Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched -In the Loop again last night . What a fun yet exhaustive movie.

Comment

The guy we bought the house from planted a tree right in front of the front window about 20 years ago. Such a dumbass idea. But the wife has a belief that no matter how stupid the planting decisions of a very old man, that the trees now have a right to exist. Like he'd planted fucking spruces all over the back garden that were blocking all the sunlight and that was apparently their right. That was a long fought battle, largely won by everyone she talked to in seek of support thinking she was joking when she said she wanted to keep the trees. Today, then, saw the culmination of a few weeks of silent warfare. External insulators turned up and I'd been talking to the main guy saying that no matter what, find some excuse to cut down the front window tree. In fairness to him he was masterful in the conversation. Expressing his deep love for the tree, and chatting about what a genius idea it was to block the light coming in a freaking window, but unfortunately ...

A+, would insulate again.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

omg

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

Doesn't discredit his opinion but for me it's a bit of a red flag.

Didn't think I would need to show evidence that most electronics, clothing, etc.. are made by slaves. Factories in China, Indonesia, Cambodia, etc.. paying pennies, with terrible working conditions - that's modern day slavery. Children mining cobalt in Africa. Thought that was as well established as climate change being real at this point.
          There's a good case to be made that this is exactly the opposite of the situation you describe; China and Indonesia have gone from incredibly poor to reasonably well off due to taking part in the world economy, both primarily by manufacturing - China took nearly 1billion people out of poverty in 40 years. Google the Indonesian economic miracle, and you will find lots of articles on it. Indonesia is now considered a middle-income economy. The average wage for a job in a factory is almost $4 an hour in China. Not bad considering the previous alternatives and the cost of living there.

You're right that things could be better, and children working in mines is terrible and something that should be stamped out, but it's a relatively small problem in mostly the poorest countries and communities, typically because the families have no access to better manufacturing jobs.

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
          I should say it is/will be big tech monetising all of AI technology. They are the ones pumping all the money into it, hoarding all the best talent I would say. Anyone that comes along with something better will be bought off. I will admit I'm not an expert in the industry by any means so open to complete correction on this point.
          I don't really know what you mean by big tech! If you are saying that technology companies will be the ones monetising AI, then yes, of course, but that's like saying Farmers are monopolising agriculture. By definition, an ai company is a tech company; if they are successful, they will become "big"!

Google had a massive lead in AI but has stumbled recently and lost out to OpenAI and Microsoft (at least in the market's perception), largely due to the innovator's dilemma.

In any case, in my opinion, almost all of the progress will end up as consumer surplus; there is very little of the technology that isn't going to be commoditised. Possibly companies that have access to large data sets (eg, Twitter, quora) have a defensible moat, but I'm not even sure about that.
          Last edited by Hectorjelly; 07-03-23, 14:26.

Comment

This is a little mad. You can ask a question in chat to a specific character on the call. The AI host will ask your question and then the AI character will answer the question. It is a good way off being perfect (this will improve very quickly) but dam it is very good and the Trump one is almost perfect. Crazy times!.

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

There's a good case to be made that this is exactly the opposite of the situation you describe; China and Indonesia have gone from incredibly poor to reasonably well off due to taking part in the world economy, both primarily by manufacturing - China took nearly 1billion people out of poverty in 40 years. Google the Indonesian economic miracle, and you will find lots of articles on it. Indonesia is now considered a middle-income economy. The average wage for a job in a factory is almost $4 an hour in China. Not bad considering the previous alternatives and the cost of living there.
              Yep, average person in China earns about the same as the average person in a standard Eastern European country. Mad development of living standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                I watched -In the Loop again last night . What a fun yet exhaustive movie.
                The Thick of It is one of my favorite shows.
                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Me and the aul Zod ran a videogame tournament this weekend and it went really well.

334641668_204749598902283_3166069382016673266_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=WtuOKOiiIbkAX8cvQGL&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=00_AfBZ1zlnkSuKr3cqf4zhgyFI35sw7DNTxA9NXu7aiI1B2Q&oe=640BE84D.jpg

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    omg

Damn that dude was person of the year in Iceland, and seems like such a great person. Plus he just absolutely blasted Elon, bravo.

Comment

Message box popping up on my laptop saying
                      PC HelpSoft Driver Updater Tray

(Red circle with white x) Integer Overflow

Is this anything to worry about?
                      Doesn't seem to be affecting anything yet

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Head gasket gone mate.

Comment

Pray for dinekes

Comment

These insulators are operating at a speed of a small army. Jaysus. In the space of a few hours they've erected all the scaffolding, demolished all window sills, and covered about 20% of the house in the insulation pads. Would almost make you question why it costs €20k

Comment

These insulators are operating at a speed of a small army. Jaysus. In the space of a few hours they've erected all the scaffolding, demolished all window sills, and covered about 20% of the house in the insulation pads. Would almost make you question why it costs €20k
                              We were ready to go on an attic conversion but there’s been a slight delay. We’re in no crazy rush, any time before summer will be fine.

In an effort to avoid losing any space in the “box room”, we decided to put in a custom stairs that sits somewhere between a stairs and a ladder but definitely closer to the former.
                              Ours will be centered with storage underneath but similar idea as below, maybe a couple of attempts to get use to it but it’s interesting:

gamia_mini_13.jpg?q=80&canvas.width=621&canvas.height=931&canvas.color=ffffff&w=621&h=931.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Third party driver updaters are generally a bad idea.
                                I'd uninstall it.

More importantly, what colour is the laptop
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I'd uninstall it.

​​​​​

Didn't even know I had installed a third party driver updater! Mind you there is another annoying message popping up every time I turn about updating something which I just close

Right so...uninstall third party driver update dater
                                  Just have to find the bastard first!

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

€20k ...if they don't screw you over for removing the tree

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

We were ready to go on an attic conversion but there’s been a slight delay. We’re in no crazy rush, any time before summer will be fine.

In an effort to avoid losing any space in the “box room”, we decided to put in a custom stairs that sits somewhere between a stairs and a ladder but definitely closer to the former.
                                      Ours will be centered with storage underneath but similar idea as below, maybe a couple of attempts to get use to it but it’s interesting:

gamia_mini_13.jpg?q=80&canvas.width=621&canvas.height=931&canvas.color=ffffff&w=621&h=931.jpg
                                      oh that looks nice

Comment

omg
                                        The grace with which that lad has been handling the whole thing is mighty impressive.

Not that there needed to be more evidence but the situation is a perfect summary of what a scummy spiteful child Musk is

Musk cheerleaders will be this year's NFT-bros

Comment

On a conference call and the person presenting, can't seem to say the word 'Error' and instead says 'Air' which is really tilting me for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                            This is a little mad. You can ask a question in chat to a specific character on the call. The AI host will ask your question and then the AI character will answer the question. It is a good way off being perfect (this will improve very quickly) but dam it is very good and the Trump one is almost perfect. Crazy times!.

https://www.twitch.tv/atheneaiheroes
                                            The host guy was in poker for a while. Did a challenge which IIRC was a million hands of $25nl in a month.

Comment

That's quite a claim about slaves! Do you have any evidence to back it up?
                                              Slavery was a shite labour model from an employers perspective. You had the initial layout, the upkeep (shelter, medicine, food, clothes etc) and risk to your asset of injury or death. Much better off paying just enough for the upkeep, like employers do today.
                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

really sucks if you start up stairs with your right foot

Comment

Lol on shraps witticism!

Comment

Great to see posters returning and an uptick in the daily post count. Keep it up ye beautiful crazy bunch of bastards. Going to take AI a while to figure this funhouse out.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

really sucks if you start up stairs with your right foot
                                                      Worse coming down on the wrong foot kiddo.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Slavery was a shite labour model from an employers perspective. You had the initial layout, the upkeep (shelter, medicine, food, clothes etc) and risk to your asset of injury or death. Much better off paying just enough for the upkeep, like employers do today.
                                                        I think the Roman Empire is a pretty good counter-example!

There's actually a good economist piece on this https://www.economist.com/free-excha...economic-sense

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I'd uninstall it.

Grand job DP ..that's an uninstalling it won't forget!

​​​​​

Comment

What are we giving for wedding presents from a couple these days?

Comment

Fire all the writersand plug into Bullshit as a service ChatGPT instead

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                What are we giving for wedding presents from a couple these days?
                                                                Stuck 300 in a card at my cousins wedding a few months ago. No idea where that fits in general tbh but felt like enough.

Comment

Comment

20k? Is that because you don’t have cavity external walls? I.e. you’re building a layer of insulation rather than just foam ball filling the cavities? We got it done for 4.5k in 2018 with 1.5k grant taking it to 3k.

Comment

Worse coming down on the wrong foot kiddo.
                                                                      Nah, if anything it speeds it up

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Stuck 300 in a card at my cousins wedding a few months ago. No idea where that fits in general tbh but felt like enough.
                                                                        Jaysus....inflationary times! This is an old work colleague so I'll be taking the unders on that.

Comment

Ahead of the United v Betis game I came across this article about the Irishman who links them. Didn’t know the story at all so maybe some other aficionados might find it interesting…

Patrick O'Connell's life story takes some telling.

A footballer whose talent took him from Ireland to England and the Manchester United captaincy. A man who was embroiled in one of football's biggest betting scandals and who left his wife and children for a second life in Spain. A manager who is regarded as the saviour of Barcelona and who took Real Betis to their sole La Liga title.

With Betis and United meeting for the first time in a competitive fixture this week, O'Connell's tale is a timely one. He's revered in Spain. Indeed travelling United fans heading to the Benito Villamarín Stadium for the second leg of the Europa League tie next week will be able to see a bust honouring the Irishman outside the stadium.

ALSO READ: Five players at risk of suspension in Manchester United vs Real Betis

His Betis side usurped the giants of Real Madrid to claim the 1935 Championship. Eighty eight years on it remains the only time the side from Sevilla have been crowned Champions.

It earned O'Connell a job at Barcelona where, with the Spanish Civil War raging, he was at the helm during a tumultuous period of the club's history. They were saved from bankruptcy only by touring foreign shores for money, Harlem Globetrotters style. The squad sailed to Mexico and then New York for exhibition games and the revenue preserved Barca. His name is etched in Nou Camp history, just as it is in Betis where he was affectionately known as 'Don Patricio.'

"At Betis, what he did was really special," says Sue O'Connell, wife of Patrick's grandson Mike and author of the book The Man Who Saved FC Barcelona, which this year is being translated into Catalan. "They remember him to this day because that is the only time they have ever won La Liga.

"We went to Seville and my husband was in a bar. His Spanish is not particularly good and the bar man was asking if we were tourists. Mike said we were there for a particular reason, beacuse of Patrick.

"The bloke who ran the bar stopped, ran upstairs and came down with a picture of Patrick! Because he won La Liga he was so big there. It was a big thing for them and it was a big thing for us to see that they had a picture of him in the bar.
                                                                          Real Betis celebrate winning La Liga in 1935 with Patrick O'Connell far left on the back row
                                                                          "We were out there for a big event because they had a presentation of a bust of Patrick which was done by one of Ireland's leading sculptors. That was very special indeed."

Certainly O'Connell was famous in Spain, but there was the infamous side too. While in Seville he re-married despite still being wed to his first wife who he had left in England along with their four children when moving abroad. The bigamy was something of an open secret and was one part of an off-field life that could perhaps be politley described as colourful.

While a player at United, where he had risen to captain, O'Connell became embroiled in a betting scandal that rocked English football. He'd moved to Old Trafford in 1914 for £1,000 - a huge sum at the time - and was named skipper the following January.

By now the First World War had taken hold but the Football League season continued to a conclusion with United at the wrong end of the table and facing the drop. The uncertainty around the prospect of football, and therefore wages, being stopped due to the War provided the backdrop for the scandal during an April game with mid-table Liverpool.

United needed a win and they got it, prevailing 2-0. But that doesn't begin to tell the story of one of the most controversial games in English football history. Spectators were convinced something was afoot and after the game bookies reported large amounts of money waged on a 2-0 United win at odds of 7-1.

The Football Association investigated and ruled that seven players had conspired to fix the result. O'Connell was not among them, but he was called to London as part of the inquiry. He'd blazed a penalty so far wide at 1-0 that he couldn't possibly be exempt from examination. Whether he missed on purpose, knowing what was to come, or if the spot kick failure was just a woeful effort that suggests his innocence, remains unknown. What is certain is that he avoided punishment.

Who knows what his exact involvement was," continues Sue. "Players were banned for life but Patrick wasn't. There was an inquiry in London and he went down there. He had a touch of the Blarney and made the committee laugh and came up with the right things at the right time and was let off. I think three United players were banned for life and he wasn't. He had a habit of getting involved in things."

That's one way of putting it. O'Connell spent the war working in a munitions factory in London and ended his playing career with Scottish side Dumbarton and Ashington in Northumberland, where he became player manager and laid the foundations for his move to Spain - a country that had largely been introduced to football by the English and continued to look there for talent. It wasn't a path trodden by too many in the 1920s but that seems appropriate for O'Connell, whose life and career was anything but ordinary.

Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                            Fire all the writersand plug into Bullshit as a service ChatGPT instead

As one of the comments underneath notes - ChatGPT would be vastly better than that. E.g. I've no idea who the guy is, but gave this prompt to ChatGPT: "Imagine you are a journalist for a jazz specialist magazine. Write me a 100 word obituary for the jazz player Wayne Shorter."

Output was:

"Wayne Shorter, the legendary jazz saxophonist and composer, passed away at the age of 87. Shorter was a towering figure in the jazz world, known for his adventurous and innovative approach to music. He was a member of Miles Davis' iconic quintet in the 1960s and later co-founded the groundbreaking fusion band Weather Report. Shorter's compositions, such as "Footprints" and "Speak No Evil," are considered jazz standards and have been covered by countless musicians. His playing was characterized by a unique and emotive style that captured the essence of jazz improvisation. His legacy will continue to inspire generations of jazz musicians to come."

Now obv all of the above would have to be fact-checked, but its well-written as a first draft. There's no way that obit in the tweet was written by ChatGPT.

Comment

That’s a couple i’m guessing?

Edit: whoops, see the original question was for a couple

Comment

Madness.
                                                                                outside of siblings unless one of the couple saved your life in the very recent past then it’s 200 quid max.
                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

150 I would have thought was standard.
                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Ted Gioia is great, dunno why it took me so long to hear about him.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Madness.
                                                                                      outside of siblings unless one of the couple saved your life in the very recent past then it’s 200 quid max.
                                                                                      I think 200 is standard, probably heading to 250.

Someone I know is getting married soon (someone I've mentioned before ) they made a point of mentioning how much the venue is charging pp

Comment

I think the Roman Empire is a pretty good counter-example!

There's actually a good economist piece on this https://www.economist.com/free-excha...economic-sense

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                          Just ordered a bridle leather belt off them. It's suspiciously cheap at €50 but sure can't go wrong at the price and they claim they'll deliver by Paddy's Day...let's see.
                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Someone I know is getting married soon (someone I've mentioned before ) they made a point of mentioning how much the venue is charging pp
                                                                                            Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you can throw fiddies at the married couple like a Big Shot.

Comment

@sp, finished the last of the Signor SiL Salami this evening. You get some value out of an order!

Comment

You'd know Dobby is getting married this year

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                  You'd know Dobby is getting married this year
                                                                                                  Lazare not invited, Mystery Guest a maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

For a couple these would be my rules:
                                                                                                    • If they were at your wedding as a couple in the not too distant past, see how much they gave you and match it
                                                                                                    • Otherwise, 200 for work people, other people you know enough but aren't close to, regardless of soundness
                                                                                                      • 250 if you are reasonably close to them
                                                                                                      • 300 for family or very close friends
                                                                                                    If you are the point of not liking them very much then you shouldn't go to the wedding really. No card or 50 in a card at most. If you can't go but really want to and like them, then 100 in a card imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Just ordered a bridle leather belt off them. It's suspiciously cheap at €50 but sure can't go wrong at the price and they claim they'll deliver by Paddy's Day...let's see.
                                                                                                      Report back please

Comment

I wonder if RDIII has a bit of the Fifty Shads stuff going on back at the house with all the belts he does be buying. Was a 'games room' ever mentions in those home renovation plans?

Comment

I assume a few here have visited Malta in the past or maybe even resident if I remember.

Is it a pretty quick trip from Valletta into Portomaso throughout the day?

Comment

Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you can purchase your own Mediterranean island.

Comment

I wonder if RDIII has a bit of the Fifty Shads stuff going on back at the house with all the belts he does be buying. Was a 'games room' ever mentions in those home renovation plans?
                                                                                                              Belts and umbrellas. Figure that one out.

Comment

I assume a few here have visited Malta in the past or maybe even resident if I remember.

Is it a pretty quick trip from Valletta into Portomaso throughout the day?
                                                                                                                Its one of those trips where the last few hundred metres can be a killer, narrow streets into the busiest area of an island with huge car usage.

Comment

Happy International K Bush day. 2nd to Joni in female musical genius

Comment

Happy international W hey let me finish my sentence Happy International Wom... ah here wait for a second until i type this Happy ...feck it i'm going out.

Comment

Just dispatched.
                                                                                                                      So clearly not made from scratch (Equus used to take 8-12 weeks).

Comment

Just dispatched.
                                                                                                                        So clearly not made from scratch (Equus used to take 8-12 weeks).
                                                                                                                        Need a more discerning upmarket offering where you can choose which live animal to get it from for the real "from scratch" experience.

199bcdc1df4de1d1e888b54794b48700.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Need a more discerning upmarket offering where you can choose which live animal to get it from for the real "from scratch" experience.
                                                                                                                          Excellent idea
                                                                                                                          <Would invest>

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X