Poker 2: Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poker 2: Electric Boogaloo

Thread to discuss the IPB liver poker revival.
    Split from BBV or not

99% I'll be playing in the Sporting EOM tomorrow night anyway, hope to see some of you there
    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I suppose we can start by people posting some hands and spots from tomorrow night and see where it takes us!
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

After Switch mentioned about Theresa’s golf offer, I obviously felt the need to pop in for a look.
        I’ve spent a bit of time reading in recent days and just to say, well done to DP & Dom on the site which has definitely improved. Obviously the debate is as lively as ever which is great.

In light of the renewed interest in poker, I felt compelled to get involved.
        I’ve followed a somewhat similar path to LL, not quite since 2020 but very involved in recent months, trying to effectively relearn the 2022 version of the game.
        It’s the ultimate example of Dunning Kruger where the more you learn, the realisation of how little you know becomes glaringly apparent.
        I’m still in that self-deprecating valley of despair but I think I’m a little better or at least more aware of mistakes.

Like AFB alluded to unless your aspiration is to go pro then you have to limit your exposure.
        There is an abundance of content out there but like anything it’s about curating both for enjoyment and improvement.
        The goal for me is to be a long term winner at the type of stakes at the upper mid stakes online which I feel makes you a de-facto winner at the IO & UKIPT level which is fine for me.

I’ve done quite a bit of work through direct coaching, video bundles and group seminars.
        I’ve been involved with BBZ up until recently who do a free seminar on a Monday afternoon I believe for anyone wanting to dip their toes.

Fintan Hand receives coaching from the BBZ guys but also has his own coaching bundle with them.
        I had a small HH review with his coach recently and I was watching some of their HH’s recently.
        I’m due to do a full session with that coach in July post WSOP so hoping that goes ahead.
        There always seems to be something on for the coaches so hard to pin them down.

I have was due to have a live session yesterday based on risk premium’s in PKO’s but couldn’t attend. I have one this week regarding population tendencies on some specific boards.

So many esoteric elements of the game that are explored at such an in-depth level.

The consensus from the coaches I’ve worked with is that working with PIO, Simple 3 way(Yes, Solks it is what you think it is) or similar is effectively a must to be a winner at the higher end.
        The size of the libraries of sims some of the guys have are insane, renting servers to run sims 24-7.
        They would feel you need to run your own sims to build your own mental models and truly understand population tendencies via nodelocking.
        I tend to agree but for me, I simply don’t have the time to run my own.

I lean heavily on some of the “lazy” pre-solved solutions mentioned here, most notably GTOwizard which appears to be the market leader at present but there are merits in some of the others like DTO, Odin & DeepSolver.
        They’re always improving, adding some additional features such as ICM, PKO.
        GTOwizards free vids are quite good for anyone interested:

I think when it comes to using solvers, the key is developing heuristics(Poker buzz word these days) rather than getting bogged down in the minutiae of “why do I bet 33% pot with AcQd at 15.5% frequency, AcQs at 17% frequency & AcQh at 25% frequency on a 10s8s7h” when IP.
        Rather it should be “I bet approx 1/3 -1/2 pot half the time” and then you start to build out your understanding of why you bet a little more frequently with the Ah.

Opr we may have crossed paths on discord if you have GTOwizard.
        Tombos level of theoretical knowledge seems incredible. Apparently he was highly involved in 2+2 so some here may recognise him.
        FWIW, Apestyles & all the BBZ people use GTOwiz in their daily seminars.

I run some pieces in Holdem Resource Calculator (or ICMizer) myself as that is a must given ICM is so key but there is help in that department too with the likes Pre-Flop academy(free atm for a Vegas Geo) or BBZ charts.
        Right now, I think that learning the adjustments for PKO’s can’t be overstated as they’re all the big daily guarantees across the sites.
        Largely, the additional equity that the bounty gives is converted to chips meaning that your range expands so wide when you cover your opponent for example.
        For those less involved, the Sunday Million has changed to PKO format recently so it will give an indication of popularity.

Anyway, that’s just my 2 cents.
        Nice to “see” you all, hope everyone is well and I’m happy to get involved in some poker discussions if that’s something that kicks off.
        Ill be sure to poke my head in otherwise for the usual chatter.

Comment

If anyone happens to share some online hands, I think it’s good to use the UpswingPoker hand replayer: https://upswingpoker.com/convert/

I tried to upload one but my PC is getting repaired so no PT4.
          GTOwizard is good in that it allows you to upload hands and they’re subsequently analysed.
          Unfortunately, it doesn’t allow you to download the text nor does it have a share function.
          GG allows you share hands but it has maintenance atm, I’ll share one over the weekend.

I have a good one in mind from an FT a couple of weeks ago that I was surprised by.
          I had someone review it so I’ll share their thoughts, the solvers line(limitations there) and the result from HRC to get started.

Comment

Having a goal to be a winner at mistakes plus online seems reasonably lofty! Fair play on the ambition
            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

I've started playing online cash again at the very bottom, trying to negotiate my way through all this GTO stuff. Must say I find it really fun and interesting. I use deepsolver to analyse any hands I think are noteworthy. Played 20k hands of 2nl (lol) and was comfortable with it and up at about 5bb/100 which is obviously fairly meaningless...was trucking along OK at 5 nl until I hit a stretch of losing 35/42 all-ins (pretty sure I never ran as bad though may have buried the memories of the 2/4 days in 08 and 09)

This evening a guy ripped the river against me on an 8AKA8 board with me holding 88 and I was genuinely thinking this is probably AA, and it was! Thankfully that was the point at which I learned that GG has a bad beat jackpot...a nice instantaneous 80 buyin upswing!

Comment

Is it that you guys have chosen to focus on MTTs or is that they're generally the focus of software / coaching these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  Is it that you guys have chosen to focus on MTTs or is that they're generally the focus of software / coaching these days?
                  Smells like a "cash vs tournaments" thread's abrewing! History is indeed doomed to repeat itself.

Comment

I'm just curious. Maybe cash is dead for all I know. I only ever hear online pros talking about MTTs.

Comment

Stars PP.jpg

€400 Stars game in Bonnington this with $30k Platinmum Pass added for winner in case anyone wasn't aware

Apologies as i dont know how to post pics properly!

Edit - got there
                      Last edited by Dice75; 11-07-22, 15:31.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                        I've started playing online cash again at the very bottom, trying to negotiate my way through all this GTO stuff. Must say I find it really fun and interesting. I use deepsolver to analyse any hands I think are noteworthy. Played 20k hands of 2nl (lol) and was comfortable with it and up at about 5bb/100 which is obviously fairly meaningless...was trucking along OK at 5 nl until I hit a stretch of losing 35/42 all-ins (pretty sure I never ran as bad though may have buried the memories of the 2/4 days in 08 and 09)

This evening a guy ripped the river against me on an 8AKA8 board with me holding 88 and I was genuinely thinking this is probably AA, and it was! Thankfully that was the point at which I learned that GG has a bad beat jackpot...a nice instantaneous 80 buyin upswing!
                        What do you think of Deepsolver? Are you paying for the full Pro version? I had a trial because I was curious of the nodelocking but it was just lagging compared to GTOwizard.

I know the pro gives you priority in the queue for your calculations but it is that bit more expensive.
                        I can definitely see a scenario though if it becomes as user friendly on mobile, it could be the go-to software.

Comment

I like it a lot but I'm new to it all. I just use the basic 20 a month paid version as I couldn't justify the outlay playing for pennies. Obviously I'd prefer if it was a bit faster but I've not been frustrated with the speed. Haven't paid for GTO wizard...I just went with the cheapest option to see what I could get out of it. Will look in to other providers if I make any headway in the game.

Comment

I like it a lot but I'm new to it all. I just use the basic 20 a month paid version as I couldn't justify the outlay playing for pennies. Obviously I'd prefer if it was a bit faster but I've not been frustrated with the speed. Haven't paid for GTO wizard...I just went with the cheapest option to see what I could get out of it. Will look in to other providers if I make any headway in the game.
                            If you’re using desktop or even tablet I’m told it’s quite good so I wouldn’t be inclined to switch.
                            GTOwizard has the edge on mobile and hand upload but I think they have too many bet sizings so I have heard criticism of some of their solves.
                            I asked around about Deepsolver and not many have used it but people were clearing talking and it’s gaining popularity.

A randomer in the group messaged me afterwards with a discount code. I checked with the Deepsolver Discord and its legit if you want to use it. It works across all the tiers & payment options.

Ill PM it to you if you want.

Comment

Yea that would be good, thanks. Once they get hand upload and EV loss it'll be great. It's also not clear to me where the EV of each option is shown, like it is in GTO Wizard.

Comment

Posted a few hands:

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...67-live-pokers
                                Last edited by Denny Crane; 23-07-22, 17:21.

Comment

Denny Crane you mentioned before about why cash over MTTs. I saw this cash + MTT bundle on sale from the BBZ guys. Might be of interest: https://bbzpoker.com/product/2-in-1-summer-sale-bundle/

Comment

Anyone still playing a bit? I'm still at the 6 max...currently at the dizzy heights of 10nl! With almost $600 in the account I should probably step it up to 25nl soon though. Been watching a lot of Uri Peleg's videos on YT and find them for good for getting a feel for where the game is at now.
                                    It's kind of sunk in now how aggro you really need to be...For the last 20k hands my red line is at +1bb/100 where when I used to play years ago it was always something like -5bb. Uri's mantra for beating the small stakes games is basically 'bluff more and fold more' and it's amazing how well it works. I've gotten good at just folding rivers if I'm any way unsure and the difference when I filter by 'called river' in PT4 is startling.
                                    Only problem is actually getting hands in. Just managed 10k this month, 3 tabling fast-fold. Don't want to go above that as autopilot will ruin any progress I'm making. I think that was a large part of why I stagnated when I played back in the old days.

Comment

Heading to Killarney on Thursday for 4 nights. Looking forward to it. Even without the poker, it's always a deadly weekend.

Comment

Anyone still playing a bit? I'm still at the 6 max...currently at the dizzy heights of 10nl! With almost $600 in the account I should probably step it up to 25nl soon though. Been watching a lot of Uri Peleg's videos on YT and find them for good for getting a feel for where the game is at now.
                                        It's kind of sunk in now how aggro you really need to be...For the last 20k hands my red line is at +1bb/100 where when I used to play years ago it was always something like -5bb. Uri's mantra for beating the small stakes games is basically 'bluff more and fold more' and it's amazing how well it works. I've gotten good at just folding rivers if I'm any way unsure and the difference when I filter by 'called river' in PT4 is startling.
                                        Only problem is actually getting hands in. Just managed 10k this month, 3 tabling fast-fold. Don't want to go above that as autopilot will ruin any progress I'm making. I think that was a large part of why I stagnated when I played back in the old days.
                                        I’m the same regarding volume, it’s just very hard to make the time despite wanting to play.
                                        I found it difficult to sacrifice the time over the summer but I’ve started back in the last week or two.
                                        Studying is easier as you watch a few vids at night time rather than sit down for a long session.

BBZ seminars have dropped to $60 a month now from $150 having previously been $300+, I did one month at $150 but found it difficult to attend.
                                        At $60 they’re clearly going after more recreational players but definitely value at the price given you get their historical library for that which has 1000s of videos.

Prior to the break over last month, I had some decent runs, final 3 tables in Sunday Million, probably came a little too early as I was quite nervous having made Day 2.
                                        I made 3 FT’s with big fields and 1 with a smaller field for an
                                        ROI somewhere in the 60% range at 30-35$ ABI but the volume isn’t big so possibly running above EV too.

I’ll make a plan for a few weeks leading into Xmas and see what happens. I’m going to read some of Doke’s Sat stuff too in an effort to bink some seats to events next year.

Given the USD-EUR situation atm, it’s nice when you get a win but you definitely notice the difference when playing a session.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                          Heading to Killarney on Thursday for 4 nights. Looking forward to it. Even without the poker, it's always a deadly weekend.
                                          Decent start. Finished 11th in the 150 turbo after sneaking into the money with 4 bigs. 14 were paid so happy enough with that start.

Comment

Bagged 415k after winning a satt this afternoon. So the dream is alive tomorrow

Comment

Never ran like this playing $2/$4 back in the day
                                              Screenshot 2022-10-08 at 10.55.05.png

Comment

Anyone heading to the IPO next weekend? I see Murdrum knocking around the satts on Unibet and is reg'd for the online day 1 this Sunday so GL with that. I won a satt for the main last weekend and will play a live day 1 so looking forward to it.

Comment

TVM, same as yourself, nice to bink a ticket.

The online Day 1 plan was originally due to work commitments Mon-Fri but might be able to get up on Friday.

I think they’ve done the schedule really well for Sunday.
                                                  Maybe a few who would have played the 500e game will instead wait around for the Mystery Bounty but in light of the Bank Holiday on Monday, I think Sunday will be packed.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                    TVM, same as yourself, nice to bink a ticket.

The online Day 1 plan was originally due to work commitments Mon-Fri but might be able to get up on Friday.

I think they’ve done the schedule really well for Sunday.
                                                    Maybe a few who would have played the 500e game will instead wait around for the Mystery Bounty but in light of the Bank Holiday on Monday, I think Sunday will be packed.
                                                    Pretty sure the Saturday is day 1C if that affects your decision to play live or online. I plan on playing 1C myself.

i dont like the format of mystery bounty. The bounties don't come into play until you're in the money which is a load of nonsense in a bounty tourney imo. I might play the satt for it on Sunday since it's only 25 quid but definitely wouldn't buy into it. If bounties were in play from the start it would entice me but I don't like bounties in general.

Comment

Pretty sure the Saturday is day 1C if that affects your decision to play live or online. I plan on playing 1C myself.

i dont like the format of mystery bounty. The bounties don't come into play until you're in the money which is a load of nonsense in a bounty tourney imo. I might play the satt for it on Sunday since it's only 25 quid but definitely wouldn't buy into it. If bounties were in play from the start it would entice me but I don't like bounties in general.
                                                      It’s an interesting one.

I suppose the thing I’d say is that it’s probably something you’ll see more of in some type of format as PKOs make up something like 70% of the NLH schedule online now.

Maybe the mystery bounty isn’t here to stay but some bounty format will be playing a big part even live for the forseeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

It’s an interesting one.

I suppose the thing I’d say is that it’s probably something you’ll see more of in some type of format as PKOs make up something like 70% of the NLH schedule online now.

Maybe the mystery bounty isn’t here to stay but some bounty format will be playing a big part even live for the forseeable.
                                                        Definitely here to stay yeah. They're probably the majority of online games now and even the bonnington has a bounty tourney on Wednesdays, I played it once and it was fine but it's 25 quid pp gone from the prizepool. Won 3 so came out with 75 quid plus a small cash but just a personal preference that I'd rather play for a prizepool instead of bounties.

I can see the attraction though.

Comment

What's the opposite of BBVing yourself? Ship the Mystery Bounty satt

Murdrum, your positional play is good. You hammered my BB at every opportunity

Comment

What's the opposite of BBVing yourself? Ship the Mystery Bounty satt

Murdrum, your positional play is good. You hammered my BB at every opportunity
                                                            What happens the MB if you run deep in the main?

Contemplating a last minute trip for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I get the cash credited to my unibet account if I'm lucky enough to still be in the main. Or I can transfer it to a player to be used.

Best of luck if you travel up

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Did you/will you be, travelling? Seems to be a decent turnout so far

Comment

Did you/will you be, travelling? Seems to be a decent turnout so far
                                                                  Sorry only saw this now. Ya i did. Played the main yesterday, no good. Aces, Queens, you know the rest.

Might play the MB today but may just wait for the mini main tomorrow.

Comment

Reposting the link Doke already shared: http://dokearney.blogspot.com/2022/1...-of-trade.html

Most of the software mentioned already but worth getting it from someone who’s so close to it.

GTOwizard made another release yday. Every month that I think I’ll let my sub lapse, they come back with something else.
                                                                    IMO, they’re quite easy the standout in the industry right now.

Comment

I've switched to GTO Wizard after Deepsolver realised that their $20 subscription allowing 1000 calculations a month was a (months long) mistake and that is should come with zero.

Still just on the cusp of 25nl Zoom now having run up €25 to €850 over about 100k hands since around April (around 400 was BBJ). Have taken a few shots and got smacked down with variance each time (yellow and green line in PT are now equal!). First go at it knocked me back to €650...back to €750 now and mixing in a bit of it.
                                                                      I tend not to play aggro enough until I've probably 40 BI for a level. Could obv throw in a couple of hundred and be there, but want to do it the hard way. I reckon at my current skill level I would be a small winner at 50 nl, not sure I'll get much better either but we'll keep trying.

Comment

I've switched to GTO Wizard after Deepsolver realised that their $20 subscription allowing 1000 calculations a month was a (months long) mistake and that is should come with zero.

Still just on the cusp of 25nl Zoom now having run up €25 to €850 over about 100k hands since around April (around 400 was BBJ). Have taken a few shots and got smacked down with variance each time (yellow and green line in PT are now equal!). First go at it knocked me back to €650...back to €750 now and mixing in a bit of it.
                                                                        I tend not to play aggro enough until I've probably 40 BI for a level. Could obv throw in a couple of hundred and be there, but want to do it the hard way. I reckon at my current skill level I would be a small winner at 50 nl, not sure I'll get much better either but we'll keep trying.
                                                                        I haven’t seen the cash game sims but I’m told it’s interesting how much they shift site to site.
                                                                        The hand upload is a great feature with GTO wizard.

It’ll be good when they add the update for partial analysis.
                                                                        If you have any hand that goes multi-way it’s deemed GTO spot non-existent even though they do have the Preflop solution.
                                                                        Similar to allow easy toggle to check for same spot in ICM.

It might be worth sending your database to a coach for an analysis. I see lots of coaches offer them and they generally recommend a 100K sample.
                                                                        Plug it into something like Hand2Note to get some insights.

I attended a seminar yesterday and set up a drill for the spot on GTO wizard. Success rate is like 50% thus far which for context is pretty abysmal.
                                                                        Pretty rude awakening realising how far off the mark you are.

Comment

In the cash game trainer I'm around 73-74% overall....Down at 62% in 3b pots, so going to focus on them. I wondered what was a decent number to be hitting. I suspect it's naturally a good bit lower for tournaments when you have to account for the stack size being much more variable. Not sure I'd go down the coach route as it's purely just a hobby this time around...don't want it to get back into obsession territory!

Comment

In the cash game trainer I'm around 73-74% overall....Down at 62% in 3b pots, so going to focus on them. I wondered what was a decent number to be hitting. I suspect it's naturally a good bit lower for tournaments when you have to account for the stack size being much more variable. Not sure I'd go down the coach route as it's purely just a hobby this time around...don't want it to get back into obsession territory!
                                                                            It’s really spot depending, if you’re just running Preflop at 10bb you’re probably close to 100%.
                                                                            If you’re running full hand 3b OOP like that spot I mentioned then it’ll be lower.

Cash I’m not sure about but ratings have become more harsh.
                                                                            Previously you were given a higher score for lower frequency decisions but now those decisions get penalised more I believe.

The general criticism of GTO wizard is that there are too many sizings for a human to actually cover.
                                                                            It’s the agg reports where the big value is imo, identifying bets & sizings/check on certain textures.
                                                                            You think you have it sussed and then you’re given a zero because your combo is the only 1 that deviates from a certain sizing.

Yeah get where you’re coming from on the coaching. I haven’t done any 1:1 yet just the seminars which I feel are enough.
                                                                            There are so many resources now that getting 1:1 would likely go along with running your own sims in PIO etc which in terms of time if nothing else is taking it to the next level.

Comment

#39
                                                                              For those grinding the cash streets. It may be of interest that Jeremiah Williams started streaming on Twitch recently. He is an online cash beast who is good at explaining his thoughts and is very GTO orientated

He is doing a challenge :

500nl-10knl. 50k > 200k BR challenge

https://www.twitch.tv/jeremiah_williams

Comment

#40
                                                                                BBZ poker who I mentioned have made a couple of big recent announcements, they have recently acquired another poker coaching group called TurboKings.
                                                                                They’re a little more focused on the US sites & lower stakes but they’re good at the idea of adjusting for populations.

However, they have also recently got Andy “BowieEffect” Wilson onboard who won the WPT in Florida recently and 2nd in a PCA side event.
                                                                                I’ve attended a couple of his seminars elsewhere and he’s so knowledgeable especially postflop.
                                                                                They also got Alex “Pwndidi” Theologis who many will know as the guy who had the swap that never was with Espen for the WSOP ME that he shipped.
                                                                                He did all the PKO work for the Pads on Pads course from RunitOnce which is $1000 to buy.

Both guys are approx $70-90 for a 90 min group session but you get a month of the BBZ seminars including all the other coaches and their charts for $60.

Just if anyone is planning on playing the deepstack, Irish Open etc over the next few months and wants to brush up, it’s well worth throwing $60 at this for a month.
                                                                                Pwndidi is on tomorrow but you get the archive if you sign up later.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                X