This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Take pictures like this and put them on every screen used by Irish eyeballs.
    Yes, that is the head of SF with the head of Hamas.

35066440-792d-437c-b54d-5a925b4c3e56.jpg

Yeah, I don't think we should put you in charge of counter-marketing. That looks vastly cooler than a pic of Leo with Macron.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I read recently that one of the first things an IDF soldier is taught in training was to disobey an order/command that is deemed unlawful.

It was in relation to a story of how Sharon's orders to shoot down a commercial airliner over the Med (targeting Arrafat) were thwarted and sabotaged internally.

Maybe they've lost that softness they had in the 80s.

On that, another thing I learnt recently was the effect the influx of Russian Jews has had on Israeli society since the fall of the Soviet Union has been profound.

Apparently they are in general extreme right wing and hawkish.

Yeah - they mainly vote for Netanyahu also, or other extremist right-wing parties that go into coalition with Netanyahu. Its why Israel was so hesitant about being vociferous on Russia-Ukraine. They did eventually send a bit of weaponry, but after making their reluctance clear and well after all the other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Yeah - they mainly vote for Netanyahu also, or other extremist right-wing parties that go into coalition with Netanyahu. Its why Israel was so hesitant about being vociferous on Russia-Ukraine. They did eventually send a bit of weaponry, but after making their reluctance clear and well after all the other countries.
        That's changing now though given Russia's alliance with Iran.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

That's changing now though given Russia's alliance with Iran.

Its literally his voting base. It can't be changing, unless he finds a new set of voters.

Just lean into the fact that you are now on #TeamRussia in global genocide.

Comment

Would anyone judge us for seeing the picture here and instantly thinking the 11/4 on The Pogues being Christmas Number 1 is absolute money in the bank?

Comment

Its literally his voting base. It can't be changing, unless he finds a new set of voters.

Just lean into the fact that you are now on #TeamRussia in global genocide.
              I meant Israel's ambiguity towards Russia.

That will be gone now, given the BFF status of Iran and Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                Opr or anyone else who knows.

What’s the best way to sense check some code in ChatGPT or anything similar?

I have a piece which I know is wrong because output plot is completely off but can’t figure out what’s going on.

As mentioned before, I’m just getting wordy generic responses which aren’t very helpful.
                you probably need to be more concise in your prompt.
                Explain the expected result and actual result and probe what might causing the latter?
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

That might not garner the reaction you'd hope for!
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

OR they didn’t want the word Hypocrisy emblazoned on their flag.
                    Really why did they build all those hospitals and schools over Hamas tunnels, a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Opr or anyone else who knows.

What’s the best way to sense check some code in ChatGPT or anything similar?

I have a piece which I know is wrong because output plot is completely off but can’t figure out what’s going on.

As mentioned before, I’m just getting wordy generic responses which aren’t very helpful.
                      If you are using the paid version of GPT you can upload the output plot and just talk to it about what is wrong and what you need it to do instead and get it to output the code.

Comment

Would anyone judge us for seeing the picture here and instantly thinking the 11/4 on The Pogues being Christmas Number 1 is absolute money in the bank?
                        Could be a good bet unless Hamas and Israel bring out a bit of a banging tune regarding Jesus and his trip to Bethlehem

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

That might not garner the reaction you'd hope for!
                          I'm being tongue in cheek obv but you get the idea - Trumpian populism works so you have to fight fire with fire.

Comment

Lazare r they your Curtins in the background
                            u always said u fitted for some well known clients

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Could be a good bet unless Hamas and Israel bring out a bit of a banging tune regarding Jesus and his trip to Bethlehem
                              " I saw mummy kissing HamasClaus, underneath the ... "

Comment

Bonus B-side "Stop ... Hamas Time"

Comment

I heard in John Oliver's piece that Kmart had to pull these after apparently no one seeing the obvious when it went to shelves.

Comment

Fuck off Safer Gambling Week, and take Safe Search blurring with you!

Comment

Vietnam is class.

Comment

Anything decent recently TV show wise? It feels like an age since I have seen anything of interest worth diving into. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising given covid and then the writer strike.
                                        Hopefully AI will be outputting them for fun every other day in a couple of years

Slow Horses is back at the end of this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                          I heard in John Oliver's piece that Kmart had to pull these after apparently no one seeing the obvious when it went to shelves.

WTF is that, a bag for your Christmas ham?
                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Anything decent recently TV show wise? It feels like an age since I have seen anything of interest worth diving into. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising given covid and then the writer strike.
                                            Hopefully AI will be outputting them for fun every other day in a couple of years

New TV shows are shit, watch moar old stuff:
                                            The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (TV Series 1981) - IMDb
                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Actually, wonder which is older, Our Hitch or the TV show?
                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Just started True Detective S03 and it seems decent. S04 out early 2024 too.

Comment

Last Christmas I gave you Hamas and the very next day , you blew it away

Comment

" I saw mummy kissing HamasClaus, underneath the ... "
                                                    Is the missing Tunnel

Comment

Frosty the (Geopolitical Relations) Snowman

Comment

Another day another profession bites the dust

Google DeepMind’s AI Weather Forecaster Handily Beats a Global Standard | WIRED

Better yet, the DeepMind model could be run on a laptop and spit out a forecast in under a minute, while the conventional models require a giant supercomputer.

Comment

Watched The Fall of the House of Usher after it was recommended here. Really really good and i’m not usually a fan of the genre.

Watched Midnight Mass then from the same creator and again very good.

I’ll probably leave Slow Horses for a few weeks until all episodes released.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Watched The Fall of the House of Usher after it was recommended here. Really really good and i’m not usually a fan of the genre.

Watched Midnight Mass then from the same creator and again very good.

I’ll probably leave Slow Horses for a few weeks until all episodes released.
                                                            Both of those were highly enjoyable and i watch very little TV these days . HOU & MM

Comment

I enjoyed Dark Winds
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Remember someone at the time we were buying saying - try to buy from probate where theres likely a few kids who are inheritors. To the inheritors they just don't have the same incentive to push up the price as everything extra is getting split 3/4/5 ways - so holding out for an extra 20k is really just 5k at the end of the day to each person, maybe less if theres a tax angle. They really just want the money quickly and don't have the same value from eeking out additional gains - thats who you want to be negotiating against.

We actually had that - where we agreed a certain amount, bank valuer came back and said (wrongly) it was worth less, and then had to go back to the inheritors and say - would you mind knocking 20k off the price, which they agreed within a day. It was four adult-kids spread all over the world and I suspect they just didn't care enough about the few grand they would each end up having if they held strong.
                                                                Turns out it is probate which I guess puts a different spin on it. Agent claims all the paperwork is done. One time plz dealer.

Comment

Got the architectural plans for the side-plot house today. Essentially we've been given two possible designs - each about 125sqm - and its now up to me to speak to people to decide what best to build.

Have the local estate agent arranged to review the plans to see what, if built, would maximise the value of the house. He's an absolute bollix from my previous interactions with him, so thats why he was my go-to person. Essentially his role will be to market the plot as the nearby Honeypark but with individual flair.

Called around to the house behind to speak to the owner to see his thoughts. He seems grand tbh, but with some specific requests around sightlines, minimising over overlooking features while recognising that you can't get rid of overlooking fully for obvious reasons. Calling around to him and his wife next Monday to go over the plans. We'll go with opaque glass for the third floor to minimise some of the interference there.

Feels like a great set of designs, in fairness to the architect - like a modern house feels like it fits more into 120sqm than an older house fits into 140sqm. Although they are not being shy with charging for the privilege (10k to get it submitted to planning, 7.9k ex vat), but they concentrate on designing houses in Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire, have a solid success rate in planning, and seems like a really nice vibe to their design ethic.

One choice is around the ground floor, where these two space alternatives are proposed. He was saying the first option is more commercial - as in, it looks like what a lot of people would expect, but he feels the second one is a better option. Essentially the idea of the second one is that it recognises that the back entrance (from the car) is almost more likely to be used compared to the front entrance, so each are given the same priority in feel - that you always enter a hall-type structure. Whereas in the traditional first design if you enter through the front it feels like entering the front and you enter the back you feel like you are going in a back secondary route. Just thought it was an interesting concept.

Design 1 ground floor:

vpYUZiXl.jpg

Design 2 ground floor:

M0imxc0l.jpg

What do you think? The standard one, reluctantly, will probably appeal to a wider audience?

Comment

Got the architectural plans for the side-plot house today. Essentially we've been given two possible designs - each about 125sqm - and its now up to me to speak to people to decide what best to build.

Have the local estate agent arranged to review the plans to see what, if built, would maximise the value of the house. He's an absolute bollix from my previous interactions with him, so thats why he was my go-to person. Essentially his role will be to market the plot as the nearby Honeypark but with individual flair.

Called around to the house behind to speak to the owner to see his thoughts. He seems grand tbh, but with some specific requests around sightlines, minimising over overlooking features while recognising that you can't get rid of overlooking fully for obvious reasons. Calling around to him and his wife next Monday to go over the plans. We'll go with opaque glass for the third floor to minimise some of the interference there.

Feels like a great set of designs, in fairness to the architect - like a modern house feels like it fits more into 120sqm than an older house fits into 140sqm. Although they are not being shy with charging for the privilege (10k to get it submitted to planning, 7.9k ex vat), but they concentrate on designing houses in Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire, have a solid success rate in planning, and seems like a really nice vibe to their design ethic.

One choice is around the ground floor, where these two space alternatives are proposed. He was saying the first option is more commercial - as in, it looks like what a lot of people would expect, but he feels the second one is a better option. Essentially the idea of the second one is that it recognises that the back entrance (from the car) is almost more likely to be used compared to the front entrance, so each are given the same priority in feel - that you always enter a hall-type structure. Whereas in the traditional first design if you enter through the front it feels like entering the front and you enter the back you feel like you are going in a back secondary route. Just thought it was an interesting concept.

What do you think? The standard one, reluctantly, will probably appeal to a wider audience?
                                                                    If you’re going through the hassle of a hands on approach like deciding upon what the plans will look like, consulting neighbours, dealing with planners and so on, would it not make more sense for you to simply design a house for you and your family from the ground up and sell your current house once it’s complete?

Comment

If you’re going through the hassle of a hands on approach like deciding upon what the plans will look like, consulting neighbours, dealing with planners and so on, would it not make more sense for you to simply design a house for you and your family from the ground up and sell your current house once it’s complete?
                                                                      Did just make the mistake of showing the plans to the daughter and it feels like it would be like taking away a puppy from her to not build her this house, so delighted was she. Might have a think about it. The wife is risk-averse by nature, so theres a bit of persuasion to be done on that front. My own instinct tends to be to take the most exotic approach, on the grounds theres the most value in that approach, and assume it'll all work itself out.

Comment

Design 2 looks like mostly hall?
                                                                        Also doesn't really make sense if you are using the back entrance (ooh matron) a lot more for the coats room to be far away from that entrance?

Secondly, is an open plan kitchen / dining / living room actually such a great idea?
                                                                        Maybe if your kids are very small and you want to keep an eye on them while the dinner is cooking? But otherwise surely you don't want to hear pots and pans clattering and banging while someone is getting voted off in a tense tribal council?
                                                                        ​​​​​
                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I fixed that for you

IUntitled.png
                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

This looks like science fiction stuff but in the keynote they mention it's already deployed with Siemens and a few other major companies. This is HoloLens glasses with Co-Pilot.

Edit - I haven't listened to the podcast but this is a really interesting comment around the creation of an underlying AR universe.

I was just watching a YouTube podcast today where the guys interviewed the CEO of Polycam. He was talking about this very thing: AR cloud. A digital layer is being created on our reality. Their Gaussian Splat technology is being used to create the digital map where that layer will be placed. What a fascinating new world we are moving into.
                                                                            Last edited by Opr; 15-11-23, 22:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                              Design 2 looks like mostly hall?
                                                                              Also doesn't really make sense if you are using the back entrance (ooh matron) a lot more for the coats room to be far away from that entrance?

Secondly, is an open plan kitchen / dining / living room actually such a great idea?
                                                                              Maybe if your kids are very small and you want to keep an eye on them while the dinner is cooking? But otherwise surely you don't want to hear pots and pans clattering and banging while someone is getting voted off in a tense tribal council?
                                                                              ​​​​​
                                                                              ha yeah on the open space. I guess its that modern continental style - where the ground level is proper shared living, rather than a place where people carve out their individual existences. Like it as a general principle.

His big thing was all about glass, and that does seem to be the modern feel from looking around the neighbourhood and how the new in-fills come across. That the use of full panes of glass from bottom to top creates this almost Scandie sense that you are also part of the outside.

Comment

Halls should be removed as much as possible, second one is a disaster for them imo. First is much better but also removing that wall SP did is a good thing in the second, but I'd probably think of it a lot and change it up if it was me. Coats should be near main entrance, small coat furniture piece that you can buy near the other entrance. In the first I'd make the bathroom bigger instead of a coat area, and have a shower, having main coats over at utility, and something to hang them on inside the front door in the weird triangle corner that you can't use well. Just because I love having showers everywhere, I have a wetroom shower downstairs with one office/bedroom down there too, may make less sense without that down there.

Open plan is definitely the way to go, good design is to not have it in a square, so an L shape or varied level and such to segregate areas is perfect. Can use sliding doors on the corner of the L too. More glass walls and light the better, obv more expensive though! I watch house design reviews on tiktok, and grand design every day, bit of an expert.
                                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 16-11-23, 00:12.

Comment

Reading Disrupted by Dan Lyons about his time working in Hubspot (in advance of a chat with Hubspot tomorrow as coincidences would have it).

It does seem like some people struggle to fit into corporate environments.

L6tptY8l.jpg
                                                                                  What did he say?

Comment

Design 1 ground floor:

vpYUZiXl.jpg

Design 2 ground floor:

M0imxc0l.jpg

I'm at work now, will respond in more detail later. Neither is very efficient imo. Second might be non-complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

What did he say?
                                                                                      he comes across as a bit of a dick throughout the book tbh, in this particular case it was something about personality types and how in real life, someone in a training video they'd just watched, would be the type of person he would like to punch.

Comment

he comes across as a bit of a dick throughout the book tbh, in this particular case it was something about personality types and how in real life, someone in a training video they'd just watched, would be the type of person he would like to punch.
                                                                                        He said the quiet part out loud.

What's the context?

Comment

ha yeah on the open space. I guess its that modern continental style - where the ground level is proper shared living, rather than a place where people carve out their individual existences. Like it as a general principle.

His big thing was all about glass, and that does seem to be the modern feel from looking around the neighbourhood and how the new in-fills come across. That the use of full panes of glass from bottom to top creates this almost Scandie sense that you are also part of the outside.
                                                                                          As one who will shortly have two of them, let me advise you that teenagers don't like open spaces at all. It is not their natural habitat.

Comment

Inspired by HHs home improvements plan, I moved the sofa and chairs around to ensure the jump from sofa to beanbag has minimal risk of injury. . I like the new arrangement v much. No photos though as I’m not secure enough in my domestic preferences to take any criticism on the subject. OK maybe when the Chair and the sofa extensions are fully out they kind of touch causing some lateral instability that could cause a toppling but it’s a rare enough occurrence where this will happen, so I can bear this slight flaw. The old layout had the Ikea chair wooden arm as a potential head injury hazard plus the TV stand has a corner that could take an eye out of the Sofa Jump went dramatically off piste This new layout has room for an off piste jump with low exposure to injury. I tried it 6 times last night after 7 guinness to the tune of Jimmy Jimmy by the undertones , safe landing on each occasion although some slight nausea was experienced after the 4th jump.

Comment

He said the quiet part out loud.

What's the context?
                                                                                              52-year-old journalist, head of tech journalist for Newsweek, gets fired and tries his shot at being a techbro where the average age of the workforce is 21. Hilarity ensues.

Comment

52-year-old journalist, head of tech journalist for Newsweek, gets fired and tries his shot at being a techbro where the average age of the workforce is 21. Hilarity ensues.
                                                                                                Presume it's a gimmick rather than a 'real job'?

Comment

I see Tubridy has proven the gobshites wrong - new host on Virgin Radio UK. That, plus the side work he will get, will easily exceed his Irish pay.

Comment

Presume it's a gimmick rather than a 'real job'?
                                                                                                    no, no, its a real thing. Newsweek downsized, his wife can't work due to illness, young twins, no savings, needs to find a job. Only on page 80, but it definitely starts with him trying to make money.

Comment

I see Tubridy has proven the gobshites wrong - new host on Virgin Radio UK. That, plus the side work he will get, will easily exceed his Irish pay.
                                                                                                      The new Terry Wogan, without the charm or wit.
                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

The new Terry Wogan, without the charm or wit.
                                                                                                        Yeah, I think thats maybe a problem with us rather than him and he will absolutely fly it in the UK. The man held down the biggest TV show in the country and one of the biggest radio shows and we've managed to assume he has zero talent. That will all have been tested by Virgin to see will it play with the local audience and they've presumably worked out that the audience will lap it all up. There's a long list of people we've assumed have no talent who've then gone abroad to show they are best-in-class.

Comment

Good. I'm not a fan myself (being forced to watch the Toy Show for years will do that to you) but he 100% did nothing wrong in the RTE pay fiasco and deserves another chance on the air.

Comment

Like the standard argument is that these people have zero talent that would fly outside of Ireland, that its just some local cabal ripping us off through special connections. Yet, in the very first test case of this, the person in question has walked into one of the bigger radio slots in a country 15 times our size.

Comment

Securing a Job is one thing but if the ratings drop he's history. I dont think he has the charm at all for the UK . Turbs has limited appeal.

Comment

That said, thank feck with don't have a Chris Evans over here.
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

The Killer got some solid reviews on here and rightly so. Bears all the hallmarks of top quality filmmaking. Beautifully shot with some frames clearly designed as a nod to the original comic book. Pacing won't be for everyone. Fassbender class as the factitious psychopath killer. Its threatening gloomy feel helped a lot by the soundtrack. Recommended.
                                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

That said, thank feck with don't have a Chris Evans over here.
                                                                                                                    Or worse, Chris Moyles :shudder:
                                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Or worse, Chris Moyles :shudder:
                                                                                                                      What was the deal with him?
                                                                                                                      He seems to shine brightly around the time of Gervais etc. and then disappeared completely?
                                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                        The Killer got some solid reviews on here and rightly so. Bears all the hallmarks of top quality filmmaking. Beautifully shot with some frames clearly designed as a nod to the original comic book. Pacing won't be for everyone. Fassbender class as the factitious psychopath killer. Its threatening gloomy feel helped a lot by the soundtrack. Recommended.
                                                                                                                        Yeah but.....

How many Wombats?
                                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

They can have Des Cahill though. We'll throw him in for free.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X