This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - It's the end of the world as we know it

New BBV thread. Feet off the table, etc.

hi

Comment

And I feel fine!

Comment

Shiny

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy
          Anybody follow Brad Owen's vlogs on YouTube. Recently wrapped up 2022 where he had his best ever year (think it was over 200k) thanks to reasonable cash results and over 100k in tournament scores. Been playing high stakes cash this week at the club in Texas where he's part owner and looks like he's down about 300k, including shoving 37k (at 50/100/200) over a limp-cold 4bet with 72o last night. Seems like he's kind of lost the plot. Upcoming vlogs will be interesting!
          I find his popularity completely head-scratching. His videos always seemed quite boring with the same format over and over while he drones on in his monotone voice describing hand after hand while looking like he takes zero enjoyment out of playing poker. Even the games before his recent escapades were generally quite low-staked and his style of play is a boring nit reg. Yet he crushes compared to the field in youtube views. I think he does nearly a million views a video these days? That is insane for a poker vlog. Jaman Burton whose vlogs I think are far far better is lucky to get 10k views a video which is the standard for most of the others apart from Rampage.

He'll be alright though. Rampage showed his earning for the year on a recent video and from youtube views alone he pulled 200k last year and Brad is doing far better numbers than him so from youtube views alone I would say Brad is doing 400k+. He sells merch, has a WPT partnership, and lodge ownership among a host of other stuff. If he can afford it he'd be mad not to shot taking these games given how soft they are. His current losses are only a couple of buy-ins for the current sakes he is playing.
          Last edited by Opr; 23-02-23, 13:46.

Comment

zuutroy I watch Brad Owen's stuff from time to time, the same with Andrew Neeme. It's all fun and games moving up the ranks. Then you end up in a proper shark tank with massive gambling/swings and few whales or tourists willing to donate. That scenario 72o you described seems like serious headworms. Seems like a sound fella though and I believe he must have some backing/staking for the big buy-ins. It's slightly different to the meet-up games at 2/5NL and drinking beers with subscribers. I like the lads' video styles but Neeme would be a little more polished. They're both decent enough from a decision or theory perspective without being too heavy for the general punter.

ATTENTION - OLYMPICS FANS!
            The future sister-in-law got a link or slot for buying tickets, it's a 2-hour window on Saturday I believe. I didn't get one but I'm curious if anyone else has received an email on it. Hopefully I bink a slot myself.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
              zuutroy I watch Brad Owen's stuff from time to time, the same with Andrew Neeme. It's all fun and games moving up the ranks. Then you end up in a proper shark tank with massive gambling/swings and few whales or tourists willing to donate. That scenario 72o you described seems like serious headworms. Seems like a sound fella though and I believe he must have some backing/staking for the big buy-ins. It's slightly different to the meet-up games at 2/5NL and drinking beers with subscribers. I like the lads' video styles but Neeme would be a little more polished. They're both decent enough from a decision or theory perspective without being too heavy for the general punter.

ATTENTION - OLYMPICS FANS!
              The future sister-in-law got a link or slot for buying tickets, it's a 2-hour window on Saturday I believe. I didn't get one but I'm curious if anyone else has received an email on it. Hopefully I bink a slot myself.
              Still not received one either. for everyone who put themselves in the draw, they're picked at random between 13th feb and 15th march, so still plenty of time

Comment

re brad https://old.reddit.com/r/poker/comme...e_live_stream/
                Sounds like he was leaned on to join in. Doubt he has much ownership of that place, just a marketing thing.
                I watched some of his videos, he's witty so people like it.

Comment

They have the majority share in it between them. They were originally going to setup their own room in Texas before deciding to invest in the lodge.

Owen told PokerNews: "The group that I'm involved in, which includes Doug and Andrew, owns the majority."

Comment

I don't know who owns what but that doesn't really say anything, doug could have 50% and him 1% and it be true.

Comment

Could be but my take is that they had a fairly equal partnership but who knows.

Jesus the hand is even worse than I imagined reading zuutroy post, he jammed over a limp 4-bet with the 7,2 and they weren't even playing the 7-2 game

Comment

Ship the Masters Sunday tickets

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                          Ship the Masters Sunday tickets
                          Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you can afford to buy full Augusta membership.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Alex Kulev & Dan Wilson on the feature table of the EPT now. Mentioned Kulev before but strong case for him being the best player based in Ireland.

Comment

Read a little bit of the Reddit thread and one point made was what awful value he is as a personality on stream, which is very true. Sits there looking like he's just been delivered disastrous news for hours on end. Him and Neeme as your stream poster boys is a bad proposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Jesus the hand is even worse than I imagined reading zuutroy post, he jammed over a limp 4-bet with the 7,2 and they weren't even playing the 7-2 game

I remember one of the SE regs getting it in with AA in the same manner for all the loots. Only difference was we were playing the 72 game.

Flop came 77x. Poor fella handled it quite well I thought.
                                Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 23-02-23, 19:55.

Comment

One of the comments was saying he was on a losing streak 12/13.
                                  He normally takes a bit more time with his play, pure spew looks like. Wheels coming off at these stakes can end a career pretty quick.

Comment

I've been motivated by all this poker talk to make a small deposit and play a few hands.

Literally my second hand, get it all in with the second nuts and run into the nuts. Played it quite well I might add. Stupid game.

Comment

coillcam and shrapnel

​​​​​​​Can I get a bit more info as to how to enter this draw lads.
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Apprentice
                                        SPOILER
                                        Simba turning into a bit of a star, think Hitch called it a few weeks ago.
                                        Avi is completely gormless, absolutely clueless. Blessed how often he on the winning team without making a contribution.
                                        I loved his "for me, profit equal revenue minus cost" comment as if he was imparting sacred knowledge.
                                        Firing of Mark was probably correct but Dani could really have been thrown in for a double as well.
                                        Best ep of the series.

Btw, the caterers seem to get way with murder on these tasks, charge top dollar for food and all the contestants get given is the ingredients and cooking instructions.

Comment

Raoul Duke III report card on the war. I only read the article it was shared in & summary but the full thing is probably something you’d read through.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                            Raoul Duke III report card on the war. I only read the article it was shared in & summary but the full thing is probably something you’d read through.
                                            I don't like the term 'report card' but there's some great analysis in there.

Comment

It is amazing to see what the strategic impacts of the war have been - all pretty much the exact opposite of what Mad Vlad intended.
                                              • Near total unity of the Western powers behind Ukraine
                                              • Russia reviled while Zelensky is the most admired man in the world
                                              • The EU has turned into a superpower. 70 years of German military doctrine turned on its head.
                                              • Finland and Sweden are in the process of joining NATO
                                              • Russia frozen out of the world economy
                                              • Russia's main export markets for its oil and gas completely shut off
                                              • Russia's only declared allies are North Korea, Syria, Iran and Eritrea (judged by UN votes)
                                              • Well north of 100,000 Russian soldiers killed
                                              • The Russian army outfought and defeated by a far smaller foe
                                              • The flagship of the Black Sea fleet sunk by a country that doesn't even have a navy
                                              • Russia exposed as a fascist state (Bucha, Irpin, Mariupol and a hundred other towns bear witness)
                                              • Increased repression and thought control at home
                                              • No prospect of conventional victory
                                              • Etc
                                              Not much sign of strategic genius at play there...

Comment

While the above makes sense, one thing you said sticks out to me. The north of 100k lives lost.
                                                The piece made a good point regarding the reporting in Western media on the state of the Ukrainian situation on the ground.
                                                They reported approx 130k Russian soldiers lost along with 25 civilians. Ukraine appear to have lost a similar amount of soldiers along over 7,000 civilians and over 13m people displaced.

The narrative from a Ukrainian perspective tends to be quite rosy in Western media. It gave 3 numbers for Ukraine; 20% loss of territory (inc Crimea), 33% drop in GDP, 40% of energy infrastructure either occupied or destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                  While the above makes sense, one thing you said sticks out to me. The north of 100k lives lost.
                                                  The piece made a good point regarding the reporting in Western media on the state of the Ukrainian situation on the ground.
                                                  They reported approx 130k Russian soldiers lost along with 25 civilians. Ukraine appear to have lost a similar amount of soldiers along over 7,000 civilians and over 13m people displaced.

The narrative from a Ukrainian perspective tends to be quite rosy in Western media. It gave 3 numbers for Ukraine; 20% loss of territory (inc Crimea), 33% drop in GDP, 40% of energy infrastructure either occupied or destroyed.
                                                  It is rosy. They have, in the face of overwhelming odds, fought off an invader who is intent on destroying their very country and identity.

Imagine what would be happening right now if the Ukrainian resistance had crumbled a year ago. How many Buchas would there be?

They are fighting for their existence. And winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                    coillcam and shrapnel

Can I get a bit more info as to how to enter this draw lads.
                                                    sign up on paris 2024. you've missed the first window of draws but there'll be others

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

sign up on paris 2024. you've missed the first window of draws but there'll be others
                                                      The dearly departed KevIRL got tickets for the golf at the Olympics next year.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

That's not really impressive in a week when New Approach got the Augusta Sunday tickets.
                                                        Next step would be me winning a Padraig Harrington polo-neck in the Dunnes Value Card raffle.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                          Read a little bit of the Reddit thread and one point made was what awful value he is as a personality on stream, which is very true. Sits there looking like he's just been delivered disastrous news for hours on end. Him and Neeme as your stream poster boys is a bad proposition.
                                                          Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                          re brad https://old.reddit.com/r/poker/comme...e_live_stream/
                                                          Sounds like he was leaned on to join in. Doubt he has much ownership of that place, just a marketing thing.
                                                          I watched some of his videos, he's witty so people like it.
                                                          100% they are not the traditional ideal live stream personalities at all. They've no chirpiness, trash-talk or quirks. Plus they play relatively solid or boring for TV/streams (72o hand seems very exceptional). However, they ARE notable youtube/influencers with a decent following and their own content is quite good imo. Sponsors have definitely been trying to catch a piece of the influencer audience so they will get a nice push. Particularly younger demographics who missed the online boom and obviously women are always a big target (Alexandra Botez getting a nice push there too).

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                          One of the comments was saying he was on a losing streak 12/13.
                                                          He normally takes a bit more time with his play, pure spew looks like. Wheels coming off at these stakes can end a career pretty quick.
                                                          I don't watch these regularly tbf but I guess we don't know the table dynamics and history in play. Still, it does look bananas. Maybe he's investing in cultivating a lunatic spew image for bigger stakes

Comment

did he actually choose to go to the golf or those were the tickets available to him? just seems such an unolympic sport to chose to go to (imo). it's also a hell of a trek from Paris to get to

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

did he actually choose to go to the golf or those were the tickets available to him? just seems such an unolympic sport to chose to go to (imo). it's also a hell of a trek from Paris to get to
                                                              No idea. He said he got them, I didn't dig deeper than that.

Comment

We should get one of these for Orwell Road.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                  It is amazing to see what the strategic impacts of the war have been - all pretty much the exact opposite of what Mad Vlad intended.
                                                                  • The EU has turned into a superpower. 70 years of German military doctrine turned on its head.
                                                                  • Russia's only declared allies are North Korea, Syria, Iran and Eritrea (judged by UN votes)
                                                                  • The flagship of the Black Sea fleet sunk by a country that doesn't even have a navy
                                                                  • Russia exposed as a fascist state (Bucha, Irpin, Mariupol and a hundred other towns bear witness)
                                                                  • Etc
                                                                  Yeah but apart from all that it’s going pretty well for Putin

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post

Yeah but apart from all that it’s going pretty well for Putin
                                                                    It's going great. And if anyone says otherwise, they will be having an encounter with an open window.

Comment

I came out of the Olympics lottery on the 15th. Nearly everything was still available at that stage. Gymnastics was the only one I couldn’t get.

Going to the Swimming, Athletics & em the Beach Volleyball. Picked the last one for the venue more than the costumes…

147F7446-15A7-4C07-8BE3-613619DDC533.jpeg

Comment

Happened to be scrolling through emails there to see I'd overlooked a spammy looking one from 3 weeks ago that was in fact notification of cancellation of my Vegas flights for June

Serious head wreck of a morning between lastminute.com, AA, BA, and Aer Lingus to figure out who was at fault. Looks like it was Aer Lingus as their flight to LHR switched to unconfirmed in the travel agent back-end despite me being able to book it on their website. Think I have it sorted now.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                          Happened to be scrolling through emails there to see I'd overlooked a spammy looking one from 3 weeks ago that was in fact notification of cancellation of my Vegas flights for June

Serious head wreck of a morning between lastminute.com, AA, BA, and Aer Lingus to figure out who was at fault. Looks like it was Aer Lingus as their flight to LHR switched to unconfirmed in the travel agent back-end despite me being able to book it on their website. Think I have it sorted now.
                                                                          The humblest of brags.

Comment

Fundalk Friday

Well Suited 6.00
                                                                            Power Drive 7.00
                                                                            2singles and an ew double might pay towards entering the Cheltenham Ipb 2023 race fest

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                                              Fundalk Friday

Well Suited 6.00
                                                                              Power Drive 7.00
                                                                              2singles and an ew double might pay towards entering the Cheltenham Ipb 2023 race fest
                                                                              I'm rooting for you

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I'm rooting for you
                                                                                Great to have back up on a chilly Friday

Comment

#41
                                                                                  New BBV thread. Feet off the table, etc.
                                                                                  Ah FFS!

You might have told us
                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

#42
                                                                                    This is a fun little game

Play the online game that tests your knowledge of pop culture and history. Simple and fun. Try to guess the year a picture was taken.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Ah FFS!

You might have told us
                                                                                      yep...
                                                                                      Was thinking it was awful quiet
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Lazare check yo Pm's
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

#45

Ah FFS!

You might have told us
                                                                                          I did! The personal PM service is not being offered at this point however. It may be part of a future premium offering. Watch this space for exciting new developments!

Comment

#46

I did! The personal PM service is not being offered at this point however. It may be part of a future premium offering. Watch this space for exciting new developments!
                                                                                            I know it's a boringly conventional idea, but have you considered mentioning the new thread on the last post of the old thread, maybe even a re-direct link?

Comment

#47
                                                                                              • Etc
                                                                                              i mostly agree with the sentiment, but the EU has moved from being dependent on Russian gas to being dependent on US gas, this is an improvement no doubt, but a superpower would be working on energy independence, not changing patrons, there's still no sign of an EU army and every country vastly underspends on defence

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Who's moved my cheese?

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  A T Rex and a Velociraptor walk into a bar and order drinks.
                                                                                                  The bartender serves a Brontosaurus before them. The T Rex angrily asks the Velociraptor, ”Why did he get served first?” The Velociraptor says, “Oh relax, he was herbivorous.“

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Hmm was lost for a day, anyhoo cant play poker this weejend due to Pep Guardiola stuff but shall hit Regency in exactly one hour for pints and craic, anyone about?

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      The New Electric Ballroom in the Gate is an oldie but a goodie. The last 30 mins or so are, well, electric.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        This is a fun little game

https://www.chronophoto.app/game.html
                                                                                                        2834 points. Got the first one bang on then was within 8 yrs of each

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                          Lazare check yo Pm's
                                                                                                          Cheers man, made me spot I had one from Ole, from a bleedin month ago.

Dom, is it possible to get email notifs when you get a pm?

I don't venture outside this thread usually, very easy to miss someone sending you a pm.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            I have to say it's been pretty spot on of UEFA to arrange for United to play in Spain once every few months since I moved here, takes away some of the disappointment of giving up my season tickets. Seen them in Valencia, Barcelona, San Sebastian and Madrid and now off to Seville for the next one in a couple of weeks.

Betis match is a bit of a pain though as I had already arranged a trip that week so I'm now going

Valencia - Malaga for a day trip
                                                                                                            Malaga - Granada for 2 days
                                                                                                            Granada - Seville for an overnight for the match
                                                                                                            Seville - Granada for 3 more days then back to Valencia.

technically could have done the granada-seville in one day and come back on the late night bus but might as well stay over and enjoy a night in Seville given that the match is on early at 18:45

A whistle stop tour of southern Spain.

Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Hectorjelly care to share a trip report about Mexico city when you get a few spare minutes? Think we're going to do a few months in BA this year and we're debating a month or two somewhere else along the way. Mexico city is on a shortlist but nothing confirmed.
                                                                                                              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Surprised to see Muhammad is the most popular boys name in Galway City. Suppose it's better than being another Jack.

Fpu9NpsXwAABJ9H?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
                                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                                  I have to say it's been pretty spot on of UEFA to arrange for United to play in Spain once every few months since I moved here, takes away some of the disappointment of giving up my season tickets. Seen them in Valencia, Barcelona, San Sebastian and Madrid and now off to Seville for the next one in a couple of weeks.

Betis match is a bit of a pain though as I had already arranged a trip that week so I'm now going

Valencia - Malaga for a day trip
                                                                                                                  Malaga - Granada for 2 days
                                                                                                                  Granada - Seville for an overnight for the match
                                                                                                                  Seville - Granada for 3 more days then back to Valencia.

technically could have done the granada-seville in one day and come back on the late night bus but might as well stay over and enjoy a night in Seville given that the match is on early at 18:45

A whistle stop tour of southern Spain.
                                                                                                                  I'd not be unhappy to see Newcastle win tomorrow. They are due .

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                    Surprised to see Muhammad is the most popular boys name in Galway City. Suppose it's better than being another Jack.

Fpu9NpsXwAABJ9H?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
                                                                                                                    Jack & Noah WHY PEOPLE WHY?

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Well, this is certainly entertaining.

Much more fun than watching England or France kick incessantly.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Well, this is certainly entertaining.

Much more fun than watching England or France kick incessantly.
                                                                                                                        Hopefully Italy will get the result they deserve against the Scots.

I was supposed to be going today with No.1 Son and No.1 Granddaughter but actually organising the the trip got away from me. They are having a great day.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X