Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rounders123
    replied
    Only seen this thread now what a great read, thanks for doing it.

Leave a comment:

• Semibluff
    replied
    really enjoyed reading this Olly. Thanks very much!

Would love to chat over a coffee some time. Admire the direction and focus you have shown, fair play!

Leave a comment:

• kincsem
    replied
    Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
    You seemed to be obsessed by this topic Sean. I don't believe in brown nosing myself as it lacks a certain independence of thought and attitude.
    One of the top government ministers in the last administration was in my Leaving Cert class.
    His claim to fame was he was from a political family. He was ok, but mid-division. We need better leaders.

Leave a comment:

• kincsem
    replied
    You seemed to be obsessed by this topic Sean. I don't believe in brown nosing myself as it lacks a certain independence of thought and attitude.
    The top guy in Bank Of Ireland was in the B class in Oatlands CBS (classes A,B,C,D) in my brother's year (one year behind me.) imo these people are just yes people to the top guys, until they get their chance. Sadly much of the top layer is non-performing, and decision making is non-existent. Group think / consensus opinion rules.

I agree with your idea of putting a few Euro into pension and AVCs. I tried to convince a work colleague to put a small amount into savings (he was paying too much tax). No chance. I was putting 20% into pension and also saving by AVCs, and took early retirement at 56. The company went bust two year later.

My big regret was failing to convince a guy I worked with in 2006 to stop his son taking out a €500k 100% mortgage. I asked the father could the son pay 10% interest if he had to. I said it was a property bubble. He told me EC was sound, and economic instability was the "old days".
    Last edited by kincsem; 03-10-11, 18:29.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by HiCloy View Post
    Thank you sir.

Would you rather own Nokia or Apple shares for a 5 year investment?
    Apple. I reckon Nokia has way too many legacy problems and will go the way of RIM.

What do you say when you're told that the average managed funds have underperformed index trackers over all time horizons?
    FYP It's a fair comment otherwise.

Recommendation of country to visit and best and favourite Dublin restaurant
    ooh a nice question to finish with.....

I loved California except for LA and SF. San Diego, Santa Barbara, Monteray and Yosemite are great spots and I will be going there again. For a weekend trip Lisbon is a lovely, cheap and easy spot to visit. Great pastry cooking too.

Best Overall Restaurant in Dublin for me is probably Chapter One.

For something a little bit down the food chain I'm enjoying Il Segreto at the moment (some people wouldn't go there because of the owners but I believe in giving a third chance if the food is that good!).

I'm also a big fan of the Thyme Garden in Athlone if you are ever down that way. A small country place with a chef/owner who takes great pride in his work and is very reasonably priced. It's a nice way to break up a journey on a weekend break to Galway!

Oh and if you are ever in Edinburgh I can't recommend the Number One restaurant enough. The best Michelin starred restaurant I've eaten in to date.

Okay guys I'm really done now. Thanks for all the nice comments on the thread. I can actually say I enjoyed doing it!!

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by kincsem View Post
    Do you think brown-nosing and weaselling are good attributes for success? Imo you need these "social" skills to move up. I've worked with people of whom it was said you could only see the soles of their shoes they were so far up their boss. You say the intelligence of those at the top isn't great, but they got there somehow.
    You seemed to be obsessed by this topic Sean. I don't believe in brown nosing myself as it lacks a certain independence of thought and attitude. Lots of people do climb to a certain level that way though. I don't think it's necessary but it may be in certain organisations that's for sure. I'd personally hate to work that way and just leave those places.

I would never treat someone discourteously in business though. It costs nothing to act with a bit of class and people remember it.

Lots of attributes combine to make someone successful including luck and randomness. My ego isn't so big that I don't acknowledge that every day of my life.

I have a few B shares in Berkshire Hathaway. What happens when 81 year old Warren Buffett expires?
    I'd imagine it's priced into the stock!! I was disappointed to see them announce that they are buying back their own stock but you could take it as a lead indicator that the financial markets won't go into meltdown I guess.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by CheckRaise View Post
    Which industry in China will experience the most growth over the next 10 years and do you have any Chinese companies in mind as potential investments?
    Robotics.

Actually I prefer a Japanese robotics company called Fanuc which is selling into China.

Also I reckon China is about to stall.

If you were to pick one company to hold stock for 10 years which would it be?
    Fresenius Medical Care or some stock like that which is well run and should continue to grow irrespective of the short term macro story.

Will Ireland exit the euro in the next 5 years? Will Ireland default?

Now that's a toughie.

We'll probably stay in the euro and if we do default it will be an agreed write down of some debt rather than across the board. We have been annointed for success I feel.

Best way to protect net worth while the markets decide who to fuck over next?
    lol. Spread it around and invest in quality. If you lose 20% and ride out the storm it might be a result. I just don't buy the commodity story and currency risk scares me.

Leave a comment:

• HiCloy
    replied
    I have a few B shares in Berkshire Hathaway. What happens when 81 year old Warren Buffett expires?

Nice thread OP.

Would you rather own Nokia or Apple shares for a 5 year investment?

What do you say when you're told that managed funds have underperformed index trackers over all time horizons?

Recommendation of country to visit and best and favourite Dublin restaurant

Leave a comment:

• kincsem
    replied
    Do you think brown-nosing and weaselling are good attributes for success? Imo you need these "social" skills to move up. I've worked with people of whom it was said you could only see the soles of their shoes they were so far up their boss. You say the intelligence of those at the top isn't great, but they got there somehow.

Leave a comment:

• CheckRaise
    replied
    Which industry in China will experience the most growth over the next 10 years and do you have any Chinese companies in mind as potential investments?

If you were to pick one company to hold stock for 10 years which would it be?

Will Ireland exit the euro in the next 5 years? Will Ireland default?

Best way to protect net worth while the markets decide who to fuck over next?
    Last edited by CheckRaise; 30-09-11, 20:19.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
    I have 125euro to spare right now, what should I do with it?
    Bet on black.

It's been fun folks. Goodnight.

Leave a comment:

• davepoke/her
    replied
    I have 125euro to spare right now, what should I do with it?

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by GingerMilla View Post
    Very good read, Olly. Time is a treasure and you've certainly made good use of your own.
    I read a post of yours in the bbv some time ago where you wrote about your back ground and couldn't understand how people like ionapaul were taking time out after taking redundancy. You future could well lie as a motivational speaker.
    Thanks.

Somebody said that to me before, but until I achieve a number of things I'd feel like a fraud. I hate those speakers who tell you about what they are doing or going to do. If you were that great you'd be bloody well doing it and not just talking about it. If someone wants my perspective on something they can just ask me and I'm happy to tell them. Then they can ignore me all they like.

I'm aware of the irony of saying that in this thread but I'm only doing this because I've enjoyed other peoples threads so much over the years and I feel like a leech if I don't repay in kind in some small way. Plus I'm definitely not saying I'm the finished article yet.

Who was the most influential person in your life from an early age and what was the most important advice you received in your formative years ?
    My parents by a long long way.

Two great bits of advice I got were as follows;

On going into a new school.

"Nobody knows you there so you can be whatever you want to be"

and

"It doesn't matter what anybody else does"

Not exactly earth shattering but if I had kids of my own and they learned those two things I'd be pleased.

Were you always ambitious and confident enough to back yourself or did you need people to push you in order to fulfill your potential ?
    When I was very young I never gave a fuck about anybody else except my family. I literally didn't care if someone else lived or died. I don't know if this gave me confidence but it made me indifferent to the opinions of others. My parents had massive ambitions for me and thankfully I had the intelligence to deliver so it was never a burden. That probably helped.

My ambitions came from within and from my family. I hated to see people who weren't as smart as me do better then me. Also I was poor so I had nothing else.

Can you describe in one sentence why you have so much belief and confidence in yourself?
    When you see the quality of most of the sucessful people in this town you realise that you should be running the fucking show.

Do you believe in any higher power,supreme being etc?
    I do.

Why do you place such a big emphasis on the development of your ability to speak in public? Do you see yourself delivering an important speech to a large gathering at some stage in the future? Motivational guru maybe?
    I used to believe in academia and the ability to learn, understand and come up with creative ideas but I realise now that will only get you so far in life. To be really obscenely successful in this life you must be able to convince and persuade others and to lead.

I have delivered some important speeches and I intend to deliver some more.

If you want to be running a multimillion dollar business or own one then you will have to deliver some great speeches to large and small crowds. Ignoring that reality isn't going to make it anymore likely to happen.

Why the love of Leinster rugby or rugby in general? Did you play the game yourself?
    Is the current Irish team the best ever?
    My Dad.

I didn't get to play due to my Dad falling out with the local club during my formative years. I wouldn't have been great as I was a poor athlete even though I played lots of sports. I enjoy lots of sports regardless of that and I always gave an honest effort and took pride in little small personal sporting victories.

The current Irish team is the best ever due to professionalism allied with talent but I had a soft spot for a number of teams over the years and it wasn't all about ability but giving of their best with the restrictions that they faced.

Finally having played against you a few times over the years in the SE and Fitz, how are you such a bad player, especially bearing in mind that you are successfull and work hard to be in every other aspect of your life?
    I think in my mind I know exactly what I need to do to be sucessful at poker but actually that would ruin the reasons why I play it. I play very little now and purely for fun as I was sick of not playing "properly" and leaking money to people I had very little time for. When I play focused for a while I generally do okay but then I get distracted/bored and just blow it. These days I prefer to play for €100 and have some banter with the guys taking it very seriously as it gives me a great laugh to see the furrow of concentration on their brows.

It's a bit like why I never got any good at chess. I just wasn't motivated by the challenge of beating someone at chess or poker. It's just not the sort of success I crave....if that makes sense.
    Last edited by V for Vendetta; 30-09-11, 17:32.

Leave a comment:

• Arazi
    replied
    Originally posted by Zosma View Post
    I have some cash in euros floating around, I was all set to buy some shares via keytrade but that was a week before the Aug 2nd US default so I didn't buy any. I dont have the time/knowledge to keep a eye on the markets these days. Then I was going to leave it in a keytrade savings account but the whole greek bonds thing put me off.
    I know cash doing nothing is -ev but I'm not looking to get rich from it (there isn't enough anyway), I only "need" it for a masters in two years.
    Anyway should I buy sterling/dollars or are euros grand?
    Ty
    If you are keeping a lot of Euro I would be inclined to get them out of Irish Banks and try to get them into a European bank, preferably German. If Ireland drop out of the Euro our money will devalue by approx 20% overnight.
    I would ideally like to have a lot of my savings split between German Euro and Norwegian Krone.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Zosma View Post
    I have some cash in euros floating around, I was all set to buy some shares via keytrade but that was a week before the Aug 2nd US default so I didn't buy any. I dont have the time/knowledge to keep a eye on the markets these days. Then I was going to leave it in a keytrade savings account but the whole greek bonds thing put me off.
    I know cash doing nothing is -ev but I'm not looking to get rich from it (there isn't enough anyway), I only "need" it for a masters in two years.
    Ty
    So you need the money in two years time. Markets are very volatile and even if they weren't I wouldn't be recommending shares over that timeframe.
    Why take on currency risk?? Are you going to continue living in Ireland? Will your liabilities/expenses continue to be here?

If it's a chunky amount of cash then look for a core euro bank. Germany or the Netherlands. If not then a few bob in an Irish bank to survive on will probably be okay and if Ireland gets fucked out of the euro and devalues at least you'll have your education and you can just leave the country and work abroad or something. A few k of a euro loss isn't going to be the biggest problem in your life.

Over the timeframe you've indicated I'd sit on my hands imo. Doing nothing is a decision too.

Also for 10 or 20k I wouldn't buy shares directly myself unless I was getting a discount. I'd just put it in a cheap pooled vehicle that invested in the sort of shares I like.

Leave a comment:

• GingerMilla
    replied
    Very good read, Olly. Time is a treasure and you've certainly made good use of your own.
    I read a post of yours in the bbv some time ago where you wrote about your back ground and couldn't understand how people like ionapaul were taking time out after taking redundancy. You future could well lie as a motivational speaker.

Who was the most influential person in your life from an early age and what was the most important advice you received in your formative years ?

Were you always ambitious and confident enough to back yourself or did you need people to push you in order to fulfill your potential ?

Can you describe in one sentence why you have so much belief and confidence in yourself?

Do you believe in any higher power,supreme being etc?

Why do you place such a big emphasis on the development of your ability to speak in public? Do you see yourself delivering an important speech to a large gathering at some stage in the future? Motivational guru maybe?

Why the love of Leinster rugby or rugby in general? Did you play the game yourself?
    Is the current Irish team the best ever?

Finally having played against you a few times over the years in the SE and Fitz, how are you such a bad player, especially bearing in mind that you are successfull and work hard to be in every other aspect of your life?

Leave a comment:

• Zosma
    replied
    Ty

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post
    thanks for doing this, am definatly an investment fish, just leaving lumps in my bank savings a/c.

wheres the best place for poker winnings? no garentee of long term sustainability to these earnings, so looking to put them somewhere for future use. Probably be looking at getting a place of my own in next couple of years so want a good looking financial history with the bank as well
    Hey Midnitekowby,

It's impossible to answer that question in a vacuum.

There are so many other questions which are relevant.

Do you have a day job to get a mortgage with? They aren't going to give you a mortgage based on +EV poker situations.

Are you a truly exceptional poker player or just a guy riding the crest of a wave at the minute?

If you are so good then why not keep access to the monies as that will provide the best return?

If you are like RDIII and enjoying a good year with the inevitable downslide awaiting then just cash out now.

All you need for a decent deposit is probably 30 or 40k so personally I wouldn't sweat too much about Irish banks for 40k in savings. If you are looking to buy outright for cash then I'd be looking at banks abroad to protect the loot.

Sitdown and do a proper honest financial analysis of yourself and then take action is the best advice I can give you.

Leave a comment:

• Midnitekowby
    replied
    thanks for doing this, am definatly an investment fish, just leaving lumps in my bank savings a/c.

wheres the best place for poker winnings? no garentee of long term sustainability to these earnings, so looking to put them somewhere for future use. Probably be looking at getting a place of my own in next couple of years so want a good looking financial history with the bank as well

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
    Edit, forgot to ask a question, so here goes:

1/1 live game...
    I have 75€ which is the effective stack.
    Limped pre, hero has 53o in the BB, Villain is SB (competent but not great)

Flop is 523 rainbow, checked to hero who makes it 3 into 4,
    folded to villain who makes it 20, Hero tanks and ......?
    You should have topped up.

Pump to the maximum now.

Poker is a life leak of mine.......

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
    I'm usually a dick about threads like this, things have changed recently though and I have to say this is probably the second best thread I've read on here.

You sound like a nice, interesting guy who's hopefully going places.

Keep up the good work.
    If the best thread belongs to the butcher Hayes then please don't say it as his head couldn't take anymore expansion!!

Thanks for your nice comments.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Arazi View Post
    Mmmmm maybe you're not as clever as I thought.

I remember years and years ago reading an interveiw with the gambler Harry Findley called "Harry Findley on ......." where he gave his opinion on a whole load of stuff.
    In Harry Findley on Pensions he said.... Pensions are the worst value bet of all time. Its like taking 6/4 about a 3/1 shot and you're only Even Money to be alive to collect!!!
    I'm definitely not as clever as you thought. Never underestimate the stupidity of other people and you won't go wrong.

I have four investment/savings time horizons in my mind.

1 Immediate
    2. Medium Term
    3. Longer term but actively managed by me
    4. Very long term reviewed by me regularly but not actively managed by me.

I then choose various types of vehicles to best maximise those savings objectives. That's all my pension is, one of those vehicles.

The unusual thing is I chose to maximise my long term untouchable savings very early in life and I'm now working on medium term stuff and reducing the pensions savings except for my employer contributions (10% of salary rising to 15% in 3 years). Before I was putting in 20% myself and my employer was putting in 10%. This was a product of forseeable legislative changes and frothy irish economic madness at the time. I made my decisions using the best knowledge I had at the time and I really don't regret them.

Leave a comment:

• sickhabbit
    replied
    I'm usually a dick about threads like this, things have changed recently though and I have to say this is probably the second best thread I've read on here.

You sound like a nice, interesting guy who's hopefully going places.

Keep up the good work.

Edit, forgot to ask a question, so here goes:

1/1 live game...
    I have 75€ which is the effective stack.
    Limped pre, hero has 53o in the BB, Villain is SB (competent but not great)

Flop is 523 rainbow, checked to hero who makes it 3 into 4,
    folded to villain who makes it 20, Hero tanks and ......?

Leave a comment:

• Arazi
    replied
    Most of my money is invested in a pension as I had a feeling AVCs wouldn't be around forever so I pumped any spare cash into the AVCs for the last 5 years as an alternative to buying property.

The investments are quite widely spread but have a defensive slant which is inappropriate over the long run but I have had it running like that over the last 2-3 years as I wasn't confident in the very wide market rally.

A lot of our remaining cash has been invested in mine and my wife's education and a few toys as we are our own best investments.

The remaining cash is spread between two irish banks but it's small money just to keep us going for six months if anything happened. I am very well insured for both death in service and disability as that is our biggest risk at this stage in our lives.

I also own some specific shares picked up over the years and have loaned some money to family.
    Mmmmm maybe you're not as clever as I thought.

I remember years and years ago reading an interveiw with the gambler Harry Findley called "Harry Findley on ......." where he gave his opinion on a whole load of stuff.
    In Harry Findley on Pensions he said.... Pensions are the worst value bet of all time. Its like taking 6/4 about a 3/1 shot and you're only Even Money to be alive to collect!!!

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
    Where do you keep your money
    Most of my money is invested in a pension as I had a feeling AVCs wouldn't be around forever so I pumped any spare cash into the AVCs for the last 5 years as an alternative to buying property.

The investments are quite widely spread but have a defensive slant which is inappropriate over the long run but I have had it running like that over the last 2-3 years as I wasn't confident in the very wide market rally.

A lot of our remaining cash has been invested in mine and my wife's education and a few toys as we are our own best investments.

The remaining cash is spread between two irish banks but it's small money just to keep us going for six months if anything happened. I am very well insured for both death in service and disability as that is our biggest risk at this stage in our lives.

I also own some specific shares picked up over the years and have loaned some money to family.

Leave a comment:

• Arazi
    replied
    Study, investment qualifications, financial advisor qulaification and most importantly doing the homework on what the options out there are. I guess if someone went away and did all that stuff themselves then they wouldn't need me BUT generally they don't. If someone had all the work done themselves then our products would sell themselves imo. I 100% believe we have the best offering around for long-term investors.

People lose money from time to time. The vital question is whether or not it is money they can afford to lose and do they have to crystallise the loss at a certain point?

Only greedy people lose money they can't afford to lose imo and that's not my fault. Sometimes people say they can take risks but they are lying to themselves and their advisors. That is their fault not the advisors fault.

Also a lot of nonsense is talked about the recession where everything is marked to market on a daily basis. If you own an object that has a market value and the next day the market value is less you still own the object. If you are happy to own the object then the price shouldn't matter so much on a day to day basis.

I can honestly say nobody I advised lost a lot of money (relative to them) that they couldn't afford to lose and I fortunately have nothing to feel guilty about to date.
    Thanks, cool answers.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    In your own mind what makes you qualified to advise clients on how best to invest their money?
    Study, investment qualifications, financial advisor qulaification and most importantly doing the homework on what the options out there are. I guess if someone went away and did all that stuff themselves then they wouldn't need me BUT generally they don't. If someone had all the work done themselves then our products would sell themselves imo. I 100% believe we have the best offering around for long-term investors.

Also in light of the recent worldwide recession do you feel any guilt that your advice may have lost people a lot of money?

People lose money from time to time. The vital question is whether or not it is money they can afford to lose and do they have to crystallise the loss at a certain point?

Only greedy people lose money they can't afford to lose imo and that's not my fault. Sometimes people say they can take risks but they are lying to themselves and their advisors. That is their fault not the advisors fault.

Also a lot of nonsense is talked about the recession where everything is marked to market on a daily basis. If you own an object that has a market value and the next day the market value is less you still own the object. If you are happy to own the object then the price shouldn't matter so much on a day to day basis.

I can honestly say nobody I advised lost a lot of money (relative to them) that they couldn't afford to lose and I fortunately have nothing to feel guilty about to date.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    Are you concerned about the fundamentals of capitalism or do you think it can continue to outrun the flaws at its core?

My honest view Tony is that every society breaks down eventually. This one will be no different. Ideally it won't happen while I'm around.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
    When are you making your blogging return?
    Are you about for the IWF or do we have to wait for the IO?
    What should I do with my millions which currently reside in Belgium? Leave it there? Whatever I do with it, it needs to be low risk and easily accessible cause things could go tits up down here in the shitter of the country at any time
    It's tough to get the time Kev. It'll probably be the IPO, as the easter weekend always makes it easier for me to give a day or two. I do enjoy it!

As for Belgium I'm not a banker. I don't see the euro disintegrating but I do see governments defaulting etc. If it was keeping you awake at night then I'd put some in a German bank getting a very low return and some in a Dutch bank and some in a Scandie bank. Id it's the case monies then spread it around and get a very low return but at least you would have comfort. Taking a position on one bank in a small country probably has a small percentage chance of a problem arising but it's a low probability event.

Investment monies and rainy day monies are two completely seperate things in my book.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin View Post
    I am really enjoying this thread. I admire your honesty in relation to same.
    1 thing you are very proud of and 1 thing which you are not.
    This is tricky. There are achievements and there are circumstances.

I'm proud of certain things that I've done in my life but I am very proud of my family and everything they do. More so then anything I've ever done myself. I also take great pride in treating people fairly and with some decency and that's why one of the things I'm least proud of is a relationship I had with a woman who was an artist and who fell for me more then I did for her. I knew it and I let her get hurt. I'm ashamed of that.

Leave a comment:

• FeetMagic
    replied
    Where do you keep your money

Leave a comment:

• Arazi
    replied
    I work for a London based boutique investment manager. I'm trying to grow our business in Ireland and have specific responsibility for trying to land pension and charity clients who are trying to look beyond the local investment managers. Before that I was a pension/investment consultant advising similar types of clients.
    In your own mind what makes you qualified to advise clients on how best to invest their money?
    Also in light of the recent worldwide recession do you feel any guilt that your advice may have lost people a lot of money?

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    Are you concerned about the fundamentals of capitalism or do you think it can continue to outrun the flaws at its core?

Leave a comment:

• KevIRL
    replied
    Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
    What should I do with my millions which currently reside in Belgium? Leave it there? Whatever I do with it, it needs to be low risk and easily accessible cause things could go tits up down here in the shitter of the country at any time
    Oh and Ta for doing this of course.

Leave a comment:

• KevIRL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ziggin&Zaggin
    replied
    I am really enjoying this thread. I admire your honesty in relation to same.
    1 thing you are very proud of and 1 thing which you are not.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Keane View Post
    What's the reason behind not drinking, and do you think abstaining has been an important part of your success so far?
    Very few people in my family drink.

My family were very poor and there was no money for drinking. The question of drinking never even arose in my life. I'm toying with taking up some wine with food as I love good food and I might enjoy the combination but to be honest drink does nothing for me.

As for my success I wouldn't describe myself as a success yet at all. I have massive potential to be a success and I intend delivering on it.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
    I'm facinated by that book now - you're not trolling us by suggesting it, are you? I'm always wary about self-improvement stuff....
    I bought it myself. I recommended it to brianmc who bought it and I got two of his books for my brother as a birthday present. The first few chapters are full of self help BS but then he gets down to the golden stuff and it's great. If you only take one concept from the book (there are loads) and improve your life by 5% it's worth an investment of €8 isn't it? (I bought an ebook version for $11 I think)

Do you own property? Any interest in doing so (if not) or buying more (if so) and what would you look for (both in terms of property and the state of the market)? If you don't want to answer, no worries! I've held off buying for so long now, it seems like a lifetime since I first thought of buying an apartment, now would have a medium-term hope to buy a small 3-bed semi in a 'nice' part of Dublin next year or the year after, depending on the market, and with as small a mortgage as possible, hopefully about 50% - this would 'tie' me to Ireland though, which you might see as a bad idea!
    No I don't. I'd love to have my own place for non financial reasons.

Financially you'd be mad not to wait another 18-24 months but that's not the only consideration and life is finite.

I want to be a multi millionaire in the future. Having a home in a place I love doesn't sound like the worst financial/investment crime once I'm a multi millionaire.

The way i look at things is I have a list of what I want at the finish line and then I try to have some sort of plan about how best to get all of those things and then I just go for it. Nothing works out according to the plan of course but I can readjust as I go. At least then I feel I'm taking action towards the overall goal whilst certain gratifications will need to be delayed.

BTW I really admire your efforts to engage in upskilling / training / self-improvement and wish I had the motivation to do so myself, my skills are very 'soft' and as such transferrable but am sometimes alarmed / worried at how someone like me would earn a living in a less cosseted world, which is the way the winds seem to be blowing... a harsh wind directly from the East.
    It actually isn't that hard Paul. I remember looking at some people who had very impressive CVs and realising they had nothing on me and it was just a case of ticking off a few things and getting started and before you know it you start collecting some baubles yourself. It's much more important to use what you have then chasing the baubles though.

Leave a comment:

• Keane
    replied
    What's the reason behind not drinking, and do you think abstaining has been an important part of your success so far?

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    I'm facinated by that book now - you're not trolling us by suggesting it, are you? I'm always wary about self-improvement stuff...

Do you own property? Any interest in doing so (if not) or buying more (if so) and what would you look for (both in terms of property and the state of the market)? If you don't want to answer, no worries! I've held off buying for so long now, it seems like a lifetime since I first thought of buying an apartment, now would have a medium-term hope to buy a small 3-bed semi in a 'nice' part of Dublin next year or the year after, depending on the market, and with as small a mortgage as possible, hopefully about 50% - this would 'tie' me to Ireland though, which you might see as a bad idea!

BTW I really admire your efforts to engage in upskilling / training / self-improvement and wish I had the motivation to do so myself, my skills are very 'soft' and as such transferrable but am sometimes alarmed / worried at how someone like me would earn a living in a less cosseted world, which is the way the winds seem to be blowing... a harsh wind directly from the East.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
    What do you work at?

You always seem to be looking for the next big thing or business idea's,

What do you think about micro-investing? The simpson's made a good shot at explaining it but i fall to the long term profit from the investor's point of view!

if you had a 100k free what stock would buy today
    I work for a London based boutique investment manager. I'm trying to grow our business in Ireland and have specific responsibility for trying to land pension and charity clients who are trying to look beyond the local investment managers. Before that I was a pension/investment consultant advising similar types of clients.

I'd also like to start some of my own little businesses hence my interest in them Phillip. I'm not sure what is meant by micro investing but I'm hoping to start a small business early in the new year with little upfront capital if that's what you mean.

If I had 100k to invest (i.e. not to be invested in myself) then I'd invest in global blue chip equities who enjoy a serious competitive advantage for one reason or another. I'd invest in our flagship fund in other words. There are no safe havens at the moment so I'd prefer to own a slice of the survivors.

Leave a comment:

• MrsFlushdraw
    replied
    Originally posted by michelle SatNav View Post
    Have we met in real life?

How old are you?

Whats the most you have ever won in a poker tournament?

Do you watch the Xfactor?
    Nope I'm afraid not.

I'm 32.

The most I have won is I think €3.5k. I'm the value in the game as RDIII has already said.

I have watched 5 min segments of x factor but it's not really my bag.

University challenge, Masterchef, grand designs (occasionally if its a good one), Coast and the recent programme about Monty Hall in Ireland are the sort of things I watch.

I'm a scorpio and have blue eyes
    Oh! with that answer it is looking promising Michelle

Leave a comment:

• pgodkin
    replied
    What do you work at?

You always seem to be looking for the next big thing or business idea's,

What do you think about micro-investing? The simpson's made a good shot at explaining it but i fall to the long term profit from the investor's point of view!

if you had a 100k free what stock would buy today

Leave a comment:

• Keane
    replied
    Sorry Keane I missed this question.

I probably sound overly dramatic in saying I "ceded" control but the reality was that I was doing a good job for the firm I worked for and I was making time for other people when it wasn't always in my best interests and in the long run suited them but didn't advance my agenda.

Just because you get on well with someone and you work very well for them doesn't mean that they aren't harming you (not necessarily deilberately) because it makes their lives better.

It was as simple as that really. It happens to most people but you have to step back from it and take control and not be afraid to have confrontation or to let people down in order to make yourself happy.

Read the book I linked.
    I mos-def will. TY for doing this.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Could you give some cliffs on this if it's possible to talk about without getting too personal?
    Sorry Keane I missed this question.

I probably sound overly dramatic in saying I "ceded" control but the reality was that I was doing a good job for the firm I worked for and I was making time for other people when it wasn't always in my best interests and in the long run suited them but didn't advance my agenda.

Just because you get on well with someone and you work very well for them doesn't mean that they aren't harming you (not necessarily deilberately) because it makes their lives better.

It was as simple as that really. It happens to most people but you have to step back from it and take control and not be afraid to have confrontation or to let people down in order to make yourself happy.

Read the book I linked.

Leave a comment:

• westlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    For people who don't know V very well, he is a certified genius (except at poker ), knows a lot about long-term investments, is an excellent public speaker and has shocking taste in ties.
    Liam Flood?

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Hi Olly. Answer any of these which you have an opinion on

Hey Tony. Thanks for nothing!

Why is there a light in the fridge and not in the freezer?

The light in a freezer would probably blow too often and just piss people off so they just didn't bother.

Do butterflies remember life as a caterpillar?

No. I doubt they remember much if anything.

Why are the numbers on a calculator and a phone reversed?

I don't know but that's a good one...

In libraries, do they put the bible in the fiction or non-fiction section?

Non-fiction.

Why doesn't Winnie the Pooh ever get stung by the bees he messes with?

He does he just doesn't bitch about it.

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?

lol cos they can.

What happens to an irrisitable force when it hits an immovable object?

No object is immovable.

Do you wake up or open your eyes first?

Ever since my laser eye surgery I wake up first as occasionaly my eyelid sticks to the eyeball and it can be a very fucking painful way to wake up if you open the eyes first!

If an ambulance is on its way to save someone, and it runs someone over, does it stop to help them?

Yes.

If Mars had earthquakes would they be called marsquakes?

Probably not. We'd probably call the tectonic tremors on Mars or something.

Can cannibals be arrested for being under the influence of alcohol (e.g. drunk-driving) if they have eaten someone who was drunk?

No as I doubt the meat would have been digested quickly enough before the alcohol has dispersed through the meat.

Can animals commit suicide?

Yes.

When myself and MrsF tie the knot on Sept 15th next year, if there's an invite in the post are you coming up?

You ask me first and then you'll find out. That's how those things work!!

As a man who was somewhat tangentially involved in getting ye together I deserve to be invited!!

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Cool beans, I've only known him as the guy who never invests in anything on Dragon's Den
    that's because he's el busto

similar to Newman

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
    Just running out, but looking forward to reading back.

Interested in your reading habits!

What blogs, newspapers, magazines would you read on a regular basis?
    They are all over the place since I've changed job.

I use google reader to aggregate stuff from the FT and the Irish times.

I get all these very interesting resarch notes emailed to me during the day but they suffer from verbosity mostly. We also have a daily call for 20 minutes every morning which can be interesting.

I read some books slowly on my galaxy tab when I can.

I browse the propertypin, askaboutmoney once a week or so.

I study for whatever exams I have on the go and I try to research my potential clients/ current clients and keep abreast of info relating to them as much as I can.

I also read a lot about our competitors and review the market/strategise as I'm planning to get an "unfair" share of it.

Leave a comment:

• NoRiverRequired
    replied
    Ah jaysis.

Well firstly I'd recommend the book I linked above.

Then probably "The snowball" which is the authorised biography of Warren Buffet and then probably I'd recommend that you get out there and lose a few quid. No better way to learn quickly.
    Already ticked that box thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Flushdraw
    replied
    Hi Olly. Answer any of these which you have an opinion on

Why is there a light in the fridge and not in the freezer?
    Do butterflies remember life as a caterpillar?
    Why are the numbers on a calculator and a phone reversed?
    In libraries, do they put the bible in the fiction or non-fiction section?
    Why doesn't Winnie the Pooh ever get stung by the bees he messes with?
    Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?
    What happens to an irrisitable force when it hits an immovable object?
    Do you wake up or open your eyes first?
    If an ambulance is on its way to save someone, and it runs someone over, does it stop to help them?
    If Mars had earthquakes would they be called marsquakes?
    Can cannibals be arrested for being under the influence of alcohol (e.g. drunk-driving) if they have eaten someone who was drunk?
    Can animals commit suicide?
    When myself and MrsF tie the knot on Sept 15th next year, if there's an invite in the post are you coming up?

Leave a comment:

• Hitchhiker's Guide To...
    replied

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
    Imagine how impressive he could sound without the Cavan accent.
    The guy is half blind, has a cavan accent, is facially disfigured and yet is a self made man. He has a black belt in judo and can speak for an hour direct from the heart with just one page and a few bullet points marked on it (I witnessed him do that myself).

I was actually tempted to volunteer on his campaign until I got a grip of the man love and decided that he's probably wasted on the presidency.

Leave a comment:

• Keane
    replied
    I ceded control of my life to suit other peoples agenda without realising it
    Could you give some cliffs on this if it's possible to talk about without getting too personal?

He personally impresses me and has a record from an early age of being involved in civic issues for altrustic reasons. He's very competent and impressive and an incredible public speaker. I'd be genuinely proud to have him represnet me.

I have only met him once in my life and I could not get over how much he impressed me.

Cool beans, I've only known him as the guy who never invests in anything on Dragon's Den

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
    If you could recomend 3 books to a novice Investor what would they be?

Ah jaysis.

Well firstly I'd recommend the book I linked above.

Then probably "The snowball" which is the authorised biography of Warren Buffet and then probably I'd recommend that you get out there and lose a few quid. No better way to learn quickly.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by michelle SatNav View Post
    Have we met in real life?

How old are you?

Whats the most you have ever won in a poker tournament?

Do you watch the Xfactor?
    Nope I'm afraid not.

I'm 32.

The most I have won is I think €3.5k. I'm the value in the game as RDIII has already said.

I have watched 5 min segments of x factor but it's not really my bag.

University challenge, Masterchef, grand designs (occasionally if its a good one), Coast and the recent programme about Monty Hall in Ireland are the sort of things I watch.

I'm a scorpio and have blue eyes

Leave a comment:

• Lord Sir Banter
    replied
    Imagine how impressive he could sound without the Cavan accent.

Leave a comment:

• NoRiverRequired
    replied
    If you could recomend 3 books to a novice Investor what would they be?

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin View Post
    A pint with Bono with an indepth discussinon of your choice or a kick about with Ronney and a few gargles afterwards down the local?
    I don't drink.

I grew up on U2's songs but Bono annoys me somewhat now but I'd enjoy a healthy "discussion" with him if he was open to hearing some other opinions then his own.

I'm shite at soccer but I'd have a kick around with Ronnie.

Probably Bono just to stick a few things to him.....

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Why Gallagher #1? I asked on the BBV why he's even running and got no answer - seems bizarro to me...
    He personally impresses me and has a record from an early age of being involved in civic issues for altrustic reasons. He's very competent and impressive and an incredible public speaker. I'd be genuinely proud to have him represnet me.

I have only met him once in my life and I could not get over how much he impressed me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X