No announcement yet.

2022 Multi Sport Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... Hate to burn a 3rd change but can't not have a runner, especially one so strong... 3rd change, Women's Wimbledon. Ashley Fuck Liam Barty I retire to Iga Swatiek...

Comment

This is just a drill, you don't have to do anything until mid-July at the earliest.

14 of the initial 26 events are complete - and NBA basketball, US Open Golf and World Cup of Darts will join them in the next week.
      So will start to run out of events quite soon.
      Putting together a rough outline of events for the second half of the season.
      Something like this so far
      Sport Event 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Start Date End Date End Month
      1 Soccer Championship as at 31/12 4 2 1 30/07/22 31/12/22 Dec
      2 Soccer EPL Top Scorer 31/12 4 2 1 06/08/22 31/12/22 Dec
      3 Soccer FIFA World Cup 4 2 1 21/11/22 18/12/22 Dec
      4 Soccer FIFA World Cup Top goal scorer 4 2 1 21/11/22 18/12/22 Dec
      5 Snooker UK Championship 4 2 1 1 08/11/22 20/11/22 Nov
      6 Cricket T20 World Cup 4 2 1 1 16/10/22 13/11/22 Nov
      7 Darts World Championship Best English player 4 2 1 13/12/22 01/01/23 Dec
      8 Handball Womens European Championship 4 2 1 04/11/22 20/11/22 Nov
      9 Horses Arc de Triomphe 4 2 1 02/10/22 02/10/22 Oct
      10 Horses King George Chase 4 2 1 26/12/22 26/12/22 Dec
      11 Golf Presidents Cup Top Rest Of World Points Scorer 4 2 1 22/09/22 25/09/22 Sept
      12 Volleyball Mens World Cup 4 2 1 26/08/22 11/09/22 Sept
      13 Rugby 7s Mens World Cup 4 2 1 09/09/22 11/09/22 Sept
      14 Tennis Davis Cup 4 2 1 1 14/09/22 27/11/22 Nov
      15 Tennis US Open Men 4 2 1 1 29/08/22 11/09/22 Sept
      16 Rugby Autumn Internationals, England top try scorer 4 2 1 06/11/22 26/11/22 Nov
      17 Athletics European Championships, Country Most Medals 4 2 1 15/08/22 21/08/22 August
      I think 1->14 are fairly straightforward and copies of events that have worked before.

15- Men's Tennis failed before when everyone picked the same player - I think perhaps it might work now as the old guys are nearing the end and there are young players challenging for majors.
      16 - I haven't used the Autumn Internationals in Rugby before, but it is one of the few sports going up directly against Qatar. But everyone has different opponents/amount of games, so limiting it to one countries try-scorers seems sensible.
      17 - this is new but I don't think it's too left field. There's 3 or 4 countries who usually dominate but also scope for anyone (usually mdoug) to do a bit of research and find out that Portugal or Belgium have a golden generation of athletes. Crucially (for me), this is the only event I could find that actually finishes in August. I hate too long gaps between events.

17 events would mean 43 overall, but gives some slack if any of them don't work because everyone picks the same, which I think is possible in a few spots this year.

But as always, if there's anything anyone can come with that I've missed then let me now and I'll look into in. Or if you an make a case why any of the above shouldn't be in let me know.
      (Note, I passed over Rugby League World Cup and Womens Rugby Union World Cup because of extreme odds-on favs)

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
        This is just a drill, you don't have to do anything until mid-July at the earliest.

14 of the initial 26 events are complete - and NBA basketball, US Open Golf and World Cup of Darts will join them in the next week.
        So will start to run out of events quite soon.
        Putting together a rough outline of events for the second half of the season.
        Something like this so far
        1 Soccer Championship as at 31/12 4 2 1 30/07/22 31/12/22 Dec
        11 Golf Presidents Cup Top Rest Of World Points Scorer 4 2 1 22/09/22 25/09/22 Sept
        16 Rugby Autumn Internationals, England top try scorer 4 2 1 06/11/22 26/11/22 Nov
        17 Athletics European Championships, Country Most Medals 4 2 1 15/08/22 21/08/22 August
        I think 1->14 are fairly straightforward and copies of events that have worked before.

15- Men's Tennis failed before when everyone picked the same player - I think perhaps it might work now as the old guys are nearing the end and there are young players challenging for majors.
        16 - I haven't used the Autumn Internationals in Rugby before, but it is one of the few sports going up directly against Qatar. But everyone has different opponents/amount of games, so limiting it to one countries try-scorers seems sensible.
        17 - this is new but I don't think it's too left field. There's 3 or 4 countries who usually dominate but also scope for anyone (usually mdoug) to do a bit of research and find out that Portugal or Belgium have a golden generation of athletes. Crucially (for me), this is the only event I could find that actually finishes in August. I hate too long gaps between events.

17 events would mean 43 overall, but gives some slack if any of them don't work because everyone picks the same, which I think is possible in a few spots this year.

But as always, if there's anything anyone can come with that I've missed then let me now and I'll look into in. Or if you an make a case why any of the above shouldn't be in let me know.
        (Note, I passed over Rugby League World Cup and Womens Rugby Union World Cup because of extreme odds-on favs)
        i think this is great and i'll definitely have a look and have more comments/ideas if i can find some, but one that jumps out is why not replace 16 england top try scorer with rugby league world cup try scorer, there will be at least 7 or 8 candidates easily rather than 3 or 4 max.

Comment

Nice to see Roglic winning the Dauphine to give a bit of hope that the TdF will be competitive.

Comment

Wimbledon change to Swiatek please

Comment

2022 MultiSport Results - Google Sheets

Late June/Early July Change Deadlines
              Tennis - Wimbledon - deadline 22/06
              Cycling - TDF - deadline 26/06
              Field Hockey - Women's World Cup - deadline 26/06
              Golf - The (British) Open - deadline 09/07

all deadline times 21:59

Ice-Hockey final starts tonight, best of 7 games. Colorado (Keane, SP) are 4/7 favs against 5/4 Tampa Bay (pokerhand, AJ, Richie, LL)
              A game every few days, game 7 if needed on the 28th June.

Comment

Result 15/40
                Basketball - NBA Championship

1st Golden State Warriors. 4 points - luckforsome, shrapnel, Solksjaer!, RichieM.
                2nd. Boston Celts. 2 points - no-one.
                Semi. Miami and Dallas. 1 point - no-one.

Leaderboard
                New leader alert
                with luckforsome being the latest owner of top spot.
                Golf Darts Ice Hockey Tennis Golf Cycling Field Hockey Cricket
                US Open World Cup Stanley Cup Wimbledon British Open TDF World Cup (W) T20 Blast
                luckforsome (3) 31.33 Jon Rahm Scotland Vegas GK Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar Netherlands Somerset
                limpwhacker (3) 30 Dustin Johnson Scotland Florida Panthers Iga Swiatek Dustin Johnson Pogacar Netherlands Notts Outlaws
                mdoug (2) 29 Louis Oosthuizen Wales Carolina Hurricanes Ashleigh Barty Tony Finau Pogacar Netherlands Surrey
                Keane (2) 28.33 Koepka Netherlands Colorado Ava Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar Netherlands Notts Outlaws
                shrapnel (1) 28.33 Jon Rahm Scotland Toronto ML Osaka Dustin Johnson Pogacar Netherlands Kent
                pokerhand (3) 26 Jon Rahm Wales Tampa Bay Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar USA Notts Outlaws
                ArmaniJeans (1) 23.33 Jon Rahm Wales Tampa Bay Ashleigh Barty Oosthuizen Pogacar Argentina Surrey
                premierstone (2) 23 Xander Schauffle Wales Carolina Hurricanes Ashleigh Barty Rory Pogacar Netherlands Sussex
                Solksjaer! (2) 19.33 Jon Rahm Wales Minnesota Osaka Rory Roglic Netherlands Somerset
                RichieM 17 Dustin Johnson Scotland Tampa Bay Ashleigh Barty Dustin Johnson Pogacar Argentina Notts Outlaws
                Strewelpeter (1) 15 Morikawa England Colorado Ava Radacanu Morikawa Pogacar Netherlands Hampshire
                Lao Lao (1) 13 Jon Rahm Wales Tampa Bay Osaka Shane Lowry Roglic Netherlands Yorkshire
                Darts World Cup and US Open Golf conclude on Sunday night.

Comment

other than oosthuizen, the US open is stacked! no doubt we'll lose a couple of serious contenders after saturday, but that is a stunning top 20 in contention!!!

Comment

Change 3 - to Iga Swiatek for Wimbledon please.

Comment

Scotland knocked out of the darts in the quarter-finals by England.
                      England v Australia, and Wales v Netherlands is the semi-final line-up. Going to be very swingy in terms of this competition, particularly the second game.

In the Golf, Rahm is nicely positioned one shot behind the leaders, whilst DJ and Morikawa are 6 shots back which might be too much for victory but gives some hope of Top 5 points.
                      Disastrous 3rd rounds for Koepka and Schauffele make them unlikely to score.

Comment

Scotland knocked out of the darts in the quarter-finals by England.
                        England v Australia, and Wales v Netherlands is the semi-final line-up. Going to be very swingy in terms of this competition, particularly the second game.

In the Golf, Rahm is nicely positioned one shot behind the leaders, whilst DJ and Morikawa are 6 shots back which might be too much for victory but gives some hope of Top 5 points.
                        Disastrous 3rd rounds for Koepka and Schauffele make them unlikely to score.
                        Scotland were woeful altogether. Sunday now looks like anti sweat Wales and Rahm while playing a 1250 gtd with a load of petrol heads up for the rally.

Comment

Result 16/40
                          World Cup of Darts

1st Australia. 4 points - no-one.
                          2nd Wales. 2 points - mdoug, pokerhand, ArmaniJeans, premierstone, Solksjaer!, Lao Lao.
                          Semi-Final England. 1 point - Strewelpeter.
                          Semi-Final Netherlands. 1 point- Keane.

Leaderboard
                          Golf Ice Hockey Tennis Golf Cycling Field Hockey Cricket Aussie Rules
                          US Open Stanley Cup Wimbledon British Open TDF World Cup (W) T20 Blast 2022 Season
                          luckforsome (3) 31.33 Jon Rahm Vegas GK Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar Netherlands Somerset Melbourne
                          mdoug (2) 31 Louis Oosthuizen Carolina Hurricanes Ashleigh Barty Tony Finau Pogacar Netherlands Surrey Melbourne
                          limpwhacker (3) 30 Dustin Johnson Florida Panthers Iga Swiatek Dustin Johnson Pogacar Netherlands Notts Outlaws Melbourne
                          Keane (2) 29.33 Koepka Colorado Ava Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar Netherlands Notts Outlaws Melbourne
                          shrapnel (1) 28.33 Jon Rahm Toronto ML Osaka Dustin Johnson Pogacar Netherlands Kent Melbourne
                          pokerhand (3) 28 Jon Rahm Tampa Bay Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar USA Notts Outlaws Melbourne
                          ArmaniJeans (1) 25.33 Jon Rahm Tampa Bay Ashleigh Barty Oosthuizen Pogacar Argentina Surrey Western Bulldogs
                          premierstone (3) 25 Xander Schauffle Carolina Hurricanes Iga Swiatek Rory Pogacar Netherlands Sussex Geelong
                          Solksjaer! (2) 21.33 Jon Rahm Minnesota Osaka Rory Roglic Netherlands Somerset Geelong
                          RichieM 17 Dustin Johnson Tampa Bay Ashleigh Barty Dustin Johnson Pogacar Argentina Notts Outlaws Melbourne
                          Strewelpeter (1) 16 Morikawa Colorado Ava Radacanu Morikawa Pogacar Netherlands Hampshire Richmond
                          Lao Lao (1) 15 Jon Rahm Tampa Bay Osaka Shane Lowry Roglic Netherlands Yorkshire Melbourne
                          US Open Golf looks like being a late finish, so it'll be Monday evening before I update. Could well be our first total blank though.

Comment

Result 17/40
                            US Open Golf

Points 5-3-2-1-1, but some ties.

1st Matt Fitzpatrick. 5 points - no-one.
                            2nd Zalatoris/Scheffler. 2.5 points - no-one.
                            4th Hideki M. 1 point - no-one.
                            5th Rory, Morikawa. Half a point - Strewelpeter.

Leaderboard
                            Ice Hockey Tennis Golf Cycling Field Hockey Cricket Aussie Rules Baseball
                            Stanley Cup Wimbledon British Open TDF World Cup (W) T20 Blast 2022 Season World Series
                            luckforsome (3) 31.33 Vegas GK Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar Netherlands Somerset Melbourne LA Dodgers
                            mdoug (2) 31 Carolina Hurricanes Ashleigh Barty Tony Finau Pogacar Netherlands Surrey Melbourne Atlanta Braves
                            limpwhacker (3) 30 Florida Panthers Iga Swiatek Dustin Johnson Pogacar Netherlands Notts Outlaws Melbourne LA Dodgers
                            Keane (2) 29.33 Colorado Ava Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar Netherlands Notts Outlaws Melbourne LA Dodgers
                            shrapnel (1) 28.33 Toronto ML Osaka Dustin Johnson Pogacar Netherlands Kent Melbourne Toronto BlueJ
                            pokerhand (3) 28 Tampa Bay Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar USA Notts Outlaws Melbourne Chicago Wsox
                            ArmaniJeans (1) 25.33 Tampa Bay Ashleigh Barty Oosthuizen Pogacar Argentina Surrey Western Bulldogs Houston Astros
                            premierstone (3) 25 Carolina Hurricanes Iga Swiatek Rory Pogacar Netherlands Sussex Geelong LA Dodgers
                            Solksjaer! (2) 21.33 Minnesota Osaka Rory Roglic Netherlands Somerset Geelong LA Dodgers
                            RichieM 17 Tampa Bay Ashleigh Barty Dustin Johnson Pogacar Argentina Notts Outlaws Melbourne Houston Astros
                            Strewelpeter (1) 16.5 Colorado Ava Radacanu Morikawa Pogacar Netherlands Hampshire Richmond St Louis
                            Lao Lao (1) 15 Tampa Bay Osaka Shane Lowry Roglic Netherlands Yorkshire Melbourne Tampa Bay
                            Game 3 of the Ice-Hockey final tonight. Colorado 2-0 up on Tampa Bay, so that could end as early as Wednesday.
                            Wednesday 21:59 is also the Wimbledon change deadline.

Comment

The obvious smart play would be to go for Swiatek, longest unbeaten run and all that... But I have to continue my standard bad decisions until the end!

​​​​​​Tennis change to jabeur please
                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

now that osaka has pulled out, not much choice. wimbledon change to swiatek please

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                  now that osaka has pulled out, not much choice. wimbledon change to swiatek please
                                  Brave/mad choice is to save the change for fav-hunting in Arc/KG, and effectively be on the field v Swiatek. I'll see if I bottle that plan later.
                                  Barty and Osaka situation is such a shame. Even up to a week or two ago I thought Barty might do a u-turn and at least turn up and defend and probably be competitive.
                                  Surely going on court as defending champion is part of the winning experience.

Comment

Sigh another withdrawal. Halep please . Thanks

Comment

Can I change to Halep tomorrow please and will hope her knee holds up.

Comment

Leaderboard with all the Wimbledon changes updated.
                                        Ice Hockey Tennis Golf Cycling Field Hockey Cricket Aussie Rules Baseball
                                        Stanley Cup Wimbledon British Open TDF World Cup (W) T20 Blast 2022 Season World Series
                                        luckforsome (3) 31.33 Vegas GK Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar Netherlands Somerset Melbourne LA Dodgers
                                        mdoug (3) 31 Carolina Hurricanes Ons Jabeur Tony Finau Pogacar Netherlands Surrey Melbourne Atlanta Braves
                                        limpwhacker (3) 30 Florida Panthers Iga Swiatek Dustin Johnson Pogacar Netherlands Notts Outlaws Melbourne LA Dodgers
                                        Keane (2) 29.33 Colorado Ava Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar Netherlands Notts Outlaws Melbourne LA Dodgers
                                        shrapnel (2) 28.33 Toronto ML Iga Swiatek Dustin Johnson Pogacar Netherlands Kent Melbourne Toronto BlueJ
                                        pokerhand (3) 28 Tampa Bay Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Pogacar USA Notts Outlaws Melbourne Chicago Wsox
                                        ArmaniJeans (1) 25.33 Tampa Bay Ashleigh Barty Oosthuizen Pogacar Argentina Surrey Western Bulldogs Houston Astros
                                        premierstone (3) 25 Carolina Hurricanes Iga Swiatek Rory Pogacar Netherlands Sussex Geelong LA Dodgers
                                        Solksjaer! (3) 21.33 Minnesota Simona Halep Rory Roglic Netherlands Somerset Geelong LA Dodgers
                                        RichieM (1) 17 Tampa Bay Simona Halep Dustin Johnson Pogacar Argentina Notts Outlaws Melbourne Houston Astros
                                        Strewelpeter (1) 16.5 Colorado Ava Radacanu Morikawa Pogacar Netherlands Hampshire Richmond St Louis
                                        Lao Lao (1) 15 Tampa Bay Osaka Shane Lowry Roglic Netherlands Yorkshire Melbourne Tampa Bay
                                        Game 4 of the Ice-Hockey tonight. Tampa got one back on Monday so now it's 2-1 to Colorado.

T20 cricket is motoring along - nearly finished the 14 game group stage.
                                        Top 4 in each group qualify - In the quarter-finals the winner of North will be home to 4th in South etc.
                                        Mixed news on our picks - in the doomed box are Notts, Kent and Sussex.
                                        Cruising into the quarters are Surrey ; and Somerset look likely to join them.
                                        Work to be done but still some hope for Yorkshire and Hampshire.

Comment

Bollox - I meant to change Osaka to Swiatek but them the 'aul lad ended up back in A&E and being admitted and it completely slipped my mind

it's clearly all his fault if I don't win this year

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                            Bollox - I meant to change Osaka to Swiatek but them the 'aul lad ended up back in A&E and being admitted and it completely slipped my mind

it's clearly all his fault if I don't win this year
                                            Don't worry, we will laugh together when she plays like Bambi on Ice and goes out in the 3rd round whilst scowling at the surface.

Comment

Result 18/40
                                              Ice Hockey - Stanley Cup

1st Colorado Avalanche. 4 points - Keane, Strewelpeter.
                                              2nd Tampa Bay Lightning. 2 points - pokerhand, ArmaniJeans, RichieM, Lao Lao.
                                              Semi-Finals. New York Rangers/Edmonton Oilers. 1 point - no-one.

Leaderboard
                                              New leader alert with Keane taking possession of top-spot. Will it be short-lived like the 5 previous leaders, or an unbroken march to victory?
                                              Tennis Golf Field Hockey Cricket Cycling Aussie Rules Baseball Soccer
                                              Wimbledon British Open World Cup (W) T20 Blast TDF 2022 Season World Series EPLLP3112
                                              Keane (2) 33.33 Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Netherlands Notts Outlaws Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Fulham
                                              luckforsome (3) 31.33 Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm Netherlands Somerset Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Bournemouth
                                              mdoug (3) 31 Ons Jabeur Tony Finau Netherlands Surrey Pogacar Melbourne Atlanta Braves Blackburn
                                              limpwhacker (3) 30 Iga Swiatek Dustin Johnson Netherlands Notts Outlaws Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Brentford
                                              pokerhand (3) 30 Iga Swiatek Jon Rahm USA Notts Outlaws Pogacar Melbourne Chicago Wsox Fulham
                                              shrapnel (2) 28.33 Iga Swiatek Dustin Johnson Netherlands Kent Pogacar Melbourne Toronto BlueJ Brentford
                                              ArmaniJeans (1) 27.33 Ashleigh Barty Oosthuizen Argentina Surrey Pogacar Western Bulldogs Houston Astros Brentford
                                              premierstone (3) 25 Iga Swiatek Rory Netherlands Sussex Pogacar Geelong LA Dodgers Brentford
                                              Solksjaer! (3) 21.33 Simona Halep Rory Netherlands Somerset Roglic Geelong LA Dodgers Fulham
                                              Strewelpeter (1) 20.5 Radacanu Morikawa Netherlands Hampshire Pogacar Richmond St Louis Brentford
                                              RichieM (1) 19 Simona Halep Dustin Johnson Argentina Notts Outlaws Pogacar Melbourne Houston Astros Watford
                                              Lao Lao (1) 17 Osaka Shane Lowry Netherlands Yorkshire Roglic Melbourne Tampa Bay Brentford
                                              Wimbledon final next, in about 12 days time (the Saturday afternoon).

Above table is the only 8 events left from the original list, and the first 4 will be over by mid-July.
                                              So I'll have to launch the events for the second half of the year quite soon, first week of July probably giving you 3 weeks to get selections in.
                                              Post #122 was a rough plan, if anyone has any nice events to add to it let me know.
                                              I'm inclined to include shrapnels Rugby League World Cup Top Try Scorer suggestion - he has suffered through picking in 3 alien GAA events so something that only he would know about seems kinda fair.

Comment

Blow it up

Comment

July Change Deadlines
                                                  Golf - The (British) Open - deadline 09/07
                                                  Soccer - EPL Last Place - deadline 31/07

Comment

Can I change the premier league to Forrest. Was either them or Fulham and nice to be different.

Comment

Don't worry, we will laugh together when she plays like Bambi on Ice and goes out in the 3rd round whilst scowling at the surface.
                                                      Oh, I say. What a shot.

Comment

Oh, I say. What a shot.
                                                        Halep i need somebody, halep not just anybody , halep i need somebody, pleeeeeassse .

Comment

Quarter Finals of the county cricket now finalised. Games are Wednesday->Saturday this week, one each day.

Surrey (mdoug, AJ) v Yorkshire (LaoLao)
                                                          Birmingham v Hampshire (Strewelpeter)
                                                          Lancashire v Essex
                                                          Somerset (luckforsome, Solks) v Derbyshire

Surrey 4/1 favs (so clearly an anyone-can-win event)

Comment

re the below, are all the medals equal gold , silver and bronze or is there a weighting between the 3?
                                                            Athletics European Championships, Country Most Medals

Comment

My plan was use the official medal table which I think is sorted by golds, with silvers and bronzes only used if there's a tie for golds. Perhaps there's a better way?

Comment

My plan was use the official medal table which I think is sorted by golds, with silvers and bronzes only used if there's a tie for golds. Perhaps there's a better way?
                                                                the medal table means having only one gold beats someone having 10 silvers. another way would be 3 points for gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze so you have more of a weighted average. i'm easy either way, i just wanted clarification before making my selection

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

the medal table means having only one gold beats someone having 10 silvers. another way would be 3 points for gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze so you have more of a weighted average. i'm easy either way, i just wanted clarification before making my selection
                                                                  Yeah, I'll have a look to see how it would work out under various methods using the last few Worlds/Euros/Olympics as a guide. Ideally I want there to be at least 3 reasonable contenders so that's there's potential for a decent spread of selections.

Comment

Tour de France is probably done already

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                      Yeah, it hasn't worked out at all as an event unfortunately.
                                                                      Hopefully Roglic gets 2nd somehow, to limit the effect.

Comment

Yeah, it hasn't worked out at all as an event unfortunately.
                                                                        Hopefully Roglic gets 2nd somehow, to limit the effect.
                                                                        I don't think you could do much with it this year as even the green jersey was inevitably going to go to van Aert as soon as the parcours was announced. KOM might be one to try next time if Pog is still looking untouchable. Giro/Vuelta could be good too depending on whether he enters.

Comment

One of the UAE cyclists withdrawn due to covid

Comment

Result 19/40
                                                                            Wimbledon

1st Elana Rybakina. 4 points - no-one.
                                                                            2nd. Ons Jabeur. 2 points - mdoug.
                                                                            Semi. Tatjana Maria. 1 point - no-one.
                                                                            Semi. Simona Halep. 1 point - Solksjaer!, RichieM.

Leaderboard
                                                                            Golf Field Hockey Cricket Cycling Aussie Rules Baseball Soccer
                                                                            British Open World Cup (W) T20 Blast TDF 2022 Season World Series EPLLP3112
                                                                            Keane (2) 33.33 Jon Rahm Netherlands Notts Outlaws Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Fulham
                                                                            mdoug (3) 33 Tony Finau Netherlands Surrey Pogacar Melbourne Atlanta Braves Blackburn
                                                                            luckforsome (3) 31.33 Jon Rahm Netherlands Somerset Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Bournemouth
                                                                            limpwhacker (3) 30 Dustin Johnson Netherlands Notts Outlaws Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Brentford
                                                                            pokerhand (3) 30 Jon Rahm USA Notts Outlaws Pogacar Melbourne Chicago Wsox Fulham
                                                                            shrapnel (2) 28.33 Dustin Johnson Netherlands Kent Pogacar Melbourne Toronto BlueJ Brentford
                                                                            ArmaniJeans (1) 27.33 Oosthuizen Argentina Surrey Pogacar Western Bulldogs Houston Astros Brentford
                                                                            premierstone (3) 25 Rory Netherlands Sussex Pogacar Geelong LA Dodgers Brentford
                                                                            Solksjaer! (3) 22.33 Rory Netherlands Somerset Roglic Geelong LA Dodgers Fulham
                                                                            Strewelpeter (1) 20.5 Morikawa Netherlands Hampshire Pogacar Richmond St Louis Brentford
                                                                            RichieM (2) 20 Dustin Johnson Argentina Notts Outlaws Pogacar Melbourne Houston Astros Notts Forest
                                                                            Lao Lao (1) 17 Shane Lowry Netherlands Yorkshire Roglic Melbourne Tampa Bay Brentford
                                                                            T20 Blast Semi-finals and Final next Saturday.
                                                                            So far it's Yorkshire (Lao Lao) v Lancashire ; and Hampshire (Strewelpeter) v the winner of the last quarter-final tonight, Derby or Somerset (luckforsome, Solks).
                                                                            Field Hockey final will be next Sunday, which is also the day of the final round of the British Open.
                                                                            17 new events launched tomorrow, so check back in. But no panic, you'll have 19 days to get selections sorted.

Comment

THIS IS NOT A DRILL, YOU HAVE TO START DOING THINGS NOW
                                                                              1 Soccer Championship as at 31/12 4 2 1 29/07/22 31/12/22 Dec

Comment

Usual stuff.
                                                                                Send me your selections by pm here or on boards, or by email (details at the top of page 1).
                                                                                Any format is fine - spreadsheet, text, pictures - I'll figure it out.

Huddersfield play Burnley (two big contenders) at 8pm on Friday 29th July, so that the cut-off point at which I really need entries in. Gets messy after that.

Can make unlimited changes until then, so there's no downside to getting your selections sorted a week early (says he optimistically)
                                                                                Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 10-07-22, 16:14.

Comment

And some linky stuff for each event, possibly more of a hindrance than a help but there you go.

Championship 31/12
                                                                                  The relegated trio (Watford, Norwich, Burnley) and the three who failed in the playoffs (Huddersfield, Luton,Sheffield United)
                                                                                  will all feel a sense of entitlement. Throw in other heavyweights like WBA, Blackburn and Middlesboro and it looks quite tricky. Full list of runners

EPL Top scorer 31/12
                                                                                  Salah walked this last year, could pop up again though the second half of the season was strangely poor.
                                                                                  Fellow vets like Kane, Ronaldo, Son and Vardy could go well again.
                                                                                  Proven goalscorers like Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling should get more game time after moves away from City.
                                                                                  And a host of young guns like Darwin Nunez, Jota and Erling Haaland.

FIFA World Cup
                                                                                  Very open renewal with about 10 plausible options. Is football coming home? Draw.

FIFA World Cup Top Goalscorer
                                                                                  2018 winner Harry Kane will be back, along with 2nd placers Ronaldo, Lukaku, Mbappe and Griezeman.
                                                                                  But expect strong competition from the likes of Messi, Benzema, Neymar, Depay etc.
                                                                                  Running up a score in the groups can be helpful.

Snooker UK Championship
                                                                                  The Big Seven of Trump, Ronnie, Selby, Higgins, Williams, Robertson & Ding have all won here.
                                                                                  Zhao Xintong was a new winner last year, maybe Kyren Wilson or Jack Lisowski could follow him.

Cricket T-20 World Cup
                                                                                  Australia beat NZ in last years final in UAE, and both could go well again with this edition being in Oz land.
                                                                                  England and Pakistan were both unlucky in the semi-finals where losing the coin-toss was critical.
                                                                                  India will surely be better than the 2021 shambles, and the West Indies and South Africa are always live contenders.
                                                                                  2022 Draw.
                                                                                  2022 ICC Men's T20 World Cup - Wikipedia

Darts Best English
                                                                                  Basically a last longest on English players at World Championship. i.e., Smith took 4 points last year despite winning nothing.
                                                                                  Current Top 10 in the rankings are (in alphabetical order)
                                                                                  Nathan Aspinall, Stephn Bunting, Dave Chisnall, Rob Cross, Joe Cullen, Luke Humphries, Mervyn King, Ryan Searle, Michael Smith, James Wade.
                                                                                  But feel free to choose outside this list.

Handball Womens European Championship.
                                                                                  Draw and format here
                                                                                  Norway defend their 2020 title, though France won the previous edition and took the honours in Tokyo last summer.
                                                                                  Sweden, Netherlands and Denmark all capable as well.

Prix de l'Arc
                                                                                  3 year olds/Derby winners are always to the fore of the betting, so Desert Crown, Westover and Vadani all have claims.
                                                                                  The older horses do have a better recent record though.
                                                                                  The KGQEII on 23rd July might give some clues.

King George Chase
                                                                                  Tough to get a runner this far out, let alone a winner.
                                                                                  Tornado Flyer will surely be back to defend, and Clan Des Obeaux might go one better. And Alaho might turn up this year.
                                                                                  New names like Bravesmangame and Ahoy Senor were mentioned to me by an NH buddy, but mean little to me.

Golf Presidents Cup - Highest Rest of World Points scorer.
                                                                                  The bi-annual USA v World (not inc Europe) event, with a similar format to the Ryder Cup.
                                                                                  Im SungJae and Abraham Ancer shared first place in 2019 and both could go well again.
                                                                                  Current Top 8 in the qualification rankings are (in alphabetical order)
                                                                                  Abraham Ancer, Corey Connors, Hideki Matsuyama, Joaquin Niemann, Mito Pereira, Adam Scott, Cameron Smith, Im SungJae
                                                                                  But feel free to choose outside these names, especially as Captain Immelman has 4 wildcards, so old hands like Oosthuizen and Leishman could get a call-up.

Volleyball World Championship (MEN).
                                                                                  Draw and format here, complicated enough.
                                                                                  Poland beat Brazil in the 2018 final and could go well again as co-hosts.
                                                                                  USA, Serbia and Italy will all be strong, and France come here as Olympic Champions.

7s Rugby World Cup (MEN)
                                                                                  NZ defend their 2018 win, though Fiji took the bragging rights in the Olympics.
                                                                                  SA host which should help them in an event they've been a bit disappointing in.
                                                                                  Outside the Big 3 England always go well, and USA threaten.
                                                                                  Ireland should take the final qualifying spot next weekend and could be a fun outsider.
                                                                                  The full draw should be up sometime next weekend so will be able to map medal paths etc.
                                                                                  2022 Rugby World Cup Sevens - Wikipedia

Tennis Davis Cup
                                                                                  Another new format for this. 4 x 4 teams groups in September, followed by quarters/semis/final in November.
                                                                                  Russia beat Croatia in the final last year but won't be allowed defend.
                                                                                  A lot of potential winners with so many countries having a player or two in the Top 20 of the rankings, but much depends on which players are committed to playing.

Tennis US Open
                                                                                  The old guard of Djokovic and Nadal might just be beginning to show their age. Defending Champion Daniel Medvedev heads a bunch of youngsters including Stefo Tsitsipas, Alex Zverev and Carlos Alcarez.

England Autumn Internationals Highest Try Scorer.
                                                                                  England play Argentina, Japan, NZ and South Africa in four November games.
                                                                                  Clearly it's potentially complicated by the possibility of different players playing in the easier game.
                                                                                  Heres a link to all their 2022 latest results, you can click into each game and see who scored if you want.
                                                                                  I haven't a scoobie meself, will be leaving this one until last.

European Athletic Championships - Country Most Gold Medals.
                                                                                  Using the standard medal table - most golds win, with silvers/bronze only looked at to split ties.
                                                                                  All events count - men, women, track, field, relays, marathons.
                                                                                  Poland won from Germany and GBR in 2016, whilst GBR won from Poland and Germany in 2018.
                                                                                  Which might point to a 3 horse race, but Italy took the European honours in Tokyo last year.
                                                                                  I guess a lot will depend on who turns up, and worth keeping an eye on next weeks Worlds to see what the winners say.
                                                                                  Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 10-07-22, 11:39.

Comment

cool. Thanks AJ

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                      It's fucking back!

Comment

Hah, was just about to post to ask whether this was affecting the overall tour. (I struggle to follow what's going on a lot of the time, looking at the background scenery mostly)

Comment

Hah, was just about to post to ask whether this was affecting the overall tour. (I struggle to follow what's going on a lot of the time, looking at the background scenery mostly)
                                                                                          Yeah so Vingegaard who's riding away at the moment is the main competitor for the yellow jersey from Pogacar. He was about 40 seconds back starting today but he has totally cracked Pog for over two mins by the look of it so he's going to go into yellow with a lot of time to spare. And there's another horrorshow mountain stage tomorrow to come.

Pog's team has lost a couple of riders with covid while Vingegaard has the strongest team by far so they'll look to bury him tomorrow. I dunno if you saw earlier how they isolated Pog and then Vin and Roglic took turns attacking to tire Pog out as he had to keep trying to close down the attacks. Looks like they managed to majorly burn him out.

From the POV of the competition it doesn't change too much as Roglic went backwards on the last climb after burning himself out attacking Pog for his teammate, but for the race it was class.

Comment

Late July Change Deadline
                                                                                            Soccer - EPL Last Place - deadline 31/07

*******
                                                                                            Also 14 days to get entries in for the events in post #158 which take place in 2nd half of year.

Comment

Result 20/43
                                                                                              Cricket T20 Blast

1st Hampshire. 4 points - Strewelpeter
                                                                                              2nd Lancashire. 2 points - no-one
                                                                                              Semi. Somerset. 1 point - luckforsome, Solksjaer!
                                                                                              Semi. Yorkshire. 1 point - Lao Lao

Leaderboard
                                                                                              Golf Field Hockey Cycling Aussie Rules Baseball Soccer
                                                                                              British Open World Cup (W) TDF 2022 Season World Series EPLLP3112
                                                                                              Keane (2) 33.33 Jon Rahm Netherlands Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Fulham
                                                                                              mdoug (3) 33 Tony Finau Netherlands Pogacar Melbourne Atlanta Braves Blackburn
                                                                                              luckforsome (3) 32.33 Jon Rahm Netherlands Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Bournemouth
                                                                                              limpwhacker (3) 30 Dustin Johnson Netherlands Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Brentford
                                                                                              pokerhand (3) 30 Jon Rahm USA Pogacar Melbourne Chicago Wsox Fulham
                                                                                              shrapnel (2) 28.33 Dustin Johnson Netherlands Pogacar Melbourne Toronto BlueJ Brentford
                                                                                              ArmaniJeans (1) 27.33 Oosthuizen Argentina Pogacar Western Bulldogs Houston Astros Brentford
                                                                                              premierstone (3) 25 Rory Netherlands Pogacar Geelong LA Dodgers Brentford
                                                                                              Strewelpeter (1) 24.5 Morikawa Netherlands Pogacar Richmond St Louis Brentford
                                                                                              Solksjaer! (3) 23.33 Rory Netherlands Roglic Geelong LA Dodgers Fulham
                                                                                              RichieM (2) 20 Dustin Johnson Argentina Pogacar Melbourne Houston Astros Notts Forest
                                                                                              Lao Lao (1) 18 Shane Lowry Netherlands Roglic Melbourne Tampa Bay Brentford
                                                                                              .
                                                                                              British Open Golf tomorrow afternoon, 5,3,2,1,1 points available.
                                                                                              Clearly Rory has a great chance for premierstone and Solks, joint leader at the moment.
                                                                                              DJ in 7th has a chance of a place at least, but might be the type to die trying in a win or bust attempt.
                                                                                              Lowry the only other realistic chance of points in 13th. Rahm back in 24th (-5) looks to have too much to do.

Hockey final will be late tomorrow night - jammy Dutch have 1-0'ed their way to the final, Argentina 2-2 with Germany in 2nd semi-final in 2nd half.
                                                                                              edit : Argies through after penalty shoot-out.
                                                                                              Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 16-07-22, 22:06.

Comment

Result 21/43
                                                                                                Golf The Open

1st Cameron Smith. 5 points - no-one.
                                                                                                2nd Cameron Young. 3 points - no-one.
                                                                                                3rd Rory McIlroy. 2 points - premierstone, Solksjaer!
                                                                                                4th/5th Fleetwood/Hovland. 1 point - no-one

Leaderboard
                                                                                                Field Hockey Cycling Aussie Rules Baseball Soccer
                                                                                                World Cup (W) TDF 2022 Season World Series EPLLP3112
                                                                                                Keane (2) 33.33 Netherlands Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Fulham
                                                                                                mdoug (3) 33 Netherlands Pogacar Melbourne Atlanta Braves Blackburn
                                                                                                luckforsome (3) 32.33 Netherlands Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Bournemouth
                                                                                                limpwhacker (3) 30 Netherlands Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Brentford
                                                                                                pokerhand (3) 30 USA Pogacar Melbourne Chicago Wsox Fulham
                                                                                                shrapnel (2) 28.33 Netherlands Pogacar Melbourne Toronto BlueJ Brentford
                                                                                                ArmaniJeans (1) 27.33 Argentina Pogacar Western Bulldogs Houston Astros Brentford
                                                                                                premierstone (3) 27 Netherlands Pogacar Geelong LA Dodgers Brentford
                                                                                                Solksjaer! (3) 25.33 Netherlands Roglic Geelong LA Dodgers Fulham
                                                                                                Strewelpeter (1) 24.5 Netherlands Pogacar Richmond St Louis Brentford
                                                                                                RichieM (2) 20 Argentina Pogacar Melbourne Houston Astros Notts Forest
                                                                                                Lao Lao (1) 18 Netherlands Roglic Melbourne Tampa Bay Brentford
                                                                                                .
                                                                                                Netherlands v Argentina in the hockey final later tonight. I'll update after work tomorrow evening.

Comment

Result 22/43
                                                                                                  Hockey Women's World Championship

1st Netherlands. 4 points - everyone except pokerhand, AJ, RichieM
                                                                                                  2nd Argentina. 2 points - ArmaniJeans, RichieM
                                                                                                  3rd Australia. 1 point - no-one

Leaderboard
                                                                                                  Cycling Aussie Rules Baseball Soccer
                                                                                                  TDF 2022 Season World Series EPLLP3112
                                                                                                  Keane (2) €360.00 37.33 Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Fulham
                                                                                                  mdoug (3) €120.00 37 Pogacar Melbourne Atlanta Braves Blackburn
                                                                                                  luckforsome (3) 36.33 Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Bournemouth
                                                                                                  limpwhacker (3) 34 Pogacar Melbourne LA Dodgers Brentford
                                                                                                  shrapnel (2) 32.33 Pogacar Melbourne Toronto BlueJ Brentford
                                                                                                  premierstone (3) 31 Pogacar Geelong LA Dodgers Brentford
                                                                                                  pokerhand (3) 30 Pogacar Melbourne Chicago Wsox Fulham
                                                                                                  ArmaniJeans (1) 29.33 Pogacar Western Bulldogs Houston Astros Brentford
                                                                                                  Solksjaer! (3) 29.33 Roglic Geelong LA Dodgers Fulham
                                                                                                  Strewelpeter (1) 28.5 Pogacar Richmond St Louis Brentford
                                                                                                  RichieM (2) 22 Pogacar Melbourne Houston Astros Notts Forest
                                                                                                  Lao Lao (1) 22 Roglic Melbourne Tampa Bay Brentford
                                                                                                  .
                                                                                                  TDF finishes Sunday. Roglic withdrew, but Pogacar still looking good for a Top3 placing.
                                                                                                  And 11 days left to finalize your picks for the events in the 2nd half of the year.

Comment

Result 23/43
                                                                                                    Cycling - TDF

1st Jonas Vingegaaaard. 4 points - no-one.
                                                                                                    2nd Tadej Pogacar. 2 points - everyone except Solks & Lao Lao.
                                                                                                    3rd Geraint Thomas. 1 point - no-one.

Leaderboard
                                                                                                    Aussie Rules Baseball Soccer
                                                                                                    2022 Season World Series EPLLP3112
                                                                                                    Keane (2) €360.00 39.33 Melbourne LA Dodgers Fulham
                                                                                                    mdoug (3) €120.00 39 Melbourne Atlanta Braves Blackburn
                                                                                                    luckforsome (3) 38.33 Melbourne LA Dodgers Bournemouth
                                                                                                    limpwhacker (3) 36 Melbourne LA Dodgers Brentford
                                                                                                    shrapnel (2) 34.33 Melbourne Toronto BlueJ Brentford
                                                                                                    premierstone (3) 33 Geelong LA Dodgers Brentford
                                                                                                    pokerhand (3) 32 Melbourne Chicago Wsox Fulham
                                                                                                    ArmaniJeans (1) 31.33 Western Bulldogs Houston Astros Brentford
                                                                                                    Strewelpeter (1) 30.5 Richmond St Louis Brentford
                                                                                                    Solksjaer! (3) 29.33 Geelong LA Dodgers Fulham
                                                                                                    RichieM (2) 24 Melbourne Houston Astros Notts Forest
                                                                                                    Lao Lao (1) 22 Melbourne Tampa Bay Brentford
                                                                                                    .
                                                                                                    Friday 8pm is the start of the soccer Championship with the eagerly anticipated Burnley Huddersfield game.
                                                                                                    So would appreciate all selections in for the 17 new events by then (post #158)
                                                                                                    It potentially gets messy if news of a Ronnie retirement or Salah injury etc happens after the cut-off, so pretty please 8pm Friday.

Received from shrapnel & premierstone. Cheers. As you prob know, feel free to make any changes you want until Friday.
                                                                                                    edit :
                                                                                                    received from pokerhand and luckforsome.
                                                                                                    Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 25-07-22, 21:03.

Comment

Received selections from shrapnel, premierstone. pokerhand, luckforsome and limpwhacker. I'm nearly done as well.
                                                                                                      76 hours left, give or take.

Comment

My final action shall be to change Blackburn to Bournemouth please, was so tempted by Leeds though!

Have sent all my answers for the second half. Always enjoyed this comp, thanks for all the effort put in!
                                                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Also, Frankfurt for Europa was an absolute belter beauty of a pick!
                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Received selections from shrapnel, premierstone. pokerhand, luckforsome, limpwhacker, myself & mdoug. And Strewelpeter about 90% complete.

46 hours for Keane, Solksjaer!, RichieM and Lao Lao.

Comment

Sent mine there AJ tyty

Comment

carrier pigeon incoming with my selections later tonight.

Comment

Sent in mine thanks . Have brain fog so took me ages

Comment

Entries flying in.
                                                                                                                    Just RichieM left. And 3/17 selections left for Strewelpeter to complete. He's on holidays (Magalouf no doubt) and doing them when he gets a chance.
                                                                                                                    These are mine by the way for transparency just in case I don't get the global spreadsheet updated by 8pm tomorrow.
                                                                                                                    (Although there's a pretty good chance I'll change the Davis Cup tennis and the horses for the 10th time before tomorrows deadline).
                                                                                                                    Norwich
                                                                                                                    Salah
                                                                                                                    Netherlands
                                                                                                                    Harry Kane
                                                                                                                    Robertson
                                                                                                                    India
                                                                                                                    Luke Humphries
                                                                                                                    Norway
                                                                                                                    Alpinista
                                                                                                                    Bravemansgame
                                                                                                                    Cam Smith
                                                                                                                    Brazil
                                                                                                                    South Africa
                                                                                                                    GB
                                                                                                                    Alcaraz
                                                                                                                    Freddie Steward
                                                                                                                    GB

Comment

And in an event (FIFA WC Top Scorer) where the possibilities include Messi, Neymar, Mbappe & Ronaldo, tomorrow we'll reveal who picked Ismaila Sarr

Comment

Can I change the England try scorer to that full back Stewart guy please

Comment

And in an event (FIFA WC Top Scorer) where the possibilities include Messi, Neymar, Mbappe & Ronaldo, tomorrow we'll reveal who picked Ismaila Sarr
                                                                                                                          I'm calling it as mdoug

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X