This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    They can have Des Cahill though. We'll throw him in for free.
    Met him at a golf function years ago in Rathsallagh , I had a man U book in my car and when he was awarding our team the victory in the Pub Quiz thing in the clubhouse (top Quizzing that day) I publicly gave him the book as he’s not a fan . He took it graciously (that backfired lol) Thanks I’ll definitely read that - and was very chatty . Seemed a good sports (pardon the pun). Thanked me again as he was leaving. I said, you don’t have to take it .
    Shiiiiite lols. Nice bloke imo. The reverse of never meet your heros. As in Meet the B celebs you didn’t think twice about b4.

Comment

Tubridy is completely without charm and his radio programme was legitimately atrocious. "I am smart, I like books, Im a bit of a man-child, I like ice cream, and chips. Heres the newspapers...Isnt the world only gas altogether. Only 8 months to the toy show everybody. Anyway, heres someone with cancer...That was sad. See you tomorrow."

If thats what the Brits want they're welcome to it. At least we wont have to accidentally hear it anymore.

Comment

Speaking of RTE radio was listening to Marty Whelan in utter fascination a while back. He just rambles on and on without actually saying anything and then delivers his patented "sure as the fella says...insert random sentence that isn't an actual saying here"

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Met him at a golf function years ago in Rathsallagh , I had a man U book in my car and when he was awarding our team the victory in the Pub Quiz thing in the clubhouse (top Quizzing that day) I publicly gave him the book as he’s not a fan . He took it graciously (that backfired lol) Thanks I’ll definitely read that - and was very chatty . Seemed a good sports (pardon the pun). Thanked me again as he was leaving. I said, you don’t have to take it .
          Shiiiiite lols. Nice bloke imo. The reverse of never meet your heros. As in Meet the B celebs you didn’t think twice about b4.
          Most of those media folk are probably fairly sound and good company to be around I'm sure - probably wouldn't have gotten to where they are without strong people skills like that! Except for all the nepo babies at RTE I guess.

Comment

Dublin poker club is gone now due to parking issues.

It's a real shame, as for me it was a handy location and had lot of good structured tournaments and decent numbers.

I know for some the bonnington is not a popular venue, but for me it was decent enough with the two bars onsite and comfortable room to play poker in.
            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              I see Tubridy has proven the gobshites wrong - new host on Virgin Radio UK. That, plus the side work he will get, will easily exceed his Irish pay.
              He said he and Evans were “kindred spirits”, stemming from their shared loved of being on radio, “informing, enlightening and entertaining”.
              I also feel like a kindred spirit to all the people who have the same job as me.

Noel Kelly seems to be the real winner. How do you get into his line of work.

Comment

Jesus, South Africa are as choke-y at Cricket WCs as they are solid at Rugby ones. This hammering will be seared into their soul.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Got the architectural plans for the side-plot house today. Essentially we've been given two possible designs - each about 125sqm - and its now up to me to speak to people to decide what best to build.
                  A few general questions.
                  What's the total width of the site. It's hard to find something to scale off.
                  How thick are the external walls? For small houses, extra wall thickness will noticeably decreased internal area - but for the current market also have to consider the thermal performance of the walls.
                  Which way is north? I assume the left of the page, the right being south.

Design 1 ground floor:

vpYUZiXl.jpg
                  Front entry, WC, coat cupboard and stair collocated initially makes sense. But WC is a bit of a weird shape, but does seen to bent fit from the size.
                  House is right on the boundary, Hall, WC, Stairs, kitchen, utility is a of wall space without any windows. You'll need to consider the impact of that from the street.
                  Stairs looks too narrow either that or everything else is too wide. when planning small spaces, I think its critical to plan the size of everything in accurate sizes.

I don't mind the utility space. Although I wonder if you need to walk through it every day to get to your car.
                  Open plan is good. As is the kitchen Island. Dining area is oversized relative to the small living room. Enclosing the living room will make it feel smaller - but increase privacy (do kids retreat here or upstairs?)
                  Do you want that tree in your future neighbors backgarden?

Design 2 ground floor:

M0imxc0l.jpg
                  Hall is ridiculously large relative to the whole floor.
                  Stairs is seems narrow (relative to walls and doors). Enclosed stairs will be dark and cramped feeling.
                  Rear hallway is a waste of space. House is not big enough to have a rear entry that feel like front entry, nor does it need.

What do you think? The standard one, reluctantly, will probably appeal to a wider audience?
                  It's a small house on a small site. I think the right approach is to push for something non-standard. But I think the second one misses the mark.
                  Reads like somebody designing open plan, but actually hates open plan, and likely has never lived in an open plan dwelling. Open plan is studios, apartments, penthouses. You don't need hallways.
                  It's perfectly fine to have doors that enter directly into the living space - especially when its a door from a rear garden with (presumably) 2m high wall for privacy.

If it was two story, I'd say go loft style with an open stairs. But because it's 3 storey. You need the stairs to be enclosed in a fire protected hallway.
                  The external wall is a large mass. May be better to break it up with the entry on that side, with the (north?) facade squared off, The angled wall doesn't achieve anything other than deadspace in the hall and WC. Enter/Exit straight from the living space with a silly second hall. Think of Rachel and Monica's apartment in Friends (and every sitcom apartment.

Comment

The guys in the bonnington have put up some message saying close for the foreseeable. Some dispute over parking.

Edit - missed earlier post.

Comment

Jesus, South Africa are as choke-y at Cricket WCs as they are solid at Rugby ones. This hammering will be seared into their soul.
                      BBV SYSTEM CHECK COMPLETE.

ALL TESTS PASSED.

Comment

Anybody know good places for art prints? I need a few things for the walls.

Also having a disaster finding the right dimension oversized arch mirror since UK doesn't ship to Ireland any more.

Great feedback btw Mellor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

A few general questions.

very generous responses. Fair play

Comment

You’ve found Percival's 'The Reactor' - where some of our most loved garments prices become unstable and reduce for 24 hours only over Black Friday. Sign up to our newsletter to get the password, unlock the reactor and shop before the prices return to normal. Time is running out.

Code Sherlock = 50%
                            Coupon10 = further 10%

Bought meself a nice jacket for a decent discount
                            At least I thought it was nice
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Email in with the details of the work Xmas party

https://eventsquare.ie/experience/co...20prize%20wins.

FML
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Jesus Mellor, you're an absolute star to go into that level of detail. Genuinely - thats phenomenally nice of you.
                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                  https://www.percivalclo.com/collecti...ay-the-reactor

Code Sherlock = 50%
                                  Coupon10 = further 10%

Is it a secret? Asks for a password or something, no coats displayed anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Is it a secret? Asks for a password or something, no coats displayed anyway.
                                    Password is SHERLOCK then
                                    Coupon10 at the checkout

Comment

Email in with the details of the work Xmas party

https://eventsquare.ie/experience/co...20prize%20wins.

FML
                                      Maybe you could quietly crack the code while supping a few pints in a snug somewhere.

Comment

BBV SYSTEM CHECK COMPLETE.

ALL TESTS PASSED.
                                        Or not, but was a good swong while it lasted. Hopefully the Aussies actually give India a game in the final.

Comment

Password is SHERLOCK then
                                          Coupon10 at the checkout
                                          Case sensitive it seems. Nothing there I'd deign to wear anyway after a quick look.

Comment

Maybe you could quietly crack the code while supping a few pints in a snug somewhere.
                                            It's gonna be all get a photo with this statue kind of shite.
                                            Apparently we all have to wear hi vis as well to identify us on the hunt.

Id be fucking mortified walking around town like a short speccy hairy aneka fucking rice.
                                            I'll be allowing one of the other teams to win I think

​​​​

Comment

Like the standard argument is that these people have zero talent that would fly outside of Ireland, that its just some local cabal ripping us off through special connections. Yet, in the very first test case of this, the person in question has walked into one of the bigger radio slots in a country 15 times our size.
                                              The people who hounded him out did the state some service.
                                              good luck to him don’t care whether he succeeds or fails as long as I don’t have to foot the bill certainly looks like he is expected to work a lot more hours
                                              I think he would appeal to a certain type of dimwit that they have in large supply in the UK though so may succeed - don’t have a clue what demographic of the slot he’s jumping into is
                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Must have a look at this- looks like pure unintentional partridge/brass eye
                                                nearly want to become a denier just from having watched the trailer
                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                  https://m.independent.ie/entertainme...397532406.html
                                                  Rigger said it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen, is organising a watch party. PM Lazare for details
                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Caught the last 40mins or so. Did have a good lol at it being a real do gooder look at us show and then they're herding immigrants into Spike Island under armed Guards and saying it was necessary. Some lad looking wistfully at Cobh saying I'll get to the mainland some day

utter shite it was

Comment

https://www.percivalclo.com/collecti...ay-the-reactor

Code Sherlock = 50%
                                                      Coupon10 = further 10%

Haha, cheers man, got excited there as I need new threads. Clicked on Knitwear and saw the jumpers were reduced by 50% to only €160.

Don't have €320 to spend on a jumper so that was great.

Jumped into the White T shirts section as I don't have €160 to spend on a jumper and wahoo they were reduced to only €55.

Wanna go halfs on socks?
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

On a related media note, I watched Greenland recently and really enjoyed it, much scarier than any horror film I've had the misfortune to sit through.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                          The guys in the bonnington have put up some message saying close for the foreseeable. Some dispute over parking.

Edit - missed earlier post.
                                                          JP spending a decent six figure sum on a new spot opening just before or after Xmas - if ye can afford the Toll the parking is Free

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

JP spending a decent six figure sum on a new spot opening just before or after Xmas - if ye can afford the Toll the parking is Free
                                                            Not that I'm likely to go (anywhere to play poker) but where is it? Still Tallaght?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Haha, cheers man, got excited there as I need new threads. Clicked on Knitwear and saw the jumpers were reduced by 50% to only €160.

Don't have €320 to spend on a jumper so that was great.

Jumped into the White T shirts section as I don't have €160 to spend on a jumper and wahoo they were reduced to only €55.

Wanna go halfs on socks?
                                                              I rarely if ever buy anything for meself bar jocks and socks.
                                                              €140 on a jacket isn't world ending, but yeah, some mental things on there.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Not that I'm likely to go (anywhere to play poker) but where is it? Still Tallaght?
                                                                Just beside tallaght stadium
                                                                unit just in at the back of the Maldron hotel

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                  Speaking of RTE radio was listening to Marty Whelan in utter fascination a while back. He just rambles on and on without actually saying anything and then delivers his patented "sure as the fella says...insert random sentence that isn't an actual saying here"
                                                                  That's what makes him what he is, a god amongst men.
                                                                  Marty is a complete content free zone with a mellifluous voice that can placate the most jagged nerves, he is consummate broadcaster of our time.
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Marty is a complete content free zone with a mellifluous voice that can placate the most jagged nerves, he is consummate broadcaster of our time.
                                                                    It's the equivalent of listening to TMS. it doesn't matter at all what they're saying, it's all about the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

He doing a ladies night?
                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Debbie Does Drimnagh
                                                                        F_FYCTVXQAEcS06?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

He's like an old uncle trying to get you into classical music . I do like his slow ol fogie zeal on Lyric fm after you blunder onto SPIN fm and quickly turn off. A bit of Debussy on the M50 to quell the carnage.

Yes I'm old now .

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Just beside tallaght stadium
                                                                            unit just in at the back of the Maldron hotel
                                                                            When is opening night ?

Comment

When is opening night ?
                                                                              Tbc

think Diceman’s doing the ribbon cutting as he was voted South Dublin Poker player of the year just recently

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Tbc

think Diceman’s doing the ribbon cutting as he was voted South Dublin Poker player of the year just recently
                                                                                Rigged imo

Comment

How are your new shirts Raoul? I see they have 20% off

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                    How are your new shirts Raoul? I see they have 20% off
                                                                                    I have another three landing tomorrow. Happy with the materials and craftmanship so far although I think you need to wear them 10 times+ to be sure.

Comment

I have another three landing tomorrow. Happy with the materials and craftmanship so far although I think you need to wear them 10 times+ to be sure.
                                                                                      Switched to profuomo about 2 years ago and now wear them exclusively, best durability and fit of any shirt I’ve bought.

Comment

Just on sales, I’ll have to throw it up the next time Peter Millar have their sale. It’s always very good, happens around August each year.

Week 1 is 30% off and by week 2 or 3, it’s up to 50% but its not the bottom of the barrel or golf only.

Comment

Someone ringing the phone . I couldnt understand the name so asked to spell it out Ok , H for HORACIO . oh HORACIO ? that's your name? no thats the 1st letter . I lost it as did mR H . Through howls hes saying , it was the 1st thing I thought of . Ahh its the little things .

Comment

Someone ringing the phone . I couldnt understand the name so asked to spell it out Ok , H for HORACIO . oh HORACIO ? that's your name? no thats the 1st letter . I lost it as did mR H . Through howls hes saying , it was the 1st thing I thought of . Ahh its the little things .
                                                                                            Horatio from these parts obv

Comment

I haven't been following this closely but given Everton just got a 10 point deduction surely City will face similar sanctions? It has been applied to this season for Everton, is that likely to happen to City? I am purely thinking in terms of having a bet on Liverpool/Arsenal for the premiership.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                I haven't been following this closely but given Everton just got a 10 point deduction surely City will face similar sanctions? It has been applied to this season for Everton, is that likely to happen to City? I am purely thinking in terms of having a bet on Liverpool/Arsenal for the premiership.
                                                                                                Watch out for the Rule 4

Everton will successfully appeal this. My guess to 5 points .

Comment

Watch out for the Rule 4

Everton will successfully appeal this. My guess to 5 points .
                                                                                                  Agree on the appeal but City surely with face an even bigger points deduction. Given I am a Liverpool fan the chance of a value bet on them was too much so took some 13/2 as clearly others have been having the same thought as its 5/1 with many places now.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Agree on the appeal but City surely with face an even bigger points deduction. Given I am a Liverpool fan the chance of a value bet on them was too much so took some 13/2 as clearly others have been having the same thought as its 5/1 with many places now.
                                                                                                    City face it but they've 100 plus charges The PL positioning themselves Doubt with Citys Pull this is solved this season. Might start 2024 in Championship OR breakaway League gets a boost//kickstart . Murky waters atm.

Comment

City face it but they've 100 plus charges The PL positioning themselves Doubt with Citys Pull this is solved this season. Might start 2024 in Championship OR breakaway League gets a boost//kickstart . Murky waters atm.
                                                                                                      They hopefully win it then and get retroactively striped of the title on their way down. Liverpool Champions after finishing second. I'll take it

Comment

Horatio from these parts obv
                                                                                                        Was Holgar . Not sure I heard that before especially with a Dublin accent.

Comment

The Times think it could be a 30 point deduction or auto relegation.

Relegation now looks very real prospect for Man City and Chelsea

Given the sanction handed out to Everton, the threat of a 30-point deduction or automatic relegation from the Premier League would look to be very real for both City and Chelsea should charges be proved in an independent regulatory commission.

Comment

Dad

My dad sat in his green chair
                                                                                                            Enjoying his garden
                                                                                                            A simple pleasure

He loved to plant
                                                                                                            And tend and watch them
                                                                                                            grow and renew

My most cherished memory
                                                                                                            Helping him with the garden
                                                                                                            My favourite thing to do

And as I grew
                                                                                                            From a boy to a young man
                                                                                                            He watched over me too

Comment

Sam Altman fired from OpenAI - nobody seems to know why

Comment

I don't even care if this isn't true, it is just amazing!

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

If you say “beer can” with an Australian accent, it sounds like you’re saying “bacon” with a Jamaican accent.

Try it.

Comment

Got the architectural plans for the side-plot house today. Essentially we've been given two possible designs - each about 125sqm - and its now up to me to speak to people to decide what best to build.

Have the local estate agent arranged to review the plans to see what, if built, would maximise the value of the house. He's an absolute bollix from my previous interactions with him, so thats why he was my go-to person. Essentially his role will be to market the plot as the nearby Honeypark but with individual flair.

Called around to the house behind to speak to the owner to see his thoughts. He seems grand tbh, but with some specific requests around sightlines, minimising over overlooking features while recognising that you can't get rid of overlooking fully for obvious reasons. Calling around to him and his wife next Monday to go over the plans. We'll go with opaque glass for the third floor to minimise some of the interference there.

Feels like a great set of designs, in fairness to the architect - like a modern house feels like it fits more into 120sqm than an older house fits into 140sqm. Although they are not being shy with charging for the privilege (10k to get it submitted to planning, 7.9k ex vat), but they concentrate on designing houses in Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire, have a solid success rate in planning, and seems like a really nice vibe to their design ethic.

One choice is around the ground floor, where these two space alternatives are proposed. He was saying the first option is more commercial - as in, it looks like what a lot of people would expect, but he feels the second one is a better option. Essentially the idea of the second one is that it recognises that the back entrance (from the car) is almost more likely to be used compared to the front entrance, so each are given the same priority in feel - that you always enter a hall-type structure. Whereas in the traditional first design if you enter through the front it feels like entering the front and you enter the back you feel like you are going in a back secondary route. Just thought it was an interesting concept.

Design 1 ground floor:

vpYUZiXl.jpg

Design 2 ground floor:

M0imxc0l.jpg

What do you think? The standard one, reluctantly, will probably appeal to a wider audience?
                                                                                                                    First one if you ever want to be able to close the door and have sex on the couch again.

Comment

TIME FOR THIS AGAIN

SPOILER
                                                                                                                      In the Spirit of Monty Phyton

It must be incredibly frustrating as an Islamic terrorist not to have your views and motives taken seriously by the societies you terrorize, even after you have explicitly and repeatedly stated them. Even worse, those on the regressive left, in their endless capacity for masochism and self-loathing, have attempted to shift blame inwardly on themselves, denying the terrorists even the satisfaction of claiming responsibility.
                                                                                                                      It's like a bad Monty Python sketch:
                                                                                                                      "We did this because our holy texts exhort us to to do it."
                                                                                                                      "No you didn't."
                                                                                                                      "Wait, what? Yes we did..."
                                                                                                                      "No, this has nothing to do with religion. You guys are just using religion as a front for social and geopolitical reasons."
                                                                                                                      "WHAT!? Did you even read our official statement? We give explicit Quranic justification. This is jihad, a holy crusade against pagans, blasphemers, and disbelievers."
                                                                                                                      "No, this is definitely not a Muslim thing. You guys are not true Muslims, and you defame a great religion by saying so."
                                                                                                                      "Huh!? Who are you to tell us we're not true Muslims!? Islam is literally at the core of everything we do, and we have implemented the truest most literal and honest interpretation of its founding texts. It is our very reason for being."
                                                                                                                      "Nope. We created you. We installed a social and economic system that alienates and disenfranchises you, and that's why you did this. We're sorry."
                                                                                                                      "What? Why are you apologizing? We just slaughtered you mercilessly in the streets. We targeted unwitting civilians - disenfranchisement doesn't even enter into it!"
                                                                                                                      "Listen, it's our fault. We don't blame you for feeling unwelcome and lashing out."
                                                                                                                      "Seriously, stop taking credit for this! We worked really hard to pull this off, and we're not going to let you take it away from us."
                                                                                                                      "No, we nourished your extremism. We accept full blame."
                                                                                                                      "OMA, how many people do we have to kill around here to finally get our message across?"

Comment

I don't even care if this isn't true, it is just amazing!

GL today.
                                                                                                                        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

GL today.
                                                                                                                          Plenty of Mr Burns potential if they get a result.

"Excellent Smithers....excellent."

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X