X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Living the dream.

where abouts in Killarney are you?
    Am in Muckross for now, nice views of Crohane and Mangerton but about a 45 min walk to town.

Comment

Those jarveys in Muckross are little cunce they are. Always held Killarney in the highest esteem but on my most recent visit last summer I hired a bike and in Muckross castle grounds I got out of the way onto the grass every time they approached and not one would look at you or raise a finger in acknowledgement. Same in the Sally Gap.
      Maye the amount of visiting droolers wears on you after a while but found a lot of the tricky.

Felt those Kerry hoors are sweet and back slapping to anyone who is crossing their palm with silver but outside of that your a cnut.

I will give them another go without judgement as I'm a humanitarian

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post

Am in Muckross for now, nice views of Crohane and Mangerton but about a 45 min walk to town.
        Probably the nicest part of town. Mangerton my favourite hike too. Very jealous. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
          Those jarveys in Muckross are little cunce they are. Always held Killarney in the highest esteem but on my most recent visit last summer I hired a bike and in Muckross castle grounds I got out of the way onto the grass every time they approached and not one would look at you or raise a finger in acknowledgement. Same in the Sally Gap.
          Maye the amount of visiting droolers wears on you after a while but found a lot of the tricky.

Felt those Kerry hoors are sweet and back slapping to anyone who is crossing their palm with silver but outside of that your a cnut.

I will give them another go without judgement as I'm a humanitarian
          Don't bother giving em a 2nd chance. They're a shower of cunts

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
            Has the site been upgraded ? I've got some far out groovy colours today.
            Must just be your lsd kicking in.

Comment

Balaji ended up taking two bets for a milly each to 1 BTC on that bet I posted earlier from Twitter about Bitcoin reaching a million. His full name is Balaji Srinivasan and is a former CTO of Coinbase,

Former Coinbase CTO makes $2M bet on Bitcoin’s performance

Comment

Successfully moved from smoking the devils sticks three months ago to instead vaping the devils electronic sticks. Bravo, such is the strength of man, master of the animal kingdom. Now, I need to quit the electronic ones. Whats my play here - go down to lower strength maybe?

I was thinking:

- the big problem is that I would vape a lot more frequently than I used to smoke. So maybe first try to space out the time between vapes to reduce that psychological dependence on the act of vaping. Do that this week, then by Sunday move to nicotine patches.

- asked ChatGPT and it said that as a superior form of intelligence it suggests not starting smoking in the first place
                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 20-03-23, 11:20.
                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  Successfully moved from smoking the devils sticks three months ago to instead vaping the devils electronic sticks. Bravo, such is the strength of man, master of the animal kingdom. Now, I need to quit the electronic ones. Whats my play here - go down to lower strength maybe?

I was thinking:

- the big problem is that I would vape a lot more frequently than I used to smoke. So maybe first try to space out the time between vapes to reduce that psychological dependence on the act of vaping. Do that this week, then by Sunday move to nicotine patches.

- asked ChatGPT and it said that as a superior form of intelligence it suggests not starting smoking in the first place
                  You could also just stop and quit your whining.
                  Last edited by 6starpool; 20-03-23, 14:38. Reason: stupid typo

Comment

I was thinking:

I guess it comes down to what you are trying to achieve. Ultimately the absolute imperative is to finally stop smoking and have no risk of going back.
                    So is there any actual urgency to give up nicotine? (Maybe something to do with your heart issue). But on the grounds, as we've discussed before, that nicotine is a reasonably harmless product to consume, I wouldn't be rushing to give up vaping. The one place you don't want to land is back smoking.

But in general reducing your vaping (strength, and the amount of times you vape) seems a good idea. I've found the strength very easy to reduce. Most of the liquid I buy now is 3 or 6 (can't remember what the number means, but they go as high as 18 and 24). I really don't spot any difference.
                    Volume of vaping is more of an issue. I do try a few tricks, like not having the vape beside me when working for the first few hour or so each day - deliberately leaving it behind when going to the shopping centre, things like that.

Comment

The Apprentice.

SPOILER
                      I'd make it something like 1/200 Marnie, 16/1 Rochelle in the final.

Marnie already has more cash in grants/loans in the business than the £250K Sugar has to put up, and that gets him a 50% share.
                      Premises seem to be sorted in the centre of London which is a bit of a miracle (I presume its an old building that they just aren't allowed convert into luxury accom/offices).
                      Sports England already on board, with an international boxer running it, and money flowing into women's sports over the next decade.
                      I actually think she's probably underselling it giving him 50% for £250K.

Rochelle hair salon seems very bland in comparison, Might work, but would need graft, and the person herself doesn't seem particularly inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I guess it comes down to what you are trying to achieve. Ultimately the absolute imperative is to finally stop smoking and have no risk of going back.
                        So is there any actual urgency to give up nicotine? (Maybe something to do with your heart issue). But on the grounds, as we've discussed before, that nicotine is a reasonably harmless product to consume, I wouldn't be rushing to give up vaping. The one place you don't want to land is back smoking.

But in general reducing your vaping (strength, and the amount of times you vape) seems a good idea. I've found the strength very easy to reduce. Most of the liquid I buy now is 3 or 6 (can't remember what the number means, but they go as high as 18 and 24). I really don't spot any difference.
                        Volume of vaping is more of an issue. I do try a few tricks, like not having the vape beside me when working for the first few hour or so each day - deliberately leaving it behind when going to the shopping centre, things like that.
                        That seems solid advice, thanks! Told someone I'm meeting in a few weeks that I had quit smoking, and not sure they would consider moving to vaping as having quit smoking. So that's the time issue.
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

I’ve never really smoked. However this vaping thing seems to get folk off the sticks. Smoking though, it looks way cooler. Imagine Clint Eastwood rolling back his poncho to show those 3 ugly Mexicans who they are dealing with when he suddenly removes a Vape from his holster squints his eyes and then BOOM ! THEY SHOOT HIM IN THE FOOKIN HEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Must just be your lsd kicking in.
                            DMT is de rigueur

Comment

The Apprentice.

SPOILER
                              I'd make it something like 1/200 Marnie, 16/1 Rochelle in the final.

Marnie already has more cash in grants/loans in the business than the £250K Sugar has to put up, and that gets him a 50% share.
                              Premises seem to be sorted in the centre of London which is a bit of a miracle (I presume its an old building that they just aren't allowed convert into luxury accom/offices).
                              Sports England already on board, with an international boxer running it, and money flowing into women's sports over the next decade.
                              I actually think she's probably underselling it giving him 50% for £250K.

Rochelle hair salon seems very bland in comparison, Might work, but would need graft, and the person herself doesn't seem particularly inspiring.
                              absolutely.

SPOILER
                              Marnie's first location is in manchester iirc. she then wants to open the london city location one which i agree with one of the interviewers is oversaturated. (could be wrong though)
                              those business plans were just absolute garbage, including Rochelle's. LOL at 50 sq metres luxury salon in belgravia
                              At least Marnie is passionate, driven and intelligent. 99% chance he goes with her

Comment

Have no real desire to quit vaping for similar reasons as AJ.

My boss thinks I'm a fucking eejit though, he did say something pretty funny to me before about it.

I was puffing away on it and he goes 'Look at ya, sucking on that dick'
                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Three thoughts on those Chinese exams on Saturday.

First, I was sitting there listening to the sentences and trying to pick up the intention and what have you. Then at some point, I was there thinking to myself - last September we were all sitting in the class struggling over 'Ni Hao' and now here we are listening to, and largely comprehending, long involved sentences in this alien language. Like, isn't it mad that the brain can just pick up a whole new way of communicating, and not even be phased by it really? Our brains have this crazy capacity to adapt. Obv this is just the first two stages of learning something that becomes vastly more difficult, but still ...

I was chatting to some UCD students also sitting the exams, although they were sitting levels 3 and 4 (decent enough communication level) rather than my 1 and 2 (basic communication). They're all off to Beijing next year to study science or something like that as their year abroad and had added on Chinese language on top in their degrees. They were saying that there's a scholarship the Chinese gov give, that if you get 60% in Level 4 then you get free flights, accommodation, meals as part of your year abroad. Just struck me that here's a government that is thinking a few decades down the line, rather than a few weeks. Now, obviously, a dictatorship with a history of brutality thinking a few decades down the line is not necessarily a good thing, but it does show some of the confidence of the nation.

And lastly, so I had just added on Level 2 at the last moment, despite only studying Level 1, in order to have a bit of a mental push. Ended up being grand I think, due to the luxury (self-acquired) of being able to spend the week before just studying for the exam rather than working. And thank fuck I did, because when I get into the Level 1 exam its rows upon rows of people with an average age of about eight. Its a slight dent in the sense of achievement to turn up for something and see your fellow 'achievers' are trying to chew on the computer mouse wires.

Seems they run Chinese classes for kids aged 7-12 on UCD campus every Saturday, and according to one mother there you have hundreds of kids taking over the campus for the classes. Taught in a really nice way - mixture of playing, singing, few words dotted here and there, culture. I guess the difference from a normal language class is that the teachers would all have been selected from proper elite institutions to 'represent the nation', so they'd be particularly competent at knowing how to teach in an engaging way. And, of course, all driven ultimately by parents too impatient to wait for schools to finally cop on and stop teaching fucking German. Was planning what bribery I'd need to engage in to get our kids to do those classes, but when I mentioned it they jumped at it.

Comment

Anyone read The Good Drinker by Adrian Chiles? Its a rather great read. Weirdly it really feels like a book written by Chiles - like he writes almost exactly the way he speaks. Due to a misspent youth, I still mainly associate him with making financial journalism cool on Working Lunch, rather than his now more famous sports stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Maybe I’m being unfair but having revisited a few podcasts from Lex recently, I just don’t get the appeal.

I recall the podcast he did with his dad a few years ago being interesting but I didn’t really enjoy some more recent ones.

I find it all very meandering and the 3-4hr format kind of unnecessary. I know that’s a style that people quite enjoy but I don’t really see what’s so appealing about him as a host.
                                      I like Lex because he asks good questions and does a lot of research on the topic before, he gets a lot of AI researchers on, and the interviews are typically great. I've never heard one and thought it should be shorter, but it has to be an interesting guest where you are interested in the topic. 3/4 hours is not really that long - that's about 30,000 words - if you want to really explore several topics and someone's backstory that seems about right to me.

On a related note, I remember listening to a podcast about football, and the interviewer told the interviewee he hadn't read his recently published book - I immediately stopped it and would never listen to anything he published or wrote again.

Comment

Three thoughts on those Chinese exams on Saturday.

First, I was sitting there listening to the sentences and trying to pick up the intention and what have you. Then at some point, I was there thinking to myself - last September we were all sitting in the class struggling over 'Ni Hao' and now here we are listening to, and largely comprehending, long involved sentences in this alien language. Like, isn't it mad that the brain can just pick up a whole new way of communicating, and not even be phased by it really? Our brains have this crazy capacity to adapt. Obv this is just the first two stages of learning something that becomes vastly more difficult, but still ...

I was chatting to some UCD students also sitting the exams, although they were sitting levels 3 and 4 (decent enough communication level) rather than my 1 and 2 (basic communication). They're all off to Beijing next year to study science or something like that as their year abroad and had added on Chinese language on top in their degrees. They were saying that there's a scholarship the Chinese gov give, that if you get 60% in Level 4 then you get free flights, accommodation, meals as part of your year abroad. Just struck me that here's a government that is thinking a few decades down the line, rather than a few weeks. Now, obviously, a dictatorship with a history of brutality thinking a few decades down the line is not necessarily a good thing, but it does show some of the confidence of the nation.

And lastly, so I had just added on Level 2 at the last moment, despite only studying Level 1, in order to have a bit of a mental push. Ended up being grand I think, due to the luxury (self-acquired) of being able to spend the week before just studying for the exam rather than working. And thank fuck I did, because when I get into the Level 1 exam its rows upon rows of people with an average age of about eight. Its a slight dent in the sense of achievement to turn up for something and see your fellow 'achievers' are trying to chew on the computer mouse wires.

Seems they run Chinese classes for kids aged 7-12 on UCD campus every Saturday, and according to one mother there you have hundreds of kids taking over the campus for the classes. Taught in a really nice way - mixture of playing, singing, few words dotted here and there, culture. I guess the difference from a normal language class is that the teachers would all have been selected from proper elite institutions to 'represent the nation', so they'd be particularly competent at knowing how to teach in an engaging way. And, of course, all driven ultimately by parents too impatient to wait for schools to finally cop on and stop teaching fucking German. Was planning what bribery I'd need to engage in to get our kids to do those classes, but when I mentioned it they jumped at it.
                                        Was thinking myself that surely AI and the ultimate triumph of translation tools like Google Translate means nobody should need a second language again (unless as a hobby)?
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Was thinking myself that surely AI and the ultimate triumph of translation tools like Google Translate means nobody should need a second language again (unless as a hobby)?
                                          I guess in general. But I've been communicating with a few uni profs in advance of the Beijing trip in July and when you use a few words of the local lingo it seems to go vastly further in terms of making things happen. Maybe it also helps with cultural understanding. Like, in theory you'd never need another word of French, but doesn't speaking French actually help you - like on your trips there - feel you understand the place a lot better. Can't see that disappearing in business, especially in places where relationships are all-powerful for making things happen.

Comment

I guess in general. But I've been communicating with a few uni profs in advance of the Beijing trip in July and when you use a few words of the local lingo it seems to go vastly further in terms of making things happen. Maybe it also helps with cultural understanding. Like, in theory you'd never need another word of French, but doesn't speaking French actually help you - like on your trips there - feel you understand the place a lot better. Can't see that disappearing in business, especially in places where relationships are all-powerful for making things happen.
                                            Coudln’t agree more, and particularly so with Chinese. We do business all over the world and it’s the place that stands out in appreciation if you have a cupla focail.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                              Coudln’t agree more, and particularly so with Chinese. We do business all over the world and it’s the place that stands out in appreciation if you have a cupla focail.
                                              They are hypocrites though. Took me ages to get their accent right and all i got was abuse . Most unappreciated i felt

Comment

Talk about making someone squirm

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Why would you think that?

Amongst other reasons - until they start interfacing directly with our brains, you still can't have a normal face-to-face conversation with someone unless you share a language. If you want to do business in a country, you are at a huge disadvantage with someone who can speak the native language well. Sure, those tools are very useful but it's no replacement for actually speaking the language. Consider the difference in speed between two people talking naturally, and where one person is having to translate it

Also, when you translate a language, you lose a lot of subtlety; there's a reason why people go to great lengths to get good translations of novels.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                    Talk about making someone squirm

Well put to be fair. It’s an interesting one, the whole idea of protecting larger banks as the consequences of failure can cascade down through the economy, but it doing so you actually exacerbate the number of too big to fail banks by inflating those banks at the expense of (currently) more disposable regional banks.

Comment

World is fucked.

I went out Friday evening for some Paddy's day shenanigans here in Calgary.

A lacrosse game. The dumbest sport. But good banter.

Had a few drinks at a local craft brewery (Calgary is absolutely class for the local breweries, there is prob 10 of them all within walking distance).
                                                      I went to a gay bath house, legit underground, back alley (heyooo), secret membership stuff. Didn't have a bath, or a gay, but did have an absolutely hilarious time. One of the owners is a buddy of mine and I hadn't seen him in forever so that was our rendezvous point.

Then went to an Irish bar, and had a great lol.

The best part of allllll this?

I didn't have one alcholic beverage, was in bed by 12 and up the next morning at 7am to walk the dog.

World is fucked.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Not drinking turns you gay confirmed

Comment

Not drinking turns you gay confirmed
                                                          After Saturday's GS celebrations, that makes me the straightest man alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Why would you think that?
                                                            You're about the tenth person today to ask me that. I had a good answer for six of them.

Comment

They are hypocrites though. Took me ages to get their accent right and all i got was abuse . Most unappreciated i felt
                                                              Hope you used this educational documentary:

Comment

Anyone in the AA .? Is it worth it IYO? motor related .

Comment

Anyone read The Good Drinker by Adrian Chiles? Its a rather great read. Weirdly it really feels like a book written by Chiles - like he writes almost exactly the way he speaks. Due to a misspent youth, I still mainly associate him with making financial journalism cool on Working Lunch, rather than his now more famous sports stuff.
                                                                  Not sure your idea of a misspent youth is the same as most peoples...

Comment

Does anyone actually know what chemicals and what not they are actually consuming when vaping though? It seems like a largely unregulated product with the common consensus amongst users (in my experience) that cigarettes are bad and therefore vaping must be better for you. But it is actually?

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Does anyone actually know what chemicals and what not they are actually consuming when vaping though? It seems like a largely unregulated product with the common consensus amongst users (in my experience) that cigarettes are bad and therefore vaping must be better for you. But it is actually?
                                                                      I don't vape anymore and I don't think it is a good nicotine cessation tool. I think if anything it strengthens the association with nicotine because I found that I vaped far more often than I smoked. The hardest part of giving up is the association of things in your day to day life with nicotine which gives you cravings to start again after you stop. That was almost everything after vaping for years.

I didn't stop for health reasons though. I got sick of buying the kit, liquids, coils, and all the other crap that comes with being a vaper. There is a host of other reasons like I didn't like that the craving would constantly take my attention/focus away from what I was doing in the present moment. I would also vape pretty late at night which hugely affected my sleep.

I am pretty happy though that they are much, much safer than cigarettes and the studies show this. It is always the person who has never used them or looked into the research behind them that seems to cry foul about how we don't know they are safer. We do, numerous studies have shown they are around 95% safer than cigarettes. Nicotine itself is a well-studied substance and is considered quite safe. Are they completely safe, of course not but we are talking about massive harm reduction compared with tobacco. Alcohol probably has stronger links with Cancer from the current research. The WHO list of cariogenic substances would make it very hard to find anyone not putting stuff in their bodies that are considered high risk.

There are plenty of studies but just at a very superficial level, This video is an extremely powerful indicator of the difference.

Comment

If vaping is a stepping stone to get you off the cancer sticks , it’s a good move I guess. I think that’s how it should be viewed rather than as a replacement habit. Having said that I’ve been trying to give up diet coke (more chems) for years, being a non tea and non coffee drinker I’m somewhat limited in choice. Advice welcome on kicking my coke habit. I also can’t drink anything tepid .

Comment

Struggled to give up smokes for years and when kids came along really wanted too as was up to 20 a day. Had a bet with a good mate that if i stayed off them till Christmas that year I won €20, if I smoked once I lost €5,000. Worked well.

Still have the odd one when out on beer but I'd say I average 1 a week across the year now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                            Struggled to give up smokes for years and when kids came along really wanted too as was up to 20 a day. Had a bet with a good mate that if i stayed off them till Christmas that year I won €20, if I smoked once I lost €5,000. Worked well.

Still have the odd one when out on beer but I'd say I average 1 a week across the year now.
                                                                            i quit the year my wife fell pregnant with our first (i'd always said to myself i'll quit when i have kids), so almost 18 years ago. was the hardest thing i ever did, and glad i did it before vaping was around or i'm sure i'd still be vaping now.

Comment

MysteryGuest C’mon in the water’s lovely

Perhaps we should contemplate the terrifying idea that Andy Farrell has achieved what he has for Ireland not in spite of being English but precisely because he’s English

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

I don't vape anymore and I don't think it is a good nicotine cessation tool. I think if anything it strengthens the association with nicotine because I found that I vaped far more often than I smoked. The hardest part of giving up is the association of things in your day to day life with nicotine which gives you cravings to start again after you stop. That was almost everything after vaping for years.

I didn't stop for health reasons though. I got sick of buying the kit, liquids, coils, and all the other crap that comes with being a vaper. There is a host of other reasons like I didn't like that the craving would constantly take my attention/focus away from what I was doing in the present moment. I would also vape pretty late at night which hugely affected my sleep.

I am pretty happy though that they are much, much safer than cigarettes and the studies show this. It is always the person who has never used them or looked into the research behind them that seems to cry foul about how we don't know they are safer. We do, numerous studies have shown they are around 95% safer than cigarettes. Nicotine itself is a well-studied substance and is considered quite safe. Are they completely safe, of course not but we are talking about massive harm reduction compared with tobacco. Alcohol probably has stronger links with Cancer from the current research. The WHO list of cariogenic substances would make it very hard to find anyone not putting stuff in their bodies that are considered high risk.

There are plenty of studies but just at a very superficial level, This video is an extremely powerful indicator of the difference.

My worry would be that while there may be ‘good’ vape products out there, that there will also be coyboy products, full of chemicals and generally bad stuff. And these can be sold willy nilly on the market because there doesn’t seem to be any regulation that i’ve heard of.

Comment

It's the environmental impact of those disposal elf bars that make me cringe.
                                                                                  Plastic, batteries, half end up as litter, rest - landfill at best, maybe burned?
                                                                                  They are meant to be the equivalent of a 20 pack of cigs.
                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

While you might question this logic, I personally just use the vapes developed by Philip Morris on the grounds that those fuckers will be highly careful whats going into their vapes given their experience of lawsuits. So they would almost be self-regulating. You'd have to, though, be a bit doubtful about a random vape with an e.g. Made in Thailand label on it. No offence to the Thais. As there's nothing to stop them putting whatever the fuck they want into it, and really no comeback if it all goes tits up.

Comment

My worry would be that while there may be ‘good’ vape products out there, that there will also be coyboy products, full of chemicals and generally bad stuff. And these can be sold willy nilly on the market because there doesn’t seem to be any regulation that i’ve heard of.
                                                                                      Snap

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                        It's the environmental impact of those disposal elf bars that make me cringe.
                                                                                        Plastic, batteries, half end up as litter, rest - landfill at best, maybe burned?
                                                                                        They are meant to be the equivalent of a 20 pack of cigs.
                                                                                        Yeah. Its madness. The amount of pollution.

Comment

Just landed a new job. More uplift but way more work. A few quid on the way out of my other place too as they are winding down.
                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                            Just landed a new job. More uplift but way more work. A few quid on the way out of my other place too as they are winding down.
                                                                                            Lowrys new caddie?

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                              How big is the spud room?
                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

New IPCC report fairly grim-next one is definitely the one where they say “actually we are fucked now no matter what”
                                                                                                this one is basically “we are fucked unless we do xyz immediately,) xyz being things that are never going to be done.

lm4mbihzhrf71.jpg
                                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Lowrys new caddie?
                                                                                                  Nobody wants that job
                                                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Dropped three t-shirts and two shirts into the tailor just there. Even with the pins you can see the transformational improvement. But ... €140 freakin euro.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                      New IPCC report fairly grim-next one is definitely the one where they say “actually we are fucked now no matter what”
                                                                                                      this one is basically “we are fucked unless we do xyz immediately,) xyz being things that are never going to be done.
                                                                                                      Its going to ruin summers when things heat up by 2-3 degrees, as it will probably be far hotter in the summer and colder in the winter, rather than a steady 2-3 degrees added on all year round. Will be standard 40+ weather in the summer places Ireland normally goes to. Just doesn't work for our skin. I do realise this is the least of the problems, but I think we have an inherent view that Ireland would benefit from a bit of heating up. Not so sure that's going to be the case.

On the plus side, we are transforming ourselves. Even if it ends up too late. As in, we have this massive move towards more active travel, much more green energy generation. The big thing we haven't really got around to sorting is waste and wasteful consumption. We still consume far more crap than we need - hence why China is keeping constructing those coal plants to power the factories to sell us that shite. Toys especially just seem so wasteful in the quantities we buy them.

Comment

Its going to ruin summers when things heat up by 2-3 degrees, as it will probably be far hotter in the summer and colder in the winter, rather than a steady 2-3 degrees added on all year round. Will be standard 40+ weather in the summer places Ireland normally goes to. Just doesn't work for our skin. I do realise this is the least of the problems, but I think we have an inherent view that Ireland would benefit from a bit of heating up. Not so sure that's going to be the case.

On the plus side, we are transforming ourselves. Even if it ends up too late. As in, we have this massive move towards more active travel, much more green energy generation. The big thing we haven't really got around to sorting is waste and wasteful consumption. We still consume far more crap than we need - hence why China is keeping constructing those coal plants to power the factories to sell us that shite. Toys especially just seem so wasteful in the quantities we buy them.
                                                                                                        Obviously it's a basic fact that 'money' is the simple answer, but I'm surprised that the likes of China hasn't decided to be a leader on green power for a few reasons:

1. One-upmanship with the states.
                                                                                                        2. It's inevitable that the world is moving in that direction anyhow.
                                                                                                        3. To basically corner the market in this area that is going to become very much more massive in the coming years than it is now. I know they make so many of the world's EV batteries as it is due to resources, but surely being a leader in solar, wind & wave energy would be a long term lucrative position? Also, did I mention the one-upmanship aspect of it?

Not that simple of course, but if all the coal/oil/gas in the world disappeared overnight (yes, yes, I know, silly theoretical), aside from the world's economy and power grids being instantly fucked, I bet within a year or two most countries would magically be back to full power generation capabilities compared to the before times. Nuclear fusion in reality is probably still one of those eternal "20 years away" techs sadly, but again, probably a matter of time and money if the proper will were there.

Comment

That seems solid advice, thanks! Told someone I'm meeting in a few weeks that I had quit smoking, and not sure they would consider moving to vaping as having quit smoking. So that's the time issue.
                                                                                                          ​​​​​​
                                                                                                          Yeah quitting the vape is far easier. Try to see how long you can go without vaping. When you do vape, try to see how little you can have each time. Gradually lower the strength of the juice etc etc. You should be able to gradually quit completely without having any major cravings at all. The key word here is gradually. Take your time and don't worry about the occasional slip up.
                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Obviously it's a basic fact that 'money' is the simple answer, but I'm surprised that the likes of China hasn't decided to be a leader on green power for a few reasons:

1. One-upmanship with the states.
                                                                                                            2. It's inevitable that the world is moving in that direction anyhow.
                                                                                                            3. To basically corner the market in this area that is going to become very much more massive in the coming years than it is now. I know they make so many of the world's EV batteries as it is due to resources, but surely being a leader in solar, wind & wave energy would be a long term lucrative position? Also, did I mention the one-upmanship aspect of it?

Not that simple of course, but if all the coal/oil/gas in the world disappeared overnight (yes, yes, I know, silly theoretical), aside from the world's economy and power grids being instantly fucked, I bet within a year or two most countries would magically be back to full power generation capabilities compared to the before times. Nuclear fusion in reality is probably still one of those eternal "20 years away" techs sadly, but again, probably a matter of time and money if the proper will were there.
                                                                                                            Yeah. We saw how relatively quickly EU could just dump its main coal, gas, oil supplier. I'd imagine the Chinese perspective is that they desperately want to be fully energy independent, not least because of national security, but that there is such demand that renewables can't be implemented quick enough, while coal plants can be put up in a few months.

They're currently responsible for about 40% of all renewable energy investment in the world. So, they're not doing nothing, but overall carbon emissions are still rising and realistically will continue to rise until about 2028, at which point they should fall off a cliff. This is interesting on the plans. They've currently 650GW renewables installed and that will exceed 1200GW by 2030. 1200GW, for comparison, is the total energy generation capacity of the US. Doing some mad stuff like putting 450GW of solar in the Gobi desert. Realistically they are on the path to not being a problem, and its in their interest to continue along that way. I'd say they'll be fully green long before the US.

I suspect India will quickly become the ultimate problem child. They are simply too poor and so feel the need to concentrate on the cheapest energy - that's going to be coal for the foreseeable future. They also don't seem all that bothered about grand strategic plans.

Comment

Mad to see it, 15 years of stagnant wages. Remember hearing about this type of thing in Japan and wondering where it all went wrong. But Britain has stagnated without anywhere near the same level of innate wealth as the Japanese. You could realistically see a future where the next generation are significantly poorer than the last generation, which is almost unheard of in modern history.

Comment

Dropped three t-shirts and two shirts into the tailor just there. Even with the pins you can see the transformational improvement. But ... €140 freakin euro.
                                                                                                                Where did you go for that? That's way over the odds

Comment

Mad to see it, 15 years of stagnant wages. Remember hearing about this type of thing in Japan and wondering where it all went wrong. But Britain has stagnated without anywhere near the same level of innate wealth as the Japanese. You could realistically see a future where the next generation are significantly poorer than the last generation, which is almost unheard of in modern history.

For the working man....
                                                                                                                  I'm not silly enough to debate with a professor on his subject matter but when you consider house prices ownership , mortgage debt etc. Are we really better off ? Especially in the US. In the 70s was it so difficult for an average working man to buy a house car etc from a modest wage ? Looks impossible now.

Comment

For the working man....
                                                                                                                    I'm not silly enough to debate with a professor on his subject matter but when you consider house prices ownership , mortgage debt etc. Are we really better off ? Especially in the US. In the 70s was it so difficult for an average working man to buy a house car etc from a modest wage ? Looks impossible now.
                                                                                                                    Ya, a lot of us here are just on the right side of things, but barring those for whom living with family is a viable option, saving for a deposit and getting a mortgage is a big problem. Most of us take home ownership (or mortgage indenture), paying into a pension, and having some disposable income is almost taken for granted, but even for most of us a lot of these things are more difficult than they would have been 20 years earlier, never mind of those trying to do so today.

I'm aware that there are definitely going to be people reading this too where the above doesn't apply and they are not financially stable. and don't have the visible prospect of being so, but I'd imagine the bulk of viewers/contributors here will be in a better position financially than most.

One disingenuous bit of the 'cost of renting' thing that does get to me though is when they say the average cost of renting and quote the average cost of a rental property. I'd say (no evidence for this, mind) most rental properties have more than 1 earner in them though. The cost is still exorbitant in a lot of cases, but a person house sharing isn't paying the cost of the entire rental. Cost of rental debates treat it as if every person earning who is paying rent is paying almost 2000 a month for the privilege, which is clearly bollocks. Some are, whether by choice or because they are a single parent or some other reason, but most I would say are not. It's bad enough without making disingenuous points.

Comment

Just keep giving me money for hydrogen research. I promise it will all be fine.

Comment

China has cornered the market on green, just playing their usual long game.

They own a massive % of the worlds producing lithium mines, and a massive % of mines with potential to come online in the next 5 years.
                                                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

For the working man....
                                                                                                                          wha? I've been on here for 13 years and have been wrong on 95% of the things I've said over that time period.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X