This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPB Sports Gambling Syndicate

Just an idea with money getting tight to put together a small syndicate (10 or so) to take turns every weekend/midweek on a football accumulator.

Gives u a good interest every week with a small initial outlay per person ( say €20 a head?)

Any interest or ideas, post here.

If its a runner we can get it up & running for next round of Premiership on Saturday week.

Can't see this one going down too well Dice. I'd have no interest in filling the pockets of bookies twice a week anyway but GL.
    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
      Can't see this one going down too well Dice. I'd have no interest in filling the pockets of bookies twice a week anyway but GL.
      Fair enough, just seeing if there's any interest.
      Cost effective gambling
      More for the casual punter.
      Just to clarify that its a total outlay of €20 with 1 person each week putting on a bet and winnings pooled.
      Last edited by Dice75; 17-02-11, 17:37.

Comment

how many bets per accum?

Comment

I know a load who do this and they are mug punters in pubs.
          They usually get at least a few nights on the piss out of it.
          As the posters here are generally more clued in then the average punter, I'd say this would be a bit of craic and would more than likely return something (peanuts prob but a profit)
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

No good with the points per bet lingo that I see around. But like a punt and love my footie so would be interested in this.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
              No good with the points per bet lingo that I see around. But like a punt and love my footie so would be interested in this.
              me too!

Comment

cant see anyone that has an edge willing to give up free info - or in other words let mugs piggy back on their success and it would be only worth while doing if you had a couple of those guys on board imo

Comment

Originally posted by stoneystonerson View Post
                  how many bets per accum?
                  Whatever the general concensus is, I doubt we'll be too strict.

Comment

Why accumulators?

It would be far better to get everyone to ante up the cash first and each week two people choose one single bet each.

Get all the members of the syndicate to choose which bet they prefer.

Determine what % of bank to be bet at the start determined by the odds.

e.g)
                    5/1 - 8/1 will be 2% of bank
                    Evens - 2/1 will be 10% of bank

2 people have access to the betfair account.

After 12 months the balance is divided up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                      cant see anyone that has an edge willing to give up free info - or in other words let mugs piggy back on their success and it would be only worth while doing if you had a couple of those guys on board imo
                      I would think its more for fun with larger priced accumulaters, if someone has an edge on them fair play to them!

Comment

Originally posted by CheckRaise View Post
                        Why accumulators?

It would be far better to get everyone to ante up the cash first and each week two people choose one single bet each.

Get all the members of the syndicate to choose which bet they prefer.

Determine what % of bank to be bet at the start determined by the odds.

e.g)
                        5/1 - 8/1 will be 2% of bank
                        Evens - 2/1 will be 10% of bank

2 people have access to the betfair account.

After 12 months the balance is divided up.

My thinking would be that all money put into a/c up front & every person takes a turn with whatever bet they want in a round robin way with each person betting 10% of the pool (asssuming 10 people) & if all went well and the pool grew maybe reduce that to 5%.

Anyway all input welcomed & we'll see if there is enough interest.

I think Nuck & DonkMagnet above are the type of punters this would be aimed at.
                        Not really for the €1k on a 2/5 shot punters, more for the craic & glory.
                        Last edited by Dice75; 17-02-11, 18:36.

Comment

Must get the lotto one going again, we were so fucking close.
                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Im inski for this if it happens
                            Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                              My thinking would be that all money put into a/c up front & every person takes a turn with whatever bet they want in a round robin way with each person betting 10% of the pool (asssuming 10 people) & if all went well and the pool grew maybe reduce that to 5%.

Anyway all input welcomed & we'll see if there is enough interest.

I think Nuck & DonkMagnet above are the type of punters this would be aimed at.
                              Not really for the €1k on a 2/5 shot punters, more for the craic & glory.
                              Ok guys you can count me in aslong as it open sports as opposed to just soccer.Dont think their much value in soccer to start with and even them crazy accum not much chance of winning.Across sport accum mite be more interesting.

Round Robin sounds good and maybe one week every picks one sport bet and we do accum with them all?

Comment

You do it on the GAA betting thread all the time, why not stick a couple of your tips here for a couple of weeks?

Anyway, I'm in. FWIW I like checkraise's format...

Comment

Count me in if we get enough prepared to invest. Up to eur50.

If its over a ten week period why limit to soccer?

Why not extend to golf and horse racing with both the cheltenham festival in mid march and the US Masters golf in early April in mind and depending on how the early football betting goes? There are plenty of brains to be picked on the forum here re the other sports. Nicky will surely give us the masters winner on his current form.

I'd rather be doing crafty 3/4/5 timers to start, draw no bet in some cases, rather than 10/12 team accumulators, hopefully bulid up a pool slowly but surely and see where that takes us.

Anyway whatever, team gambling, would be a new experience for a me feiner like myself.
                                  "Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing." Jerome K. Jerome Three men in a Boat

Comment

Quite happy to include all sports if that what people want.

I suppose we'll leave it up for the weekend & see how many possibles we get before deciding on the specifics (ie money & format)

Comment

ok count me in, i'd be happier with 3/4/5 timers than anything bigger than that.

each week the choosen 1-2 post their picks and the rest decide on how much to wager could work nicely.

I agree slow and steady at the start, i don't mind having to pump more funds into this if we have to but just not after a few weeks of silly bets

Comment

Inski

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                          You do it on the GAA betting thread all the time, why not stick a couple of your tips here for a couple of weeks?
                                          Bubble stick to the GAA, you seem to have a real good line on it!

& as you said yourself during the World cup, football ain't really your game (betting wise)

Comment

Ok, we have 10 confirmed interested & my thoughts would be to limit it to 10 otherwise people are waiting too long for their turn.

1- Dice75
                                            2- Dont Magnet
                                            3- NuckChorris
                                            4- Twitch1984
                                            5- Corigi
                                            6- Keane
                                            7- GingerMilla
                                            8- Stoneystonerson
                                            9- EnzoScifo
                                            10 - Bubbleking
                                            11 - Spoofingjam

Thank this post if u are definitely in so far.
                                            Last edited by Dice75; 18-02-11, 13:27.

Comment

Next point for discussion is the format.

1- initial amount - €20?
                                              2- round robin, each person gets 10% of kitty for their first bet & review after round 1?
                                              3- all sports included
                                              4- do we put a limit on total odds of each bet?
                                              5 - what account do we use?

Discuss & add anything else to these.

Comment

Anyway, I'm in. FWIW I like checkraise's format...
                                                I post less than 10% of by bets in there these days tbf

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                Bubble stick to the GAA, you seem to have a real good line on it!

& as you said yourself during the World cup, football ain't really your game (betting wise)
                                                This is when I learned my biggest lesson re sports betting. At the time of the world cup Id just log onto betfair willy nilly and go "oh that looks good I'll back that" inevitabily I done my anus over the whole world cup. Since then I adopted a much better approach. I look at a game, think of the bets I want to do, try to come up with my own odds and then compare to betfair. I wasn't surprised recently when I was told thats exactly how a very successful Gambler does it (albeit he is deadly accurate at pricing the market)

Obviously in sports like soccer Im not as good at pricing up as in GAA but Im getting better and since the world cup Im a net winner across all sports not including GAA.

Anyway since this is just for lol's include me please

Comment

Anyway since this is just for lol's include me please
                                                  That the spirit, I can see us in a few months ..............

Comment

is it 10 max?????

in if not

Comment

Originally posted by spoofingjam View Post
                                                      is it 10 max?????

in if not
                                                      Suppose we can run it up to 20 people & have 2 bets per turn.

Comment

1- initial amount - €20?
                                                        €20-€50 is fine with me
                                                        2- round robin, each person gets 10% of kitty for their first bet & review after round 1?
                                                        maybe 5% and we guarantee everyone 2 bets (one big weekend of sport could have everyone getting a bet on), or 4.25% if 12 players.
                                                        3- all sports included
                                                        yup
                                                        nah, am ok if you want to tho
                                                        whatever site gives us a nice bonus on signup
                                                        Should each person come up with 2 bets of their choice and the group vote on which one to go with maybe?

Comment

Suppose we can run it up to 20 people & have 2 bets per turn.
                                                          N1

Comment

If its an option I would put cash in but not take picks. As I only really look at the premiership I would be seriously limiting the choices as I presume betting on the other leagues will be a must to get good value picks.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                                              Should each person come up with 2 bets of their choice and the group vote on which one to go with maybe?
                                                              I like this idea.

The best thing about this will be using the group's knowledge to pick better spots, no point if I pick a retarded bet and everyone else is forced to roll with it.

Comment

I like this idea.

The best thing about this will be using the group's knowledge to pick better spots, no point if I pick a retarded bet and everyone else is forced to roll with it.
                                                                Thats fine as long as u limit it to a straight choice between the two & dont start picking bits from each otherwise u'll never finalise it.

SPOILER
                                                                Think I'll back the discarded bet privatley each week, odds are they'll be the moneymakers
                                                                Last edited by Dice75; 18-02-11, 14:13.

Comment

how abt making it 2 bets each week consisting of 2.5% of the roll
                                                                  10 people 2 x 10 bet accums 2 picks each ??

Comment

Originally posted by Donk Magnet View Post
                                                                    how abt making it 2 bets each week consisting of 2.5% of the roll
                                                                    10 people 2 x 10 bet accums 2 picks each ??
                                                                    My bets wouldn't be that big anyway, prob 3/4 results in soccer or an each way in golf.

Comment

1- initial amount - €20?
                                                                      20-50. 50 is probably the right amount.

5% of current pool at any one time max wager initially and review after each member has been involved.

3- all sports included
                                                                      Yes

no

Open to discussion

It will be a difficult task to introduce procedures that all will agree to but this is the way I see it being run with the various tinkering and changes/improvements as we go along.

We get the pool and the account organised for next weekend.

I don't think the weekly rotation of individual syndicate members putting forward their bet is the best idea as it may come to your week and there just may not be anything you particularly fancy and so therefore pointless to have a bet just for the sake of it.

Member (x) decides next Thurs to go for a max 5% of pool bet on a four timer over the weekend, two six nations matches and two FA Cup matches, all selections win comfortably resulting in a tidy profit for the syndicate. That member can place another bet the following weekend if he/she chooses under that scheme of things. However if the bet goes down then the member cannot be involved in another bet until :
                                                                      a) Every other member has used their 5% of pool or,
                                                                      b) The original pool is restored.

Furthermore, to combat any betting eccentricity amongst the members, and to prevent for example anyone placing their 5% on Crawley to beat Utd next weekend, I would propose that all bets are subject to receiving three thanks or 33% of members agreement just for reasonableness sake, on being inserted into the thread.

Theoretically, everyone involved could use their 5% next weekend under this idea, but lets face it, its not just about having a bet, we want to make a profit here using whatever intuition/experience/wise counsel/edge etc we have at our disposal.

They are my preliminary thoughts on how best to run the betting syndicate.
                                                                      "Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing." Jerome K. Jerome Three men in a Boat

Comment

I've been reading this with some interest. Surely though when the funds are collected that then becomes a bank and you make that 100 points. Max points bet is say 5.

What about a system where you need 1 person to thank a post to do a 1 point bet and 5 people to thank it to do a 5 point bet.

If this goes ahead then I'm interested as long as all sports are included.
                                                                        'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

What about this:

Everybody is allowed to put forward 1/2 bets each week. We set up a poll and the most popular bet/two bets gets x% of the roll put on it...

Thoughts?

Comment

What about this:

Everybody is allowed to put forward 1/2 bets each week. We set up a poll and the most popular bet/two bets gets x% of the roll put on it...

Thoughts?
                                                                            I don't think its a great idea because the more popular sports will more likely get support.

How about everbody gets to use 1 point for their first bet, if you win on that bet then you can use 2 points the next time and it goes up to a max of 5. If you lose you remain at 1 point. If win a bet and then lose a bet you revert to 1 point?
                                                                            Last edited by eagle eye; 18-02-11, 19:26.
                                                                            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

#39
                                                                              its not abt the sport its abt winning people will just have to think of it that way

Comment

#40
                                                                                count me in
                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Think a lot of you are overthinking this and trying to complicate something that's meant to be straight forward, a bit of fun and a chance at a few quid.

If you start with 10 players at €20 each, that's a €200 bank. Each week 2 players get to place a bet up to €20 on whatever they want, at whatever odds they want. Maybe have 1 bet placed midweek and 1 bet at the weekend. No bets on any event that lasts more than 4 days.

Any profits are banked and after 5 weeks each person will have punted ~€20. The bank is tallied, and then rinse and repeat for 10% of whatever is left.

No votes, no polls, just follow the guys picks and keep your fingers crossed whether you agree with them or not imo

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                    Think a lot of you are overthinking this and trying to complicate something that's meant to be straight forward, a bit of fun and a chance at a few quid.

If you start with 10 players at €20 each, that's a €200 bank. Each week 2 players get to place a bet up to €20 on whatever they want, at whatever odds they want. Maybe have 1 bet placed midweek and 1 bet at the weekend. No bets on any event that lasts more than 4 days.

Any profits are banked and after 5 weeks each person will have punted ~€20. The bank is tallied, and then rinse and repeat for 10% of whatever is left.

No votes, no polls, just follow the guys picks and keep your fingers crossed whether you agree with them or not imo
                                                                                    IMO there's not much point in doing a group betting thing if you're not going to leverage the collective knowledge of the group somehow.

Just letting everyone pick any bet they want and fire away is pointless, I'd have more fun picking random bets myself and just backing them on my own.

Having group input into which bets are picked will give us the best chance of picking the best bets, and it would also probably help a lot of people learn more about picking good bets as people explain why they're supporting one pick over another.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      IMO there's not much point in doing a group betting thing if you're not going to leverage the collective knowledge of the group somehow.

Just letting everyone pick any bet they want and fire away is pointless, I'd have more fun picking random bets myself and just backing them on my own.

Having group input into which bets are picked will give us the best chance of picking the best bets, and it would also probably help a lot of people learn more about picking good bets as people explain why they're supporting one pick over another.
                                                                                      Say i want to back a Crawley/Leyton Orient double for my bet, shouldn't i be allowed rather than everyone tell me what i know, and that's that Utd and Arsenal should walk both? Or if i want to back some NFL team that eagle eye says haven't a prayer? If it's only a €20 outlay and you can sweat 9 other bets for a share of the profits, just sit back and enjoy it

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Can we just agree on something simple?.

I think the simpler we make it the better.

I do however agree that team imput is the main reason behind this.So some sort of agreement on the selection each week or a percentage of people agreeing.

I have most to lose as most of my decents bet each week on my own are own Cricket/NFL/Golf so im less likely to have people agree with my selections as most people here probably dont following them execpt the Golf maybe (NFL season over i know)

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Say i want to back a Crawley/Leyton Orient double for my bet, shouldn't i be allowed rather than everyone tell me what i know, and that's that Utd and Arsenal should walk both? Or if i want to back some NFL team that eagle eye says haven't a prayer? If it's only a €20 outlay and you can sweat 9 other bets for a share of the profits, just sit back and enjoy it
                                                                                          That's just not particularly what I want to do tbh.

What I've said above is what I'd like to get out of this, if everybody else has a different idea that's obv fair enough, but I'm not really interested in the format you've outlined.

Nothing wrong with it, it's just not what I want.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Would it not defeat the purpose of been a team betting syndicate?

I mean if we go that way we mite aswell just have a challange 10 us use our money for our own bets and see who has the most after X amount of weeks based on same starting bank.

Winner keeps whatever we agree.€20 each or something.

I think we should all post up reasons for our bets and then atleast 60% of us agree on the bet or close to it?

Comment

#47
                                                                                              I don't buy this notion that nobody will vote for a bet for a less popular sport.

If somebody suggests a bet and gives a well-reasoned thought process behind why it's good value you'll have no problem getting people to go with it IMO.

This again will help people learn how to pick good bets, which is the potentially the best thing this syndicate could offer.

Comment

#48

Point taken, if it was my last post you're referring too. Maybe I am complicating what is a fairly simple idea. We'll see what Dice/Nuck make of it?

It was just an idea really but probably a lot of work for whoever is maintaining the account at the end of the day. Could work though imo.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by GingerMilla View Post
                                                                                                  Point taken, if it was my last post you're referring too. Maybe I am complicating what is a fairly simple idea. We'll see what Dice/Nuck make of it?

It was just an idea really but probably a lot of work for whoever is maintaining the account at the end of the day. Could work though imo.
                                                                                                  Nah i wasn't referring to any post, just a general view of the last couple of hours. I read it earlier and hadn't put my name down yet becasue i wanted to see what direction it was going. I'm not a fan at all of everyone's picks being scrutinised and needing a majority vote or whatever to place it. Thoought it was just going to be a lotto style stick your €20 in, and you get a share of 9 other bets should they scoop.

I wouldn't care if eagle eye wanted to bet on a 5 team accum from American Football, but if he had to put 2 choices up for us to vote on. One was a 5 team NFL accum and the other was Blackburn to beat Utd, I'd pick Blackburn becasue at least i could watch that with a vested interest kwim? I've no say anyway because i haven't put my name down but was just throwing it out there!

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    between everyone on here i think theres enough intel on alot of sports so we can all make some money . how abt start off with 120 place on 1/12 shots for 100 bets at the end we have 330,000

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      I dont think we will be able to please everyone here with this.
                                                                                                      Therefore I will put a proposal up based on general concensus so far with a list on monday morning.
                                                                                                      If you're happy with the proposal add your name to the list.
                                                                                                      If people want to go a different way thats up to them.
                                                                                                      Otherwise we'll still be going round in circles come Christmas.

Keep ideas coming till then!
                                                                                                      Last edited by Dice75; 18-02-11, 21:35.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Ok, this is based on general consencus & from talking to people at IPB Drinks on Saturday.
                                                                                                        The thinking is to keep it as simple as possible & just a bit of fun.

1) 10 members maximum.
                                                                                                        2) €20 per person.
                                                                                                        3) 2 members bet per week (5 weeks to go through everyone)
                                                                                                        4) Each member gets 10% of the initial pool to bet with.
                                                                                                        5) Random draw to decide order
                                                                                                        6) If someone wants to skip a week, someone else behind them may step in.
                                                                                                        7) If 2 or more want to step in, decision made by member opting out.
                                                                                                        8) All sports included.
                                                                                                        9) One bet per turn or two if u wish to put it to a vote.
                                                                                                        10) After everyone's gone we'll see where we are.

I think this should give ye enough information on whether you're in or not for the moment.
                                                                                                        We'll sort out the account once we have ten.
                                                                                                        Add your name to the list below if you are in with preference to those who have already stated an interest.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          SIGN UP LIST

1) Dice75
                                                                                                          2) DeadParrot
                                                                                                          3) Bubbleking
                                                                                                          4) DonkMagnet
                                                                                                          5) Nuckchorris
                                                                                                          6) Keane
                                                                                                          7) Stoneystonerson
                                                                                                          8) Enzoscifo
                                                                                                          9) Spoofingjam
                                                                                                          10) GingerMilla

The above are off origional list.

Also interested - Luckylawz, Jayoose, AKDonk.
                                                                                                          Still waiting on 2 from origional list to confirm - Corigi, Twitch1984.
                                                                                                          Will check back tonite at 9pm to finalise list.
                                                                                                          Last edited by Dice75; 21-02-11, 14:40.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            In

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              SIGN UP LIST

1) Dice75
                                                                                                              2) DeadParrot
                                                                                                              3) Luckylawz ###
                                                                                                              4)
                                                                                                              5)
                                                                                                              6)
                                                                                                              7)
                                                                                                              8)
                                                                                                              9)
                                                                                                              10)
                                                                                                              ### only if there is room for me??

you can let me know anyway, cheers

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                collective series of one times please

yeah im in

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  in

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    in

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      In
                                                                                                                      48

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        In (is this now first come first served, should be the 10 from previous page imo)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X