Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was always under the impression this was the de facto worst song of all time

Comment

Was playing around with Google Bard tonight - initially a bit disappointed that it was giving the same old style of results. Then I realised that Bard Europe is still on the old model, so I turn on the US VPN and voila. The new gemini model is there and giving it loads. Have a look at this thread: https://g.co/bard/share/ee25bad51fe2 jebus, the multimodal stuff is epic. Not sure exactly how it competes as an underlying model, but that ability to effortlessly see graphics, maps, etc is going to be killer from a pure results perspective.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

OMG

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Moving Hearts 1981

I know there were viewed as Celtic Rock , however this from the Book of Invasions always invoked a trad rock feel to it for me . Every track on this Album is an Anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Yeah - no, i get the context! I just can't quite comprehend how he thinks someone should make a multi-year decision based on a one-day news story.

It reminds me a bit of what I think is the greatest time-perspective-imbalance of all time: Rebecca Black and the song: Friday.

SPOILER

You might remember that back in 2011 Rebecca Black a young teenager released a song called 'Friday'. It was widely viewed as one of the worst song creations of all time.

But ... because it was viewed as *the* worst and not just one of the worst, it ended up making Rebecca millions by all accounts at the time.

The lesser known fact is what she did with that money. At around the same time the song took off there was a disastrous earthquake in Japan that dominated the news for a while. Rebecca decided that THIS VERY RICH COUNTRY needed her millions more than her and donated the proceeds from her song to a charity appeal for Japan.

Its such a bizarre story, her choosing to affect her future wellbeing so dramatically because of being distracted by a temporary news story that really nobody remembers any more. The ultimate time-perspective-imbalance.

In fairness to her, she has turned into a lovely person, so maybe the decent mindset has won out in the end. And we can celebrate her with a quick viewing of:

It could be that. It could be that you're not fully appreciating why he's making that statement.

Comment

or is it?

El Chombo’s magnum opus, dubiously titled Chacarron, explores the perils of intellectual contemplation in an environment filled with midwits. The only course of action for many is to “Ihni binni”. Confronted with this grim reality some may try and stand against the tide of normalcy, but the enlightened few embrace the subtle dimi diniwiny of this practice.
              I can see both sides.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

So, to get an urgent passport issued requires paying €125 and filling in a paper form with both a civilian and a garda witness. I tried half-heartedly to suggest that given they already have our electronic application on file and have been waiting a month on issuing it - so could we not just pay the fee and have them issue that instead of having to go through a whole new paper-based process. But no cigar. It then ocurred to us that Morrocco is probably a renegade state of some sort, what with it being in the renegade state part of the world - look it up and *boom* Russian passport is golden and has long been good long before the EU passport was solid currency. It would make you wonder why so many places in the world are fighting so desperately to avoid having Russian passports.
                I thought you weren't travelling until February? Why would you need to think about an urgent passport request in December?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

or is it?

I can see both sides.
                  Reminds me of when i was doing my junior cert and the theme in woodwork was the environment.

I, shit at woodwork, made whatever i made with copious help from the teacher, but right at the end sent a huge saw mark through it somehow. With neither the time or skill to fix it, i had to submit as it.

In the brief i said that the saw mark was deliberate and represented the imperfections of nature yada yada.

Got a C (+ maybe)

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I thought you weren't travelling until February? Why would you need to think about an urgent passport request in December?
                    nah, travelling next week. passport is valid until Feb, but Morocco requires passports to have validity for six months after departure date.

Comment

nah, travelling next week. passport is valid until Feb, but Morocco requires passports to have validity for six months after departure date.
                      Ah right, I knew Feb had something to do with it. At least ye have it sorted.

Comment

Reminds me of when i was doing my junior cert and the theme in woodwork was the environment.

I, shit at woodwork, made whatever i made with copious help from the teacher, but right at the end sent a huge saw mark through it somehow. With neither the time or skill to fix it, i had to submit as it.

In the brief i said that the saw mark was deliberate and represented the imperfections of nature yada yada.

Got a C (+ maybe)
                        I presume you wrote something like this:

In the grand tapestry of artistic expression, sculptors emerge as alchemists of form, navigating the realm of materials to transmute the mundane into the extraordinary. Among the myriad elements at their disposal, wood stands as a venerable accomplice, a medium that has enraptured sculptors throughout the ages. This treatise aims to unravel the esoteric allure that wood exerts upon sculptors, probing into the intimate dialogues between the artisan and the arboreal essence.

The Ancestral Echo:

Wood, a substance with deep roots in the annals of human creativity, transcends its elemental origins to become a repository of history, tradition, and cultural resonance. Sculptors, like custodians of an ancient alchemy, carve into the very marrow of this organic chronicle, retrieving narratives etched by nature and human intervention alike. The resonance of each chisel strike becomes a communion with the ancestral echoes embedded within the wood, forging an intimate dialogue between the contemporary sculptor and the timeless materiality of the past.

Sensual Synergy:

The tactile symphony that unfolds beneath the sculptor's hands when working with wood is nothing short of poetic. Wood, endowed with a sensual warmth, responds to the sculptor's touch with a reciprocity that transcends the limits of inert matter. The grain, a testimony to the tree's growth, becomes the sculptor's guide, a roadmap for artistic exploration. The tactile encounter with wood, with its unique grain patterns, knots, and imperfections, metamorphoses the act of sculpting into a dance between the artist's intentions and the inherent character of the material.

Malleability and Resistance:

Wood, paradoxically yielding and resistant, presents sculptors with a dynamic interplay of challenges and rewards. The malleability of wood invites the sculptor to manipulate form with a finesse reminiscent of a choreographed ballet. Simultaneously, the inherent resistance of certain wood types resists the sculptor's intervention, demanding a negotiation that borders on the philosophical. This symbiotic struggle, a microcosm of the broader human experience, shapes the sculptor's journey into an odyssey of discovery and mastery.

Environmental Consciousness:

In an era marked by an increasing awareness of environmental sustainability, sculptors find in wood an ally that resonates with ecological responsibility. The renewable nature of wood aligns with the contemporary artist's commitment to mindful creation, offering a medium through which the artist can engage with and advocate for a harmonious coexistence with the natural world.

Conclusion:

In the transcendent dialogue between sculptor and wood, a profound alchemy unfolds—a synthesis of history, sensuality, challenge, and ecological consciousness. The sculptor, wielding tools as an extension of artistic intent, navigates the intricate labyrinth of grain and growth rings, birthing forms that echo the zeitgeist while remaining tethered to the roots of creation. The affinity between sculptors and wood is a testament to the perennial dance between the ephemeral and the enduring, an ode to the timeless resonance of artistic expression in alliance with the arboreal essence.

Comment

Firmly believe my 16 year old imagination would have trumped anything that chat gpt could have come up with

Comment

Firmly believe my 16 year old imagination would have trumped anything that chat gpt could have come up with
                            It's throwing off some gold to alleviate the boredom this morning:

Beyond the apparent lyrical chaos, "Chacarron" can be interpreted as a postmodern parody that deconstructs the very notion of linguistic coherence within the context of popular music. El Chombo, in a departure from conventional lyricism, employs absurdity as a form of resistance against the established order of meaning-making. This stylistic choice not only challenges the listener's cognitive faculties but also serves as a provocative commentary on the transitory nature of meaning in the postmodern era.

"Chacarron" by El Chombo, in its deliberate semantic discordance and lyrical transgressions, emerges as a sonic testament to the transformative power of linguistic experimentation within the realm of popular music. By dismantling traditional linguistic norms, El Chombo engages in a postmodern play that blurs the boundaries between meaning and meaninglessness, challenging the listener to confront the inherent subjectivity of linguistic interpretation. In this unconventional musical odyssey, "Chacarron" stands as an intellectual beacon, beckoning us to rethink the very essence of lyrical expression in the kaleidoscopic landscape of contemporary musical discourse.

Comment

It's throwing off some gold to alleviate the boredom this morning:

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Braverman making her move to turn the Tories into a full blown Trumpist party tonight.

Election before end Q2 and Farrage party leader in 24

Special message from BBC yesterday evening
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                  Special message from BBC yesterday evening
                                  Some good Anchorman vibes there.

Comment

Some good Anchorman vibes there.
                                    “Goodnight San Diego and go fuck yourself” moment

Comment

"Its Friday Friday..looking forward to the weekend" Do de doo do de doo

Catchy!

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                        Boring question alert.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to get curtains?
                                        Lazare

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                          Deeply offended by the boring bit

Let me know what you're after Reggie, there's a range of options from off the shelf to made to measure, I can steer you right.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1743249&d=1701959571&type=thumb Raoul Duke III

It must be all the hymn singing .
                                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                              It must be all the hymn singing .
                                              I'm surprised the difference is so small tbh.

Comment

Not everyone realises this but if you take the receipts out of your pocket and bind them together you get a tiny little booklet on why you are broke .

Comment

V4V recommended this book for teaching kids about money, so have been reading it to the eight-year-old the last short while. Its a highly decent book - surprised by just how well it gets across high-level investment ideas while clearly being written for kids. +1111, 5 out of 5 V4Vbats.

Comment

Got a C (+ maybe)
                                                    In my all too brief sojourn at 3d level I turned up for my exam in Logic.
                                                    Presented with the relatively straightforward question of "Can you define definition?" quickly followed by a cunning and more than a little distrustful"how many types of definition can you name?" and beginning to panic....I cast my mind back to the few lectures I had actually made it to ,..

I remember DR Spock opened his first lecture with a story about somebody asking him "do you have the time"
                                                    "Yes" he replied and walked on (collosal wanker that he was) (delighted with himself no doubt) and regaled us with several other examples of said wankery

Shrugging my shoulders and nothing to lose I answered
                                                    "Yes" to the first question and "Three" to the second

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Deeply offended by the boring bit

Let me know what you're after Reggie, there's a range of options from off the shelf to made to measure, I can steer you right.
                                                      Something like this would be perfect:

Comment

I know there were viewed as Celtic Rock , however this from the Book of Invasions always invoked a trad rock feel to it for me . Every track on this Album is an Anthem.

Strong Juluka vibe from that Horslips song...think I remember Johnny Cleg being interviewed about his influences and Irish Celtic music was one of them IIRC

Comment

@Solks: have you seen this Finnish movie? Getting great reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Something like this would be perfect:

Lazare where can I get this?

Comment

I've been listening to Prophet Song on Audible. Jesus it's hard work. Haven't discerned anything praiseworthy or even decent in it so far.

Comment

Jaysus, the market is now pricing in 1.5% cut in ECB interest rates next year.

Comment

@Solks: have you seen this Finnish movie? Getting great reviews
                                                                  Haven't clicked the link as I suspect its fallen Leaves. Kaurismaki movies are quintessentially Finnish but he has his own style. About 10 years ago a wine bar in cows lane - gone now . The missus sang there weekly , we were treated to 2 Kaurismaki movies , about 25 of us including the Finnish Ambassador. I enjoyed the movies but didnt quite get all the Finn references (until explained by experience in later years) that missus saw that movie a few months ago in Helsinki and they raved about it. Apparently its got a wider appeal. Talk of Oscars etc. She said GO.

Comment

Jaysus, the market is now pricing in 1.5% cut in ECB interest rates next year.
                                                                    That seems optimistic (or very pessimistic if you take it as a leading indicator).

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                      I've been listening to Prophet Song on Audible. Jesus it's hard work. Haven't discerned anything praiseworthy or even decent in it so far.
                                                                      I can see how the writing style mightn't work as an audio book. I'm half way through and it's not what I'd expected but enjoying it so far, It's all subtle tension and frustration.
                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Another prophet song, RIP Benjamin

Comment

That seems optimistic (or very pessimistic if you take it as a leading indicator).
                                                                          It does feel a bit 'oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck' if they are indeed cutting things that quickly. That was in the Bloomberg Markets summary today.

Comment

Turned up to those class recliner seats in Vue Liffey Valley tonight to watch Interstellar (2014).

a) wow, what an epic epic epic movie. I can see why people tried to pretend that godawful Tenet was something - that they almost felt they owed him because of just how good Interstellar was. I feel it will take days to unpack everything in that masterpiece.

b) the screen had about 30 people in it. For a movie running 9pm-midnight that was released a decade ago. The Vue clearly knows how to get people out in a way that Dundrum@Movies has failed to comprehend. It is such a proper feeling cinema in fairness to the VueMasters.

Comment

Interesting Trivia. Martin Guitars are built in Nazareth, Pennsylvania I only know this from my own Martin guitar label. Now the song The Weight has the opening line, pulled in to Nazareth feeling about half past dead . Never gave it much thought he was talking about Nazareth, Pennsylvania especially since he picked the tune on his own Martin. They didnt just write songs back then. They crafted them..

Comment

Moving Hearts 1981

Was looking forward to their annual Christmas gig
                                                                                in the Olympia scheduled for this Sunday but it's been cancelled along with all future dates.

Presumably out of respect to grieve
                                                                                the death of Sinead O'Connor and her son Shane
                                                                                ​​​​​​​as Donal Lunny was his father.

Comment

I thought the LIV thing was dead?

Pretty impressive to find a sport more morally bankrupt than soccer tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Was looking forward to their annual Christmas gig
                                                                                    in the Olympia scheduled for this Sunday but it's been cancelled along with all future dates.

Presumably out of respect to grieve
                                                                                    the death of Sinead O'Connor and her son Shane
                                                                                    as Donal Lunny was his father.

I doubt that's the reason, Donal has been working away as busy as ever, saw him playing in the NCH a few weeks ago.

Comment

I thought the LIV thing was dead?

Pretty impressive to find a sport more morally bankrupt than soccer tbf.
                                                                                      FIFA have engineered it so that Saudi's are the only bidder for 2034 WC

Comment

FIFA have engineered it so that Saudi's are the only bidder for 2034 WC
                                                                                        But at least they have the decency to only grab soccer players who are past it, such as Ronaldo, for their makey-uppy league. Rahm is one of the current very best players in golf.

Comment

Saw a bit on Taskmaster yesterday from Julian Clary saying in passing that trampolines are great for your health. Bit of googling later and indeed - yes, they are - amazing for things like blood circulation. So this morning it was a quick coffee and then the first time on the trampoline in its two years of existence. It felt glorious! We need to make this a widespread thing as tbh it looked a bit odd being an adult on a trampoline while kids were passing by on their way to school.

Comment

But at least they have the decency to only grab soccer players who are past it, such as Ronaldo, for their makey-uppy league. Rahm is one of the current very best players in golf.
                                                                                            Not really. Some very good players in their prime have gone there in the last 6 months. Laporte, Mane, Brozovic, Kessie, Mahrez etc. And while you might argue that they are not top-top players, it’s probably only a matter of time before they go there too.

Soccer a far more corrupt game IMO, just need to look at how Russia and Qatar got the World Cups and how, as mentioned, Saudi will also.

Comment

Pretty good work to stitch all the clips together coherently.

Comment

Excellent Vegas trip. Thanks for all the recommendations. GF enjoyed the experience.

Strangely the highlights for LV were the road trips and hikes around Zion NP and Red Rock Canyon. Hiring the car was a great idea.

Did two off strip shows (Soul of Motown and V - The Ultimate Variety Show) and Mad Apple by Cirque. All excellent and recommended.

Day drinking and shopping lots of fun too. The Bellagio Conservatory Christmas display blew the GF's socks off.

Great place for golf. Played better than usual tee to green but couldn't handle the lightning fast greens.

Prices gone mad on the strip and around US in general. Averaging €35- for two drinks on strip. Happy hour hunting a must. They are 10 years behind when it comes to contactless payments. One fixed terminal for the whole place usually in bars and restaurants. Even when you phone tap they get you to sign a chit. Who's job is it to process all these little signed receipts??? Hilarious.

Accommodation in Wyndham Grand Desert fine but not worth it. Walls too thin to start with. Next time will be staying well off strip and driving in for the shows and stuff.

Usually not into bothering celebs but couldn't resist this one. He couldn't have been nicer about it.
                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Who is the celeb?

Comment

Guessing Peyton Manning?
                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Class! I suspect the reason they still do the chit is something to do with making sure you don't forget to tip. Do remember far too many bits of paper over there and tipping was the only thing i could think of at the time.

Comment

Nick Cave performs Rainy Night in Soho at MacGowan's funeral in Nenagh

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                          Guessing Peyton Manning?
                                                                                                          Yup. Must have been a big NFL do on in Aria. Loads of recognizable faces rocking in in tuxes. Probable in prep for Super Bowl in Vegas in Feb.
                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I am pretty sure Hellmuth originally posted this without any sense of comedy value it holds!

Players are now trying to make it a viral meme in the poker world

Comment

Just finished the last episode of 'Game of Gold'. By far the most enjoyable poker type content I have watches in ages. The episode before this one in which they played Indian Poker (Blind Mans Bluff) is very good. The more games adjacent to poker but not directly poker that require the players to work out strategies in real time the more fun I think it is to watch. The final table was cut/edited very well but at the end of the day its just another poker final table and I would prefer if they could have added a twist or something a little different. Jungle doing the characters I generally find quite cringe but I got a good laugh out of him as the leprechaun, Danny McFanny

Comment

Incredible the number of times the market is getting it wrong on photo finishes at Dundalk.

Edit: that one was actually much closer than I thought, nevertheless Racing TV were showing a freeze frame that I estimate was the bigger part of a meter past the line.

Comment

Theres a current theory doing the rounds that a recent downturn in ChatGPT performance on the GPT-4 'top level' model, where it is increasingly giving half-assed answers, might be due to the model having learned that people tend to do less work in December.

Comment

Like it's not a major theory but it's one of the possible theories as they're not quite sure why it's happening. Isn't that kinda mad.

Comment

Theres a current theory doing the rounds that a recent downturn in ChatGPT performance on the GPT-4 'top level' model, where it is increasingly giving half-assed answers, might be due to the model having learned that people tend to do less work in December.
                                                                                                                      Did you see this post? Its one of the more impressive wrapper that I have seen.
                                                                                                                      .

It will gather information on the business, schedule posts across social media, write reviews, respond to reviews, write blogs posts. Its a one man marketing machine. To demo it, type in the name of some random bar or restaurant you know, amazely.

Comment

This is dope too. Some reddit user claims it took him less than a hour to make with AI tools which is insane.

Comment

I'm with Mystery Guest... fuck rugby!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X