120 x 3
    <belt and wrist wraps on>
    140 x 3
    160 x 2
    180 x 1
    192.5 x 1
    205 x 4,2,2

-------------------------------------------

I was in Bali the past 2 weeks so no training for that period.

Went through 17 hours of flights yesterday so the mind was very hazy today. Difficult to squat but had to get a session in after work as the comp is in 2 weeks.

Amazed I got 4 on the first set. That's what I'd expect on a good day. Last two reps were a complete grind. I had no right even attempting the 4th rep but just said fuck it and dug deep as I wanted it so bad. Very happy.

Comment

Tuesday 26th April
      ------------------------------------------------

Competition Grip Bench With Pause
      40 x 6
      60 x 5
      80 x 4
      100 x 3
      110 x 2
      120 x 1
      125 x 4,4,3,2

-------------------------------------------

Happy enough. Should put me on 140 or so.

Comment

Thursday 28th April

Deadlift
        70 x 5
        100 x 4
        120 x 3
        140 x 3
        160 x 2
        180 x 1
        200 x 1
        215 x 1
        225 x fail, fail

Mehness. My groins were still in ribbons from the squats on Monday. Literally couldn't get into a proper deadlift stance. Ended up stiff-legged deadlifting 215 and then failing on 225.

Not to worry. I know I can get 3 on 225 when fresh.

The plan is to do my openers on the three lifts on Saturday and then go light on Tues or Wed to keep proficient in the lifts before the comp next weekend.

Comment

Saturday 30th April

Worked up to 200 on squat, 130 on bench and 225 on deadlift. Nothing felt good especially squats as my hammies were about 80% recovered from the workouts during the week.

It is what it is.

Comment

Wednesday 4th May

110 on the squat for a triple, double and single. 72.5 on the bench for 3x3. 110 on the deads for 3x3.

I've hurt my right hip. Painful to squat. Feels like I need to do some hip mobility and activation exercises. Hopefully it clears up by Sunday with some tlc.

Great timing.

Comment

Brutal timing but fingers crossed it will come right. Best of luck at the weekend.

Comment

ugh, typical timing

Comment

Weighed in at 99.25kg this morning so just the 750g to play with

Not due to start lifting until 4.30pm or so going by the provisional times. Sleep and lots of food until then.

Hip feels ok but I wont really know until I start warming up.

Comment

4th in my category with a 220 squat, 137.5 bench and 235 deadlift. Overall total of 592.5. Quite happy with that.

Proper writeup in the next few days.

Comment

Sunday 8th May - IDFPA Full Power National Championships - The Red Cow Moran Hotel
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up early that morning to travel to the Red Cow for the 7am weigh in. Got there a bit early and things were pretty well organised. Weighed in at 99.25kg and got out of there asap to get some more rest.

I couldn't really sleep due to excitement but probably drifted off for an hour or two. I got back to the venue about 3pm with a provisional lifting time of 4.30pm. Lucky I arrived when I did as the comp was running ahead of schedule and my flight was starting in around 40 mins.

The warm up room was hectic. It didn't help that it was 24 degrees outside. The worst possible weather for powerlifting!

My hip felt ok in the squat warmups. Probably working at around 90% power. Worked up to 200 which felt a bit heavy for that weight.

Attempts went like this:

(1) 210kg: 3 white lights - good lift. No problems here. Routine lift.

(2) 220kg: 1 white light and 2 reds - no lift. My hip got the best of me here. You'll see on the video that my right knee came in about 2/3rds of the way up due to hip pain. The bar dropped slightly and that's no lift.

(3) 220kg: 3 white lights - good lift. I got kicked forward but managed to recover and control the hip a bitter than on the last attempt. My hip was very sore at this stage.

We had about another 40 mins before the bench openers. I had a bite to eat and worked up to 125kg as my final warm up.

Attempts went like this:

(1) 132.5kg: 3 white lights. Felt easy.

(2) 137.5kg: 3 white lights. A bit of a grind though.

(3) 140kg: 3 red lights. I got it off the chest but not much further.

Another 40 mins before the deadlift openers. Worked up to about 215kg. I felt dizzy and lightheaded after it. I reduced my opener from 225kg to 220kg.

Attempts went like this:

(1) 220kg: 3 white lights. Felt very easy. The bar felt great to deadlift with.

(2) 235kg: 3 white lights. Tough at the lockout but easy everywhere else.

(3) 250kg: 3 red lights. Surprisingly fast off the floor but just couldn't lock it out. Unfortunately I let my shoulders round on this one and my clavicle didn't enjoy it. It's only really getting back to normal today.

As I said last week, I was happy with the outcome. It wasn't the best prep and I did well to fight through the hip injury for a half decent squat.

6/9 lifts in 100kg category @ 99.25kgSquat: 210 / 220x / 220Bench: 132.5 / 137.5 / 140xDeadlift: 220 / 235 / 250Wilks Score - 329.43

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

And now the bad news.... I'm out of the Squat World Championships in June. I went down last Tuesday to start Smolov Jr for squat (3 week program) in order to prep for it. I got through 155 6x6 but it was a very painful experience.

I then went down last Thurs to do 165 7x5. I worked up to the first set but my knee started to cave in again like on the second squat on the video. I had to stop and I pretty much knew at that point I needed to back off.

Paid a visit to the physio today and he told me I need a MRI on my lower back. I've poor ankle and hip mobility that's putting pressure on my lower back in the squat. I can work on that no problem. It's the MRI that's worrying. Hopefully it comes back with not too much damage.

The physio loosened out my back and hip. Feels much better. No squatting for the next while until the damage is assessed. I'll still head over to worlds anyhow as the flights and hotel are paid for. I'll make the most of the weekend yet!

Comment

Tuesday 17th May

Smolov Jr - Week 1 Day 1

Competition Bench Press
                          40 x 6
                          60 x 5
                          80 x 4
                          95 x 6 x 6

Feck it. Might as well do Smolov Jr for bench as cant squat or deadlift until the MRI results.

All benching will be done competition style i.e. with a pause on the chest. Stuck my last comp lift of 137.5kg as my max. Let the fun begin.

Comment

Wednesday 18th May

Smolov Jr - Week 1 Day 2

Competition Bench Press (paused)
                            40 x 5
                            60 x 5
                            80 x 4
                            92.5 x 3
                            102.5 x 5,5,5,5,5,5,5

This workout should have been done today but I don't have a full 3 weeks to finish the program so I expect a lot of back to back sessions.

Felt fine. Chest was sore but grand after the warm up sets. The bar speed did slow down over the last few sets. I'm taking about 3-4 mins between sets which is quite fast for me.

Comment

Friday 20th May

Smolov Jr - Week 1 Day 3

40 x 5
                              60 x 5
                              80 x 4
                              90 x 3
                              100 x 2
                              110 x 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4

Slowed down towards the end.

Comment

Saturday 21st May

Smolov Jr - Week 1 Day 4

40 x 5
                                60 x 5
                                80 x 4
                                90 x 3
                                100 x 2
                                107.5 x 1
                                115 x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

Not as easy as I'd like it to be.

Around 14 tons benched on the worksets this week. Hello volume.

Comment

Sunday 22nd May
                                  -------------------------------------------------

Smolov Jr - Week 2 Day 1

40 x 5
                                  60 x 4
                                  80 x 3
                                  90 x 2
                                  100 x 6 x 6

Not too bad. Shoulders and elbows holding up well.

Comment

Tuesday 24th May

Smolov Jr - Week 2 Day 2

40 x 5
                                    60 x 4
                                    80 x 3
                                    90 x 2
                                    100 x 1
                                    107.5 x 5,5,5,5,5,5,5

Extremely comfortable. Felt great.

Comment

Wednesday 25th May

Smolov Jr - Week 2 Day 3

40 x 5
                                      60 x 5
                                      80 x 4
                                      90 x 3
                                      100 x 2
                                      107.5 x 1
                                      115 x 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4

Much much easier than the 115 for 10 sets of 3 last Saturday. Great sign.

Comment

Thursday 26th May

Smolov Jr - Week 2 Day 4

40 x 5
                                        60 x 4
                                        80 x 3
                                        100 x 2
                                        110 x 1
                                        120 x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

---------------------------------------------

Yeah budaaay. Moar benching. Holding up fine.

I also had my MRI today. I could just about squeeze into the machine

Results soon.

Comment

Saturday 28th May

Smolov Jr - Week 3 Day 1

40 x 5
                                          60 x 4
                                          80 x 3
                                          90 x 2
                                          100 x 1
                                          105 x 6,6,6,6,6,6

Smooth like butter. I'm surprised my lack of rest compared to the normal program has had no ill effects so far.

I suppose we will see this week. 112.5 7x5 today, 120 8x4 on Tuesday and 125 10x3 on Wednesday to finish the program.

Comment

Monday 30th May

Smolov Jr - Week 4 Day 2

40 x 5
                                            60 x 4
                                            80 x 3
                                            92.5 x 2
                                            102.5 x 1
                                            112.5 x 5,5,5,5,5,5,5

Possibly did 8 sets. Lost count. Felt fine.

Comment

MRI Results: some wear and tear in most of my discs. Minor disc bulge x 2 and small annular disc tear x 1 with a small bit of nerve issues down in L5-S1. No surprise this is the one that comes under most force in the squat. Funnily enough the tear is on the opposite side of my body to the hip pain.

Apparently all that is a 3/10 on a level of fuckedness so it could be a lot worse. I also have an extra vertebra - L6 also known as "the transitional vertebra". Confirmed mutant

The jist is I've to lose weight, do cardio, dry needling, sports massage, pilates. Squat an empty bar and no deadlifting plus do the exercises they gave me.

They said it's up to me if i want to continue powerlifting and to think about it for a few weeks. I doubt I'll ever stop unless it gets to the point where it affects my quality of life being perfectly honest.

This whole experience makes me want to sort out the weaknesses that I've ignored for the past few years. Now is the time to do it. This was a warning shot by my body. Time to take things slow, fix myself up and be more than just a mediocre powerlifter.
                                              Last edited by Lurker23; 30-05-16, 22:46.

Comment

Shit mad. Anything spinal always sounds worse than it is. You''re not going to stop, so just take a break and hammer weaknesses.

Comment

Tuesday 31st May

Smolov Jr - Week 4 Day 3

40 x 6
                                                  60 x 5
                                                  80 x 4
                                                  100 x 3
                                                  110 x 1
                                                  120 x 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4

------------------------------------------

That was ok. Slow towards the end but to be expected with so much volume.

The big one tomorrow to finish off the program.

Comment

Wednesday 1st June

Smolov Jr - Week 3 Day 4

40 x 6
                                                    60 x 5
                                                    80 x 4
                                                    100 x 3
                                                    110 x 2
                                                    117.5 x 1
                                                    125 x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

-----------------------------------------

So there you have it.

Smolov Jr. Bench [X]

3 week program condensed down to 15 days with 12 bench sessions over that period. Happy to survive without any issues. It was easier than expected. Some volume!

I'll one rep next week. Max ever paused is 140kg. It'd be nice to get 145kg+.

Comment

Wednesday 8th June

Smolov Jr - Max Test

40 x 6
                                                      60 x 5
                                                      80 x 4
                                                      100 x 3
                                                      115 x 2
                                                      125 x 1
                                                      135 x 1
                                                      142.5 x 1 *PB*
                                                      150 x fail
                                                      147.5 x 1 *PB

Recent paused bench max (May 16) = 137.5kg --> +10kg (+7.27%)
                                                      Lifetime paused bench before today (Feb 16) = 140kg --> +7.5kg (+5.36%)

So yeah shot the lights out on that one. Very happy.

142.5kg flew up for a PB. Unfortunately spotter forgot to say press under the 150kg so I was just left there with the bar on my chest He's a good friend of mine and has been spotting me for years so we'll let him away with that one. Shit timing though as definitely thought I was good for it on the day.

15 min rest and tried the 147.5kg. Very happy to lock it out especially after what happened on the prior set. Good sign that there's more to come.

No doubt Smolov Jr works anyhow. The main other highlight out of the program is that I've learned to move my grip out more. An inch or so each side. It feels very comfortable after all the practice over the last few weeks. Goal is to keep moving grip out over the coming months to shorten ROM and hopefully bench more.

Comment

Physio Update: Got some dry needling done in the right glute today. Weird sensation but felt good afterwards.

Doing about 30 mins a day of physio exercises which are getting progressively more difficult each week. As I said before, I'll be taking things slow.

I've also lost around 8-10lbs in the past week. Just by cutting out the shite and a bit more walking so back around 100kg. Might even cut to 90kg (the next powerlifting weight class down) as I think it would be beneficial for my back.
                                                        Last edited by Lurker23; 08-06-16, 21:30.

Comment

Small bit of work done in the gym tonight.

Usual physio stuff + rotator cuff + lat pulldowns + rows.

Comment

Monday 13th June

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 1 - Heavy Day

40 x 10
                                                            60 x 8
                                                            80 x 5
                                                            95 x 3
                                                            105 x 10,10`

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                            50 x 8
                                                            70 x 6
                                                            82.5 x 3
                                                            92.5 x 10,9

Incline Bench Press
                                                            40 x 8
                                                            60 x 5
                                                            75 x 3
                                                            87.5 x 4
                                                            67.5 x 10,10

I might as well do the Coan bench cycle again as I can't really do anything else except corrective exercises atm.

I've decided to do the benching paused for a carryover to competitions. 10 on 105 was really tough. My chest was screaming after both sets.

My chest was smoked by the time I got to incline. I'll adjust the incline numbers downwards for the rest of the program.

Comment

Some more work done in the gym tonight.

Usual physio stuff + rotator cuff + pull ups + lat raise.

Comment

Thursday 16th June
                                                                ---------------------------------------

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 1 - Light Day

Competition Bench Press (paused): 90 x 10,10

Tricep Push Downs (Bar): stack x 10,8,8

Parallel Bar Dips: BW + 20kg x 8,8

-----------------------------------------------

Dips are harder than I remember. I'm sure they'll come back quick.

Comment

Saturday 18th June

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 2 - Heavy Day

40 x 10
                                                                  60 x 8
                                                                  80 x 5
                                                                  95 x 3
                                                                  105 x 10,10

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                  72.5 x 6
                                                                  82.5 x 3
                                                                  92.5 x 10,10

Incline Bench Press
                                                                  40 x 8
                                                                  60 x 5
                                                                  70 x 10,10

Going to try to double up on the first few weeks of Coan. It worked out well for Smolov Jr so lets see what happens.

Comment

Saturday 19th June

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 2 - Light Day

Competition Bench Press (paused): 90 x 10,10

Tricep Push Downs (Bar): stack x 10,10,10

Parallel Bar Dips: BW + 22.5kg x 8,8

Comment

First full squats at physio yesterday since the injury. Looked good apparently.

30-45 mins of corrective exercises a day seems to be doing the job. Hopefully start adding weight soon.

Pull ups 3 sets of 8 last night too.

Comment

Tuesday 21st June

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 3 - Heavy Day

40 x 10
                                                                        60 x 8
                                                                        80 x 5
                                                                        100 x 3
                                                                        109 x 8,8

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                        60 x 10
                                                                        80 x 5
                                                                        96.5 x 8,8

Incline Bench Press
                                                                        40 x 10
                                                                        60 x 5
                                                                        75 x 10
                                                                        80 x 10

The incline strength is coming back. Accidentally did 10 reps instead of 8 and had a couple more in the tank.

I'll up the incline weight by a decent chunk next week to get closer to what is actually prescribed by the program.

Comment

Thursday 23rd June

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 3 - Light Day

Competition Bench Press (paused): 92.5 x 10,10

Tricep Push Downs (Bar): stack + 5kg x 10,10,8

Parallel Bar Dips: BW + 25kg x 8,8

Comment

Monday 27th June

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 4 - Heavy Day

40 x 8
                                                                            60 x 5
                                                                            80 x 4
                                                                            100 x 3
                                                                            110 x 1
                                                                            115 x 8,8

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                            60 x 8
                                                                            82.5 x 5
                                                                            92.5 × 3
                                                                            102.5 x 8,8

Incline Bench Press
                                                                            40 x 8
                                                                            60 x 5
                                                                            80 x 3
                                                                            95 x 8,7

The 115 was a grind towards the end. Second set better than the first.

Glad to catch up with the program weight on the incline. Missed one rep but sure what can you do.

Comment

I've spent an hour each night working on flexibility, core and quality of movement since my injury. I'm happy to say my back is now 100% according to the physio. My range of movement and stability has greatly improved.

I'm going to see an orthopaedic spinal surgeon at the end of next month to get a qualified opinion on my MRI. Once that goes smoothly, I'll start adding proper weight to the bar again at a gradual pace. I've been give the go ahead to squat very light until that appointment anyhow.

Comment

Thursday 30th June

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 4 - Light Day

Tricep Push Downs (Bar): stack + 7.5kg x 10,10

Parallel Bar Dips: BW + 30kg x 8,8

Also did a bit of back on Tuesday.

Comment

Monday 4th July (Afternoon)

Pilates Class (Beginners)

Lasted about 60 minutes.

That is all. Seriously though, it should strengthen my core and stability of the little muscles I've neglected.

Some of the exercises were challenging and the rest was a gentle stretch. Probably a 3/10 in terms of difficulty. Move up to intermediate soon.

Heavy benching session in a few hours to regain my masculinity

Comment

Monday 4th July

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 5 - Heavy Day

40 x 6
                                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                                    80 x 4
                                                                                    100 x 2
                                                                                    110 x 1
                                                                                    120x 5,5

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                    60 x 8
                                                                                    82.5 x 5
                                                                                    92.5 × 3
                                                                                    107.5 x 5,5

Incline Bench Press
                                                                                    40 x 5
                                                                                    60 x 4
                                                                                    80 x 2
                                                                                    90 x 1
                                                                                    100 x 5,5

The bar felt heavy in my hand today. All of the top sets were difficult apart from the close grip.
                                                                                    Last edited by Lurker23; 04-07-16, 22:34.

Comment

Tuesday 5th July

Usual physio stuff

Dead Hang Pull Ups
                                                                                      BW x 5
                                                                                      BW + 8kg x 5,5,5

Dumbbell Rows
                                                                                      20 x 8
                                                                                      32.5 x 8
                                                                                      45 x 6

Rotator cuff work + face pulls + lateral raise + biceps

Comment

Thursday 7th July

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 5 - Light Day

Tricep Push Downs (Bar): stack + 10kg x 10,10

Parallel Bar Dips: BW + 35kg x 8,8

Dumbbell Flyes: 12.5 x 8,8,8

All felt light and smooth.

Comment

Saturday 9th July

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 6 - Heavy Day

40 x 6
                                                                                          60 x 5
                                                                                          80 x 4
                                                                                          100 x 3
                                                                                          110 x 2
                                                                                          120 x 1
                                                                                          126 x 5,5

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                          60 x 5
                                                                                          80 x 3
                                                                                          95 × 2
                                                                                          105 x 1
                                                                                          111 x 5,5

Incline Bench Press
                                                                                          40 x 5
                                                                                          60 x 4
                                                                                          80 x 2
                                                                                          95 x 1
                                                                                          104 x 5,5

Happy to get throught that one unscathed. Going to be tough from here on in.

Comment

Monday 11th July (Afternoon)

Pilates Class (Beginners)

I felt a bit more comfortable in the class this week. I was much more in control of my breathing.

Comment

Monday 11th July (Evening)

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 6 - Light Day

Competition Bench Press (paused): 95 x 10,10

Tricep Push Downs (Bar): stack + 13kg x 8,8

Parallel Bar Dips: BW + 40kg x 8,8

All grand.

Dips becoming challenging now though for sure. Need to find my old dipping belt. It's difficult to swing 40kg between your legs and balance it there like i'm doing now.

Comment

Tuesday 12th July

Usual physio stuff

Dead Hang Pull Ups
                                                                                                BW x 5
                                                                                                BW + 10kg x 5,5,5

Dumbbell Rows
                                                                                                20 x 10
                                                                                                32.5 x 8
                                                                                                42.5 x 8

Comment

Thursday 14th July

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 7 - Heavy Day

40 x 6
                                                                                                  60 x 5
                                                                                                  80 x 4
                                                                                                  100 x 3
                                                                                                  115 x 2
                                                                                                  125 x 1
                                                                                                  131 x 5,5 *PB*

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                                  60 x 5
                                                                                                  80 x 3
                                                                                                  100 × 2
                                                                                                  107.5 x 1
                                                                                                  116 x 5,5

Incline Bench Press
                                                                                                  40 x 5
                                                                                                  60 x 4
                                                                                                  80 x 3
                                                                                                  90 x 2
                                                                                                  100 x 1
                                                                                                  108 x 4,4

Boom! Nice PB there. Has to grind it to death on last rep on both sets. Delighted.

Bodes well for rest of program.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Lurker23; 14-07-16, 20:49.

Comment

Monday 18th July

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 7 - Light Day

Competition Bench Press (paused): 96 x 10,10

Tricep Push Downs (Bar): stack + 15kg x 8,8

Parallel Bar Dips: BW + 45kg x 8,8

I'm using a wider grip on light bench day. Ring finger on the rings rather than my usual pinky grip. The plan is to keep on moving wider over time.

Dips are getting serious now. Let's give 50kg a go next week.

Comment

Tuesday 19th July

Usual physio stuff

Dead Hang Pull Ups
                                                                                                      BW x 5
                                                                                                      BW + 12.5kg x 5,5,5

Dumbbell Rows
                                                                                                      20 x 10
                                                                                                      32.5 x 8
                                                                                                      47.5 x 8

Comment

Wednesday 20th July

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 8 - Heavy Day

40 x 6
                                                                                                        60 x 5
                                                                                                        80 x 4
                                                                                                        100 x 3
                                                                                                        120 x 2
                                                                                                        130 x 1
                                                                                                        137.5 x 3,3 *PB*

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                                        60 x 5
                                                                                                        80 x 3
                                                                                                        100 × 2
                                                                                                        111 x 1
                                                                                                        121 x 3,3

Incline Bench Press
                                                                                                        40 x 5
                                                                                                        60 x 4
                                                                                                        80 x 3
                                                                                                        100 x 2
                                                                                                        113 x 1
                                                                                                        100 x 3

Very difficult grind on the 1st set of the 137.5 - that weight was my heaviest bench in the national championships in May. Delighted to triple it less than 3 months later.

My spotter had to bail early so the incline didnt go to well but to be expected.

Comment

Saturday 23rd July

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 8 - Light Day

Competition Bench Press (paused): 97.5 x 10,10

Tricep Push Downs (Bar): stack + 16kg x 7,7

Parallel Bar Dips: BW + 50kg x 8,5 *PB*

Happy with the 8 on the first set of dips. Must be a PB for reps.

Comment

Tuesday 26th July

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 9 - Heavy Day

60 x 5
                                                                                                            80 x 4
                                                                                                            100 x 3
                                                                                                            120 x 2
                                                                                                            127.5 x 1
                                                                                                            135 x 1
                                                                                                            142.5 x 2,2

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                                            60 x 5
                                                                                                            80 x 3
                                                                                                            100 × 2
                                                                                                            115 x 1
                                                                                                            125 x 3,3

Incline Bench Press
                                                                                                            40 x 5
                                                                                                            60 x 4
                                                                                                            80 x 3
                                                                                                            100 x 2
                                                                                                            113 x 1

Should've been three reps on the competition bench but couldn't grind it out on the third rep. It was very close. Just failed to get past my sticking point.

CGBP was fine. I've reached my limit on incline. I'll put that on the backburner for the rest of the program.

Comment

Monday 25th July

Pilates Class (Intermediate) - 60 mins

I forgot to log this. Moved up levels

Plenty of DOMs in places I didn't know I had places afterwards. Enjoyed it.

Comment

Friday 29th July

Usual physio stuff

Dead Hang Pull Ups
                                                                                                                BW x 5
                                                                                                                BW + 15kg x 5,4,3

Dumbbell Rows
                                                                                                                35 x 8,8,8

Rotator cuff work + face pulls + lateral raise + biceps + serrano press

Comment

Paid a visit to an orthopaedic spinal surgeon yesterday. I'd been waiting about 2 months for the appointment.

He had a look at my MRI and gave me a once over. He pretty much confirmed what the physio said in that my L4, L5, L5-S1 are degenerative but I could have been born like that. 20% to 30% of people my age (29) have degenerative discs and most dont know about it. The small tear I have in my L5-S1 is nothing major to worry about. Not a nerve impingement as you'd feel that all the way down your leg. My symptoms of glute and hip pain sounds like nerve irritation rather than anything more serious.

The good news is that my symptoms have all cleared up due to the physio and pilates work. I've been give the go ahead to ramp up training. So so happy

Comment

Sunday 31st July

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 10 - Heavy Day

40 x 6
                                                                                                                    70 x 5
                                                                                                                    90 x 4
                                                                                                                    110 x 3
                                                                                                                    120 x 2
                                                                                                                    130 x 1
                                                                                                                    140 x 1
                                                                                                                    147.5 x 2, fail *PB*

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                                                                    80 x 3
                                                                                                                    100 × 2
                                                                                                                    120 x 1
                                                                                                                    130 x 2
                                                                                                                    135 x 2 *PB*

Old max of 147.5kg for a double I tried a second set as prescribed but has nothing left.

My close grip is getting ridiculously strong relatively speaking. Should've only been 130 2x2 but 130 felt so strong that I stuck another 5kg on. I'm going to try my max next week. Hoping for 154 which would be a substantial PB.

Comment

Tuesday 2nd August

Ed Coan Bench Cycle Week 10 - Light Day

Competition Bench Press (paused): 100 x 10,10

Tricep Push Downs (Bar): stack + 20kg x 8

High Bar Squats
                                                                                                                      40 x 5
                                                                                                                      60 x 5
                                                                                                                      80 x 5
                                                                                                                      100 x 5,5,5

Some external rotator exercises

Prudently decided against the dips with the bench max attempt coming up at the weekend.

It's a relief to be squatting again pain free.

Comment

Wednesday 4th August

I found it much more challenging this week but felt fantastic afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                                                                                          Wednesday 4th August

I found it much more challenging this week but felt fantastic afterwards.
                                                                                                                          What sort of stuff does this entail.

A far cry from strongman session in the park

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X