X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Multi Sport Competition

edit.
    Initial selections included.

Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 20-01-20, 21:56.

All initial selection to be made by 7pm on Friday 10th January. (before the HCup rugby recommences that evening).
    PM your selections to me
    1. Barcelona
    2. Salzburg
    3 Burnley etc
    Please be clear on names and if possible give first name & surname to avoid confusion.

Watch out for.
    Event 3 is the EPL Last Place at the end of the year, not the season.
    Event 31 Darts Premier League, look out for the scoring system. Idea is to get second here.
    Event 32 Darts World Championship, note we want English players only.

Changes throughout year.
    3 changes can be made to events, up to 5 days before the start date of that event.
    Changes must be made by 21:59 5 days beforehand, I'll update exact deadlines for changes as we go along.
    Changes must be made on this thread, no editing or deleting changes once posted.
    Post something like 'Change Derby from El Gran Senor to Secreto' to do a change.
    Obviously events which are marked STARTED no changes will be allowed.

Official results on the End Date of each event will count, subsequent disqualifications don't count.
    Where an event has playoffs or a final following a league phase (e.g. Munster Hurling, Aussie Rules) then the results of the final are what matters.
    (Darts Premier League event is the exception to this rule as League Phase Only is specified).

If any events end in a tie for first or for places then relevant points will be split.

Any disagreements on events winners or points I'll ask 3 non-involved members of IPB to decide.

Entry Fee & Prize money.
    Entry €40. I'll come back with payment details in next few days.

If 7 or less entries, winner takes all.
    8+ entries then 80% for 1st and 20% for second.
    14+ entries then I'll make it 3 places,

New rule.
    If any event has a unanimous choice (e.g., everyone picks Waterford to win Munster) then I'll replace the event with something in the Olympics to keep it at 40 events. I'll organise this a few months before the Olympics to keep the 'pick in advance' element.

All edits below.
    Boxing Medals.
    This is cumulative of both mens and womens events. I'm going to use the standard way of counting a medal table, which is Gold Medals first, then silver, then bronze. So 3 Golds and No Silver is always ahead of 2 Golds and 5 Silver.
    Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 01-01-20, 12:53.

Comment

Some wiki links to help - a mix of links to the 2020 competition we are looking to get the winner of, and previous editions for reference.

Soccer. Champions League. Europa League
      Cricket. Last Years T20 Blast.
      Cricket. T20 World Cup 2020. Previous edition.
      Ice Hockey. Current season in progress
      Baseball. Last Season. Stupid Houston not winning
      Boxing. Rio and London
      Cycling. 2019 TDF
      Darts Darts Premier League
      Field Hockey. 2020 edition. Rio 4 years ago
      Handball. Two years ago.
      Volleyball. Tokyo this year. Rio. 2018 Worlds
      Basketball.Season is in-play at the moment
      Curling. 2020 edition. Last years results
      Rugby 7s Rio.
      GAA Football League Division Two
      Rugby League Last Year
      Aussie Rules. Last Year
      Tennis. 2019 Davis Cup
      Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 02-01-20, 20:50.

Comment

selection sent!

Comment

...In again, will send before deadline...Posting to bump thread incase I wasn't only slow one to miss it...

Comment

Sentski
            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Selection sent!

Comment

shrapnel.
                mdoug.
                Flushdraw.
                mcnugget.

received so far. I'm 80% finished on mine.
                Keep em coming, 3 days until deadline.

Comment

Sent
                  mostly
                  Basketball selection to follow,
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Sent, hope have them on right lines...
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Hope to get to this tomorrow, work diary looks pretty light.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                        Hope to get to this tomorrow, work diary looks pretty light.
                        Good stuff, I'll be flexible a few hours past the 7pm deadline, though it's probably the kind of thing that either gets done by 5.30pm on a Friday or it never gets done.
                        7 confirmed entries
                        shrapnel.
                        mdoug.
                        Flushdraw.
                        mcnugget.
                        ArmaniJeans.
                        Strewelpeter.
                        pokerhand.

Need a GAA Football Team (Div 2) from mdoug, and a basketball team from Strewelpeter.
                        Everyone else's entry seemed pleasingly perfect.

Hopefully pick up a few more of the regulars (or newbies) to get it into double figures.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                          Good stuff, I'll be flexible a few hours past the 7pm deadline, though it's probably the kind of thing that either gets done by 5.30pm on a Friday or it never gets done.
                          7 confirmed entries
                          shrapnel.
                          mdoug.
                          Flushdraw.
                          mcnugget.
                          ArmaniJeans.
                          Strewelpeter.
                          pokerhand.

Need a GAA Football Team (Div 2) from mdoug, and a basketball team from Strewelpeter.
                          Everyone else's entry seemed pleasingly perfect.

Hopefully pick up a few more of the regulars (or newbies) to get it into double figures.
                          I am hopefully going to get this looked at tomorrow but am up the walls at work. If I was to pick my rugby one and the last place premiership tomorrow could there be a grace period for the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                            I am hopefully going to get this looked at tomorrow but am up the walls at work. If I was to pick my rugby one and the last place premiership tomorrow could there be a grace period for the rest?
                            Yeah, can be flexible but I'd be thinking Saturday lunchtime type of grace period.
                            Problem is there's something every day - Saturday evening has the NFL quarter-finals, some Olympic volleyball qualifiers, doubtless some big horse race that might impact the gold cup betting. Probably other stuff that I'm not aware of.

Comment

Now up to 8 confirmed entries.

shrapnel.
                              mdoug.
                              Flushdraw.
                              mcnugget.
                              ArmaniJeans.
                              Strewelpeter.
                              pokerhand.
                              6starpool.

Will close off around 1pm tomorrow and feed them into my control spreadsheet.
                              If that clashes with your nearly completed entry then let me know and I'll hold off for 20 minutes.
                              Anyone with an entry already in can pm me any changes they want to make up until the same time, so they aren't at a disadvantage.

Comment

Winning selections sent

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                  Winning selections sent
                                  ...In this case then I sent the 2nd place selections... Will transfer money shortly...

Comment

A flurry of nick-of-time entries with premierstone, RichieM and luckforsome pm-ing them in, and Lao Lao faxing his selections in from his Santa Ponsa apartment.

So we are 12 = €480. Thinks that's probably it, no-one else indicated they were going in (limpwhacker might still make it?)
                                    I'm going out, so wont be c&p'ing them into the spreadsheet tonight. Will do so tomorrow lunchtime, and post them up for all to see.

Comment

A flurry of nick-of-time entries with premierstone, RichieM and luckforsome pm-ing them in, and Lao Lao faxing his selections in from his Santa Ponsa apartment.

So we are 12 = €480. Thinks that's probably it, no-one else indicated they were going in (limpwhacker might still make it?)
                                      I'm going out, so wont be c&p'ing them into the spreadsheet tonight. Will do so tomorrow lunchtime, and post them up for all to see.
                                      It was tough work getting the correct international dialing code!!

Comment

Selections sent . I obviously fckd up sending it. Will try again

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post
                                          Selections sent . I obviously fckd up sending it. Will try again
                                          Great, got them this time anyway.
                                          Going to put all the entries into spreadsheet now, will finish around 1.15pm, then post them up.
                                          So if anyone has any last minute changes to make, or anyone furiously compiling a new entry, you've an hour.

Comment

Selections.
                                            Will put this in Post #1 in a week or so.
                                            Please take a minute or two to check I have your selections correct, fairer to fix it now rather than later.

Comment

H-Cup rugby is a dead event with everyone on Leinster. As said earlier, I'll come back with a replacement in mid-February, probably another Olympic event.
                                              Aussie Open tennis looked to be heading the same way with Djokovic, till a hero came along late picking Medvedev.
                                              Other than that looks to be a really decent spread of picks in every event.

Afore-mentioned Aussie Open Tennis, and the NFL Superbowl will be first to complete, during the early days of February.

Comment

13 x €40 = €520.

So 1st = €400, 2nd = €120.

Will get back to you with payment details sometime next week.

Comment

Shit, what happened to the gsw?
                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                    Shit, what happened to the gsw?
                                                    It's the cycle of American sports - salary cap and draft picks means the champions will usually struggle a few years later.
                                                    I didn't say anything because it was a valid choice.

Comment

It's the cycle of American sports - salary cap and draft picks means the champions will usually struggle a few years later.
                                                      I didn't say anything because it was a valid choice.

Looks like a dead rubber so. Teach me to check odds

Comment

AJ, can I use my first change to switch from gsw to the bucks please

Comment

Hah, that event has already started, so as per rules, No.

You still have lots to cheer on there, just really need to get Lakers and Bucs beaten. (Only Lao Lao has Clippers).
                                                          Plenty of good teams around the 10/1 - 20/1 who might do it.

Comment

Hah, that event has already started, so as per rules, No.

You still have lots to cheer on there, just really need to get Lakers and Bucs beaten. (Only Lao Lao has Clippers).
                                                            Plenty of good teams around the 10/1 - 20/1 who might do it.
                                                            You know, I really should set Rounders on you

I really could quibble about the logic of that call given the event was already in running, but am too lazy

Let it ride so!

Comment

Because you're willing to give up one of the potentially crucial change chips (i.e., not looking for a free swap), I'm inclined to say OK.

But I've snookered it by saying in Post 2 'Obviously events which are marked STARTED no changes will be allowed.' And this is one of the events marked 'Started'.

To be honest I didn't put much thought into it at the time - I never really envisaged a situation where someone would make such a bad pick in one of these on-going events that they'd want to change it immediately.

I have a retainer of indo judges (DP, Mellor, Sitch) so can ask them if you want.

Comment

Because you're willing to give up one of the potentially crucial change chips (i.e., not looking for a free swap), I'm inclined to say OK.

But I've snookered it by saying in Post 2 'Obviously events which are marked STARTED no changes will be allowed.' And this is one of the events marked 'Started'.

To be honest I didn't put much thought into it at the time - I never really envisaged a situation where someone would make such a bad pick in one of these on-going events that they'd want to change it immediately.

I have a retainer of indo judges (DP, Mellor, Sitch) so can ask them if you want.
                                                                It's not that big a deal, but sure why not.

My point is that it was already an in-running event when everyone submitted their pick and there has no change in circumstances, i.e. not getting unfair information over other entries. So can't see why it can't be allowed.

So let appeal just for the craic

Comment

Fight, fight, fight.....

Comment

It's not that big a deal, but sure why not.

My point is that it was already an in-running event when everyone submitted their pick and there has no change in circumstances, i.e. not getting unfair information over other entriesSo can't see why it can't be allowed.

So let appeal just for the craic
                                                                    It'll probably have little difference either way but personally, I don't agree with the bolded bit.

You are getting an advantage as you are getting to see what everybody else submitted in a started event before getting to choose your team.

Nobody else had this info to hand when picking their team for this event.

Admittingly, it will cost you one of your changes so it may put you at a disadvantage before the competition starts.

Anyhow, will leave it to the three Indo's to make their ruling, that's what they are there for.

Comment

wow didn’t take long to get knocked out of an event

Comment

To be honest I didn't put much thought into it at the time - I never really envisaged a situation where someone would make such a bad pick in one of these on-going events that they'd want to change it immediately
                                                                        Ouch

Comment

3 changes can be made to events, up to 5 days before the start date of that event.
                                                                          Changes must be made by 21:59 5 days beforehand, I'll update exact deadlines for changes as we go along.
                                                                          Changes must be made on this thread, no editing or deleting changes once posted.
                                                                          Post something like 'Change Derby from El Gran Senor to Secreto' to do a change.
                                                                          ***********

Late Jan/early Feb change deadlines.

Comment

***********

Late Jan/early Feb change deadlines.
                                                                            ...Is it too late to change my NFL selection?...

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                              ...Is it too late to change my NFL selection?...
                                                                              a LOT of people knocked out of that one already!

Comment

#40

Comment

#41
                                                                                  This has been okay-ed by a majority of the indo judges, so pokerhand is on Milwaukee Bucks in the basketball and has just 2 changes remaining.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Payment transferred to luckforsome and mdoug for last years winning.
                                                                                    Opening Post updated with all initial selections, for easy reference.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      I'll be strict about these on-going deadlines as getting differentials or blockers in at the last moment can be crucial near the end.

Feb change deadlines.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Can I change my top 6 nations try scorer to josh Adams please.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Djokovic in the final. only lao lao losing out with Medvedev out in the 16s, but will it be a 2 or 4 points loss?

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Earwig O again.

Result 1/40
                                                                                            Tennis - Australian Open Men.

1st. Novak Djokovic. 4 points - everyone except Lao Lao.
                                                                                            2nd. Dominic Thiem. 2 points - no-one.
                                                                                            Semi-Finalists. 1 point - no-one.

Completed Events

I think everyone can visualise what the leaderboard looks like
                                                                                            I'll put one up tomorrow after the NFL Superb Owl when the points will be spread a little more.
                                                                                            San Francisco (Lao Lao and shrapnel) take on Kansas City (Flushdraw and Strewelpeter) for the 4,2 points in the early hours tonight, live on BBC.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Result 2/40
                                                                                              Superbowl.

1st. Kansas City Chiefs. 4 points - Flushdraw, Strewelpeter.
                                                                                              2nd. San Francisco '49ers. 2 points - Lao Lao, shrapnel.

Completed Events

Leader Board
                                                                                              Figure in brackets is number of changes used.
                                                                                              I've noticed over the years that no events seem to conclude in February, so the Cheltenham Gold Cup in mid-March will be next to finish. 6 Nations Rugby will end around the same time and Jonny May & Josh Adams are already setting the pace. GAA Div 2 also looks like being fun with all 100% records gone after a mere 2 games.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                I'll be strict about these on-going deadlines as getting differentials or blockers in at the last moment can be crucial near the end.

Late Feb/early March change deadlines.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  H-Cup rugby is a dead event with everyone on Leinster. As said earlier, I'll come back with a replacement in mid-February, probably another Olympic event.
                                                                                                  Seemed little point in asking ye to pick a Mens Waterpolo team or something now when there has to be doubt over whether any of our Olympic events go ahead at all. Hopefully we'll know more in a month.

Rugby 6 Nations Top Try Scorer
                                                                                                  Looks like there is going to be some disruption here with Ireland v Italy seeming certain to be called off, and presumably Italy v England in some doubt as well.
                                                                                                  Going by 2001 (foot and mouth) they will probably reschedule these games for later in the year and they'll count in this competition. If they never get rescheduled and its just these 1 or 2 games then I'll consider it to be a valid result. 3 or more games lost and I'll consider it a dead event. Fair, I hope.

Other than the HCup rugby I won't replace any other lost events and we'll play it out with the listed events.
                                                                                                  If 20 events or something mad get cancelled I'll see what the fairest thing to do is, though if that happens the world is probably on fire anyway and it won't matter.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    March change deadlines.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Soccer Champions League and Europa League

Probably odds-on now that these are either cancelled or at best severely delayed.
                                                                                                      Points are 4-2-1-1 (total 8) so I'll rule it as 1 point each for the quarter-finalists if the competition gets curtailed at that stage. Or 2 points for each team if it gets stopped at the semi-final stage.

Just thought I'd make sure to say this before some of our selections like Liverpool and PSG play their Last 16 games tonight.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Late March/early April change deadlines.

Baseball has been taken off the deadline list, as the start of the season has been delayed for at least a few weeks.
                                                                                                        GAA Div2, Ice-Hockey and Basketball are all taking unscheduled pauses also.

********
                                                                                                        Looks like we'll have an actual result tomorrow. Not to universal IPB-BBV acclaim admittedly, but the Cheltenham Gold Cup seems likely to go ahead.
                                                                                                        All our selections go to post, and we cover 6 of the first 7 in the betting.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Result 3/40
                                                                                                          Cheltenham Gold Cup.

1st. Al Boum Photo. 4 points - Strewelpeter, Lao Lao, mdoug, mcnugget, pokerhand, RichieM, luckforsome.
                                                                                                          2nd. Santini. 2 points - Flushdraw.
                                                                                                          3rd. LostInTranslation. 1 point - 6starpool.

Completed Events

It's all very 2018 with Strewelpeter making the early running.
                                                                                                          Leader Board
                                                                                                          Figure in brackets is number of changes used.
                                                                                                          Fuck knows what the next event to finish will be. The next few weeks should have been quite busy with the 6Nations, GAA League and Masters Golf all set to complete. All these are on hold, possibly for ever.
                                                                                                          As things stand the only event which looks as if it might go-ahead short-term is the World Mens Curling at the end of March.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            I love the irony

Also, when all the events are cancelled for the year we should roll over the scores to 2021
                                                                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Olympics postponed til 2021

The 2020 Olympic Games will be postponed by a year because of coronavirus, says International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound.

Where does that leave us?

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Like everything else postponed, cancelled and start again next year?

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  No particular rush to make a decision, happy to let it go another month and see what way the land lies.
                                                                                                                  Clearly we are down Euro2020, Curling, Ryder Cup, Olympics x 5 events, none of which will take place.

There's a chance I suppose that there'll be an epic second half of the sports year when some random weekend in September has a tennis major, golf major, 6 nations rugby, Derby, Champions League final all happening within 12 hours of each other. And it'd be good to be part of that. If everyone agreed I could probably come up with a few replacements to get it to 35 events or so.

I don't think there's any sport happening anywhere for the next month (even the Aussie Rules stopped after this weekends first round of games) so we can make a decision later.

But probably 1/20 that we have to void it. Bleak stuff.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    No particular rush to make a decision, happy to let it go another month and see what way the land lies.
                                                                                                                    Clearly we are down Euro2020, Curling, Ryder Cup, Olympics x 5 events, none of which will take place.

There's a chance I suppose that there'll be an epic second half of the sports year when some random weekend in September has a tennis major, golf major, 6 nations rugby, Derby, Champions League final all happening within 12 hours of each other. And it'd be good to be part of that. If everyone agreed I could probably come up with a few replacements to get it to 35 events or so.

I don't think there's any sport happening anywhere for the next month (even the Aussie Rules stopped after this weekends first round of games) so we can make a decision later.

But probably 1/20 that we have to void it. Bleak stuff.
                                                                                                                    ...I'd be afraid to think what replacements we could come up with that are still going ahead... Would be class if we had about 30 events in the last 4 months... A world without sport is not a world I'm happy in...

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Need to add in virtual sports and Marbula One

The first marble RACE of the brand new Marbula One! (Formula 1 for marbles) This weekend, our racers will have to master the course of the Savage Speeders, t...

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                        Need to add in virtual sports and Marbula One
                                                                                                                        That marble race was actually great fun, watched all 10 minutes of it which is 10 minutes more than I've ever watched of our baseball event.
                                                                                                                        I'd have lost a small fortune betting in running.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X