Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A beginners journal from Dec10 to Dec11

Hi everyone,

Ok, so first of all let me start by saying that saying I'm a nobody in the poker world. I had an account on Fulltilt cashed out a few times but no massive pay days. I've decided to leave my beloved FT and enter the world of Pokerstars.

From next Sunday on I shall be playing the $55 DnG Sunday special and the $11 1/4 Million at least 2 weeks out of every month.( I would hope to maybe play three a month but due to shift work this will not always be the case)

So what I hear you ask??

Well I plan to use this thread to keep a log of how much I deposit over a year to play these (and only these two tournaments) and how many cashes or profit I'm up or down over a full year. I will deposit the 75 dollars needed each week and if I cash at all i will keep a record of how much each cashout was and deduct the buy-in from this.

The plan is to only play these two tournaments on pokerstars. No Cash, No SitnGo's and no Sats as I feel that any tilt inducing play elsewhere will have a serious effect on my play. And At least this way I will have a week to shake off any bad play or suckouts.

So this is it. I've committed to this thread so wish me luck. Please could all the smart arses keep their comments to themselves as I want to use this as a means of learning. I will post Hand histories and details of finishing places + the hand that knocks me out each week.

Anyone with some positive feedback or suggestions on my entries each week is more than welcome to contribute.

Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Tilt Gone; 18-11-10, 15:45.

Good Luck buddy. Sounds really interesting.
    Looking forward to see how you get on.

Comment

Best of luck!
      NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

gl, will be interesting to follow

Comment

What's your starting roll?
          As variance with a $55 MTT is pretty big.

Also, there is a dedicated forum for logs, prob a good idea to move it there, won't get lost in the regular weekly noise in the main forum.

Comment

1st of all thanks for the interest lads.

Hi Mellor,

I guess you could say the $75 for the first two tournaments is my starting roll. I'm in a position that basically i can afford to lose $150 to $200 dollars a month without having to worry about it. Hence this is why I will be only playing the $55 DNG and the $11 1/4 million every second sunday.

I suppose you could say I've 150 euro a month to play with so I've a bank roll of 1800 for the year. Although it doesn't look like I'm sticking to any sort of bankroll management I have my own reasons for going about it in this way.

I don't plan on lodging this full amount because I tend to get the urge to play cash games after a few cans and this as lead to some disastrous results., Also if I do lodge it all, it will be far too easy for me to start playing tournaments when I'm bored in the house which I'm really trying to get away from doing.

Also I will be using UKash as my deposit method as again this will deter me from playing any other games on Pokerstars.

I think that I should also mention that I don't plan to withdraw any cash from this account until the year is up. That's if there is any to cash out lol. I hope this will be the year where I finally decide whether I continue to play online or give up online for good.

The fact of the matter is that between work, + house + girlfriend + (saving to get engaged on the sly lol), although I love playing poker, the online might have to stop as unless there is some sign of some real profit then my Sunday nights (+ every other hour I play) could be far better spent + the loss of 1800 over the next year will really show me it's time to let the dream die.

Thanks for the advice about moving this to the correct forum. Mods if one of you could do that it would be great thanks.

I hope that some people will get enjoyment out of this, as i start upon my journey of discovery. Hopefully, both I and the people who follow this can get something out of it whether it be advice on hand histories or on trying to find the time to play the game we love and juggle our day to day life + jobs on top.
            Last edited by Tilt Gone; 18-11-10, 01:20.

Comment

Oh almost forgot!

To make sure I stick to my guns about specific tournaments that I post on here. I am going to post my screen name for Stars so anyone can log into sharkscope or officialpokerrankings and check that I'm sticking to what i'm saying now as well as check out my stats from time to time.

Screen name: Murphy'sBar. Should be no stats up yet as I literally only signed up with Stars today.
              Last edited by Tilt Gone; 18-11-10, 16:04.

Comment

just to put in my 2c. if you only plan on playing these tournaments your game will only get rusty and you will be trying to squeeze out as much entertainment value from them to the point where you will probably end up at best min cashing. also playing a small number of large field mtt is not the best way to see if you have what it takes to be profitable. just enjoy playing the micros and use your profits to play these games the odd time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJoker View Post
                  just to put in my 2c. if you only plan on playing these tournaments your game will only get rusty and you will be trying to squeeze out as much entertainment value from them to the point where you will probably end up at best min cashing. also playing a small number of large field mtt is not the best way to see if you have what it takes to be profitable. just enjoy playing the micros and use your profits to play these games the odd time.
                  Thanks for your input Joker. I can see where you're coming from but the micro's hold no appeal for me any more. I'm doing it this way as I have lost focus over the last few months, playing far too many different tournaments and the rush tournaments have destroyed my game altogether. i'm trying to narrow it down and solely focus on above tournaments. I should add that I do still play live once or twice a week so I tend to use this just to keep the brain ticking over

with the variety and sheer volume of games available these days I'm becoming distracted and personally don't think I'm giving any of them my undivided attention.

In relation to just getting entertainment out of it, I understand what you're saying, ie. that I may be too passive as I'll want to get as much play as possible considering I wont be playing for another week or so but only I can answer honestly and say I don't think (or at least hope) that will be the case.

Hopefully my posting of the hand histories along with my position finishes might make you change your mind eventually

But I'll definitely take what you said on board and will post hands or decisions I make, up on here if i think that they may have been affected by what you said

Hopefully you'll stick around regardless and thanks again for your commenting.
                  Last edited by Tilt Gone; 18-11-10, 15:46.

Comment

I thought from the thread title that this was going to be an epic journalling from December the 10th to December the 11th.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                      I thought from the thread title that this was going to be an epic journalling from December the 10th to December the 11th.

lol thought the same thing

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post

lol thought the same thing
                        me too, some epic 2am to 10pm 44hr post coppers degen session

Comment

best of luck with this and I really like the idea of giving yourself some focus, but I think if you're only playing max six tournies a month its going to be pretty tough going. your chances of cashing are so low and more often than not it'll be a min cash or $140 or something, even when you get in touching distance of the final tables you get feck all on on stars.

so I'd suggest you consider throwing in a few more tournies. there's a $22 game at 17.00 Irish time, and a $22 1R1A at 19.15, and another $22 later on in the evening. If you could afford it go for them too. the standard is quite bad and if you're happy to play tight you'll have a reasonable expectation in them.

if you can afford it at all, play them. if not then as soon as you get your first small cashes, re-invest them in more entries because you'll be lucky if anything massively interesting happens over 6 games a month.

GL!

Comment

Originally posted by Tilt Gone View Post
                            I tend to get the urge to play cash games after a few cans and this as lead to some disastrous results.
                            I don't plan to withdraw any cash from this account until the year is up.
                            Slight issue with your plan

other than that gl with your year

Comment

Originally posted by bops View Post
                              Slight issue with your plan

other than that gl with your year
                              So true but i am aware of it and hopefully this thread will help me in someways at sticking to this set of rules. All I can do is wait and see.

Comment

So true but i am aware of it and hopefully this thread will help me in someways at sticking to this set of rules. All I can do is wait and see.
                                Why not deposit a small amount on Full Tilt for drunken spunkage?

Only ever open stars for your plan.

Good luck btw
                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by 8611 View Post
                                  best of luck with this and I really like the idea of giving yourself some focus, but I think if you're only playing max six tournies a month its going to be pretty tough going. your chances of cashing are so low and more often than not it'll be a min cash or $140 or something, even when you get in touching distance of the final tables you get feck all on on stars.

so I'd suggest you consider throwing in a few more tournies. there's a $22 game at 17.00 Irish time, and a $22 1R1A at 19.15, and another $22 later on in the evening. If you could afford it go for them too. the standard is quite bad and if you're happy to play tight you'll have a reasonable expectation in them.

if you can afford it at all, play them. if not then as soon as you get your first small cashes, re-invest them in more entries because you'll be lucky if anything massively interesting happens over 6 games a month.

GL!
                                  Hi 8611,

I've had a look over the posts this morning and again this concern has been raised. Not only by you, but by Joker and Mellor also. Having looked at the budget for this and considering the large fields involved in the tournaments I've chosen, I've decided to take your advice and add one or two more games to this experiment.

One game will be $10 knockout heads up and the other will be decided on the day depending on my free time etc. I like the sound of the tournaments you suggested but the start times may be a factor so i'll review this and try narrow down the type of game I want to play. Again my budget may be a factor so instead of playing the third week of Sunday tournaments this might be better invested in smaller tournaments with less of a field and greater chance of getting a nice sized cash early to roll me for the year.

Thanks again for your input. The reason i posted this so early in November is for people to give their two cents beforehand so I can take on board any good advice and have my plan + details fully ironed out before I start.

Oh and sorry about the thread title lol. It made sense to me at the time.

Tilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                    Why not deposit a small amount on Full Tilt for drunken spunkage?

Only ever open stars for your plan.

Good luck btw
                                    I'd considered doing this and have $70 or $80 left in my acc + rakeback this fri so I intend to leave that there just in case.

For me, this experiment is more than just a poker challenge, it's a personal challenge to see if once the final details are made and this starts, I can stick to the terms I set out for myself.

Poker involves discipline and hopefully by being disciplined in my approach to this it will rub off in my approach to each hand I play.

I think by that doing this on here it will help in my selection of games as I'll want to do well, not only for myself, but in order to give anyone advice on here I think a certain level of success should be present before advising on someones play. This should also stop me from entering tournaments out of boredom especially when I know for a fact I'm not 100% committed to it.
                                    Last edited by Tilt Gone; 18-11-10, 16:19.

Comment

I think your plan is ok if you are limited in the times you can play.

If you can't play on a given Sunday you could just substitute it for the DNG on any day for that week.
                                      It'll take a lot of discipline so I would recommend keeping a small roll on ipoker/Full Tilt just in case you are in the mood of playing a small tourney and don't want to break your schedule on Stars.
                                      Good luck with it.

Comment

One game will be $10 knockout heads up and the other will be decided on the day depending on my free time etc.

instead of playing the third week of Sunday tournaments this might be better invested in smaller tournaments with less of a field and greater chance of getting a nice sized cash early to roll me for the year.
                                        not sure what the heads up game is - if its a tournament with multiple heads up games all I'd say is that that'll take a lot of attention and concentration and may make it more difficult to play other games at the same time - its not like you might only play a few hands an hour like you would in a normal tournament, you'll have to make decisions every 10 seconds.

As against that I think HU is the best form of poker to make you play better and it will give you an edge if you do go deep elsewhere particularly when you get down to three or four handed. I think a lot of nits have no idea how to adjust in those circumstances and if you're lucky enough to get that far you can take advantage.

finally I'd actually advise you to play the Sunday games provided being up all night doesn't present any problems. I think you have a better expectation the more people play and on a Sunday some lads will play like 20 tournaments and are thus not giving their best in any one of them. they'll also be thinking fuck it there's still two thousand players left I'll get it in here / fuck it there's another game starting / fuck it I'm doing well in the other tournie etc.. if you're a winning player focussed on an individual game the more people play and the more tournaments they play the more people you're better than.

second finally check when the tournies end vis a vis work or whatever. when I used to play them the 17.00 $22 game used to end around midnight which was grand for work, the $55 game around three etc. On a Sunday they all last longer and they changed the structure of the 1R 1A and it gets more runners so runs a lot longer now. look at the completed tournaments to see where you stand and what suits your lifestyle - no point in playing if you're going to be knackered or thinking of getting it in light to force the issue.

Comment

The $10 knockout heads up is like you described (multiple heads up games). It's a $5 buy-in with $5 bounty for knocking the other guy out. I plan on playing this mid week when the girlfriend is on nights and I'm off work the next day. On these nights I will only be playing this tournament to fully concentrate plus I think the $5 bounties might be a clever way of building up a small roll to fund some other tournaments.

In relation to the Sundays, time isn't a factor as I will only be playing them when I'm off on the Monday which is roughly every second Sunday. Like you described playing multiple tournaments was exactly what I was doing and some of the quotes are exactly how I was playing so hopefully this stricter game selection will help.

to counter balance the lack of Sunday's I can play I'm going to take gorrr's advice and add a midweek DNG.
                                          Last edited by Tilt Gone; 18-11-10, 21:49.

Comment

Good Luck with this, sample size will be small and realistically will never know your true ROI in those games(with that said i think a blind man bashing keys wil be +ev in these tourneys on a sunday) and those fields get huge on weekends,

you should try add some of the 22$ Big Antes, 6max and 27.50$ games with caps at 360 or 500 players,

i also would recommend maybe adding the the Daily 40k that starts @ 7pm and the 3Rebuy starts @ 7.15(i think) and the 10$ Rebuy (9pm) on PS, your outlay won't be much more and they are all good value tourneys with big prizepools,

good luck and i look forward to reading on monday morning that you shipped the DNG for 42k
                                            http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DrJFF View Post
                                              Good Luck with this, sample size will be small and realistically will never know your true ROI in those games(with that said i think a blind man bashing keys wil be +ev in these tourneys on a sunday) and those fields get huge on weekends,

you should try add some of the 22$ Big Antes, 6max and 27.50$ games with caps at 360 or 500 players,

i also would recommend maybe adding the the Daily 40k that starts @ 7pm and the 3Rebuy starts @ 7.15(i think) and the 10$ Rebuy (9pm) on PS, your outlay won't be much more and they are all good value tourneys with big prizepools,

good luck and i look forward to reading on monday morning that you shipped the DNG for 42k
                                              Lol thanks DrJFF, unfortunately This Sunday is a no-no as I've tickets to see LCD Sound System in the Tripod.

Won't be starting my pokerstars career until late this month. If anyone else has some suggestions on certain tournaments they reckon have good value please do share.I'll be narrowing down game selection early next week.

Comment

Ok so, playing $5 20K guaranteed and the $11 40K this evening. Let's see how they go.

No hands of interest yet

Stack: largest 13590, smallest 26, average 3289
                                                Your current position is 873 out of 3010
                                                Time bank balance is 90 seconds
                                                in 10 min blinds 25/50

Comment

how this going 4 ya? any updates??

Comment

story?

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

have you started?
                                                      http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

[x] Confirmed Busto

Comment

http://www.pokerprolabs.com/Murphy%2...okerStars.aspx

0/34, small sample size but maybe he'll get another few quid on and have another go.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post

http://www.pokerprolabs.com/Murphy%2...okerStars.aspx

0/34, small sample size but maybe he'll get another few quid on and have another go.
                                                            No I'm still here, just forgot all about this. Currently have an ROI of 40% and a profit of $550 for 2011 lol.

Truth be known I've been playing really badly but mangaed to finish 2nd in the guarenteed 6K $3 rebuy on Stars a while back which lifted me a bit.
                                                            Last edited by Tilt Gone; 21-05-11, 23:27.

Comment

Working...
                                                            X