This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

When you compare what they do, to what you (royal you) do, and how you are paid, it’s actually still unremarkable in my opinion. You’re making less than 75k/year for 12 years and then after travelling abroad for 2-4 years you finally get in. If you showed the same aptitude in business you’d be much better off.
    Oh I don't think its excessive pay in any way. Was just surprised that we seem to be paying them the going rate for consultants.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      At first glance, I think appointing Cameron is a great move though (not because of him specifically, lol Brexit and all that) - limiting yourself to the idiots in parliament to fill the offices of state hasn't exactly worked wonders in the recent past. It sets a good precedent.

We should take note here and start selecting Ministers based on competency from outside the Dail.
      Who? We tried George Lee as our version of Varoukis and he did nothing. I don't buy that nonsense that someone like Michael O'Leary could come in and fix anything. No other business folk is immediately coming to mind as capable of handling the complexity. Stephen Donnelly is maybe an example of an outside pick and has been very decent (I'd have him down as best of the pack tbh). Not sure who else there is out there that we're massively missing out on. Another GAA wanker?

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
        So Cameron is not an MP? How does that work? Had presumed one would have had to be one to get a Secretary job.
        Nope, has never been the case - just the custom.

I far prefer the US system where the President selects his own cabinet.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Who? We tried George Lee. I don't buy that nonsense that someone like Michael O'Leary could come in and fix anything. Stephen Donnelly is maybe an example of an outside pick and has been very decent. Not sure who else there is out there that we're massively missing out on. Another GAA wanker?
          George Lee was a TD. And never got a cabinet post. So not sure why you're bringing him up!

TDs by their very nature tend not to have much in the way of 'real world experience' (much like college professors) - they have no idea how to run large enterprises and implement complex strategies. Their thinking tends to be narrowly political.

Comment

Put it this way.

You wouldn't hire me to lecture college students. I have no pedagogical training or background. All my knowledge is practical rather than academic. I'd be a disaster.

I wouldn't hire you to work in my company. All your knowledge is academic and you have no experience of getting things done in an organizational capacity. You would be a disaster.

Yet we expect TDs, whose sole experience consists of schmoozing their constituents, being seen at funerals and making the right soundbites on social media, to somehow miraculously run very large departments with complex problems and thousands of staff. They're shit at it and it's hardly surprising!

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
              So Cameron is not an MP? How does that work? Had presumed one would have had to be one to get a Secretary job.
              Must be a member of the Commons (an MP) or the Lords. Cameron got appointed to the Lords this morning (PM can fast-tack such appointments).
              Lord David Frost was a quite high-profile recent Cabinet Minister who got his role via much the same process.

Comment

a) I would, of course, hire you to lecture college students in a business school, as you have great practical business knowledge. We wouldn't teach students exclusively in that way, but we aim for a blend. We've a hundred plus industry faculty in our business school alone.

b) PhDs tend to perform amazing in the workplace - I'd say 80% of business PhDs now go into the workplace precisely because they have an ability to reason through complex problems in a way that pure business people tend to be unskilled in. Google, being just one of a million companies, founded by PhDs. Once again its about having a blend - you wouldn't want a company to be either 100% PhDs, or 100% corporate drones (no offence)

Comment

Do ya have to be an MP to get a PHD ?

Comment

It is a bit mad how many deeply intolerant and seemingly racist People of Colour the Tory's have managed to recruit as MPs and then promote to positions of power. Like if you were a right-wing party who wanted to showcase that its not just elderly white men who are dicks, you would go out and select that exact bunch of people and then send them out in front of people.

Comment

At first glance, I think appointing Cameron is a great move though (not because of him specifically, lol Brexit and all that) - limiting yourself to the idiots in parliament to fill the offices of state hasn't exactly worked wonders in the recent past. It sets a good precedent.

We should take note here and start selecting Ministers based on competency from outside the Dail.
                      Or you know, elect competent representatives?
                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Whats the motorway rule then that allows you to go at different speeds in different laneways. Is it specified as something like: 'you can move at a faster speed in an inside lane, as long as its in line with the flow of the traffic and not with the intent purpose of overtaking those on the outer lanes'. As theres definitely some rule on that.
                        That would be a very convoluted way of phrasing it.
                        The actually text is pretty simple, and includes a few different instances of when it’s permitted to overtake on the left;
                        when the other car is turning right; when traffic to the right is slower; etc

The left/middle lane moving at the speed limit, and the right lane getting backed up; it’s ok to pass.

Going around somebody on the left to get ahead of them. Not ok

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Or you know, elect competent representatives?
                          They're in short supply.

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind choose to go into politics? You would be open to online and offline abuse 24/7, the system is set up to be gamed by insiders and you would spend most of your time sucking up to various interest groups in order to protect your position. And you would probably be faced with a pay cut!

I mean I'm interested in politics. I wouldn't even dream of getting involved in politics.

Comment

First couple of episodes of a new poker show which is a pretty fun watch. GG going to have all the episodes for free on yt.

Comment

Google, being just one of a million companies, founded by PhDs.
                              Pretty sure the founders dropped out to turn a university project into Google.

Much like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey and of course Kayne West…College Drop outs.

Comment

Put it this way.

You wouldn't hire me to lecture college students. I have no pedagogical training or background. All my knowledge is practical rather than academic. I'd be a disaster.

I wouldn't hire you to work in my company. All your knowledge is academic and you have no experience of getting things done in an organizational capacity. You would be a disaster.

Yet we expect TDs, whose sole experience consists of schmoozing their constituents, being seen at funerals and making the right soundbites on social media, to somehow miraculously run very large departments with complex problems and thousands of staff. They're shit at it and it's hardly surprising!
                                Thankfully they don't really run those departments.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Thankfully they don't really run those departments.
                                  They're expected to set the strategy\policy though

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                    Pretty sure the founders dropped out to turn a university project into Google.

Much like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey and of course Kayne West…College Drop outs.
                                    Yikes they did. Although it was one of their PhD papers that got them the funding for Google, I think, or got them noticed in any case.

I'm not sure that changes the overall point much. It was based on PhD-derived research whether or not the PhD was actually awarded (ABD - All But Dissertation, being a common pre-PhD informal qualification in the US). A gigantic amount of innovation comes from companies founded by PhDs. I guess thats also why PhDs tend to be employed by particularly innovative companies, who need to keep innovating. Although I'm not really sure a full PhD is needed to learn the basic effects of a research approach to idea generation. The problem is that its not really taught effectively in lower level qualifications.

Comment

You look at someone like Donnelly and he is very clearly running Health. Now maybe hes an exception, but I'm not sure. Harris and Foley also clearly integrating massive reforms in their respective education depts also.

Comment

What's Harris doing? Other than presiding over the contraction of the SFI budget by 3% while increasing all PhD stipends by 30%. Aside from research, universities are pathetically underfunded, and its not improving.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                          What's Harris doing? Other than presiding over the contraction of the SFI budget by 3% while increasing all PhD stipends by 30%. Aside from research, universities are pathetically underfunded, and its not improving.
                                          Massive expansion of alternative pathways after second level, such as PLCs and apprentice pathways. That's a HUGE change.

Comment

I'm not sure universities are even underfunded tbh. They just seem to be massively inefficient. Like, I'd be a bit hesitant about throwing more money into them as a general line item. Whereas on the other hand he has increased targeted funding, such as for student accommodation and reducing student costs, student fees. Very big increase in SUSI. Then the PhD scholarship increases.

Comment

Norma has done amazing things in first and second level. Rolling out meals programmes is amazing as how is a student going to learn and pay attention if they haven't proper nutrition. Think Junior Cycle at secondary is now a big part applied, which makes far more sense than exams. Although I did read a student on reddit *complaining* that he now had to do a project for Computer Science instead of an exam - showing somewhat of a misunderstanding of what he would be doing in the workplace.

Comment

Changing a few things around is all well and good, but blowing the trumpet for them while they preside over a contracting education budget (only country in the OECD), while having the highest economic growth, and also being an insane outlier on expenditure per student vs gdp isn't something I'd be doing!

Comment

Yikes they did. Although it was one of their PhD papers that got them the funding for Google, I think, or got them noticed in any case.

I'm not sure that changes the overall point much. It was based on PhD-derived research whether or not the PhD was actually awarded (ABD - All But Dissertation, being a common pre-PhD informal qualification in the US). A gigantic amount of innovation comes from companies founded by PhDs. I guess thats also why PhDs tend to be employed by particularly innovative companies, who need to keep innovating. Although I'm not really sure a full PhD is needed to learn the basic effects of a research approach to idea generation. The problem is that it’s not really taught effectively in lower level qualifications.
                                                  Doesn’t change the underlying point. They were still academics. Stanford masters graduates in the phd program. Im sure many start ups are founded by PhDs, esp computer science (Intel I think). I was just funny that your example were not actually PhDs.

But also interesting that so many of those famous “drop
                                                  outs” make up the current top 10 rich list.

Comment

I'm not sure universities are even underfunded tbh.
                                                    Well we're not the worst...just the 2nd worst!

Comment

Well we're not the worst...just the 2nd worst!
                                                      I'm almost scared to ask so I'll whisper it please tell me you aren't using Irish GDP to measure Irish investment levels.

Comment

Changing a few things around is all well and good, but blowing the trumpet for them while they preside over a contracting education budget (only country in the OECD), while having the highest economic growth, and also being an insane outlier on expenditure per student vs gdp isn't something I'd be doing!
                                                        All that extra money and the lecturers don’t even get up in the morning to teach… .

Comment

Doesn’t change the underlying point. They were still academics. Stanford masters graduates in the phd program. Im sure many start ups are founded by PhDs, esp computer science (Intel I think). I was just funny that your example were not actually PhDs.

But also interesting that so many of those famous “drop
                                                          outs” make up the current top 10 rich list.
                                                          yeah!

I do feel Ireland has inherited some weird anglo-saxon mindset that someone could have 'too much education'. While you've a fair few countries in the world - Germany, South Korea being two that spring to mind, but all the scandie countries also - where the PhD is a massive industry leadership thing. But I guess it depends on the extent of R&D investment and innovation focus.

Comment

I'm almost scared to ask so I'll whisper it please tell me you aren't using Irish GDP to measure Irish investment levels.
                                                            I'm not measuring anything, I'm reading what the OECD tells me! The bottom line is that less money being spent than previous years, where by all measures the country is better off.

Comment

Norma has done amazing things in first and second level. Rolling out meals programmes is amazing as how is a student going to learn and pay attention if they haven't proper nutrition. Think Junior Cycle at secondary is now a big part applied, which makes far more sense than exams. Although I did read a student on reddit *complaining* that he now had to do a project for Computer Science instead of an exam - showing somewhat of a misunderstanding of what he would be doing in the workplace.
                                                              School dinners hardly revolutionary. JC has been part applied for years. The pace of change at 2nd level is chronic. Shitless of teaching unions. Staffing situation getting much worse. Largest class sizes in Europe. Value for money brutal by any standard.

I think you would get your ass handed to you in the "Norma has done amazing things" debate.
                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                Here's the substack post I mentioned during the week - https://open.substack.com/pub/daragh...utm_medium=web

I'll be doing it monthly, so sign up if you enjoy it.

Thanks to Dobby for the feedback!
                                                                Fantastic stuff HJ. It's amazing how stories like that can simply be forgotten.

Looking forward to the next one.
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

School dinners hardly revolutionary. JC has been part applied for years. The pace of change at 2nd level is chronic. Shitless of teaching unions. Staffing situation getting much worse. Largest class sizes in Europe. Value for money brutal by any standard.

I think you would get your ass handed to you in the "Norma has done amazing things" debate.
                                                                  At 3rd level they have basically admitted that they sector is underfunded to the tune of €300m a year, and they came back with €40m in the budget last year and €60m this year, so still way behind. The non-pay budget for our department wouldn't even sustain a house.

Comment

Current Xmas market plan is Bordeaux for 2 nights.
                                                                    Bar arguments about butter and plenty of vin chaud, is it a recommended location?
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

This is one of my favourite AI picture

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                        Bar arguments about butter and plenty of vin chaud, is it a recommended location?
                                                                        I did a few days there for the RWC, it's pretty nice although quite spread out.
                                                                        Do go to the old submarine base, don't drop acid beforehand, thank me later.

Comment

Blackberry is a great watch (and quite on BBV trend of nerds building companies).

Comment

Werw going to Salzburg. Also looked at Bordeaux but fancied a different time of year there and Salzburg looks more "Christmassy".

Comment

At 3rd level they have basically admitted that they sector is underfunded to the tune of €300m a year, and they came back with €40m in the budget last year and €60m this year, so still way behind. The non-pay budget for our department wouldn't even sustain a house.
                                                                              How do Irish academic salaries compare with our EU peers?

Comment

Don’t eat the local sardines from the tin
                                                                                nit a great after taste

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

You don't want a fast pace of change - its little kids. You want to do it slowly. But its a genuinely amazing curriculum. My eldest is now doing both the French and Irish curriculum - she sits the French Brevet AND the Junior Cert - and really the Irish curriculum is a million miles ahead in terms of modernity.

Not sure what the point is about school dinners not being revolutionary. Things like that, along with school books, are the things that make a difference.

I would say Irish education is ridic value for money.

We should though have smaller class sizes, which needs more schools and more teachers. Theres no shortage of people wanting to become teachers - the points to train to be a teacher are ridic high. We do though have a problem that the top end of the scale isn't high enough. Starts are about 37k, I think, which is good for a graduate salary, but it tops out too low - so we need to maybe reduce the number of points so people rise up the scale faster, and have more points added to the top. To make it a feasible 'good' salary for Dublin.

Comment

How do Irish academic salaries compare with our EU peers?
                                                                                    ha. only someone who has gathered his knowledge from a Marc Coleman blogpost would 'innocently' ask that question. I think we're grand, but with problems. Most of our PhDs, as mentioned earlier, wouldn't touch academia with a bargepole, so thats the first sign of a problem. But partially due to an archaic work environment. We're on the lowish end at top of the scale also. Not sure pay is quite the issue though - as zuut did rightly note, the lack of broader funding is the issue. Most of our junior faculty quit because there are no scholarships for them to recruit PhD students - as in, they want to work more, but the environment doesn't allow it.

Part of the problem though is how the Irish University Association presents their case to the government - they say things like - we used to have this, now we don't, so can we have it again. But you're not selling any compelling reason why what was in the past was better. You need to make the case that we need XX to do YY new things that will be brilliant for the country, not just ask for cash without a reason.

Comment

yeah!

I do feel Ireland has inherited some weird anglo-saxon mindset that someone could have 'too much education'. While you've a fair few countries in the world - Germany, South Korea being two that spring to mind, but all the scandie countries also - where the PhD is a massive industry leadership thing. But I guess it depends on the extent of R&D investment and innovation focus.
                                                                                      I agree there’s probably an unwarranted view that of education being pointless after a point. But for the sake of balance, Google, Intel, these are the absolute outliers. Freak combos of right time and place. It’s a bit unfair to use them to justify a million new phds every year.
                                                                                      I once read that something like 30% of PhDs start companies. Which struck me as impressively high. But then I remembered that 80-90% of start ups fail. Makes you wonder.

I think it also very much depends on the field. In STEM research based advances have been made consistently for 30 years, which explains the household companies started by college projects - Google, Facebook, Dell (also a dropout), Snapchat, Reddit…the list goes on. Most of the successful innovators come from STEM. I’m not sure it’s fair to draw a parallel across all Phds.
                                                                                      Are business PhDs as productive? I genuinely don’t know enough about the field to day.
                                                                                      In terms of architecture and design, I feel that’s a field where academia exists for the sake of academia. Researchers might product interesting books on architectural history but I imagine very little if it translates to masterpiece design in the real world.

Comment

This is an odd but weirdly cool story.

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                          This is an odd but weirdly cool story.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-wake-28-years
                                                                                          Thats a great story. Took some dedication to get through it.

I recently came across a few videos of Joyce reading excerpts himself and you can see how one could get sucked in... I'd like to but there is so much other stuff I'd miss out on if I did.
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I have a little fancy for going to Budapest in the next few weeks, talking of Christmas markets.

That HJ story of the Irish in Brazil is a very enjoyable read, and I enjoyed the Game of Gold poker show.

Comment

I can't manage a trip to a Christmas market city but if I could I'd be heading to Ljubljana I think.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I agree there’s probably an unwarranted view that of education being pointless after a point. But for the sake of balance, Google, Intel, these are the absolute outliers. Freak combos of right time and place. It’s a bit unfair to use them to justify a million new phds every year.
                                                                                                I once read that something like 30% of PhDs start companies. Which struck me as impressively high. But then I remembered that 80-90% of start ups fail. Makes you wonder.

I think it also very much depends on the field. In STEM research based advances have been made consistently for 30 years, which explains the household companies started by college projects - Google, Facebook, Dell (also a dropout), Snapchat, Reddit…the list goes on. Most of the successful innovators come from STEM. I’m not sure it’s fair to draw a parallel across all Phds.
                                                                                                Are business PhDs as productive? I genuinely don’t know enough about the field to day.
                                                                                                In terms of architecture and design, I feel that’s a field where academia exists for the sake of academia. Researchers might product interesting books on architectural history but I imagine very little if it translates to masterpiece design in the real world.
                                                                                                Yeah, you're not wrong with that assessment overall. A humanities PhD is fairly useless unless you want to go into teaching, but then theres also very few lecturing jobs available. Business PhDs - it depends on the person and the topic. Like a modern finance PhD would invariably be straight into industry in one of those newer fintech, sustainable finance places as they need PhDs as their work is a blend of research+business. But you can also do academic-nonsense business PhDs. Obv a stem PhD is a route to plane ownership and glory

Comment

The collective journalists of the country, in their already shrinking industry, seem to have argued themselves into shrinking the available jobs in media by a further 400, with RTE cutbacks. Realistically those jobs aren't being re-created elsewhere. Bit odd when you consider how the story started - an absolute nothingness, a commercial deal to top up the pay of a popular presenter that all parties were happy with.

Comment

I presume this will be some kind of draw for an invite with very limited number but may as well stick your name on the list if you have prime.

Amazon Fire TV 55-inch 4-series 4K UHD smart TV : Amazon.co.uk: Everything Else

Comment

Obv a stem PhD is a route to plane ownership and glory
                                                                                                      Not sure about the glory part. A route to more work, as I've been asked to teach your aviation students next term.

Comment

This line about Cameron is spot on
                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Werw going to Salzburg. Also looked at Bordeaux but fancied a different time of year there and Salzburg looks more "Christmassy".
                                                                                                          Salzburg or Strasbourg , they are two very different locations
                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I'm just going to put it out there. Christmas markets are a load of wank.

If you are going for a city break in Nov/Dec, just pick a city you really want to go to and enjoy it.

Comment

ha. only someone who has gathered his knowledge from a Marc Coleman blogpost would 'innocently' ask that question. I think we're grand, but with problems. Most of our PhDs, as mentioned earlier, wouldn't touch academia with a bargepole, so thats the first sign of a problem. But partially due to an archaic work environment. We're on the lowish end at top of the scale also. Not sure pay is quite the issue though - as zuut did rightly note, the lack of broader funding is the issue. Most of our junior faculty quit because there are no scholarships for them to recruit PhD students - as in, they want to work more, but the environment doesn't allow it.

Part of the problem though is how the Irish University Association presents their case to the government - they say things like - we used to have this, now we don't, so can we have it again. But you're not selling any compelling reason why what was in the past was better. You need to make the case that we need XX to do YY new things that will be brilliant for the country, not just ask for cash without a reason.
                                                                                                              I was hoping for an actual qualitative answer, not some rambling nonsense.

This underlines my 'would be a disaster' comment yesterday! If I asked you that question in work and you gave the above 'answer', you would be ripped a new one and rightly so.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I'm just going to put it out there. Christmas markets are a load of wank.

If you are going for a city break in Nov/Dec, just pick a city you really want to go to and enjoy it.
                                                                                                                January/February >>>>> November/December.

Most of our fancy dining is done in Jan/Feb, when it's easy to get a table.

Comment

Bidding for a home for the first time.

First place: Up against one other bidder and we dropped out at 50k over asking, didn't think it was worth it.

Was at a few viewings with 50+ people, didn't bother pursuing any further.

Latest place: We liked it, muted reaction from the few people at the viewing.

We bid asking, only bid so far. Agent is going to show it again.

Similar place went for about 25% over asking, so they likely they have that anchored in their head. I wasn't expecting to get it at asking.

What do you do next?

A) Sit on your hands and wait
                                                                                                                  B) Put a time limit on the bid.
                                                                                                                  C) Add a sweetener to the bid to coax them into closing?
                                                                                                                  ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                    Bidding for a home for the first time.

Firs place: Up against one other bidder and we dropped out at 50k over asking, didn't think it was worth it.

Was at a few viewings with 50+ people, didn't bother pursuing any further.

Latest place: We liked it, muted reaction from the few people at the viewing.

We bid asking, only bid so far. Agent is going to show it again.

Similar place went for about 25% over asking, so they likely they have that anchored in their head. I wasn't expecting to get it at asking.

What do you do next?

A) Sit on your hands and wait
                                                                                                                    B) Put a time limit on the bid.
                                                                                                                    C) Add a sweetener to the bid to coax them into closing?
                                                                                                                    ​​​​
                                                                                                                    View another place with the same agent and indicate you’re thinking of bidding on it.
                                                                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Impact of higher rates beginning to be felt in car financing and slowly in mortgage market. Recession incoming. I wouldn’t be rushing my bidding.
                                                                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

No evidence produced to support charges.

Racehorse owner and industry figure Noel Hayes has hit out at the "entirely unfounded and misplaced" allegations levelled him at him by the Irish... Read More

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                                          Impact of higher rates beginning to be felt in car financing and slowly in mortgage market. Recession incoming. I wouldn’t be rushing my bidding.
                                                                                                                          I’ve said it to a few people in recent months that I was a little surprised to see some brands return to 0% HP on cars for 2024.

Would you see that shift as indicative of a slowdown in orders? I am repeatedly surprised by people driving 60k-100k cars knowing that their yearly salary falls in that bracket.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X