3 @ 65kgs
    3 @ 67.5kgs
    2 @ 70kgs

Grand.

Pullups
    5 x 4

Metcon

6 x 125m row; 50s rest
    Just focussed on practicing my start and hanging out at possible race pace through the end of each interval, i.e. ~1:20. I was able to do that without too much hassle which is good.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Workout 164, Tuesday 12th 19:30pm

Warmup

Hanging Knee Raises
      Hollow holds
      Scap Slides
      Scap Push Ups
      Shoulder Band work
      Stretching

Strength

HBBS
      5 @ Bar
      10 @ 40kgs
      3 x 10 @ 50kgs

Yep. Light. I'm pretty beat up and Will and I decided that risk : reward didn't make sense to do anymore than some uber light reps for movement here.

Pull Ups
      10, 7, 6, 5

Metcon

4 x 40 Calories on Airdyne; 2 min rest
      Whatever, worked reasonably hard. There was rowing planned, but we decided to give the back a rest.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Workout 165, Wednesday 13th 19:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
        Kettlebell Snatches
        Scap Slides
        Scap Push Ups
        Shoulder Band work
        Stretching
        Dynamic Stretching

Strength

Clean High Pulls
        3 Power Clean + Press @ 40kgs
        3 @ 60kgs
        3 @ 80kgs
        6 x 1 @ 85kgs EMOM

Again, keeping things light.

Metcon

3 x 500m row; 5:00 min rest
        1:28.2
        1:28.8
        1:30.6

Fuck it! Really wanted 3 x 1:28.x but it wasn't there. Was 1:28.5 pace through 250m on the third row but fell apart. Felt dreadful after. We aren't where we hoped we'd be but have to look on the bright side in that before we started this training cycle I'd only ever gone below 90 seconds for 500m twice before...
        Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 16-11-13, 13:42.

Comment

Repeating sub 90 is pretty big imo. The intensity and adrenaline of race day shoud see you snash your PR. Hiw long to go now? Taper?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
            Repeating sub 90 is pretty big imo. The intensity and adrenaline of race day shoud see you snash your PR. Hiw long to go now? Taper?
            Train Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then taper off Monday through Friday of next week. Race is Saturday 23rd.

Comment

Workout 166, Friday 15th 18:30pm

Made the decision with Will to just foam roll, do some mobility and do a rowing block.

Warmup

Foam Rolling
              Attack of Hamstrings and Glutes with Hockey ball
              Scap Slides
              Scap Push Ups
              Shoulder Band work
              Hamstring Band work
              Stretching

Metcon

2 x 150m row; 4 x 125m Row; rest 90 seconds
              Quick starts and hanging out at 1:18 - 1:20.

Comment

Workout 167, Saturday 16th 11:00am

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                Scap Slides
                Scap Push Ups
                Shoulder Band work
                Hamstring Band work
                Couch Stretch
                Stretching

Metcon

3 x 500m row; fully recover between each one
                1:28.6
                1:28.0
                1:27.8

Boom!

Probably rested as much as 8 mins between each one and got on and off the airdyne. Very happy with that.

Comment

Workout 168, Sunday 17th 11:00am

Warmup

Band Shoulder work
                  Scap Slides
                  Scap Pushups
                  Dynamic stretching

Strength

Strict Overhead Press
                  Some @ Bar
                  5 @ 40kgs
                  3 @ 50kgs
                  3 @ 60kgs
                  3 @ 62.5kgs
                  2 @ 65kgs
                  2 @ 67.5kgs
                  1 @ 70kgs
                  1 @ 72.5kgs

Metcon

5 x 125m row; 90s rest
                  Fine.

Comment

Workout 169, Tuesday 19th 19:30pm

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                    Scap Slides
                    Scap Push Ups
                    Shoulder Band work
                    Hamstring Band work
                    Couch Stretch
                    Stretching

Metcon

3 x 250m row; Easy pace; 2 min rest

Ha! Sweetest training session ever.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                      1:28.6
                      1:28.0
                      1:27.8

Consistency is key

Comment

Workout 170, Wednesday 20th 19:30pm

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                        Scap Slides
                        Scap Push Ups
                        Shoulder Band work
                        Hamstring Band work
                        Couch Stretch
                        Stretching

Strength

Clean High Pulls
                        3 Power Clean + Press @ 40kgs
                        3 @ 60kgs
                        2 @ 70kgs
                        2 @ 80kgs
                        3 x 1 @ 85kgs

Light, fast and easy.

Metcon

4 x 125m row; 45s rest

Didn't feel fantastic for whatever reason.

Comment

Workout 171, Thursday 21st 18:30pm

Warmup

Scap Slides
                          Scap Push Ups
                          Shoulder Band work
                          Stretching
                          3 minutes medium pace on Airdyne

Metcon

1 x 500m Row, fast
                          1:21.8 **PB**

With gas in the tank. Hit 1:14 pace off the start and was keeping it ~1:18 without too much difficulty, deliberately backed off to 1:22 and kept it there until the last 100m when I started to drop off back to 1:26 for the last few strokes. Colm watched the whole thing and reckoned it looked comfortable.

The best part of the race for me is going to be the first 250m. I'm strong and fast but I start to dip into aerobic endurance earlier than I should have to (around 60s) and that is a weakness so I'll go out hard and try and hang on for dear life.

Mobility

7 minute easy warm down on Airdyne
                          Foam Rolling
                          Hamstring Band work
                          Couch Stretch

That's it folks, a training cycle. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Good luck with it on Saturday Lloyd.
                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

1:21.8 **PB**
                              With gas in the tank.
                              That is phenomenal tbh. I think that's within a second of the record in the 20-29 category.
                              Make sure you get the verification code from your race on saturday.

Comment

That is phenomenal tbh. I think that's within a second of the record in the 20-29 category.
                                Make sure you get the verification code from your race on saturday.
                                The current HWT 20 - 29 record is 1:20.9 so I should eclipse that. I'm not sure if drag factor needs to be 135 for records to count however. I don't care about that anyway. The goal is a podium spot, the rest doesn't really matter.

Comment

Saturday 23rd November

National Indoor Rowing Championship

Headed down to Limerick on the Friday afternoon and took it easy Friday night. Woke up Saturday and nervous tension was in abundance from the am on. Got to UL in time to watch the Men's 2000m race (won in 6:09.x!) and watched a couple of races after just to get a handle on the start process. Then went and watched the Liverpool game before returning to warm up.

Was obviously quite pumped and had the music on to enhance the feeling:

Official music video by LCD Soundsystem for 'Losing My Edge' from 2005's 'LCD Soundsystem' Subscribe to the LCD Soundsystem YouTube Channel: https://lnk.to/L...

radiohead, 2+2=5, gaston Viñas, animation

may have listened to the above two more than once!

Race was scheduled to start at 15:29 so I worked with that time in mind and worked in a couple of 250m rows with my stretching and mobilising before turning up at my ERG (race was split into two sections, A and B with B taking off 10 seconds after A) five minutes before go time...except they were running late and I was going to have to wait another 10 minutes. Having headphones on I had failed to pick up on that fact. Not ideal, but just watched the race and got a quick 250m in when my rower became available. Next piece of confusion was the fact that my ERG's screen wouldn't clear and had a bit of a mix up with one of the stewards over whether it should or not, but it was sorted and we were a minute away.

So then the start and got off and running alright and through my first few strokes and looked up at my screen to see...'Stop, false start'. Thought for a couple of seconds that I was out, race run etc until I caught onto the fact that they were restarting my section again. Not ideal because energy was expended. I also waaaay over compensated on the second start command and got away too slow.

As it was, saw 1:13 with one of the first few strokes and just kept plugging away at ~1:18 pace over the first 300m. I was concious of the announcer and the fact that I wasn't being mentioned as one of the front runners. This was surprising to me because I'd be holding a good pace but when I looked at my estimated finish time with 300m done it was showing 1:19.2 so I'd clearly got a rubbish start. At this stage too I began to hit the wall and was beginning to struggle, moving back towards 1:20 pace. It was just a battle to hold on and keep holding when, with inside 100m and me beginning to flag I heard my name mentioned with the words 'late push'. This spurred me on and I hung on as much as I could to finish with:

1:20.7 **PB**

On the rower screen my name came up in second place, and I assumed that this meant I was second in my section with maybe a chance of sneaking onto the podium. But when I got up and started looking at the big board results screen it dawned on me that I had infact finished 2nd. Clearly the false start had affected everyone, not just myself.

I believe that is also a new Irish Record for 20 - 29 year olds as per the below:

=========================

Obviously I'm delighted with the result. There is a part of me that is regretful over how I spent much of the last decade though. It's not a highly sought after title or national record obviously, but to be competitive nationally at anything considering where I was when we started this in January indicates that I have a fair amount of intrinsic athletic ability.

In many respects the original purpose or objective of this log has been achieved. I'll train four or five times a week between now and Christmas and have a think at that point what I want to target next year. The fact that I can think in those terms is a decent achievement in of itself.

Comment

Workout 172, Sunday 24th 11:00am

Warmup

Hamstring Band Stretch
                                    Band Shoulder work
                                    Scap Slides
                                    Scap Pushups
                                    Dynamic stretching

Strength

Strict Overhead Press
                                    Some @ Bar
                                    5 @ 40kgs
                                    3 @ 50kgs
                                    2 @ 60kgs
                                    1 @ 65kgs
                                    1 @ 70kgs
                                    1 @ 75kgs
                                    1 @ 78kgs **PB**
                                    1 @ 80kgs **PB**
                                    F @ 82.5kgs (very close, cleared my head and struggled a bit but wasn't budging so I gave up)

Deadlifts
                                    5 @ 60kgs
                                    5 @ 100kgs
                                    3 @ 120kgs (Touch and Go)
                                    2 @ 140kgs
                                    1 @ 160kgs
                                    1 @ 170kgs
                                    1 @ 180kgs
                                    1 @ 190kgs
                                    F @ 204kgs (Argh, got it to the knees but was losing position and had to bail)
                                    F @ 204kgs (Nope, got it off the ground but wasn't happening)
                                    1 @ 180kgs
                                    3 x 1 @ 170kgs

Disappointed to miss the PR attempt but thoroughly enjoyed picking up something heavy a few times.

Comment

Fair play Lloyd, that's a great performance. Onwards!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=LuckyLloyd;665096]So, I turned 29 last week. This scares the shit out of me for many reasons, but in particular because I look like this:

Great going Lloyd to go from this to I can only imagine to be fit as a fiddle, out of interest what was your starting weight and weight now?

Comment

Originally posted by TheImprover View Post
                                          Great going Lloyd to go from this to I can only imagine to be fit as a fiddle, out of interest what was your starting weight and weight now?
                                          I was 150kgs when we started this. I have no idea what I weigh now, I haven't weighed myself!

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post

Fair play Lloyd, that's a great performance. Onwards!!!
                                            The question is on to what though? First World Problem right there!

Comment

2016 in Rio? Is their not a European equivalent of the Irish indoor one? Great result and achievement as well, been an excellent thread to follow.

Comment

More power!!

Comment

More power!!

Thinking along those lines alright. A long distance endurance athlete I am not.

Comment

I might disagree with a lot of your opinions but I have to admire the work ethic.

Fair dues. You need to properly train Oly lifting, I think Clean and Jerk might be a perfect lift for you. Its like the Munster of competition lifts.
                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Great stuff Lloyd
                                                      Time to set targets in the main lifts. Sick deadlift as usual

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                        2016 in Rio? Is their not a European equivalent of the Irish indoor one? Great result and achievement as well, been an excellent thread to follow.
                                                        There are Euro competitions I believe, yes. May be an option. I think a sub 1:18 and the all time Irish record might be a worthwhile target first though. Rio is a nice thought but a little out of my league!

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                        I might disagree with a lot of your opinions but I have to admire the work ethic.

Fair dues. You need to properly train Oly lifting, I think Clean and Jerk might be a perfect lift for you. Its like the Munster of competition lifts.
                                                        I'm never going to be good at the Oly lifts. I have too much movement dysfunction and tightness, and they are extremely technical. It might take me years to chase down a 120kgs Clean and Jerk.

Great stuff Lloyd
                                                        Time to set targets in the main lifts. Sick deadlift as usual
                                                        Yeah, I'm thinking about Powerlifting for sure.

Comment

Back to grinding:

Workout 173, Tuesday 26th 19:30pm

Warmup

Ring Rows
                                                          Hollow holds
                                                          Scap Slides
                                                          Scap Push Ups
                                                          Shoulder Band work
                                                          Stretching

Strength

Front Squat/Back Squat: 3/6
                                                          3 / 3 @ bar
                                                          2 / 2 @ 40kgs
                                                          3 / 3 @ 60kgs
                                                          4 x 3 / 6 @ 80kgs

Did not feel good. Knees tracking inwards on some reps and some hip stiffness and pain. Probably to be expected after the weekend. Left the last set and will keep an eye on how I'm feeling as the week develops.

Metcon

5 mins alternating every 30 seconds:

No Clap Burpees
                                                          V Ups

Followed by (no rest) 7 min cap:

30 kneeling muscle ups
                                                          Worked reasonably hard. Back to the regular template through Christmas. Wouldn't be a fan of that metcon to say the least but will just have to grind stuff like it out for the next while.

Comment

Any interest in trying the outdoor rowing actually?

Comment

I have too much movement dysfunction.
                                                              Let's be honest. Now that you're training regularly and perverseley enjoying the toughness of it, you're never going to stop training for an extended period again. With that in mind, it's time to sort out any mobility issues you have. That way they wont hold you back or cause injury further down the road.

I think the big one for everyone, especially big guys like us, is hip mobility and the IT band.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                Any interest in trying the outdoor rowing actually?
                                                                I reckon I'd sink a boat!

Maybe, though I doubt I'd be any use at it and it probably is extremely technical.

Let's be honest. Now that you're training regularly and perverseley enjoying the toughness of it, you're never going to stop training for an extended period again. With that in mind, it's time to sort out any mobility issues you have. That way they wont hold you back or cause injury further down the road.

I think the big one for everyone, especially big guys like us, is hip mobility and the IT band.
                                                                Hmm, sense.

Comment

Workout 174, Wednesday 27th 19:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                  Kettlebell Swings
                                                                  Scap Slides
                                                                  Scap Push Ups
                                                                  Shoulder Band work
                                                                  Stretching

Strength

2 Hang Power Cleans below the knee + 1 Jerk
                                                                  Some @ Bar
                                                                  @ 40kgs
                                                                  @ 50kgs
                                                                  @ 60kgs
                                                                  @ 65kgs
                                                                  @ 65kgs
                                                                  @ 70kgs

Not very good. Cleans were very poor and Split Jerk isn't good (unsurprising given I've barely worked on it).

Metcon

12 mins alternating every minute of unbroken:

Wall Balls with 20lbs ball
                                                                  Pull Ups
                                                                  Wall Balls: 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 10
                                                                  Pull Ups: 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 8

Fine.

Mobility

Couch Stretch

Comment

Congrats Lloyd. All that work paid off.

Now onwards and upwards!

Comment

Workout 175, Friday 29th 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                      Pull Ups (moving to the Blue Band from now on)
                                                                      Scap Slides
                                                                      Scap Push Ups
                                                                      Shoulder Band work
                                                                      Stretching

Strength

Front Squats / Back Squats complex
                                                                      3, 3 @ Bar
                                                                      2, 2 @ 40kgs
                                                                      2, 2 @ 60kgs
                                                                      3, 6 @ 80kgs x 5

Tough, but all went up. Felt a bit better than Tuesday.

Metcon

15 min cap:

7 Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                                      10 Power Snatches @ 40kgs
                                                                      Got 5 snatches in the third round done. Knee irritation last night for the first time in weeks. The rowing program was extremely knee friendly, but the culprit for inflammation is clearly the Olympic lifts.
                                                                      Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 30-11-13, 15:49.

Comment

Workout 176, Saturday 30th 11:00am

Warmup

PVC Pip Snatch work

Strength

Power Snatch
                                                                        Some @ Bar
                                                                        Some @ 40kgs
                                                                        @ 42.5kgs
                                                                        Some @ 45kgs
                                                                        @ 47.5kgs
                                                                        @ 50kgs
                                                                        @ 52.5kgs

Very high catch, struggle to pull under and land sitting back into the hips.

Front Squat
                                                                        3 @ 60kgs
                                                                        3 @ 80kgs
                                                                        3 @ 90kgs
                                                                        3 @ 100kgs
                                                                        2 @ 102.5kg

Racked it after the second rep as I had back pain the first two. Will was watching and noted that I had some back movement, though nothing extreme. Felt quite sore, and in a higher position than any back pain I've had previously. I didn't move any quicker than I had to during the metcon and it felt better as the rest of the day went on so hopefully nothing to worry about.

Metcon

8 min cap:

3 Power Clean and Strict Press @ 62.5kgs
                                                                        3 Hanging knee raises
                                                                        then 6, 9, 12, etc
                                                                        Got 6 clean and press done in the round of 9. Just shy of 80% for my Strict Press so I was never going to get huge volume in.

Comment

Saturday 30th November

In House Olympic Lifting Competition

Did some foam rolling and band stretching after training was over, then grabbed a shower and dropped down the restaurant for an omlette and a coffee. Then came back for the little competition.

Weigh In
                                                                          So I get asked frequently on here what I weigh and I haven't checked since February 26th when I was 150kgs off a 12 hour fast. Today I weighed 139.1kgs having just ate so it looks like I've lost ~2 stone or so since we started this.

I'm happy enough with that. 2 stone might not sound like a lot, and 139kgs is still a big number but I've clearly added a lot of muscle mass and strength since we started this. I 'look' lighter not that it matters:

I don't have weight goals, but if we lost another 2 stone again over the coming year I'd be delighted with that. If we keep making strength and work capacity progress this stuff should take care of itself anyway.

Snatch
                                                                          45kgs, good lift
                                                                          50kgs, good lift
                                                                          52kgs, fail

Volume of last night and this morning was evident as I settled into my warm up, so I reduced my opener from 52kgs to 45kgs (in house competition so we could do that). The snatches were ugly but went up but I had to follow myself for the third attempt and kind of psyched myself out and could only manage a Snatch Pull.

Clean and Jerk
                                                                          65kgs, good lift
                                                                          70kgs, good lift
                                                                          76kgs, fail

Fairly fatigued by this stage, so both cleans were far harder than they should have been and the third was just a weak pull so missed it.

Combined Sinclair was 122.14 I believe. Needless to say I suck! Couldn't expect anything else mind given I've barely trained them and had done a fair amount of training last night and this morning. Was fun to do a little competition and cheer on everybody else, etc.

Comment

Workout 177, Sunday 1st 11:00am

Warmup

Scap Slides
                                                                            Shoulder Band work
                                                                            Hamstring Band work
                                                                            Dynamic stretching

Strength

Deadlift
                                                                            5 @ 60kgs
                                                                            5 @ 100kgs
                                                                            3 @ 120kgs (Touch and Go)
                                                                            2 @ 140kgs
                                                                            5 x 3 @ 160kgs

Full reset from the top for each rep. Colm watched the last set and reckoned they looked good, no back movement - though I could have more of an arch at the bottom.

As it was, every rep went up but it was all slow and heavy. To be expected when we haven't done Deadlift reps in quite some time.

Metcon

3 Rounds:

Airdyne 40 calories
                                                                            15 Push Ups
                                                                            Had to micro rep the Push Ups as I went along. Heavy weekend, good to have the rest day tomorrow.

Comment

Workout 178, Tuesday 3rd 19:30pm

Bad couple of days. Was sick Sunday night and spent yesterday in bed off work. More irritatingly however:

Racked it after the second rep as I had back pain the first two. Will was watching and noted that I had some back movement, though nothing extreme. Felt quite sore, and in a higher position than any back pain I've had previously.
                                                                              Proved to be ever more of an issue from Sunday night on. Quite a bit of pain yesterday and today. So today was a bit of a washout:

Warmup

Hollow holds
                                                                              Scap Slides
                                                                              Scap Push Ups
                                                                              Shoulder Band work
                                                                              Stretching

Strength

Squats
                                                                              Some @ empty bar
                                                                              Some @ empty bar to ball on plates above parallel to prevent back movement
                                                                              Some @ 40kgs to ball on plates above parallel to prevent back movement

Will have to squat high and light for a week or so unfortunately.

Metcon

7 mins AMRAP:

16kgs Russian Kettlebell Swings
                                                                              20 24" Box step ups
                                                                              Kept moving at a decent clip throughout, got 3 rounds and 8 step ups done. At least did something.

Comment

More positively, after a brief chat with Colm last week and a longer one with Will tonight I think I'll be able to stay at CFI next year while working towards my goals. This is the result I wanted really, so very happy.

My goals are as follows:

All expressed in competition. Only one of the goals is of a high level and people might question why I want to focus on these things but they roughly compliment each other, are things I value and enjoy - and achieving them would carry bonus aesthetic benefits (you'd have to look a certain way to some extent to row a sub 6:40 2k, sub 1:18 500m while deadlifting 220 and benching 125).

The key here is to not have Will reinventing the wheel too much. So we've agreed the following rough adjustments:

- Use CFI programming for Squatting;
                                                                                - Add in an alternating 5 x 5 template one day a week for Bench and Overhead Press;
                                                                                - Do 531 for Deadlifts once a week with Big But Boring assistance work;
                                                                                - Do a rowing block focussed more on aerobic stimulus once a week;
                                                                                - I'll take the CFI general programming and amend anything that irritates the knees and add in the other stuff and send it to Will for review and amendment as necessary;

And we'll see how we go. If it isn't working or we need to tailor it more specifically in the run up to a comp Will can step in and do a more fundamental overhaul.

I'm a big dog to achieve the Squat I think, probably a small favourite to get the row targets and bench and the Deadlift is a push. Part of the challenge will be staying healthy and eating right but these things don't come easy. Happy to have a plan for next year anyway.

Comment

Good stuff! Smolov for squats obv

Comment

Workout 179, Wednesday 04th 19:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                                    Kettlebell Swings
                                                                                    Scap Slides
                                                                                    Scap Push Ups
                                                                                    Shoulder Band work
                                                                                    Stretching

Strength

1 Hi Hang Power Cleans + 2 Split Jerks
                                                                                    Some work @ Bar
                                                                                    1 Power Clean + Strict Press @ 40kgs*
                                                                                    1 Hi Hang Power Clean + 2 Split Jerks @ 40kgs
                                                                                    1 Power Clean + Strict Press @ 50kgs
                                                                                    1 Hi Hang Power Clean + 2 Split Jerks @ 50kgs
                                                                                    1 Power Clean + Strict Press @ 60kgs
                                                                                    1 Hi Hang Power Clean + 2 Split Jerks @ 60kgs
                                                                                    1 Power Clean + Strict Press @ 63kgs

Good: Will watched a couple of the Split Jerks and said they looked decent
                                                                                    Bad: tweaked my left shoulder on the first Split Jerk and had to stop where I did after doing some work in pain

Metcon

12 mins alternating:

Airdyne 1 minute
                                                                                    6 Ring Rows
                                                                                    Hit the airdyne very hard for each minute, got it up to 460 watts.

Bleh

10 minutes icing up shoulder.

This is turning into a deload week of sorts thus far. Back was much better today which is great.

Comment

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Lifts from Saturday - my snatch should make Mellor feel better about his Snatch!!

Comment

Bro Science #37: Crossfit 101. Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BroScienceLifeT-shirts: http://www.DomMerch.comTwitter: https://twitter.com/BroScienceLifeIn...

Comment

Workout 180, Saturday 7th 11:00am

Warmup

Scap Slides
                                                                                          Shoulder Band work
                                                                                          Hamstring Band Stretc
                                                                                          Glute stretch

Strength

Power Cleans
                                                                                          3 @ 40kgs
                                                                                          3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                          3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                          3 @ 70kgs
                                                                                          2 @ 80kgs
                                                                                          1 @ 85kgs **PB**
                                                                                          1 @ 86kgs **PB** Ugly, didn't get under it - James reckoned it was more a muscle clean than anything else but I can count it for the worst PB ever!

Did a bunch of drills and hang cleans after with 40kgs on the bar with the aim of drilling getting under better

Clean High Pulls
                                                                                          4 x 2 @ 90kgs

Metcon

15 min cap:

5 Rounds:

5 Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                                                          20 No Clap Burpees
                                                                                          20 24" Box Step Ups
                                                                                          Got three rounds + four burpees done.

Comment

Workout 181, Sunday 8th 11:00am

Warmup

Scap Slides
                                                                                            Shoulder Band work
                                                                                            Dynamic stretching

Strength

Deadlift, 531 Cycle One, week one
                                                                                            5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                            5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                            5 @ 117kgs
                                                                                            5 @ 135kgs
                                                                                            8 @ 153kgs
                                                                                            2 x 10 @ 90kgs

Good.

Metcon

3 Rounds:
                                                                                            8 Pull Ups
                                                                                            Airdyne 40 calories
                                                                                            Grand.

Comment

Workout 182, Tuesday 10th 19:30pm

Warmup

Hollow holds
                                                                                              Ring Rows
                                                                                              Scap Slides
                                                                                              Scap Push Ups
                                                                                              Shoulder Band work
                                                                                              Stretching

Strength

Front Squats into High Bar Back Squats
                                                                                              2 / 2 @ Bar
                                                                                              2 / 4 @ 60kgs
                                                                                              2 / 4 @ 80kgs
                                                                                              2 / 4 @ 90kgs
                                                                                              2 / 4 @ 100kgs
                                                                                              2 / 4 @ 105kgs (had to really grind the last rep)

Front Squat technique was okay I thought, really focussed on keeping tight throughout. No comments from coaches anyway. Last set of Back Squats were not great losing tightness at the bottom a little and falling forward. No back pain during or after though so will have to take it.

Metcon

18 min cap:

9 Pull Ups
                                                                                              9 Overhead Press @ 70kgs
                                                                                              20 No Clap Burpees
                                                                                              6 Pull Ups
                                                                                              6 Overhead Press @ 70kgs
                                                                                              20 No Clap Burpees
                                                                                              3 Pull Ups
                                                                                              3 Overhead Press @ 70kgs
                                                                                              20 No Clap Burpees
                                                                                              6 Burpees short of completing. Press was my undoing here. Still struggling to apply leg drive to the Push Press, and it is a particular problem when I'm cleaning from the floor in metcons. So most of these were pretty strict, which meant I had a bad time and didn't finish.

Comment

Workout 183, Thursday 12th 18:30pm

Warmup

Kettlebell Snatches
                                                                                                Ring Rows
                                                                                                Scap Slides
                                                                                                Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                Shoulder Band work
                                                                                                Stretching

Strength

Bench Press
                                                                                                8 @ Bar
                                                                                                5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                2 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                5 x 5 @ 84kgs

Bar speed slowed on the last two reps of the fourth set and the last three of the fifth. Haven't trained this movement much, so was a bit of effort getting shoulders set and being consistent throughout. Good chat with Will after around a couple of set up concepts.

Metcon

500m Row x 5; 1:30mins rest between each one
                                                                                                1:38.9
                                                                                                1:38.6
                                                                                                1:38.2
                                                                                                1:38.3
                                                                                                1:37.6

Happy with those splits, worked hard. Only took two and half weeks off rowing in the end, can't help myself.

Comment

Workout 184, Friday 10th 18:30pm

Warmup

Pull Ups
                                                                                                  Chin Ups
                                                                                                  Scap Slides
                                                                                                  Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                  Shoulder Band work
                                                                                                  Stretching

Strength

Front Squats into High Bar Back Squats
                                                                                                  4 / 4 @ Bar
                                                                                                  2 / 4 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                  2 / 4 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                  2 / 4 @ 90kgs
                                                                                                  2 / 4 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                  2 / 4 @ 100kgs

Tough enough. Front Squat technique good again.

Metcon

10 min AMRAP:

15 Russian Kettlebell Swings @ 16kgs
                                                                                                  20 24" Box Step Ups
                                                                                                  Got five rounds done plus the swings.
                                                                                                  Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 13-12-13, 22:20.

Comment

Workout 185, Saturday 14th 11:00am

Warmup

PVC Pipe Snatch warmup
                                                                                                    Some Hip Stretching
                                                                                                    Some Shoulder Band work

Strength

Snatch High Pulls
                                                                                                    A bunch of reps at increments starting at 40kgs and ending at 60kgs.

Colm reckoned they were good, smooth and high

Power Cleans
                                                                                                    A bunch of reps at increments starting at 60kgs and ending at 80kgs

Not a lot of pop today, had a bit of a cold the last couple of days and that might have something to do with it.

Metcon

3 x 1000m row; rest 1 : 1
                                                                                                    3:26.3
                                                                                                    3:25.7
                                                                                                    3:24.3

Happy with that. Had to dig in a little on the third row but it wasn't too bad in all honesty.
                                                                                                    Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 14-12-13, 14:06.

Comment

Workout 186, Sunday 15th 11:00am

Warmup

Scap Slides
                                                                                                      Shoulder Band work
                                                                                                      Hamstring Band work
                                                                                                      Dynamic stretching

Strength

Deadlift, 531 Cycle One, week two
                                                                                                      5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                      5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                      1 @ 120kgs
                                                                                                      3 @ 126kgs

3 @ 144kgs

7 @ 161kgs (iphone ran out of memory before the first rep went up )
                                                                                                      2 x 10 @ 90kgs

Happy enough, if my life depended on it there was another rep or two at 161 there I think.

Metcon

3 Rounds:
                                                                                                      5 Ring Rows
                                                                                                      5 Pull Ups
                                                                                                      Airdyne 40 calories
                                                                                                      Fine, took my time with it.

Comment

Hi Lloyd i know nothing about weight lifting other than the odd eurosport 3 green light wait while holding but just wondering why your dropping it so quick?. Are you not meant to hold it a few seconds longer to fully execute the lift?.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                                          Hi Lloyd i know nothing about weight lifting other than the odd eurosport 3 green light wait while holding but just wondering why your dropping it so quick?. Are you not meant to hold it a few seconds longer to fully execute the lift?.
                                                                                                          Well, the lift is over once I get it locked out and as such I drop it there - i.e. when I have no more work to do. But I probably should practice holding a bit longer as in a competition I'd have to wait for a down signal before I lower it (and would have to lower it rather than drop it). Might practice same on the odd set every training session, something I wasn't thinking about tbh.

Comment

Workout 187, Thursday 19th 18:30pm

Warmup

Kettlebell Snatches
                                                                                                            Push Ups
                                                                                                            Scap Slides
                                                                                                            Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                            Shoulder Band work
                                                                                                            Stretching

Strength

Strict Overhead Press
                                                                                                            8 @ Bar
                                                                                                            5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                            3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                                            2 @ 55kgs
                                                                                                            4 x 5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                            3 @ 60kgs

Couldn't quite manage the 5 x 5 at 75% unfortunately. Fifth rep of the second last set was a real grind that I probably should have given up on and knew that I was done after no.3 on the fifth. Do better next time.

Metcon

5k Row
                                                                                                            19:12.5

Wanted a sub 19:00.0 but went out too slow. Technique a limiting factor, was bouncing around in terms of average per 500m even though my stroke rate stayed at 13 - 14 spm. Part of the issue was focus and concentration. Was very aware of the metcon going on around me and people putting bars and plates away, etc.

First time ever rowing over 2k in one go so can't be too annoyed.

Comment

Saturday 21st 12:00pm

Ran out of work yesterday and was present and correct in Bowe's before 4pm, six pints deep by 6pm. Needless to say, felt dreadful this morning off five hours of useless drunken coma sleep but decided to suck it up and head to Ballymun to lift anyway.

Warmup

Scap Slides
                                                                                                              Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                              Stretching

Strength

Squats
                                                                                                              5 Front Squats @ Bar
                                                                                                              5 @ Bar
                                                                                                              5 Front Squats @ 60kgs
                                                                                                              5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                              3 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                              2 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 110kgs

At this point Mellor arrived so we stripped the bar so he could warm up and I decided to do a few reps at the lighter weights again

5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                              3 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 110kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 120kgs (went too deep on this one, i.e. atg and bar speed was slow up)
                                                                                                              1 @ 125kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 130kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 135kgs

Last three reps were very comfortable, good depth and speed without losing tightness at the bottom. Happy enough

Strict Overhead Press
                                                                                                              8 @ Bar
                                                                                                              5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                              3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 70kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 75kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                              F @ 82.5kgs (bah, forehead height and stalled so gave up after a small struggle)

No PR so, second time missing a single at that weight.

Deadlift
                                                                                                              5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                              5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                              3 @ 120kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 140kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 160kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 170kgs
                                                                                                              1 @ 180kgs

Neither Mellor or I had chalk so going heavier wasn't an option. Grip an issue on the last three reps, though they went up fine.

Mellor got a new Squat and Press PB and was glad I went down in the end.

Comment

I really thought you had 82.5kg. Soon
                                                                                                                180kg chalkless was impressive. You have to test PR soon.

Comment

Workout 188, Monday 23rd 10:00am

Christmas drinking season will test a man.

Warmup

Pull Ups
                                                                                                                  Push Ups
                                                                                                                  Scap Slides
                                                                                                                  Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                                  Shoulder Band work
                                                                                                                  Dynamic stretching

Strength

Deadlift, 531 Cycle One, week three
                                                                                                                  5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                  5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                                  3 @ 120kgs
                                                                                                                  6 @ 135kgs (James shouted a 'chest up' cue halfway through the set and I lost count)
                                                                                                                  3 @ 153kgs
                                                                                                                  3 @ 171kgs

Happy with the last set, got into a strong position for all three and kept the bar pulled in close. Didn't feel the need to push for a fourth rep though it was definitely there if I wanted it.

Skipped the assistance work because of the pulls on Saturday (also because of being deathly hungover).

Metcon

Row 1 min on; 1 minute light x 4
                                                                                                                  2308 metres, took it fairly easy.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 23-12-13, 12:35.

Comment

I really thought you had 82.5kg. Soon
                                                                                                                    180kg chalkless was impressive. You have to test PR soon.
                                                                                                                    Meh, I don't know. Kind of content to just plod along with 531 the next while tbh. I missed 205 just above the knee a couple of weeks ago. I might get that now if I tested, but tbh the bigger goal is working towards 220kgs and that will take time and consistency.

Comment

Meh, I don't know. Kind of content to just plod along with 531 the next while tbh. I missed 205 just above the knee a couple of weeks ago. I might get that now if I tested, but tbh the bigger goal is working towards 220kgs and that will take time and consistency.
                                                                                                                      I forgot you had started 531 already. For some reason thought it was after Xmas.
                                                                                                                      I think you are right to stick to the program in that case. you'll be pulling 95% every few weeks anyway.
                                                                                                                      Did you take 180 as the assume 1RM starting out? What way does that increase for the next round?

Comment

Workout 189, Friday 27th 12:00pm

Max effort eating and drinking over the past few days; infinite reps. Was on the fence about whether to train this morning but sucked it up in the end.

Warmup

Kettlebell Snatches
                                                                                                                        Ring Rows
                                                                                                                        Scap Slides
                                                                                                                        Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                                        Shoulder Band work
                                                                                                                        Stretching

Strength

Bench Press
                                                                                                                        8 @ Bar
                                                                                                                        5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                                        5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                        3 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                                        5 x 5 @ 86kgs

Bar speed slowed through the sets but was never really in danger of missing any. Need to dial in my technique better. 88kgs will be interesting.

Metcon

2k Row
                                                                                                                        6:54.2 **PB**

Happy with this. Realised that it was appropriate to test a 2k as I hadn't done one since before the training program for the national 500m race. While that training was focussed on the 500m piece, clearly there was decent carryover. 14 second PB is what it is!!

Stroke rate was 21 / 22 throughout until the last 150m when I emptied the tank. Did about 12 strokes sub 1:40 then settled into race pace of 1:43 - 1:45 throughout and got down to ~1:40 for the last 200m. There were a few stray strokes where I saw 1:46 but I reigned it back down each time. Don't plan on testing this again for a couple of months at least.

Comment

I forgot you had started 531 already. For some reason thought it was after Xmas.
                                                                                                                          I think you are right to stick to the program in that case. you'll be pulling 95% every few weeks anyway.
                                                                                                                          Did you take 180 as the assume 1RM starting out? What way does that increase for the next round?
                                                                                                                          Spreadsheet attached so you can see how it progresses. It would involve not hitting a 500lbs pull until November.

Redditor OVERLY_CYNICAL made a 531 spreadsheet variation that incorporates ‘Overwarm Singles’ (a.k.a. PAP – Post Activation Potentiation). Basically throwing in a heavier single after your warm up reps and before your work set. Get the 5/3/1 for Powerlifting paperback / ebook to understand the program. Features: the cycle goes 3/5/1 so it’s heavy-light-heavy-light You type your AMRAP score in the red box […]

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X