This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Got the new ChatGPT4, just launched today, because I have a premium account. Asked it to write 300 words in the style of Anthony Bourdain about visiting Supermacs in Dublin on St Patricks Day. Have a read, its very fucking good.

Here's my prediction. Once the wow factor of ChatGPT and it's novelty wanes it will make the world bland and boring.

There's more to the creativity of Bourdain's writing than simply the words.

AI can fuck off with art creation. Solve tedious issues, cure cancer, end poverty but fuck off away from art. Imo.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Here's my prediction. Once the wow factor of ChatGPT and it's novelty wanes it will make the world bland and boring.

There's more to the creativity of Bourdain's writing than simply the words.

AI can fuck off with art creation. Solve tedious issues, cure cancer, end poverty but fuck off away from art. Imo.
      The very last person anyone would expect to be a murderer was Mrs. Avis Lardner. Widow of the great astronaut-martyr, she was a philanthropist, an art collector, a hostess extraordinary, and, everyone agreed, an artistic genius. But above all, she was the gentlest and kindest human being one could imagine.
      Her husband, William J. Lardner, died, as we all know, of the effects of radiation from a solar flare, after he had deliberately remained in space so that a passenger vessel might make it safely to Space Station 5.

Mrs. Lardner had received a generous pension for that, and she had then invested wisely and well. By late middle age she was very wealthy.
      Her house was a showplace, a veritable museum, containing a small but extremely select collection of extraordinarily beautiful jeweled objects. From a dozen different cultures she had obtained relics of almost every conceivable artifact that could be embedded with jewels and made to serve the aristocracy of that culture. She had one of the first jeweled wristwatches manufactured in America, a jeweled dagger from Cambodia, a jeweled pair of spectacles from Italy, and so on almost endlessly.

All was open for inspection. The artifacts were not insured, and there were no ordinary security provisions. There was no need for anything conventional, for Mrs. Lardner maintained a large staff of robot servants, all of whom could be relied on to guard every item with imperturbable concentration, irreproachable honesty, and irrevocable efficiency.
      Everyone knew the existence of those robots and there is no record of any attempt at theft, ever.

And then, of course, there was her light-sculpture. How Mrs. Lardner discovered her own genius at the art, no guest at her many lavish entertainments could guess. On each occasion, however, when her house was thrown open to guests, a new symphony of light shone throughout the rooms; three-dimensional curves and solids in melting color, some pure and some fusing in startling, crystalline effects that bathed every guest in wonder and somehow always adjusted itself so as to make Mrs. Lardner's blue-white hair and soft, unlined face gently beautiful.
      It was for the light-sculpture more than anything else that the guests came. It was never the same twice, and never failed to explore new experimental avenues of art. Many people who could afford light-consoles prepared light-sculptures for amusement, but no one could approach Mrs. Lardner's expertise. Not even those who considered themselves professional artists.
      She herself was charmingly modest about it. "No, no," she would protest when someone waxed lyrical. "I wouldn't call it 'poetry in light.' That's far too kind. At most, I would say it was mere 'light verse.'" And everyone smiled at her gentle wit.

Though she was often asked, she would never create light-sculpture for any occasion but her own parties. "That would be commercialization," she said.
      She had no objection, however, to the preparation of elaborate holograms of her sculptures so that they might be made permanent and reproduced in museums of art an over the world. Nor was there ever a charge for any use that might be made of her light-sculptures.
      "I couldn't ask a penny," she said, spreading her arms wide. "It's free to all. After all, I have no further use for it myself." It was truer She never used the same light-sculpture twice.
      When the holograms were taken, she was cooperation itself. Watching benignly at every step, she was always ready to order her robot servants to help. "Please, Courtney," she would say, "would you be so kind as to adjust the step ladder?"

It was her fashion. She always addressed her robots with the most formal courtesy.
      Once, years before, she had been almost scolded by a government functionary from the Bureau of Robots and Mechanical Men. "You can't do that," he said severely. "It interferes with their efficiency. They are constructed to follow orders, and the more clearly you give those orders, the more efficiently they follow them. When you ask with elaborate politeness, it is difficult for them to understand that an order is being given. They react more slowly."

Mrs. Lardner lifted her aristocratic head. "I do not ask for speed and efficiency," she said. "I ask goodwill. My robots love me."
      The government functionary might have explained that robots cannot love, but he withered under her hurt but gentle glance.
      It was notorious that Mrs. Lardner never even returned a robot to the factory for adjustment. Their positronic brains are enormously complex, and once in ten times or so the adjustment is not perfect as it leaves the factory. Sometimes the error does not show up for a period of time, but whenever it does, u. S. Robots and Mechanical Men, Inc., always makes the adjustment free of charge.

Mrs. Lardner shook her head. "Once a robot is in my house," she said, "and has performed his duties, any minor eccentricities must be borne with. I will not have him manhandled."
      It was the worse thing possible to try to explain that a robot was but a machine. She would say very stiffly, "Nothing that is as intelligent as a robot can ever be but a machine. I treat them as people."
      And that was that!

She kept even Max, although he was almost helpless. He could scarcely understand what was expected of him. Mrs. Lardner denied that strenuously, however. "Not at all," she would say firmly. "He can take hats and coats and store them very well, indeed. He can hold objects for me. He can do many things."
      "But why not have him adjusted?" asked a friend, once.
      "Oh, I couldn't. He's himself. He's very lovable, you know. After all, a positronic brain is so complex that no one can ever tell in just what way it's off. If he were made perfectly normal there would be no way to adjust him back to the lovability he now has. I won't give that up."

"But if he's maladjusted," said the friend, looking at Max nervously, "might he not be dangerous?"
      "Never," laughed Mrs. Lardner. "I've had him for years. He's completely harmless and quite a dear."
      Actually he looked like all the other robots, smooth, metallic, vaguely human but expressionless.
      To the gentle Mrs. Lardner, however, they were all individual, all sweet, all lovable. It was the kind of woman she was.
      How could she commit murder?

The very last person anyone would expect to be murdered would be John Semper Travis. Introverted and gentle, he was in the world but not of it. He had that peculiar mathematical turn of mind that made it possible for him to work out in his mind the complicated tapestry of the myriad positronic brain-paths in a robot's mind.
      He was chief engineer of U.S. Robots and Mechanical Men, Inc.
      But he was also an enthusiastic amateur in light-sculpture. He had written a book on the subject, trying to show that the type of mathematics he used in working out positronic brain-paths might be modified into a guide to the production of aesthetic light-sculpture.

His attempt at putting theory into practice was a dismal failure, however. The sculptures he himself produced, following his mathematical principles, were stodgy, mechanical, and uninteresting.
      It was the only reason for unhappiness in his quiet, introverted, and secure life, and yet it was reason enough for him to be very unhappy indeed. He knew his theories were right, yet he could not make them work. If he could but produce one great piece of light-sculpture-
      Naturally, he knew of Mrs. Lardner's light-sculpture. She was universally hailed as a genius, yet Travis knew she could not understand even the simplest aspect of robotic mathematics. He had corresponded with her but she consistently refused to explain her methods, and he wondered if she had any at all. Might it not be mere intuition? -but even intuition might be reduced to mathematics. Finally he managed to receive an invitation to one of her parties. He simply had to see her.

Mr. Travis arrived rather late. He had made one last attempt at a piece of light-sculpture and had failed dismally.
      He greeted Mrs. Lardner with a kind of puzzled respect and said, "That was a peculiar robot who took my hat and coat."
      "That is Max," said Mrs. Lardner.
      "He is quite maladjusted, and he's a fairly old model. How is it you did not return it to the factory?"
      "Oh, no," said Mrs. Lardner. "It would be too much trouble."
      "None at all, Mrs. Lardner," said Travis. "You would be surprised how simple a task it was. Since I am with U. S. Robots, I took the liberty of adjusting him myself. It took no time and you'll find he is now in perfect working order."

A queer change came over Mrs. Lardner's face. Fury found a place on it for the first time in her gentle life, and it was as though the lines did not know how to form.
      "You adjusted him?" she shrieked. "But it was he who created my light-sculptures. It was the maladjustment, the maladjustment, which you can never restore, that-that-"
      It was really unfortunate that she had been showing her collection at the time and that the jeweled dagger from Cambodia was on the marble tabletop before her.
      Travis's face was also distorted. "You mean if I had studied his uniquely maladjusted positronic brain-paths I might have learned-"
      She lunged with the knife too quickly for anyone to stop her and he did not try to dodge. Some said he came to meet it-as though he wanted to die.

Comment

TL: DR
        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I assume that's by someone like Philip K Dick, L Ron Hubbard or Isaac Asimov - be very impressed (and scared) if its the AI yoke,

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
            I assume that's by someone like Philip K Dick, L Ron Hubbard or Isaac Asimov - be very impressed (and scared) if its the AI yoke,
            Yeah. Asimov.
            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Got the new ChatGPT4, just launched today, because I have a premium account. Asked it to write 300 words in the style of Anthony Bourdain about visiting Supermacs in Dublin on St Patricks Day. Have a read, its very fucking good.

ChatGPT should really be exposing the virtues of the vastly superior smokey bacon burger
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Yep, grand as long as not commuting to City Centre. which estate?
                He is, though not every day. More important for him to have somewhere for his young family. He's looking at Two Oaks, new build apartments on Scholarstown road

Comment

I had a difficult technical issue last week, hard to explain briefly but I believed the provider of a proprietary implementation of a windows dll had a bug in the way they were doing something. The dll is based on thousands of pages of publicly available spec and I was having a really hard time convincing a Japanese development team that it was their issue rather than mine.
                  Some of the problem is that for me to explain took loads of code samples and references to the spec. Communication with the Japanese is difficult and long detailed emails just don't get read properly, I needed a headline paragraph that would explain and back up why they are wrong and I am right.

Ended up putting the high level question into Chat GPT and I was blown away by the succinct, accurate and legible answer I got back. What was impressive was that it's highly unlikely anyone has ever asked this question before so there was no copying and pasting from Stack Overflow or msdn.
                  This AI went off parsed the entirety of the spec and at some level was able to match my question with the spec to pull out a meaningful answer.. Incredible stuff, I reckon it's the kind of thing I could have wasted a couple of days parsing the specs to prove that what they were doing was wrong.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                    Jameson Black Barrel for 30 quid a good deal in BBVs opinion?
                    yes.
                    It's a fantastic mid/low tier irish whiskey
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Still money in the ATMs?
                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

yes.
                        It's a fantastic mid/low tier irish whiskey
                        Great,
                        I got a bottle of that for 30, a Jameson Caskmates IPA for 25 and a bottle of Sheep Dog Peanut Butter Whisky for 21.
                        R.I.P. me.
                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

He is, though not every day. More important for him to have somewhere for his young family. He's looking at Two Oaks, new build apartments on Scholarstown road
                          They look pretty nice from outside, not sure about parking. 15 bus to town is 24/7 every 10/15 mins but probably 80 min trip in rush hour traffic. Good schools although getting into secondary schools is a bit of a lottery. Dublin mountains and Marlay Park on doorstep and plenty of clubs for kids in terms of different sports.

I thought that development was rental only but i dont really know.

Comment

They look pretty nice from outside, not sure about parking. 15 bus to town is 24/7 every 10/15 mins but probably 80 min trip in rush hour traffic. Good schools although getting into secondary schools is a bit of a lottery. Dublin mountains and Marlay Park on doorstep and plenty of clubs for kids in terms of different sports.

I thought that development was rental only but i dont really know.
                            He's looking to rent, he's not Irish so looking for somewhere to move his family to initially while he figures out whether he wants to stick around permanently

Comment

He's looking to rent, he's not Irish so looking for somewhere to move his family to initially while he figures out whether he wants to stick around permanently
                              Quiet, settled area so, if he has any questions fire me a PM

PS - I'm on the look out for a tough tackling holding midfielder for U8s if he has one of those
                              Last edited by Dice75; 15-03-23, 17:18.

Comment

Quiet, settled area so, if he has any questions fire me a PM
                                Cheers, appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                  Still money in the ATMs?
                                  Yes. Hoover up some bank shares with it though.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Until next time. . Oops wrong thread . filedata/fetch?id=1732506&d=1678906445&type=thumb
                                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                                    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 15-03-23, 19:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                      Still money in the ATMs?
                                      Surprisingly yes.

Comment

The Dry on RTE is pretty good.
                                        It's very Paddy Breathnach which is a good thing.

Comment

Referencing Laz post re Asimov Absolutely loved his short stories and novels as a kid

Our house was a treasure trove of books growing up
                                          How much would you pay to capture those first readings!

​​​​​ it was great to be part of s big family as I got to read dog eared copies of the Famous Five , TheHobbit, Cannery Row, Asimov, To kill a Mockingbird...lets not forget the Beano and Warlord comics

​​​​​
                                          Chat GPT is currently just rehashing and spitting out as regards to creative output. There is no wonder and no soul.

​​​​​​I dunno, nothing like a really good novel.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                            Referencing Laz post re Asimov Absolutely loved his short stories and novels as a kid

​​​​​ it was great to be part of s big family as I got to read dog eared copies of the Famous Five , TheHobbit, Cannery Row, Asimov, To kill a Mockingbird...lets not forget the Beano and Warlord comics

​​​​​
                                            Chat GPT is currently just rehashing and spitting out as regards to creative output. There is no wonder and no soul.

​​​​​​
                                            have you read hyperion?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

have you read hyperion?
                                              Not that I recall and although the title is familiar.(have a mental image of a beach)
                                              Its it the one where the planet turns against the colonists (actually that might be Hamilton)
                                              ​​​​​
                                              ​Presume its a good read

Comment

Having an annoying convoluted dispute with Electric Ireland for the last 6 weeks. Sent them a meter reading with image at the beginning of Feb, after two weeks they said it wasn't acceptable and needed to have a newspaper or letter in the image to prove the date. Did that.

They've just accepted that reading but have somehow manually entered the updated consumption as 98kWh, so possible ~40k bill incoming. Expect to see me doing a sad face on the front of a tabloid soon.

And yes, I have requested a smart meter

Comment

have you read hyperion?
                                                  definitely my fav sci fi series by far. currently on my 8th or 9th reread.

Comment

Great,
                                                    I got a bottle of that for 30, a Jameson Caskmates IPA for 25 and a bottle of Sheep Dog Peanut Butter Whisky for 21.
                                                    R.I.P. me.
                                                    This is the drizzling shits

Comment

Having an annoying convoluted dispute with Electric Ireland for the last 6 weeks. Sent them a meter reading with image at the beginning of Feb, after two weeks they said it wasn't acceptable and needed to have a newspaper or letter in the image to prove the date. Did that.

They've just accepted that reading but have somehow manually entered the updated consumption as 98kWh, so possible ~40k bill incoming. Expect to see me doing a sad face on the front of a tabloid soon.

Guy whom works with me, has a meter that is not easily read by the ESB.
                                                      He keeps a notebook and makes up his own reading in order to 'even out' the bills.
                                                      He is raging that he got a letter for a smart meter installation later this month, and now has a big lump of a bill coming at high current prices.
                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

​​​​​

​​​​​​
                                                        I discovered old man and the sea, to kill a mockingbird, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, some Clive Barker and King when very young in my house.
                                                        One day when around 12 or 13 I was bored and picked up flowers in the attic.
                                                        That led to some confused reactions

Comment

Wankers
                                                          Have a customer trying to switch from them since January.
                                                          They screwed up his bills and then debt flagged him even though he had paid them. The debt flag meant he couldn't switch to another provider.They hadn't allocated the payments he made to his various accounts (he has 3 MPRNs)
                                                          They redid the bills and again they were wrong.
                                                          One of the reads was way over what the actual read was and they insisted it was an actual read. Then they suggested the customer had submitted it himself.
                                                          Customer is beyond frustrated ringing the incompetent lying bastards as he has to go through the entire story again.
                                                          I couldn't make head nor tail of their bills other than that they were wrong and not tallying.
                                                          Costing him a fair chunk as their rates are higher.

Had a Chinese customer on who was auto renewed on a ridiculously high rate for his takeaway gas supply (7times his last rate) He was getting nowhere with the provider so I got him to sign letter of authority and started making calls. Probably took 3 hours all told and finally got the old rate cancelled and on to a feasible rate.
                                                          Emery companies need a strict hand, it's beyond sickening what they get away with.

Unfortunately there is zero accountability and the regulator doesn't give a FF about businesses

Comment

Guy whom works with me, has a meter that is not easily read by the ESB.
                                                            He keeps a notebook and makes up his own reading in order to 'even out' the bills.
                                                            He is raging that he got a letter for a smart meter installation later this month, and now has a big lump of a bill coming at high current prices.
                                                            AFAIK they are not compulsory, he can ring ESB networks and say he doesn't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I discovered old man and the sea, to kill a mockingbird, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, some Clive Barker and King when very young in my house.
                                                              One day when around 12 or 13 I was bored and picked up flowers in the attic.
                                                              That led to some confused reactions

Yes I found a few "bodice rippers" in my rummagings
                                                              Let's just say my French teacher was knocked off her number one perch for a few weeks!!

Comment

Well this doesn't seem dubious at all.

Microsoft Cuts AI Ethics and Society Team as Part of Layoffs

Right, when AI has become such a huge core part of your business you downsize this team. This is is the part in the movie when you feel like the plot has become a little too unbelievable

Comment

Correct
                                                                  Must be a satisfying career Architecture I would think. My uncle was one also.
                                                                  There are tough days, stress, deadlines, issues like most other jobs. But certainly elements are hugely satisfying. That doesn’t exist for a lot of people. I have friends who hate their jobs. Literally despise the entirety of their job and put up with it just to eat, drink, etc. I dint know if I could do that.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Yeah, it's truly amazing. How do you rate the follow-up books? I rarely read series of books, and I've been bitterly disappointed by any follow-up sci-fi books I've read; for example, enders game is almost the perfect novel, but the sequels are not so much.

Also, have you read A deepness in the sky?

Comment

Never read it, just purchased now to read
                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Not that I recall and although the title is familiar.(have a mental image of a beach)
                                                                        Its it the one where the planet turns against the colonists (actually that might be Hamilton)
                                                                        ​​​​​
                                                                        ​Presume its a good read

Yeah, I just read it and loved it. Like you I grew up reading Asimov - I have the feeling now that Asimov is a bit like the game monopoly, ubiquitous but not necessarily the best example of sci-fi/board games.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                          I assumed Asimov with the robots being expected to behave a certain way.
                                                                          Needed more futurist drugs for Dick. Not sure what Hubbard ever did apart from brainwash dumb Americans.

Comment

On the likelihood of AI being able to truly create art; I think that our own personal beliefs on this subject are a philosophical consideration as much as anything else.

It starts with whether or not you believe that humans have a 'soul', and if so, what exactly that entails. I have always, throughout my life, seen the world as scientific and run strictly according to the rules of the universe (physics, chemistry, etc...) with no room for spirituality or the like. Basically "Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis" For me, our organic brain is simply an unbelievably complex physical machine, that can eventually be replicated in electronic form.

Right now, though admittedly without reading about it that deeply, I am 100% convinced that AI *will* at some point in the relatively-near future be able to match anything that humans can create, not just aping existing art. At this point of course said AI should probably be recognised as being fully conscious; what an exciting future is ahead of us!

Comment

I loved Hyperion, and greatly enjoyed all the sequels. Haven't read them as much as Shrap but definitely have read them all twice, if not three times. Also liked his Ilium novels.

Comment

Yeah, it's truly amazing. How do you rate the follow-up books? I rarely read series of books, and I've been bitterly disappointed by any follow-up sci-fi books I've read; for example, enders game is almost the perfect novel, but the sequels are not so much.

Also, have you read A deepness in the sky?
                                                                                i'm assuming you've read hyperion 1 and 2 and you're referring to the follow up endimion (1 and 2)? i personally loved them. They're set in the same world but offer a very different story, which i find absolutely beautiful and often think about, but to be clear, it's not quite to the level of hyperion. personal thought on it is that it was Besson's inspiration for the fifth element (i've never read anything to suggest that, but resaw the fifth element recently and it just suddenly made sense!)

loved enders game, and thought the follow up was brilliant, the others not so much, but it was always going to be difficult to follow up such a masterpiece as ender's game.

i've not read that series so have added it to the list!

Comment

i'm assuming you've read hyperion 1 and 2 and you're referring to the follow up endimion (1 and 2)? i personally loved them. They're set in the same world but offer a very different story, which i find absolutely beautiful and often think about, but to be clear, it's not quite to the level of hyperion. personal thought on it is that it was Besson's inspiration for the fifth element (i've never read anything to suggest that, but resaw the fifth element recently and it just suddenly made sense!)

loved enders game, and thought the follow up was brilliant, the others not so much, but it was always going to be difficult to follow up such a masterpiece as ender's game.

i've not read that series so have added it to the list!
                                                                                  I haven't read Hyperion 2 yet, but I will!

My memory is a bit hazy for the enders game series; I just remember being disappointed by the end and vowing not to go through a similar thing. I think you're right, it is very hard to follow on from a masterpiece, but there's tremendous pressure on authors to continue because of how much money they will make when sometimes the story s already perfect.

A deepness in the sky is incredible; there is one moment in particular where all the different strands come together, and I thought, wow, this is perfection. “So High, So Low, So Many Things to Know”.

This year I'm trying to read as much of the best Sci-FI that I missed the first time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                    Well this doesn't seem dubious at all.

Microsoft Cuts AI Ethics and Society Team as Part of Layoffs

Right, when AI has become such a huge core part of your business you downsize this team. This is is the part in the movie when you feel like the plot has become a little too unbelievable

Pretty sure they'll acquire cyberdyne systems in the near future

Comment

Yeah, I just read it and loved it. Like you I grew up reading Asimov - I have the feeling now that Asimov is a bit like the game monopoly, ubiquitous but not necessarily the best example of sci-fi/board games.
                                                                                      I guess we could consider Asimov's works as the gateway drug to sci fi!

Wikid Hyperion and the synopsis is very familiar with the "Shrike"
                                                                                      Ordered from library so something to look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                        On the likelihood of AI being able to truly create art; I think that our own personal beliefs on this subject are a philosophical consideration as much as anything else.

It starts with whether or not you believe that humans have a 'soul', and if so, what exactly that entails. I have always, throughout my life, seen the world as scientific and run strictly according to the rules of the universe (physics, chemistry, etc...) with no room for spirituality or the like. Basically "Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis" For me, our organic brain is simply an unbelievably complex physical machine, that can eventually be replicated in electronic form.

Right now, though admittedly without reading about it that deeply, I am 100% convinced that AI *will* at some point in the relatively-near future be able to match anything that humans can create, not just aping existing art. At this point of course said AI should probably be recognised as being fully conscious; what an exciting future is ahead of us!
                                                                                        Art is what hangs in a gallery.

An interesting question to ask is what is the relationship between what are brains are actually doing and what we consciously experience and believe about ourselves, consciousness, intentionality, and reality. We don't experience what out neurons are actually doing or what data from the senses it is working with. We get an end process fabrication which is a caricature of any of these things, which has evolved as an expedient so that we may function in the world. It's not real. We don't experience reality as it is, or ourselves as we actually are. It's a puppet show version for 3 year olds.

Now when you begin to ask the question whether it is possible for the mind to begin to see the nature of these fabrications as fabrications, and begin to let go of attachment to them as being reality, then I think you're getting into the area that might be called spirituality. If you could do this and then see that it is fabrication all the way down, there being no solid ground upon which to stand and say "this is reality" (including all our scientific perspectives - which are fabrications for 8 year olds), and that all you're left with is "this fabrication conduces to this outcome and that fabrication conduces to that outcome", then you could be in the realm of having real freedom - the goal of the spiritual life.

The freedom to choose the fabrication that has beneficial outcomes. Others will of course laugh and say "that's not reality." And then you could smile, because they are right, and also devastatingly wrong.

Comment

A pretty cool machine learning competition has launched, with a good back story even for those not interested in ML.

A $1,000,000+ machine learning and computer vision competition

They are trying to read burnt scrolls from near Mount Vesuvius that can't be opened,

"To get X-rays at the highest possible resolution, the team uses a particle accelerator to scan two full scrolls and several fragments. At 4-8µm resolution, with 16 bits of density data per voxel, they believe machine learning models can pick up subtle surface patterns in the papyrus that indicate the presence of carbon-based ink."

Does anyone here compete on Kaggle?

Comment

I haven't read Hyperion 2 yet, but I will!

My memory is a bit hazy for the enders game series; I just remember being disappointed by the end and vowing not to go through a similar thing. I think you're right, it is very hard to follow on from a masterpiece, but there's tremendous pressure on authors to continue because of how much money they will make when sometimes the story s already perfect.

A deepness in the sky is incredible; there is one moment in particular where all the different strands come together, and I thought, wow, this is perfection. “So High, So Low, So Many Things to Know”.

This year I'm trying to read as much of the best Sci-FI that I missed the first time around.
                                                                                            Fall of Hyperion is a no-brainer to read, the story ends completely unresolved at the end of Hyperion sure. I agree with Shrap that the two Endymion books are great as well but maybe ever so slightly inferior.

Is A Deepness in the Sky the one with the planet of dog like creatures where groups of them share a single consciousness or something like that?

Comment

I can't wait for the tunes. Let the AI view brain activity scans when people are listening to music and let it learn. It is going to have some bangers.

Comment

In Episode 42375* of Hitch Has the Longest Fucking MidLife Crisis Ever He's Even Going To The Gym, I was shocked to notice some grey hairs recently starting to appear. Not much yet, but those fuckers are like ivy, once they get hold you're done. So I bought this grey-reducing shampoo. Boom! Done in one! Thanks be to jebus that all the researchers aren't wasting their life on hydrogen save-the-planet shite like zuut and some are devoting their lives to the true cause of inventing invaluable services to glamour.

* Since you asked, Episode 42376 will revolve around ear hair. Why the fuck has hair started growing in my fucking earhole?
                                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Although, there was one negative review on amazon saying that the product made his hair fall out.

Comment

You are a brave man Hitch. That stuff has 54 reviews on that link you posted, 33 of which give it one star with all sorts of orange hair reports

I often think about this when I am reading all these articles about life extension. Talking about how they can reset genes and we might be able to live twice as long. Moherfuckers you can even cure grey hair let alone cure aging.

Comment

You are a brave man Hitch. That stuff has 54 reviews on that link you posted, 33 of which give it one star with all sorts of orange hair reports

I often think about this when I am reading all these articles about life extension. Talking about how they can reset genes and we might be able to live twice as long. Moherfuckers you can even cure grey hair let alone cure aging.
                                                                                                      yikes, the amazon reviewers are far more forgiving than the boots reviewers who just lay it all out there. one small ray of hope is this comment quite recently:

After months of disappointment and “copper “ hair they have finally reverted back to the old formula and it’s better than ever.

EDIT: so maybe the longevity dream is back on. admittedly most of that longer life to be spent being controlled by an all-powerful AI

Comment

In Episode 42375* of Hitch Has the Longest Fucking MidLife Crisis Ever He's Even Going To The Gym, I was shocked to notice some grey hairs recently starting to appear. Not much yet, but those fuckers are like ivy, once they get hold you're done. So I bought this grey-reducing shampoo. Boom! Done in one! Thanks be to jebus that all the researchers aren't wasting their life on hydrogen save-the-planet shite like zuut and some are devoting their lives to the true cause of inventing invaluable services to glamour.
                                                                                                        Now prog chair, research convenor, and 4 grant applications in the mill....many grey hairs.

Comment

I can't wait for the tunes. Let the AI view brain activity scans when people are listening to music and let it learn. It is going to have some bangers.
                                                                                                          No thanks.

Fuck that.

Comment

Terrible to see that Laz has finally reached the age of "I just don't get the tech, why can't we just keep things the way they are". I would have had 5star as first faller, despite his tech background. And, on the other side, here's me without a grey hair in my head.

Comment

Terrible to see that Laz has finally reached the age of "I just don't get the tech, why can't we just keep things the way they are". I would have had 5star as first faller, despite his tech background. And, on the other side, here's me without a grey hair in my head.
                                                                                                              I think the tech is awesome, I'm imagining what's possible with 3D printers. 'I need a product that will provide a solution to problem X' hit print.

The possibilities are astounding and amazing, especially in Pharma.

I just don't like the idea of any random neckbeard being able to create something as good as Jimi Hendrix.

The world needs amazing people.

Comment

Bizarrely 'Welcome to The Machine' just came on.

Floyd would actually write some good shit about this.

Comment

Good to see another lad not falling for the bullshit.
                                                                                                                  people want to believe so bad
                                                                                                                  Good article here but keep believing all the weirdo tech bros
                                                                                                                  And a chatbot is not a human. And a linguist named Emily M. Bender is very worried what will happen when we forget this.

like most of the technological “progress” of past few years you have a bunch of hopium addicts seriously believing that finally fully automated space communism has arrived .as has now become clear with social media etc - which was cheerled on as groundbreaking progress by the same people in the early days but has actually fucked up society- these models (which are not intelligent) will just make things far worse for majority of humanity.
                                                                                                                  don’t buy in to the doomsday scenarios- just because energy crises/biosphere collapse/resource depletion etc make the skynet stuff utterly unviable anyway.
                                                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I'm sorry to say, but the idea that technological progress is always good for society and will continue unabated is deeply flawed. The reality is that our current path of industrialization and technological advancement has had catastrophic consequences for the environment and our overall well-being.

Climate change is a prime example of this. The burning of fossil fuels and the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere have caused temperatures to rise to dangerous levels, resulting in more frequent and severe natural disasters, loss of biodiversity, and a threat to food security.

Resource depletion is another significant issue that cannot be ignored. We are using up the earth's resources faster than they can be replenished, leading to scarcity and conflicts over access to water, minerals, and other essential materials. The overconsumption of resources has also contributed to the destruction of natural habitats and the collapse of ecosystems.

Biosphere collapse is a phenomenon that is already underway. We are seeing the extinction of species at an alarming rate, and the loss of biodiversity threatens the stability of ecosystems that support life on earth. This collapse is linked to the overexploitation of resources, pollution, and climate change.

Renewable energy cannot replace fossil fuels overnight. It will take decades to build the necessary infrastructure and transition to a clean energy system. In the meantime, the continued burning of fossil fuels is contributing to the worsening climate crisis and environmental destruction.

Therefore, it is essential to recognize that blindly pursuing technological progress without considering its impact on the environment and society is not only irresponsible but also dangerous. We need to prioritize sustainability and consider the long-term consequences of our actions. Without a fundamental shift in our values and priorities, we risk irreversibly damaging the planet and leaving future generations with a world that is unlivable.
                                                                                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Guess which of the above was posted by an artificial “intelligence”

Comment

Asked it to write a topical poem on Cheltenham - brutal

Oh dear, my dear, what have you done? Lost all your money, even the rent, it's gone On Cheltenham, on horses, on bets You're left with nothing, just regrets

What's left to do when you're in this mess? When you're flat broke and feeling the stress? You need a plan, a scheme, a way out To get some cash, to turn about

And so you turn to desperate deeds To fulfill your urge for racing steeds You offer up your body, your soul To get that cash, to fill the hole

And with the money in your hand You rush back to the bookie stand To place one last bet, one last try To win big, to say goodbye

But the odds are not in your favor Your horse falls, it's not a savior And so you're left with nothing at all But memories of your reckless call

So what's the lesson in this tale? That betting is a risky trail That can lead to ruin, to despair So be careful, be aware

Don't gamble more than you can lose Don't bet your rent, don't pay the dues And if you find yourself in a bind Remember, there's always a way to unwind.

Comment

Guinness Nitro Surge.

There's your impactful technological advancement.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X