This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    I only now understand Conor's reaction to "Hold The Door"...
    This too shall pass.

Comment

Swapping looking for houses on a Saturday morning for, looking for couches on a Saturday morning.

Comment

Civil case tried in NY last year found that
        Yes, that makes sense, thank you.
        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Final shill for the 2024 Multi Sport Competition. Entries by 5.30pm this afternoon.
          Pit your wits against fellow IPB sports experts in calling the winner of The Epsom Derby, UEFA 2024, Wimbledon, The Masters etc. Win a pot of money and some fleeting feelgood.

2024 Multi Sport Competition - Irish Poker Boards
          Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 27-01-24, 12:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I think its ok to deny rape or sexual abuse but its not ok to publicly abuse someone the way he did.
            Morally or legally?
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I've said it before and i'll say it again - TikTik is a beautiful platform. Almost constant positivity, unless you were to actively go looking for negativity. Perfectly personalised to whatever you like, but with enough randomness to keep you learning new things. My tiktok at the moment is about 60% how_to_do_things_with_AI videos and 40% 'man buys plot of land in the wilderness and tries to make a go of it'. Its a deeply refreshing social media.
              I cant think of a single topic that I would be interested in watching 30 second videos about.

Comment

Twitter is a cesspool and makes me worry for humanity on a constant basis.

There is one really feelgood account i follow - Niall Harbison - not sure if ever mentioned on here.

Not sure on his full story but cliffs are that he was an Irish tech entrepreneur, sold his business for 7 figures and moved to Thailand.

Was an alcoholic though which nearly killed him. Gave it up and is now saving street dogs, feeding 800 of them daily, steralising, vaxxing, paying for operations etc.

Has saved numerous dogs very close to death and nurtured them back to health. Some have died since, so not all rosy, but any dog lover here would enjoy the stories of Tina, Derek, McMuffin etc i’d imagine.

Has a big social outreach now and gets hundreds of applications to rehome these dogs, which has happened. Think even Noel or Liam Gallagher has taken one.

Only dogs i guess at the end of day some will say. But just a lovely thing to do and read about.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  Swapping looking for houses on a Saturday morning for, looking for couches on a Saturday morning.
                  And that's the good bit.

Congrats.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Lol you'd loose your shit if you were fined €3.47
                    That's an oddly specific number CC!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

And that's the good bit.

Congrats.
                      Not yet unfortunately, I'm still at the mercy of the probate office.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Morally or legally?
                        Would it be 83m if he wasnt so eh defamatory about her. I dont think so.

Comment

Would it be 83m if he wasnt so eh defamatory about her. I dont think so.
                          That all stems from the verdict in the sexual assault case.

I was asking whether you think it’s morally, or legally, wrong to publically “abuse” someone like he did.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

I cant think of a single topic that I would be interested in watching 30 second videos about.
                            They don't really do those 30 second videos anymore. Everything is usually now one to three minutes. Its a grand amount of time tbh.
                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Constantly amazed with how good our health insurance is - almost French level quality, albeit with niggles around the edges. Its the Irish Life 4d4 health package. Its paid for by the wifes company - 4300 a year, 1700 for the two adults, 500 per kid. Would that count as cheap or expensive in an Irish context? I've no real comparison point. The big thing is that it seems to cover 75% of nearly everything - every consultant, every GP, whatever. Not sure if health packages have gotten better over the years, or thats a particularly good one?

Comment

That all stems from the verdict in the sexual assault case.

I was asking whether you think it’s morally, or legally, wrong to publically “abuse” someone like he did.

What i think ?

To have an opinion about someone however bad is fine and you can say what you like . However you cannot openly defame them ie continually call her a liar ( amongst other remarks) in the case a perjure when legally the opposite is true . I could call you a dodgy bloke in my opinion but i cant tell everyone you stole my car.

My point really was on the 85million. His mouth cost him that. He keeps shooting his mouth off expecting immunity to whatever he spews. He got a rap to show he cant. The amount amougob inflated.

Comment

The Houthis seem like the Little Guys That Could.

Comment

Its not ok to publicly abuse someone the way he did.

To have an opinion about someone however bad is fine and you can say what you like .
                                    The above two remarks are different though, thats why I was curious, and asked you. ​

Trumps an asshole. That much is clear. His remarks about E Jean Carroll though, the ones this case was about, are in a vacuum, not illegal. You could argue they aren't even abusive. The are defamatory, clearly, as a result of the earlier conviction.

Comment

This is pretty disturbing and just goes to show how total Hamas's control of Gaza is.

The fact that countries like Finland and Canada are involved in the cessation of aid to UNWRA underlines that this must be credible.

Comment

The above two remarks are different though, thats why I was curious, and asked you. ​

Trumps an asshole. That much is clear. His remarks about E Jean Carroll though, the ones this case was about, are in a vacuum, not illegal. You could argue they aren't even abusive. The are defamatory, clearly, as a result of the earlier conviction.
                                        That is the scope of yesterdays award though - defamation. In the light of the prior trial that he lost, it is hard to see how any other verdict could have been rendered.

Kayroo much more qualified obv. but the legal chatter is the his lead attorney was totally out of her depth. I wonder why he picked her.

screen-shot-2024-01-04-at-21958-pm-1.png

Comment

That is the scope of yesterdays award though - defamation. In the light of the prior trial that he lost, it is hard to see how any other verdict could have been rendered.

Kayroo much more qualified obv. but the legal chatter is the his lead attorney was totally out of her depth. I wonder why he picked her.

screen-shot-2024-01-04-at-21958-pm-1.png
                                          Yeah that’s my point. I’d been wondering how the result was so large, it seems ridiculous for comments that weren’t that bad. But as SP reminded. The award was based on basically how much they thought it would take him to shut up.

I’d also been wondering how everyone in the conservative forum on Reddit thought it was so ridiculous and that it would be overturned on appeal.

That doesnt seem likely given the earlier conviction.

Comment

Yeah that’s my point. I’d been wondering how the result was so large, it seems ridiculous for comments that weren’t that bad. But as SP reminded. The award was based on basically how much they thought it would take him to shut up.

I’d also been wondering how everyone in the conservative forum on Reddit thought it was so ridiculous and that it would be overturned on appeal.

That doesnt seem likely given the earlier conviction.
                                            The best quote I ever heard about Trump was "he has none of the qualities you would look for in a president - and all of the qualities you would not look for."

This latest nonsense just underlines that.

Even if the first verdict was wrong - it wasn't but lets pretend, he should have had the discipline to STFU and move on.

Comment

"They way he did" means how he went about it. Like I said you cant do it . The settlement was the result IT wpuld definitely been smaller had he STFU .

I hope he's spewing green puke at the moment.

Comment

Remember that damages can be increased on appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                  Constantly amazed with how good our health insurance is - almost French level quality, albeit with niggles around the edges. Its the Irish Life 4d4 health package. Its paid for by the wifes company - 4300 a year, 1700 for the two adults, 500 per kid. Would that count as cheap or expensive in an Irish context? I've no real comparison point. The big thing is that it seems to cover 75% of nearly everything - every consultant, every GP, whatever. Not sure if health packages have gotten better over the years, or thats a particularly good one?
                                                  I pay €2250 a month just for myself and I think my plan sucks. Pretty much nothing back on any everyday stuff, and this month I have paid around €1,500 that I can't claim back on cardiac tests in the Mater Private.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I pay €2250 a month just for myself and I think my plan sucks. Pretty much nothing back on any everyday stuff, and this month I have paid around €1,500 that I can't claim back on cardiac tests in the Mater Private.
                                                    thats criminal. Wtf. Thats my yearly fee.

Get on the phone 1st thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

That makes a ton of sense to me. Wondering why Paul and Hitch are saying it's not viable economically. Is it simply that the current cost outweighs those savings?

Also, re the bit about the clouds, I understood the panels simply need daylight to generate. Although I assume they're at max generation in bright sunlight.
                                                      simply put - today's FIT (feed in tariffs) means that 'the grid' pays too well for the battery to make sense economically. You are getting back 50% or something for excess energy from the grid, best you can do by 'storing it yourself' is about 80% due to conversion losses.

If the amount you get paid for excess solar is such a large proportion of what you can do 'best case' otherwise - and that FIT is 'by default' with no cost of anything like a battery outlay - is a no-brainer to just use the grid as your battery.

If that stays as high - the battery can take decades to pay back. If that dynamic changes, so does payback period.

Comment

This is pretty disturbing and just goes to show how total Hamas's control of Gaza is.

The fact that countries like Finland and Canada are involved in the cessation of aid to UNWRA underlines that this must be credible.
                                                        Remind me again when you last made a post denouncing the 8 mothers a day killed by Israel in Gaza. Or anything where you even slightly indicate you think of these people as real people, rather than topics for an intellectual debate in the New York Times.

Comment

That's my girl. Proud mammy
                                                          She recorded that in Lurgan last summer and they released it yesterday. Thought I'd share

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world
                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

thats criminal. Wtf. Thats my yearly fee.

Get on the phone 1st thing.
                                                            Uh, I meant a year.

It seems to be a good time for quality films atm. I went to All of Us Strangers today and it is the most emotionally affecting film I think I've ever seen. The acting is out if this world, and it's an extraordinarily beautiful work. Blew me right open, and I haven't shed so many tears at a film ever. 5 wombats.

Comment

Jesus Christ on a bike. You need to get into that 4D4 plan then. I get my yearly Cardiac MRI (€650) and echocardiogram fully covered in Blackrock. All the other stuff as well. But generally their attitude seems rock solid. Like they pay for 50% of the wife's therapy. I saw today they also cover 50% of gene mapping for illness prediction. Quite tempted by that.

Comment

We are going to need more detail before we can say how disturbing it really is.
                                                                UNRWA is one of the biggest employers of Palestinian people in Gaza it would be surprising if there weren't many Hamas amongst their number. Its not clear how many or at what kind of jobs or level the people implicated were working at. Obviously there is a world of difference difference between the organisation being infiltrated at a senior level and there being people who work as teachers, drivers or whatever double jobbing with Hamas.
                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                  She recorded that in Lurgan last summer and they released it yesterday. Thought I'd share

That's very good, well done her.
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

We are going to need more detail before we can say how disturbing it really is.
                                                                    UNRWA is one of the biggest employers of Palestinian people in Gaza it would be surprising if there weren't many Hamas amongst their number. Its not clear how many or at what kind of jobs or level the people implicated were working at. Obviously there is a world of difference difference between the organisation being infiltrated at a senior level and there being people who work as teachers, drivers or whatever double jobbing with Hamas.
                                                                    Yes, agreed. But clearly the governments involved find it sufficiently disturbing to withhold funds to UNRWA.

To be clear, the reason is that UNRWA staff took part in the 07-Oct attacks. I doubt Australia, Canada or Finland would take this step without overwhelming evidence.

Comment

Yeah it's really beautiful. I wish Irish had been made beautiful when I was in school.

Speaking of beautiful, I was at a great modern art museum in Barcelona during the week, Moco, and was blown away by a room with 4 huge paintings by a young Chilean artist called Guillermo Lorca. Incredible stuff like this.
                                                                      Last edited by hotspur; 27-01-24, 22:41.

Comment

Conducted an experiment (Mint Bar, Westin hotel) into 'how much would you need to pay the piano man to sing Piano Man?'

Answer: zero.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

That's really beautiful Michelle, fair play to her.

Is it her own?
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

That's really beautiful Michelle, fair play to her.

Is it her own?
                                                                            No it's a Billie Elish song

Ah she never sings anymore so was nice to hear!
                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Saw Frankie tonight in KK... He deluved!
                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

What Hamas did is unforgivable. What Israel is doing in return is worse.

A lot of people in this world just waiting for an opportunity's to inflict pain and suffering. Unfortunately a minority of them are in a position to ensure it happens with relative impunity. All they need is a real/contrived wafer-thin excuse.

It’s depressing to think that for all our so called ‘evolution’ we are still finding ourselves here.

“People speak sometimes about the "bestial" cruelty of man, but that is terribly unjust and offensive to beasts, no animal could ever be so cruel as a man, so artfully, so artistically cruel.”
                                                                                Dostoyevsky
                                                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Iago, he's wrong some animals eat you alive.

We are having like animals.

Comment

This. Timing stinks.

Comment

This. Timing stinks.
                                                                                      Seems likely there will be a prolonged ceasefire and return of Israeli hostages shortly.

Obviously the question then is 'and then what?' Assuming Hamas still rule Gaza, it's hard to see any progress towards a long term solution. They'll start another war once they replenish their weaponry.

Comment

Seems likely there will be a prolonged ceasefire and return of Israeli hostages shortly.

Obviously the question then is 'and then what?' Assuming Hamas still rule Gaza, it's hard to see any progress towards a long term solution. They'll start another war once they replenish their weaponry.
                                                                                        There's certainly going to be a generation or two of revenge which is tragic.

Comment

Some serious turnups in the cricket today - both England and the West Indies (even more so) pulling off dramatic wins.

Comment

There's certainly going to be a generation or two of revenge which is tragic.
                                                                                            No thoughts of giving up the auld Jihadism?

Comment

Made a return visit to La Gordita last night, confirmed as still being excellent. Recommended.

Comment

This. Timing stinks.

Mostly American followers are named there as the feed of what the great state said
                                                                                                michael Martin mentioned that we would not suspend donations so a bit of a false report and there have been lots by both sides during this futile fallout
                                                                                                one day within the next 200 or so it might all sort it self out

Comment

No thoughts of giving up the auld Jihadism?
                                                                                                  It's a cycle of revenge. A 100 year cycle of revenge that's unfortunately ramped up.

Comment

It's a cycle of revenge. A 100 year cycle of revenge that's unfortunately ramped up.
                                                                                                    But again, launching a war against Israel.is demonstrably counter-productive. Hence why Egypt and Jordan decided never to make that mistake again.

So why wouldn't Hamas learn from all these failed wars and try something different? You seem to be fatalistically accepting that nothing will change. Where is the Palestinian Mandela?

Comment

But again, launching a war against Israel.is demonstrably counter-productive. Hence why Egypt and Jordan decided never to make that mistake again.

So why wouldn't Hamas learn from all these failed wars and try something different? You seem to be fatalistically accepting that nothing will change. Where is the Palestinian Mandela?
                                                                                                      Do you think Netyanahu would work with Mandela?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                        Do you think Netyanahu would work with Mandela?
                                                                                                        The Americans wouldn't allow him not to.

Comment

Just as I'm about to confidently back Equatorial Guinea against Guinea I was musing on their small population and what the world rankings per capita might look like.

Ireland do very well at 11th. Nothing compared to my beloved Cape Verde. But then a lot of African nations are packed with players born in Europe.

Comment

What's the population of Newport?

Comment

What's the population of Newport?
                                                                                                              160k

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

160k
                                                                                                                Rhetorical Q

Comment

People dropping like flies, how many feckin bugs doing the rounds.

Comment

People dropping like flies, how many feckin bugs doing the rounds.
                                                                                                                    Flies....bugs.....very good.

Who was in Rome recently (Hitch?)? Recommendations for where to stay in the city - neighbourhood wise - pls

Comment

Who was in Rome recently (Hitch?)? Recommendations for where to stay in the city - neighbourhood wise - pls
                                                                                                                      This question was solved by OllyK many many moons ago... https://www.spagnaroyalsuite.com/

Absolutely endorsed by me, and some others as well I believe.

Comment

I missed that

Kid came home from school Friday with a couple of hoppers in his hair . The missus doused us all .
                                                                                                                        Must be 40 years since I got that whiff.

Was on the falls round and Springfield area of Belfast yesterday . Grim enough area but some great ART that SP would admire.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                                        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post

This question was solved by OllyK many many moons ago... https://www.spagnaroyalsuite.com/

Absolutely endorsed by me, and some others as well I believe.
                                                                                                                          I will have three teenagers in tow unfortunately otherwise I'd be all over the OllyK OK!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X