This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

wha? I've been on here for 13 years and have been wrong on 95% of the things I've said over that time period.
    Yep but the other 5 % was against me.

Bit like Kayroo in reverse - hes right 95% but imo iv'e skinned him the other 5 % ..

Anyhoo id argue with a something or other

Comment

Mad to see it, 15 years of stagnant wages. Remember hearing about this type of thing in Japan and wondering where it all went wrong. But Britain has stagnated without anywhere near the same level of innate wealth as the Japanese. You could realistically see a future where the next generation are significantly poorer than the last generation, which is almost unheard of in modern history.
      Do you see this as a uniquely British problem or is it something trending elsewhere?

On a related note; the definition of costs, has that changed over time or has at least the distribution of costs changed? Perhaps not all that much in the past 15 years but perhaps between generations.

Comment

Pretty irresponsible not to have a stash of cigs in the house for bartering purposes when the shit hits the fan.
        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Do you see this as a uniquely British problem or is it something trending elsewhere?

On a related note; the definition of costs, has that changed over time or has at least the distribution of costs changed? Perhaps not all that much in the past 15 years but perhaps between generations.
          I *think* I see it as a problem of countries that are closed in mindset, that look to the past too much. Those countries tend not to be as reflective as, e.g. the likes of Ireland, that recognise some of their past mistakes and want to make a future that is better than the past. So those types of countries tend to be quite progressive, and progressiveness attracts talent and youth and that's what makes money. For that reason its hard to see much of Europe escaping the UK fate as they've too much history and they're too obsessed with it. Ireland though probably will be fine as it innately values progress. But ultimately we are heading into a time period where Europe becomes a holiday resort, and America becomes a very angry place. Asia is clearly going to dominate the next century, especially if India can cop itself on, but primarily driven by a circle of China-Vietnam-Indonesia. Who knows what Africa is going to do. Dunno though really.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Where did you go for that? That's way over the odds
            ah, is it? Went to a place called ZipYard. Think they're a chain. https://www.thezipyard.ie/

Comment

People get t-shirts altered?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                Must not shop in Penneys.

Comment

The Sun is now setting on the great British Empire - FINALLY .

I wonder where they would be today without imperialism? Where would India be without the rape of it's economy.

Anyone care to off up some conjecture on the British national text verification being sent out ? Some crazed theories about it . Seems ok to me - dunno

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Must not shop in Penneys.
                    Penny's I only ever get 3 wears out of a t shirt before i look homeless .

Comment

Makes a mad difference to fit. It would be odd if everyone perfectly slotted into the three given shapes of S / M / L

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Penny's I only ever get 3 wears out of a t shirt before i look homeless .
                        I was being facetious.

Comment

I wonder where they would be today without imperialism? Where would India be without the rape of it's economy.

Anyone care to off up some conjecture on the British national text verification being sent out ? Some crazed theories about it . Seems ok to me - dunno
                          If Boris manages to squirm through his questioning today and deemed not to have misled parliament, it’ll be another massive low for the country.

It’s incredible that his defence is that he always thought the rules were followed at these events. It isn’t any kind of defence, he’s taking the whole establishment as a joke. But is that country so corrupt and fucked that he’ll get away with it?

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I was being facetious.
                            Sure i know . Tis true though , yokes are crap but fill the temp t-shirt need . HH tailoring a t-shirt? As Bishop Brennan would say- now THIS IS NEW.

Comment

He has the freedom to choose the fabric that has beneficial outcomes.

Comment

What dis?
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

ah, is it? Went to a place called ZipYard. Think they're a chain. https://www.thezipyard.ie/
                                  It's a while since I went to Danny Geoghegan on wicklow street, can't remember specific prices, but it was nothing like that (for shirts and suits).

He does everything for BT / Louis Copeland etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

What dis?
                                    On a date in late April, every mobile phone in the UK will receive a 20 second loud alarm/continuous beep. It will override silent mode etc
                                    It's officially a test of a new warning system (e.g., nuclear alert, invasion) to replace the old 'church bells ringing, fog-horn from your local emergency station' system.

It will be fun in theatres/cinemas etc anyway.

Comment

@HH, been looking at the GOP nomination odds lately? Interesting reading.

I wonder, if Trump gets charged in NY (which seems likely - maybe even today), could this hurt De Santis politically? i.e. Trump turns it into some freaky loyalty test, and that can only work against De Santis.

Events....

Comment

what a surprise. awful decision at the time confirmed as...an awful decision

Freddie Steward's red card in England's final Six Nations game against Ireland is rescinded.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                          what a surprise. awful decision at the time confirmed as...an awful decision

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65035837
                                          You might be surprised to hear this but the consensus in the ground was 'very harsh'. Just a freak accident more than anything.

Comment

You might be surprised to hear this but the consensus in the ground was 'very harsh'. Just a freak accident more than anything.
                                            not surprised at all. What annoys me most is the fact none of the other referees provided a counter argument, they just all nodded to Peiper and let him dish out the red. i have no doubt the result would have been the same, but it just ruined the game, which to that point had been pretty close.

Comment

I wonder, if Trump gets charged in NY (which seems likely - maybe even today), could this hurt De Santis politically? i.e. Trump turns it into some freaky loyalty test, and that can only work against De Santis.

Events....
                                              yeah, I'm not sure about that whole bet tbh. Will still keep stacking up the bets every month, but could be chucking it in the bin

Comment

Events....
                                                I imagine the dems want Trump to win candidate race.
                                                His latest video rant about farming was something to behold
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

We still going on about that red card . Borderline harsh. Hardly a great injustice. Do things change if a jaw was broke ? Let us parade our deserved rewards .

Comment

The Johnson parliamentary hearing could be good afternoon fun.

Comment

Looking for recommendations; we are on the lookout for some art to brighten our walls, decent-sized pieces that are more abstract in nature. Something like this (family have bought from this artist before, we're waiting on more from her at present but nothing currently available). Hoping to spend anything up to €500 per piece. Any recommendations would be most gratefully received!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                        Looking for recommendations; we are on the lookout for some art to brighten our walls, decent-sized pieces that are more abstract in nature. Something like this (family have bought from this artist before, we're waiting on more from her at present but nothing currently available). Hoping to spend anything up to €500 per piece. Any recommendations would be most gratefully received!
                                                        My Aunt is a professional Artist for most of her life . Might not be your taste but her stuff hangs all over the world. Originals or Print.

New work now available

Comment

I’ve bought a few in the last few years in that type of price range but they may be too small.

Perhaps something by https://aidanoregan.com we bought one of his after visiting his studio and it’s lovely.

https://orlacarrartist.ie is another I’ve bought from.

You can find some nice pieces on adverts too if you look around.

I’m after something from David Lee who use to produce for https://farmlanegallery.com/david-lee/ but the pieces I’ve been after are too expensive for me.
                                                          Last edited by Murdrum; 22-03-23, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

not surprised at all. What annoys me most is the fact none of the other referees provided a counter argument, they just all nodded to Peiper and let him dish out the red. i have no doubt the result would have been the same, but it just ruined the game, which to that point had been pretty close.
                                                            Fun to see a Frenchman standing up for the perfidious English all the same.

Comment

Fun to see a Frenchman standing up for the perfidious English all the same.
                                                              i was annoyed at the contest being ruined. got some stick on here for saying it wasn't a red

Comment

They have done all my girlfriends stuff well, but they are more expensive than others I've been to. Alteration centre were very fast, great and cheaper (had a very sweatshop vibe with all the work going on around you) but zipyard is closer so end up there mostly. Can't believe how much AC changed my suit, was very impressive. Of course I don't fit in it again for unfortunate reasons.

There was this gruff guy in Phibsboro that I loved, he doesn't even look up from his work when you come in, asks what do you want (with a glance after you answer) and asked my ex what waist she was and when she answered said "ya are alright" without even looking up again
                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-03-23, 16:47.

Comment

Charity Art Auction underway:

Comment

Was thinking myself that surely AI and the ultimate triumph of translation tools like Google Translate means nobody should need a second language again (unless as a hobby)?
                                                                    Been working with a Japanese team for a couple of weeks and you can translate all the words you like but if you don't have an interpreter you are at nothing.

Chat GPT cannot help me in getting my communications into a form they will read and respond to.
                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Been crazy busy the last while and now I'm down in Uganda working 14+ hours a day, some change from the days of covid.
                                                                      Pretty intense but I'm enjoying it, wouldn't want to continue at this pace for very long, but it will go on a while until I can hire a couple of developers.
                                                                      Finding it very hard to find capable C++ /C# developers. The few who can do are only interested in short term $$$ and those who think they can mostly can't do.
                                                                      Another problem that chatGPT isn't solving... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                        Been crazy busy the last while and now I'm down in Uganda working 14+ hours a day, some change from the days of covid.
                                                                        Pretty intense but I'm enjoying it, wouldn't want to continue at this pace for very long, but it will go on a while until I can hire a couple of developers.
                                                                        Finding it very hard to find capable C++ /C# developers. The few who can do are only interested in short term $$$ and those who think they can mostly can't do.
                                                                        sp engaging in Ugandan affairs eh?

Comment

Been working with a Japanese team for a couple of weeks and you can translate all the words you like but if you don't have an interpreter you are at nothing.
                                                                          Chat GPT cannot help me in getting my communications into a form they will read and respond to..
                                                                          "Reading the air" probably doesn't work when it comes to software dev

Comment

I thought piece by Paul Kedrosky was worthwhile.
                                                                            Particularly about the displacement vs augmenting view of automation.

Society's Technical Debt and Software's Gutenberg Moment

Abstract There is immense hyperbole about recent developments in artificial intelligence, especially Large Language Models like ChatGPT. And there is also deserved concern about such technologies’ material impact on jobs. But observers are missing two very important things:

Comment

Comment

Not my game anymore as I’m in house but have a few people I would recommend if your struggling and fancy paying an agency instead.

Comment

Look at Emma Higgins Art, she does different takes on West of Ireland landscapes and beaches etc

Comment

This Trump thing is going to be unbelievable entertainment if\when he gets indicted. You could quite easily see a scenario where he's convicted of criminal charges and running for election at the same time as the GOP candidate. For 'the party of law and order'.

Comment

This Trump thing is going to be unbelievable entertainment if\when he gets indicted. You could quite easily see a scenario where he's convicted of criminal charges and running for election at the same time as the GOP candidate. For 'the party of law and order'.
                                                                                      He was saying he wanted to be brought out in handcuffs (can't be sure he was joking!)
                                                                                      Can just see him playing the victimised martyr all right complete with chain gang outfit!

I see president Xi is da boss now with putin in full boot licking mode the other day. Wonder what shenanagns they will be getting up to?

It's staggering the amount of artillery shells,missiles etc they are going through on both sides.

Russia calling up tanks from the 60s and every decade since and modifying naval guns on to half tracks. Getting obliterated on that front it would appear. Troop morale non existent (another group threatening to turn against the brass due to the meat grinder tactics)

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                        It's staggering the amount of artillery shells,missiles etc they are going through on both sides.

Russia calling up tanks from the 60s and everything decade since and modifying naval guns on to half tracks. Getting obliterated on that front it would appear. Troop morale non existent (another group threatening to turn against the brass due to the meat grinder tactics)
                                                                                        Their 'winter assault' has achieved the sum of sweet FA, apart from getting tens of thousands of their troops killed in senseless frontal attacks.

I'd expect the forthcoming Ukrainian offensive to be much more effective.

Comment

Nobody does bird better than me. I can slop out, let me tell you , I can slop out like you’ve never seen slop being outed. Although, there isn’t a prison I couldn’t escape from , I could swim out of Alcatraz
                                                                                          They said nobody could swim that , I’d swim it, like a fish, a majestic fish , a fish with legs and a good brain .

Comment

Nobody does bird better than me. I can slop out, let me tell you , I can slop out like you’ve never seen slop being outed. Although, there isn’t a prison I couldn’t escape from , I could swim out of Alcatraz
                                                                                            They said nobody could swim that , I’d swim it, like a fish, a majestic fish , a fish with legs and a good brain .
                                                                                            Clearly he won't go to jail though

Comment

Clearly he won't go to jail though
                                                                                              I have a dream...

Comment

Sarah Walker has a gallery in Castletownbere West Cork and an online portfolio. A lot of her work is abstract landscape inspired by the beauty of West Cork. Not cheap but a solid investment. Tim Goulding and Charlie Tyrrell also living there but their work may stretch the budget.

Comment

Looking forward quite unreasonably hard to the final series of Succession.

Obviously funking for Conor to win it all. Or Tom.

Comment

Looking forward quite unreasonably hard to the final series of Succession.

Obviously funking for Conor to win it all. Or Tom.
                                                                                                    Sibh and her lovely peachy arse. Anyone thinks differently FACK OFF .

Comment

500 won't go far for any decent sized originals I would think! I'll have a flick through my Instagram follows and see if I see anything later.
                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Their 'winter assault' has achieved the sum of sweet FA, apart from getting tens of thousands of their troops killed in senseless frontal attacks.

I'd expect the forthcoming Ukrainian offensive to be much more effective.
                                                                                                        The doubt expressed by the US is that Ukraine has lost too many of their top troops defending Bakhmut, and this will then impact on their ability to carry out a summer offense. Maybe the planes and the new weaponry will change that, but I wonder. Realistically this feels like a war that will continue for a decade.

Comment

Best show so far! We got some Salsa, some afrobeat, a couple of slow thai and a few tracks from a great new rapper I just came across - Mach-Hommy. Enjoy!

60 mins of great new music from around the world, concentrating on modern jazz, hip-hop, world music and everything that fits in-between. || http://www.instagram.com/kairiko_music/ || @daraghthomas || Broadcast on 17th March 2023 at CAMP || http://listen.camp

Comment

I'd say -

1. Ukraine obv has the international community to help it with weaponry, but that's probably just a temporary advantage. Russia isn't standing still, even if it feels like they are using the kitchen sink of 1950s weapons right now. They've had a year to switch to a wartime economy, and that will include ensuring a rampup in weaponry supply chains. They have the funds to support that also. Any weapons advantage will fundamentally become a draw.

2. Ultimately its a battle of about 40 million military-capable people vs about 10 million military-capable people. This has turned into a grinding war, and the side with more people wins grinding wars. They mention here and there about 5 Russians being killed for every Ukrainian, but that seems to not really be true. And realistically how could it be.

3. On the minor plus side, it now feels highly unlikely that there will be any attempt by Russia to move out of the two regions. So, it doesn't seem like it will escalate to the whole country.

4. The problem though is that will just be a temporary reprieve. We seem to have entered a world phase where lines are being drawn. Its hard to see Ukraine escaping from whatever happens whenever things kick off again. It doesn't feel like we will be going back to 'normal times' any time soon. Not just in the region, but globally.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Where did you go for that? That's way over the odds
                                                                                                              Must be a cut above.

They haven’t exactly thrived in the interim, despite the massive infrastructure advantages, vs. Say many countries in Africa.

Comment

The doubt expressed by the US is that Ukraine has lost too many of their top troops defending Bakhmut, and this will then impact on their ability to carry out a summer offense. Maybe the planes and the new weaponry will change that, but I wonder. Realistically this feels like a war that will continue for a decade.
                                                                                                                Jaysus that's a HH 360 if ever I saw one correct me if I'm wrong but did you not get relieved of some of your "hard" earned cash wagering that this soon to be decade long war wouldn't happen. Asking for a horsehead friend

Comment

I'd say -

1. Ukraine obv has the international community to help it with weaponry, but that's probably just a temporary advantage. Russia isn't standing still, even if it feels like they are using the kitchen sink of 1950s weapons right now. They've had a year to switch to a wartime economy, and that will include ensuring a rampup in weaponry supply chains. They have the funds to support that also. Any weapons advantage will fundamentally become a draw.

2. Ultimately its a battle of about 40 million military-capable people vs about 10 million military-capable people. This has turned into a grinding war, and the side with more people wins grinding wars. They mention here and there about 5 Russians being killed for every Ukrainian, but that seems to not really be true. And realistically how could it be.

3. On the minor plus side, it now feels highly unlikely that there will be any attempt by Russia to move out of the two regions. So, it doesn't seem like it will escalate to the whole country.

4. The problem though is that will just be a temporary reprieve. We seem to have entered a world phase where lines are being drawn. Its hard to see Ukraine escaping from whatever happens whenever things kick off again. It doesn't feel like we will be going back to 'normal times' any time soon. Not just in the region, but globally.
                                                                                                                  The 5:1 ratio is definitely wrong. It’s much closer to 1:1 militarily and multiple times the civilian casualties on the Ukraine side.

Also read something earlier regarding protracted war and it said that in instances where interstate wars last >1 year, on average they last a decade. I found that to be a pretty daunting stat.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

Jaysus that's a HH 360 if ever I saw one correct me if I'm wrong but did you not get relieved of some of your "hard" earned cash wagering that this soon to be decade long war wouldn't happen. Asking for a horsehead friend
                                                                                                                    So I should stick forever to a wrong view I had before the war started a year ago? I don't get the logic. When new information arrives you update your beliefs - doesn't everyone do this? I'm scared to think how you live your life if you don't do the same

Comment

So I should stick forever to a wrong view I had before the war started a year ago? I don't get the logic. When new information arrives you update your beliefs - doesn't everyone do this? I'm scared to think how you live your life if you don't do the same
                                                                                                                      I'm yanking your chain chillax

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

I'm yanking your chain chillax
                                                                                                                        and i was reyanking your chain. I think. Do you feel reyanked?

Comment

and i was reyanking your chain. I think. Do you feel reyanked?
                                                                                                                          Utterly.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X