Clear All

• Hitchhiker's Guide To...
    replied
    Site seems way better now?

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Originally posted by Iago View Post
    just because it might have gotten lost in Bbv. I'm still getting the dual error message everytime I navigate to the site and have to login again each time. I also get an error message everytime I post, though the post appears when I hit reload.

I can't edit posts though, I get an error message and the edit isn't saved.

Using chrome, haven't flushed cache so that could be a contributor I guess.
    Clear your cache, that'll solve it

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Originally posted by Iago View Post
    just because it might have gotten lost in Bbv. I'm still getting the dual error message everytime I navigate to the site and have to login again each time. I also get an error message everytime I post, though the post appears when I hit reload.

clear your cache, that'll solve it

Leave a comment:

• Iago
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 6starpool
    replied
    There is still a problem that we're trying to fix, which should be a simple matter of a redirect, but it isn't. What happened last night was I think an edit of the htaccess file which messed things up (wasn't my fault this time) and I fixed it this morning when I noticed the site wasn't loading.

Basically www.irishpokerboards.com as a url doesn't work, but www.irishpokerboards.com/forum does. As I said, seems like a simple fix but it's still not working. It's definitely something we need to fix though.

Leave a comment:

• AndyFatBastard
    replied
    What happened last night lads?

Leave a comment:

• 6starpool
    replied
    Yep, new server is the extent of the changes at this point.

Leave a comment:

• coillcam
    replied
    Huge improvement in loading times on the new server/host. Good job lads.

​​​​​​I assume all functionality is the same for now?

Leave a comment:

• 6starpool
    replied
    Warning though: These server migrations when they happen rely on DNS propagation to be complete, so in the past we've experienced the fun thing of basically 2 versions of the site with some people on one side, and others on the other, with only one of them being the 'proper' side, but it irons itself out over the course of a couple of days.

Leave a comment:

• 6starpool
    replied
    Quick update -

Current server is one that was a decent option a number of years back, but is below standard needed now really. We can do a 'similar price' move which gives us a more modern offering (multiple times the RAM, SSD storage, etc) which should hopefully see a decent boost to performance. It's basically a free hit at this stage to get more bang for your buck.

I have initiated this transfer now, so it should kick in over the next couple of days. Instead of a monthly payment it was an upfront charge to cover 3 years (at a heavily incentivised and discounted rate for that period). If we need some $$$ contributions for this (we may not, I'll explain later) I'll definitely come back to you.

Once that happens,it'll tell us a few things:

1. Did the extra oomph fix the performance issues?
    2. If so, yay. If not, we could look at upgrading further if needs be. Hopefully won't be necessary.
    3. Is there enough general dissatisfaction with VB5 software to justify moving to different software? Seems like there may well be, but that's something we can come to later.

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied
    1 - no, 2 yes, 3 yes

Leave a comment:

replied
    damn meddling kids

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    I would suggest then, if we go with xenforo, that people temporarily be given some development roles, before returning to current admins. Develop subforums like 'interests', 'blogs', 'events', 'gambling', 'entertainment' in a way that might catch people's interest. Maybe other people could reach out to people who might have left due to development issues. I think the key is about putting attention into a few areas rather than assuming that no one will be interested in them.
    Hitch's Machiavellian plot to establish himself as IPB dictator went unnoticed at first....

Leave a comment:

• 6starpool
    replied
    This may be a multi part process such as:

1. Upgrade server, see how things are.
    2. If sufficient impetus, then examine xenforo.
    3.???
    4. Profit

Leave a comment:

replied
    I would suggest then, if we go with xenforo, that people temporarily be given some development roles, before returning to current admins. Develop subforums like 'interests', 'blogs', 'events', 'gambling', 'entertainment' in a way that might catch people's interest. Maybe other people could reach out to people who might have left due to development issues. I think the key is about putting attention into a few areas rather than assuming that no one will be interested in them.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Maybe thats the first in a series of polls?

Xenforo (working public online) vs Discord (quick effective mobile)

Leave a comment:

replied
    Seems theres enough of a sway away from discord and towards something more public.

Leave a comment:

• eamonhonda
    replied

I've never seen it before now. But just noticed it for first time when logging into website this evening. That's weird has it always been there?
    Yep same here. Think it was there before but definitely not for me the last while. Appeared again a day or two ago.

Will contribute btw. And although I know discord makes sense, I know I won't use it.

Leave a comment:

• Silver-Tiger
    replied
    Happy to contribute money.

Nothing else to contribute that hasn't been said.

Leave a comment:

• Micknail
    replied
    Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

For about 6 months

​​​​​
    I was the same as Hitch, but I think it's actually a knock on effect of being so hard to post that 3 of the top 5 threads were older than 24 hours when I checked recently.

​​​​​​I do remember around the time of the discussion to bring in dedicated football threads that people kicked up that they would leave due to having the top ten dashboard clogged up, so maybe 5 is a bit tight for threads visibility.

External media integration is big imo. Your twitter's, your YouTubes.

Nay for discord, we'll die a death in a private forum.

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied

I've never seen it before now. But just noticed it for first time when logging into website this evening. That's weird has it always been there?
    For about 6 months

​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied
    With the community investing in whatever happens, I think it would be wise to set some rules in stone.

I think it would be a mess if it became a 'too many chiefs' situation. Personally I would prefer if the current structure of who's 'in charge' in terms of decision making, stayed the same.

Things would grind to a halt if decisions had to be made after a 5 page thread of oars being thrown.

Leave a comment:

• coillcam
    replied
    I'm a few years in the IT sector and ultimately you get what you pay for. Free as in free beer usually comes with a number of limitations. Trying to band-aid together an ageing solution with little resources leads to a limited experience. It's equally frustrating for the punters, site owners and admins.

A decent platform with functionality, resilience, security, updates, integrations and low admin overhead always requires investment. I think a freemium model is a way forward as you can't exclude regular punters/lurkers who want to keep involved. For a paid tier/subscriber I think a carrot is required. What that looks like I really don't know. I'd hope that the site kicks off again once the current issues are resolved and that this would bring in more advertising. In turn, removing part of the financial burden of keeping the site online.

- Having access to old data? Would be nice
    - Being able to search easily? Not a deal-breaker
    - Threaded content? Yes
    - Being able to pick up where you left off in a thread? Massively. I always end up joining 1-2 pages behind and it takes too long to load each time, compounding the delay.
    - Being able to easily post embedded tweets, pictures and the likes? Critical for the enjoyment of the site to be able to integrate usual social media/video links.
    - Being able to use spoilers? Needed for games, books,TV and movie discussion

Perhaps in the future, hosting an annual fundraiser tourney or mini-series to help run the site? Also, a chance for people to catch up

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
    I see many people mention 'mobile friendly version'. In the absence of us paying for the dedicated android/ios apps, there is no mobile friendly site. It's not like there is an option to turn on that will make it happen. It's currently tapatalk or the standard interface. That's it. There is no 'create a nice user friendly mobile version' that isn't the paid app.
    I can only repeat my 2nd point above in response to this ?

I currently use Tapatalk when using IPB on my mobile. Generally, it isn't great but I've no idea if that's because of Tapatalk or IPB.

Leave a comment:

• Cuchulainn1
    replied
    Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    - Having access to old data? 8/10
    - Being able to search easily? 6/10
    - Threaded content? 8/10
    - Being able to pick up where you left off in a thread? 9/10
    - Being able to easily post embedded tweets, pictures and the likes? 9/10
    - Being able to use spoilers? 7/10

Yeah, I just don't think enough people would migrate their
    What he said.
    also no problem throwing in the dolla for this.

Leave a comment:

• 6starpool
    replied
    I see many people mention 'mobile friendly version'. In the absence of us paying for the dedicated android/ios apps, there is no mobile friendly site. It's not like there is an option to turn on that will make it happen. It's currently tapatalk or the standard interface. That's it. There is no 'create a nice user friendly mobile version' that isn't the paid app.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied

1) No, provided the site had a mobile friendly version
    2) I don't know what a tracker mortgage is
    3) Yes, will defo chip in with the loots

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    - Having access to old data? 8/10
    - Being able to search easily? 6/10
    - Threaded content? 8/10
    - Being able to pick up where you left off in a thread? 9/10
    - Being able to easily post embedded tweets, pictures and the likes? 9/10
    - Being able to use spoilers? 7/10

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

While some of these features may (and almost certainly do) apply to the likes of discord, I think it's a very big leap to go there. I think while some might well come back posting, some others would stop using it due to the 'differentness' of it.
    Yeah, I just don't think enough people would migrate their

Leave a comment:

• 6starpool
    replied
    What are features that are important to people (performance aside)?

- Having access to old data?
    - Being able to search easily?
    - Threaded content?
    - Being able to pick up where you left off in a thread?
    - Being able to easily post embedded tweets, pictures and the likes?
    - Being able to use spoilers?

While some of these features may (and almost certainly do) apply to the likes of discord, I think it's a very big leap to go there. I think while some might well come back posting, some others would stop using it due to the 'differentness' of it.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    I’ll contribute.

Unfortunately I’ve nothing more to contribute but good to see those with skills and views contributing to the discussion….

Leave a comment:

• LuckyLloyd
    replied
    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

In the words of Lenin, "what is to be done?"

The site is close to unusable. It is long past time to face reality on that. And we're losing members as a direct result.
    We can't of course guarantee that fixing this problem will bring people back but it certainly can't hurt and it might also stop us losing more.

So....what do we need to do?

(a) Stay on this platform or (b) move somewhere else?

I've seen you guys make lots of heroic effort to fix this site but in my considered and highly technical view, it's irredeemably fucked and we should take option (b).

Can we at least make a decision on this? Then we can get into the discussion of how\who and most importantly, how much? To the last one, I'm sure most members would be happy to kick in $$$ if it meant getting a better platform and being able to revitalise the site.
    This was a really good post btw, worth chucking here.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

With the understanding that 'you can't please all the people all of the time', what is the REAL issue for everyone? Is it the look and feel since the upgrade? Or is it the performance? Or something else (like data concerns ala Hitch, etc)?
    I think the real issues:

1. The site is so reliable that people are leaving. It takes ages to post. It always says 'working' and then doesn't post. So its hard to just make casual posts. So functionally its not great for posting on.

2. New thread discovery has been lost since switching over (running up that hill, etc). I'd say thread usage would back this up - as its not easy to see recent threads, everything just defaults to bbv. Which is grand - but bbv has its regulars, but the rest of the threads brought in a lot of people, who would occasionally drop into the bbv and they're now gone.

Leave a comment:

replied

Like posting twitter, youtube, etc? Seems to be the case? Unless I misunderstand the question?
    Sorry didn't word it well. I meant can someone access discord through a website - if web browsing at work is their thing. I see that it seems possible.

Leave a comment:

• LuckyLloyd
    replied
    Is there a web interaction option for discord? I'm in a few pump-and-dump crypto discord servers and its great. Would be nice to have that ability to interact seamlessly with everything else that plays nicely with discord. Posting images etc. Easy to invite people in. Would probably refind a lot of people also.
    Like posting twitter, youtube, etc? Seems to be the case? Unless I misunderstand the question?

Leave a comment:

• LuckyLloyd
    replied
    Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
    What's the thinking on content and user migration? We didn't do it when we moved from the old place and it didn't seem too matter much. I'm sure this place could be kept up for a period while the new place gets going.

New domain? www.irishpokerlessboards.com?
    So this is related to Andy's suggestion above. If we agree that a migration isn't required then it becomes altogether more trivial. We can just set up a new vBulletin package from scratch even and that should sort out the issues we have. Or it could be on a new forum platform, etc.

We're open on this. If people really want to keep the history then we should try our utmost to facilitate that.

With the understanding that 'you can't please all the people all of the time', what is the REAL issue for everyone? Is it the look and feel since the upgrade? Or is it the performance? Or something else (like data concerns ala Hitch, etc)?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Is there a web interaction option for discord? I'm in a few pump-and-dump crypto discord servers and its great. Would be nice to have that ability to interact seamlessly with everything else that plays nicely with discord. Posting images etc. Easy to invite people in. Would probably refind a lot of people also.

Leave a comment:

• LuckyLloyd
    replied
    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Yes. Tell us how much you need.
    We don't know how much it costs yet

We'd obviously explain how much and for what first. The issue with asking for money is the risk of choosing an option that doesn't work out so well. So we need to talk this out first.

Leave a comment:

• LuckyLloyd
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
    I genuinely think a Discord server would be just fine for what we need, which is a place to chat, sometimes even about poker. Message boards are outdated tech at this point.
    Thanks for this suggestion Andy. I am in a couple of discord servers (for Fantasy Football) and it does the job just fine.

I think this is genuinely worth thinking about - i.e. would people be willing to walk away from the history that has accumulated here? Because if the answer would be yes it increases the range of available solutions while significantly decreasing the costs.

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Originally posted by Lazare View Post

It's there but it's not user friendly. On the old site I would navigate back and forward from it. I would check out the latest in the bbv first, read that then easily navigate back to the homepage. There is no simple quick navigation back to there. The way I read now is I just have a couple of tabs open, bbv and a couple of others. I rarely venture outside bbv now though.

Happy to chip in btw.
    I know exactly what you mean.
    The simple navigation (via the ipb logo) is my personal bugbear and something that causes me no end of strife.

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    1. App shouldn't be needed but it is important to be mobile friendly and stop trying to get me to download tapatalk FFS!
    2. When it is running smooth I don't really have much of a problem with it
    3. Obv we'd need to know the budget but I don't imagine that would be a problem

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
    I genuinely think a Discord server would be just fine for what we need, which is a place to chat, sometimes even about poker. Message boards are outdated tech at this point.
    That's worth thinking about there are ways in which it might be attractive.
    I'm veering towards it being the wrong sort of model, the site needs to be FTA for casual users and probably needs to at least redirect from ipb.com

Leave a comment:

• coillcam
    replied
    1. An app isn't a requirement for me but a decent mobile version site is.
    2. I don't care what platform is used but it must be: Reliable, Responsive, Intuitive and Functional.
    3. Yes

Leave a comment:

• Solksjaer!
    replied
    Yes to all 3 .

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Yes. Tell us how much you need.

Leave a comment:

• BennyHiFi
    replied
    1) Probably not - I generally use a laptop but could probably adapt to a mobile app if I had to.
    2) Yes - Xenforo looks nice alright.
    3) Yes

Good luck with whatever is decided lads and while I won't be of much technical use I will, like most I expect, chip right in for the cost as and when they arise.

Leave a comment:

• Wombatman
    replied
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

What's the thinking on content and user migration? We didn't do it when we moved from the old place and it didn't seem too matter much. I'm sure this place could be kept up for a period while the new place gets going.

New domain? www.irishpokerlessboards.com?

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied
    Just had a nosey at a Xenforo forum. Looks good.

Leave a comment:

• AndyFatBastard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied
    Just to add, I preferred desktop version on the mobile on the old place, and currently on boards but it's not usable here. So the above is based on the mobile version.

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied
    Just out of personal interest;

you can all see this on the homepage right?

It's there but it's not user friendly. On the old site I would navigate back and forward from it. I would check out the latest in the bbv first, read that then easily navigate back to the homepage. There is no simple quick navigation back to there. The way I read now is I just have a couple of tabs open, bbv and a couple of others. I rarely venture outside bbv now though.

Happy to chip in btw.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• oleras
    replied
    No problem throwing money at a solution, i only really use the laptop for browsing so don't have a need for a dedicated mobile version.

Leave a comment:

• 6starpool
    replied
    I'll post some thoughts here later when I have a chance.

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Thanks luckiest of lloyds. Xenforo + chipping in for costs sounds perfect. I suspect poker *could* come roaring back and we'll scoop up the market.

* can we also have the ability to manage our data? I wonder if a few people who've left have left because of the dangers of having so much private-ish data without the ability to remove it.

Thank you all!!
    We can prune a users posts no problem, press a button and they all go.
    It's when they get picky there's an issue

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• brianmc
    replied
    3. If needed, would enough people be willing to chip in for costs if we tripled our running costs by moving to a dedicated server solution?
    Probably, but what is X that is now going to be 3X?

Leave a comment:

• Micknail
    replied
    What is the dedicated solution roughly do you think?
    AWS hosted VM or similar?
    Any point sticking a server on someone's home network to save costs?

Leave a comment:

• Micknail
    replied
    1. No 2. Yes
    3. Yes

It's defo the absence of the top ten threads dashboard which is leading to other (lesser) threads just not getting any traffic.

Personally, I mostly use the site via mobile phone, in chrome set to use desktop site, I generally don't have issues with navigation etc.

Just posting

Leave a comment:

replied
    Then we launch a relaunch party, get the whole crew back. 2012 all over again. Fire up the werewolf servers.

Leave a comment:

replied
    The issue with the new vbulletin is it killed off all the threads apart from bbv, as it didn't show the 'most active threads', so there was no way to create visibility if you were doing something - like a personal project, or someones blog. If we could bring that back in the new format, it would allow new ideas to emerge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X