This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dobby View Post
    Time for this thread to make a comeback with all the food posted in BBV recently and us all with plenty of time to cook now. Anyone made anything interesting other than what was already posted?
    Made this kadala curry and Monday and it was terrific. Nothing special just your standard homemade Indian-ish flavoured curry but would recommend.

This easy chickpea curry, created by reader Jon Gregg, is a vegan recipe that's three of your five-a-day. It works well as a main course or a simple side dish

Comment

Keeping things healthy and delicious with this Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma with Sesame Sweet Potatoes and Hummus. This quick cooking, easy sheet pan dinner comes together in just about an hour. It's colorful, healthy, and beyond good. Perfect for a weeknight dinner, meal prep lunches, or your next dinner party!

This is an absolute winner for a Friday evening all dig in sort of feed. Obviously using thighs instead of breasts though for more taste.
      airport, lol

Comment

Instant pot is good for effort to reward ratio. 5 mins chopping and ten cooking. Potatoes in ghee and goose fat.

SPOILER

Comment

Those spuds are from the instant cooker? In 10 mins?
          airport, lol

Comment

First time I made it I did the spuds in the instant pot with everything else.

^ that one, I boiled them in the insta pot separately (kept the water for everything else) and finished them in the oven. Lamb came out super tender.

Comment

Are you talking about Instant Pot Denny?

Comment

Left mince chilli out covered in pot overnight, is it safe to eat again if I boil it for 10-15 mins? Google suggests not but there’s a good 6-8 meals in there so I’m looking for any reason not to listen to google...

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                  Left mince chilli out covered in pot overnight, is it safe to eat again if I boil it for 10-15 mins? Google suggests not but there’s a good 6-8 meals in there so I’m looking for any reason not to listen to google...
                  personally would have no issues tucking in again after one night, but i'd make sure it was piping hot all the way through

Comment

Yeah I'd eat that, just heat it properly.

Comment

Don't listen to Google. It'll be nicer today, heat it to a boil and simmer for a bit. A good chilli would do ya 3 days.
                      Last edited by eamonhonda; 01-05-20, 16:41.
                      airport, lol

Comment

I've often left it out over night by drunken mistake. Totally fine the next night. I'd usually throw it in the fridge when I cop it in the morning though.
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

On chilli, funny, I'm actually making one right now, a game changer for me about a year ago was switching from red kidney beans to black beans. Much more of a bite to them. Looks a whole lot better too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                            On chilli, funny, I'm actually making one right now, a game changer for me about a year ago was switching from red kidney beans to black beans. Much more of a bite to them. Looks a whole lot better too.
                            Have used black beans for years now since getting them in Boojum one time and havent looked back. As you say, they're better all round.

Comment

Both! Also mix of chunks and mince is the business. Few squares dark chocolate, some balsamic. Make it different every time.

Also on the above my kitchen is basically a fridge during prime chilli season.

On another note, if you like chilli, try ropa vieja, now there's an amazing chilli like dish. Shredded beef, olives, capers, white wine and loads more. Flavours are insane
                              airport, lol

Comment

Do you not find the chocolate takes away from the spice or how do you manage it? I have to make it with chocolate cos the missus doesnt like spicy food and it is nice and goes well together but I always have to lash a load of chilli powder onto my portion.

Comment

How spicy/what cillis do you use?

Think chunks of meat > mince

Comment

A pinch of cinnamon can be a nice addition to a chilli also, but be careful not to overdo it - we're talking a tsp in a big pot.

Comment

I've a bag of Kashmiri chilli powder, it's quite powerful, no more than a teaspoon. Good bit of paprika too.

Garnish it with sliced red chillies or habaneros, and jalapeños.

Comment

Do you not find the chocolate takes away from the spice or how do you manage it? I have to make it with chocolate cos the missus doesnt like spicy food and it is nice and goes well together but I always have to lash a load of chilli powder onto my portion.
                                        Not much point in cooking chilli for her then!!

Nah if you get balance right it doesn't. Couldn't tell ya what measurements I use, have to feel a good chilli out and taste as ya go!
                                        airport, lol

Comment

Packed with flavor, this ultimate Ropa Vieja recipe is simply the best! Beautiful colors, bold flavors, this is sure to become a favorite!

Ropa Vieja btw, get it made yere at nothing else
                                          airport, lol

Comment

exception to this would be if there is cream in it.

Comment

The weeks menu looks good this week after the big shop, so used to shopping for food day to day but it's good planning week out to limit visits.

Tonight is Greek lamb koftas tacos with taziki and Israeli salad. And loads of wine
                                              airport, lol

Comment

This is a pretty good chilli recipe from the other place

“Igor? Igor! IGOR!”“Yeth mather?” “Bring forth the beef. Bring forth the unsmoked bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                  This is a pretty good chilli recipe from the other place

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2055938138
                                                  Ah brilliant, cheers Mellor, I was gonna come in here and ask if anyone knew how to dig that recipe up. I thought I had it bookmarked but couldn't find it.

Want to give it a lash soon. May have to wait until the fancy shops are back open though, some exotic ingredients in it.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                    The weeks menu looks good this week after the big shop, so used to shopping for food day to day but it's good planning week out to limit visits.

Tonight is Greek lamb koftas tacos with taziki and Israeli salad. And loads of wine
                                                    What's the Israeli salad? Give us the lowdown on the koftas too. Recipe i follow is hit or miss.

Comment

What's the Israeli salad? Give us the lowdown on the koftas too. Recipe i follow is hit or miss.
                                                      Take your taco game to the next (global) level with these Greek Lamb Tacos, featuring lamb kefta, homemade tzatziki, and Israeli Salad all wrapped up on mini naan!

Very simple. Small bit of prep. Flavor from the koftas is too good.
                                                      airport, lol

Comment

https://sharedappetite.com/recipes/greek-lamb-tacos/

Cheers man, that looks great.

Comment

Is pesto carbonara a thing, if not I claim it. Wild garlic. Fuck it's good
                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Ah brilliant, cheers Mellor, I was gonna come in here and ask if anyone knew how to dig that recipe up. I thought I had it bookmarked but couldn't find it.

Want to give it a lash soon. May have to wait until the fancy shops are back open though, some exotic ingredients in it.
                                                            There's an index post somewhere. I made it last month, so was able to find it quickly.
                                                            Some of the ingredients are a but fancy, but tbh I don't think I ever made it with all of them. Always swapping something for something I had. And was fine. The meat/sauce/beans/chilli are the key parts.

Comment

https://www.eatenalive.co.uk/hot-sauce

These guys do some fab hot sauces, and Kimchi etc.

Was missing the Hophouse and got the makings of Bulgogi from these guys

https://www.souschef.co.uk/

they do the beans/coffee from Sant Eustachio in Rome

https://www.souschef.co.uk/products/...-ground-coffee

Loads of #notions type ingredients on this site, truffle oil in the sous vide bag embiggens the flavour of steak no end.
                                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

This is heaven for me. It must be about five and a half years ago now when I went to Greece with Mrs Lao Lao. I'd been to Greece before on lads holidays so this was a slightly different trip especially as it was our first holiday away together. We completely luck boxed a 5 star resort at way, way, waaaay below what it should have cost on some UK travel site and the food there was off the charts. They had 4 restaurants and a pool side buffer bar. The pool side bar was better than some restaurants I've eat in and they always had burgers, mini steaks, kofta's and tzatziki. It was the first time tasting proper tzatziki, not the shop bought shite. I must have ate my body weight of it over the week we were there.

Mrs Lao Lao has pretty much perfected a home made job of it and when it's sunny like now, it's the perfect time for it as it brings back memories of Greece, not that I wouldn't eat any day of the week, rain, hail or shine!

Comment

Yeah you're right, tzatziki is an amazing dip. Grilled or toasted pitta sliced into soldiers, oh yeah.

Comment

Tzatziki is class. Would be interested in Mrs Lao's recipe if it's going?

I made that Brazilian fish stew with prawns and hake this evening and it is beautiful, thanks for the tip Eamo.

Comment

Also tried my hand at the Brazilian fish stew. It was pretty good but felt like something was missing to bind the tastes together, couldn’t figure it out though. Have some in the fridge so we’ll see if it’s better with time; if I was doing it again I’d marinate the fish overnight & probably add more salt.

Comment

Link to Brazillian fish Stew please

Comment

Link to Brazillian fish Stew please

also add chorizo
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Just put this together and have it in the fridge for dinner tomorrow. Not great to look at but smells bloody gorgeous. Found it while looking for a "summer dish" and Cuban food was popping up. Really cant wait to taste it. Have high hopes for such a simple dish.

This Cuban Mojo Chicken is a zesty, garlicky Cuban chicken that is marinated in a wicked Cuban Mojo marinade & roasted to perfection.

Having the aul reliable homemade spag bol tonight. Bolognese sauce has to be up there with my favourite things to make. Dont think I've ever used the exact same ingredients twice

Comment

Making this tonight. Cheers Eamo.

Comment

Edit wrong thread
                                                                                Last edited by Keane; 09-05-20, 18:15.

Comment

Making this tonight. Cheers Eamo.
                                                                                  This was to die for btw. My new kofta recipe, the lemon zest was a great addition.

[IMG][/IMG]

Loved his technique for straining the cucumber for the tzatziki, usual recipe I follow has you straining it over a bowl for a couple of hours. Thought his proportions were off though, for my taste, needed more cucumber so I added it in. If it wasn't for that straining method I wouldn't have been able to.

Great dish, will make again, lots.

Comment

What did the Tzatziki taste like? Wouldnt be a big fan of sour cream or the likes but would give these a shot if it was mild enough

Comment

What did the Tzatziki taste like? Wouldnt be a big fan of sour cream or the likes but would give these a shot if it was mild enough
                                                                                      Oh it's definitely mild. Garlic, cucumber, mint and lemon are the flavours, in Greek yoghurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                        Tzatziki is class. Would be interested in Mrs Lao's recipe if it's going?

I made that Brazilian fish stew with prawns and hake this evening and it is beautiful, thanks for the tip Eamo.
                                                                                        Sorry, meant to reply to this before now. It's pretty simple but it works

Ingredients

150g Greek Yoghurt
                                                                                        half a cucumber
                                                                                        2-4 cloves of garlic, depending on how big they are and how garlicy you want it - generally go with more is better
                                                                                        1 tbsp olive oil
                                                                                        1 tsp lemon juice
                                                                                        fresh mint, finely chopped
                                                                                        salt & pepper to taste

Peel the cucumber, cut in half lengthways, scoop all the seeds out and grate it fairly coarsely. Squeeze all the water out of it, do it a few times to make sure you get it all out.

Combine everything together and season with the salt & pepper. Leave it sit for a bit if you can before you eat it to let everything mingle together.

Comment

The Final Table (not poker related) on Netflix is a good show worth a watch. You just have to get over the OTT bullshit American production and editing. Was sceptical at first but it's a nightly watch for us now.

Comment

This was to die for btw. My new kofta recipe, the lemon zest was a great addition.

[IMG][/IMG]

Loved his technique for straining the cucumber for the tzatziki, usual recipe I follow has you straining it over a bowl for a couple of hours. Thought his proportions were off though, for my taste, needed more cucumber so I added it in. If it wasn't for that straining method I wouldn't have been able to.

Great dish, will make again, lots.
                                                                                            Made this last night, but can't add a picture. Turned out a treat

Comment

I get a lot of kudos over my stew sauce. It's pretty basic I think but for anybody who might want to try it...

1 x Knor Thick Chicken soup packet
                                                                                              1 x Knor Oxtail soup packet
                                                                                              1 x tube of Roma tomato puree
                                                                                              1 x beef stock
                                                                                              Sprinkle of ground black pepper

750ml water mixed into each soup. 600ml water to mix puree. 500ml hot water to break up beef stock. I mix them separately and make sure everything is liquid before it goes in the pot.
                                                                                              'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                Made this last night, but can't add a picture. Turned out a treat
                                                                                                used the flatbread recipie for earlier in the thread too. Who knew it would be so easy

Comment

Just bought the ingredients for this and even having them laid out on the counter they look good so really looking forward to making it tomorrow.

Comment

Just bought the ingredients for this and even having them laid out on the counter they look good so really looking forward to making it tomorrow.
                                                                                                    How did it work out for you?

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good Thai cook book?

Comment

How did it work out for you?
                                                                                                        Fantastic. Both really enjoyed it. I was sceptical about the tzatziki but I made it a good hour before anything else and popped it in the fridge and it was just gorgeous. Very happy with my culinary skills during lockdown

Comment

Nice one man, delighted you found something new.

Yeah, cooking is the best thing about lockdown.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good Thai cook book?
                                                                                                            I love Thai food. Large thai population here, so some unreal restaurants to choose from. I like trying new dishes, but can’t beat the classics either.

I have a Thai cooking book. It’s good for ideas. But most of the time I end up googling something I’ve had or seen on a menu. And tweaking to suit.
                                                                                                            If there’s a particular dish you are after I could probably point you in the right direction. Recommend starting with red, green, or massaman curry

Comment

I love Thai food. Large thai population here, so some unreal restaurants to choose from. I like trying new dishes, but can’t beat the classics either.

I have a Thai cooking book. It’s good for ideas. But most of the time I end up googling something I’ve had or seen on a menu. And tweaking to suit.
                                                                                                              If there’s a particular dish you are after I could probably point you in the right direction. Recommend starting with red, green, or massaman curry
                                                                                                              Get a nice spoon of peanut butter in your red curry for a panang style
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

I usually just but panang paste. It's a red pasts with peanut, but not sure in what sort and ratio.
                                                                                                                Sometimes add crush nuts to the top when serving.
                                                                                                                I mean, you can add as much peanut as you feel like, but at some point it's gonna be a satay.

This is from a thai curry thread I posted in the other place;

Red Curry Paste: Dried red chillies and the usual Thai curries staples
                                                                                                                Green Curry Paste: Fresh Green chillis and the rest
                                                                                                                Yellow curry paste: Tumeric, curry powder, dried chillis, sometimes other spices and the staples. Made with more coconut cream.
                                                                                                                Panang Curry paste: Milder red curry paste, with peanut incorporated
                                                                                                                Massaman Curry: Cardamom, cinnamon, mace, star anise, etc. Dried chillis and the rest.
                                                                                                                Jungle Curry: Red or green curry made without coconut milk/cream
                                                                                                                Sour Curry: Dried and fresh chillis, lots of lime and tamarind.
                                                                                                                I've gave them all a go, except the sour curry.
                                                                                                                Massaman Beef. Red Duck are the favourites

Comment

I usually just but panang paste. It's a red pasts with peanut, but not sure in what sort and ratio.
                                                                                                                  Sometimes add crush nuts to the top when serving.
                                                                                                                  I mean, you can add as much peanut as you feel like, but at some point it's gonna be a satay.

This is from a thai curry thread I posted in the other place;

I've gave them all a go, except the sour curry.
                                                                                                                  Massaman Beef. Red Duck are the favourites
                                                                                                                  Yeah I have used Penang paste too. But red + peanut butter definitely tastier.
                                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Yeah I have used Penang paste too. But red + peanut butter definitely tastier.
                                                                                                                    Clearly a secret satay fiend

Comment

Was just chatting to a mate on facebook there. He was in Nepal in early in the year. While he was there, they cancelled permits, closed the borders, and he's been stuck there on his own since. Hasn't seen his wife in months. Kinda puts in in perspective for the people complaining about being stuck at home with their families.

Comment

Was just chatting to a mate on facebook there. He was in Nepal in early in the year. While he was there, they cancelled permits, closed the borders, and he's been stuck there on his own since. Hasn't seen his wife in months. Kinda puts in in perspective for the people complaining about being stuck at home with their families.
                                                                                                                        Cool. Did he give you any good recipes?

Comment

Made Ramen today with a recipe a chef friend gave to me. I think it's the best thing I've ever made. He also sent a Pho recipe that I'll make next week some time. Ramen will be great for the winter evenings after training. Really enjoying adding so much cooking skills to what was a fairly limited repertoire and trying new things.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X