Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
    Guess which of the above was posted by an artificial “intelligence”
    2nd one obv
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

No thanks.

Fuck that.
      Check out the "Painting Caption Conditioning" part of this page. So the machine is fed an image which turns into text and it turns this into music. Tell me you don't find some beauty and get the feels at what is going on here when you play the tune?

https://google-research.github.io/se...iclm/examples/

Comment

People want to believe so bad

good line from that article
        People want to believe so badly that these language models are actually intelligent that they’re willing to take themselves as a point of reference and devalue that to match what the language model can do
        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Check out the "Painting Caption Conditioning" part of this page. So the machine is fed an image which turns into text and it turns this into music. Tell me you don't find some beauty and get the feels at what is going on here when you play the tune?

https://google-research.github.io/se...iclm/examples/
          There's no doubt the music will be good, listened to a couple and they are. That's not really the point though.

We enjoy these creations in large part because we know they've been created by extraordinary people.

When it can be created by ordinary people it becomes a little boring.

Yes we'll still dance to it, run to it, meditate to it whatever, but the magic is gone.

Also, just like that Bourdain thing Hitch posted, how can you enjoy a piece of work that is totally lacking of the lived experience that founds it. It's vacuous fakery. It will be boring once the novelty wears off.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I'm team guts and blood.

Comment

I was listening to some Chopin the other evening on the drive home.

I spent most of the journey wondering at how it was possible, how on Earth could someone create something like this. That added immensely to how much I enjoyed it.

Chatgpt4 could likely create something similar with ease, in seconds. That's both awesome and shit imo.

Comment

Solve Cancer, not Chopin.

Comment

Fairly funny article on Zucks metaverse- what a fucking joke
                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

There's no doubt the music will be good, listened to a couple and they are. That's not really the point though.

We enjoy these creations in large part because we know they've been created by extraordinary people.

Yes we'll still dance to it, run to it, meditate to it whatever, but the magic is gone.

Also, just like that Bourdain thing Hitch posted, how can you enjoy a piece of work that is totally lacking of the lived experience that founds it. It's vacuous fakery. It will be boring once the novelty wears off.
                    If an actual artist had created that exhibition where they displayed a painting, wrote some thoughts related to the painting, and then composed the song all connected with some symbiotic relationship, it would be awe-inspiring. I have to say I did think a shared connection of another human having created something like this was necessary for me to catch the feels but I found listening to the piece pretty amazing. Now part of that could come from the novelty that this is created by a machine and that by itself even if the produced text/song wasn't very good is still incredible. Who knows maybe I will feel different once that factor has died off somewhat but I doubt it.

What I am really interested in is how would the machine do with a blank slate. So instead of loads of training data, instead it teaches itself similarly to chess/poker. This is why I mentioned the brain scans with the music so it can figure it out for itself. That way we might get music, sounds, arrangements, and tones that have never been heard by the human ear. In chess, it is able to come up with beautiful ideas that were way beyond human comprehension. It is obviously better at chess than any human but it has also advanced human understanding and made them much better at chess. Maybe it can do the same in music.
                    Last edited by Opr; 16-03-23, 21:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

If an actual artist had created that exhibition where they displayed a painting, wrote some thoughts related to the painting, and then composed the song all connected with some symbiotic relationship, it would be awe-inspiring. I have to say I did think a shared connection of another human having created something like this was necessary for me to catch the feels but I found listening to the piece pretty amazing. Now part of that could come from the novelty that this is created by a machine and that by itself even if the produced text/song wasn't very good is still incredible. Who knows maybe I will feel different once that factor has died off somewhat but I doubt it.

What I am really interested in is how would the machine do with a blank slate. So instead of loads of training data, instead it teaches itself similarly to chess/poker. This is why I mentioned the brain scans with the music so it can figure it out for itself. That way we might get music, sounds, arrangements, and tones that have never been heard by the human ear. In chess, it is able to come up with beautiful ideas that were way beyond human comprehension. It is obviously better at chess than any human but it has also advanced human understanding and made them much better at chess. Maybe it can do the same in music.
                      Maybe so. Don't get me wrong, I think the possibilities for this are jaw droppingly exciting. We are witnessing and part of something truly historic, the exponential nature of it means we will witness it.

So many pros, I guess I'm highlighting what I fear will be a con.

Comment

Fairly funny article on Zucks metaverse- what a fucking joke
                        https://nymag.com/intelligencer/arti...on-worlds.html
                        I've been dealing with the underlying materials science with them lately...Infuriating company to deal with. I worked with Samsung and TSMC about 15 years ago and my thoughts at the time were that these two companies are going places...quite the opposite with these lads.

Comment

We will all be craving soul food just like the sugar plum fairy . Went up to the A-pollo...

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1732627&d=1679003452&type=thumb
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

People want to believe so bad

good line from that article
                              People want to believe so badly that these language models are actually intelligent that they’re willing to take themselves as a point of reference and devalue that to match what the language model can do
                              It is doing the same things we do but in a quite different way.
                              You'll hear the line 'It's just a statistical model' but that doesn't matter, it does what it does and we do what we do.

Comment

Someone ask that ChaGP thing to advise me a 50/1 winner at Cheltenham tomorrow so i can ship the IPB yoke - will reward it with computer hardwares

Comment

Maybe so. Don't get me wrong, I think the possibilities for this are jaw droppingly exciting. We are witnessing and part of something truly historic, the exponential nature of it means we will witness it.

So many pros, I guess I'm highlighting what I fear will be a con.
                                  I'd mostly think any AI would find it difficult to dumb down their music to the point where it would be popular with humans. The best musicians I ever met irl went on to be surgeons.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Talk up there, I can't hear you

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                      Someone ask that ChaGP thing to advise me a 50/1 winner at Cheltenham tomorrow so i can ship the IPB yoke - will reward it with computer hardwares
                                      As an AI language model, I cannot provide specific predictions for the Cheltenham races or any future events, as I do not have access to current information on the health and form of the horses or the track conditions on the day of the race. Horse racing is a complex and unpredictable sport, and there are many variables that can influence the outcome of a race. However, past performance can be a useful indicator of future success. It may be helpful to research the form of the horses and their past performances in similar races leading up to the event, as well as consult with reputable experts and sources for their insights and opinions. Ultimately, the decision of which horse to bet on should be based on a thorough analysis of all available information and personal judgement.

Comment

Surely the whole 'artificial intelligence' thing is just evolution no?

Cells>fishy things>monkey things>human things>machine things?

I, for one, welcome living in a time where I might see such an evolutionary leap and don't think it diminishes us in the least (well, apart from bad Nick Cave lyrics etc...obviously)

Wish I could be here in 200 years to see what it looks like.

I don't think it's a mater of 'machines have won' it should be ' look how we made machines!'

Comment

Asked it to write a topical poem on Cheltenham - brutal

Oh dear, my dear, what have you done? Lost all your money, even the rent, it's gone On Cheltenham, on horses, on bets You're left with nothing, just regrets

What's left to do when you're in this mess? When you're flat broke and feeling the stress? You need a plan, a scheme, a way out To get some cash, to turn about

And so you turn to desperate deeds To fulfill your urge for racing steeds You offer up your body, your soul To get that cash, to fill the hole

And with the money in your hand You rush back to the bookie stand To place one last bet, one last try To win big, to say goodbye

But the odds are not in your favor Your horse falls, it's not a savior And so you're left with nothing at all But memories of your reckless call

So what's the lesson in this tale? That betting is a risky trail That can lead to ruin, to despair So be careful, be aware

Don't gamble more than you can lose Don't bet your rent, don't pay the dues And if you find yourself in a bind Remember, there's always a way to unwind.
                                          Tbf was getting annoyed it didn’t do anything with my prompt to throw in a line about trying to win all the loot back on the Bumper hurdle . It won that round

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                            Referencing Laz post re Asimov Absolutely loved his short stories and novels as a kid

Our house was a treasure trove of books growing up
                                            How much would you pay to capture those first readings!

​​​​​ it was great to be part of s big family as I got to read dog eared copies of the Famous Five , TheHobbit, Cannery Row, Asimov, To kill a Mockingbird...lets not forget the Beano and Warlord comics

​​​​​
                                            Chat GPT is currently just rehashing and spitting out as regards to creative output. There is no wonder and no soul.

​​​​​​I dunno, nothing like a really good novel.

​​​​​​
                                            I am just now reading his books after always loving "The Last Question".
                                            So far I'm flying through them, some absolutely wonderful stuff in there.
                                            1. I, Robot
                                            2. The Caves of Steel
                                            3. The Naked Sun
                                            4. The Robots of Dawn
                                            5. Robots and Empire
                                            6. The Stars, Like Dust--
                                            7. The Currents of Space
                                            8. Pebble in the Sky
                                            9. Foundation
                                            10. Foundation and Empire
                                            11. Second Foundation <- I am here
                                            12. Foundation's Edge
                                            13. Foundation and Earth
                                            14. Prelude to Foundation
                                            15. Forward the Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Art is what hangs in a gallery.

An interesting question to ask is what is the relationship between what are brains are actually doing and what we consciously experience and believe about ourselves, consciousness, intentionality, and reality. We don't experience what out neurons are actually doing or what data from the senses it is working with. We get an end process fabrication which is a caricature of any of these things, which has evolved as an expedient so that we may function in the world. It's not real. We don't experience reality as it is, or ourselves as we actually are. It's a puppet show version for 3 year olds.

Now when you begin to ask the question whether it is possible for the mind to begin to see the nature of these fabrications as fabrications, and begin to let go of attachment to them as being reality, then I think you're getting into the area that might be called spirituality. If you could do this and then see that it is fabrication all the way down, there being no solid ground upon which to stand and say "this is reality" (including all our scientific perspectives - which are fabrications for 8 year olds), and that all you're left with is "this fabrication conduces to this outcome and that fabrication conduces to that outcome", then you could be in the realm of having real freedom - the goal of the spiritual life.

The freedom to choose the fabrication that has beneficial outcomes. Others will of course laugh and say "that's not reality." And then you could smile, because they are right, and also devastatingly wrong.
                                              Hello universe really badly experiencing itself, I am you.
                                              "The freedom to choose the fabrication that has beneficial outcomes" - what might this look like to you.

Comment

I forgot I had been reading Hyperion before, I'll be sure to get back to it, I only read a chapter or two.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

As an AI language model, I cannot provide specific predictions for the Cheltenham races or any future events, as I do not have access to current information on the health and form of the horses or the track conditions on the day of the race. Horse racing is a complex and unpredictable sport, and there are many variables that can influence the outcome of a race. However, past performance can be a useful indicator of future success. It may be helpful to research the form of the horses and their past performances in similar races leading up to the event, as well as consult with reputable experts and sources for their insights and opinions. Ultimately, the decision of which horse to bet on should be based on a thorough analysis of all available information and personal judgement.
                                                  Still better tips than Balfejohn

Comment

As Bruce himself states, He has never worked a day in a factory...didnt stop he wtiting about that blue collar experience.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Someone ask it 'Are men and women equal' . If it refuses to answer we are in big trouble.

If it slips up - we can cancel it Like a loose lipped celeb.

Comment

Depends how you view his tips. Lay the feck out of them for handy pocket money.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                          Surely the whole 'artificial intelligence' thing is just evolution no?

Cells>fishy things>monkey things>human things>machine things?

I, for one, welcome living in a time where I might see such an evolutionary leap and don't think it diminishes us in the least (well, apart from bad Nick Cave lyrics etc...obviously)

Wish I could be here in 200 years to see what it looks like.

I don't think it's a mater of 'machines have won' it should be ' look how we made machines!'
                                                          I dunno, seems to me our single celled ancestors had it made "What will I do today...hmmmm"
                                                          "Maybe a bit of a snooze and then definitely a bit of wafting near the thermal vent..oh yes"

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

I dunno, seems to me our single celled ancestors had it made "What will I do today...hmmmm"
                                                            "Maybe a bit of a snooze and then definitely a bit of wafting near the thermal vent..oh yes"

That's my cat

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

That's my cat
                                                              If I had a cat I'd probably name it holic or astophe

Comment

Comment

I was listening to some Chopin the other evening on the drive home.

I spent most of the journey wondering at how it was possible, how on Earth could someone create something like this. That added immensely to how much I enjoyed it.

Chatgpt4 could likely create something similar with ease, in seconds. That's both awesome and shit imo.
                                                                  I dunno. Learning music theory takes away some of the magic, and creates a different kind of appreciation. But you lose the "wow, where did that come from"

Comment

Hey. Have to pick the bro-in-law up after a Bohs match today - neither he nor I are fully familiar with football. Match starts at 19:45. Am I right in thinking that if I turn up around 21:30, it will be done?
                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Study is gone down to the wire on the Chinese exams tomorrow.

Level 1 exam (basics of basics) - I'm getting 100% repeatedly on the practice tests, good good. That one is presumably in the bag providing the audio is audible.

Level 2 exam (good mastery of basics - about the equivalent of CEFR A1 - more or less the same as having done French in first and second year of secondary, maybe a bit of the actual junior cert year) - getting anywhere between 60% and 75% on practice tests, with 60% needed for a passing grade. There's an awful lot of guesswork in this one. Essentially listening for keywords and assuming there's no tricks in the questions, which there often is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                        Hey. Have to pick the bro-in-law up after a Bohs match today - neither he nor I are fully familiar with football. Match starts at 19:45. Am I right in thinking that if I turn up around 21:30, it will be done?
                                                                        Yep. Would even be safe getting there at 21:45 giving time for injury time added at the end of each half and a few minutes to get out at full time.

Comment

EDIT: so maybe the longevity dream is back on. admittedly most of that longer life to be spent being controlled by an all-powerful AI
                                                                          You need to do a lot more for that dream

Middle-aged tech centimillionaire Bryan Johnson and his team of 30 doctors say they have a plan to reboot his body - How to Be 18 Years Old Again for Only $2 Million a Year

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Yep. Would even be safe getting there at 21:45 giving time for injury time added at the end of each half and a few minutes to get out at full time.
                                                                            Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I dunno. Learning music theory takes away some of the magic, and creates a different kind of appreciation. But you lose the "wow, where did that come from"
                                                                              They are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Worst ever Cheltenham this year
                                                                                Ill be back

Comment

Looks like i’m off to Seville again in 4 weeks
                                                                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

The day could get better yet. In an actual coinflip for a premium ticket to see Ireland collect the GS tomorrow.
                                                                                    Picked tails.
                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                      The day could get better yet. In an actual coinflip for a premium ticket to see Ireland collect the GS tomorrow.
                                                                                      Picked tails.
                                                                                      Victory!!!!

Comment

Victory!!!!
                                                                                        Well done, you bastard x2 would rather that ticket than winning the Chelt competition

Comment

Am thinking of betting England to beat the handicap (last I saw it was +15) as a desperate emotional hedge. 100 would be enough to ease the pain, and of course we could still win the match & GS and see the bet come in.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Well done, you bastard x2 would rather that ticket than winning the Chelt competition
                                                                                            I actually think the tosser fucked up. It was a German 2 euro coin, landed on the German eagle side and he confidently declared 'tails'.
                                                                                            Because eagles have a tail.

Hey, I'll take it.

Comment

Backed Porter to be FTS tomorrow as well.

Comment

I actually think the tosser fucked up. It was a German 2 euro coin, landed on the German eagle side and he confidently declared 'tails'.

Hey, I'll take it.
                                                                                                It's grand when theres a head on one side llike in the old days and everyone knew where they stood ...no confusion... but nowadays you could have a fucking mongoose on one side (sorry ..special needs goose) and a carefully hidden swastika on the other.

Gotta be clear about this stuff
                                                                                                ​​​​​​​

Comment

I've a 20:30 flight tomorrow evening, whats my best option for watching the Match in the airport?

I mean like where in the T2, should I get a lounge and watch it on my laptop or what. I don't remember there being a lot of live TV around the bars.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Strewelpeter; 17-03-23, 23:23.

Comment

Hey, I'll take it.
                                                                                                    Jammy bastard... you lost that toss

For all euro coinage, “heads” is the side with the different country designs. “Tails” is the common design on all coins, with the map of Europe and the coin's value.

Comment

That's awful early for another wire star. Was he not in something just recently?

His co-star in The Wire, Wendell Pierce, said Reddick's death was "sudden, unexpected, sharp, painful grief for our artistic family" and praised him as a "man of great strength and grace".

Comment

Definite vibes of: "I literally can't look after myself, how do I look after kids. What do kids even do?", off the bro in law tonight as he contemplates the stark reality of having very kindly agreed to look after the kids tomorrow while I sit my exams. There go us all, there go us all. Who knows what the fuck kids are about.

The youngest has the weirdest fucking YouTube algorithm and was asking me a few weeks ago about - did you know that the moon landings were actually faked?

I explain a bit about dodgy news stories and to unsubscribe from whatever fucker said that.

So, a week or two later he goes: you know I heard from someone (he remembers my YouTube admonishment and thinks to make out that this is just the kind of things that kids regularly chat about) that actually the Americans created COVID and sent it to China.

Not sure where to go with this.

As a general principle I don't like imposing limits on knowledge. Maybe I just keep talking to him and keep batting down the crazy ideas with explanations, in the hope that that leads to him filtering out the stupid ideas.

The problem is that I'm normally so distracted by my own stupid ideas that I very possibly occasionally just nod through the mad ideas with a "that's interesting" smile.

We might need a system here.
                                                                                                        ​​​​​

Comment

We agreed, upon the bro in laws semi-pleading, that the two of them (eldest is away) would spend most of the time chatting about the periodic tables. Which seems to be the main mutual passion. Oh to be a fly on the wall as they debate the pros and cons of polonium.

Comment

This Chat thing knows it's shit
                                                                                                            Attached Files

Comment

Varadkar (FFS that's hard to type when you've had a few) should apologize for such a pathetic joke....utterly bland and trying to be sort of clever in a PC way ..,..just commit to the joke if you are going to do it
                                                                                                              "Yeah It's a wonder he had any cum left after he was done with me and I wasn't even wearing blue ...wayhay!..would you like some shamrock love"

Press corps

Comment

Hey, I'll take it.
                                                                                                                Harsh..

Comment

Definite vibes of: "I literally can't look after myself, how do I look after kids. What do kids even do?", off the bro in law tonight as he contemplates the stark reality of having very kindly agreed to look after the kids tomorrow while I sit my exams. There go us all, there go us all. Who knows what the fuck kids are about.

The youngest has the weirdest fucking YouTube algorithm and was asking me a few weeks ago about - did you know that the moon landings were actually faked?

I explain a bit about dodgy news stories and to unsubscribe from whatever fucker said that.

So, a week or two later he goes: you know I heard from someone (he remembers my YouTube admonishment and thinks to make out that this is just the kind of things that kids regularly chat about) that actually the Americans created COVID and sent it to China.

Not sure where to go with this.

As a general principle I don't like imposing limits on knowledge. Maybe I just keep talking to him and keep batting down the crazy ideas with explanations, in the hope that that leads to him filtering out the stupid ideas.

The problem is that I'm normally so distracted by my own stupid ideas that I very possibly occasionally just nod through the mad ideas with a "that's interesting" smile.

We might need a system here.
                                                                                                                  ​​​​​
                                                                                                                  Hope you don't try to convince him that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                    I've a 20:30 flight tomorrow evening, whats my best option for watching the Match in the airport?

I mean like where in the T2, should I get a lounge and watch it on my laptop or what. I don't remember there being a lot of live TV around the bars.
                                                                                                                    White Hag bar in t2 has a huge screen

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Balaji on Twitter offering 40-1 on Bitcoin being over $1m in 90 days. He is well known within the community and would pay up and says he is even willing to setup a smart contract so it would get settled automatically.

Liv Boree looking to take him up on it - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/87CEfxJF9l0

Comment

Coin toss is a bit weird because it was always harps that was tails in the pound days. I would have continued that on and called the side with the map and the denomination heads. Actually had to Google to confirm it was still a harp that we had.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Jammy bastard... you lost that toss
                                                                                                                          Who am I to contradict the tosser?

(but yes, I would have said that was heads myself. The other tossee didn't seem to question it so there we go)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X