Don't think I believe this. AI is really going to overdrive online grifters.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AKASpence...96893576601600
                                                                                                    I am not sure what sounds implausible in doing the above. It is just the same as writing a query to ChatGPT saying I have X store selling Y things with a few bits more of information and asking it for a product idea. You then scale this up by scraping the data for each store and creating some kind of automatic process to email the stores.

This kind of personalization done at scale very quickly is one of the areas in which it really shines.

There was a thread on Reddit the other day where a company owner thinks 30-40% of the CV's they are getting are using ChatGPT. So you can ask it to improve your current CV but then you can also give it the CV, some personal info about yourself, and then some company info and it will write you a tailored cover letter for each company/job.

People are probably using the tech in all sorts of amazing ways we haven't heard about yet because as you said in the other post once it is public anyone can replicate what they are doing instantly.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Opr; 24-03-23, 09:15.

Comment

It now supports some plugins so has limited access to the internet. It can do maths now zuutroy though Wolphra Alpha.

The way in which the ecosystem is being developed for these plugins feels like a precursor to what is to come with programming and natural language.

Comment

I find it difficult to find where the edge in pure AI will come from. Anything success will have no moat and will be early replicable.

I can huge boosts for existing industries getting more efficient. But not so sure about medium long-term projects for indie dev.

Massive consumer surpluses ahead though.
                                                                                                        Yep, this makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Photographs have been easy to manipulate for decades. Same with audio recordings. They’re are only ever useful as evidence when there is a verifiable source and a chain of custody. Eg collect by the police from the source or whatever.

Started playing with AI for concept work a while ago. I felt it lacked an understanding of mechanics, understandably. But it’s been getting increasing better at photorealistic people. Including pornographic images. Yeah, I went there. Curiosity

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Photographs have been easy to manipulate for decades. Same with audio recordings. They’re are only ever useful as evidence when there is a verifiable source and a chain of custody. Eg collect by the police from the source or whatever.

Comment

I am not sure what sounds implausible in doing the above. It is just the same as writing a query to ChatGPT saying I have X store selling Y things with a few bits more of information and asking it for a product idea. You then scale this up by scraping the data for each store and creating some kind of automatic process to email the stores.

This kind of personalization done at scale very quickly is one of the areas in which it really shines.

There was a thread on Reddit the other day where a company owner thinks 30-40% of the CV's they are getting are using ChatGPT. So you can ask it to improve your current CV but then you can also give it the CV, some personal info about yourself, and then some company info and it will write you a tailored cover letter for each company/job.

People are probably using the tech in all sorts of amazing ways we haven't heard about yet because as you said in the other post once it is public anyone can replicate what they are doing instantly.
                                                                                                              It's definitely doable.

I just found it hard to believe that the owner of such a large business would be so public and open about working like that. The risks would be too high.

Comment

There has been some back and forth over the last few days between Polk and Berkey. I am not even fully sure what the beef is about. Does anyone know the details? Doug though released this video today. He goes hard when he doesn't like someone . . . .

Comment

There was something about trying to organise a HU match between Nik airball and Berkey that Polk was facilitating or organising and Berkey backed out and seem to have kicked it off. That's my vague impression anyway. Poker Twitter is very cringey

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                                    There was something about trying to organise a HU match between Nik airball and Berkey that Polk was facilitating or organising and Berkey backed out and seem to have kicked it off. That's my vague impression anyway. Poker Twitter is very cringey
                                                                                                                    Basically the grown up version of whose Da would win in a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Not that grown up.

HU for rollz

Comment

This is a really good listen that got released today on the topic of current AI progress and if we are doing a good job at being responsible around it.

The AI Dilemma

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Not that grown up.

HU for rollz
                                                                                                                          Well it worked in the case of Negreanu and he did end up winning millions from it

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X