This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Need a more discerning upmarket offering where you can choose which live animal to get it from for the real "from scratch" experience.

199bcdc1df4de1d1e888b54794b48700.jpg
    The Vegans would hang you up high with the very belt you ordered around your neck.

Comment

Is anyone else listening to "The Witch Trials of J.K. Rowling"? I am only three episodes deep and it has yet to really touch on the trans stuff. It does feel like a curated puff piece at times given the interviewer that was chosen and the way she comes across but finding it really interesting overall so far mainly cause I knew very little about her and the story behind her road to writing and getting the first Potter book published is crazy.

Comment

Comment

That can only end well for Mick Wallace... right?
          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
            That can only end well for Mick Wallace... right?
            It's quite the coup for him tbf. I'd wager a huge % of that audience have no fucking clue who he is
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

It will be interesting. Most politicians avoid giving him interviews these days. This poor lad got destroyed last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                It will be interesting. Most politicians avoid giving him interviews these days. This poor lad got destroyed last week.

This looks to be the subject matter of the episode, so I expect a reaming for Wallace and Daly
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Just listened to the entire pod you linked above he did with Ian. It is only 45 minutes. I wish they had gone on longer and covered more topics. It is such a lovely change of pace listening to such reasonable people having a sensible conversation around such highly charged subjects.

Comment

That just seems insane. A crossover I never expected to ever see.

Comment

Snowing in Sandymount, woo woo.

If weather has a hand range snow would be suited connectors.
                      Not really good but so pretty you'll play it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                        Snowing in Sandymount, woo woo.

If weather has a hand range snow would be suited connectors.
                        Not really good but so pretty you'll play it.
                        Have you stocked up on bread?
                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Is anyone else listening to "The Witch Trials of J.K. Rowling"? I am only three episodes deep and it has yet to really touch on the trans stuff. It does feel like a curated puff piece at times given the interviewer that was chosen and the way she comes across but finding it really interesting overall so far mainly cause I knew very little about her and the story behind her road to writing and getting the first Potter book published is crazy.
                          Haven't read it, but do feel highly uneasy about conflating opinions about Harry Potter with opinions about JK Rowling. Harry Potter is just a timeless piece of kids books genius. Don't really get what that has to do with her turning weird afterwards. There seems to be something odd about transgenderism in specific that turns people against it into absolute nutjobs. Don't really get it, mainly as I'm afraid to read too much on it in case I get infected with nutjobism. The simple rule of just letting people get on with their thing seems most appropriate.
                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Just dispatched.
                            So clearly not made from scratch (Equus used to take 8-12 weeks).
                            surely the only reason you've have to make a belt from scratch is if you have poor organisational skills - you know you'll be selling belts, make the freakin belts in advance.

Had to use a screwdriver and hammer to make a new hole in my belt today due to the tragedy of losing my glorious belly. Made the whole from the inside out, which was a mistake as then meant there were bits of the inside stuff on the outside and it looked - to a discerning eye - like someone had used a screwdriver and hammer to make a new hole in their belt. Then remembered the kids have five million markers (never used, stopping giving the kids markers people!) and was able to colour in the straggly bits to look natural. Then popped into trinner for winners to teach their phds how to be a successful well-belted prof like myself when they grow up.

I saw this mainly to note that I also take belt-altering orders in case your supplier lets you down in terms of sizing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Haven't read it, but do feel highly uneasy about conflating opinions about Harry Potter with opinions about JK Rowling. Harry Potter is just a timeless piece of kids books genius. Don't really get what that has to do with her turning weird afterwards. There seems to be something odd about transgenderism in specific that turns people against it into absolute nutjobs. Don't really get it, mainly as I'm afraid to read too much on it in case I get infected with nutjobism. The simple rule of just letting people get on with their thing seems most appropriate.
                              I'm team Jk . Disagree with the nutjob comment . She has an opinion on it and the hounding of her means she has to defend her opinion , rinse repeat.

Glad i'm not in the pubic eye (pun intended)

Comment

Had lunch with the bro in Carved in Grand Canal Dock. Anyone been there? Epic sandwiches, with a well-justifed queue all the way down the road for the whole lunchbreak.

Comment

Confirmed nutjobs:

1. JK
                                  2. solks

Comment

Confirmed nutjobs:

1. JK
                                    2. solks
                                    No. 2 is correct , too much evidence to back it up.

Comment

Nice limited hangout in the New York Times re nordstream bombings- it was the plucky Ukrainians with no help from Uncle Sam and no government support
                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I see the lab leak “conspiracy “ still has legs too
                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

We were ready to go on an attic conversion but there’s been a slight delay. We’re in no crazy rush, any time before summer will be fine.

In an effort to avoid losing any space in the “box room”, we decided to put in a custom stairs that sits somewhere between a stairs and a ladder but definitely closer to the former.
                                          Ours will be centered with storage underneath but similar idea as below, maybe a couple of attempts to get use to it but it’s interesting:

gamia_mini_13.jpg?q=80&canvas.width=621&canvas.height=931&canvas.color=ffffff&w=621&h=931.jpg
                                          Pigeon stairs?

They are certainly a clever design and use of space. Check compliance with building regulations if you plan on selling the attic room in future as a bedroom.

Comment

Confirmed nutjobs:

1. JK
                                            2. solks
                                            Don't forget about me! Have Helen Joyce's book arriving tomorrow https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...yieUROi&rank=1
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Pigeon stairs?

They are certainly a clever design and use of space. Check compliance with building regulations if you plan on selling the attic room in future as a bedroom.
                                              Thats a much better name than “space-saving”.

The co-workspace I use has 5 or 6 architects in there so I regularly annoy them with these types of questions.

They were explaining the issues around fire regulation and the stairs.
                                              The plan is to eventually sell but in all likelihood it will be sold as storage rather than a bedroom.

We’re viewing it as short term solution where the money we invest, we’ll likely recoup it when sold.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Don't forget about me! Have Helen Joyce's book arriving tomorrow https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...yieUROi&rank=1
                                                And me. Paperwork to prove nuttiness on request

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Pigeon stairs?

very difficult to get an attic classified as a bedroom here (naturally that doesn't stop you using it as such!)
                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Just dispatched.
                                                    So clearly not made from scratch (Equus used to take 8-12 weeks).
                                                    Arrived and wearing now. First impressions are that it's OK. It's not the same quality as my old Equus ones but it's...OK. Doesn't have that distinctive 'new leather' smell off it. I suspect they just buy them in bulk and stamp their brand name on them.

Slightly annoying thing is that it's the wrong size. My waist is 32in, so I ordered a 34in belt (and that should be the size to the middle hole) - I have it fastened at the second last hole instead. Will wear and see how it ages...

Comment

I was looking at this in the wake of the Equus crash

Might be suspect given they're half the price of Tim Hardy.

Not in any rush though, all my old ones still going strong, 8 or 9 years later?

Comment

Arrived and wearing now. First impressions are that it's OK. It's not the same quality as my old Equus ones but it's...OK. Doesn't have that distinctive 'new leather' smell off it. I suspect they just buy them in bulk and stamp their brand name on them.

Slightly annoying thing is that it's the wrong size. My waist is 32in, so I ordered a 34in belt (and that should be the size to the middle hole) - I have it fastened at the second last hole instead. Will wear and see how it ages...
                                                        RD3 " would it not make more sense for me to take the belt off first"

HH (lining up screwdriver and raising hammer) "stop squirming ..whack...oops ..eh sorry about that RD "

RD "groaning"

HH " at least we made a hole... ha ha..hmmm..is that blood?"

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

RD3 " would it not make more sense for me to take the belt off first"

HH (lining up screwdriver and raising hammer) "stop squirming ..whack...oops ..eh sorry about that RD "

RD "groaning"

HH " at least we made a hole... ha ha..hmmm..is that blood?"
                                                          Just realised that my mother has an ancient tool in her shed whose purpose is to make holes in leather. So HH's services will not be required.

Looks a bit like this, except 100 years older. I guess leather punching technology has not yet fallen to AI.

mackey-leather-punch.jpg
                                                          Attached Files

Comment

Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and the only punching you'll be doing is of your wallet, to try and fail to get it to fit in your pocket.

Just a few days to go, enter now and receive free gifts of unspecified monetary value.

There are Spot Prizes to be won, so even if your knowledge of horseflesh revolves around a dish you mistakenly once ordered in Paris there's still plenty of winning to go around.

Comment

Just realised that my mother has an ancient tool in her shed whose purpose is to make holes in leather. So HH's services will not be required.

Looks a bit like this, except 100 years older. I guess leather punching technology has not yet fallen to AI.

mackey-leather-punch.jpg
                                                              Confirmed. RDIII hails from a long line of S&M fetishistas!
                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Condé Nast Traveller names 15 best restaurants in Dublin for 2023

I'm heading to Six By Nico for the first time tomorrow for it's 'Tokyo' menu. Not a fan of Japanese food very generally speaking (ie. sushi) but going with an open mind.

Course 1
                                                                Chicken Karaage
                                                                Crispy Thigh, Togarashi, Oroshi Shoga Ginger

Course 2
                                                                Tempura
                                                                Crisp Enoki Mushroom, Pickled Daikon & Ponzu

Course 3
                                                                Okonomiyaki
                                                                Pork & Prawn Pancake, Okonomi Sauce, Japanese Mayonnaise

Course 4
                                                                Ramen
                                                                Miso Sea Bass, Tokyo Turnip, Shimeji Mushroom, Egg Yolk Jam & Kombu Dashi

Course 5
                                                                Tonkatsu
                                                                Panko Pork Cutlet, Glazed Belly, Cabbage, Hokkaido Pumpkin & Yakitori Ham Jam

Course 6
                                                                Strawberry Candy
                                                                White Chocolate, Matcha Cake, Candy Strawberry

Comment

I just saw Six by Nico have a vegan menu so must try there. A good okonomiyaki is one of the best dishes ever, so good.

Nomo above is the best ramen in Dublin, not that it has tough competition.

Comment

We went to Six by Nico a few weeks ago and it was one of the most disappointing meals we've ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                      We went to Six by Nico a few weeks ago and it was one of the most disappointing meals we've ever had.
                                                                      Which menu did you have?

I've been there maybe five times (not by choice, other people have booked it) and it's more miss than hit.

I dislike sea food so have had the vegetarian alternatives and they've been universally terrible ( pray for tar)

Genius idea for a business though. Cuts down on kitchen prep and it drives repeat business.

I guess it's like a low entry into fine dining (if that concept makes sense)
                                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 09-03-23, 19:43.

Comment

Last time I was there I saw a couple sit down at the table beside us, look at the menu, talk for a few mins and get up and leave. They had words with the front of house on the way out.

Didn't get the story but I think I later overheard her dismiss them as nutjobs.

Really strange considering they tell you the menu well in advance.

Be like leaving McDonald's in a huff.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                          I just saw Six by Nico have a vegan menu so must try there. A good okonomiyaki is one of the best dishes ever, so good.

Nomo above is the best ramen in Dublin, not that it has tough competition.
                                                                          Nomo is so far ahead of the rest it's unreal, terrible ramen overall in Dublin.
                                                                          Takara is pretty good but someone must have wrote an article about it there's a consistent queue. The rest I've tried are terrible
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Always see that Six by Nico hammering the social media ads which is an immediate red flag. Booked Joel Robuchon's in Vegas for June which should be good if the one in Monaco is anything to go by. No prices anywhere so could be interesting. I hear Vegas is lol expensive for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                              Booked Joel Robuchon's in Vegas for June which should be good if the one in Monaco is anything to go by. No prices anywhere so could be interesting..
                                                                              I ate in the three-star place there I'd say around 12 years ago and it was the least good of all the 2/3 star experiences I've had. I think it was about $500 at the time.

His famed mashed potato was way too creamy for my taste (like eating butter) and I threw up in the toilet after mega-chocolate dessert cos it was so rich (though that was clearly assisted by the wine wine and martinis too).

It was still pretty enjoyable mind you, just a bit full on, in that typical Vegas style.

El Bulli it definitely weren't though!

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                Condé Nast Traveller names 15 best restaurants in Dublin for 2023

I'm heading to Six By Nico for the first time tomorrow for it's 'Tokyo' menu. Not a fan of Japanese food very generally speaking (ie. sushi) but going with an open mind.

Course 1
                                                                                Chicken Karaage
                                                                                Crispy Thigh, Togarashi, Oroshi Shoga Ginger

Course 2
                                                                                Tempura
                                                                                Crisp Enoki Mushroom, Pickled Daikon & Ponzu

Course 3
                                                                                Okonomiyaki
                                                                                Pork & Prawn Pancake, Okonomi Sauce, Japanese Mayonnaise

Course 4
                                                                                Ramen
                                                                                Miso Sea Bass, Tokyo Turnip, Shimeji Mushroom, Egg Yolk Jam & Kombu Dashi

Course 5
                                                                                Tonkatsu
                                                                                Panko Pork Cutlet, Glazed Belly, Cabbage, Hokkaido Pumpkin & Yakitori Ham Jam

Course 6
                                                                                Strawberry Candy
                                                                                White Chocolate, Matcha Cake, Candy Strawberry
                                                                                Went to a Japanese Peruvian fusion in Vienna last weekend called dinningruhm.

Has ruined Japanese food for me. Possible the best meal I have ever had except for some paint stripper spirit they gave us at the end of the meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Which menu did you have?

I've been there maybe five times (not by choice, other people have booked it) and it's more miss than hit.

I dislike sea food so have had the vegetarian alternatives and they've been universally terrible ( pray for tar)

Genius idea for a business though. Cuts down on kitchen prep and it drives repeat business.

I guess it's like a low entry into fine dining (if that concept makes sense)
                                                                                  Alice in Wonderland. Menu actually looked great and the edible menu gimmick was a lol but the food was pretty poor, small portions and not a lot going on depsite a lot of hype from the restaurant online. Small glasses of paired wine, would have just preferred to order a bottle but thats my own fault.

Both of us agreed we'd most likely never go back.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Went to a Japanese Peruvian fusion in Vienna last weekend called dinningruhm.

Has ruined Japanese food for me. Possible the best meal I have ever had except for some paint stripper spirit they gave us at the end of the meal.
                                                                                    Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you can wash down your meals with XO brandy rather than paint stripper.

Approaching last chance territory for entries...

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... did you mention something about electric rads lately? Have a back room in the new house that I'm working out of that doesn't have a central heating rad in it and is baltic (north facing with big patio door not helping) and I need to do something about it.

Looking at something like these
                                                                                      Rointe oil-filled âś… D Series WiFi radiators âś… are our premium electric heaters with WiFi for smartphone control. Compatible with Amazon Alexa. Discover >>

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                        Nomo is so far ahead of the rest it's unreal, terrible ramen overall in Dublin.
                                                                                        Takara is pretty good but someone must have wrote an article about it there's a consistent queue. The rest I've tried are terrible
                                                                                        Takara is good in that it's cheap and nice - used to always be empty but now packed yep, it's grand. I think cost of living is driving people to cheaper eats. Ramen bar is meh, they have one that I liked and one that tastes like when you burn food in a pot. It's inedible and staff won't hear about it, just say the chef says it should be like that, table of 6 just leaving. Will try Ramen co, expect it's like Takara. Soup in DL used to be excellent, now meh, and when I had it in Smithfield it was terrible.

Comment

Good insight into the Fentanyl scene in Vancouver. I used to bop around these streets 30 years ago going to punk shows and drinking in non-hipster dive bars.

Plenty of heroin and weed around then, very little coke from what I remember but this is clearly next level shit.

Opioid Tragedy: Inside the Fentanyl Crisis | Ten Dollar Death Trip | ENDEVR Documentary

Comment

Anyone got a recommendation for a curtain company? (Know someone here is in blinds, Lazare?)

Comment

Good insight into the Fentanyl scene in Vancouver. I used to bop around these streets 30 years ago going to punk shows and drinking in non-hipster dive bars.

Plenty of heroin and weed around then, very little coke from what I remember but this is clearly next level shit.

Opioid Tragedy: Inside the Fentanyl Crisis | Ten Dollar Death Trip | ENDEVR Documentary
                                                                                              Around hasting is just insane. At least it was when I lived close by over a decade ago now.
                                                                                              The switch from well maintained stores, hip bars and cafes to absolute squalor in a matter of a few feet is hard to get your head around until you actually see it.
                                                                                              It's like an invisible line in the city where all services and stuff just stop. One step clean streets, next step literal piles of garbage.

Comment

No where near the same level but given the popularity of Dopesick it's mad to see the same thing happening with ADHD here. I know three girls who went to the same doctor and were given prescriptions for Ritalin or equivalents. Same thing has happened people I know who live outside Ireland.

It was heavily based on a questionnaire that asked things like are you distracted by your phone, do you sometimes take up and then drop new hobbies, or do people walking slow bother you.

Comment

I'd put Six by Nico in the same category as The Ivy and would avoid both like the plague.

The Park Café is probably the only place that shouldn't be on that Conde Nast list but as mentioned by others Nomo Ramen is just off the charts good.

Good to see Mamo and Volpe Nera on there, two excellent restaurants that go under the radar somewhat due to their location. Also Daddy's is a great spot, great for them to get on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Around hasting is just insane. At least it was when I lived close by over a decade ago now.
                                                                                                    The switch from well maintained stores, hip bars and cafes to absolute squalor in a matter of a few feet is hard to get your head around until you actually see it.
                                                                                                    It's like an invisible line in the city where all services and stuff just stop. One step clean streets, next step literal piles of garbage.
                                                                                                    hamsterdam innit
                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                      Anyone got a recommendation for a curtain company? (Know someone here is in blinds, Lazare?)

Pull yourself together!.....

I'll get my coat​

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                        No where near the same level but given the popularity of Dopesick it's mad to see the same thing happening with ADHD here. I know three girls who went to the same doctor and were given prescriptions for Ritalin or equivalents. Same thing has happened people I know who live outside Ireland.

It was heavily based on a questionnaire that asked things like are you distracted by your phone, do you sometimes take up and then drop new hobbies, or do people walking slow bother you.
                                                                                                        Give me them thar drugs Doc, I'm sick as all hell.

Comment

The fed has finally started breaking things, first a crypto bank, and now Silicon Valley Bank (Reggie will be happy) - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lead-quicktake (Why SVB Was Hit By a Bank Run and Where It Could Lead)

Both cases seem very similar; they took deposits and bought government bonds yielding low amounts in the boom time. Then the FED raised rates, and the value of the bonds dropped dramatically; this would be fine if the depositors kept their money in, but they didn't, and the banks had to sell the bonds at a big loss, a duration mismatch in CFA speak and now probably don't have enough money to cover all the deposits.

This will probably affect all banks to a small degree (I assume most of them are smart enough to hedge the risk), but Silicon Valley Bank had the perfect storm of their total amount of deposits going up hugely just before the rates increased.

Comment

Thanks, I watched this. Great documentary, it's very moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                              The fed has finally started breaking things, first a crypto bank, and now Silicon Valley Bank (Reggie will be happy) - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lead-quicktake (Why SVB Was Hit By a Bank Run and Where It Could Lead)

Both cases seem very similar; they took deposits and bought government bonds yielding low amounts in the boom time. Then the FED raised rates, and the value of the bonds dropped dramatically; this would be fine if the depositors kept their money in, but they didn't, and the banks had to sell the bonds at a big loss, a duration mismatch in CFA speak and now probably don't have enough money to cover all the deposits.

This will probably affect all banks to a small degree (I assume most of them are smart enough to hedge the risk), but Silicon Valley Bank had the perfect storm of their total amount of deposits going up hugely just before the rates increased.
                                                                                                              Depositors can get their money back (up to 250k) on Monday; that's pretty amazing. https://www.fdic.gov/news/press-rele...3/pr23016.html

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

The Park Café is probably the only place that shouldn't be on that Conde Nast list...
                                                                                                                What did you make of the IT expose on Corrigan's practices at The Park Cafe?

Comment

Feel sorry for lads living in achill and Inishmor who are going to have to pretend they think Banshees of Inesherin is a decent flick just to squeeze a few quid out of tourist.

Comment

What did you make of the IT expose on Corrigan's practices at The Park Cafe?
                                                                                                                    He won some food industry hero award not long after that came out- seems to just go with the territory

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                                      Hey Ed, we don't do a range of curtains ourselves but if you give Window Fashions in Terenure a call and tell them Conor from AFT put you in touch, that you're a friend of mine they'll look after you. They're the best around anyway I would say.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Lazare; 10-03-23, 19:39.
                                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                        Feel sorry for lads living in achill and Inishmor who are going to have to pretend they think Banshees of Inesherin is a decent flick just to squeeze a few quid out of tourist.
                                                                                                                        Here's a stick to beat the good lady with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Hey Ed, we don't do a range of curtains ourselves but if you give Window Fashions in Terenure a call and tell them Conor from AFT put you in touch, that you're a friend of mine they'll look after you. They're the best around anyway I would say.
                                                                                                                          Was hoping there was a 'Conors Curtins' shop.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X