Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so everyone is at it except me.... or am i

so iam stuck and iam going no place...

i was going to write a big spiff about how i got here but i don't think there is any need to, even though i will probably break into it every now and then any how

sex: male
    height: 5'11"
    weight may 2010: 21st+
    current weight: 18st 7lbs
    target weight: 16st sept-oct 2011
    low point: going to portugal last year and getting in a dinghy with the kids only for this type effect to happen

so anyhow came back from portugal last year and decided to do something about the weight, i basically started watching what i was eating and cut out all the crap and within a few months i was down to 18 1/2 stone but i have come that far and now i am stuck. i am a dinger for the curries which is probably my downfall and picking away in the evening is another bad habit i have. anyhow last week i decided to give it another shove and set up an a/c with my fitnesspal.com, i think this brings you straight to my food diary.

anyhow iam trying to cut 1000 calories a day from my diet, iam achieving it or something very close to it at least. iam a lazy bastard and never liked exercise but i aam carrying a few injurys as well which dosn't help either, basically i broke my 2 hips when i was a young fella and now have arthritis in my right hip which is getting pretty bad as the years go by, of course it is not helped by the fact that i made shit of my right ankle off a motorbike 12yrs ago (lucky to have my foot left after it tbh)and as a result i have no movement of my right ankle atall which makes walking a challenge and running a no no. then there is the back which is also not great due to another bike accident and never looked after properly. i broke my leg a few times aswell and broke both arms also but they don't affect me really. i will try and get in some walking but there are times that the ol' hip is just to sore to go for a walk.

so what am i trying to achieve by starting this log?..
    well i hope it will do something like myfitnesspal has done for me in that it is making me more conscious of my weight.
    coupled with the fact that now that it is public it will be harder to throw in the towel.
    finally iam hoping for some tips and ideas on staying focused and loosing weight.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Jaysus your like the bionic man
    Can you swim?

If your hip is giving you alot of trouble at least swimming is a low impact excercise which does help improve your fitness. Drink more water (unless you forgot to put how many glasses you drink in a day), and best of luck with this. Im sure the other people will come on with tips etc., (being blokes and all)..

As the weight comes off you will see a big difference with the achy joints...
    Follow me in twitterland

Comment

With the amount of broken bones you have there is no surprise that you are so angry....

Best of luck with this and +1 with the swimming if at all possible. My uncle is also a very big man, and the weight fell off him when he started looking after his diet and swimming daily. No doubt it's very very hard at first, but it's a great way to build up the heart and lose weight.
      Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

The lads will be on later to give you more detailed info no doubt, but I'll pre-empt them by straight away saying throw out the toast, replace with eggs.

That would be a MAJOR dietary improvement immediately.

Comment

Also, I was like at the list of injuries!

Comment

lol getting life insurance is a challenge

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Best of luck with this

Comment

just a quick update

well iam 10days into my new weight loss drive and finally i have dipped below the 18/7 mark by 4lbs to 18/3

Comment

go into more detail about the injuries. a bit of calcium might be a good addition.

Comment

Originally posted by CheckRaise View Post
                    go into more detail about the injuries. a bit of calcium might be a good addition.
                    right ankle joint has been removed and the bones fused together
                    right hip is pretty bad with arthrirtis and probably needs to be replaced tbh
                    back is most likely out of kilter due to the injuries on my right leg, motorbike accident and alot off hardship when i was younger.

Comment

so iam still going at this and getting in about an hour of walking most days aswell.
                      i have my days meals down pretty good atm i think

breakfast;
                      2 boiled/scrambled eggs or maybe make an omlette with them and add tomatoes mushrooms onions and a little chorizo or salami to liven it up.

lunch:
                      2 fruit, (banna/apple/orane/grapes) and maybe some tuna salad or some bean salad

dinner:
                      would be either chicken breast/couple of pork chops/beef/steak, with a salad or some veggies, i would normally heap up the plate with salad or veggies. i have strayed a few times and had a homemade burger or two for dinner
                      SPOILER
                      your sitting there with a bit of chicken or a porkchop and a head of lettuce and the kids are eating these beautifull burgers, why wouldn't you stray

iam also trying to source some nice lowfat/lowcalorie curries and i have a few`, but the rice is the real killer with these.

anyhow my diet is pretty good up til this, but about 8 or 9 in the night i start to get peckish again, and the body craves carbs so i normally end out doing the dog on it with bread often 4 or 5 slices i could also go cracked and have a twirl or a bag of crisps or something.
                      myfitnesspal.com allows me 1600cals a day and through a bit of walking i would bring this up to 1900ish a day and while this latenight snacks dosn't put me over my daily calorie limit, i just know its a killer.

so my questions are
                      1: what is wrong with my diet/routine that i end up craving carbs at the end of the day?

2: what would be good snack optionsto have around 8/9 in the night, that would satisfy me?

3: what do ye think of my overall diet/routine?
                      Last edited by Angry-Ball; 20-07-11, 14:41.

Comment

Diet looks great when you manage to keep to it.

I wouldn't have thought homemade burgers would be so terrible either - what's in them?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                          Diet looks great when you manage to keep to it.

I wouldn't have thought homemade burgers would be so terrible either - what's in them?
                          yeah i get them in the local butchers where they make them themselves, i roll them out flat with the rolling pin between two sheets of tinfoil and grill the shit out of them, gets rid of all that fat and grease. its the burger bun and the cheese is the real killer here.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                            yeah i get them in the local butchers where they make them themselves, i roll them out flat with the rolling pin between two sheets of tinfoil and grill the shit out of them, gets rid of all that fat and grease. its the burger bun and the cheese is the real killer here.
                            Lol, I forgot the bun!

I wouldn't worry about the cheese too much, if you can forego the bun you're fairly guilt free really.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                              Lol, I forgot the bun!

I wouldn't worry about the cheese too much, if you can forego the bun you're fairly guilt free really.

sacralige i tells ya
                              sacralige

i will try it without the bun but it won't be a burger then, just a meat patty with some lettuce tomato and chese

Comment

Burger bowls are pretty great.

Salad, tomato, onion, some nice dressing(dijon mustard works well) and you've got a tasty and healthy meal.

Breakfast is good. Can't go wrong with eggs.

Try berries instead of bananas/apples/oranges. Frozen blueberries are the nuts.

Nuts(cashews, almonds, brazil nuts) are good to snack on in moderation(20-35g max)

A spoonful of peanut butter is pretty beneficial and a good little snack, esp late at night.

Try to eat smaller portions, but more often. Have a big breakfast and then have progressively smaller portions through the day.

It's ok to snack late at night, if the food you're snacking on isn't bad for you. Blueberries =+ greek yogurt/spoon of peanut butter, 25g of cashews/Cup of raw spinach are all great to have in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                  Burger bowls are pretty great.

Salad, tomato, onion, some nice dressing(dijon mustard works well) and you've got a tasty and healthy meal.

Breakfast is good. Can't go wrong with eggs.

Try berries instead of bananas/apples/oranges. Frozen blueberries are the nuts.

Nuts(cashews, almonds, brazil nuts) are good to snack on in moderation(20-35g max)

A spoonful of peanut butter is pretty beneficial and a good little snack, esp late at night.

Try to eat smaller portions, but more often. Have a big breakfast and then have progressively smaller portions through the day.

It's ok to snack late at night, if the food you're snacking on isn't bad for you. Blueberries =+ greek yogurt/spoon of peanut butter, 25g of cashews/Cup of raw spinach are all great to have in the evening.
                                  whatcha got against the poor old apple, bannana and oranges thought they would have been pretty good, i find an orange quite filling tbh

i love nuts but they are very calorie heavy and 20gr isn't even a handfull.

Comment

whatcha got against the poor old apple, bannana and oranges
                                    High in sugar. It's natural sugar, but still sugar.

i love nuts but they are very calorie heavy and 20gr isn't even a handfull.
                                    They're also packed with fibre, vitimans, fatty acids and other good stuff. I typically have between 25-50g, to the lower side of that scale if you want to keep the calories down. Snack on em through the day. A handful here, a handful there.
                                    Last edited by Moneymaker; 20-07-11, 18:09.

Comment

17st 9lbs,

first time i have dropped below 18st in about 4yrs.

Comment

first time i have dropped below 18st in about 4yrs.
                                        Well done, keep it up.

Just one thing I noticed above (might have been covered) but you said the rice is a killer with the curries. Have you tried brown rice (does it make a difference?)? My wife uses it a lot and you won't taste any difference imo. Also there is another thing called quinoa (bit similar to cous cous) and you could have that with curries as well. Again you'd hardly notice the difference once you have a sauce to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                          Well done, keep it up.

Just one thing I noticed above (might have been covered) but you said the rice is a killer with the curries. Have you tried brown rice (does it make a difference?)? My wife uses it a lot and you won't taste any difference imo. Also there is another thing called quinoa (bit similar to cous cous) and you could have that with curries as well. Again you'd hardly notice the difference once you have a sauce to go with it.
                                          rice is rice as far as i know and still full of carbs, the only difference between brown and white is brown uses wholegrain which is probably a better source for fibre. but tbh iam not sure.

this is a recipe for dhal made from lentils and desicated coconut i found over in the other place. it is high in calories and protein but low in carbs and makes a good substitute for rice, you just have to watch the quantities.

this is an extremely nice prawn curry that is low in calories that i serve with it.

this is also a good link for the curry lover as it gives calories, protein, fat and carbs per portion of the recipe. its an english site so it uses ingredients and measurements that us europeans understand
                                          Last edited by Angry-Ball; 05-08-11, 11:16.

Comment

Hey check out this documentary called
                                            Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Its about an ozzie bloke going on a vegatable Juice diet for 60 days. He also ropes in a morbidly obese American truck driver to give it a try.

Even if you dont go on the full blown diet, still drinking the juice instead of snacking will bring you great benefits and also helps against auto immune diseases such as arthritis.

you can watch it here online for free

letmewatchthis.ch is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, letmewatchthis.ch has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

BTW, well done so far!

Comment

Nice one AB. Breaking a nice milestone like that should do wonders for you.( I remember being ecstatic when I broke through all my targets - 119kg, 99, 89, 79 etc etc) Well done and keep going.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                                Nice one AB. Breaking a nice milestone like that should do wonders for you.( I remember being ecstatic when I broke through all my targets - 119kg, 99, 89, 79 etc etc) Well done and keep going.
                                                yeah iam very pleased with myself, just shows that it is all starting to pay off. i was getting a bit fed up with the whole thing tbh as i weigh myself every friday morning. and for the 3-4 weeks previous i was coming in at 18st 1lb and wasn't showing any change much, other than a 1lb swing either way. then yesterday 17st 9lbs, had to stand on the scales again this morning just to be sure

Comment

i hit the magical 17st mark this morning.
                                                  so pretty pleased with my self, despite taking the eye off the ball somewhat in the last few weeks, the weight is still coming down allbeit somewhat slower than i had hoped for.
                                                  but it is all good.
                                                  Last edited by Angry-Ball; 16-09-11, 09:32.

Comment

Congrats & keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X