Banner Ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on Collin Moshman's SnG book

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Opinions on Collin Moshman's SnG book

    Hi.

    I recently read the book and tried his strategy and guidelines.
    I did not profit in a single Low stakes SnG using his tactics, in fact I lost 4 buy-ins in a row,
    which completely put me off his strategy guides.
    His pot odds and EV assumptions make you committed into the pot, although he says
    himself that you are never to be pot committed.

    I just wanted to know other people's opinions and if they have been successful using his guidelines.

    Maybe it could be a matter of variance for me, but I am not clearly sure.

    #2
    If your multitabling sngs expect to go on a lot bigger downswings than 4 ganes
    airport, lol

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
      If your multitabling sngs expect to go on a lot bigger downswings than 4 ganes
      this I've went on 30+ of the 180 mans without a cash

      Comment


        #4
        Yeah.

        I forgot to mention, that i was multitabling.
        I guess I will stick to my usual play-style and strategy.

        Comment


          #5
          What did you expect tho happen after reading his book
          Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

          Comment


            #6
            of course his guide line s work collin is a top turbo sit and go coach from cardrunners

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jazzyfish View Post
              of course his guide line s work collin is a top turbo sit and go coach from cardrunners
              Then how come the OP lost 4 buy-ins in a row?
              Seems fairly damning evidence that Moshman doesn't work.

              Comment


                #8
                4 buy ins ha. Add a 0 and i may start listening.
                Pm for rakeback deals

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                  4 buy ins ha. Add 2 0s and i may start listening.
                  FYP
                  Disaster - Dreamcrusher

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Hi.

                    The reason I read his book, was because I wanted to move up in stakes.

                    After further testing and experimenting, I personally came to conclusion that his strategy does work, if you only play 2 tables max and pay attention to every player.

                    In my opinion once you open 4+ tables, your evaluation of players diminishes, and thus making your decision making to run along with his strategy futile, because it requires precise attention and evaluation of every move, and give time to every decision to call, fold or raise.

                    Obviously you can apply complex decision making and evaluation to any poker strategy, but Moshman's strategy is all based on that with a different "spice mix" and cherry on top.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by ibimon View Post
                      Hi.

                      The reason I read his book, was because I wanted to move up in stakes.

                      After further testing and experimenting, I personally came to conclusion that his strategy does work, if you only play 2 tables max and pay attention to every player.

                      In my opinion once you open 4+ tables, your evaluation of players diminishes, and thus making your decision making to run along with his strategy futile, because it requires precise attention and evaluation of every move, and give time to every decision to call, fold or raise.

                      Obviously you can apply complex decision making and evaluation to any poker strategy, but Moshman's strategy is all based on that with a different "spice mix" and cherry on top.
                      it comes down to pratice i {disagree} to move up in stakes you have to be able for the swings there for playing 12 + tables will help you with this you need to increase your win rate there for the more tables you play per hour the more your win rate will go up im not an sit and go expert but i do no a bit about it im sure laois hammer will help you with this and he can explain more as he grinds these for a living it seems like you have a lot to learn about shoving ranges and calling ranges and icm a nash chart will help you for your shoving ranges the best thing i would advise if you really want to play these full time is join a training site

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Can you give an example of hand that you played according to his strategy? I've never read his book, but from the OP it looks like you might have misunderstood some of what he said.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          forgot to ask are you playing these without holdem manger

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                            Then how come the OP lost 4 buy-ins in a row?
                            Seems fairly damning evidence that Moshman doesn't work.
                            lol is this a joke

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by jazzyfish View Post
                              forgot to ask are you playing these without holdem manger
                              Hi.

                              I only play weekends and some evenings when I have some free time, that's why I never invested into any tracking software.For me poker is challenge rather than a way of income, every time I build my bankroll by about 300-400% i usually withdraw and don't play for a couple of months.

                              Saying this, I did install a trial last night, and I must say I like it a lot. I can see how it will fit into his strategy, looking to try out their leak buster app as well.

                              Also the reason I started reading more strategy guides and books is because I used to play on Russian sites, where gamester is quiet different than other communities.

                              Also thank you for all the advice everyone, and please don't turn this thread into a zoo.
                              If you read the question in the my post, I asked for opinions and gave my own.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by jazzyfish View Post
                                im sure laois hammer will help you with this and he can explain more as he grinds these for a living
                                not anymore

                                dont know anything about moshmans sng strategy but i watched a video his wife/girlfriend done on 180s and it was simply bad advice for how reggy that game has got and i doubt either of them would have much success in 180s.

                                i guess his sng strat might depend on what site your playing on, doubt it would have much edge over the guys on stars who have grinded sng wiz and mass table them because i think the books out ages? so its not wrote to exploit these guys id assume

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by ibimon View Post
                                  Saying this, I did install a trial last night, and I must say I like it a lot. I can see how it will fit into his strategy, looking to try out their leak buster app as well.
                                  can you give a few cliff notes on what he says in the book / what the strategy is?

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by jazzyfish View Post
                                    it comes down to pratice i {disagree} to move up in stakes you have to be able for the swings there for playing 12 + tables will help you with this you need to increase your win rate there for the more tables you play per hour the more your win rate will go up im not an sit and go expert but i do no a bit about it im sure laois hammer will help you with this and he can explain more as he grinds these for a living it seems like you have a lot to learn about shoving ranges and calling ranges and icm a nash chart will help you for your shoving ranges the best thing i would advise if you really want to play these full time is join a training site
                                    Going to take advice from one of the posters and use Holdem manager, I have already set it up, but only tested it in 'play money games'.
                                    Just need to get used to analyzing the data fast, so i can move into multitable with it.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by Laois Hammer View Post
                                      can you give a few cliff notes on what he says in the book / what the strategy is?
                                      I'm in work now, but from the top of my head I remember a part where he says that you should continue to call small bets on mid pair, even if there's a possibility/ or you know that your opponent has already hit a top pair. This is done for a possibility to improve on the river.
                                      The way i seen it happen to me was: I put 1bb pre flop, then 1-2 BB call to see the turn, then another 1-2 bb to see the river, and then 1 BB to see the cards. That's 4-6 bb. It's not something I would normally do, but also IMO this is pot commitment.

                                      Comment

                                      Working...
                                      X