This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Would anyone - Dublin based ideally - like a bottle of incredibly expensive (but free to you) baijiu?
    I'd love it, but I'm guessing I'm excluded due to location. Have you given up booze again?

Comment

Would anyone - Dublin based ideally - like a bottle of incredibly expensive (but free to you) baijiu?
      Would love to add it to the drinks cabinet, but not Dublin based unfortunately.
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Anything in a size 11?

Comment

Now tv is a fair price for sky sports I think - 15 a month deal and sometimes better - if the greedy cunts want to take advantage of old people and idiots with the sat tv packages who can blame them
          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I feel there's no easy way of getting it out of Dublin!!
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I feel there's no easy way of getting it out of Dublin!!
              I volunteer to dispose of it: meet you next week

Comment

I'd take it off you, though don't think it wouldn't be drunk in an evening with a Taylor Swift soundtrack.
                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Random Curb

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I'm not sure how reflective of things is. The youth of today is overwhelming being shown anti-isreal propoganda on social media, tiktoc in particular. And the vast majority of on campus campaigning has been anti- Israel and in many cases pro Hamas. The threat about the petition is a reaction to how colleges have handled things so far.

Comment

That seems pretty straightforward grandstanding.
                      GOP congresswoman looks for gotcha's in answers that require nuance.
                      2 minutes looking into her (Rabid MAGA) easily shows where she is going here.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Reading that Disrupted book that was recommended on here. You would like to think that the stuff described within could only apply in the frothiest of tech startups but sadly I recognise quite a lot of the behaviours!
                        I'm (still) reading it. Its a weird one, as its now 15 years later or so and its kinda clear that while the book might have been hilarious at the time - its actually him was probably the problem. Like he comes across as an absolute prick, but entertaining. While a lot of the stuff that HubSpot was inventing at the time, that he was mocking, has now become mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Sure, they are playing to their base (MAGA) - but the university leaders are there for a reason.

Personally I imagine they are all well-meaning but they have allowed and enabled anti-semitic invective, under the umbrella of 'free speech', that wouldn't be tolerated against any other group.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm (still) reading it. Its a weird one, as its now 15 years later or so and its kinda clear that while the book might have been hilarious at the time - its actually him was probably the problem. Like he comes across as an absolute prick, but entertaining. While a lot of the stuff that HubSpot was inventing at the time, that he was mocking, has now become mainstream.
                            Only 8 or 9 years?

He might be a prick but he skewers the startup BS very well.

Also, Hubspot has still never made a profit. So I think his point that its entire reason for existence was to enrich its founders and VC investors is completely valid.

Also, the fact they had to fire their CMO for hacking the author and trying to steal an advance copy of the book is both funny but also indicative that their 'culture' was total horseshit.

Comment

Why not just answer YES OF COURSE . Sure in modern America it doesnt matter what the fk the truth is anymore Yes of course takes all the wind out of her sails .

Comment

Sure, they are playing to their base (MAGA) - but the university leaders are there for a reason.

Personally I imagine they are all well-meaning but they have allowed and enabled anti-semitic invective, under the umbrella of 'free speech', that wouldn't be tolerated against any other group.
                                criticism of Israel for indiscriminately killing civilians is not anti-semetism. this is what MAGA are trying to stop - people using their free speech rights to criticise Israel for killing civilians.

Comment

criticism of Israel for indiscriminately killing civilians is not anti-semetism. this is what MAGA are trying to stop - people using their free speech rights to criticise Israel for killing civilians.
                                  I agree. (With the wrinkle that some MAGA adherents are themselves pretty virulently anti-semitic)

But you might want to read the actual language used first.

Comment

I agree. (With the wrinkle that some MAGA adherents are themselves pretty virulently anti-semitic)

But you might want to read the actual language used first.
                                    I read the famous harvard letter from students that was criticised as anti-semitic and it was clearly not. i've no doubt though that some young people have stupid individual opinions. more broadly though the israelis have clearly tried to associated themselves with the far-right, which is odd as most jewish people in america are democrats. for example, up in belfast recently and was mad the amount of loyalist estates with israeli flags flying.

at this stage we're probably best just assuming that all accusations of anti-semitism are false, until Israel itself cops on and stops trying to bend the definition to incorporate valid (or even invalid) criticisms of a country. they are abusing that term and really don't deserve to be allowed to use it at this point as its an insult to the historical tragedy, slaughter, and abuse of jewish people.

Comment

I read the famous harvard letter from students that was criticised as anti-semitic and it was clearly not. i've no doubt though that some young people have stupid individual opinions. more broadly though the israelis have clearly tried to associated themselves with the far-right, which is odd as most jewish people in america are democrats. for example, up in belfast recently and was mad the amount of loyalist estates with israeli flags flying.

at this stage we're probably best just assuming that all accusations of anti-semitism are false, until Israel itself cops on and stops trying to bend the definition to incorporate valid (or even invalid) criticisms of a country. they are abusing that term and really don't deserve to be allowed to use it at this point as its an insult to the historical tragedy, slaughter, and abuse of jewish people.
                                      You have a massive blind spot on this topic.
                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

If most people have this 'blind spot', could it be that your minority view is actually the blind spot? As in, usually the majority view is more correct than the minority view?

Comment

That's not what's happening though

https://washingtonstand.com/news/hid...d-on-the-doors

There was testimony yesterday about the anti-semitism experienced on campus. It's not just "criticism of Israel".
                                          Last edited by Denny Crane; 06-12-23, 12:56.

Comment

If most people have this 'blind spot', could it be that your minority view is actually the blind spot? As in, usually the majority view is more correct than the minority view?
                                            Nah. Most people are clueless about most things and like it that way.
                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Anyone have full access to this our of purely purient interest: https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...708517355.html

Comment

Anyone have full access to this our of purely purient interest: https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...708517355.html

Comment

Thank you! Thats an interesting one. Had assumed that if you took odds then you got a choice of odds taken or starting SP. but seems thats something that has changed over the years.

Comment

Google just dropped Gemini.

Introducing Gemini: our largest and most capable AI model

Interesting to see how it codes, looks like they have made some big updates AlphaCode 2
                                                    Last edited by Opr; 06-12-23, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                      Google just dropped Gemini.

Introducing Gemini: our largest and most capable AI model

Interesting to see how it codes, looks like they have made some big updates AlphaCode 2
                                                      Everyday is a progress day!

Although I notice from this document: https://storage.googleapis.com/deepm...i_1_report.pdf On Page 7 it outlines the capabilities of Gemini Pro, which is the model that is actually released in Bard and for model-building, rather than the Gemini Ultra used in their comparison tables, and Gemini Pro is notably less capable than GPT-4 on nearly every category. I guess it therefore comes down to a price battle, as GPT4 is still the most capable model in release.

Comment

Everyday is a progress day!

Although I notice from this document: https://storage.googleapis.com/deepm...i_1_report.pdf On Page 7 it outlines the capabilities of Gemini Pro, which is the model that is actually released in Bard and for model-building, rather than the Gemini Ultra used in their comparison tables, and Gemini Pro is notably less capable than GPT-4 on nearly every category. I guess it therefore comes down to a price battle, as GPT4 is still the most capable model in release.
                                                        Yeah, I thought this was going to be more capable but the one which they are saying will be more capable still isn't due for release till January, Gemini ultra.

MS essentially made GPT4 free for coding yesterday as all the plus features are getting integrated into Co-Pilot.

The whole competition is great as it means no one is sitting on breakthroughs for too long. You could argue that isn't good form a safety prospective, but sure look it will be grand
                                                        Last edited by Opr; 06-12-23, 16:02.

Comment

Yeah, I thought this was going to be more capable but the one which they are saying will be more capable still isn't due for release till January, Gemini ultra.

MS essentially made GPT4 free for coding yesterday as all the plus features are getting integrated into Co-Pilot.

The whole competition is great as it means no one is sitting on breakthroughs for too long. You could argue that isn't good form a safety prospective, but sure look it will be grand
                                                          I feel history has never been led astray when we put all our faith in 25-year-old-america-techbros

Comment

Either way the demo is impressive but this looks real time rather than edited. If you can interact with it in real time in this way that is pretty huge. GPT has like a 3/4 second delay in responses.

Comment

Throw the fking fork Mike

Comment

Welcome to the War Times: Venezuela-Guyana. A war with a small potential to get nasty as there could be international involvement. While Venezuela will get no international support and only opposition because of their leader, they do actually have a legitimate claim to the land itself as it would be part of Venezuela if not for those meddling brits back in their high-faluting colonial days.

Comment

This is why I never understood the people trying to pick and invest in the winners. The money will be with the people who sold the shovels. There can be no long-term moat in AI

Comment

This is why I never understood the people trying to pick and invest in the winners. The money will be with the people who sold the shovels. There can be no long-term moat in AI
                                                                    Sam is getting into the shovel business!

Comment

I guess the bar is now set for what GPT-5 needs to be - a few percent better than Gemini Ultra. This could all become like mobile phones soon enough, with new models being a few percent better than the last generation. But those few percent being massive in terms of progress.

Comment

Welcome to the War Times: Venezuela-Guyana. A war with a small potential to get nasty as there could be international involvement. While Venezuela will get no international support and only opposition because of their leader, they do actually have a legitimate claim to the land itself as it would be part of Venezuela if not for those meddling brits back in their high-faluting colonial days.
                                                                        Presumably Mary Loo will be all over social media decrying the evils of Guyanese imperialism. I won't be able to get my Christmas shopping done with the protestors outside the GPO.

(All joking aside, there's probably plenty of loons out there stupid enough to protest on behalf of Venezuela)

Comment

Presumably Mary Loo will be all over social media decrying the evils of Guyanese imperialism. I won't be able to get my Christmas shopping done with the protestors outside the GPO.

(All joking aside, there's probably plenty of loons out there stupid enough to protest on behalf of Venezuela)
                                                                          Its not a Maduro newfangled idea, even though he is capitalising on it for political gain, it goes back to a claim from the very foundation of modern Venezuela well over a century ago. Simon Bolivar made it an existential claim back in his day. But yeah i do agree that anyone out protesting on behalf of Venezuela is likely a prick - and indeed anyone protesting on the other side on behalf of the residue of british colonialism. And there is indeed no shortage of pricks in this modern world.

Comment

The great good fantastic and fabulous news of the day is that Ireland is freeing itself form the shackles of global oil barons - with today representing the highest wind generation of all time on the Irish grid: https://www.smartgriddashboard.com/#all well done everyone.

Comment

Interesting that even though he lost he didn't have to pay PP costs. His case was "a novel one" according to the judge "and not without merit"
                                                                              Bit of a divergent comment from the information re bet "being obvious"

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

There a lot of that going around

source:
                                                                                Last edited by DeadParrot; 06-12-23, 18:35.
                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Equating "intifada" with genocide of Jews is quite a fucking stretch, and like so much else in this conflict is borne out of ignorance, misinformation or in this case, wilful misinterpretation.
                                                                                  She wanted a blanket answer to a question set up to simplify a broader subject and immediately open all the schools to lawsuits etc.
                                                                                  There is a valid reason all these folks are being careful with their wording and it's not because they hate Jewish people.

Comment

Its not a Maduro newfangled idea, even though he is capitalising on it for political gain, it goes back to a claim from the very foundation of modern Venezuela well over a century ago. Simon Bolivar made it an existential claim back in his day. But yeah i do agree that anyone out protesting on behalf of Venezuela is likely a prick - and indeed anyone protesting on the other side on behalf of the residue of british colonialism. And there is indeed no shortage of pricks in this modern world.
                                                                                    At least they play in cricket in Guyana. Which to my mind is what divides the civilised world from the rest.

Although the fact this categorises Australia as civilised may be an outlier.

Comment

Also cancelled my virgin yesterday as they wouldn't give me the same deal i can get by cancelling. It actually will cost them money since I am to keep the equipment and they'll send the same stuff out.

There a lot of that going around

source:
                                                                                      https://www.timesofisrael.com/livebl...hem-are-hamas/
                                                                                      So 15K killed, 10K of which are women/children and 5k are "Hamas" as they are males and over 18? Realistically much less Hamas killed (and most the ones that are will have been teenagers or barely above) and nearly all innocents. It's bad when even /r/worldnews call it ridiculous and that is the most pro Israel place I've seen. I saw a guy say he'd be afraid to say he is Jewish in Ireland for fear of being attacked.

More civilians have died there in a week than in the whole Ukraine war.
                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-12-23, 18:50.

Comment

Equating "intifada" with genocide of Jews is quite a fucking stretch, and like so much else in this conflict is borne out of ignorance, misinformation or in this case, wilful misinterpretation.
                                                                                        She wanted a blanket answer to a question set up to simplify a broader subject and immediately open all the schools to lawsuits etc.
                                                                                        There is a valid reason all these folks are being careful with their wording and it's not because they hate Jewish people.
                                                                                        One way to approach this is not to go for the dictionary defintion (uprising\rebellion) but say how do you understand the word 'intifada' and its manifestations?
                                                                                        1. Sit-down protests?
                                                                                        2. Stone-throwing youths?
                                                                                        3. Suicide bombs in cafes?
                                                                                        4. October 7th?
                                                                                        5. All of the above?
                                                                                        Some of those lead you down the road to actions by people whose stated aim is to kill every single Jew in Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Why not just answer YES OF COURSE . Sure in modern America it doesnt matter what the fk the truth is anymore Yes of course takes all the wind out of her sails .
                                                                                          Because it is a question of fact framed as opinion.
                                                                                          If they answer YES, they are lying to Congress, which is a crime.

Comment

Because it is a question of fact framed as opinion.
                                                                                            If they answer YES, they are lying to Congress, which is a crime.
                                                                                            TBH, all they trying to do is get something that can be packaged up as a 'gotcha' moment and published on social media. Most of SF's Dail questions are directed towards the same end.

Comment

So, to get an urgent passport issued requires paying €125 and filling in a paper form with both a civilian and a garda witness. I tried half-heartedly to suggest that given they already have our electronic application on file and have been waiting a month on issuing it - so could we not just pay the fee and have them issue that instead of having to go through a whole new paper-based process. But no cigar. It then ocurred to us that Morrocco is probably a renegade state of some sort, what with it being in the renegade state part of the world - look it up and *boom* Russian passport is golden and has long been good long before the EU passport was solid currency. It would make you wonder why so many places in the world are fighting so desperately to avoid having Russian passports.

Comment

One way to approach this is not to go for the dictionary defintion (uprising\rebellion) but say how do you understand the word 'intifada' and its manifestations?
                                                                                                1. Sit-down protests?
                                                                                                2. Stone-throwing youths?
                                                                                                3. Suicide bombs in cafes?
                                                                                                4. October 7th?
                                                                                                5. All of the above?
                                                                                                Some of those lead you down the road to actions by people whose stated aim is to kill every single Jew in Israel.
                                                                                                That's like saying one stated aim has ownership of a word or phrase. Much like "From the river to the sea..." can be stated as a call for Jewish Genocide. Much like "Free Palestine" can be interpreted as "Kill all the Jews".
                                                                                                It's a ridiculous stance to take.

Comment

TBH, all they trying to do is get something that can be packaged up as a 'gotcha' moment and published on social media. Most of SF's Dail questions are directed towards the same end.
                                                                                                  I agree, while something clearer like "of course clear and explicit language isn't allowed, but much of the alleged language was not clear and explicit in calling for genocide of Jewish people." would probably been better ,I'd say they all have high priced lawyers who advised to all stick to script.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                    . I saw a guy say he'd be afraid to say he is Jewish in Ireland for fear of being attacked.
                                                                                                    Depends where he is. I don't think that's that mad.

Jobs at that firm are amongst the most lucrative in the world.

Comment

So, to get an urgent passport issued requires paying €125 and filling in a paper form with both a civilian and a garda witness. I tried half-heartedly to suggest that given they already have our electronic application on file and have been waiting a month on issuing it - so could we not just pay the fee and have them issue that instead of having to go through a whole new paper-based process. But no cigar. It then ocurred to us that Morrocco is probably a renegade state of some sort, what with it being in the renegade state part of the world - look it up and *boom* Russian passport is golden and has long been good long before the EU passport was solid currency. It would make you wonder why so many places in the world are fighting so desperately to avoid having Russian passports.
                                                                                                      I don't think I would agree with yer man's recommendation.

That said, there is some dose of historical irony in advising a Jew not to relocate to the UK from Germany.....for personal safety reasons!

Comment

Depends where he is. I don't think that's that mad.

Jobs at that firm are amongst the most lucrative in the world.
                                                                                                        Thats a genuinely mad perspective from someone so successful - to be that removed from the reality on the ground. To think that a city as objectively safe as London, especially for someone on a top trader salary so in a much safer place to live, is not actually safe. Although presumably billionaires are quite removed from realities and probably are the ultimate media-driven perspectives people as they can't easily go out and about. But its still a bit mad that someone didn't explain to him that his perspective was bonkers.

Comment

GAqmNrWWIAANHG1?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg Time magazine went for the least future war crimie option, for a change #swiftie

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 06-12-23, 21:09.

Comment

Presumably what really happened was the candidate had a better offer from elsewhere, or wanted to maintain his decent local work-life balance back in Germany, and blew smoke up Gerko's ass, not realising he would then go and repeat it to the whole world. The German guy must be reading it at the moment morto for Alex.

Comment

When did Aston Villa start doping? I can't remember ever watching City get completely outplayed like that in recent times. That was unreal.

Comment

My favourite 'albums of the year' list - The Quietus - is out and local (Dublin) avant-folk quartet Lankum make number 1 out of 100 incredible pieces of musical art.

They're making top 10s all over the place with their most recent album, one of the most original 'reinventions' of modern Irish trad/folk since well, I dunno, in a long time (SP... help me out here)

Elsewhere, with Paul Lynch winning the Booker Prize just a couple of weeks ago (and Shane being gone, and Sinead being gone) we should be mindful, indeed proud, how much we (Dublin/Ireland) have to offer the world in art and how important art (music, literature, painting, food, whatever...) is for the human condition.

I saw David Holmes, Belfast DJ, producer, songwriter do a Q&A recently followed by a DJ set to promote his new album in The Sugar Club and believe his most recent single, 'It's over, If we run out of love' is a career high point, 30 years on from being a working class Nordie raver/party thrower via Hollywood soundtrack to lauded tier 1 producer - he told us how he had a full album in the can with Sinead and was hoping it would come out next year (but it was in the hands of her estate). She moved to Belfast to record with him and he did all the music.

It just thrills me how much great art is out there in this country and how much impact it is making in the world (well, at least the western world). Go out and grab some.

Find some heroes.

Comment

Thats a genuinely mad perspective from someone so successful - to be that removed from the reality on the ground. To think that a city as objectively safe as London, especially for someone on a top trader salary so in a much safer place to live, is not actually safe. Although presumably billionaires are quite removed from realities and probably are the ultimate media-driven perspectives people as they can't easily go out and about. But its still a bit mad that someone didn't explain to him that his perspective was bonkers.
                                                                                                                  As billionaires go he's closer to the ground than most. Pretty sure 99% of people have no idea who he is.

Maybe you're missing the context. The tweet is from Oct 21st same day as this:
                                                                                                                  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...estine-protest

He's not writing from a media-driven perspective, he's writing from a Jewish prospective.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 06-12-23, 23:08.

Comment

Boring question alert.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to get curtains?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

They're making top 10s all over the place with their most recent album, one of the most original 'reinventions' of modern Irish trad/folk since well, I dunno, in a long time (SP... help me out here)
                                                                                                                      Moving Hearts 1981

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

As billionaires go he's closer to the ground than most. Pretty sure 99% of people have no idea who he is.

Maybe you're missing the context. The tweet is from Oct 21st same day as this:
                                                                                                                        https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...estine-protest

He's not writing from a media-driven perspective, he's writing from a Jewish prospective.
                                                                                                                        Yeah - no, i get the context! I just can't quite comprehend how he thinks someone should make a multi-year decision based on a one-day news story.

It reminds me a bit of what I think is the greatest time-perspective-imbalance of all time: Rebecca Black and the song: Friday.

SPOILER

You might remember that back in 2011 Rebecca Black a young teenager released a song called 'Friday'. It was widely viewed as one of the worst song creations of all time.

But ... because it was viewed as *the* worst and not just one of the worst, it ended up making Rebecca millions by all accounts at the time.

The lesser known fact is what she did with that money. At around the same time the song took off there was a disastrous earthquake in Japan that dominated the news for a while. Rebecca decided that THIS VERY RICH COUNTRY needed her millions more than her and donated the proceeds from her song to a charity appeal for Japan.

Its such a bizarre story, her choosing to affect her future wellbeing so dramatically because of being distracted by a temporary news story that really nobody remembers any more. The ultimate time-perspective-imbalance.

In fairness to her, she has turned into a lovely person, so maybe the decent mindset has won out in the end. And we can celebrate her with a quick viewing of:

Comment

Braverman making her move to turn the Tories into a full blown Trumpist party tonight.

Election before end Q2 and Farrage party leader in 24
                                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X