This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Needed a code to scan a few thousand web pages and extract a particular bit of information from each. Would normally take me at least a day of faffing about trying a million different codes as I've so little specific knowledge in that area. Typed the problem into ChatGPT and out it comes with a few lines of code that are now happily chugging away at the task. It really is a phenomenon.
    This is on next Thursday:

An experimental play which will involve actors performing a script generated by artificial intelligence (AI) will be staged in Dublin next week.

The show, entitled 'PL-AI', will see audiences in Tallaght's Civic Theatre choose the play's genre, theme, setting, characters and plot points.

These will then be fed into a generative language AI model to create a script which will be performed live by the cast of actors.

Created by Irish playwright Niall Austin, the immersive experience will see audience suggestions fed into ChatGPT, an artificial intelligence system, which instantly generates a script that will appear on screens throughout the theatre.

Actors will then bring the audiences' creation to life, performing the script on stage.

"By putting the audience in control of the play development, we're allowing them to gain a deeper understanding of how story-arcs are formed and how a play evolves over time," Mr Austin said.

"With the help of AI we can create a performance that's both unique and educational," he added.

ChatGPT has attracted a lot of attention since its launch in November 2022 as it can provide fast, human-like responses to questions and is also able to write essays, scripts, poetry and even jokes.

It has sparked concerns about copyright and plagiarism with universities and schools worried that students are using the technology to complete assignments.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Python requests?
      ChatGPT is a mental piece of kit. Like you, I've thrown some small projects at it and it spit out a feasible solution in a few languages.
      yeah! Needed a few iterations. Like the first code it gave me didn't work as it didn't realise it wasn't directly speaking to the source code of the page (and how would it, indeed, as I reflected afterwards), but minimal additional nudging needed.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

But then you just go. "hmm, that didn't seem to work, it generated this error message", and it goes "no bother, that's probably because of XXX, lets try this instead". Just that ability to have the follow-up conversations with it, is absolutely golden.

Comment

There's a lovely throw away line related to full tilt in that article
          There's a blast from the past
          I was wondering who that was!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
            got drawn for tickets for the olympics. was so excited. i could buy 30 tickets, so i got the whole family together , marked all the sports people wanted to see, which we'd all go together, which we'd split into pairs, etc. logged on as soon as the slot opened this morning, and availability is ridiculous. most sports we wanted to see only had the most expensive seats available (anywhere between 650 to 200 euros depending on the sport) or no seats at all. what an absolute joke. what's the point of the draw? gutted
            When you win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp, you can just purchase a box for each venue. Problem solved.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

There is a guy called Eric Weinstein on the latest Rogan podcast. I have no idea if he is credible but man he spins a great fucking yarn. Give a listen between the timestamps of around 45m:00s to 1hr:11m:00s. The story mainly centers around Edward Witten who is a giant in the physics community. Here is a little story about him from another forum to give an idea of his background.

Witten is extremely impressive because he contributed so many foundational and deep ideas to the topics of string theory and quantum field theory. It's a little crazy how much of the developments in string theory can be connected to some important work by Witten. Appreciating this properly without knowing a lot about the subject is probably not easy.

From a personal perspective, the small amount that I've seen Witten in action has been very impressive. There's a number of people in the string theory community where you just quickly realize that they are on a different level from us mere mortals when you interact with them, and Witten is surely one of them, probably the most extreme case. While I was a PhD student, me, my advisor and another collaborator had been struggling with a technical mathematical problem for some months. Then at a conference, my advisor presented our previous paper, and somewhere in the talk, he briefly mentioned some of our current work. Witten was in attendance, and apparently were somewhat interested, because he approached my advisor after the talk and asked a few questions about our current work, and quickly honed in on the problem we were struggling with. Then he was silent for like a minute, before giving a short idea of how to solve it, writing down an equation on the blackboard and mentioning how it was related to a specific topological quantity. This idea (of course) turned out to be roughly correct, and we spent quite some time to understand it and work out the details for our next paper (where we thanked Witten in the acknowledgements, something that you can also see all over the place). It's extremely humbling to see someone just understand and solve something just like that, when you yourself has spent many hours over a few months struggling with it.
              So Eric tells a story involving him on the pod and even if it is nothing more than a tall tale then it is a very enjoyable one.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                There is a guy called Eric Weinstein on the latest Rogan podcast. I have no idea if he is credible but man he spins a great fucking yarn. Give a listen between the timestamps of around 45m:00s to 1hr:11m:00s. The story mainly centers around Edward Witten who is a giant in the physics community. Here is a little story about him from another forum to give an idea of his background.

So Eric tells a story involving him on the pod and even if it is nothing more than a tall tale then it is a very enjoyable one.
                How did he get hammered so fast ? it became very noticeable, did you cop that also? V interesting guy overall.
                This too shall pass.

Comment

I completely missed that Corkscrew were doing another wine fair. I hope at least Lao Lao got ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

How did he get hammered so fast ? it became very noticeable, did you cop that also? V interesting guy overall.
                    I am only a little further along from the second timestamp I posted but thought I would throw it up here as I am listening.

Comment

David Deutsch has a similar anecdote regarding his interaction with Feynman. He was a PhD student and described his theory along with his professor; Feynman turned around and wrote out the solution.
                      Deutsch mentioned Feynman on raw ability and Bohr on sheer contribution as the two who stood out to him.

Deutsch’s “Beginning of Infinity -as much as I could grasp- was fantastic. Just come away thinking how much of a higher level people are on.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

David Deutsch has a similar anecdote regarding his interaction with Feynman. He was a PhD student and described his theory along with his professor; Feynman turned around and wrote out the solution.
                        Deutsch mentioned Feynman on raw ability and Bohr on sheer contribution as the two who stood out to him.

Deutsch’s “Beginning of Infinity -as much as I could grasp- was fantastic. Just come away thinking how much of a higher level people are on.
                        I think Weinstein may think that he (Witten) is so far ahead that he has to be an alien or at least they speak through him or he has access to alien tech.

So this whole time, one of the greatest minds in terms of theoretical physics (Witten), who is directly involved in the search for quantum gravity, through his work on M-theory, is also the son of an anti-gravity researcher, who has direct links to the people involved with Lockheed Martin.
                        You can see how people fall down these conspiracy holes. They are really fun

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                          got drawn for tickets for the olympics. was so excited. i could buy 30 tickets, so i got the whole family together , marked all the sports people wanted to see, which we'd all go together, which we'd split into pairs, etc. logged on as soon as the slot opened this morning, and availability is ridiculous. most sports we wanted to see only had the most expensive seats available (anywhere between 650 to 200 euros depending on the sport) or no seats at all. what an absolute joke. what's the point of the draw? gutted
                          The good stuff for packs is unfortunately all gone Shrap.

I pinged a slot yesterday. All shite options, checked again today and no change. Herself had a slot Monday and I got the same crap.

We were lucky that future SIL gave her slot to us last week. We got the mens golf round 4 medal, mens volleyball qf and a wrestling medal session too. Unfortunately we didn't realise at the time we could build a 2nd pack with 3x new sessions and further packs once we stayed under 30 tickets total.

Fingers crossed we get a couple of decent events when individual event tickets go on sale on the 15th.

Comment

Don't want to harp on about it, but I've been working on a study today. It involves a few different languages. Latex for writing, Stata for testing, Python for data. Each and every time, stuff I've been confused about for years, ChatGPT sorts it out in a flash. Its like the best research assistant ever. So, now I'm pasting paragraphs of writing into it and saying - imagine you are a top prof in operations research (the area of study - you need to prime GPT like this with a specific role, or else it gives very general answers) - how would you phrase this writing better? Boom, its deciminating my writing. The thing that I once thought was my actual skill. No data skills, no testing skills, no writing skills, left. ChatGPT has taken over it all. Its just actual idea generation left, hopefully.

The thing is, I was just amazed about how useful it was, then I remembered I wrote a paper literally last month saying, and claiming to show, that ChatGPT was the ultimate research assistant. I just tend not to pay any attention to anything I write on the grounds that it is written by someone I know to be an idiot.
                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 03-03-23, 23:36.

Comment

The wife, who has recently taken over her old bosses job, was saying the first thing she did was switch as much as possible to chatgpt. Generating user stories, planning schedules, job pitches, budget proposals. She was using something today that voice records meetings, then you feed the recording into chatgpt, and it spits you out a summary of the meeting and the action plans decided. Said it was eerily good. Like, way better than anything she has done herself.

Comment

The issue here is where does this all end? This is a very early version of something that will get better at an incredibly rapid rate. People seem to think they are gaming the system with this well-kept secret that will increase productivity and we all live happily ever after. No, there are people out there thinking much bigger about how they can leverage ChaGPT or AI in general on a massive scale to underpin whole businesses with a minimal amount of people which will destroy the competition still using mostly human labor.

The fuckaboutery around how we will see new jobs spawn from this that we can't even imagine yet is absolute horseshit imo. There is a tipping point where AI will always do those new jobs better.
                                Last edited by Opr; 03-03-23, 23:07.

Comment

The issue here is where does this all end? This is a very early version of something that will get better at an incredibly rapid rate. People seem to think they are gaming the system with this well-kept secret that will increase productivity and we all live happily ever after. No, there are people out there thinking much bigger about how they can leverage ChaGPT or AI in general on a massive scale to underpin whole businesses with a minimal amount of people which will destroy the competition still using mostly human labor.

The fuckaboutery around how we will see new jobs spawn from this that we can't even imagine yet is absolute horseshit imo. There is a tipping point where AI will always do those new jobs better.
                                  It will absafuckinglootly do so so so many jobs better than people. Its scary. And this is just a first proper iteration, as you say. But, what do we do - it can't be banned. Or at least it would go against the essence of the human race to prevent clear and obvious progress. What we can reasonably say though is that the people most likely to benefit from it are those who get on top of it very rapidly. They'll be much more efficient, much more on top of things, much less likely to therefore be promoted to a role of 'harnesser of the tech'.

It does also suggest the case for one of my fav books of the last few years: Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World.

Comment

Now up to €2,500 bet on De Santis, to win €5,000+. Turning into a big one. He has edged out in the odds since his reelection when he was down near evens. Can't see a decent reason why that should be the case. Might try to get another €1,500 or so on, if money comes available, and leave it at that.

Comment

It will absafuckinglootly do so so so many jobs better than people. Its scary. And this is just a first proper iteration, as you say. But, what do we do - it can't be banned. Or at least it would go against the essence of the human race to prevent clear and obvious progress. What we can reasonably say though is that the people most likely to benefit from it are those who get on top of it very rapidly. They'll be much more efficient, much more on top of things, much less likely to therefore be promoted to a role of 'harnesser of the tech'.

It does also suggest the case for one of my fav books of the last few years: Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World.
                                      Slowing or curtailing progress in the area just to keep people in jobs certainly wasn't the luddite path I was looking towards. There currently though seems to be this sense that its impacts won't be that great and things will evolve and change with us all using the technology to help us do things better. That is despite the most clued-in people around AI going around shouting about how fundamentally transformative this technology is likely to be, completely reshaping the labor market.

Even if AI replaced almost all jobs overnight that doesn't need to be a bad thing. It would obviously mean a cataclysmic shift in all areas of society and it would be a complete paradigm shift at the very core of how we have existed for a very long time. I can't even begin to reimagine how you build a society in that world.

The thing is you do need to start thinking about planning for it now rather than letting it play out with mass layoffs and certain sections trying to hold onto the current status quo to keep wealth and power leading to an ever-increasing likelihood of apocalyptic type stuff.

Comment

You can say one thing with certainty- AI will not change a thing in the HSE or Irish legal profession - will not be allowed to happen
                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Potential album of the year material from Slowthai...

Just when you think the kids don't know what the fuck they're doing... it turns out they do!

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 04-03-23, 00:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                            I completely missed that Corkscrew were doing another wine fair. I hope at least Lao Lao got ticket.
                                            Yup, picked up tickets about two weeks ago. Only saw that they sold out the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                              Tickets secured for 1st Aid Kit in August .

Shurrup they are good .
                                              I'll be there too
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Had a thing I did about six weeks ago. Took photos of myself without the top, so I could do the classic before and after on the gym work. Then took photos yesterday. You never really know if you are doing anything to yourself, was my rationale for what seems like pure vanity. Anyway.

The before and after, from quite moderate exercise - few days a week 5k jog, few days a week in the gym strength training, bonus of getting drunk in turin for added vitamin_red_wine - was really quite noticeable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way 'good' now, at best ordinary, but jaysus, compared to just a month ago, its astonishing. Read on a few forums that there's never anything like the first month, but still to see it....
                                                • The slightly bulging stomach, not from being overweight but just from lack of exercise - clearly gone
                                                • Much straighter posture, despite deliberately not trying to pose for either photo - guess that's the new back muscles
                                                • Clear beginning outline of the oblex abdominals - been doing a daily routine on the abs (almost embarrassed to link to it, but this whole post is embarassing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDUk...nnel=MiDASMVMT)
                                                • Chest is still clearly weak, a bit 'sunken' in look, but its less noticeable with the stomach having brought itself in

I'm still awfully slow on the jogging, which is deliberate. Trying to keep the heart rate to around 110-130, as don't want to stress the heart. So need to slow down a fair few times during the jogs. Currently a massive 38 minutes for 5k. Aim over the next two weeks is to get that down to a still rather pathetic 30 mins. Think it'll be grand as the heart rate seems a lot more under control than, say, in January.

For strength training. I mentioned about the heart to the trainer and as a result she put me on quite light weights with quite a few reps. All around the 25kg mark aimed at back, arms, chest, 12-15 reps, 3 times. Aim is to get that up to 30kg, but no more, and maybe increase the number of times its done, rather than go any further on weight itself.

Going to keep up the diet change, not so much to reduce weight, just to switch to a lot more protein, decent sources of calories. Those protein lunches seem like the biggest freebie in healthy lifestyle changes. Way more energy.

All very positive anyway, is the main thing. What do ye think, is there something I'm missing from the above?
                                                Fair play Hitch. Well done.
                                                Honestly, strength training 2-3 times a week, and cardio 1-2 times a week covers general exercise requirements for the vast majority.
                                                You'd only need to be more specific than that if there was a specific goal or sport in mind. ie Aiming to run a marathon = more running, or to improve in a particuar sport = sport specific strength training.

Photos are a god reminder. I took some of myself in a weeks weeks ago also. Trying to be honest with the covid and multiple holiday weight gain

Comment

I think Weinstein may think that he (Witten) is so far ahead that he has to be an alien or at least they speak through him or he has access to alien tech.

You can see how people fall down these conspiracy holes. They are really fun
                                                  It’s a few years old now & more related to quantum computing but I just found Deutsch excellent if you’re interested

Does any of your work touch the area of AI or is it just personal interest?

Comment

Python requests?
                                                    ChatGPT is a mental piece of kit. Like you, I've thrown some small projects at it and it spit out a feasible solution in a few languages.
                                                    I use a program at work, a 3D BIM modelling program, that's has a plug-in called Dynamo that can run scripts on backend data and perform a simple changes.
                                                    I've a idea for a script to pull data from the back end and tabulate it into a excel matrix, this doesn't seem like a difficult task - but I don't actually know hoe to script.

How do I get ChatGPT to ahve a crack this?

Comment

I'll be there too
                                                      The missus birthday tomorrow so the ideal gift . (For me). Now lets hope she doesn't cop on to my plan and invite someone else .

Comment

The wife, who has recently taken over her old bosses job, was saying the first thing she did was switch as much as possible to chatgpt. Generating user stories, planning schedules, job pitches, budget proposals. She was using something today that voice records meetings, then you feed the recording into chatgpt, and it spits you out a summary of the meeting and the action plans decided. Said it was eerily good. Like, way better than anything she has done herself.

I got it to write a few short stories and they were fairly basic.

Got it to compose an introductory marketing email and it was well worded and decent enough but just sounded generic and a bit too slick.
                                                        Also got it to write a letter to an author and I did one too.(mine was better)
                                                        Again it was bland and generic.

Summarising data it would be perfect for.

​I know nothing about coding but asked it write a few lines and if Chatgpts have emotions it seemed excited at the prospect!

​​​​​​

Comment

The missus birthday tomorrow so the ideal gift . (For me). Now lets hope she doesn't cop on to my plan and invite someone else .

Comment

I got it to write a few short stories and they were fairly basic.

Got it to compose an introductory marketing email and it was well worded and decent enough but just sounded generic and a bit too slick.
                                                            Also got it to write a letter to an author and I did one too.(mine was better)
                                                            Again it was bland and generic.

Summarising data it would be perfect for.

​I know nothing about coding but asked it write a few lines and if Chatgpts have emotions it seemed excited at the prospect!

Edit It probably wouldn't use "got it" 3 times in one post

Edit 2
                                                            This post accredited to ChatGpt
                                                            ​​​​​​

Comment

I sniffed around using GPT for some of the painful stuff I need for upcoming grants like impact statements and data management plans and unfortunately it was absolutely useless. Any time I've used it to date, it perfectly emulates a bad student, where they write down everything they know about the subject on the page, but in no way answer the actual question that was asked.

I'm also kind of left wondering whether, if a piece of text can be adequately generated by it, did the piece of text have any value to the reader in the first place. Obviously 90% of administrative text generated by the academic system is completely valueless in the first place, so it will fit right in there, I suppose.

Comment

Bertie's chances hinge quite a bit on the other potential candidates for the post. While largely ceremonial, i'd probably rather him in the office rather than Dana for example

Comment

Just tried the ChatGPT thing to see what all the fuss was about. Amazed. Like the Oracle of Delphi on peds.
                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                    I sniffed around using GPT for some of the painful stuff I need for upcoming grants like impact statements and data management plans and unfortunately it was absolutely useless. Any time I've used it to date, it perfectly emulates a bad student, where they write down everything they know about the subject on the page, but in no way answer the actual question that was asked.

I'm also kind of left wondering whether, if a piece of text can be adequately generated by it, did the piece of text have any value to the reader in the first place. Obviously 90% of administrative text generated by the academic system is completely valueless in the first place, so it will fit right in there, I suppose.
                                                                    but ... if you fine-tuned it with a range of successful past grants it would probably perform amazing. The fine-tuning is the key to getting really good specific outcomes, as it is, at its heart, a generic generator until instructed otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I use a program at work, a 3D BIM modelling program, that's has a plug-in called Dynamo that can run scripts on backend data and perform a simple changes.
                                                                      I've a idea for a script to pull data from the back end and tabulate it into a excel matrix, this doesn't seem like a difficult task - but I don't actually know hoe to script.

How do I get ChatGPT to ahve a crack this?
                                                                      I'd start by just 'asking it'. Ideally then run it on a test machine to see if it does what you want it to do. Sometimes you find you need to iterate to a decent outcome. E.g. point out to it that the machine is generating an error when you run that code, give it the error code, and it can normally then fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Like a bad student, you can ask it to do better.

It's all about the prompts and training.

It's useless at maths/physics though.

Comment

Simple example here:

I gave it this text, with the following prompt.

Imagine you are a senior Professor in Operations Research. You are writing an article aimed at publication in a top operations research journal. What follows is Part 1 of the introduction. I will paste Part 2 later. Can you look at this and see how you might improve the readability and flow of the writing:

I had written:

SPOILER

Citations to a research study are fundamentally driven by the extent to which subsequent researchers find the study to contribute to their research investigations. Our study takes the presumed subject-level contribution of a research article as a given, and examines the additional role that style can play in explaining the variation in citations to articles. By style, we mean the structure, writing, and design decisions made in constructing an article.

We focus only on AOR articles, meaning that all articles have been judged for acceptance along broadly similar criteria. The average AOR article in our dataset has eight citations in the three years after publication. However, the citations distribution across articles is highly skewed. The median figure is lower at four citations, with the bottom 25 percent of articles reaching no more than two citations over the three years following publication. On the other side, the top decile of most-cited articles are responsible for about 40 percent of all citations, while the top 30 percent deliver about 70 percent of all citations.

Our perspective in this study is that style matters in citation impact, in addition to the ‘substance’ that is the fundamental investigation of a contributing research question. We note that this is not a new perspective in operations research. Brown (2004) wrote about the importance of style in operations research communication almost two decades ago. He recommended a range of, what would still today be considered, best practice approaches in operations research writing style. These recommendations include the need for titles to be descriptive, for abstracts to be
                                                                          clear about the purpose of the study and avoid jargon, and for choosing references carefully to build suitable arguments.

Mingers and Xu (2010) take a more technical approach to understanding whether style drivers, among other factors, influence citations in operations research. They select 696 articles across six operations journals and show that factors such as the journal itself, and the type of article (e.g. empirical vs theoretical), are strong drivers of future citations. They also show that some style factors, including article length, number of references, title length, and author characteristics, are related to future citations. Our study is situated in the general quantitative perspective adopted by Mingers and Xu (2010) but takes advantage of modern data science quantitative and textual analysis techniques to significantly expand the measurement of style drivers.

Then, told it to improve it. Its vastly better as you see below. So, you could imagine writing a rough draft of a proposal and asking it to improve what you've written.

SPOILER
                                                                          Citations to a research study are driven by the extent to which subsequent researchers find the study useful for their own investigations. However, in addition to the substance of a research question, we argue that style can also play a role in explaining the variation in citations to articles. By style, we mean the structure, writing, and design decisions made in constructing an article.

In this study, we focus on AOR articles, which have been judged for acceptance along broadly similar criteria. We found that the average AOR article in our dataset has eight citations in the three years after publication, but the citations distribution is highly skewed. The median figure is lower at four citations, with the bottom 25 percent of articles reaching no more than two citations over the three years following publication. On the other hand, the top decile of most-cited articles are responsible for about 40 percent of all citations, while the top 30 percent deliver about 70 percent of all citations.

Our perspective on this study is not new in operations research. Almost two decades ago, Brown (2004) wrote about the importance of style in operations research communication and recommended best practice approaches in operations research writing style. These recommendations include the need for descriptive titles, clear abstracts that avoid jargon, and carefully chosen references to build suitable arguments.

Mingers and Lipitakis (2010) took a more technical approach to understanding the influence of style drivers, among other factors, on citations in operations research. They found that some style factors, such as article length, number of references, title length, and author characteristics, are related to future citations. Our study builds on their work and uses modern data science quantitative and textual analysis techniques to significantly expand the measurement of style drivers.

Won't use the generated text directly, just to get a sense of the parts where I'm clearly in need of help.

Comment

Simple example here:

I gave it this text, with the following prompt.

I had written:

SPOILER

Citations to a research study are fundamentally driven by the extent to which subsequent researchers find the study to contribute to their research investigations. Our study takes the presumed subject-level contribution of a research article as a given, and examines the additional role that style can play in explaining the variation in citations to articles. By style, we mean the structure, writing, and design decisions made in constructing an article.

We focus only on AOR articles, meaning that all articles have been judged for acceptance along broadly similar criteria. The average AOR article in our dataset has eight citations in the three years after publication. However, the citations distribution across articles is highly skewed. The median figure is lower at four citations, with the bottom 25 percent of articles reaching no more than two citations over the three years following publication. On the other side, the top decile of most-cited articles are responsible for about 40 percent of all citations, while the top 30 percent deliver about 70 percent of all citations.

Our perspective in this study is that style matters in citation impact, in addition to the ‘substance’ that is the fundamental investigation of a contributing research question. We note that this is not a new perspective in operations research. Brown (2004) wrote about the importance of style in operations research communication almost two decades ago. He recommended a range of, what would still today be considered, best practice approaches in operations research writing style. These recommendations include the need for titles to be descriptive, for abstracts to be
                                                                            clear about the purpose of the study and avoid jargon, and for choosing references carefully to build suitable arguments.

Mingers and Xu (2010) take a more technical approach to understanding whether style drivers, among other factors, influence citations in operations research. They select 696 articles across six operations journals and show that factors such as the journal itself, and the type of article (e.g. empirical vs theoretical), are strong drivers of future citations. They also show that some style factors, including article length, number of references, title length, and author characteristics, are related to future citations. Our study is situated in the general quantitative perspective adopted by Mingers and Xu (2010) but takes advantage of modern data science quantitative and textual analysis techniques to significantly expand the measurement of style drivers.

Then, told it to improve it. Its vastly better as you see below. So, you could imagine writing a rough draft of a proposal and asking it to improve what you've written.

SPOILER
                                                                            Citations to a research study are driven by the extent to which subsequent researchers find the study useful for their own investigations. However, in addition to the substance of a research question, we argue that style can also play a role in explaining the variation in citations to articles. By style, we mean the structure, writing, and design decisions made in constructing an article.

In this study, we focus on AOR articles, which have been judged for acceptance along broadly similar criteria. We found that the average AOR article in our dataset has eight citations in the three years after publication, but the citations distribution is highly skewed. The median figure is lower at four citations, with the bottom 25 percent of articles reaching no more than two citations over the three years following publication. On the other hand, the top decile of most-cited articles are responsible for about 40 percent of all citations, while the top 30 percent deliver about 70 percent of all citations.

Our perspective on this study is not new in operations research. Almost two decades ago, Brown (2004) wrote about the importance of style in operations research communication and recommended best practice approaches in operations research writing style. These recommendations include the need for descriptive titles, clear abstracts that avoid jargon, and carefully chosen references to build suitable arguments.

Mingers and Lipitakis (2010) took a more technical approach to understanding the influence of style drivers, among other factors, on citations in operations research. They found that some style factors, such as article length, number of references, title length, and author characteristics, are related to future citations. Our study builds on their work and uses modern data science quantitative and textual analysis techniques to significantly expand the measurement of style drivers.

Won't use the generated text directly, just to get a sense of the parts where I'm clearly in need of help.
                                                                            You wouldn't be the first academic to need a good editor

As George Orwell said:
                                                                            • Never use a long word where a short one will do.
                                                                            • If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
                                                                            • Never use the passive where you can use the active.
                                                                            I've been using writer.com for the last year or so and while I was sceptical at the beginning I was quickly won round and find it very handy at mopping up basic errors and keeping my team mindful of what they're saying and how they say it.

Hopefully starting a new job soon and plan to task one of the team (probably the copywriter) with becoming the internal ChatGPT expert but from everything I've gleaned so far I'd expect that it is still only as good as the people managing it.

And while I disagree with Emily Bell in this article - A fake news frenzy: why ChatGPT could be disastrous for truth in journalism - that it needs to be regulated I do agree that it has 'no commitment to truth' and is far from being a panacea for all our research and writing ills!

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1731863&d=1677941164&type=thumb Ah here.
                                                                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                                              Last edited by Solksjaer!; 04-03-23, 15:46.

Comment

A small part of my job is writing press releases, perhaps two or three monthly. I've no doubt that ChatGPT could do this part of my job to the required standard very easily, given 10 old press releases and a bit of follow up fine tuning!

Comment

Am down in the pub roaring 'C'mon Dublin'

Wtf has happened me.
                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                    A small part of my job is writing press releases, perhaps two or three monthly. I've no doubt that ChatGPT could do this part of my job to the required standard very easily, given 10 old press releases and a bit of follow up fine tuning!
                                                                                    I'll definitely be testing this in the not too distant future.

Based on the 'write fast, edit slowly' principle I'd guess ChatGPT might save 30 mins per press release maybe?

Given that the finessing/nuancing after first draft is generally where the real effort and skill is required, particularly if you have to get input and/or sign off from stakeholders and have competing opinions in play.
                                                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 04-03-23, 18:46.

Comment

I will deffo be utilising this chat GPT yoke for a best man speech I have to give in 3 weeks.

Anyone any tips ? The fear is beginning....
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Wtf has happened me.
                                                                                        Does Mrs Laz know about this infatuation?

Could be just a natural reaction to the overwhelming preponderence of females in your household.
                                                                                        Or something else.
                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Who knew it was going to take a kid playing bagpipes to sort out Freebird

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I will deffo be utilising this chat GPT yoke for a best man speech I have to give in 3 weeks.

Don't re-invent the wheel. Keep it simple...

Best Man Speech Structure: Examples and Ideas

Comment

Wtf has happened me.
                                                                                              Thought you'd be in Derry roaring you boys in blue with the ladz

Comment

Came across a poker streamer on YT a few weeks ago who plays 1/2 Zoom mostly and his shtick is generally being obnoxious and permanently tilted which can be entertaining. He had some deal with America's Card Room and they set a challenge for all of their streamers with the winner getting 100k worth of buyins at the Triton high roller series in Vietnam. Yer man won the package and with a previous maximum buyin of €1200, he went on to beat one of the 6-max cash all time crushers heads up in a 20k tournament for $400k today. Nice run!

Comment

Weazel 1991?

The algorithm reduces us all to the same "content".

I've watched all his videos, they're like poker Musak when you're tired / brain running at 20%

Comment

You'll be grand, by the time it gets to your turn most of your speech will have been used already so just wing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Does Mrs Laz know about this infatuation?

Could be just a natural reaction to the overwhelming preponderence of females in your household.
                                                                                                      Or something else.
                                                                                                      Of course she knows, I managed to slope off to the local on a Saturday afternoon didn't I.

'Would you mind if I disappeared for an hour and a half at five o clock, me m8 is on the telly and want to have a pint and watch him'

'Go on then ffs'

Wouldn't get to slope off if it wasn't for the super Dubs.

Comment

Chat G bleedin T can't automate your window blinds like I can..

Fuck him, there'll be a turkey in my gaff every Xmas

Comment

Lazare has finally found Jesus. You heard it here 1st.

Comment

Wtf has happened me.
                                                                                                            Scenes in the HiFi household as HiFi jr - a true blue 7-yo Dub who scored 2 goals for St.Jude's at the hurling this morning - got his first sport roasting from his Derry-supporting da.

Comment

Lazare has finally found Jesus. You heard it here 1st.
                                                                                                              Jaysus, no.

Comment

already fearful of the shite music he will post later on

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Scenes in the HiFi household as HiFi jr - a true blue 7-yo Dub who scored 2 goals for St.Jude's at the hurling this morning - got his first sport roasting from his Derry-supporting da.
                                                                                                                  Was a great game (from my inexperienced pov). Mad how they (Dubs) can come out and play like that when they're underdogs yet play shit and force squeaky bum time against Clare.

Psychology innit.

Look at me talkin about Gaa.

Comment

Was he playing BBSE?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Was he playing BBSE?
                                                                                                                      Pitch 7, Tymon Park right?

No. He was in the group after that starting at 11.

Vs Ballinteer St. John's.

Were you there? I've no doubt we'll be up against BBSE in the coming weeks.

Comment

Pitch 7, Tymon Park right?

No. He was in the group after that starting at 11.

Vs Ballinteer St. John's.

Were you there? I've no doubt we'll be up against BBSE in the coming weeks.
                                                                                                                        Would have been if i wasnt still stuck in this zoo

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Would have been if i wasnt still stuck in this zoo
                                                                                                                          Ah shit... of course. Damn. Sorry to hear that.

Well I applaud your resilience in the face of the collapsing catastrophe that is 1) age 2) the health service.

Will keep an eye on fixtures and give you a shout if it looks like we might be at the same game.

Get better soon!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X