This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

10% of balance with some lenders, and unlimited with PTSB, that I think you can even get back if you want. BOI are stringent, but if rates go up, they all have to use the same formula so the price will be 0, and I'll over pay then. Will invest it in the mean time, you can also get 4% in an instant savings account which is decent if people need the money in the short term. Was considering buying in London too in a few years so it might be for the best to not lock it away.
    Normally you can overpay 10% a month with no penalty with BOI on a fixed.

There's no chance of rates going up in the short term.

It's a pretty unique time that you can get a mortgage for less than the interest paid on a demand deposit amount.

Comment

Is Mary Lou a moron or just desperately trying to stop the DUP compromising?

United Ireland in ‘touching distance’ after DUP vote, says McDonald

It's one or the other.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Normally you can overpay 10% a month with no penalty with BOI on a fixed.

There's no chance of rates going up in the short term.

It's a pretty unique time that you can get a mortgage for less than the interest paid on a demand deposit amount.
        Yeah I overpay the 10%. I didn't realise rates would stop going up the second I switched so I couldn't overpay more haha.
        In real terms DIRT will bring it down below mortgages, to 2.47%, okish when I'm at 3.4% with BOI. Didn't want to faff around with ETF's at all time highs, but here we go.
        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 31-01-24, 11:47.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1744694&d=1706706021&type=thumb
          Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

It's one or the other.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hey hey. Any werewolf games goin?

Comment

Originally posted by Raekwon View Post
              I doubt you'll get enough interested enough to be putting in the level of engagement that's needed for it here these days but if you do , in.

Comment

It's one or the other.
                It’s a tactic knowing that in 6 months or so they will all be back saying no to everything based on one little word
                The DUP will be broken up in pieces by Nay people no people and gobshite followers
                If they stayed out any longer only 40% of their mlas would get back in the next election

id say Michelle O Neill will ring Mary Lou and tell her to keep quite for the 1st month or 2

Comment

And now for something completely different . Lukes last performance, the band looking solemn and Ronnie whispering well done Lukey at the end.

Comment

It's one or the other.
                    Any reason you don't think she could be both?
                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

'All of us Strangers' was wonderful. Really seems to be a glut of movies recently that fit into the 'they don't make movies like that nowadays ' category. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21192142/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Zero cocks though, so not perfect.

Comment

Louis CK has put up his show from last year. Well worth the $5. https://louisck.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                          Louis CK has put up his show from last year. Well worth the $5. https://louisck.com/
                          Am wary of cock count.

Comment

Ulster sez NO .

Comment

Should try blood on the clock tower, I play it a lot. Like werewolf but 100 times better

Comment

Useful reminder of what paid scumbags Mick Wallace and Clare Daly are.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Booked this years October citybreak to Rome.

Only thing that surprised me greatly was that AL was a lot cheaper than Ryanair (and better flight times). Maybe the economics of some routes lend themselves to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Only thing that surprised me greatly was that AL was a lot cheaper than Ryanair (and better flight times). Maybe the economics of some routes lend themselves to this?
                                    Our cruise is terminating in Rome. Initially booked Ryanair to come back as they were way cheaper. They proceeded to move the flight to 10 am from 7 pm which is useless. Aer Lingus have since introduced an afternoon flight which is perfect, and it was a good bit cheaper than Ryanair too.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Our cruise is terminating in Rome.
                                      Is Rome on the sea? I feel like my 5th class geography textbook may have been lying to me.

Comment

Is Rome on the sea? I feel like my 5th class geography textbook may have been lying to me.
                                        Sorry, cruise lines are like Ryanair...Rome (Civitavecchia).

Comment

Rome is close enough to the sea , probably Clondalkin distance . Great City all the same I must return to retrive my Lira from the Trevy.

Comment

Honestly can't see myself ever standing/queing in front of a machine to scan empty bottles and cans into it.

Fuck that.
                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

What I want to know is what will become of all the imported craft beer cans. My friend is a leading talking head on the matter and I can't get a straight answer out of him!

Comment

What I want to know is what will become of all the imported craft beer cans. My friend is a leading talking head on the matter and I can't get a straight answer out of him!
                                                Was just about to post about that. There's a guy on liveline right now talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  Honestly can't see myself ever standing/queing in front of a machine to scan empty bottles and cans into it.

Fuck that.
                                                  Not much different dropping bottles off at the bottle bank?

Comment

Going to be far fewer. Not going to be worth creating Ireland specific cans.

Comment

Going to be far fewer. Not going to be worth creating Ireland specific cans.
                                                      Will there be some kind of import tax on non returnable cans?
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Will there be some kind of import tax on non returnable cans?
                                                        I doubt they'll be allowed to be sold. I think old stock (non-refundable ones) can be sold to the end of March, after that they have to be refundable, so if they don't have those codes, they can't be sold I expect.

Comment

Am I right in thinking the only reason the cans need to have a 'special' label or sticker code is due to the possibility of people bringing down cans from the North and getting a deposit they didnt pay for back?
                                                          I mean, are we even talking about 1% of overall cans that might be in the system?

Shirley the amount of people paying the deposit and not bothering to return them for the refund would be in far excess of the other number?
                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Fuck that.
                                                            But your kids will. indeed they'll be fighting over the chance to do it and keep the receipt for sweets. And thats all that matters. Plus they'll grow up in this deeper habit of recycling.

We only recycle about 60% of cans we buy from the shop - this will get it up around 90%; which is our legal obligation under EU law by 2026 (I think).

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Well it is really. I go to the bottle bank because I don't have a collection service for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

But your kids will. indeed they'll be fighting over the chance to do it and keep the receipt for sweets. And thats all that matters. Plus they'll grow up in this deeper habit of recycling.

We only recycle about 60% of cans we buy from the shop - this will get it up around 90%; which is our legal obligation under EU law by 2026 (I think).
                                                                It certainly will be a nice little hustle for kids, and that's cool.

I'm glad it will increase that figure, and it has been proven to work in other countries. Just can't see myself doing it. It's far more convenient to throw that stuff into the green bin.

My time is a lot more valuable than a few shekel Dunnes voucher.

Comment

It certainly will be a nice little hustle for kids, and that's cool.

I'm glad it will increase that figure, and it has been proven to work in other countries. Just can't see myself doing it. It's far more convenient to throw that stuff into the green bin.

My time is a lot more valuable than a few shekel Dunnes voucher.
                                                                  Yup sure it’s all going to end up dumped in Africa anyway amirite
                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Comment

Don't personally agree with what this lad is saying but look at the video.

Sure, teething etc but you can bet your life you'd be standing there pulling your hair out trying to feed shit into these machines with stuff getting rejected. Not to mention standing behind some oul wan waiting.

Comment

Looks like a very over engineered solution.

Comment

Short break to Malaga in April taking in Cadiz and Seville. AL better value coz they doing free checked 10kg bag with most basic fair. 230 return all in for 2

1 New carry-on bag policy Saver fares: You can choose to check in a 10kg bag free of charge or pay a fee to carry it on board.
                                                                          Plus/Advantage/AerSpace fares: A 10kg carry-on bag with priority boarding is included.
                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Short break to Malaga in April taking in Cadiz and Seville. AL better value coz they doing free checked 10kg bag with most basic fair. 230 return all in for 2

1 New carry-on bag policy Saver fares: You can choose to check in a 10kg bag free of charge or pay a fee to carry it on board.
                                                                            Plus/Advantage/AerSpace fares: A 10kg carry-on bag with priority boarding is included.
                                                                            Guy at Heathrow check in tried to fuck me on that at the weekend, tells me ah sure you don't need to check that bag in, and you'll save time on the other side.
                                                                            Person I was with had a checked bag anyway so didn't make sense for me to bring it on board.

Rock up to the gate and heaps of people were getting done with a carry on charge.
                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Great Apprentice moment tonight when
                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                              the lad in the brown suit let out a clap and a cheer because he thought his team had won. Complete misunderstanding of how percentage refunds work.

Comment

We have a glass bin that gets picked up every 2 months so yes.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Who does that for you?

Comment

We have very very little Glass, would take us a year maybe to fill i bin. Im a big dirty diet coke drinker ( cant drink teas nor coffee) so the can hit would be big.

Anyone use the Ballymaloe Hot Relish- I'm addicted to it but can only see it in Supervalu . Tiny jar for 3.50. Would seek alternatives when in other stores . Anyone a hot relish connoisseur?

Comment

Who does that for you?
                                                                                      The bi monthly glass bin collector obviously

Comment

Who does that for you?
                                                                                        you shouldn't need to ask, it's completely transparent

Comment

I’ve deffo seen tesco own brand chilli relish. No idea if it’s any good though.

Comment

you shouldn't need to ask, it's completely transparent
                                                                                            TransParent has new meaning in 2024.

Comment

Don't personally agree with what this lad is saying but look at the video.

Sure, teething etc but you can bet your life you'd be standing there pulling your hair out trying to feed shit into these machines with stuff getting rejected. Not to mention standing behind some oul wan waiting.

Probably a can that didn't have the proper barcode on it, done for clicks.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

If I had a glass bottle collection service...Bin be like...

24363_20150319-152839.jpg
                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Probably a can that didn't have the proper barcode on it, done for clicks.
                                                                                                  Possibly, but you can be sure there'll be a rejection rate of 5%+.

The machine won't accept damaged cans, things that crumple if you shout at them.

I dropped a can of Wicklow Wolf last night at the till in SV and dented the top, then paid the deposit.

15c down the swanny

Comment

If you have cans/bottles bought in the last month still in your green bin (and not squashed up) then there's a good chance the machines will accept them and give you the 15c even though you didn't pay a deposit when you purchased them.
                                                                                                    Apparently the system is working purely by barcodes and ignoring the presence or not of the new logo.
                                                                                                    Something to set the kids doing this weekend in lieu of pocket money?

Comment

Who does that for you?
                                                                                                      Panda have just introduced a monthly glass collection in my area. Extra €5 a month. Bottle bank is so close to me, I'm not bothering with it. Also don't want to see a full months amount.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                        If you have cans/bottles bought in the last month still in your green bin (and not squashed up) then there's a good chance the machines will accept them and give you the 15c even though you didn't pay a deposit when you purchased them.
                                                                                                        Apparently the system is working purely by barcodes and ignoring the presence or not of the new logo.
                                                                                                        Something to set the kids doing this weekend in lieu of pocket money?
                                                                                                        I've have no reason to think you are wrong, but if this is true it's the most Irish implementation ever. I'd go as far as saying it almost can't be true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was (I know they are mutually incompatible).

Comment

Just got charged the 15c on a can that's identical to the one I bought earlier in the week that's still on my desk. Either I'm up 15c or down 15c. That means I'm at 0 EV...so into the bin they go.

Comment

Just got charged the 15c on a can that's identical to the one I bought earlier in the week that's still on my desk. Either I'm up 15c or down 15c. That means I'm at 0 EV...so into the bin they go.
                                                                                                            Meh, you could perform a Friday IPB service and bring them both back and see if get you 30c, 15c or 0. Thus proving whether my outlandish claim is correct or not.
                                                                                                            It's not often you get to perform a meaningful scientific experiment.

Comment

Right then. I'm going to the gym and the machine is on the way, so in the name of science I'll oblige.

Comment

Is the scheme not targetting the wrong people? Most people probably recycle their stuff at home. It's on the go purchases that don't make it into the green bin. Are those people really going to change? Are we really expecting people to go find a return to get 15c? (It's not even 15c, it's a ticket that you have to keep to get 15c). Too much friction imo.

Comment

Is the scheme not targetting the wrong people? Most people probably recycle their stuff at home. It's on the go purchases that don't make it into the green bin. Are those people really going to change? Are we really expecting people to go find a return to get 15c? (It's not even 15c, it's a ticket that you have to keep to get 15c). Too much friction imo.
                                                                                                                  make it 50c instead so

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                    Great Apprentice moment tonight when
                                                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                                                    the lad in the brown suit let out a clap and a cheer because he thought his team had won. Complete misunderstanding of how percentage refunds work.
                                                                                                                    I think I'd have just sacked him on the spot for that reaction. Way OTT too. Aul Sugar must have been tempted.

Comment

had a long post with numbers written up and laptop turned off.

2 reasons
                                                                                                                      * load shifting
                                                                                                                      * peak shaving

Load shifting usually means moving your usage to cheaper times (2-5am for my EV rate of €0.07 per unit) but with a battery I can use those cheap units during the more expensive times. Smart meters have 'peak times' too (5pm-7pm) with higher rates - avoiding usage here is well worth it - even if that means "charging at normal rates" at 3/4pm so you're not pulling from the grid at the peak times.

Peak shaving - With any buffer, even a 1kWh battery for example, you can prevent a lot of import from the grid - because you can match the house requirements with solar + battery. Remember that your house will pull the power from wherever it can get it, solar + battery + grid - and supply and demand must be matched instantaneously. If the sun is heading behind the clouds just as you're turning on a hair dryer during the day - you're eating off of the grid. If you however have a buffer, you can pull from the battery to cover that gap - and the sun will come back and refill that battery for you.

Also general pessimism over the FIT prices being as good as they are today forever.
                                                                                                                      Where are you getting that 2-5am rate of 7c per unit? Most night rates I can see are 3x that. I did see one Electric Ireland one at 11c or so for 2 hours per night, but I just signed up to a new Bord Gais contract and their night rates are poor, 25c or so.

Comment

Reminds me of this Seinfeld episode

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

​​image.png

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X