Shut Up and Squat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shut Up and Squat!

Might as well start my own log as I plan on spending a good deal of time around these parts.

Background info
    Age - 24
    Height - 5ft 9.5 inches (the half inch is very important )
    Weight - 93kg

Current max lifts (all in kilograms)
    Squat - 180
    Bench - 105
    Deadlift - 200
    Military Press - 70
    Power Clean - 72.5 x 3 x 3 (haven't tested a max)

Short-term goals (hopefully by Christmas)
    Squat - 200
    Bench - 115
    Deadlift - 220
    Military Press - 80
    Power Clean - 90

I play american football for around 8 months of the year and I'd like to have a go at powerlifting sometime in the future. I'll add in some body measurements in a few days which will be updated every month or so.

At the moment, I'm following a program called the Texas Method which consists of 3 workouts a week. (1) Volume (2) Recovery (3) Intensity. I suppose I should mention I sometimes use an 8 or 9 day week as a lifting week, depending on how I feel.

I'll also post up some vids when I get a chance to make the thread a bit more colourful and I'll continue to do so as the months progress.

tl;dr - I like lifting stuff

Really impressive lifting.

Something to aspire too, this log should keep me well motivated.
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Looking forward to updates, thats some savage weights your lifting.

Comment

Week 1 Day 1 (Volume)
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------
        Warm-up: 15 mins of mobility drills and some neck bridges

Squat
        Bar x 2 x 5
        50 x 5
        70 x 4
        100 x 3
        120 x 2
        *belt and wrist wraps on*
        140 x 1
        155 x 1
        165 x 5,5,5,5,4

Military Press
        Bar x 2 x 5
        40 x 3
        52.5 x 1
        62.5 x 5,5,4,3,2 *PB*

Bent Over Barbell Row
        50 x 5
        75 x 5 x 5

Good Mornings
        70 x 3 x 12

Chins supersetted with Dips
        BW + 10kg x 5,5,4 with BW + 14kg x 3 x 5

Lying Leg Curl
        17.5 x 3 x 12

Warm-down: 20 mins of static stretching
        -------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy enough with the squats although they were tough. I buried myself on the final rep of the last set and couldn't come out of the hole. Pretty ghey to fail on the final rep .

Averaged about 5-8 mins between the working sets iirc. For the Texas Method, I started off at around 135 x 5x5 adding 5kg every week. I'm pretty close to my limit now and will be deloading very soon on squats.

Military Press was awful seeing as I got 60 5x5 pretty handily last time. Everything else was pretty standard. I'll add more weight to the other exercises next time except for the chins.

Comment

I see your stretching after your lifts.

I find it adds seriously to my DOMS and can sometimes even mean a slight strain, particularly in the groin/ham/glute areas. Any experience of this and thoughts on my experience of it?
          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
            I see your stretching after your lifts.

I find it adds seriously to my DOMS and can sometimes even mean a slight strain, particularly in the groin/ham/glute areas. Any experience of this and thoughts on my experience of it?
            Cant say I have any experience of strains from stretching tbh. The areas you're describing though would lead me to believe that it COULD be down to a tightness or 'knots' in the muscle.

I'm not sure if you do any foam rolling to benefit from myofasical release but it's defo something you should look into. For example, I'll spend about 10 mins before bed loosening the muscles I've worked in the gym on a foam roller and a tennis ball. The tennis ball is really good for loosening any trigger points in the glutes.

Here's two awesome articles to get you started:

I'd just like to mention that I'm not an expert though. Although I have been lifting on and off for 10 years or so, I have no actual fitness qualifications. Might be a good idea to ask Bubbleking to get a professional opinion.

Oh and in terms of DOMS, I like to add about 15-20 grams of l-glutamine into my post-workout shake which is an excellent way of keeping DOMS down to a minimum.

Comment

Some nice 1RMs in there, still havent tested any of mine, but I know my 3RM for some so have an idea.
              Pretty close to 2xBW squat

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                Some nice 1RMs in there, still havent tested any of mine, but I know my 3RM for some so have an idea.
                That's what I love about the Texas method. On the intensity day of the lifting week, I alternate between going for 1, 2 and 3 rep PBs. So you get to see constant progress.

You should defo test you're maxes. Great fun altogether

Comment

Here's some vids as promised. The bands on my knees are Tommy Kono knee bands. They are made of neoprene and simply keep my knees nice and warm to aid in the lubrication of the joint. I do some variation of squats each time I'm in the gym so knee health is of upmost importance.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_ySJP8fog"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_ySJP8fog[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utL0PPWOKU0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utL0PPWOKU0[/ame]

Those videos were taken around 3 or 4 months ago iirc. I've changed a few things on both lifts since then. Now, I'm trying my best to move the bar a bit lower down my back for the squats so I'll be able to lift more. My shoulder flexibility sucks and I still need to work on it.

With regards the deadlift, my hips rise a bit too much for my liking before the bar starts to move off the floor so I've been working on that also. Finally, I now hold my breath on the deadlift before I get into the starting position as opposed to when I'm down there if that makes sense.

I might as well add that I've found taking videos of your lifts as an invaluable learning tool and I cannot recommend it enough.

Comment

As for shoulder flexibility, have you tried shoulder dislocates?

videos look good, proper depth squat etc

Comment

As for shoulder flexibility, have you tried shoulder dislocates?
                      Yeah, I've been doing dislocates for a good while and they've helped a great deal. I just need to stop being lazy and start doing more shoulder stretches to get the extra range of motion required.

Comment

Week 1 Day 2 (Recovery)

Front Squat
                        Bar x 2 x 5
                        50 x 5
                        70 x 4
                        90 x 3
                        *wrist wraps on*
                        110 x 2
                        130 x 3 x 3 *PB*

Bench Press
                        Bar x 2 x 5
                        50 x 4
                        70 x 3
                        85 x 1
                        *wrist wraps on*
                        95 x 3 x 3 *paused*

Power Clean
                        Bar x 2 x 5
                        40 x 5
                        50 x 3
                        62.5 x 1
                        72.5 x 3 x 3

Face pulls supersetted with rotator cuff work (cable)
                        36.25 x 3 x 15 with 8.75 x 3 x 12

Warm-down: gym was closing so I'll do some stretching at home

Front squats are getting hard. The toughest part is breathing in between the reps. My legs still felt fried from the volume session so I was happy to get all of the prescribed reps.

Benching was fine. Paused means that I lower it down to my chest, let it touch for around a second to kill the bounce/momentum and then press it up from a dead start.

Power cleans and assistance work were standard. Barely any breaks because the gym was closing but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Comment

w00t! w00t! Finally, the delivery man came with these today...

They were made by Nike especially for the Beijing Olympics. Nike discontinued them a while back because they're eejits.

Anyways, tried them in the gym tonight. Couldn't be happier. It's like the whole ground is made of velcro and the .75 inch heel makes it ridiculously easy to break parallel.

I'm only going to use them for squats and powercleans. Will stick with my converse for the other lifts.
                          Last edited by Lurker23; 06-09-10, 22:40. Reason: spelling

Comment

Week 1 Day 3 (Intensity)

Squat
                            Bar x 2 x 5
                            50 x 5
                            70 x 4
                            100 x 3
                            120 x 2
                            *wrist wraps and belt on*
                            140 x 1
                            160 x 1
                            175 x 3 *PB*

Military Press
                            Bar x 2 x 5
                            40 x 3
                            50 x 2
                            60 x 1
                            70 x 3 *PB*

Deadlift
                            Bar x 2 x 5
                            70 x 5
                            100 x 4
                            120 x 3
                            140 x 2
                            *belt on*
                            160 x 1
                            180 x 1
                            195 x 3 *PB*

Warm-down: 15 mins static stretching

Super day today. Personal bests all over the place.

The Romaleos are unreal for squatting in. I thought it would take a while for me to adapt to the different mechanics in the shoes but it felt really natural. They'll add at least 10kg to my previous max so 190kg x 1 should be there next week.

The military press was straightforward. The exercise is a bit hit and miss for me. Hopefully, I can get a bit more consistent.

Deadlifts were great too. There was definitely another rep in the tank anyway.

Roll on next week.

Comment

How much were the romaleos, I can't really justify buying them at the min, I should prob get new running shoes first

Comment

How much were the romaleos, I can't really justify buying them at the min, I should prob get new running shoes first
                                They cost $189 plus p&p which was approx $35 to Ireland. God knows what'd be to Oz. Got them from Rogue Fitness. Nobody else seems to do them.

The only other option is to keep an eye out on ebay but usually they only have gigantic sizes.

Comment

Week 2 Day 1 (Volume)

Squat
                                  Bar x 2 x 5
                                  60 x 5
                                  80 x 4
                                  100 x 3
                                  120 x 2
                                  140 x 1
                                  155 x 1
                                  165 x 5 x 5 *PB*

Bench Press
                                  Bar x 2 x 5
                                  60 x 4
                                  70 x 3
                                  80 x 2
                                  90 x 1
                                  *wrist wraps on*
                                  97.5 x 5 x 5 *PB*

Power Cleans
                                  Bar x 2 x 5
                                  40 x 5
                                  50 x 3
                                  60 x 1
                                  75 x 6 x 3 *PB*

Good Mornings
                                  75 x 3 x 12 *PB*

Chins
                                  BW + 10kg x 3 x 5 *PB*

Warm-down: In a rush, will do my stretching at home.

Again, thank you Romaleos. Squats were much easier than last week. Plus my depth is pretty awesome, way below parallel.

Benching was fine. The very last rep was a grinder but I'd expect that.

The six sets of three on the power cleans were tough. I only took a minutes break in between them as I was running out of time so I was very happy to get all of the reps.

Assistance stuff was fine. I dont do dips on the same week as the bench press as I think that would be overkill.

On a side note, I ran into a friend of mine who used to do powerlifting. Got some tips off him on how to do/get into postion for low bar squats. It was really helpful. I tried them with 60kg and I could really feel the difference compared to high bar. The weight felt ridiculously light although my wrists were complaining. I'll keep doing high bar for now but I'll definitely throw in some low bar technique work at the end of most sessions so that I can get more comfortable with them and eventually make the switch.

Comment

I'm high bar myself, can't get comfy on low bar. More concerned with gettign to 100kg for 8, 120 max before i try to switch.

Cleans are something I'd like to improve on. Purely technique. I don't get low enough and they all end up being too light on leg work. I could go 12" lower and still be a power clean

Comment

Week 2 Day 2 (Recovery)
                                      Warm-up: usual

Front Squat
                                      Bar x 2 x 5
                                      50 x 5
                                      70 x 4
                                      90 x 3
                                      *wrist wraps on*
                                      110 x 2
                                      125 x 1
                                      135 x 3 x 3 *PB*

Military Press
                                      Bar x 2 x 5
                                      40 x 4
                                      50 x 3
                                      60 x 3 x 3

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                      50 x 3
                                      75 x 3 x 3

Face pulls supersetted with rotator cuff work (cable)
                                      38.75 x 3 x 15 with 11.25 x 3 x 12

Lying Leg Curl
                                      20 x 3 x 12

Low Bar Squat Technique Work
                                      Getting into the correct postion x 5
                                      40 x 3 x 3

Warm-down: usual

Front squats were grand. Much better than last week. I was able to keep my elbows up more.

Not much to say. Everything else is just recovery work.

Comment

And so the day of my 1 rep max PBs has come....

I look forward to and dread this day in equal measure. The nervous excitement is killing me here. If all goes to plan I should be reporting back with 3 vids of the following:

Squat: 190
                                        Bench: 110
                                        Deadlift: 210

This is gonna be greaaaaaat!

Comment

Week 2 Day 3 (Intensity)

Squat
                                          Bar x 2 x 5
                                          60 x 5
                                          80 x 4
                                          100 x 3
                                          120 x 2
                                          140 x 1
                                          160 x 1
                                          180 x 1
                                          190 x 1 *PB*

Bench Press
                                          Bar x 2 x 5
                                          60 x 5
                                          70 x 4
                                          80 x 3
                                          90 x 2
                                          *wrist wraps on*
                                          100 x 1
                                          110 x 1 *PB*

Deadlift
                                          Bar x 2 x 5
                                          50 x 5
                                          70 x 4
                                          100 x 3
                                          120 x 2
                                          140 x 1
                                          *belt on*
                                          160 x 1
                                          180 x 1
                                          195 x 1
                                          210 x 1 *PB*

Ship it! Vids to follow...

Comment

Ended up playing a game of cat and mouse with my camera. I turned it on and the battery was low. Thankfully, all three videos made it through unscathed.

[ame]http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=uk_nJEg7Eyc&feature=channel[/ame]

Really happy with this. I went seriously low there! I'll have to try to squat a bit higher. Good problem to have though.

*WARNING: THE FOLLOWING VID CONTAINS A GRATUITOUS CROTCH SHOT*

[ame]http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=UpIBSYC0bGs&feature=channel[/ame]

My sincerest apologies. T'was my first time taping my bench press. I'll get a much better angle next time. Anyway, no problems with the press. Plenty more in the tank. Kinda felt embarassed afterwards having asked for a spot.

[ame]http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=CN4k8lK5VOA&feature=channel[/ame]

Lol. I looked at the camera to make sure the battery was still alive. Happy with the lift. I had to lean against the squat rack afterwards because I was seeing stars. One of my ears popped too.

Ecstatic with this week. Hopefully I can keep going in the same manner.

Comment

Super stuff Lurker, great form on the squat and the deadlift...best saying nothing about the bench shot

Comment

Well done, I think you'll hit the new goals before Xmas, I'd say aim for Halloween

Comment

Week 3 Day 1 (Volume)

Squat
                                                  Bar x 2 x 5
                                                  60 x 5
                                                  80 x 4
                                                  100 x 3
                                                  120 x 2
                                                  140 x 1
                                                  160 x 1
                                                  170 x 5 x 5 *PB*

Military Press
                                                  Bar x 2 x 5
                                                  40 x 3
                                                  52.5 x 1
                                                  62.5 x 5,5,5,4,5 *PB*

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                                  60 x 5
                                                  80 x 5 x 5 *PB*

Good Mornings
                                                  80 x 3 x 12 *PB*

Chins supersetted with Dips
                                                  BW + 12kg x 3 x 5 with BW + 16kg x 3 x 5 *PB*

Lying Leg Curl
                                                  22.5 x 12, 10L + 12R

Warm-down: gym closing so will stretch out at home

Squats were so so soooo unbelievably tough. 50 minutes of pure torture. It was more mental than physical. I knew I could do it but had to try and convince my brain to actually get under the bar. It was like "wtf are you doing?" The thoughts of another 4 sets after the first one was just horrible. A gym friend was nice enough to shout words of encouragement at me during the final 3 sets. Helped a great deal. He also checked my depth.

I think I've pretty much reached my peak with the 5x5 squats for now. I may try 175 5x5 next week or else do some 20 reppers instead for a few weeks i.e something like 130 x 20 which is probably guaranteed pukage.

Military Press was much better than week 1. Just the one rep missed. Thanks to gym friend again who distracted me (more likely the other way round tbf!) for enough time after my fourth set to enable me to get all 5 reps on the final set.

Barbell row was ok. 1st set form was a bit sloppy but managed to correct it.

At this stage, I just wanted to go home but it's a volume day. The assistance work needs to be done. Chuffed that I got all prescribed GM and chin reps plus the dips were easy peasy. I called it a day after second set of leg curls since my left leg couldn't keep up with my right.

Thank god that session is over. Starting to dread volume days. Pretty much everything hurts atm.

Comment

Week 3 Day 2 (Recovery)

Front Squat
                                                    Bar x 2 x 5
                                                    50 x 5
                                                    70 x 4
                                                    90 x 3
                                                    *wrist wraps on*
                                                    110 x 2
                                                    125 x 1
                                                    140 x 3,2
                                                    120 x 3

Bench Press
                                                    Bar x 2 x 5
                                                    60 x 4
                                                    70 x 3
                                                    80 x 2
                                                    90 x 1
                                                    *wrist wraps on*
                                                    97.5 x 3 x 3 *paused*

Power Cleans
                                                    50 x 5
                                                    75 x 3 x 3

Warm-down: stretching done at home

The bar rolled forward on the last rep of my 2nd set of 140 front squats. I had to let it drop or else lose my wrists. The main thing with the recovery day is to get the reps in so I decided to drop the weight a tad for the last set. I'll try 140 again next week.

Bench press was nice and strong. Starting to come along splendidly.

PCs were rushed but fine. Gym was closing yet again. Thus, I didn't get the chance to do my usual assistance work. No biggie. The main 3 exercises were done and that's the most important thing.

I keep forgetting to post up body measurements. I'll do them next Wednesday because I dont want them skewed from pumps on the day or day after a workout.

Comment

Week 3 Day 3 (Intensity)

Squat
                                                      Bar x 2 x 5
                                                      50 x 5
                                                      70 x 4
                                                      100 x 3
                                                      120 x 2
                                                      140 x 1
                                                      160 x 1
                                                      175 x 1
                                                      185 x 2 x TWANG *PB*

Military Press
                                                      Bar x 2 x 5
                                                      40 x 4
                                                      50 x 2
                                                      60 x 3
                                                      67.5 x 1
                                                      75 x 2 *PB*

Deadlift
                                                      Bar x 2 x 5
                                                      70 x 5
                                                      90 x 4
                                                      110 x 3
                                                      130 x 2
                                                      150 x 1
                                                      *belt on*
                                                      170 x 1
                                                      STOPPED

Back Extension Machine
                                                      BW x 3 x 12

Ugh. Have a mild strain on the left side of my lower back. Felt it go on the second rep of heavy squats. Didn't feel as if there was anything wrong with my form. Felt solid. Really annoyed.

It didn't affect my Military Press. Nice PB there.

Warmed up on the deadlift and felt the strain on 170. Not worth the risk of getting a worse injury in return for a PB.

I started the rehab immediately with some back extensions. Will do some hot / cold therapy later. May have to take a week off or will end up just doing a deload. Depends on how it feels later in the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post

I keep forgetting to post up body measurements. I'll do them next Wednesday because I dont want them skewed from pumps on the day or day after a workout.
                                                        Better late than never.

Body Measurements (inches)

neck - 15.25

biceps - 15.75 l 16 r

forearms - 12.25 l 12.75 r

wrists - 7.1 l 7.25 r

waist - 36.5

hips - 41

thighs - 26.25 l 26.75 r

calves - 16 l 16.25 r

ankles - 9.5 l 9.8 r

Forearms measured with arms straight out. Biceps flexed. Everything else at the widest point.

Think it's time I reigned in my waist a bit. Will tighten up the diet and do some cardio

Might as well seeing as I wont be able to do heavy lifting for a lil' while. Will prob head to the gym tomorrow to do some beach exercises and maybe some cardio. I'm dreading it tbh. Haven't went to the gym and not squatted for at least 4 years. Everytime you go to the gym and don't squat an angel loses its wings

Comment

Week 4 Day 1 (A bit of everything until my back is fixed)

Warm-up: Usual

Squat
                                                          Bar x 10
                                                          STOPPED

Bench
                                                          Bar x 2 x 5
                                                          60 x 4
                                                          70 x 3
                                                          80 x 2
                                                          90 x 1
                                                          100 x 5 x 5 *PB*

Chins
                                                          BW + 14kg x 5,5,3

Tricep and Bicep Fest 2010
                                                          EZ curl close grip bench: 70 x 15,10,10, 80 x 8 , 70 x 8
                                                          Bench Dips: BW x 15, BW+20kg x 15, BW + 40 kg x 10,10, 8
                                                          Rope pulldowns, kickbacks, Straight bar pulldowns x I cant remember

Wide grip cable bicep curls: 36kg x 12,8,6
                                                          Close grip cable bicep curls: 41kg x 8, 5, 20kg x 10,10
                                                          Some more curl variations x I cant remember

Hack Squat Machine
                                                          40 x 12
                                                          80 x 8
                                                          120 x 8
                                                          160 x 8
                                                          200 x 8
                                                          240 x 8

Warm down: will do at home

Just tried a squat at the start to see how the back is. Feels a bit better but not ready yet.

Happy with the bench pb. Felt pretty easy. Prob because I usually squat beforehand. Got some tommy kono elbow sleeves since I suffer with some tendonitis in my elbows - numb/locked fingers, etc. First time using them. Felt good.

The chins were really hard. I do them from a dead hang. The extra 2kg from last time really made a big difference.

One of the lads from the gym told me he was doing his biceps and triceps today so I said I'd train with him. Dude does every variation of bi's and tri's known to man. Arms are hanging off me now. Not used to counting past 5 on reps. My arms didn't know wtf was happening! T'was funny to do it for a change.

Hack Squat machine is hilarious. Basically a hips sled. I could easily have worked up to 400kg. Joke of an exercise tbh.

I miss real squats already...

Comment

Nice log man and good numbers too. Where are you training, those irish lifting plates are decent (ie the weight is roughly accurate) but the bars are shit (i've bent a few dl'ing).

Couple of thing on the squats:
                                                            -You are stepping way back when you unrack. There is really no need, you are basically making extra work for yourself.
                                                            -Get a spotter
                                                            -You need to tighten up your elbows, thats part of why the bar is rolling forward on the up and its probably making you rock forward on to your toes too.
                                                            -I hate the bar position..but thats a personal choice for everyone

Comment

Hack Squat machine is hilarious. Basically a hips sled. I could easily have worked up to 400kg. Joke of an exercise tbh.
                                                              It really is. The machine takes half the poxy load.
                                                              Always funny to see bigish guys strutting around after squating 300 on the hack, but they don't go near an actually squat rack.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                Nice log man and good numbers too. Where are you training, those irish lifting plates are decent (ie the weight is roughly accurate) but the bars are shit (i've bent a few dl'ing).

Couple of thing on the squats:
                                                                -You are stepping way back when you unrack. There is really no need, you are basically making extra work for yourself.
                                                                -Get a spotter
                                                                -You need to tighten up your elbows, thats part of why the bar is rolling forward on the up and its probably making you rock forward on to your toes too.
                                                                -I hate the bar position..but thats a personal choice for everyone
                                                                Cheers and thanks for the advice. I'm in Ballymun Leisure Centre. Agreed that the bars are shit.

Could you go into a bit more detail on the tightening of the elbows? I try to get them under the bar as much as possible for high bar squats.

I also hate the bar position tbh! I've been working on low bar technique. Any tips?

Edit: Just after watching my squat vid again. I can see that my elbows loosen up coming out of the hole. I presume that's what you mean.
                                                                Last edited by Lurker23; 27-09-10, 01:18.

Comment

Cheers and thanks for the advice. I'm in Ballymun Leisure Centre. Agreed that the bars are shit.

Could you go into a bit more detail on the tightening of the elbows? I try to get them under the bar as much as possible for high bar squats.

I also hate the bar position tbh! I've been working on low bar technique. Any tips?

Edit: Just after watching my squat vid again. I can see that my elbows loosen up coming out of the hole. I presume that's what you mean.
                                                                  Thats exactly what i mean. Tightening them up is hard to describe, i'll try to find a video which shows what i mean.

I like the Ballymun gym (i'm responsable for bending a few of the bars there), myself and a mate used to rain there before IP opened up. Are there still tonnes of guys doing biceps curls in the mirrors? I must pop up again soon.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hmjm4CUak&feature=related[/ame]
                                                                  Ok, ignore the lift and the weight here. The setup is good, nice bar position and good elbows...maybe tighten them a little more but they are still pretty good. He steps back a mile, just like you, which is silly when you're lifting a heavy weight. Also, look at his hands, they are pinching the weight into his back (keep the thumbs on the outside)..this is good.

Try this technique with an easy 100kg on the bar (60 or so is pointless because there's no weight)
                                                                  Last edited by TomD; 27-09-10, 22:43.

Comment

I like the Ballymun gym (i'm responsable for bending a few of the bars there), myself and a mate used to rain there before IP opened up.
                                                                    I'd love to join IP when I have a bit more money. Such good value. I've been following Will's blog since the beginning. The guy's a fountain of knowledge.

I remember your log on the other place. Corn beef and cabbage wasn't it? You have some really good numbers yourself! Still making lots of progress? You should start a log here.

Are there still tonnes of guys doing biceps curls in the mirrors?
                                                                    Of course

Comment

Right. Been around 10 days since I worked out. I've been doing the Texas Method for around 2 months so was due a deload anyway. My back still isn't right but it's better than it was. Should be fine to squat and dead in 1-2 weeks.

So, taking that into account, I've decided I'm going on a cut for the next 4 weeks starting today. Low low carb. <100g anyway. Will get my protein mainly from shakes coz I'm a lazy git. Prob 1-2 meals of real food with a good bit of veg and 2 shakes + a handful of almonds as a snack. Also, plenty of fish oils, vits, glucosamine and my usual post workout shake combo of 20g glutamine + 2 scoops of protein. I'll add in a few teaspoons of glycine too due to being low carb. Will prob keep the creatine pre workout and I haven't decided whether to ditch my pre workout energy drink yet. Might need the caffeine

I'll also change my lifting routine to something more bodybuilding-esque. Highish reps (8-12) with short rest periods. Haven't decided on the routine yet. Will do that later. It'll be tough with low carbs and I expect my strength to marginally decline but it's better than doing nothing. I could do with losing a few inches off my waist anyway so now's the perfect time to tackle the problem. Will be doing a good bit of cardio too.

Awwww here it goes:

Low Carb Diet Week 1 Day 1
                                                                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                      Cardio

3 rounds of:

Skipping
                                                                      60 secs + 30 secs rest x 3

Shadow Boxing
                                                                      60 secs + 30 secs rest

Finished with:

Skipping
                                                                      90 secs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Averaged between 105-115 reps for each 60 secs of skipping. Just stuck the shadow boxing in for a bit of recovery. Leaking like a tap by the end of the session

Comment

I'd love to join IP when I have a bit more money. Such good value. I've been following Will's blog since the beginning. The guy's a fountain of knowledge.

I remember your log on the other place. Corn beef and cabbage wasn't it? You have some really good numbers yourself! Still making lots of progress? You should start a log here.
                                                                        Yeah Will is an evil bastard when it comes to designing conditioining sessions
                                                                        I might create a log here, still making gains but concentrating more on BJJ than anything else tbh.

Right. Been around 10 days since I worked out. I've been doing the Texas Method for around 2 months so was due a deload anyway. My back still isn't right but it's better than it was. Should be fine to squat and dead in 1-2 weeks.

So, taking that into account, I've decided I'm going on a cut for the next 4 weeks starting today. Low low carb. <100g anyway. Will get my protein mainly from shakes coz I'm a lazy git. Prob 1-2 meals of real food with a good bit of veg and 2 shakes + a handful of almonds as a snack. Also, plenty of fish oils, vits, glucosamine and my usual post workout shake combo of 20g glutamine + 2 scoops of protein. I'll add in a few teaspoons of glycine too due to being low carb. Will prob keep the creatine pre workout and I haven't decided whether to ditch my pre workout energy drink yet. Might need the caffeine

I'll also change my lifting routine to something more bodybuilding-esque. Highish reps (8-12) with short rest periods. Haven't decided on the routine yet. Will do that later. It'll be tough with low carbs and I expect my strength to marginally decline but it's better than doing nothing. I could do with losing a few inches off my waist anyway so now's the perfect time to tackle the problem. Will be doing a good bit of cardio too.

Awwww here it goes:

Low Carb Diet Week 1 Day 1
                                                                        Cardio

3 rounds of:

Skipping
                                                                        60 secs + 30 secs rest x 3

Shadow Boxing
                                                                        60 secs + 30 secs rest

Finished with:

Skipping
                                                                        90 secs

Averaged between 105-115 reps for each 60 secs of skipping. Just stuck the shadow boxing in for a bit of recovery. Leaking like a tap by the end of the session
                                                                        Ghey

Comment

Yeah Will is an evil bastard when it comes to designing conditioining sessions
                                                                          Haha. I'd like to experience "prowler flu".

Ghey
                                                                          Don't I feckin know it

Comment

Low Carb Diet Week 1 Day 2

Weights - Chest and Back

*Superset A*

Bench Press
                                                                            Bar x 2 x 5
                                                                            40 x 5
                                                                            60 x 3
                                                                            70 x 2
                                                                            85 x 4 x 8

Inverted Row
                                                                            BW x 12,12,12,10

*Superset B*

Incline Dumbell Press
                                                                            26 x 4 x 8

Chins
                                                                            BW x 5 = lol

replaced with

Close Grip Lat Pulldown
                                                                            75 x 3 x 8

*Superset C*

Incline Dumbell Flyes
                                                                            12 x 4 x 10

T-Bar Row
                                                                            60 x 12,10,9,7

*Superset D*

Cable L's
                                                                            6.75 x 3 x 8

Back Extension
                                                                            BW x 3 x 12

Cardio

X-trainer
                                                                            30 mins @ Lv 8 + 5 min cool down = 5 mins forwards + 5 backwards + 2 30 sec sprints both ways at the end with 30 secs rest in between

Tired now. Chins were too difficult after inverted rows. First time doing IR's and boy they were tough. Not used to dumbells at all. My wrists went numb towards the end of the workout.

Still dont like cardio

Comment

#39
                                                                              Low Carb Diet Week 1 Day 3
                                                                              Cardio

Walked around town at a brisk pace for about 90 mins.

Note to self: Do not go into the M&S food section when on a diet.

I also managed to see a 10ft banner offering an all you can eat chinese buffet for €6.95. FML. Low carb headaches are starting to kick in also.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Low Carb Diet Week 1 Day 4

Weights - Bi's and Tri's

*Superset A*

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                Bar x 2 x 5
                                                                                40 x 1 x 8
                                                                                60 x 1 x 12
                                                                                65 x 3 x 12

Standing Barbell Curl
                                                                                30 x 12,12,10,10

*Superset B*

Skullcrushers
                                                                                EZ curl bar + 20kg x 4 x 12

Standing Dumbell Hammer Curl
                                                                                12 x 12,11,10,9

*Superset C*

Rope Pulldown
                                                                                27 x 4 x 10

Dumbell Preacher Curl
                                                                                10 x 12,11,8,7

Cardio

X-trainer
                                                                                30 mins @ Lv 9 on random + 5 min cool down = 5 mins forwards + 5 backwards + 2 30 sec sprints both ways at the end with 30 secs rest in between

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZN4HOoIIfo[/ame]

^ Pretty much sums up perfectly how I feel about that session. ^

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Low Carb Diet Week 2 Day 1

Weights - Legs and Shoulders

*Superset A*

Barbell Lunges (reps each leg)
                                                                                  Bar x 1 x 6
                                                                                  40 x 1 x 8
                                                                                  60 x 1 x 8
                                                                                  70 x 3 x 8

Military Press
                                                                                  Bar x 1 x 10
                                                                                  40 x 1 x 8
                                                                                  50 x 4 x 8

*Superset B*

Bulgarian Split Squats (reps each leg)
                                                                                  18 x 1 x 8
                                                                                  14 x 3 x 8

Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press
                                                                                  18 x 4 x 8

Lying Leg Curl
                                                                                  20 x 3 x 8

First time doing barbell lunges and split squats. Serious glute doms.

Couldn't superset the leg curl as I was gonna puke if I got up off the machine.

Left it at that as I had nothing left. Low carb headaches have gone. Lack of energy pretty standard now.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Low Carb Diet Week 2 Day 3

Weights - Chest and Back

*Superset A*

Dumbell Bench Press
                                                                                    15 x 8
                                                                                    30 x 5
                                                                                    36 x 8,8,8,6

Inverted Row
                                                                                    BW x 12,12,10,10

*Superset B*

Incline Barbell Press
                                                                                    Bar x 5
                                                                                    40 x 5
                                                                                    65 x 3 x 8
                                                                                    60 x 8

Close Grip Lat Pulldown
                                                                                    85 x 3 x 8
                                                                                    75 x 8

*Superset C*

Flat Bench Dumbell Flyes
                                                                                    14 x 4 x 10

T-Bar Row
                                                                                    60 x 8,8,7,7

*Superset D*

Cable L's
                                                                                    8.25 x 3 x 8

Back Extension Machine
                                                                                    BW x 3 x 12

Did a good bit of cardio in terms of outdoor work today so no need to do any in the gym. I had to lower the weight on some of the final sets as the strength isn't there. Taking about 2 mins in between supersets.

Would love a chinese right now...Would settle for two 12" pizzas (and taco fries)

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Low Carb Diet Week 2 Day 6
                                                                                      Cardio

10 rounds of

Skipping
                                                                                      100 reps + 30 secs rest

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Low Carb Diet Week 3 Day 1

Weights - Bi's and Tri's

*Superset A*

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                        Bar x 2 x 5
                                                                                        40 x 1 x 5
                                                                                        55 x 1 x 3
                                                                                        70 x 4 x 12

Standing Barbell Curl
                                                                                        30 x 4 x 12

*Superset B*

Skullcrushers
                                                                                        EZ curl bar + 22.5kg x 4 x 12

12 x 12,10,8,10

*Superset C*

Rope Pulldown
                                                                                        27 x 1 x 12
                                                                                        41 x 1 x 12
                                                                                        48 x 3 x 12

Dumbell Preacher Curl
                                                                                        10 x 4 x 12

Cardio

X-trainer
                                                                                        30 mins @ Lv 10 on random + 5 min cool down = 30 mins forward this time + 3 30 sec sprints both ways at the end with 30 secs rest in between

I'm having a carb up tomorrow for my own sanity. It's weird the effect that low carb can have on you. Your whole mentality changes. In other words, I'm moody and emotional like a teenage girl from the 90s who just got told Take That broke up.

I'll then do another 2 weeks of low carb and see how I feel. I've lost 1.5 inches off my waist so far. Happy enough with that.

In other news, my gym membership was up last week. I'd like to thank the Pittsburgh Steelers -11.5 and the Indianapolis Colts -2.5 for paying my yearly membership by beating the spread last night. Two epic sweats for me. Also, a big thanks to Peyton Manning for passing over 295.5 yards

/aftertiming

Comment

#45
                                                                                          So my one day carb up lasted a bit longer than expected. I had a monster carb up last Tuesday and moderate carbs for the rest of the week with another big carb day last Sunday. The second one wasn't planned.

Starting another 2 week low carb phase today. Waist currently at 35.5 inches. Hope it will be 34.5 at most by the end of this phase. I plan on doing 2 weeks on and 1 week off with a carb up and moderate carbs for the rest of the off week.

I'm obv not enjoying the workouts seeing as I've missed a few but will persevere with it. Really missing squats and deads. Will do a session tomorrow. Couldn't go yesterday because the gym was closed and I'm stuck at home today due to work getting done in the house.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Low Carb Diet Phase 2 Day 2

Weights - Legs and Shoulders

*Superset A*

Barbell Lunges (reps each leg)
                                                                                            Bar x 1 x 5
                                                                                            40 x 1 x 8
                                                                                            60 x 1 x 5
                                                                                            75 x 4 x 8

Military Press
                                                                                            Bar x 1 x 10
                                                                                            40 x 1 x 8
                                                                                            52.5 x 4 x 8

*Superset B*

Bulgarian Split Squats (reps each leg)
                                                                                            15 x 3 x 8

Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press

20 x 2 x 8

*supersetted with*
                                                                                            projectile vomiting x 5 reps

2 min break followed by finishing the two exercises for 4 x 8

Lying Leg Curl
                                                                                            22.5 x 1 x 8 (r) and 22.5 x 1 x 4(l) - top of left calf seizes up wtf?

gym tilt

Cardio

X-trainer - 30 mins going forwards on random setting at Lv11 with one 30sec sprint at the end plus 5 min cooldown.

Well I felt sick doing legs and shoulders last time and took it a step further today. I was dead after the first superset tbh. Got to the 3rd set of dumbell shoulder press and knew what was going to happen. Made it to the toilet at least. Lost a protein shake though Everyone could hear me in the dressing rooms. Sounded like I was puking up a lung

Felt great afterwards so carried on. Leg curl was a joke when my leg start seizing up. I was gonna superset it with lateral raises but got tilted after this. Cardio was fine.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Low Carb Diet Phase 2 Day 4

Weights - Chest and Back

*Superset A*

Bench Press
                                                                                              Bar x 2 x 5
                                                                                              40 x 5
                                                                                              60 x 3
                                                                                              75 x 2
                                                                                              90 x 8,8,6,5

Inverted Row
                                                                                              BW x 12,12,10,6+4

*Superset B*

Incline Dumbell Press
                                                                                              28 x 8,8,7,7

Close Grip Lat Pulldown
                                                                                              90 x 8,8,7
                                                                                              80 x 8

*Superset C*

Incline Dumbell Flyes
                                                                                              12 x 4 x 10

T-Bar Row
                                                                                              60 x 4 x 8

*Superset D*

Cable L's
                                                                                              6.75 x 3 x 10

Back Extension
                                                                                              BW x 3 x 12

Cardio

X-trainer
                                                                                              30 mins going forwards @ Lv 12 + 5 min cool down. Two 30 sec sprints at the end with 30 secs rest in between.

Came close to puking again today. Think I'm allergic to dieting and high reps.

I seem to be making backwards progression on the inverted rows. Not nice. Lack of energy is rearing it's ugly head again.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Cheers and thanks for the advice. I'm in Ballymun Leisure Centre.
                                                                                                How do you find it? Not sure If I should join that one since it's closer or the dcu one.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by phantom_lord View Post
                                                                                                  How do you find it? Not sure If I should join that one since it's closer or the dcu one.
                                                                                                  No comparison between it and dcu. I was in the dcu gym for 4 years and moved to the ballymun one 2 years ago. Much happier there. Unbelievable value. So many squat racks and free weights. Plenty of machine weights and cardio equipment if you're into that kinda thing. The only thing I don't like is there's no heart rate monitor on the cardio equip and only one rower. I haven't used the pool so I can't comment on that. That's the one area I loved about dcu.

Let's just say I had a disagreement in the dcu one. They wouldn't let me squat in it anymore and put up a sign saying that nobody could free squat I've been in the elite gym a few times and it's good but access is reserved for "athletes" but you prob already know this.

Oh and btw I'm renewing my membership in the next week or so. It's €300 for one or €500 for two people so if you wanna join send me a PM. You can try the gym out yourself for €7.

Comment

#50

Let's just say I had a disagreement in the dcu one. They wouldn't let me squat in it anymore and put up a sign saying that nobody could free squat
                                                                                                    No squats? What was the reasoning there?

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      No squats? What was the reasoning there?
                                                                                                      No squat rack. I'd been using a bench rack and waddling out over the bench. Squatting whatever and then doing a 180 turn to put it back. Nuts I know. I put it down to the fact I was young.

I can understand the issue but I wouldn't have had to do it if they had a rack instead of the smith machine coat stand in the corner. Prob why they let me in the elite gym for the rest my membership.

Sure you'd get mad looks off the members when you'd be deadlifting 140 ffs. They'd think you were Hercules or something! Oh and I had to be a phantom chalker when I was in dcu too. The situation <insert jersey shore gif here> still touches a nerve tbh.

Let's just say squats became a lot easier when I moved gyms

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Low Carb Diet Phase 2 Day 10

Weights - Bi's and Tri's

*Superset A*

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                                        Bar x 2 x 5
                                                                                                        40 x 1 x 5
                                                                                                        55 x 1 x 3
                                                                                                        75 x 12,12,8,6

Standing Barbell Curl
                                                                                                        30 x 12
                                                                                                        32.5 x 3 x 12

*Superset B*

Skullcrushers
                                                                                                        EZ curl bar + 22.5kg x 4 x 12

12 x 4 x 12

*Superset C*

Rope Pulldown
                                                                                                        48 x 4 x 12

Dumbell Preacher Curl
                                                                                                        10 x 4 x 12

Cardio

X-trainer
                                                                                                        35 mins @ Lv 13 on random + 5 min cool down = 33 mins forward + two 30 sec forward sprints with 40 secs rest in between.

Decent session. Have missed a few days training just through boredom with the program. Diet is going well 95% of the time. I've had one or two slip ups but nothing major.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          I've had to use a gym with no rack recently, went with hack squats and power cleaned front squats.
                                                                                                          Have you seen the steinborn lift? Wouldn't fancy that tbh,

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Yeah that steinborn lift looks seriously dodgy. Hopefully I'll never be in the position of having to try it. The cleaned front squats are defo a good sub if there's no rack available.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              End of phase 2
                                                                                                              ---------------------------------------

Lost another .5 inch of my waist. Pretty crap to be honest. I didn't do enough gym sessions. Diet got a bit messy towards the end too.

Hate to sound like a broken record but this type of training really doesn't appeal to me. It could be the simple fact that I'm not getting enough compound work. Still haven't renewed my membership and paying €7 for a bicep and tricep session really grinds my gears. I can't express how badly I want to get back to strength training but my back is still being a little bitch. Gonna rest it totally this week. Prob should get it looked at. Also really missing the physicality and camaraderie of american football quite badly too.

I'll eat normal (whatever that is) for the rest of the week and do one more low carb phase with 100% effort. Next update will be Monday.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                End of phase 2
                                                                                                                ---------------------------------------

Lost another .5 inch of my waist. Pretty crap to be honest. I didn't do enough gym sessions. Diet got a bit messy towards the end too.

Hate to sound like a broken record but this type of training really doesn't appeal to me. It could be the simple fact that I'm not getting enough compound work. Still haven't renewed my membership and paying €7 for a bicep and tricep session really grinds my gears. I can't express how badly I want to get back to strength training but my back is still being a little bitch. Gonna rest it totally this week. Prob should get it looked at. Also really missing the physicality and camaraderie of american football quite badly too.

I'll eat normal (whatever that is) for the rest of the week and do one more low carb phase with 100% effort. Next update will be Monday.
                                                                                                                I would get the back looked at given the weights you were lifting you could have easily torn/strained muscles. That diet sounds like the pits.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Give us a sample day of your diet? I'm pretty much in keto at the moment too, just doing a comparison, as I get very bored with what I've been eating.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                                                                                                                    I would get the back looked at given the weights you were lifting you could have easily torn/strained muscles. That diet sounds like the pits.
                                                                                                                    Yeah I'll get something sorted out. I've actually never seen a physio ever lol.

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                    Give us a sample day of your diet? I'm pretty much in keto at the moment too, just doing a comparison, as I get very bored with what I've been eating.
                                                                                                                    Well tust me, you won't get much variety here.
                                                                                                                    ------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                                                    M1: Porridge with 2 scoops protein or a 5-6 egg omelette
                                                                                                                    M2: a shake plus a tablespoon of meridian PB
                                                                                                                    M3: Can of tuna or some almonds or M2
                                                                                                                    M4: M2 with optional PB
                                                                                                                    M5: Fish or chicken breast (possibly 2) + veggies
                                                                                                                    M6: M2 with optional PB
                                                                                                                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other stuff (if I remember): about 9-12 fish oil tabs, vit tabs, glucosamine tabs. Lots of water and trips to the bathroom

Stuff on gym days: 10-20g creatine mono preworkout + a preworkout energy supplement (pulse) on the chest/back and legs/shoulders days. Another shake postworkout with 20g glutamine and about two teaspoons of glycine. That shake would replace one of the other meals above.

Might treat myself to a sandwich at some stage during the week when my morale gets low. I'm not sure of the breakdown of protein/carbs/fats. I did it a good few years ago when I first tried a cut but just having a general gist of what I need to do now is good enough for me.

I'm a much bigger fan of my powerlifting diet
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Lurker23; 11-11-10, 00:37.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Thats loads of carbs!

Have you an iphone? iPod touch?

Mynetdiary is a seriously good app that tracks your food and lets you know the macros of what you've been eating. I'm below 20g of carbs a day, its pretty tough going for the first bit, but you get used to it. At least the food is tasty. Very few snack foods with low carbs though

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                        Thats loads of carbs!

Have you an iphone? iPod touch?

Mynetdiary is a seriously good app that tracks your food and lets you know the macros of what you've been eating. I'm below 20g of carbs a day, its pretty tough going for the first bit, but you get used to it. At least the food is tasty. Very few snack foods with low carbs though
                                                                                                                        Seriously? Have neither of those apple thingys.

Bloody hell @ 20g a day. Post me up a sample diet for you then please.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X